So Let's Go App For App.. Linux vs Windows vs OSX.

For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents"=
 to the applications offered on the Windows and OSX platforms. Having used =
and currently using Linux I know full well this is not the case and that it=
 really comes down to the people who support Linux and FOSS having extremel=
y low standards.
But things do change and I am certainly willing to learn so why not put som=
e rubber on the road and discuss the actual facts instead of rhetoric and p=
artisan lines.

So let's have a thread where we can discuss and compare popular application=
s on the Linux platform vs the Windows and OSX platforms. The only criteria=
 is that we ignore cross platform applications like Gimp or LibreOffice or =
VLC, mplayer etc.
Also I'm talking about popular user applications, not oddball programming t=
ools that only developers are interested in.

And let's try and keep it to mainstream, popular applications in the sense =
of user Joe needing to do the typical things average users do.
Also even the most ardent Windows user will acknowledge that package manage=
ment is a great advantage for Linux so that's another given. There are seve=
ral more like choice, configurability etc. So let's let those go to Linux.

So I will start with iTunes.

Personally I don't have a single iStore purchased tune.
All external CD ripped, podcasts and so forth.
I do prefer Media Monkey but I would say iTunes is much more popular.

So what is the Linux equivalent, and how is it superior to iTunes?

Let's discuss this one and then after the thread is exhausted, someone else=
 can propose another application and we can discuss that one.

And of course, we can also look at it from the Linux/FOSS point of view so =
the next person in line might want to discuss a Linux application and we ca=
n discuss the Windows/OSX alternatives.

Game?
Or chicken?

P.S. Snit is going to love this thread. I can see his screen recording prog=
ram going into overdrive.
Willy Poaster is going to hate this thread because a +1 won't carry any wei=
ght.

0
JermGerm

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 20:50:52 -0700 (PDT), JermGerm
<jeremywalmartprescottaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents" to the applications offered on the Windows and OSX platforms. Having used and currently using Linux I know full well this is not the case and that it really comes down to the people who support Linux and FOSS having extremely low standards.
>But things do change and I am certainly willing to learn so why not put some rubber on the road and discuss the actual facts instead of rhetoric and partisan lines.
>
>So let's have a thread where we can discuss and compare popular applications on the Linux platform vs the Windows and OSX platforms. The only criteria is that we ignore cross platform applications like Gimp or LibreOffice or VLC, mplayer etc.
>Also I'm talking about popular user applications, not oddball programming tools that only developers are interested in.
>
>And let's try and keep it to mainstream, popular applications in the sense of user Joe needing to do the typical things average users do.
>Also even the most ardent Windows user will acknowledge that package management is a great advantage for Linux so that's another given. There are several more like choice, configurability etc. So let's let those go to Linux.
>
>So I will start with iTunes.
>
>Personally I don't have a single iStore purchased tune.
>All external CD ripped, podcasts and so forth.
>I do prefer Media Monkey but I would say iTunes is much more popular.
>
>So what is the Linux equivalent, and how is it superior to iTunes?
>
>Let's discuss this one and then after the thread is exhausted, someone else can propose another application and we can discuss that one.
>
>And of course, we can also look at it from the Linux/FOSS point of view so the next person in line might want to discuss a Linux application and we can discuss the Windows/OSX alternatives.
>
>Game?
>Or chicken?
>
>P.S. Snit is going to love this thread. I can see his screen recording program going into overdrive.
>Willy Poaster is going to hate this thread because a +1 won't carry any weight.

Don't even bother because you are wasting your time. As a former Linux
zealot I see myself in the behavior of most of the so called Linux
advocates in COLA. I used to walk the walk and talk the talk and I did
so mostly blindly because it was far easier to follow the preacher
then to actually check the facts for myself.

So if someone said something like " I used GnuWeddings to plan my
daughter's wedding and it was great" I would simply agree and add to
the positive Linux press. The truth is, I never used most of those
programs and even if I did I would deny or ignore the problems or low
quality because it was Linux, it was free and I was a dyed in the wool
Linux advocate.

And it didn't matter what others who tried the program and realized it
sucked said. After all they were just Wintrolls and would be labeled
as such as they were discredited by people like me.

