The non-Linux Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

http://www.archhurd.org/

The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.

Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?
0
taka0038

taka0038@gmail.com wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

Yes. In another 20 years it will be better. Alas, just better than the
current linux kernel
0
Peter
2/23/2015 12:17:03 PM
Peter Köhlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>>
>> http://www.archhurd.org/
>>
>> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
>> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>>
>> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

The Linux kernel has a lot more than just Google backing it.

> Yes. In another 20 years it will be better. Alas, just better than the
> current linux kernel

If you want to play with the Hurd (and the key word is play, at this point):

   http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html

   There is a QEMU image with Debian GNU/Hurd pre-installed available as
   http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz.

--
You can't carve your way to success without cutting remarks.
0
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 7:08:39 AM UTC-5, taka...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

LOL - YOU are a Pultz.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pultz

Wow, YOU wouldn't recognize what is real, if it ran over your sorry arse with a Mack truck.

My how this Pultz babbles on so.  Moi has determined that ALL your ilk are certifiably insane.

Yo, enough of your gibberish, Kook!

Try looking into the mirror. Moi does NOT accept advice from the Liar, Fool, and / or Crazy that is staring back at your ugly mug.
.................. the Moi, has spoken
0
John
2/23/2015 1:13:00 PM
On 2015-02-23 7:08 AM, taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

It won't even detect half of your hardware so I'm curious by your
definition of "competitive."

--
Slimer
OpenMedia, GreenPeace Supporter & SPCA Paw Partner

The history of Linux in one sentence:
"Loser creates technological equivalent of a pig in 1991, keeps adding
lipstick to it thereafter."
0
Slimer
2/23/2015 1:51:44 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
>>> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>>>
>>> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?
>
>The Linux kernel has a lot more than just Google backing it.

Kreep thinks that 75% of the Linux kernel is now "effectively
controlled by corporate America".

The trolling fsckwit is too stupid to understand how the GPL works.

--
"So sentient human beings should have their freedom restricted so that
some bits on a disk somewhere (source code) can have freedom instead."

Linux, Linux, Linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

Tutors / study materials to quickly ramp-up Linux kernel / Linux device drivers for non-Linux embedded experts
Could some one point me any Linux tutor / study material which is written for embedded programmers those who are already familiar with RTOS, low level device driver programming skills? Thanks in advance! --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com 2014-02-04 19:19, t_palani skrev: > Could some one point me any Linux tutor / study material which is written > for embedded programmers those who are already familiar with RTOS, low > level device driver programming skills? > > Thanks in advance! > > C...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

Web resources about - The non-Linux Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy