So why not Linux at IBM?

So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
for their employee desktops and laptops.

<quote>
For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one of
the biggest Apple shops
May 28, 2015

IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.

IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year, according
to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
</quote>

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html

--
"My wife and daughter both have me burn their audio CDs because when they
try to burn them on their Windows' computers they never work in their cars."

RonB - It's Windows fault that his wife and daughter are too stupid to make
an audio CD.
Apr 7, 2015
<mfvfsn$tou$8@dont-email.me>

0
Ezekiel

On 02/06/2015 16:13, Ezekiel wrote:
> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>
> <quote>
> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one of
> the biggest Apple shops
> May 28, 2015
>
> IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
> never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
> employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.
>
> IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year, according
> to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
> </quote>
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html

Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose
a premium OS?

Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other
incentives because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share!
ROFL!

0
Desk
6/2/2015 3:38:45 PM
On 2015-06-02 11:13 AM, Ezekiel wrote:
> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>
> <quote>
> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one of
> the biggest Apple shops
> May 28, 2015
>
> IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
> never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
> employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.
>
> IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year, according
> to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
> </quote>
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html

Linux company IBM is selling Macs. Nice.

--
Slimer
Encrypt.

- "NTFS is just slightly faster than apples HFS. And that is the slowest
FS of all. EXT 4 is several times faster than NTFS, and *that* is the
reason you dimbulbs now troll against EXT4."
- "Like NTFS, which is at best at beta stage right now?"

(Peter "the Kl�wn" K�hlmann lying shamelessly about NTFS to desperately
defend the fact that ext4 has been shown to corrupt data in Linux kernel
4.0.x)
0
Slimer
6/2/2015 4:41:00 PM
"Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message
> On 02/06/2015 16:13, Ezekiel wrote:
>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage
>> Linux
>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>>
>> <quote>
>> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one
>> of
>> the biggest Apple shops
>> May 28, 2015
>>
>> IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
>> never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
>> employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.
>>
>> IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year,
>> according
>> to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
>> </quote>
>>
>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html
>>

> Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose a
> premium OS?
>
> Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other incentives
> because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share! ROFL!

It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM announced
that they were going to transition their workforce to using Linux on the
desktop.

That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than Windows.

--
"HTML5 really doesn't standardize anything."

JED - Where standards don't standardize anything.
<slrnm95t9v.q35.jedi@nomad.mishnet>
Dec 18, 2014

0
Ezekiel
6/3/2015 3:49:08 PM
On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:49:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message
>> On 02/06/2015 16:13, Ezekiel wrote:
>>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage
>>> Linux
>>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one
>>> of
>>> the biggest Apple shops
>>> May 28, 2015
>>>
>>> IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
>>> never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
>>> employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.
>>>
>>> IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year,
>>> according
>>> to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html
>>>

>> Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose a
>> premium OS?
>>
>> Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other incentives
>> because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share! ROFL!
>>

> It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM announced
> that they were going to transition their workforce to using Linux on the
> desktop.
>
> That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
> going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than Windows.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop
0
Tomas
6/3/2015 3:52:44 PM
"Tomas" <tgif9fri@numo.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:49:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message

>>> Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose
>>> premium OS?
>>>
>>> Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other
>>> incentives
>>> because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share! ROFL!
>>>

>> It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM announced
>> that they were going to transition their workforce to using Linux on the
>> desktop.
>>
>> That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
>> going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than Windows.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop

2004 - That sounds about right. IBM has had over 10 years to move their
desktops to Linux. It appears this fizzled out so now they're going with
Macs.

To me this shows that it's a non-trivial task even for a company with huge
resources available to them.

<quote>
We reported last year that Big Blue was firmly committed to moving to a
Linux desktop environment, and we now have confirmation in the form of an
IBM memo that this is going to happen.

The memo, titled On Demand Initiatives, from IBM CIO Bob Greenberg, and
forwarded to us by an insider at IBM on the West Coast, is encouraging
senior execs at Big Blue to switch to a Linux desktop by the end of 2005.

That, says Greenberg, is a challenge that IBM's chairman himself put to Big
Blue's IT organisation.
</quote>

--
"You REALLY are grasping at non-existent straws aren't you, in your sheer
desperation.

A Chromebook, like a MAC, IS NOT A PC. Failed AGAIN."

Gortard. Defines a PC to be a computer with Windows then complains only PCs
with Windows are sold.
<9rpmtkFel2U2@mid.individual.net>

0
Ezekiel
6/3/2015 3:57:57 PM
On 2015-06-03 11:49 AM, Ezekiel wrote:
> "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message
>> On 02/06/2015 16:13, Ezekiel wrote:
>>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage
>>> Linux
>>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one
>>> of
>>> the biggest Apple shops
>>> May 28, 2015
>>>
>>> IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a
>>> never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy
>>> employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac.
>>>
>>> IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year,
>>> according
>>> to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac shops.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-time-ibm-offers-buy-173903608.html
>>>

>> Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose a
>> premium OS?
>>
>> Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other incentives
>> because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share! ROFL!
>>

> It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM announced
> that they were going to transition their workforce to using Linux on the
> desktop.
>
> That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
> going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than Windows.

See, the problem with IBM moving to Linux is that it essentially takes
the power away from IBM in the first place. They HAD their own solution
to Windows in the form of OS/2. Anyone who remembers the operating
system will tell you that it was a robust, stable and fairly speedy
solution. It lacked in software, but it was ahead of its time in every
other area. Instead of continuing to support it in the enterprise, Linux
decided to abandon it entirely in favour of Linux, destroying what was
left of its influence on the modern desktop.

Even if they HAD migrated to Linux, it would have been important for
them not to use the operating system as is but to develop their own
version of the software and configure it in such a way that it would
actually meet the requirements of its employees. An IBM Linux, a mixture
of in-house proprietary solutions with open-source ones would have been
interesting, especially if code from the now-abandoned OS/2 project had
been integrated to create a sort of hybrid operating system. In its
place, IBM decided to simply rely on what a few pre-teens developed and
convinced themselves as well as their clients that it was "good enough."

Is it a shocker to anyone that they are failing miserably and on their
way to bankruptcy? At no other time in history has a company disposed of
such a high percentage of its employees without eventually going
bankrupt. The company whose influence in the technological world was so
enormous that it helped to create a standard in the PC world has been
reduced to becoming less significant than the company it once mocked in
Apple. Some might say that it is entirely insignificant.

THAT, my friends, is what Linux does.

--
Slimer
Encrypt.

- "NTFS is just slightly faster than apples HFS. And that is the slowest
FS of all. EXT 4 is several times faster than NTFS, and *that* is the
reason you dimbulbs now troll against EXT4."
- "Like NTFS, which is at best at beta stage right now?"

(Peter "the Kl�wn" K�hlmann lying shamelessly about NTFS to desperately
defend the fact that ext4 has been shown to corrupt data in Linux kernel
4.0.x)
0
Slimer
6/3/2015 5:02:26 PM
On 2015-06-03 11:52 AM, Tomas wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:49:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message

>>> Wow, you mean given the choice of using a completely free OS they chose a
>>> premium OS?
>>>
>>> Cue the Linux Fucktards to claim Apple gave them money or other incentives
>>> because they are desperate to beat Linux's <2% market share! ROFL!
>>>

>> It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM announced
>> that they were going to transition their workforce to using Linux on the
>> desktop.
>>
>> That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
>> going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than Windows.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop

That is like a memo indicating that the Soviet Union has just launched a
nuclear attack on the United States. No one comes out a winner in that one.

It's the kiss of death.

--
Slimer
Encrypt.

- "NTFS is just slightly faster than apples HFS. And that is the slowest
FS of all. EXT 4 is several times faster than NTFS, and *that* is the
reason you dimbulbs now troll against EXT4."
- "Like NTFS, which is at best at beta stage right now?"

(Peter "the Kl�wn" K�hlmann lying shamelessly about NTFS to desperately
defend the fact that ext4 has been shown to corrupt data in Linux kernel
4.0.x)
0
Slimer
6/3/2015 5:03:17 PM
Ezekiel wrote:

> "Tomas" <tgif9fri@numo.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:49:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message

>>> It's a legit question because a few years back some exec at IBM
>>> announced that they were going to transition their workforce to using
>>> Linux on the desktop.
>>>
>>> That never happened in any significant way and it looks like now IBM is
>>> going with a Mac solution that's (initially) more expensive than
>>> Windows.
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-
ibm-linux-desktop

> 2004 - That sounds about right. IBM has had over 10 years to move their
> desktops to Linux. It appears this fizzled out so now they're going with
> Macs.
>
> To me this shows that it's a non-trivial task even for a company with huge
> resources available to them.
>
> <quote>
> We reported last year that Big Blue was firmly committed to moving to a
> Linux desktop environment, and we now have confirmation in the form of an
> IBM memo that this is going to happen.
>
> The memo, titled On Demand Initiatives, from IBM CIO Bob Greenberg, and
> forwarded to us by an insider at IBM on the West Coast, is encouraging
> senior execs at Big Blue to switch to a Linux desktop by the end of 2005.
>
> That, says Greenberg, is a challenge that IBM's chairman himself put to
> Big Blue's IT organisation.
> </quote>

Maybe some IBM folks inadvertently read some of "7"'s posts.
Now they've got egg all over their faces.

0
GreyCloud
6/3/2015 7:15:47 PM
On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:13:14 AM UTC-4, Ezekiel wrote:
> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
> for their employee desktops and laptops.

IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.  I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in KVM.

Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.

The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on Laptops and even Netbooks.

