Real Linux advocacy

While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of
off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups
in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of
CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux
advocacy.
When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect
them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux
Steunpunt Maastricht.
http://linux.compusers.nl/
Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux,
*especially* next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems in
*their* use." (Windows & Linux).
--
comp.os.linux.advocacy, COLA, (it's close with COLON) widely known as "The
rectum of usenet".

0
clog_-_wog (697)

Clog_-_wog (�) wrote:
> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
> for Linux advocacy.

My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,  and
Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember asking
him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from
where most advocates came from in COLA.

I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more helpful
when it come to problems.

0
leaper (581)
4/10/2011 3:40:00 PM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:03:34 +0200, Clog_-_wog (�) wrote:

> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of
> off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups
> in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of
> CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux
> advocacy.
> When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect
> them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux
> Steunpunt Maastricht.
> http://linux.compusers.nl/
> Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux,
> *especially* next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems in
> *their* use." (Windows & Linux).

These so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are nothing more than a
collection of sad sack, miserable people.

They waste all their time whining about Microsoft and denying Linux's
problems.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/10/2011 3:58:17 PM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:40:00 -0500, Quantum Leaper wrote:

> Clog_-_wog (�) wrote:
>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
>> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
>> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
>> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
>> for Linux advocacy.
>
> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,  and
> Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember asking
> him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from
> where most advocates came from in COLA.
>
> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more helpful
> when it come to problems.

LUG are good places to get help.
Linux groups on the net are filled with wanabe kiddies living in their
parent's basement.

Social outcasts most of them.

COLA is the rectum of USENET.
It was set up specifically for that purpose.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/10/2011 4:15:20 PM
"flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> schreef in bericht
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:03:34 +0200, Clog_-_wog (�) wrote:
>
>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of
>> off-topic Microsoft rants, in the real world there are still a few
>> groups
>> in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of
>> CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux
>> advocacy.
>> When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I
>> redirect
>> them to the real Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only)
>> Linux
>> Steunpunt Maastricht.
>> http://linux.compusers.nl/
>> Platform Linux: "To help users to install and configure Linux,
>> especially next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems
>> in
>> their use." (Windows & Linux).
>
> These so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are nothing more than a
> collection of sad sack, miserable people.
>
> They waste all their time whining about Microsoft and denying Linux's
> problems.

Well, according to sMarti, this group from HCC (compusers) is totally
infested by Microsoft fan boys although they have a great Linux meeting on
May, 21 about Security. The Dutch user community of Ubuntu, openSUSE,
Certified Secure, Security.nl and Linux Magazine gives a substantial program
of lectures for both beginners and more experienced computer user. Of course
I'm going to attend this meeting.
http://www.compusers.nl/veiligheid-centraal-tijdens-hcclinux-themadag
I'm a member of HCC since 1994.
sMarti needs a tin foiled hat, just like his buddies Roy and [H]omer. sMarti
is total paranoid nutcase, since he fell in love with Roy Schestowitz.

0
clogwog (1758)
4/10/2011 5:10:05 PM
Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Clog_-_wog (?) wrote:
>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
>> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
>> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
>> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
>> for Linux advocacy.
>
> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,  and
> Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember asking
> him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from
> where most advocates came from in COLA.

Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the childish
sociopaths who post various provocations here.

> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more helpful
> when it come to problems.

You're full of it.  The groups that have not been targeted by trolls (e.g
the Debian and Gentoo groups) do just fine in supporting users.
Unfortunately, COLA and AOLU have attracted first-class disrupters who
prefer to push Windows and propagate insults and stalking.

For that reason, I would currently recommend COLA only to those willing to
see just how seamy the behavior can get against those who simply post
positive stories about GNU/Linux.

Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really opened my
eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has been.  In 1995,
I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company.  No more, my friend, no
more.  The current crop of thugs in management does a great disservice to
the good people working at Microsoft.

--
Earl Wiener, 55, a University of Miami professor of management science,
telling the Airline Pilots Association (in jest) about 21st century aircraft:

	"The crew will consist of one pilot and a dog.  The pilot will
	nurture and feed the dog.  The dog will be there to bite the
	pilot if he touches anything.
		-- Fortune, Sept. 26, 1988
		   [the *magazine*, silly!]
0
ahlstromc8504 (8208)
4/10/2011 6:03:01 PM
"Clogwog" <clogwog@anon.eu> writes:

> "flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> schreef in bericht
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:03:34 +0200, Clog_-_wog (®) wrote:
>>
>>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of
>>> off-topic Microsoft rants, in the real world there are still a few
>>> groups
>>> in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of
>>> CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux
>>> advocacy.
>>> When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I
>>> redirect
>>> them to the real Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only)
>>> Linux
>>> Steunpunt Maastricht.
>>> http://linux.compusers.nl/
>>> Platform Linux: "To help users to install and configure Linux,
>>> especially next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems
>>> in
>>> their use." (Windows & Linux).
>>
>> These so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are nothing more than a
>> collection of sad sack, miserable people.
>>
>> They waste all their time whining about Microsoft and denying Linux's
>> problems.
>>
> Well, according to sMarti, this group from HCC (compusers) is totally
> infested by Microsoft fan boys although they have a great Linux meeting on
> May, 21 about Security.

