The right criticisms for the right OS (and/or its users)

I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.  No?
Well, get a life, then.  But yeah, Vista was the Windows Me of NT-
based OSes, and now they're quickly putting XP out to pasture, when
it's still the most widely used OS, and those are fair criticisms of
Microsoft.

(Then again, in Vista's case, they would have at some point had to
release it - and it never would've gotten good enough until after it
was released.  That's unfortunately part of the game they were
playing, but it was worth it to get past the initial rewrite, and
achieve Win7.  The NT/2000/XP codebase was indeed too burdened to
build on, not that that implies anything about XP or its predecessors,
which were part of the gradual transition into modern computing.)

But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the
software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing
(among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong.
Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with
Windows?  Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just
assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying?

The OEMs benefit from that licensing.  It's called volume.  They get
discounted, widely usable software, they churn out hundreds of
identical machines, people get a bargain - no doubt *cheaper* than
offering options would be, for the same hardware.  If you don't want
the software, it's called formatting.  Write off the measly volume-OEM
cost of Windows Home, and consider yourself fortunate to live in the
free world.  Eat a decently sized hamburger for $1 while you're at it,
whiners.

So, yeah, I'm not criticizing Unix-based OSes themselves.  If you're
into it, I'm all for it.  I like Windows, but I don't think it's
inherently better.  It's really just the inanity that comes from Unix
evangelists.

Which brings us to the lowly Mac shitheads.  First of all, stop
pretending that you're running something more elite than Windows.  You
aren't qualified to say "Windoze" (though, ironically enough, the Unix
promoters contradict their own preaching by implying that most people
aren't smart enough to configure Unix - and for once, they'd be right,
if they actually admitted they were making said contradiction).  OS X
isn't fundamentally any better or worse than Windows or actual Unix,
don't get me wrong - but it's laughable to compare it to Microsoft's
far more open architecture.

I mean, let's think about it.  I can spend a few hundred extra bucks
for a Mac, because it's so gosh darn "reliable".  And yet, why is
that?  Two main reasons:  1) Obviously, since Apple has a stranglehold
on what hardware you're allowed to use, that kinda sorta helps them
keep it all in check.  2) Some people don't tinker enough with Windows
drivers to realize that with a little fingertip grease, they can get
their shit straight.

My WiFi adapter's Vista-era drivers didn't quite work smoothly with
Win7 (I had used XP until last month, for which it had good
drivers - presumably the Vista drivers also worked well with Vista,
just not 7, not that I would know), but low and behold, others who
were kind enough to post info about it had similar issues with it, and
even gave awesome hints on how to use chipset drivers that reasonably
easily (for a resourceful user, which unfortunately most people
aren't - I'm not denying that it was relatively complex to install
these unofficial drivers) fixed the problem (not that this excuses the
manufacturer for offering the same old drivers, to be sure, on a card
still being sold brand new today).

If I'd had to buy a new card, that wouldn't have been that big of a
deal, but I didn't - and I certainly didn't need to "upgrade" to a
Mac.  What is it with that particular new "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ad,
anyway?

If I were "upgrading" to Mac, that would mean they finally got off
their fat asses and made OS X legally installable on "PC" hardware.
But then they'd have to admit that Microsoft is superior, wouldn't
they?  Then they'd have to deal with the driver chaos that MS has
stepped up to the plate on for years, wouldn't they?  Their
"reliability" niche would evaporate.

No, buying a whole new computer isn't an "upgrade".  I'm still using
my XP-era "PC".  And I'm running Windows 7 with Aero.  Suck on it,
Apple.  You're the monopoly, in reality.  Just a small-potatoes one.
Can I dual-boot Win7 and OS X on this machine?  No?  Fuck off and die
in obscurity, then.  Completely lame.  Completely pathetic.  And a
joke.  If you like overpriced hardware, and you want their OS, then by
all means, be a sucker - but don't you dare tell me that I'm missing a
damn thing.

In short, it's time to just accept reality.  XP is over.  Maybe it
shouldn't be *just* yet, but it is.  At least they waited till 7 came
out to start abandoning XP.  Vista was a pile of dog shit, but that's
why they made 7.  If you really like non-MS, good for you.  But you
can't deny that the only success of the anti-Vista crowd was in that
people stuck with XP, and/or waited for 7.  No one switched to open
source.  No one switched to Mac.  No one gives two shits about your
oddball software.  I'm critical of Microsoft where appropriate, but
I'm not ashamed to admit liking their product.

--
Joel Crump
0

Joel pulled this Usenet boner:

> I'm

<rest of epic fail snipped>

--
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
Joel wrote:

> But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the
> software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing
> (among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong.
> Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with
> Windows?  Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just
> assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying?