The Tablet market is more competitive with iPAD and Android both being very popular and both having *nix cores.

Mac is a really good way to get the benefits of Unix without having to try and figure out how to get x version of Linux running on a, b, c, and d, laptops, each with different hardware and software configurations.

With options like Docker, it's really easy to put Linux on ANY device and have it do what it needs to do without a lot of extra frills.

When Microsoft pushes out Windows 10, it's pretty predictable that they will try to kill Windows 7 by refusing to support it and moving Win7 support to the "B Team" (already is).

Windows 10 looks promising, but we've all been fooled by dazzling demos and marketing promises MANY times before (MS-DOS 2.0, 4.0, 5.0, Windows NT 3.x, NT4, ME, Vista, and Windows 8.0)

Microsoft does have some good releases as well (Win 98, WinXP, Win7) but it can take months or years to work out kinks and address "gotchas" that include some nasty security issues.

Apple has come out with many good versions of OS/X that have all been predictably good, reliable, and secure.

IBM and Apple have also been working together on iOS software for iPad and iPhone.

> --
> "My wife and daughter both have me burn their audio CDs because when they
> try to burn them on their Windows' computers they never work in their cars."
>
> RonB - It's Windows fault that his wife and daughter are too stupid to make
> an audio CD.
> Apr 7, 2015
> <mfvfsn$tou$8@dont-email.me>

0
Debbie
6/16/2015 7:01:18 PM
On 6/16/15, 12:01 PM, in article
ce52a469-d90e-4077-bdda-6efcb65d5f83@googlegroups.com, "Debbie Ballard"
<rex.ballard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:13:14 AM UTC-4, Ezekiel wrote:
>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>
> IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.
> I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who
> have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in
> KVM.
>
> Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no
> longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.
>
> The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on
> Laptops and even Netbooks.

How? A monopoly cannot stop a *free* product, assuming it is easy to get
(and Linux is, esp. for OEMs) and competes well (this is where desktop Linux
struggles).

> The Tablet market is more competitive with iPAD and Android both being very
> popular and both having *nix cores.
>
> Mac is a really good way to get the benefits of Unix without having to try and
> figure out how to get x version of Linux running on a, b, c, and d, laptops,
> each with different hardware and software configurations.

It also offers a lot of productivity, efficiency, and error-reduction
benefits... though it comes at a high cost.

> With options like Docker, it's really easy to put Linux on ANY device and have
> it do what it needs to do without a lot of extra frills.

I would love to have Linux handle my desktop needs better.

> When Microsoft pushes out Windows 10, it's pretty predictable that they will
> try to kill Windows 7 by refusing to support it and moving Win7 support to the
> "B Team" (already is).
>
> Windows 10 looks promising, but we've all been fooled by dazzling demos and
> marketing promises MANY times before (MS-DOS 2.0, 4.0, 5.0, Windows NT 3.x,
> NT4, ME, Vista, and Windows 8.0)
>
> Microsoft does have some good releases as well (Win 98, WinXP, Win7) but it
> can take months or years to work out kinks and address "gotchas" that include
> some nasty security issues.

Same with any OS, really.

> Apple has come out with many good versions of OS/X that have all been
> predictably good, reliable, and secure.

Agreed... though the complaints that it lacks "advanced" features also has
merit.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:     <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?     <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>

0
Snit
6/16/2015 7:08:21 PM
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 1:08:28 PM UTC-6, Snit wrote:
> On 6/16/15, 12:01 PM, in article
> ce52a469-d90e-4077-bdda-6efcb65d5f83@googlegroups.com, "Debbie Ballard"
> <rex.ballard@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:13:14 AM UTC-4, Ezekiel wrote:
> >> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage=
 Linux
> >> for their employee desktops and laptops.
> >=20
> > IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their emplo=
yees.
> > I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us=
 who
> > have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows i=
mage in
> > KVM.
> >=20
> > Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was=
 no
> > longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.
> >=20
> > The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Lin=
ux on
> > Laptops and even Netbooks.
>=20
> How? A monopoly cannot stop a *free* product

They put pressure on the OEMs:

"The Findings of Fact in the United States Microsoft antitrust case of 1998=
 established that "One of the ways Microsoft combats piracy is by advising =
OEMs that they will be charged a higher price for Windows unless they drast=
ically limit the number of PCs that they sell without an operating system p=
re-installed. In 1998, all major OEMs agreed to this restriction."[33] Micr=
osoft also once assessed license fees based on the number of computers an O=
EM sold, regardless of whether a Windows license was included..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

See if you can figure out the implications for not paying the "Microsoft ta=
x".

Now put your crack pipe down for a bit, OK? ;)

(snip other BS)
0
Steve
6/16/2015 7:36:52 PM
On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
Debbie Ballard <rex.ballard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mac is a really good way to get the benefits of Unix without having
> to try and figure out how to get x version of Linux running on a, b,
> c, and d, laptops, each with different hardware and software
> configurations.

