The anatomy of a fraud

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Consider the suit: SOFTWARE FREEDOM CONSERVANCY, INC.
and ERIK ANDERSEN v.BEST BUY CO., INC, et.al.

http://www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/copyright-trademark-patent/32809-copyright-lawsuit-16-companies-sued-software-freedom-
law-center.html

Here are relevant paragraphs from the SFLC-Andersen complaint:

20. Mr. Andersen is the author and developer of the BusyBox
computer program, and the owner of copyrights in that computer
program. BusyBox is a single computer program that comprises a
set of computing tools and optimizes them for computers with
limited resources, such as cell phones, PDAs, and other small,
specialized electronic devices. BusyBox is extremely
customizable, fast, and flexible, and, on information and belief,
is used in countless products sold by many manufacturers all over
the world.

31. Mr. Andersen is, and at all relevant times has been, a
copyright owner under United States copyright law in the FOSS
software program known as BusyBox. See, e.g., �BusyBox,
v.0.60.3.�, Copyright Reg. No. TX0006869051 (10/2/2008).
Plaintiff Software Freedom Conservancy is the corporate home for
the BusyBox project and the designated copyright enforcement
agent for Mr. Andersen with respect to BusyBox.

Here is a link to the source code for BusyBox v.0.60.3:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lennartb/busybox-0.60.3.tar.bz2

Here is the copyright registration filed by Andersen:

Type of Work: Computer File Registration Number / Date:
TX0006869051 / 2008-10-02 Application Title: BusyBox, v.0.60.3.
Title: BusyBox, v.0.60.3. Description: Print material. Copyright
Claimant: Erik  Andersen, 1971-  . Date of Creation: 2002 Date
of Publication: 2002-04-27 Authorship on Application: Erik
Andersen, 1971- ;  Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United
States. Authorship: New and revised computer source code by Erik
Andersen. Pre-existing Material: Previous version of the program
and computer program code from other sources. Basis of Claim: New
and revised computer source code by Erik Andersen. Copyright
Note: C.O. correspondence. Names: Andersen, Erik, 1971-

Inspection of the relevant facts of record listed above will reveal
that Erik Andersen and the SFLC are promoting a criminal fraudulent
copyright registration. See:

17 USC Sec. 506. Criminal offenses...
(e) False Representation. �
Any person who knowingly makes a false representation
of a material fact in the application for copyright
registration provided for by section 409, or in any
written statement filed in connection with the application,
shall be fined not more than $2,500.

1) The copyright registration clearly claims "BusyBox, v.0.60.3".

2) The Complaint para. 20 clearly states, "Mr. Andersen is the author
and developer of the BusyBox computer program, and the owner of
copyrights in that computer program. BusyBox is a single computer
program".

3) The Complaint para. 31 clearly states, "Mr. Andersen is, and
at all relevant times has been, a copyright owner under United States
copyright law in the FOSS software program known as BusyBox".

4) A cursory examination of the source code files in the tarball
busybox-0.60.3.tar.bz2 reveals multiple authors of the source code
modules.

5) The conclusion that the the copyright registration statement
by Erik Andersen:

"Mr. Andersen is the author and developer of the BusyBox
computer program, and the owner of copyrights in that computer
program."

comprises a knowingly false statement is inescapable.

Sincerely,
RJack

0
Reply RJack 12/18/2009 12:29:10 AM

See related articles to this posting

RJack wrote:

> 4) A cursory examination of the source code files in the tarball
> busybox-0.60.3.tar.bz2 reveals multiple authors of the source code
> modules.

The contents of the AUTHORS file in tarball busybox-0.60.3.tar.bz2:

List of the authors of code contained in BusyBox.

If you have code in BusyBox, you should be listed here.  If you should
be listed, or the description of what you have done needs more detail,
or is incorect, _please_ let me know.

  -Erik

-----------

Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org>, <andersee@debian.org>
     Tons of new stuff, major rewrite of most of the
     core apps, tons of new apps as noted in header files.