The breaking point for me was when a program call Amarok destroyed the
tagging in my massive mp3 collection. I never told it to change tags
but it did and created havoc. Fortunately I had the drive backed up
and it was trivial to restore the files but that was it for me.

So one day I had a talk with Jesus, actually it was Jack Daniels but
same thing and I realized how much total horse shit and low quality
applications I was not only tolerating but advocating simply because
it was Linux or free software.
I realized that I had gotten duped and was so entwined in a community
that would lie right to my face in order to push their agenda, Linux.

It was at that point that I wiped Linux from my life forever and went
back to Windows. And I tell you, it was refreshing and enlightening to
see how much I was really missing by using Linux.

So, if you think you are going to get some reasonable discussion
points from these crazy Linux liars, forget it.
You are better off going to a magician's conference and asking them
how they do their tricks.

0
Donald
4/7/2015 4:53:40 AM
On 2015-04-07, Donald Miller <donaldmiller955@mail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 20:50:52 -0700 (PDT), JermGerm
><jeremywalmartprescottaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents"

[deletia]

>>So I will start with iTunes.

    ANYTHING that isn't trying to be everything and the kitchen sink
is going to be better than iTunes. That means that ALL apps that are
specifically meant to present music to the user for playback are going
to be equal or better to iTunes, regardless of platform.

   Again, you are doing nothing but spouting brand fixated nonsense.

   There's nothing particularly special about iTunes. Never was.

[deletia]

> Don't even bother because you are wasting your time. As a former Linux
> zealot I see myself in the behavior of most of the so called Linux

   Again, try to get past the brand fixated nonsense and actually talk
about some useful tools and stop the mindless poser name dropping.

[deletia]

   Do you do anything with your PC besides troll Usenet. It certainly
doesn't seem that way.

--
	Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone               |||
	who has pirated their music                                  / | \
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 08:06:16 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2015-04-07, Donald Miller <donaldmiller955@mail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 20:50:52 -0700 (PDT), JermGerm
>><jeremywalmartprescottaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents"
>
> [deletia]
>
>>>So I will start with iTunes.
>
>     ANYTHING that isn't trying to be everything and the kitchen sink
> is going to be better than iTunes. That means that ALL apps that are
> specifically meant to present music to the user for playback are going
> to be equal or better to iTunes, regardless of platform.
>
>    Again, you are doing nothing but spouting brand fixated nonsense.
>
>    There's nothing particularly special about iTunes. Never was.
>
> [deletia]
>
>> Don't even bother because you are wasting your time. As a former Linux
>> zealot I see myself in the behavior of most of the so called Linux
>
>    Again, try to get past the brand fixated nonsense and actually talk
> about some useful tools and stop the mindless poser name dropping.
>
> [deletia]
>
>    Do you do anything with your PC besides troll Usenet. It certainly
> doesn't seem that way.

So you can't offer an alternative.
Got it.
0
Tomas
4/7/2015 2:16:33 PM
On 2015-04-06 11:50 PM, JermGerm wrote:
> For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents" to the applications offered on the Windows and OSX platforms. Having used and currently using Linux I know full well this is not the case and that it really comes down to the people who support Linux and FOSS having extremely low standards.
> But things do change and I am certainly willing to learn so why not put some rubber on the road and discuss the actual facts instead of rhetoric and partisan lines.
>
> So let's have a thread where we can discuss and compare popular applications on the Linux platform vs the Windows and OSX platforms. The only criteria is that we ignore cross platform applications like Gimp or LibreOffice or VLC, mplayer etc.
> Also I'm talking about popular user applications, not oddball programming tools that only developers are interested in.
>
> And let's try and keep it to mainstream, popular applications in the sense of user Joe needing to do the typical things average users do.
> Also even the most ardent Windows user will acknowledge that package management is a great advantage for Linux so that's another given. There are several more like choice, configurability etc. So let's let those go to Linux.
>
> So I will start with iTunes.
>
> Personally I don't have a single iStore purchased tune.
> All external CD ripped, podcasts and so forth.
> I do prefer Media Monkey but I would say iTunes is much more popular.