Bullshit. Buy Linux compatible laptop and you get same benefit as Mac.
Albeit OS X runs only on Apple hardware...

0
Melzzzzz
6/16/2015 8:10:23 PM
On 2015-06-16 3:01 PM, Debbie Ballard wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:13:14 AM UTC-4, Ezekiel wrote:
>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>
> IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.  I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in KVM.
>
> Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.

That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.

> The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on Laptops and even Netbooks.

More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.

> The Tablet market is more competitive with iPAD and Android both being very popular and both having *nix cores.

Yes, I'm sure the people using those tablets _demanded_ "that *nix
tablet." Few Android or iPad users have any idea what is at the core of
either system and frankly don't care.

> Mac is a really good way to get the benefits of Unix without having to try and figure out how to get x version of Linux running on a, b, c, and d, laptops, each with different hardware and software configurations.
>
> With options like Docker, it's really easy to put Linux on ANY device and have it do what it needs to do without a lot of extra frills.
>
> When Microsoft pushes out Windows 10, it's pretty predictable that they will try to kill Windows 7 by refusing to support it and moving Win7 support to the "B Team" (already is).
>
> Windows 10 looks promising, but we've all been fooled by dazzling demos and marketing promises MANY times before (MS-DOS 2.0, 4.0, 5.0, Windows NT 3.x, NT4, ME, Vista, and Windows 8.0)

Why would Microsoft _NOT_ push the product to the back? By the time
Windows 10 releases, it'll be 6 years old. Did ANY computer company
still support the 286 they sold in 1988 when 1994 came around?

> Microsoft does have some good releases as well (Win 98, WinXP, Win7) but it can take months or years to work out kinks and address "gotchas" that include some nasty security issues.

Windows 98 was an acceptable release. Saying it was good is stretching
it. I first got interested in substituting Windows for Linux _because_
of how bad the 9x line was.

> Apple has come out with many good versions of OS/X that have all been predictably good, reliable, and secure.

Define "good."

> IBM and Apple have also been working together on iOS software for iPad and iPhone.

IBM clinging to life.
--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
On 2015-06-16, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Debbie Ballard <rex.ballard@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Mac is a really good way to get the benefits of Unix without having
>> to try and figure out how to get x version of Linux running on a, b,
>> c, and d, laptops, each with different hardware and software
>> configurations.
>
> Bullshit. Buy Linux compatible laptop and you get same benefit as Mac.
> Albeit OS X runs only on Apple hardware...

   Yup. Buy a machine from Zareason or System76 if you don't want to have
to do any thinking. It's just as effective as getting your "Unix" machine
from Apple.

   Plus those vendors have much more interesting hardware options available.

   Apple doesn't even offer a 17" laptop anymore.

--
	vi isn't easy to use.				 |||
							/ | \
On 2015-06-16, Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
> On 2015-06-16 3:01 PM, Debbie Ballard wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:13:14 AM UTC-4, Ezekiel wrote:
>>> So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux
>>> for their employee desktops and laptops.
>>
>> IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.  I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in KVM.
>>
>> Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.
>
> That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
> controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
> of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
> black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
> profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
> the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.
>
>> The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on Laptops and even Netbooks.
>
> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
> because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
> president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
> customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
> different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
> were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
> were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.

The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly. It's like
a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.

And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.

Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type
I am speaking of.

Keep the geeks coding and inventing.
That's what they are good at.
0
Humberto
6/16/2015 10:35:24 PM
On 6/16/15, 3:35 PM, in article mlq8bc$idj$5@dont-email.me, "Humberto Lopez"
<hlopez88@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
>> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
>> because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
>> president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
>> customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
>> different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
>> were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
>> were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.
>
> The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly. It's like
> a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
> one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.

Dell, HP, Walmart and others have tried to market Linux on the desktop. It
simply has not done well.

Google is having better, if still limited, luck with ChromeOS. They are not
focusing on the traditional Linux desktop but instead worked to make their
own experience, largely based on their own services and web browser. There
are certainly challenges to this model, but it allows them to focus on
usability: things that will benefit users productivity, efficiency, and
error-reduction.

> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>
> Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type
> I am speaking of.
>
> Keep the geeks coding and inventing.
> That's what they are good at.

Good marketing would help but you also need a good product to market.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:     <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?     <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>
* Mint KDE working with folders:    <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0>
* Mint KDE creating files:          <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8>
* Mint KDE help:                    <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8>
* Mint KDE general navigation:      <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI>
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux:     <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk>
* OS / Word Processor Comparison:   <http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c>

0
Snit
6/16/2015 11:22:16 PM
On 06/16/2015 03:35 PM, Humberto Lopez wrote:
> On 2015-06-16, Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>>>
>>> IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.  I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in KVM.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.
>>
>> That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
>> controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
>> of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
>> black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
>> profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
>> the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.
>>
>>> The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on Laptops and even Netbooks.
>>
>> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
>> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
>> because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
>> president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
>> customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
>> different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
>> were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
>> were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.
>
> The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly.

Hi flattie.

 It's like
> a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
> one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.
>
> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>
> Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type
> I am speaking of.
>
> Keep the geeks coding and inventing.
> That's what they are good at.

"the" geeks, hmm?

Interesting.

--
 -v

You may be recognized soon.  Hide.

0
vallor
6/17/2015 12:53:37 AM
William Poaster wrote:

> [...]
>>> because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
>>> president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
>>> customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
>>> different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
>>> were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
>>> were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.
>
> Well folks, yet MORE bullshit from Slimeball. (what did you expect?)
> Slimeball should read "The Microsoft Case: Antitrust, High Technology, and
> Consumer Welfare."
>
> M$ tried to stop OEMs installing GNU/Linux on laptops & desktops.
> They threatend & cajoled companies.
> Even when one company, Compaq (who weren't even going to install anything
> but Windows), planned to delete M$ Networks & IE icons & install others
> (Navigator etc) M$ blocked it by threatening to terminate Compaq's
> Windows licence. Then, fearing Netscape would be actively promoted over
> IE, M$ prohibited OEMs from removing icons, folders & start menu entries.
> They also prohibited *any* display of non-M$ products.
>
> In March 2002, a memo was produced in a hearing from Joachim Kempin to
> Ballmer. In it Kempin raised the threat about Dell & other PC builders
> which promoted Linux.
> "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
> ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
> sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
> the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language.
> Other memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft partner
> was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux
> business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop
> PCs in the summer of 2001.
>
> "Microsoft is unlawfully taking advantage of its Windows monopoly to
> protect and extend that monopoly and to undermine consumer choice. The
> Department of Justice will not tolerate that kind of conduct."
> US Attorney-General Janet Reno - 1997.
>
> In 2004, in yet another attempt to stop OEMs selling PC without any
> OS, M$ withheld rewards to OEMs who shipped a PC without an operating
> system installed. Microsoft argued that "this is a necessary sanction to
> discourage piracy". But equally, it was a disincentive for corporate
> purchasers who wanted to ghost an image of Linux onto a pre-specced PC.
>
> So Slimeball's "customers weren't interested" in Linux is just pure
> BULLSHIT.
>
>> The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly. It's like
>> a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
>> one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.
>>
>> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
>> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>>
>> Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type

0
GreyCloud
6/17/2015 1:01:01 AM

--
openSUSE 13.2 64-bit
KDE 4.14.6

This message is virus free, as absolutely
NO Micro$oft products were used in its preparation.

0
William
6/17/2015 10:43:59 AM
William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> "Microsoft is unlawfully taking advantage of its Windows monopoly to
> protect and extend that monopoly and to undermine consumer choice. The
> Department of Justice will not tolerate that kind of conduct."
> US Attorney-General Janet Reno - 1997.

Yeah, but then business-friendly Bush came in and it was "hands off"
Microsoft.

--
You can get there from here, but why on earth would you want to?
0
On 2015-06-17, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> On 06/16/2015 03:35 PM, Humberto Lopez wrote:

>>> That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
>>> controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
>>> of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
>>> black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
>>> profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
>>> the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.

>>> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
>>> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
>>> because the sellers themselves didn't trust the company or its
>>> president, stores took Linux computers off of the shelves because
>>> customers were unimpressed. Since they operated in a completely
>>> different way from Windows yet sought to make people believe that they
>>> were still using Windows (see Lindows), people didn't realize what they
>>> were getting and asked for a refund when it didn't work as intended.
>>
>> The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly.
>
> Hi flattie.
>

>  It's like
>> a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
>> one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.
>>
>> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
>> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>>
>> Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type
>> I am speaking of.
>>
>> Keep the geeks coding and inventing.
>> That's what they are good at.
>>

> "the" geeks, hmm?
>
> Interesting.

Posting to USENET drunk is never a good idea.

0
Humberto
6/17/2015 12:21:31 PM
On 17 Jun 2015 11:43, William Poaster wrote:
> [...]
> was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux
> business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop
> PCs in the summer of 2001.
>
> "Microsoft is unlawfully taking advantage of its Windows monopoly to
> protect and extend that monopoly and to undermine consumer choice. The
> Department of Justice will not tolerate that kind of conduct."
> US Attorney-General Janet Reno - 1997.
>
> In 2004, in yet another attempt to stop OEMs selling PC without any
> OS, M$ withheld rewards to OEMs who shipped a PC without an operating
> system installed. Microsoft argued that "this is a necessary sanction to
> discourage piracy". But equally, it was a disincentive for corporate
> purchasers who wanted to ghost an image of Linux onto a pre-specced PC.
>
> So Slimeball's "customers weren't interested" in Linux is just pure

Nice walk through history. But let's talk a little more recently...