Edward Betts <edward@debian.org>
     expr, hostid, logname, tty, wc, whoami, yes

John Beppu <beppu@codepoet.org>
     du, head, nslookup, sort, tee, uniq

Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
     tiny-ls(ls)

Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>
     fbset, ping, hostname, and mkfifo

Dave Cinege <dcinege@psychosis.com>
     more(v2), makedevs, dutmp, modularization, auto links file,
     various fixes, Linux Router Project maintenance

Magnus Damm <damm@opensource.se>
     tftp client
     insmod powerpc support

Larry Doolittle <ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov>
     pristine source directory compilation, lots of patches and fixes.

Gennady Feldman <gfeldman@cachier.com>
     Sysklogd (single threaded syslogd, IPC Circular buffer support,
     logread), various fixes.

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@debian.org>
     cp_mv.c, the test suite, various fixes to utility.c, &c.

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
     mktemp.c

Matt Kraai <kraai@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu>
     documentation, bugfixes, test suite

John Lombardo <john@deltanet.com>
     dirname, tr

Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au>
     ar, dpkg, dpkg-deb

Vladimir Oleynik <dzo@simtreas.ru>
     cmdedit; ports: ash, stty, traceroute; locale, various fixes
     and irreconcilable critic of everything not perfect.

Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com>
     Original author of BusyBox. His code is still in many apps.

Tim Riker <Tim@Rikers.org>
     bug fixes, member of fan club

Kent Robotti <robotti@metconnect.com>
     reset, tons and tons of bug reports and patchs.

Chip Rosenthal <chip@unicom.com>, <crosenth@covad.com>
     wget - Contributed by permission of Covad Communications

Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>
     Lots of bugs fixes and patches.

Gyepi Sam <gyepi@praxis-sw.com>
     Remote logging feature for syslogd

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
     mkswap, fsck.minix, mkfs.minix

Mark Whitley <markw@codepoet.org>
     grep, sed, cut, xargs, style-guide, new-applet-HOWTO, bug fixes, etc.

Charles P. Wright <cpwright@villagenet.com>
     gzip, mini-netcat(nc)

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es>
     tarcat (since removed), loadkmap, various fixes, Debian maintenance

Emanuele Aina <emanuele.aina@tiscali.it>
	run-parts

Sincerely,
RJack

0
Reply RJack 12/18/2009 12:56:09 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 118873 articles. 13 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Fraud!
Shit. It looks as if someone has hacked my name and password. You'll see a post with some crap about New Zealand in it. Looks like that's my last post on this newsgroup (or anywhere). The net was fun while it lasted, but now it seems to have attracted every mental case on the planet. Sigh. Bill Bill Markwick , Posted to the comp.sys.hp48 group , the following : > Shit. It looks as if someone has hacked my name and password. > You'll see a post with some crap about New Zealand in it. > > Looks like that's my last post on this newsgroup (or anywhere). >...

Fraud Joe Michael, wanna be billionaire... scratch that, wannabe millionaire... scratch that, wants to stay out of jail for fraud
"a fundamentally new technology that is valued at several billion dollars" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t603064-re-my-new-computer-died.html "The domain developnanotechnology.com may be for sale. Click here for details." http://DevelopNanotechnology.com Nanotechnology Development Corp established 1998 870 Queenswood Montgomery, TX Phone: (936) 689-2244 CEO: Michael S Forbes http://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Montgomery/michael-s-forbes/35086511.aspx "The goal of NTDC is to develop a "Molecular Assembler"" http://www.thefreelibrary.com/N...

Oraknowledge is a fraud!
I purchased the Oracle 8i & 9i eboot camp from Oraknowledge last year with the guarantee that you could take the classes as many times as needed until you passed the all the tests. I was forced to suspend my training due to family matters. When I tried to contact Oraknowledge some months later neither my emails or phone calls were returned. I did have the President's personal email address, haskins@monmouth.com, so I gave him one last chance to make good on his word. He offered to send me a CD-ROM with all the classes I was taking recorded. He never did. I encourage anyone who has been...