Was it all to do with plugging holes in the back doors?

0
hadronquark (21814)
4/10/2011 6:08:37 PM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:10:05 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

> Well, according to sMarti, this group from HCC (compusers) is totally
> infested by Microsoft fan boys although they have a great Linux meeting on
> May, 21 about Security. The Dutch user community of Ubuntu, openSUSE,
> Certified Secure, Security.nl and Linux Magazine gives a substantial program
> of lectures for both beginners and more experienced computer user. Of course
> I'm going to attend this meeting.
> http://www.compusers.nl/veiligheid-centraal-tijdens-hcclinux-themadag
> I'm a member of HCC since 1994.
> sMarti needs a tin foiled hat, just like his buddies Roy and [H]omer. sMarti
> is total paranoid nutcase, since he fell in love with Roy Schestowitz.

Watching sMarti suck up to Roy is nauseating.

"She's" a grown girl but can't seem to make a decision on her own.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/10/2011 6:20:44 PM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:03:01 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Clog_-_wog (?) wrote:
>>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
>>> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
>>> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
>>> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
>>> for Linux advocacy.
>>
>> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,  and
>> Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember asking
>> him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from
>> where most advocates came from in COLA.
>
> Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
> Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the childish
> sociopaths who post various provocations here.

Here is an example of Liarmutt (Chris Ahlstrom) treading carefully so he
doesn't offend the other Linux loons.

>> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
>> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more helpful
>> when it come to problems.
>
> You're full of it.  The groups that have not been targeted by trolls (e.g
> the Debian and Gentoo groups) do just fine in supporting users.

Really?
Try asking a noob question in the Gentoo group and see what happens.
They will tell you to RTFM and kick you to the curb.

They are a very unfriendly group.

Never looked at Debian.

> Unfortunately, COLA and AOLU have attracted first-class disrupters who
> prefer to push Windows and propagate insults and stalking.

Somebody has to correct the lies you LIEnux loons tell.

> For that reason, I would currently recommend COLA only to those willing to
> see just how seamy the behavior can get against those who simply post
> positive stories about GNU/Linux.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

You guys either LIE for LIEnux, like Rasker and his fairy tales or you
are attacking Windows, Microsoft, proprietary software, corporations
etc.

You as a group are a bunch of kooks.

> Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really opened my
> eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has been.  In 1995,
> I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company.  No more, my friend, no
> more.  The current crop of thugs in management does a great disservice to
> the good people working at Microsoft.

You just proved my point.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/10/2011 6:24:12 PM
"Hadron" <hadronquark@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> "Clogwog" <clogwog@anon.eu> writes:
>
>> "flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> schreef in bericht

>>> These so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are nothing more than a
>>> collection of sad sack, miserable people.
>>>
>>> They waste all their time whining about Microsoft and denying Linux's
>>> problems.
>>>
>> Well, according to sMarti, this group from HCC (compusers) is totally
>> infested by Microsoft fan boys although they have a great Linux meeting
>> on
>> May, 21 about Security.
>
> Was it all to do with plugging holes in the back doors?

Well, I guess smart Linux users do realize that Linux backdoor has increased
potential for damage, despite the yelling and shouting of cola loons that
Linux backdoor is safe!
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/images/ELF_TSUNAMI_R_TD3.jpg

0
clogwog (1758)
4/10/2011 7:13:43 PM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:40:00 -0500, Quantum Leaper wrote:

> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more
> helpful when it come to problems.

I've found the opposite to be true, "Quantum Leaper." When I ask questions
in Linux forums (specifically VectorLinux, CentOS and Linux Mint) I get
almost immediate responses from helpful members.

Now, goodbye. Enjoy your trolling "QL."

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:03:01 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Clog_-_wog (?) wrote:
>>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of
>>> off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few
>>> groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members
>>> of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux
>>> advocacy.
>>
>> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,
>> and Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember
>> asking him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the
>> rock from where most advocates came from in COLA.

I'm sure he meant the *windows* advocates who infest this group with their
drivel, morons like QL & the Clog_idiot.

> Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
> Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the childish
> sociopaths who post various provocations here.

>> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
>> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more
>> helpful when it come to problems.
>
> You're full of it.  The groups that have not been targeted by trolls (e.g
> the Debian and Gentoo groups) do just fine in supporting users.
> Unfortunately, COLA and AOLU have attracted first-class disrupters who
> prefer to push Windows and propagate insults and stalking.

Indeed.

> For that reason, I would currently recommend COLA only to those willing to
> see just how seamy the behavior can get against those who simply post
> positive stories about GNU/Linux.
>
> Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really opened
> my eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has been.  In 1995,
> I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company.  No more, my friend, no
> more.  The current crop of thugs in management does a great disservice to
> the good people working at Microsoft.

+1

0
wp2061 (3218)
4/10/2011 10:16:53 PM
RonB wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:40:00 -0500, Quantum Leaper wrote:
>
>> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
>> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more
>> helpful when it come to problems.
>
> I've found the opposite to be true, "Quantum Leaper." When I ask
> questions in Linux forums (specifically VectorLinux, CentOS and Linux
> Mint) I get almost immediate responses from helpful members.

Forum tend to be Web related,  Newsgroups are hosted by different servers.
There are a lot of good Web forums but that wasn't what I was taking about.
I never said people who use Linux are unhelpful but the jokers who use the
Newsgroups are very unhelpful.

> Now, goodbye. Enjoy your trolling "QL."

Thank you for proving my point.  The truth is trolling....

0
leaper (581)
4/10/2011 10:52:27 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Clog_-_wog (?) wrote:
>>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
>>> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
>>> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
>>> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
>>> for Linux advocacy.
>>
>> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,
>> and Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I
>> remember asking him about it once and he thought they should crawl
>> back under the rock from where most advocates came from in COLA.
>
> Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
> Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the
> childish sociopaths who post various provocations here.

Did you look in a mirror?   I guess you wouldn't know what a friend was,
neither would most of the basement dwellers of this newsgroup.
The problem is I agree with my friend opinion of COLA,   it full of Nuts,
all you need is some squirrels to clean them out.

>> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
>> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more
>> helpful when it come to problems.
>
> You're full of it.  The groups that have not been targeted by trolls
> (e.g the Debian and Gentoo groups) do just fine in supporting users.
> Unfortunately, COLA and AOLU have attracted first-class disrupters who
> prefer to push Windows and propagate insults and stalking.

No,  I wish I was full of it,  with that statement.  If you get a reply its
RTFM or something like that if they respond to you at all.   You forgot COLA
attacts it own class of crazies too,   good example is 7.

> For that reason, I would currently recommend COLA only to those
> willing to see just how seamy the behavior can get against those who
> simply post positive stories about GNU/Linux.

I would NEVER recommend COLA to someone other than Comic Relief.

> Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really
> opened my eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has
> been.  In 1995,
> I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company.  No more, my friend,
> no more.  The current crop of thugs in management does a great
> disservice to the good people working at Microsoft.

Microsoft wants/wanted/is another IBM.   IBM put enough companies out of
business with their methods,  the same with Microsoft.   Now IBM is a
'great' company to Linux advocates,  I wonder if 20 years from now will
Microsoft be the same?

0
leaper (581)
4/10/2011 11:04:29 PM
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Clog_-_wog (®) wrote:
>> While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds
>> of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a
>> few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the
>> members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA
>> for Linux advocacy.
>
> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,  and
> Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I remember asking
> him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from
> where most advocates came from in COLA.
>
> I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the
> simplest of problems,   I find the local Linux user group a lot more helpful
> when it come to problems.

IRC is great for the bigguns: Ubie, Fedora, Suse...Lot of smart guys on
there.

*R* *H*
--
          Powered by Linux	     |/       2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
 "No spyware. No viruses. No nags."  |/     2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
William Poaster wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really opened
>> my eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has been. =A0In 19=
95,
>> I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company. =A0No more, my friend, =
no
>> more. =A0The current crop of thugs in management does a great disservice=
>> the good people working at Microsoft.
>
> +1

+2

--
HPT
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:12:20 -0700 (PDT), High Plains Thumper wrote:

> William Poaster wrote:
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, their behavior (as well as news articles) have really opened
>>> my eyes to just how pernicious an influence Microsoft has been. �In 1995,
>>> I thought Microsoft was a pretty decent company. �No more, my friend, no
>>> more. �The current crop of thugs in management does a great disservice to
>>> the good people working at Microsoft.
>>
>> +1
>
> +2

What are you going to do when you run out of fingers and toes?

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/11/2011 4:56:57 AM
flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:12:20 -0700 (PDT), High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> William Poaster wrote:

>>> +1
>>
>> +2
>
> What are you going to do when you run out of fingers and toes?

Would you listen to Chris there referring to MS management as "thugs" as
if he knows anything whatsoever about them! LOL! He sure has a high
opinion of himself!

Not bad for a backwater QA drone who dabbles in C when his bosses aren't
looking ;) *chuckle*.
0
hadronquark (21814)
4/11/2011 5:58:14 AM
Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games,
>>> and Unix at work,  pretty much agrees with that statement.  I
>>> remember asking him about it once and he thought they should crawl
>>> back under the rock from where most advocates came from in COLA.
>>
>> Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
>> Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the
>> childish sociopaths who post various provocations here.
>>
> Did you look in a mirror?   I guess you wouldn't know what a friend was,
> neither would most of the basement dwellers of this newsgroup.
> The problem is I agree with my friend opinion of COLA,   it full of Nuts,
> all you need is some squirrels to clean them out.

Trolling idiot.

--
She ran the gamut of emotions from 'A' to 'B'.
		-- Dorothy Parker, on a Kate Hepburn performance
Quantum Leaper wrote:

>The problem is I agree with my friend opinion of COLA,   it full of Nuts,
>all you need is some squirrels to clean them out.

Irrelevant to your assertion that Linux people in "most Linux
newsgroups" are "unwilling or unable to help in the simplest of
problems".

I don't find your charge to be true even *here*, despite the low
signal-to-noise ratio, and the fact that this is not a help group.

0
chrisv (22840)
4/11/2011 1:31:28 PM
chrisv wrote:
> Quantum Leaper wrote:
>
>> The problem is I agree with my friend opinion of COLA,   it full of
>> Nuts, all you need is some squirrels to clean them out.
>
> Irrelevant to your assertion that Linux people in "most Linux
> newsgroups" are "unwilling or unable to help in the simplest of
> problems".
>
> I don't find your charge to be true even *here*, despite the low
> signal-to-noise ratio, and the fact that this is not a help group.

Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help' newsgroup.
I find my local user group the best help for problems,  and newsgroups the
worst,  other than COLA....

0
leaper (581)
4/12/2011 3:59:09 AM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Quantum Leaper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>>> Who cares what your "friend" says?  This group has its share of
>>> Linux-supporting morons, but a far greater influence has been the
>>> childish sociopaths who post various provocations here.
>>>
>> Did you look in a mirror?   I guess you wouldn't know what a friend
>> was, neither would most of the basement dwellers of this newsgroup.
>> The problem is I agree with my friend opinion of COLA,   it full of
>> Nuts, all you need is some squirrels to clean them out.
>
> Trolling idiot.

So 7 has all his marbles?

0
leaper (581)
4/12/2011 4:02:14 AM
YOn 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help' newsgroup.
> I find my local user group the best help for problems,  and newsgroups the
> worst,  other than COLA....

You obviously don't use linux.

Gentoo users have linux.gentoo.user to help them with any problems they
may have. It is well patronised and as long as the question is framed
properly, with enough detail, the question will be answered by the
resident Gentoo experts. This is a community, not a business and the
resident Gentoo experts answer questions with a genuine desire to help,
as long as the questioner is willing to provide enough information to
solve the problem and also that they have done some reading of available
documentation. If the questioner expects others to do their work for
them then they won't get any answers.

If you want your hand held and to have someone do the work of doing the
reading and solving your problems for you then you should stay with
Windows or buy yourself some technical help... running a commercial
Linux distro, eg Redhat.

Gentoo also has a great bug tracker at http://bugs.gentoo.org

It also has some of the best, most comprehensive documentation of any
Linux distro at http://www.gentoo.org

--
Regards,
Gregory.
On 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> So 7 has all his marbles?

Enough to run Linux. Do you?

--
Regards,
Gregory.
On 12 Apr 2011 08:14:49 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> So 7 has all his marbles?
>>

> Enough to run Linux. Do you?

How you Linux idiots can continue to defend a liar and fraud is beyond
reason.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
4/12/2011 2:37:13 PM
On 2011-04-12, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote:
> YOn 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help' newsgroup.
>> I find my local user group the best help for problems,  and newsgroups the
>> worst,  other than COLA....
>
> You obviously don't use linux.
>
> Gentoo users have linux.gentoo.user to help them with any problems they
> may have. It is well patronised and as long as the question is framed
> properly, with enough detail, the question will be answered by the

    Ubuntu doesn't have a great newsgroup in terms of help and support
but I think that has more to do with the fact that the average Ubuntu
is is far less likely to use Usenet.

[deletia]

    OTOH, this sort of thing is usually not terribly distro centric.

    Gentoo forum postings can be very helpful even to an Ubuntu user.

--
	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \
Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> So 7 has all his marbles?
>>

> Enough to run Linux. Do you?

Currently Unbuntu is running on my P4 3GHz,  that I pulled from the trash.
The only OS I don't like/run is OSX,  though it is getting a little but
hardware compatibility stinks at times,  just like Linux or older versions
of Windows.

I'm not sure if it takes marbles or guts to run Linux.