Sorry troll, I know a great DEAL about "business" and businesses do NOT
offer products from onlu ONE third-party supplier unless they are
coerced into doing so or are restricted by contract. It's not business
sense at all.
0
gbplinux1 (352)
11/10/2009 12:48:59 PM
Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> writes:

> Joel wrote:
>>

>> But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the
>> software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing
>> (among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong.
>> Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with
>> Windows?  Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just
>> assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying?
>
> Sorry troll, I know a great DEAL about "business" and businesses do NOT
> offer products from onlu ONE third-party supplier unless they are
> coerced into doing so or are restricted by contract. It's not business
> sense at all.

What are you talking about?

Many tried Linux and failed to ship units.

The good news is that one can buy machiens with Linux from, say Dell, or
possibly machines with NO OS installed.

Linux is easy enough to install now.

No OEM is going through the support nigtmare of creating, shipping and
servicing PCs than MAYBE one in 500 buy versus Windows ones. One in 500?
Yes. Most Linux users of course prefer to install their own OS distro
onto old HW.
0
hadronquark (21814)
11/10/2009 12:57:55 PM
Joel wrote:

>But to all the Unix geekwads

Err, we don't need you to educate us.  We were "wrong" about nothing
(except maybe people's willingness to accept mediocre products as long
as they could be part of the herd), and we are *quite* aware of the
market situation.

--
"Most people dont want a choice. Thats why people ship windows."  -
"True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Joel wrote:
>>

>> But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the
>> software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing
>> (among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong.
>> Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with
>> Windows?  Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just
>> assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying?
>
> Sorry troll, I know a great DEAL about "business"

Why - because you say so?

> and businesses do NOT offer products from onlu ONE third-party supplier
> unless they are coerced into doing so or are restricted by contract. It's
> not business sense at all.

It's bullshit to make a blanket statement like that. Many companies *prefer*
to work with one vendor. Others don't. You can't simply make a
blanket-statement claim that businesses do or don't  work with one 3rd party
supplier. Different companies have different priorities and different needs
so there is no one rule that fits all companies.

0
not-zeke (902)
11/10/2009 3:11:07 PM
Joel wrote:
> I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.

I stopped reading here.

You obviously know very little about computers and have no industry
experience.
Have fun with the viruses, I can't wait until the next klez nails your
Windows 7 which fucking rocks to the wall.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 4:31:31 PM
Justin wrote:
> Joel wrote:
>> I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.
>
> I stopped reading here.
>
> You obviously know very little about computers and have no industry
> experience.
> Have fun with the viruses, I can't wait until the next klez nails your
> Windows 7 which fucking rocks to the wall.

LOL, old Popsicle Justin is out of his college boy and wet behind the
ears crib, and his is loose. He must have eaten a bad po'boy-sandwich
with is baby bottle drink.

Is there a Pamper in the house so that we can change little Justin?
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 4:43:05 PM
Joel wrote:

> From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday 10 November 2009 3:29:53 am
> Groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

[crosspost followups removed]

another flatfish nym.
move along now, nothing to see here.

PLONK
0
none10 (4038)
11/10/2009 5:09:44 PM
Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>Joel pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> I'm
>
><rest of epic fail snipped>

Yup (see, I'm even letting you LIE again by snipping everything after
that word - what a cool, self-assured guy I am - you NERD), just keep
pretending that your obscure OS automatically wins the argument.  It's
called mental masturbation, you exhibit it.

--
Joel Crump
0
Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the
>> software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing
>> (among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong.
>> Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with
>> Windows?  Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just
>> assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying?
>
>Sorry troll, I know a great DEAL about "business" and businesses do NOT
>offer products from onlu ONE third-party supplier unless they are
>coerced into doing so or are restricted by contract. It's not business
>sense at all.

So, it would not cost more to offer all kinds of software options, on
consumer-grade computers, sold in typical retail stores, for
ridiculously cheap prices?  I sure wish I had an MBA, like you. :)

--
Joel Crump
0
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>But to all the Unix geekwads
>
>Err, we don't need you to educate us.  We were "wrong" about nothing
>(except maybe people's willingness to accept mediocre products as long
>as they could be part of the herd), and we are *quite* aware of the
>market situation.

I will accept that some of you see it more for what it is, than
others.  However, you can make perfectly rational, persuasive
arguments while still missing the point.  The point is that neither
you, nor I, are the typical computer/Internet user (read:  consumer).
I like Windows, and don't mind paying for the privilege of using it,
but I could use anything I put my mind to - but most people can't.
Most people can barely figure out Windows to any real extent.  I'm not
criticizing Unix itself, as I stated, but pointing out that it's
unrealistic to say that the typical user will do as well with it as
with Windows.

To get the most out of either one, you have to be knowledgeable.  And
frankly, I'd feel better about Microsoft owing something to its OEMs
and retail Windows buyers, to motivate it to provide easy security
updates for the typical user.  I used Windows 2000 and XP both shortly
after their respective releases, and keeping up with the (admittedly
ridiculously many) updates kept me safe.  And even if it were somehow
true that there are so many Unix flavors that are as easy for typical
consumers to use (as I keep hearing without evidence from some
enthusiasts), doesn't that miss the point of having it?  Why do you
want all these mental midgets using your shit, anyway?  You should be
happy that I'm willing to be dissed (and targeted with malware ...)
along with them.