Click Fraud
http://yahooanswers.blogspot.com/ ...

iChat Fraud
Well fraud is kinda overblown, but it's certainly false "advertising". For years I've been watching Jobs do the song and dance about the glory and splendor of iChat on the Mac. A lot of Windows people oo and ah about that part of the demo presentations. There's some great new features involved with my newest installation of Leopard. But it apparently *can't* work the way they've presented it. Where is all the endless echoing of audio coming through the speaker system? Sitting at my dsk I say "Hola, compadre" and a second later I hear it jangl...

iTunes fraud
If you have an iTunes account some chinese kid probably has your CC numbers. Good job Apple. Nice security you have there. LOL http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/09/itunes-fraud-takes-trip-to-travel-section/ "MuahMan" <muahman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4be8f12-ad3f-4277-ae99-8a7721be8137@d37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > If you have an iTunes account some chinese kid probably has your CC > numbers. Good job Apple. Nice security you have there. LOL > > http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/09/itunes-fraud-takes-trip-to-travel-section/ No! It can'...

Anatomy of Fork()
I wonder how fork is implemented. The guy who "taught" us UNIX descrbed fork() as returning twice, but now I know that's not possible. I know somewhere along the line, the newly created child process is entered in the process table and the address space of its parent duplicated, but its the mechanism by which fork() appears to return twice that I do not understand. Anyone care to give me any hints. I'm not trying to implement fork, I just want a step-by-step description of how it does what it does and how it returns in parent and child. Thanks, Olumide Olumide wrote: >...

Is Debian a fraud ?
Apparently during the install/upgrade process Debian wants to me to pay for an internet connection, which it will use to 'connect to it's site'. This is worse than Micro$loth! Although I've bought the 5 DVDs, it wants to take control of my computer and internet connection, right from the start. You heard about the ex-soviet software that dialed your modem to the soviet-union, and milked-off the soviet-side telco costs? ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.] On 2010-02-12, no.top.post@gmail.com <no.top.post@gmail.com> wrote: > Apparently durin...

Anatomy of a Thread
Is it just me or all all threads in this newsgroup degenerating to this. op snit edwin snit edwin snit edwin steve caroll snit edwin John Slade snit edwin snit edwin "John Slade" <hhitman86@pacbell.net> stated in post qug9k.13214$mh5.1383@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com on 6/27/08 6:29 PM: > Is it just me or all all threads in this newsgroup degenerating to > this. > > > op > snit > edwin > snit > edwin > snit > edwin > steve caroll > snit > edwin > John Slade > snit > edwin > snit > edwin > > > Oh no...

Fraud and spam
Is there somewhere to forward true fraud emails to? On Aug 22, 5:04=A0am, John Young <j...@scallawags.net> wrote: > Is there somewhere to forward true fraud emails to? your isp would be one choice their isp could be another ...

More Katrina Fraud
Feds Charge Atlanta Woman With Filing Two False Claims For FEMA Hurricane Victims Funds Contact: David E. Nahmias or F. Gentry Shelnutt through Patrick Crosby, Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Attorney's Office, 404-581-6016 WASHINGTON, Oct. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- David E. Nahmias, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia; Gregory Jones, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation; Martin Phanco, Inspector in Charge, United States Postal Inspection Service; and Richard L. Skinner, Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security, today announ...

Norvergence Fraud
I just met with a Norvergence rep and the deal they offered will save me money. I am totally ignorant of this technology. Are there other companies that offer this same kind of service? Is the MATRIX nothing more than a conversion box? Randy Larson ...

Andrey is a fraud
I've had good luck with Lithuanians, but from now on Ukrainians are not to be trusted. _______________________________________________________________________________ Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><> ...

Fraud Manager
Name of Position: Fraud Manager Report to: Director Position Status: Permanent Full-Time Salaried F-T - $50-60k + 10% bonus Location: n Toronto Region, Position Summary: The Fraud Manager will be responsible for the day to day management of the fraud department. The Fraud Manager will be alert to and react to fraud trends to allow the fraud department to be proactive in its work to minimize the impact of fraud. Responsibilities include management of work flow, staffing, scheduling and adherence to the service level agreements. The candidate is responsible for performance manageme...

Gold Fraud
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5553141.html Lawsuit alleges 'online currency' scam Published: January 27, 2005, 8:47 AM PST By Declan McCullagh A lawsuit claiming that a "gold backed" Internet currency scheme bilked investors out of more than $250 million can proceed against a bank implicated in it, a federal judge has ruled. At the height of its popularity, the OSGold currency boasted more than 60,000 accounts created by people drawn to promises of "high yield" investments that would provide guaranteed monthly returns of 30 percent to 45 per...