0
leaper (581)
4/12/2011 5:29:55 PM
Gregory Shearman wrote:
> YOn 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help'
>> newsgroup. I find my local user group the best help for problems,
>> and newsgroups the worst,  other than COLA....
>
> You obviously don't use linux.

I have Unbuntu installed on my P4 3GHz,  I pulled from the trash,  my old P4
3GHz,  had a motherboard problem and Linux and XP wouldn't running well on
that machine.  Linux would do strange things, like not connecting to the net
for updates even though I could use the Firefox,  and XP would give an error
about the Boot drive not being there,   I would have to boot to Safe Mode
but it would go to safe mode,  it would boot to the normal desktop.

> Gentoo users have linux.gentoo.user to help them with any problems
> they may have. It is well patronised and as long as the question is
> framed properly, with enough detail, the question will be answered by
> the resident Gentoo experts. This is a community, not a business and
> the resident Gentoo experts answer questions with a genuine desire to
> help, as long as the questioner is willing to provide enough
> information to solve the problem and also that they have done some
> reading of available documentation. If the questioner expects others
> to do their work for them then they won't get any answers.

I don't use Gentoo,  so how I would know,  but I stick by my statement the
MOST Usenet Linux help groups suck if you want real help.  Like I said
before a Local usergroup is the best place to find help if you need help
with Linux.

> If you want your hand held and to have someone do the work of doing
> the reading and solving your problems for you then you should stay
> with Windows or buy yourself some technical help... running a
> commercial Linux distro, eg Redhat.

I don't need my hand held but it would be nice to have questions answer
other than RTFM. When I have already RTFM and couldn't find the answer...

> Gentoo also has a great bug tracker at http://bugs.gentoo.org
>
> It also has some of the best, most comprehensive documentation of any
> Linux distro at http://www.gentoo.org

Maybe when I get a new HD,  I will try gentoo,  since then I will be moving
my 120G HD out of my current computer and into the Linux machine.

0
leaper (581)
4/12/2011 5:44:09 PM
JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2011-04-12, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote:
>> YOn 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help'
>>> newsgroup. I find my local user group the best help for problems,
>>> and newsgroups the worst,  other than COLA....
>>
>> You obviously don't use linux.
>>
>> Gentoo users have linux.gentoo.user to help them with any problems
>> they may have. It is well patronised and as long as the question is
>> framed properly, with enough detail, the question will be answered
>> by the
>
>    Ubuntu doesn't have a great newsgroup in terms of help and support
> but I think that has more to do with the fact that the average Ubuntu
> is is far less likely to use Usenet.

Anytime there is HELP in the name of a newgroup on the usenet,  it would be
helpful if it linux.

0
leaper (581)
4/12/2011 5:47:01 PM
flatfish+++ wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2011 08:14:49 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> On 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So 7 has all his marbles?
>>>

>> Enough to run Linux. Do you?
>
> How you Linux idiots can continue to defend a liar and fraud is beyond
> reason.

First we would have to establish that he is indeed a liar and a fraud.

What *has* been established though is that you are one of the filthiest
racists ever to post on usenet. You *are* a liar  a a fraud, flatfish Gary
Stewart. Apart from the fact that you are also a thief.

So I take a "7" every time gladly in the light of your continued posting of
your inane garbage. Espacially when filthy scum like you declares him a
"liar" and a "fraud"

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:54:56 +0200, Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> Enough to run Linux. Do you?
>>
>> How you Linux idiots can continue to defend a liar and fraud is beyond
>> reason.
>>

> First we would have to establish that he is indeed a liar and a fraud.

Unlike the M$ fanboi Hadron, who *is* a liar & a fraud. He must be proud
to be defended by such scum as the flatfish & DFS racists.

> What *has* been established though is that you are one of the filthiest
> racists ever to post on usenet. You *are* a liar  a a fraud, flatfish Gary
> Stewart. Apart from the fact that you are also a thief.
>
> So I take a "7" every time gladly in the light of your continued posting
> of your inane garbage. Espacially when filthy scum like you declares him a
> "liar" and a "fraud"

0
wp2061 (3218)
4/12/2011 10:17:48 PM
On 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman wrote:
>> YOn 2011-04-12, Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help'
>>> newsgroup. I find my local user group the best help for problems,
>>> and newsgroups the worst,  other than COLA....
>>
>> You obviously don't use linux.
>>
> I have Unbuntu installed on my P4 3GHz,  I pulled from the trash,  my old P4
> 3GHz,  had a motherboard problem and Linux and XP wouldn't running well on
> that machine.  Linux would do strange things, like not connecting to the net
> for updates even though I could use the Firefox,  and XP would give an error
> about the Boot drive not being there,   I would have to boot to Safe Mode
> but it would go to safe mode,  it would boot to the normal desktop.