MediaMonkey is by far the best media program that I have ever used. The
only thing I dislike about it is that ripping to the AAC codec requires
a separate purchase which seems kind of unfair for people who paid for
the license to use the full version of the program like I did. I get
secure ripping which is worth it and excellent tag editing, but can only
rip to MP3, OGG, FLAC, WAC and WMA. In that list, WMA Pro is clearly the
best lossy codec.

> So what is the Linux equivalent, and how is it superior to iTunes?

The best is Amarok but its interface is laughable at best. It does do a
good job or managing the library though. Every other program is not
worth mentioning.

< snip >

--
Slimer
OpenMedia, GreenPeace Supporter & SPCA Paw Partner
On 2015-04-07 12:53 AM, Donald Miller wrote:
> [...]
>
> So if someone said something like " I used GnuWeddings to plan my
> daughter's wedding and it was great" I would simply agree and add to
> the positive Linux press. The truth is, I never used most of those
> programs and even if I did I would deny or ignore the problems or low
> quality because it was Linux, it was free and I was a dyed in the wool
> Linux advocate.
>
> And it didn't matter what others who tried the program and realized it
> sucked said. After all they were just Wintrolls and would be labeled
> as such as they were discredited by people like me.
>
> The breaking point for me was when a program call Amarok destroyed the
> tagging in my massive mp3 collection. I never told it to change tags
> but it did and created havoc. Fortunately I had the drive backed up
> and it was trivial to restore the files but that was it for me.

It did the exact same thing for me. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one
who had to suffer through such a disaster.

< snip >

--
Slimer
OpenMedia, GreenPeace Supporter & SPCA Paw Partner
Encrypt.
0
Slimer
4/7/2015 3:50:43 PM
On 2015-04-07, Tomas <tgif9fri@numo.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 08:06:16 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> On 2015-04-07, Donald Miller <donaldmiller955@mail.com> wrote:

>> [deletia]

>>     ANYTHING that isn't trying to be everything and the kitchen sink
>> is going to be better than iTunes. That means that ALL apps that are
>> specifically meant to present music to the user for playback are going
>> to be equal or better to iTunes, regardless of platform.
>>
>>    Again, you are doing nothing but spouting brand fixated nonsense.
>>
>>    There's nothing particularly special about iTunes. Never was.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>>> Don't even bother because you are wasting your time. As a former Linux
>>> zealot I see myself in the behavior of most of the so called Linux
>>
>>    Again, try to get past the brand fixated nonsense and actually talk
>> about some useful tools and stop the mindless poser name dropping.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>>    Do you do anything with your PC besides troll Usenet. It certainly
>> doesn't seem that way.
>
> So you can't offer an alternative.
> Got it.

   I can. I just know that you will dismiss anything I bring up out of hand.

   Been doing this dance a long time. It never changes.

--
	Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good.      |||
                                                                     / | \
JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2015-04-07, Tomas <tgif9fri@numo.net> wrote:

>>> [deletia]

>>>     ANYTHING that isn't trying to be everything and the kitchen sink
>>> is going to be better than iTunes. That means that ALL apps that are
>>> specifically meant to present music to the user for playback are going
>>> to be equal or better to iTunes, regardless of platform.
>>>
>>>    Again, you are doing nothing but spouting brand fixated nonsense.
>>>
>>>    There's nothing particularly special about iTunes. Never was.
>>>
>>> [deletia]

>>>    Again, try to get past the brand fixated nonsense and actually talk
>>> about some useful tools and stop the mindless poser name dropping.
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>>
>>>    Do you do anything with your PC besides troll Usenet. It certainly
>>> doesn't seem that way.
>>
>> So you can't offer an alternative.
>> Got it.
>
>    I can. I just know that you will dismiss anything I bring up out of
>    hand.
>
>    Been doing this dance a long time. It never changes.

If so, why are you even bothering then?

0
GreyCloud
4/10/2015 2:12:38 AM
GreyCloud wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

> >> So you can't offer an alternative.
> >> Got it.
> >
> >    I can. I just know that you will dismiss anything I bring up out of
> >    hand.
> >
> >    Been doing this dance a long time. It never changes.
>
> If so, why are you even bothering then?

Because denial.

-hh
0
hh
4/10/2015 10:51:55 AM
On 2015-04-10, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> GreyCloud wrote:
>> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>> >    I can. I just know that you will dismiss anything I bring up out of
>> >    hand.
>> >
>> >    Been doing this dance a long time. It never changes.
>>
>> If so, why are you even bothering then?
>
> Because denial.

   Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.

   I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.

   I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
environment and was not impressed.

   It's time for you to flog some other application you've probably never
actually used.

--

   Windows is a petri dish.
   Linux, MacOS, and likewise are beakers of alchohol.              / | \

0
JEDIDIAH
4/13/2015 2:16:59 PM
JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2015-04-10, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>> GreyCloud wrote:

>>> If so, why are you even bothering then?
>>
>> Because denial.
>
>    Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>
>    I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
> Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
> test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.
>
>    I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
> environment and was not impressed.
>
>    It's time for you to flog some other application you've probably never
> actually used.

Actually, I also have still Snow Leopard around, but don't use it any
longer. I am now on Mavericks, but rest assured, the applications like
iTunes are still shitty beyond belief. And Yosemite, the current OS-version,
is so shitty that a lot of people refrain from "upgrading" to that shite

And, naturally, it (again) breaks existing applications, like nearly all OS-
upgrades from apple did

0
Peter
4/13/2015 4:20:12 PM
On 4/13/15, 9:20 AM, in article mggqa3$b4o$1@dont-email.me, "Peter K�hlmann"
<peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Because denial.
>>
>>    Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>>
>>    I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
>> Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
>> test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.
>>
>>    I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
>> environment and was not impressed.
>>
>>    It's time for you to flog some other application you've probably never
>> actually used.
>
> Actually, I also have still Snow Leopard around, but don't use it any
> longer. I am now on Mavericks, but rest assured, the applications like
> iTunes are still shitty beyond belief. And Yosemite, the current OS-version,
> is so shitty that a lot of people refrain from "upgrading" to that shite
>
> And, naturally, it (again) breaks existing applications, like nearly all OS-
> upgrades from apple did

What are your issues with Yosemite? And what programs broke for you under
it?

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:     <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?     <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>

0
Snit
4/13/2015 4:37:14 PM
On 2015-04-13 10:16 AM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2015-04-10, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>> GreyCloud wrote:

>>> If so, why are you even bothering then?
>>
>> Because denial.
>
>     Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>
>     I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
> Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
> test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.
>
>     I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
> environment and was not impressed.

You can hate iTunes all you want and I'm not a big fan of it either
because of how heavy the application is, but anyone who wants to have
access to the best media store on the market and who insists on encoding
his music in the best codec will have it installed. iTunes' version of
AAC is the best and let's face it, nothing competes with the iTunes
Music Store.

< snip >

--
Slimer
Encrypt.
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 8:30:16 AM UTC-6, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2015-04-10, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> > GreyCloud wrote:

> >> If so, why are you even bothering then?
> >
> > Because denial.
>
>    Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>
>    I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
> Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
> test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.
>
>    I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
> environment and was not impressed.

I doubt there's a Mac user alive who hasn't once thought: What the hell is Apple doing bloating it like this (and *still* calling it "iTunes"!) ?

That said, the latest version is actually fairly snappy, at least on my machine. I still think it has a serious identity issue, though.

I don't much use iPhoto, never really have to any extent. I did just get the new Photo app with the latest update to OS X but I haven't configured it yet.
0
Steve
4/13/2015 4:46:29 PM
On 2015-04-13 12:20 PM, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Because denial.
>>
>>     Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>>
>>     I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here because I used to have
>> Macs lying around here. Actually having them and being able to rigorously
>> test drive them did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.
>>
>>     I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their native
>> environment and was not impressed.
>>
>>     It's time for you to flog some other application you've probably never
>> actually used.
>
> Actually, I also have still Snow Leopard around, but don't use it any
> longer. I am now on Mavericks, but rest assured, the applications like
> iTunes are still shitty beyond belief. And Yosemite, the current OS-version,
> is so shitty that a lot of people refrain from "upgrading" to that shite
>
> And, naturally, it (again) breaks existing applications, like nearly all OS-
> upgrades from apple did

I can't believe I'm doing this but +1.

--
Slimer
Encrypt.
JEDIDIAH wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > GreyCloud wrote:

Noted:  JED's failure to actually name names of any equivalents.