Click Fraud
http://yahooanswers.blogspot.com/ ...

Beware of fraud!
I don't know whether this is the appropriate newsgroup, but who cares, since it does relate to ARM! If, like me, you invested in Acorn shares to keep the firm going, you may still have residual shares in Pace and ARM. On Thurs. 25 July I had a fishy (phishy?) phone call from Eclipse Options Ltd offering me stock options in ARM, supposedly as a reward by ARM to their longstanding investors, with the names of Morgan Stanley etc. bandied about. The options have to be completed, of course, very quickly. Today I rang Equiniti (who pay out the ARM dividends) and they told me ther...

Human anatomy link
JUST remembered I bookmarked this link...hope it helps! http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=0 yes thanks but too mant accurate pics. i rather work on half the face and then mirror it and then add some differences between the two manually. takes much more time but its worth the hassle. thanks Cheers fx_05 "Gareee�" <gareeeNospam!@charter.net> wrote in message news:107vtf8nggs6had@corp.supernews.com... > JUST remembered I bookmarked this link...hope it helps! > > http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=0 > > ...

CMDR-KEY-FRAUD
For those that got screwed by CMDR-KEY I suggest you file a complaint as I did see blow where to send your letter and include the required info below that. ----------------------------------------------- Consumer Protection Division Office of the Attourney General P.O. Box 30213 Lansing, Mi 48909 internet/fax/or USPS below. Name of Company Click Here Software Co. 426 Sumpter St. P.O. Box 606 Charlotte, Mi 48813 Internet order line (866) CMDRKEY Other inquiries (517) 543-5202 Fax line (517) 543-5202 Proprietor Maurice Randall...

SID chip fraud(!)
A seller is selling a New Old Stock SID chips on eBay, or so he claims. Kevin Horton bought a few, and found that they were all bad. He noticed that there was something fishy about the chip packaging - it differed between the chips, even though they had identical date markings. After rubbing them with acetone, he discovered that they have been *repainted* to look as new: http://kevtris.org/Projects/sid/remarked_sids.html It seems likely that the seller has gotten hold of a large quantity of defective SID chips, and is trying to get some quick cash. I'm amazed that someone would go thro...

Share fraud at appil
Share fraud at appil -------------------- The huge trolls and media circus around appil loosing their entire design patent legal attack on samsung and then fake reporting and spinning that as some kind of win when only one photo application has been found to be anywhere near infringing which takes seconds to substitute is HUGE share fraud scheme operated by appil and its trollospehere operations. The investors are going to loose billions as a result of being misled. All the android companies shares are exploding because appil loosing its patent suit is a HUGE win for android. Now anyone ca...

Joseph Michael the Fraud
http://img20.imageshack.us/i/7tard.gif/ On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 03:35:23 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime wrote: > http://img20.imageshack.us/i/7tard.gif/ I this really him? Looks like he is suffering from mental retardation. Anne Onime wrote: > [snip offensive link] Rather sad that the Wintrolls are back to their ad hominem libel. Business as usual I am afraid, in support of the convicted monopoly maintainer. -- HPT On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:45:03 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote: > Anne Onime wrote: > >> [snip offensive link] > > Rather sad tha...

fraud seller alert
Just in case anyone had the slightest doubt :-), if you get an email ad from " Greetings from E X I M - DEALS COMPUTERS! Today we offer you a great sale of brand new computer systems, which just arrived in stocks! " Run away! see, for example, http://www3.macintouch.com/fraudreports8.html for a comment on this alleged seller. -- Carl Witthoft backwards: lrac"at"tfohttiw"dot"com http://www.witthoft.com Carl Witthoft quoting a scammer: > Today we offer you a great sale of brand new computer systems, which just > arrived in stocks! He will...

anatomy of a snit-zel
well, i've just spent a fascinating evening trying to follow some of the arguments between various members of this group. i always get a little offended when people start accusing each other of being mentally ill. as i'm bipolar. and i have been certifiably insane in my time. i know a lot about various mental illnesses, and i don't think our friend snit-zel is quite ready for the nut house, as some suggest. i only pop into csma every now and then, so it's hard to keep up with what's happening, particularly as some debates become not only internecine but also incred...