The kualitee of Linux: the Mint 14 "developers" still can't make 2 checkboxes work right

Mint 14 Cinnamon 32-bit (installed in VirtualBox)
Menu
Preferences
Cinnamon Settings
Hot Panel

* check the box to show the hot corner icon

* check the box to enable the hot corner - it gets enabled

* uncheck the box to disable the hot corner - it stays enabled

http://bayimg.com/LAjELAaeP

Was the "developer's" 12-year old sister sick the day she was supposed
to test the crapware?

MS is doomed
0
nospam2091 (10001)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:08:55 -0500, DFS wrote:

> Mint 14 Cinnamon 32-bit (installed in VirtualBox)
> Menu
> Preferences
> Cinnamon Settings
> Hot Panel
>

> * check the box to show the hot corner icon
>
> * check the box to enable the hot corner - it gets enabled
>
> * uncheck the box to disable the hot corner - it stays enabled
>

> http://bayimg.com/LAjELAaeP
>

> Was the "developer's" 12-year old sister sick the day she was supposed
> to test the crapware?

She probably had homework to do.

--
flatfish+++
PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:

Linux
http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2008/03/28/webcams-that-just-work-with-ubuntu/ <quote> As I've said before, I think the hardware lists on the Ubuntu wiki are mostly useless for real users because nobody is insisting that "just works" really means "just works", and nobody is flagging the ones that really do just work. </quote> And if you finally can get it to work with linux.... <quote> got a Pro 9000 around Christmas because I read that it "Just Works". It did not work in Ubuntu 7.04. I chased and chased and could not solve i...

O.T. What's the right forum to ask general purpose linux Q's ==> Like "How do I launch an internet browser from a linux box?"
I am just getting into linux. Sorry for the newbie Q's. But I really do need to stop running back 'n forth between linux & window$ box just to google for something when I need to. I'm ready to make the transition from windoze to linux and need to learn how to do the routine tasks I'm already familiar with in window$ platform. I've been told this is the group for security questions only. I understand that, and will make every effort to air my Q's in the appropriate groups. Thank-you. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:49:36 -0500, MLH wrote: > I am just getti...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. ...

Crapware victim: "Why can't Linux just work?"
"Why can't Linux just work? Everytime I've installed it for myself or others, there have been problems." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2069067 It can't "just work" because it's developed by incompetent part-time amateurs who don't care [enough] and don't answer to anyone. That's why it's called hobbyware. ...

Can't install OS 9.2.2 on G4 (""This software cannot run on this computer.")
My OS 9 installer refuses to run on my G4!� I have a 1.25 GHz G4 with 512MB RAM, running Panther, no OS 9 installed.� I decided that I would go ahead and install OS 9, as there is one legacy app I occasionally need.� I don't have the original OS 9 install disk that came with the computer, but I do have an OEM 9.2.2 disk I bought on Megamacs.com� I know the disk is OK, because I've tried it on a slightly older G4 and the installer runs.� But when I boot from the CD on my new G4, and try to run the installer, I get a message that says "This software cannot run on this comput...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

7: "Most people know of Linux".... (p)Rick: "the overwhelming number of people don't know Linux exists"
Get with the herd, bozos. On Jun 1, 2:08=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > Get with the herd, bozos. Groupthink, aka herd mentality, as heard in the street. These Linux clowns are like a herd of cats though, they're all over the map--explains the 1%. RL On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:13:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote: > On Jun 1, 2:08�am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: >> Get with the herd, bozos. > > Groupthink, aka herd mentality, as heard in the street. > > These Linux clowns are like a herd of cats though, they're all o...

Linux doesn't need to be rebooted..."frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04"
"I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04." #920 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 Try 'compatibility mode'. On 2010-08-27, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > "I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and > Ubuntu 10.04." > > #920 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 > > > > Try 'compatibility mode'. > Typical Win-droid mentality "if something doesn't work I should boot into...

Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work."
# 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Linux and then trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I have to spend hours trying to configure files that should work automatically. To be fair to Fedora however, it's the only distribution so far that has picked up my wireless adapter right away without any configuration. The other distro's would find it but it wouldn't work." http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453 DFS had de volgende lumineuze gedachte ...

"Linux is so complex that even a world class software engineer can't always get it to work."
"I think you'll agree that it's fair to call Jamie Zawinski a world class software engineer." .... "For years I've had it drummed into my head that you always have to keep your systems patched, if you aren't running the latest security fixes, the script kiddies will eat you alive, running a six month old OS is like leaving your front door wide open, blah blah blah. Well you know what? F**k that noise. I'm done upgrading anything ever. The next time I get this s**t into a state that seems even remotely stable, I'm never touching it again. If we get hacked,...