> >> If so, why are you even bothering then?
> >
> > Because denial.
>
>    Yes... denying the bullshit of trolls.
>
>    I have a copy of Snow Leopard lying around here
> because I used to have Macs lying around here. Actually
> having them and being able to rigorously test drive them
> did NOTHING to dissuade me from using Linux or Linux apps.

Oh right:  that would be that base 2009 Mac mini you bought,
which you then proceeded to break within six months, including
a botched 'putty knife' routine where you launched its one
wireless card (RTFM failure)...and blamed everyone but yourself.

> I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in their
> native environment and was not impressed.

Which was a short snapshot from a half decade ago, with a
Core 2 Duo CPU running on a 5400rpm drive.  Suggestions to
improve its performance were rejected because you weren't
inclined to risk yourself re-break your machine a third time.

> It's time for you to flog some other application you've
> probably never actually used.

A quite easy claim to make when you repeatedly deny the
opportunity to facilitate an independent assessment by your
choice to not name any possibly viable Linux alternatives.

-hh

0
hh
4/13/2015 5:44:17 PM
Steve Carroll wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
> >
> >    I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in
> > their native environment and was not impressed.
>
> I doubt there's a Mac user alive who hasn't once thought:
> What the hell is Apple doing bloating it like this (and
> *still* calling it "iTunes"!) ?

Indeed.  The duplicity in the above from JED is the baseless
"beloved" claim, which becomes obvious when there's been
repeated requests to suggest ANY viable Linux alternative product.

> That said, the latest version is actually fairly snappy,
> at least on my machine. I still think it has a serious
> identity issue, though.

There's been several "improvements" which I utterly hate.
One example being how much worse it has become for synching
iOS devices via hardwire USB connection:  Apple really is
trying to drive to the Cloud, even when it doesn't make sense.

> I don't much use iPhoto, never really have to any extent.
> I did just get the new Photo app with the latest update to
> OS X but I haven't configured it yet.

This is where I have a quite large investment and I'm very
reluctant to believe that "Photos" will be 'good for me' and
am seriously contemplate change as a risk mitigator.   At
the very least, I'm going to use the one laptop to run as a
test case before letting it touch the main library.

-hh
0
hh
4/13/2015 5:49:41 PM
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-6, -hh wrote:
> Steve Carroll wrote:
> > JEDIDIAH wrote:
> > >
> > >    I was able to use your beloved iTunes and iPhoto in
> > > their native environment and was not impressed.
> >
> > I doubt there's a Mac user alive who hasn't once thought:
> > What the hell is Apple doing bloating it like this (and
> > *still* calling it "iTunes"!) ?
>
> Indeed.  The duplicity in the above from JED is the baseless
> "beloved" claim, which becomes obvious when there's been
> repeated requests to suggest ANY viable Linux alternative product.
>
> > That said, the latest version is actually fairly snappy,
> > at least on my machine. I still think it has a serious
> > identity issue, though.
>
> There's been several "improvements" which I utterly hate.
> One example being how much worse it has become for synching
> iOS devices via hardwire USB connection:  Apple really is
> trying to drive to the Cloud, even when it doesn't make sense.
>

> > I don't much use iPhoto, never really have to any extent.
> > I did just get the new Photo app with the latest update to
> > OS X but I haven't configured it yet.
>
> This is where I have a quite large investment and I'm very
> reluctant to believe that "Photos" will be 'good for me' and
> am seriously contemplate change as a risk mitigator.   At
> the very least, I'm going to use the one laptop to run as a
> test case before letting it touch the main library.

I don't blame you. I'm not as into it myself so even Aperture works fine for me... but I'm not ready to make the leap even from it.
0
Steve

[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

Windows / OSX Advocacy vs Linux Advocacy
Windows or OSX advocate: I did some testing and comparison between Windows and Linux and Linux just does not seem to be performing up to the same level as Windows or OSX. Here are my benchmarks. Here are some videos showing the differences. Here are some screen shots showing inconsistencies with Linux compared to Windows or OSX. Can someone show me Linux software that can perform xyorz as well as the Windows or OSX software can? Linux advocate: Your benchmarks are faked. Your screenshots are photo-shopped. Why would anyone need to perform xyorz? I can do all of that as well w...