--
Joel Crump
0
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> Joel wrote:
>>> I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.
>>
>> I stopped reading here.
>>
>> You obviously know very little about computers and have no industry
>> experience.
>> Have fun with the viruses, I can't wait until the next klez nails your
>> Windows 7 which fucking rocks to the wall.
>
> LOL, old Popsicle Justin is out of his college boy and wet behind the
> ears crib, and his is loose. He must have eaten a bad po'boy-sandwich
> with is baby bottle drink.
>
> Is there a Pamper in the house so that we can change little Justin?

BWahaah!

And here comes the cyberstalker old dude who thinks he knows everything.
  Good news!  The House passed the HealthCare bill!  you'll get free
prostate exams for the rest of your life!  Time to celebrate.
Don't get mad you were shown up by that you call a popsicle.  Old dogs
can learn new tricks.  Mythbusters proved it.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 6:38:06 PM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>> I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.
>
>I stopped reading here.

So you're a coward, just like the typical MacWankers.  Big surprise.

>You obviously know very little about computers and have no industry
>experience.

Coming from your dumb ass?  You don't think I can read all you
MacTards like a fuckin' book?  Christ, you guys don't even know your
asses from holes in the ground.  OS X is for people who are just smart
enough to realize they aren't smart enough for Windows or Unix.

>Have fun with the viruses, I can't wait until the next klez nails your
>Windows 7 which fucking rocks to the wall.

Well, it never happened with 2000 and XP, so I ain't worried.  Btw,
the reason there aren't "any" (read:  as many) malware problems with
non-Windows is because nobody uses non-Windows in any real numbers.
Just wait till the very-hypothetical day when Mac takes over, you'll
be dealing with the same thing.

--
Joel Crump
0
none of your buisiness <none@none.com> wrote:

>Joel wrote:
>
>> From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tuesday 10 November 2009 3:29:53 am
>> Groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
>
>[crosspost followups removed]

Gee, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V sure are hard.

>another flatfish nym.

Uh, I was posting with my real name and a valid email address, idiot.
I have nothing to hide.

>move along now, nothing to see here.
>
>PLONK

Please do tell me that you aren't gonna be so arrogant as to think you
can publicly killfile me, when I wasn't addressing you directly,
without me getting the last word.  I would hope you would recognize
your mistake, and let this be the end of it (unless, of course, you'd
like to go back and actually reply to my original post like a person
whose parents didn't teach him that his white-suburbian-private-school
shit don't stink).

0
file1 (1)
11/10/2009 6:41:19 PM
Joel wrote:

>It's called mental masturbation, you exhibit it.

What you exhibit is called "trolling".

"If Linux were more popular, it would be targetted more and the
security situation would not be improved from now with Windows."

Gosh!  This is the first time THAT argument has been presented!  THAT
simple-minded, ignorant argument has not been dubunked countless
times!

*plonk*

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 7:01:02 PM
Kill wrote:

>without me getting the last word

I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.

*plonk*

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 7:17:34 PM
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks.
>> I stopped reading here.
>

> So you're a coward, just like the typical MacWankers.  Big surprise.

I stopped reading here.
The fact is you're just some kid whose dad saw a deal at Best Buy, you
get picked on at school so you come here.
But hey, as long as you're here you're not pulling a Columbine so please
stay, I think of this as a service to humanity.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 7:21:08 PM
chrisv wrote:
> Kill wrote:
>
>> without me getting the last word
>
> I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
> one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.
>
> *plonk*

Bwahaha!  Looks like you're the true coward.
The fact is, you're upset.  Did one of your ennemies get a new car for
his 16th birthday?  Did the girl you had a crush on end up going to the
prom with that guy?  You;'re a sad little whisp of a man.
Instead of trolling on here, maybe you should put more efort into
studying.  Maybe get into a decent college?  Ha!  That's too much work.
  You'd end up hating women after all the sorority chicks laughed at
you.  ;)

Good luck kiddo!
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 7:23:56 PM
chrisv wrote:
> Kill wrote:
>
>> without me getting the last word
>
> I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
> one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.
>
> *plonk*

He thinks he can just change his name and email andpeople won't know its
him!  Oh that's such a n00b mistake!
Typical 'doze user.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 7:25:34 PM
Kill wrote:
> none of your buisiness <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> Joel wrote:
>>
>>> From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Tuesday 10 November 2009 3:29:53 am
>>> Groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>> comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
>> [crosspost followups removed]
>

> Gee, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V sure are hard.
>

>> another flatfish nym.
>

> Uh, I was posting with my real name and a valid email address, idiot.
> I have nothing to hide.
>

>> move along now, nothing to see here.
>>
>> PLONK
>

> Please do tell me that you aren't gonna be so arrogant as to think you
> can publicly killfile me, when I wasn't addressing you directly,
> without me getting the last word.  I would hope you would recognize
> your mistake, and let this be the end of it (unless, of course, you'd
> like to go back and actually reply to my original post like a person
> whose parents didn't teach him that his white-suburbian-private-school
> shit don't stink).

You are such a n00b!  Bwahahaha!
Oh this is awesome!  You joined giganews to get the binaries - looking
for some free porn?  I wonder how long it'll take for you to get hit
with a rootkit.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 7:31:57 PM
Justin wrote:
> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>>
>>> I stopped reading here.
>>>
>>> You obviously know very little about computers and have no industry
>>> experience.
>>> Have fun with the viruses, I can't wait until the next klez nails
>>> your Windows 7 which fucking rocks to the wall.
>>
>> LOL, old Popsicle Justin is out of his college boy and wet behind the
>> ears crib, and his is loose. He must have eaten a bad po'boy-sandwich
>> with is baby bottle drink.
>>
>> Is there a Pamper in the house so that we can change little Justin?
>
> BWahaah!

You should stop whining like a little bitch, young fool.

> And here comes the cyberstalker old dude who thinks he knows everything.

And here is a young wet behind the ears fool that's to young to know
he's  a fool that doesn't know jack.

>  Good news!  The House passed the HealthCare bill!  you'll get free
> prostate exams for the rest of your life!

Young fool,  what do you think is going to happen to you at some point
in your life, if your dumbass makes it that far? If your dumbsss makes
it that far, you'll be an old fool that didn't learn anything prostate
cancer is going to take you out anyway.

I don't think your dumbass is going to make it that far to even consider
a prostate check, as you like to run your mouth too much. Someone will
take you out due to your lip service just on GP I suspect one day. A
check your mouth wrote that you can't backup.

>  Time to celebrate.

All young fools like to celebrate. Celebrate what young fool? You don't
know how to celebrate, as you're too young and dumb to know what to
celebrate.

> Don't get mad you were shown up by that you call a popsicle.  Old dogs
> can learn new tricks.

Get mad? All I can do is laugh at you for being a young fool.

> Mythbusters proved it.

Boy, you watch too much TV, you little popsicle.

0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 8:16:07 PM
Justin wrote:

<snipped>
<yawn>
<pfft>

Young fool, you're totally out of control, just like a young fool.
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 8:18:09 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> <yawn>
> <pfft>
>
> Young fool, you're totally out of control, just like a young fool.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
But I'm sure in your infinite wisdom that you have gathered over your
many many years of experience you should have the solutions to
everyone's problems, right?  And that answer is "do what everyone else
does."  Be a conformist.  When the government says grab a gun and head
off to asia and fight - you do it!  HOO HA!
Ready,
set,
Conform!
Luckily we're loosing about 1,000 to 1,500 of you people per day so
things will start looking up in about five years.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 8:31:53 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:

<snipped>
<yawn>
<pfft>

Old fool, you're totally out of control, just like an old fool.
http://tinyurl.com/4vg57

0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 8:34:37 PM
Justin wrote:
> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> <yawn>
> <pfft>
>

> Old fool, you're totally out of control, just like an old fool.
> http://tinyurl.com/4vg57

LOL, young fool, I don't look a stage props. Just like all young fools,
you can't be original, and you need help, young fool. :-P
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 8:42:26 PM
Joel wrote:

>It's called mental masturbation, you exhibit it.

What you exhibit is called "trolling".

"If Linux were more popular, it would be targetted more and the
security situation would not be improved from now with Windows."

Gosh!  This is the first time THAT argument has been presented!  THAT
simple-minded, ignorant argument has not been dubunked countless
times!

*plonk*

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 8:43:47 PM
Justin wrote:
> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>> <yawn>
>> <pfft>
>>
>> Young fool, you're totally out of control, just like a young fool.
>
> If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> But I'm sure in your infinite wisdom that you have gathered over your
> many many years of experience you should have the solutions to
> everyone's problems, right?  And that answer is "do what everyone else
> does."  Be a conformist.  When the government says grab a gun and head
> off to asia and fight - you do it!  HOO HA!
> Ready,
> set,
> Conform!
> Luckily we're loosing about 1,000 to 1,500 of you people per day so
> things will start looking up in about five years.

LOL, you're loosing it young fool. Why don't pull out a stage prop?
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 8:44:06 PM
(snip duplicate post)

Well, hell, the 1:01 PM post *finally* shows-up, after I'd given-up on
it...

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 8:52:50 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>>> Justin wrote:
>>>
>>> <snipped>
>>> <yawn>
>>> <pfft>
>>>
>>> Young fool, you're totally out of control, just like a young fool.
>>
>> If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
>> But I'm sure in your infinite wisdom that you have gathered over your
>> many many years of experience you should have the solutions to
>> everyone's problems, right?  And that answer is "do what everyone else
>> does."  Be a conformist.  When the government says grab a gun and head
>> off to asia and fight - you do it!  HOO HA!
>> Ready,
>> set,
>> Conform!
>> Luckily we're loosing about 1,000 to 1,500 of you people per day so
>> things will start looking up in about five years.
>
> LOL, you're loosing it young fool. Why don't pull out a stage prop?

Sure!  Will do!
Let me flip it open, its a grumpy old man detector and its pegged.  Its
effectiveness is quite good even at extreme long range.

That reminds me, there was this old fool a few blocks away when I was a
kid.  We glued his windshield wipers to the glass.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 8:53:55 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>> <yawn>
>> <pfft>
>>

>> Old fool, you're totally out of control, just like an old fool.
>> http://tinyurl.com/4vg57
>>

> LOL, young fool, I don't look a stage props. Just like all young fools,
> you can't be original, and you need help, young fool. :-P

and you need help going to the john!  Maybe some young fool will detect
your prostate cancer before it spreads.
If not, well, I suggest using iMovie and make some DVDs for your grandkids.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 8:55:45 PM
On Nov 10, 4:08=A0am, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> Joel pulled this Usenet boner:
>
> > I'm
>
> <rest of epic fail snipped>
>
> --
> Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
> possess.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lor=
d of the Rings"]

Joel, rhymes with Troell.
0
nessuno7491 (870)
11/10/2009 9:10:32 PM
Justin wrote:

> That reminds me, there was this old fool a few blocks away when I was a
> kid.  We glued his windshield wipers to the glass.

Yeah, popsicle you needed backup because you're gutless. You couldn't do
anything on your own if your life depended upon it.

Where was your mama, little boy?

0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 9:18:55 PM
Justin wrote:
> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Mr. Majestic wrote:
>>>
>>> <snipped>
>>> <yawn>
>>> <pfft>
>>>

>>> Old fool, you're totally out of control, just like an old fool.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4vg57
>>>

>> LOL, young fool, I don't look a stage props. Just like all young
>> fools, you can't be original, and you need help, young fool. :-P
>

> and you need help going to the john!  Maybe some young fool will detect
> your prostate cancer before it spreads.
> If not, well, I suggest using iMovie and make some DVDs for your grandkids.

Young fool, when you get a package you can use that you have not used
the magic healing glove on, you wet dreamed about using it or called 411
on it, then you call 911. :-P
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 9:24:22 PM

>>> I stopped reading here.
>>
>> So you're a coward, just like the typical MacWankers.  Big surprise.
>
>I stopped reading here.
>The fact is you're just some kid whose dad saw a deal at Best Buy, you
>get picked on at school so you come here.

Actually, if it matters, I pre-ordered the System Builder OEM package
of Win7 Pro from Newegg, and installed it from the MSDN ISO well
before it came in the mail on the 22nd, thanks to the activation grace
period, on the same previously-XP machine I put together myself.  But
you can keep proving the "wanker" moniker. :)

>But hey, as long as you're here you're not pulling a Columbine so please
>stay, I think of this as a service to humanity.

Lol, you are too funny.  I give you points for being a touch more
ballsy than the usual Mac enthusiast.  Then again, that ain't saying
much.

--
Joel Crump
0
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Kill wrote:
>
>>without me getting the last word
>
>I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
>one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.
>
>*plonk*

Oh, so it's my fault that you nimrods have to publicly killfile
someone who wasn't addressing you?  The ball's in your court, nerd
boy.  Quit replying, if you really don't wanna read it.  I didn't go
to private school, and my neighborhood isn't gated.

0
you6889 (1)
11/10/2009 9:25:19 PM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>You are such a n00b!  Bwahahaha!
>Oh this is awesome!  You joined giganews to get the binaries - looking
>for some free porn?  I wonder how long it'll take for you to get hit
>with a rootkit.

Actually, I first used GN when I was still on dial-up, because I
changed ISPs, and wasn't satisfied with the Usenet text-group access
on the then-new one (and have used other NSPs, at different times
since then).  And last I checked, it's trivial to tell the difference
between a potentially-infected "binary" and one that isn't.  You're
really getting desperate.

--
Joel Crump
0
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Joel wrote:
>
>>It's called mental masturbation, you exhibit it.
>
>What you exhibit is called "trolling".
>
>"If Linux were more popular, it would be targetted more and the
>security situation would not be improved from now with Windows."
>
>Gosh!  This is the first time THAT argument has been presented!  THAT
>simple-minded, ignorant argument has not been dubunked countless
>times!
>
>*plonk*

And yet you keep publicly killfiling me, rather than proving your
point, just like all the brainwashed Unix cult minions.  What's
"simple-minded" is even imagining that you can "debunk" something that
could only be proven definitively if it were given a chance to happen
(which it won't, because Windows is good, and Microsoft ain't near
giving up developing it).  What makes you idiots think that you could
exponentially increase the number of users of Unix-based OSes and keep
anything like it is now?  Do you know *anything* about the real world?

My points all stand.  You are dead in the water.  You can do nothing
but whine and accuse me of trolling, and make unfounded assertions;
unless you wanna try again.

0
fuck8945 (1)
11/10/2009 9:30:15 PM
nessuno <nessuno7491@gmail.com> wrote:

>Joel, rhymes with Troell.

And I'm supposed to care if you want to be a delusional j.o. and write
me off as such, since you can't actually refute anything I said?  I'm
just a little more self-aware than that, peon.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:

>>> So you're a coward, just like the typical MacWankers.  Big surprise.
>> I stopped reading here.
>> The fact is you're just some kid whose dad saw a deal at Best Buy, you
>> get picked on at school so you come here.
>

> Actually, if it matters, I pre-ordered the System Builder OEM package
> of Win7 Pro from Newegg, and installed it from the MSDN ISO well
> before it came in the mail on the 22nd, thanks to the activation grace
> period, on the same previously-XP machine I put together myself.  But
> you can keep proving the "wanker" moniker. :)
>

>> But hey, as long as you're here you're not pulling a Columbine so please
>> stay, I think of this as a service to humanity.
>

> Lol, you are too funny.  I give you points for being a touch more
> ballsy than the usual Mac enthusiast.  Then again, that ain't saying
> much.

LOL, Popsicle Justin is a COLA mascot, a pet. Do you see how young he is
  with Columbine on his wet behind the ears young breath?

He's a young and dumb *clown*.
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 9:31:28 PM
chrisv wrote:

>I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
>one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.

Hehe.  The nym-shifting troll responds anyway.

Posts from "Are" and "Butt" were deleted, unread.   8)

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 9:53:59 PM
nessuno wrote:

>Joel, rhymes with Troell.

Hehe.  Joel the Troell.  I like it!

Here's my "Joel the Troell" imitation:

"Duuhhhh.....  Doesn't having the source code available, for hackers
to look at, make it more vulnerable???   Duuuhhhh....  I'm an ignorant
fsckwit!   Duuuhhhhh...."

0
chrisv (22840)
11/10/2009 9:58:16 PM
Joel wrote:

>>> So you're a coward, just like the typical MacWankers.  Big surprise.
>> I stopped reading here.
>> The fact is you're just some kid whose dad saw a deal at Best Buy, you
>> get picked on at school so you come here.
>

> Actually, if it matters,

It doesn't - that's where I stopped reading.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 9:59:07 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Joel wrote:

>>> I stopped reading here.
>>> The fact is you're just some kid whose dad saw a deal at Best Buy,
>>> you get picked on at school so you come here.
>>

>> Actually, if it matters, I pre-ordered the System Builder OEM package
>> of Win7 Pro from Newegg, and installed it from the MSDN ISO well
>> before it came in the mail on the 22nd, thanks to the activation grace
>> period, on the same previously-XP machine I put together myself.  But
>> you can keep proving the "wanker" moniker. :)
>>

>>> But hey, as long as you're here you're not pulling a Columbine so
>>> please stay, I think of this as a service to humanity.
>>

>> Lol, you are too funny.  I give you points for being a touch more
>> ballsy than the usual Mac enthusiast.  Then again, that ain't saying
>> much.
>>

> LOL, Popsicle Justin is a COLA mascot, a pet. Do you see how young he is
>  with Columbine on his wet behind the ears young breath?
>
> He's a young and dumb *clown*.

Actually in college I did dress up as the mascot for one game.  It was
fun!  Hot as hell in that suit even though it was freezing outside.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:00:09 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> Mr. Majestic wrote:

>>> LOL, young fool, I don't look a stage props. Just like all young
>>> fools, you can't be original, and you need help, young fool. :-P
>>

>> and you need help going to the john!  Maybe some young fool will
>> detect your prostate cancer before it spreads.
>> If not, well, I suggest using iMovie and make some DVDs for your
>> grandkids.
>
> Young fool, when you get a package you can use that you have not used
> the magic healing glove on, you wet dreamed about using it or called 411
> on it, then you call 911. :-P

Wait, 411 still works?
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:00:59 PM
Butt wrote:
> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Joel wrote:
>>
>>> It's called mental masturbation, you exhibit it.
>> What you exhibit is called "trolling".
>>
>> "If Linux were more popular, it would be targetted more and the
>> security situation would not be improved from now with Windows."
>>
>> Gosh!  This is the first time THAT argument has been presented!  THAT
>> simple-minded, ignorant argument has not been dubunked countless
>> times!
>>
>> *plonk*
>

> And yet you keep publicly killfiling me,

I stopped reading here.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:04:16 PM
chrisv wrote:
> chrisv wrote:
>
>> I guess we now know now to not even read any post from any
>> one-hit-wonder 'nym.  I know I won't.  Not in this thread, at least.
>
> Hehe.  The nym-shifting troll responds anyway.
>
> Posts from "Are" and "Butt" were deleted, unread.   8)

He's not even nym-shifting - he simply changing his info in his
newsreader.  I used to do that back in '95.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:07:16 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>

>> That reminds me, there was this old fool a few blocks away when I was
>> a kid.  We glued his windshield wipers to the glass.
>
> Yeah, popsicle you needed backup because you're gutless. You couldn't do
> anything on your own if your life depended upon it.
>
> Where was your mama, little boy?

It was teamwork.  My friend was the lookout while I did the deed.  The
next prank we switched roles.

My mom was getting a masters degree in art history, so from when I got
home from school (3pm) to 7:30pm I was pretty much free to do what I
wanted.  There was this girl Amy, I was partnered up with her for AP
Chem, tight bod brown silky hair, amazingly brown eyes.  The things we
did from 3 to 7.  I always beat her in F-Zero!
We still keep in touch on facebook.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:11:27 PM
"Mr. Majestic" <Majestic@Majestic.com> wrote:

>LOL, Popsicle Justin is a COLA mascot, a pet. Do you see how young he is
>  with Columbine on his wet behind the ears young breath?
>
>He's a young and dumb *clown*.

Yeah, I ain't too impressed with him.  It's really funny how they're
all so sure we're wrong, and yet too "lazy" (unable) to refute any of
it.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin wrote:

<snipped>
<yawn>
<not even read stupid>

Popsicle Justin, you're too boring and you have no game, go back to
school boy.

I can open your nose at anytime boy and make you respond.
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 10:17:43 PM
Justin wrote:

<yawn>

Good bye stupid for today, keep your nose open for me so when I toss the
line out there, you'll jump on it hook, line and sinker again -- boy.

OLAY BOY!

<VBG>
0
Majestic (133)
11/10/2009 10:24:14 PM
chrisv wrote:
> nessuno wrote:
>
>> Joel, rhymes with Troell.
>
> Hehe.  Joel the Troell.  I like it!
>
> Here's my "Joel the Troell" imitation:
>
> "Duuhhhh.....  Doesn't having the source code available, for hackers
> to look at, make it more vulnerable???   Duuuhhhh....  I'm an ignorant
> fsckwit!   Duuuhhhhh...."

It just shows how God awful Microsoft's engineers are.  Even without the
source they find weaknesses.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:31:07 PM
Joel wrote:
> "Mr. Majestic" <Majestic@Majestic.com> wrote:
>
>> LOL, Popsicle Justin is a COLA mascot, a pet. Do you see how young he is
>>  with Columbine on his wet behind the ears young breath?
>>
>> He's a young and dumb *clown*.
>

> Yeah, I ain't too impressed with him.  It's really funny how they're
> all so sure we're wrong, and yet too "lazy" (unable) to refute any of
> it.

You "ain't?"  Well at least you haven't used a "y'all" yet.
For what its worth, I don't think you people are inherently bad, simply
misguided.  During my undergrad I learned how to look others' views and
learned there are reasons people think the way they do.  But you
wouldn't understand that.  :)

"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without
getting nervous. "
   --Alexander Hamilton
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:40:28 PM
Mr. Majestic wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> <yawn>
> <not even read stupid>
>
> Popsicle Justin, you're too boring and you have no game, go back to
> school boy.
>
> I can open your nose at anytime boy and make you respond.

That's not really impressive, I have a short attention span.
However, I got you to spew out some long tirade which I didn't read and
managed to string you along in this thread.  So touché!
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:45:12 PM
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>> You are such a n00b!  Bwahahaha!
>> Oh this is awesome!  You joined giganews to get the binaries - looking
>> for some free porn?  I wonder how long it'll take for you to get hit
>> with a rootkit.
>

> Actually, I first used GN when I was still on dial-up, because I
> changed ISPs, and wasn't satisfied with the Usenet text-group access
> on the then-new one (and have used other NSPs, at different times
> since then).  And last I checked, it's trivial to tell the difference
> between a potentially-infected "binary" and one that isn't.  You're
> really getting desperate.

There are about 200 free text usenet servers around the world.  You
actually paid for GN just to access text?
and yes, most usenet binary servers scan for viruses, and whatnot, not
to mention the hodgepodge of AV software available.
I don't see how you can interpret what I said as getting desperate.
Eventually you're going to try to graduate from "n00b" to "script
kiddie" and download something that infects your precious Windows 7.
0
justin53 (598)
11/10/2009 10:49:15 PM
Justin wrote:

> That's not really impressive, I have a short attention span.
> However, I got you to spew out some long tirade which I didn't read and
> managed to string you along in this thread.  So touché!