Documented
"All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After following some online advice with hardware drivers tried to update Nvidia, and I then lost the GUI. Can get back by editing out Nvidia for Vesa in xorg.conf, but have to each time I start, and graphics too low to run much. Was going to back a few things up and re-install Jaunty, and now find USB memory stick will not work. Tried downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver, but got lots of error messages regarding kernels and headers that I can't resolve. Now will not even shutdown properly." #...

FAQ 5.35 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #2
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.35: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings (&qu...

FAQ 5.36 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #2
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.36: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily ex...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #2 554081
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily e...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #2 332182
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape charact...

PreparedStatement can't handle "IN" in "WHERE" clause #2
I have a simple SQL statement: SELECT DISTINCT id FROM TheTable WHERE id in ('1', '2', '3', '4'); If I run this in my SQL query window it correctly returns the set [1, 2, 3, 4]. If I execute the SQL directly using Statement.executeQuery, I get the correct results. However, if I try and substitute the IN clause using a PreparedStatement: PreparedStatement statement = connection.prepareStatement("SELECT DISTINCT id from TheTable WHERE id IN (?)"); statement.setString(1, "'1', '2', '3', '4'"); The result set...

Why aren't you so-called "advocates" discussing Googles' cloud OS based on Linux?
That's coming out in a few months? Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by Roy S. You pathetic trolls call yourselves "advocates" of Linux? Where is your advocacy? You pathetic people are just hear to flame each other, let's face it. RL RayLopez99 wrote: > That's coming out in a few months? > > Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by > Roy S. > > You pathetic trolls call yourselves "advocates" of Linux? Where is > your advocacy? > > You pathetic people are just hear ...

Can't install OS 9.2.2 on G4 ("software cannot run on this computer")
My OS 9 installer refuses to run on my G4! I have a 1.25 GHz G4 with 512MB RAM, running Panther, no OS 9 installed. I decided that I would go ahead and install OS 9, as there is one legacy app I occasionally need. I don't have the original OS 9 install disk that came with the computer, but I do have an OEM 9.2.2 disk I bought on Megamacs.com I know the disk is OK, because I've tried it on a slightly older G4 and the installer runs. But when I boot from the CD on my new G4, and try to run the installer, I get a message that says "This software cannot run on this computer."...

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

Linux: "it just isn't working"
"I'm suffering similarly. I like Ubuntu. But if I come in every few hours and find my machine locked up it's not really very much good to me. Liking Linux, pretty screens, etc. don't really matter if the thing just doesn't work as a computer. This thread has gone for WEEKS and I've tried everything in it. I do have a Mac Pro laptop. It more or less just works. I've thought about getting one of their big machines. Their top of the line is about $14,000 now. I'd rather just use Ubuntu, but it just isn't working at this point." http://ubuntuforums...

But Doesn't Linux "Just Work?"
That's what the COLA Linux advocates have been claiming for years. http://worldofgnome.org/are-you-fedup-with-fedora-17-upgrade-to-18/ Fedora "In my opinion Fedora is a very promising distro, that will never fulfill the promises. It is extremely fast, extremely updated, has a nice GNOME desktop, but. I won�t discuss the issues of Fedora as they are well known through the centuries, but you might want to take a look at this thread started from Tomas Radeja (sorry to refer it again). Personally I don�t mind if Fedora freezes sometimes or if some packages getting brok...

[News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?
The "GNU/Linux" and "Linux" Controversy ,----[ Quote ] | (Column) - This famous controversy is there ever since I became aware of | operating systems known as GNU/Linux. The GNU General Public License (GPL), | which is used by Linux as well as most GNU software, armors both | characters. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Well, i think, Linus Torvalds did another troll statement. -----BEGIN...

Can't boot to "OS 9" after upgrading OS X partition to 10.2.x
System Hardware: Powermac 9600/300 running Sonnet Technologies G4/400MHz/1MB 448MB RAM, one 4GB drive and 13GB drive One partition was running OS X 10.1.5 Another parition running OS 9.1 I was able to boot into either partition effortlessly. However, in order to improve the performance of Virtual PC 6.1 running on OSX (which was intolerably slow on 10.1.x), I upgraded to OS X 10.2 and applied the combo bundle to update OS to 10.2.8. This has made all the difference in my Virtual PC 6.1 which now runs with excellent performance for Win98, NT, and W2K. Now, for my problem. I boot to OS9 for on...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

Web resources about - The kualitee of Linux: the Mint 14 "developers" still can't make 2 checkboxes work right - comp.os.linux.advocacy