Netbooks hit the market with Linux on them and sold reasonably well
right up until the time Netbooks with Windows hit the shelves.  Then
the Linux netbooks disappeared.

Chromebooks hit the market and have managed to keep a small market
share even to this day.  They did it by hiding the Linux underneath
ChromeOS and just presenting a browser.

Android hit the market before that, and just like Chromebooks, hid
Linux underpinnings.

Some mfgs offered Linux preloaded on their machines, but they found out
what all of us here already knew.  The Linuxloons are cheap momzers
that wouldn't help make a Linux preloaded machine a success.

So in one big case, Linux on a small laptop was soundly rejected when a
better (or maybe even worse) version showed up.

In the other two, hiding Linux made the difference.

So the writing is on the wall.  Linux on the desktop is a dud that has
been soundly rejected by the market.  Hiding Linux seems to be the best
way to get it out there.

You idiots can shriek all you want about why Linux on the desktop
failed, but you don't have to look further than right here to see why.
And it has much less to do with how well or unfairly MS did things, and
more to do with your lack of supporting the OS you keep swearing is so
damned good.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
6/17/2015 12:29:05 PM
On 2015-06-16, Humberto Lopez <hlopez88@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> On 2015-06-16, Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>>>
>>> IBM HAS deployed and managed thousands of Linux Laptops for their employees.  I'm running on it now.  It's very popular in the labs.  For those of us who have to interact with clients, there is an ICON that starts a Windows image in KVM.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that IBM sold their PC and Laptop to Lenovo because it was no longer profitable.  Linux on servers has been VERY profitable for IBM.
>>
>> That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
>> controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
>> of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
>> black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
>> profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
>> the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.
>>
>>> The Microsoft Monopoly has successfully blocked all attempts to put Linux on Laptops and even Netbooks.
>>
>> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
>> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves

....or Apple.

The market didn't tolerate diversity at all. It's a little bit better
now with the web serving as a lingua franca for many diverse platforms.
Being part of the right "ecosystem" mattered much more then than it
does now.

It wasn't just "one vendor" that "couldn't get their act together" but
ALL of them.

Also, Microsoft did engage in illegal activities for which they got
smacked down by the US Justice Department. Even on the PC platform
itself they engaged in dirty tricks to gaurd their markeshare.

[deletia]

> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.

....like Apple, that perpetual also ran?

After a certain point, when a PC OS vendor finally decides to just plain
GIVE AWAY his proprietary OS you have to start to wonder about the state
and structure of the market itself.

--

   cat /dev/video0 > tivo-sucks.mpg &                                 |||
   mplayer tivo-sucks.mpg                                            / | \

0
JEDIDIAH
6/17/2015 12:30:34 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> "Microsoft is unlawfully taking advantage of its Windows monopoly to
>> protect and extend that monopoly and to undermine consumer choice. The
>> Department of Justice will not tolerate that kind of conduct."
>> US Attorney-General Janet Reno - 1997.
>
>Yeah, but then business-friendly Bush came in and it was "hands off"
>Microsoft.

Nah, the fact is that M$ hired a new team of lawyers, headed by "True
Linux Advocate" Hadron Quark and John "mono means one" Slade.

They rightly argued that as long as there is *any* alternative
product, a company cannot have sufficient power in the market to
unfairly restrict competition.

Anti-trust laws should only kick-in only if every *glimmer* of
alternative product is *dead*.  Should *any* alternative appear,
regulation should *immediately* cease, no matter how obscure or
expensive the alternative is.

*That* would ensure healthy competition and adequate consumer choice,
right?

--
"How can someone have a monopoly when there is a FREE competitor
freely downloadable and easier to install?"  -  "True Linux advocate"
On 17 Jun 2015 07:32, chrisv wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>>William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> "Microsoft is unlawfully taking advantage of its Windows monopoly to
>>> protect and extend that monopoly and to undermine consumer choice. The
>>> Department of Justice will not tolerate that kind of conduct."
>>> US Attorney-General Janet Reno - 1997.
>>
>>Yeah, but then business-friendly Bush came in and it was "hands off"
>>Microsoft.
>
> Nah, the fact is that M$ hired a new team of lawyers, headed by "True
> Linux Advocate" Hadron Quark and John "mono means one" Slade.
>
> They rightly argued that as long as there is *any* alternative
> product, a company cannot have sufficient power in the market to
> unfairly restrict competition.
>
> Anti-trust laws should only kick-in only if every *glimmer* of
> alternative product is *dead*.  Should *any* alternative appear,
> regulation should *immediately* cease, no matter how obscure or
> expensive the alternative is.
>
> *That* would ensure healthy competition and adequate consumer choice,
> right?

Crying that same old tune today is just a big circle jerk for you isn't
it?

Fact is MS doesn't have that clout today and yet Linux desktop
languishes as it always has and seemingly always will.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
6/17/2015 12:37:57 PM
On 17 Jun 2015 07:30, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2015-06-16, Humberto Lopez <hlopez88@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>>> That is complete bullshit. When IBM sold Lenovo, the reason it was
>>> controversial was because it was the cash cow of the company. It was one
>>> of the many things IBM did over the years to keep themselves in the
>>> black. Rather than improve their business in an attempt to make a
>>> profit, they prefer to sell divisions and fire employees. It's one of
>>> the many reasons IBM is so insignificant in the computer world nowadays.

>>> More bullshit. Linux _was_ available but the customers weren't
>>> interested. The same way that stores took Atari STs off of store shelves
>
> ...or Apple.
>
> The market didn't tolerate diversity at all. It's a little bit better
> now with the web serving as a lingua franca for many diverse platforms.
> Being part of the right "ecosystem" mattered much more then than it
> does now.

And since the web is such a big part, and interoperability is a big
thing these days, Linux desktop could be a bigger part of it.  But
historically and currently, it is just where it has always been.  No
sales, no marketshare, no profits.

> It wasn't just "one vendor" that "couldn't get their act together" but
> ALL of them.
>
> Also, Microsoft did engage in illegal activities for which they got
> smacked down by the US Justice Department. Even on the PC platform
> itself they engaged in dirty tricks to gaurd their markeshare.

Old news and really doesn't apply these days no matter how much you
wish it did.

> [deletia]
>
>> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
>> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>
> ...like Apple, that perpetual also ran?

Right, an 'also ran' that is making huge profits with increased sales
every year for quite some time now.  All the while, Linux desktop
remains the same.  No profits, no sales, no marketshare.

> After a certain point, when a PC OS vendor finally decides to just plain
> GIVE AWAY his proprietary OS you have to start to wonder about the state
> and structure of the market itself.

Different markets for different times.  MS is making strategic changes
to ensure future growth in sales and profits.  Smart move.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
6/17/2015 1:27:47 PM
On 2015-06-17, Lloyd Parsons <lloydp21@live.com> wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2015 07:32, chrisv wrote:
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>>>Yeah, but then business-friendly Bush came in and it was "hands off"
>>>Microsoft.
>>
>> Nah, the fact is that M$ hired a new team of lawyers, headed by "True
>> Linux Advocate" Hadron Quark and John "mono means one" Slade.
>>
>> They rightly argued that as long as there is *any* alternative
>> product, a company cannot have sufficient power in the market to
>> unfairly restrict competition.
>>
>> Anti-trust laws should only kick-in only if every *glimmer* of
>> alternative product is *dead*.  Should *any* alternative appear,
>> regulation should *immediately* cease, no matter how obscure or
>> expensive the alternative is.
>>
>> *That* would ensure healthy competition and adequate consumer choice,
>> right?
>>
> Crying that same old tune today is just a big circle jerk for you isn't
> it?
>
> Fact is MS doesn't have that clout today and yet Linux desktop
> languishes as it always has and seemingly always will.

Some of these people are truly pathetic. My mom gave me some sage advice
and that is to not blame others for your own failures.

Linux is free.
The lack of leadership, focus and vision is a prime reason why it
has failed to challenge Microsoft for the desktop.

0
Humberto
6/17/2015 3:00:53 PM
On 06/17/2015 05:21 AM, Humberto Lopez wrote:
> On 2015-06-17, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

>>> The problem is Linux has never been marketed properly.
>>
>> Hi flattie.
>>

>>  It's like
>>> a football team where every player thinks the next play is a different
>>> one so when the ball gets hiked they are all crashing into each other.
>>>
>>> And the lack of a leader with leadership skills, professionalism and
>>> the ability to evangelize it's going to remain that way.
>>>
>>> Someone like Shuttleworth or Branson (the airline guy) is the type
>>> I am speaking of.
>>>
>>> Keep the geeks coding and inventing.
>>> That's what they are good at.
>>>

>> "the" geeks, hmm?
>>
>> Interesting.
>
> Posting to USENET drunk is never a good idea.

Nice attempt at deflection, "Humberto".

You and I both know I don't drink -- but you apparently don't realize
just how transparent this old concern troll has become.

"Keep the geeks coding and inventing."  That is couched in terms of
someone on the outside looking in.

Just a little slip of the fingers, right flattie?  Heh.

--
 -v

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

0
vallor
6/17/2015 6:50:04 PM
On 2015-06-17, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> On 06/17/2015 05:21 AM, Humberto Lopez wrote:

>>> Hi flattie.
>>>

>>>  It's like

>>> "the" geeks, hmm?
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>
>> Posting to USENET drunk is never a good idea.
>>

> Nice attempt at deflection, "Humberto".