I have Gentoo installed on a Marvell (ARM) SheevaPlug. It runs on 5W and
runs at 1.2GHz and has half a gig of memory. I use this as a database
server and a small webserver. It also serves portage updates to my
network and portage distfiles:

gregory@shiva ~ $ dmesg | grep -e 'ARM' -e 'kernwiz'
Linux version 2.6.36.4 (kernwiz@shiva) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Gentoo 4.4.5
p1.2, pie-0.4.5) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed Mar 30 12:36:02 EST 2011
CPU: Feroceon 88FR131 [56251311] revision 1 (ARMv5TE), cr=00053177

I also have an HP pavilion dv6 laptop with a quadcore intel i7
processor, and 4G of memory

Both run Gentoo linux with no problems at all.

I also run Ubuntu 10.4 Netbook edition on an eeepc701 with 2G of memory.
It is run as a desktop machine with an external monitor and a Microsoft
keyboard and mouse wireless set.

I've never had any problems setting up these machines and I have never
had to resort to asking for help in the "help" forums. Everything I need
to research a problem is online.

I also have other assorted pieces of hardware attached to my network.
Linux is especially suited to small embedded devices.

>> Gentoo users have linux.gentoo.user to help them with any problems
>> they may have. It is well patronised and as long as the question is
>> framed properly, with enough detail, the question will be answered by
>> the resident Gentoo experts. This is a community, not a business and
>> the resident Gentoo experts answer questions with a genuine desire to
>> help, as long as the questioner is willing to provide enough
>> information to solve the problem and also that they have done some
>> reading of available documentation. If the questioner expects others
>> to do their work for them then they won't get any answers.
>>
> I don't use Gentoo,  so how I would know,  but I stick by my statement the
> MOST Usenet Linux help groups suck if you want real help.  Like I said
> before a Local usergroup is the best place to find help if you need help
> with Linux.

I hear the hufpuffing of goalpost shifting.

You said:

"Hate to say this but COLA gives better advice that any 'Help' newsgroup.
I find my local user group the best help for problems,  and newsgroups
the worst,  other than COLA...."

ANY 'help' newsgroup.

If you don't know, then don't make blanket statements about Linux as
though you are an authority on the subject. You leave yourself open to
ridicule.

>> If you want your hand held and to have someone do the work of doing
>> the reading and solving your problems for you then you should stay
>> with Windows or buy yourself some technical help... running a
>> commercial Linux distro, eg Redhat.
>>
> I don't need my hand held but it would be nice to have questions answer
> other than RTFM. When I have already RTFM and couldn't find the answer...

I've you've read the manual then no one would say "RTFM". Do you have an
actual LINK describing this behaviour. Probably not. It sounds like you
are repeating microsoft trolling points.

>> Gentoo also has a great bug tracker at http://bugs.gentoo.org
>>
>> It also has some of the best, most comprehensive documentation of any
>> Linux distro at http://www.gentoo.org
>>
> Maybe when I get a new HD,  I will try gentoo,  since then I will be moving
> my 120G HD out of my current computer and into the Linux machine.

You want to "try" Gentoo? There are a number of people with expertise
actually writing in *this* newsgroup. If you ask the right questions
you'll get valuable answers.

--
Regards,
Gregory.
Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> mentally-ill troll wrote:
>>
>> How you Linux idiots can continue to defend a liar and fraud is beyond
>> reason.

This is nothing but an admission that you Wintrolls are "beyond
reason", since you are all liars and frauds, and you all defend each
other.

What a pathetic, shitty little group, you are.  All filth, and you all
*know* it, and you don't care!

>First we would have to establish that he is indeed a liar and a fraud.

Even if 7 did make some mistakes some years back, it's not relevant to
this newsgroup.  Only what is posted to this newsgroup is relevant,
here.

>What *has* been established though is that you are one of the filthiest
>racists ever to post on usenet. You *are* a liar  a a fraud, flatfish Gary
>Stewart. Apart from the fact that you are also a thief.
>
>So I take a "7" every time gladly in the light of your continued posting of
>your inane garbage. Espacially when filthy scum like you declares him a
>"liar" and a "fraud"

That he is attacked by the Wintrolling vermin is, in fact, a positive
endorsement of him.

--
'Another freetard who "advocates" Linux while using Windows every day
to get his work done.' -- trolling fsckwit Ezekiel
useless piece of shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>
>> mentally-ill troll wrote:
>>>
>>> How you Linux idiots can continue to defend a liar and fraud is beyond
>>> reason.
>
> This is nothing but an admission that you Wintrolls are "beyond
> reason", since you are all liars and frauds, and you all defend each
> other.
>
> What a pathetic, shitty little group, you are.  All filth, and you all
> *know* it, and you don't care!

go fsck yourself you mentally ill piece of shit.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
gold4874 (12)

Some REAL Linux Advocacy
A few weeks back I decided to take the plunge and convert my workstation to linux. That was not a decision that was made lightly because the work I do requires me to use Microsoft products. There are no alternatives - the organisation's entire office runs on tightly integrated Microsoft software that extends well beyond simple office applications and into Microsoft back-ends and Microsoft middle-ware. The open source alternatives to MS software simply do not handle the compelexity of the documents, files and systems that I have to work with. Certainly there is no open source alternative t...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

Linux advocacy in real life
I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux (for the past decade) I am able to help novices. I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards. The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in the closet". However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek and mostly we share the same interests. He followed a study and graduated last year as a &qu...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

[News] [Linux] New and Extensive Linux Introduction/Advocacy Page
Introduction to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The very first thing that must be understood about Linux is that | is it open-source software. Think about the open nature of a | chocolate chip cookie recipe and how all the people who use ita | re legally allowed to modify and redistribute the recipe if they | wish, provided they're given permission to do so from the author... `---- http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html > > It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the (Linux) fortress! That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. -- K. http://slated.org ,---- | <This sig left intentionally blank> `---- Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5 00:07:59 up 41 days, 21:40, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.08 "[H]omer" <spam@uce.gov> writes: > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html >> >> It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. > > I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the > (Linux) fortress! > > That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. I particularly enjoy...

Where is the Linux Advocacy?
Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?" It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the groups subjects. Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass on both Windows and Mac. The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two. It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or from the shut down menu. When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will spread out on the desktop, where You can choose. A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then another distro can be ready for install. By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to burn an install disk. You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop. Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!! Jens On May 7, 11:48=A0pm, Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> wrote: > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?" > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries ...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

How-To...Linux Advocacy...
This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy. 1. Never admit Linux's faults. Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute it. 2. Blame the user. 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same hardware works fine with Windows. 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good tactic. 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the opponent guessing! 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the wagons around you. 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let it stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called LIEnux advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition can't accuse you of siding with known liars. There are 10k more..... Feel free to add... -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at de...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

COLA is full of fanatic Linux Zealots. Look Elsewhere for Linux Advocacy.
I tried a little experiment and that was to post to COLA making certain to agree with the usual morons like Schestowitz, [Homer], Terry Porter and so forth. I was very careful to make certain that I did not set them off by posting controversial information. IOW I became a COLA "Stepford wife" for a week or so. It was extremely difficult to accomplish because the list of so called Linux "advocates", at least that is what they call themselves, is small in number but high on their own special form of bullshit. Then *ON PURPOSE* , that part is important for those who like to...

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity #2
[...]

the new computer -os-linux+advocacy in 2008
gwedfw edhklsc jfdh fefgh n http://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g924418-pmem ...

20 years of Linux Advocacy, who are those self anointed Linux "advocates"?
Most lies told: Roy "Spammer" Spamowitz (10 ahead of Liarmutt) Rudest poster: Peter K�hlmann (called people "retards" 289 times/ "idiot' 512 times), <Tattoo Vampire just has to try harder!> Thickest poster: (W)Ron(g)B (awarded for life btw as obviously no one is ever going to pip him). Pettiest "Net Nanny" and most pursing of lips: Willy "Filters" Boaster, ex aequo chrisv / HPT Poster most liable to send you to sleep: Rex Ballard Most incomprehensible poster: Jebbediah Biggest "it's ok to steal things" GPL offender: Andrew "I have a degree" Halliwell Poster most up his own arse: Mark Kent Most paranoid clown: [Homer] Most useless poster (20 gigabytes of other peoples work) : High Plains Rafael/Thumper/Wendy. Poster most likely to be put in a strait jacket and carted off : 7. Lifetime stupidity award: Terry Telnet and Gortard (hard to decide who's the biggest cretin.) -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.h...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

Are Linux Lusers Really Displaced Locksmiths? (Foley Belsaw School of Linux Advocacy)
Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for Locksmith lusers? If not, they should! It could be a real money maker IMHO. On Thursday 22 September 2005 00:11 Lisa Cottmann wrote: > Does Foley Belsaw Nono Susan - I'm sure Foley doesn't cross post. Please stop, silly girl. Bill "Lisa Cottmann" <lisa_cottmann@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1127344265.713851.255270@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for > Locksmith lusers? > > If not, they should! > > It coul...

Request for Linux Advocacy
I have been reading and posting in COLA for a bit... and I have been honest about my background and my views: * I know OS X and XP very well... and prefer OS X * I have worked some with Linux, especially Ubuntu, and find that while it has some advantages I still believe OS X serves many, if not most, users better I have stated my reasons - or at least some of them - for my views, and I have asked others to *advocate* for Linux: to state what distro would fit requirements I have found help new and non-techy users *or* list things I did not think of that would help this group. For the most part I got very weak answers, though the concepts of price, ease of software install through repositories, and choice were mentioned (and maybe some others: those were the main ones but I would have to check to make sure I did not leave out anyone's pet feature). Price and software repositories seem pretty clear - even though OS X does link to its own software site that allows for pretty easy access to a great deal of software. Choice, on the other hand, does not seem to be as easy to support... I have asked how this helps users and, frankly, the answers have been pretty weak. It seems to be much more of a philosophical "benefit" than any real benefit to the user - though, of course, there are both pros and cons to having more options. Overall, it seems at best to be a wash (though, of course, it depends on the exact needs!). Jamie Hart: I appreciate your comments eve...

why does linux need advocacy?
Hi cheerleaders, Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need cheerleading. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > Hi cheerleaders, > > Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need > cheerleading. What's your point? -- rapskat - 18:58:47 up 15:17, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.22 I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert. On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > >> Hi cheerleaders, >> >> Hackers do wh...

The Problem With Linux Advocacy......
The biggest problem with Linux advocacy boils down to the people involved with it. The core group so to speak. In reality there are 3 different groups. 1. The Student types who are bamboozled by their professors and have never worked in the real world. This is nothing new. Back in the 60's and 70's the same thing took place. See Berkeley for examples. 2. The retired, fossil, religious; limousine "liberal" type of advocate. These are the people who no doubt made their fortunes with Windows and now that they are set for life all of a sudden are advocates for FOSS and want others to give their works away. 3. The neophyte who is looking for something free. For #1 you will learn soon enough. For #2 You know full well and are nothing but a hypocrite. For #3 see #1. -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html Desktop Linux on Life Support: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508 On Jun 18, 12:09=A0pm, flatfish+++ <flatf...@maria...

The Linux Advocacy Bible
This group,comp.os.linux.advocacy, has become an absolute farce and is nothing more than a troll infested flame fest with little or no advocacy taking place. It seems that the so called Linux advocates, if there even is such a thing in COLA, are following the same script day in and day out. Here is what passes for advocacy in COLA. 1.The distribution switcheroo. If a person has troubles with Mandrake, suggest SuSE. If troubles with SuSE suggest Redhat and on and on. It;'s a never ending battle. 2. The dependency switcheroo. If a person has dependency problems with Mandrake suggest...

A bit of Linux Advocacy...
And by "a bit", i mean a small amount. I just spent 3 days struggling with getting Ubuntu 7.10 installed and functioning correctly on a pretty run-of-the-mill configuration. Core 2 Duo E6300 MSI P965 Neo-F Motherboard 4GB DDR2 160GB SATA Drive nVidia GeForce 7100 GS 256MB (dual head) USB Speakers USB Keyboard/Mouse 1 Gateway FPD2485W 24" Moniotr (1920x1200) 1 Acer AL1917W 19" Monitor (1440x900) Let's start from the beginning. Everything went smooth with the download and burning of the CD. So, I put the CD in the drive and booted up to a nice Ubuntu boot menu. I ...

Linux advocacy leaflets
Hi. Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to Gnu/Linux/Free software? Joeboy wrote: > Hi. > > Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to > Gnu/Linux/Free software? Create you own. -- A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated. -(iAn)- wrote: > Joeboy wrote: > >> Hi. >> >> Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to >> Gnu/Linux/Free software? > > Create you own. The typical Linonut ...

Web resources about - Real Linux advocacy - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Advocacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advocacy is a political process by an individual or group which aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and ...

Advocacy Group To Facebook: Don’t Track Kids
As Facebook considers letting kids younger than 13 create accounts, the Center for Digital Democracy sent a letter to Co-Founder and CEO Mark ...

Open letter to Mark Zuckerberg on Net Neutrality advocacy in India
You have said that “connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation.” We all agree. We also believe that a connectivity ...

Extole raises $7.6M for social advocacy platform
... Developer Extole today announced that it has raised an additional $7.6 million in funding. Extole, which bills itself as a “social advocacy ...

PP Advocacy Fund MA (@PPAdvocacyMA) on Twitter

All sizes - Design thinking for advocacy - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

YouTube - Ross Mirkarimi ADA / Disability Rights / MOD / ADVOCACY ??? - SF Sheriff - 112712p6 (FINAL) ...
Veröffentlicht am 01.12.2012 So in the end after MUCH explanation, in addition to the CITY AGENCIES' EXPERTS attempt at "HANDLING" me and AFTER ...

Greens' advocacy forces other NSW parties to heed environment
Whichever party forms government after the NSW election, the Greens will be essential in both houses of the State Parliament if the environment ...

Australian advocacy ruined most arguments for a reprieve
&nbsp;I'm fairly unmoved by the executions of two Australian drug smugglers in Indonesia.

Catalyst host Maryanne Demasi in the business of advocacy, not journalism
The national broadcaster&rsquo;s science program fails the test for balance and objectivity.