Mac OS vs. Windows vs. Linux
I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en by In article <74603a0c-5c6b-41df-9feb-e95bb5ae8244@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, yuzgen <yuzgen@gmail.com> wrote: > I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer > users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: > http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en From that article: Mac OS for girls: Please don’t get me wrong. This was the best single word to define naive...

Rex, let's get the "Linux vs Windows Challenge" started!
You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. How do you propose to prove it? On 2010-09-15, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. > > How do you propose to prove it? > > > 1 Linux system (akamai dns) does the work for: www.msn.com www.microsoft.com msdn.microsoft.com downloads.microsoft.com support.microsoft.com www.hotmail.com I believe all of those run Windows server. "Phys Ed" <physed@invalid.here> wrote in message news:i6pk9p$6il$1@news.etern...

Rex, let's get the "Linux vs Windows Challenge" started! (3rd request)
You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. How do you propose to prove it? On Sep 21, 1:28=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. > How do you propose to prove it? Asked and answered. But you'll ask again. Are you claiming that 1 Windows NT 4.0 system can do the same work that 1 Linux system can do? On my Linux laptop, I have: [root@RexLT1_L3W6740 ~]# ps gax | wc 244 1619 21405 Including LDAP DNS SAMBA Web Server Print Server [root@RexLT1_L3W674...

Rex, let's get the "Linux vs Windows Challenge" started! (2nd request)
You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. How do you propose to prove it? On 2010-09-16, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. > > How do you propose to prove it? I think he said that it only takes one person to lift a Linux system and 6 people to lift a Windows system. It's because Windows is fat and bloated. Get some exersize, Gates fanboy. I WILL motivate you. On 2010-09-16, the following emerged from the brain of DFS: > You recently claimed 1 Linux syst...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs OS X vs Vista vs XP
Mount your soapboxes fanboys of all denominations - It's playtime... OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista vs. Windows XP Since the dawn of time - or, at least, the dawn of personal computers - the holy wars over desktop operating systems have raged, with each faction proclaiming the unrivaled superiority of its chosen OS and the vile loathsomeness of all others. No matter how fierce the language or convincing the arguments, however, these battles began to seem somewhat irrelevant to regular working stiffs. While Mac OS, OS/2, Linux and many other desktop operating systems...

Rex, let's get the "Linux vs Windows Challenge" started! (5th DFS request, 4th Rex evasion)
You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. How do you propose to prove it? "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in message news:i7iame$ivf$3@news.eternal-september.org... > You recently claimed 1 Linux system does the work of 6 Windows systems. > > How do you propose to prove it? He sure as hell didn't prove anything by posting some mubo-jumbo nonsense from the mid-1990's about NT 4.0 and how it does memory management. Only in the mind of the severly delusional is that 'backing up' his bullshit claim. ...

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X from CIO
An article about John Halamka, the CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. http://www.cio.com/article/print/41140 "John Halamka has a penchant for experiments with new technologies. In 2004, the now 44-year-old CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup, which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, who is also a practicing emergency room physician, was one of the first people to have an RFID chip containing a link to his medical records implanted in his body (it's near his right triceps.) Next April, he...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

BBC: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista ..
"As part of our launch coverage we are looking for a committed Vista user - you are probably someone who has been trialling Vista in beta or using it for your business - as well as a passionate Mac OS X user and a devotee of Linux," http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/12439/ Doug Mentohl wrote: > "As part of our launch coverage we are looking for a committed Vista > user - you are probably someone who has been trialling Vista in beta or > using it for your business - as well as a passionate Mac OS X user and > a devotee of Linux," > > htt...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a fa...

Let's have a Win vs Linux Thread!
I recently had an interesting conversation with a fellow who knows a lot more about Windows administration than I do. Our conversation became a comparison between Windows and Linux. He was saying, among other things, that Windows is _potentially_ more secure than Linux. I.E.. you can lock down a Windows system from hackers better than you can a Linux system. Now, he said that there were many reasons for this, but the only one he mentioned was that it was possible to delete the Administrator account on a Windows machine, and thus denying anyone from making any real changes...

Web resources about - So Let's Go App For App.. Linux vs Windows vs OSX. - comp.os.linux.advocacy