Deflection?
What deflection?
I've more or less responded to every single one of your posts.
Even the incoherent ones.

You were posting diatribes last night that made you appear as if
you were drinking, or high on something other than your compiler
and VI.

> You and I both know I don't drink -- but you apparently don't realize
> just how transparent this old concern troll has become.

I know no such thing.
I don't even know who you are.
Have we met?

> "Keep the geeks coding and inventing."  That is couched in terms of
> someone on the outside looking in.

It's a known fact in the corporate setting that techs and geeks lack
social skills and should be kept away from clients.
You know it and I know it.

> Just a little slip of the fingers, right flattie?  Heh.

I looked that one up?
flatfish+++ I presume?
A well known USENET troll who has been at the troll helm for probably
30 years or more.
Not me.
Not even close.
But that won't stop you from continuing to make baseless accusations.

0
Humberto
6/17/2015 9:16:11 PM
Humberto Lopez wrote:

> On 2015-06-17, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

>>> Posting to USENET drunk is never a good idea.
>>>

>> Nice attempt at deflection, "Humberto".
>
> Deflection?
> What deflection?
> I've more or less responded to every single one of your posts.
> Even the incoherent ones.
>
> You were posting diatribes last night that made you appear as if
> you were drinking, or high on something other than your compiler
> and VI.
>

>> You and I both know I don't drink -- but you apparently don't realize
>> just how transparent this old concern troll has become.
>
> I know no such thing.
> I don't even know who you are.
> Have we met?
>

>> "Keep the geeks coding and inventing."  That is couched in terms of
>> someone on the outside looking in.
>
> It's a known fact in the corporate setting that techs and geeks lack
> social skills and should be kept away from clients.
> You know it and I know it.
>

>> Just a little slip of the fingers, right flattie?  Heh.
>
> I looked that one up?
> flatfish+++ I presume?
> A well known USENET troll who has been at the troll helm for probably
> 30 years or more.
> Not me.
> Not even close.
> But that won't stop you from continuing to make baseless accusations.

That what always happens to these guys like Vellour.
Their butt hurts so much they get very paranoid in here after a while.

0
GreyCloud

Linux, Linux, Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] IBM for Linux-on-Cell and Linux-on-Power
Reposted (different source with more details): IBM seeds new embedded Linux projects in Brazil ,----[ Quote ] | IBM will expand its Brazilian Linux Technology Center (LTC), in order | to advance several projects of interest to embedded Linux developers. | The $2.2M investment will further projects devoted to Linux-on-Cell | and Linux-on-Power, Linux ease-of-use, virtualization, and | government security certifications for Linux. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9856981505.html ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Mo...

IBM hates Linux (by Oracle)--further Linux fragmentation
Not good for the Linux franchise. RL This weekend's Herald Tribune- BOSTON (Reuters) - IBM (IBM.N: Quote, Profile , Research) is not ready to guarantee that its computer programs are compatible with Oracle Corp.'s (ORCL.O: Quote, Profile , Research) recently launched version of the Linux operating system, an IBM spokesman said on Friday. This means that if IBM software programs turn out to be incompatible with Oracle Enterprise Linux, then it will be up to Oracle -- and not IBM -- to resolve the issue, said IBM spokesman Matthew McMahon. Oracle, which started selling Linux in Octo...

[News] [Linux] IBM Reaches Further to Linux, Development
IBM looks to open up development ,----[ Quote ] | IBM is kicking off an experiment to open up its software development | process in a way that mirrors the creation of open source applications. `---- http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2190484/ibm-looks-open-development IBM pAVEs the way for x86 Linux apps ,----[ Quote ] | Developers could continue to write Linux apps on their x86 | workstations, and then take advantage of the scalability and | efficiencies inherent in the POWER architecture when it comes | time to deploy the app. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/ibm-p_ave/ ...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

Web resources about - So why not Linux at IBM? - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux bug renders vulnerable 66% of all Android devices
Researchers at Perception Point have identified a Linux bug that has existed, unnoticed, for the last four years. This bug can be maliciously ...

Linux bug imperils tens of millions of PCs, servers, and Android phones
(credit: amalthya ) For almost three years, millions of servers and smaller devices running Linux have been vulnerable to attacks that allow ...

Linux vulnerability puts millions of people at risk Android users should panic
There are so many reasons to use a Linux-based operating system. Most often, people tell me that they switched because of a dissatisfaction with ...

IDG Contributor Network: Digging into your Linux system's hardware
... It's an API that allows you to gather information about the your system's underlying hardware. The command is designed to work on any Linux ...

Linux zero-day affects most Androids, millions of Linux PCs
A new zero-day vulnerability has been discovered that allows Android or Linux applications to escalate privileges and gain root access, according ...

There’s never been a better time to learn Linux
As more people learn the importance of open software and operating systems, Linux is more relevant than ever. Learning Linux can seem imposing, ...