Trolling the troll? But who knows who's whom?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
On Nov 10, 3:29=A0am, Joel <joelcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> in obscurity, then. =A0Completely lame. =A0Completely pathetic. =A0And a
> joke. =A0If you like overpriced hardware, and you want their OS, then by
> all means, be a sucker - but don't you dare tell me that I'm missing a
> damn thing.
>
> In short, it's time to just accept reality. =A0XP is over. =A0Maybe it
> shouldn't be *just* yet, but it is. =A0At least they waited till 7 came
> out to start abandoning XP. =A0Vista was a pile of dog shit, but that's
> why they made 7. =A0If you really like non-MS, good for you. =A0But you
> can't deny that the only success of the anti-Vista crowd was in that
> people stuck with XP, and/or waited for 7. =A0No one switched to open
> source. =A0No one switched to Mac. =A0No one gives two shits about your
> oddball software. =A0I'm critical of Microsoft where appropriate, but
> I'm not ashamed to admit liking their product.

Very cool post.  My W7 experience to date is the same.  Great
product.  Vista was OK here after SP1,

How soon the Mac nerds forgot OS X v1.0 - not usable at all.

0
tom_elam (3218)
11/11/2009 12:42:17 AM
RonB wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> That's not really impressive, I have a short attention span.
>> However, I got you to spew out some long tirade which I didn't read and
>> managed to string you along in this thread. � So touché!
>
> Trolling the troll? But who knows who's whom?

You're absolutely right.
I apologize.
0
Justin
11/11/2009 12:51:06 AM
Justin wrote:

> That reminds me, there was this old fool a few blocks away when I was
> a kid.  We glued his windshield wipers to the glass.

I bet you graduate from petty vandalism to wife-murder in just a few short
years.

Careful or you'll get beat up in prison:

http://cbs5.com/crime/hans.reiser.attack.2.905257.html

Do you already have that dull stare and slack-jawed look?

0
nospam11 (18349)
11/11/2009 2:34:34 AM
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:42:17 -0800, Tommy Troll wrote
(in article
<3f925ecb-1495-44ae-b0cc-9efc67e1753c@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>):

> [...]
>> damn thing.
>>
>> In short, it's time to just accept reality. �XP is over. �Maybe it
>> shouldn't be *just* yet, but it is. �At least they waited till 7 came
>> out to start abandoning XP. �Vista was a pile of dog shit, but that's
>> why they made 7. �If you really like non-MS, good for you. �But you
>> can't deny that the only success of the anti-Vista crowd was in that
>> people stuck with XP, and/or waited for 7. �No one switched to open
>> source. �No one switched to Mac. �No one gives two shits about your
>> oddball software. �I'm critical of Microsoft where appropriate, but
>> I'm not ashamed to admit liking their product.
>>
>> --
>> Joel Crump
>
> Very cool post.  My W7 experience to date is the same.  Great
> product.  Vista was OK here after SP1,
>
> How soon the Mac nerds forgot OS X v1.0 - not usable at all.

Really? I found it fine. Not as good as it is now, of course, but I'll say
this: OSX v.1.0 was better than Win7 is NOW.

Of course, you used OSX v.1.0 extensively and know that it was unusable from
personal experience, right, Tommy?

0
fa-groon (1448)
11/11/2009 2:44:56 AM
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>nessuno wrote:
>
>>Joel, rhymes with Troell.
>
>Hehe.  Joel the Troell.  I like it!
>
>Here's my "Joel the Troell" imitation:
>
>"Duuhhhh.....  Doesn't having the source code available, for hackers
>to look at, make it more vulnerable???   Duuuhhhh....  I'm an ignorant
>fsckwit!   Duuuhhhhh...."

You're retarded.  Look at the context.  The person I was replying to
was bringing up all kinds of absurd, paranoid hypotheticals about
Microsoft itself spying on its users.  All I was pointing out is that
there is a certain reasoning for keeping source code closed.  I also
specifically said that I didn't think one was necessarily better than
the other.

In other words, all you can do is distort, lie, and make personal
attacks.  You lose.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>chrisv wrote:
>>
>> "Duuhhhh.....  Doesn't having the source code available, for hackers
>> to look at, make it more vulnerable???   Duuuhhhh....  I'm an ignorant
>> fsckwit!   Duuuhhhhh...."
>
>It just shows how God awful Microsoft's engineers are.  Even without the
>source they find weaknesses.

And Microsoft patches their product.  Big fuckin' whoop.  Your OS gets
security updates, too.  You're just spinning your wheels, and still
(conveniently) living in the pre-XP-SP2 days.  Leave the arguments to
the Linux geeks, Apple boy, they might actually have a prayer.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>I stopped reading here.

Well, aren't you just *too* special. :)  Gosh, you really are
sheltered.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, I ain't too impressed with him.  It's really funny how they're
>> all so sure we're wrong, and yet too "lazy" (unable) to refute any of
>> it.
>
>You "ain't?"  Well at least you haven't used a "y'all" yet.

Are you incapable of reading anything but fuckface narcissistic stick-
up-ass nerdy grew-up-on-liquid-acid "proper" English?  No wonder you
use a Mac.

>For what its worth, I don't think you people are inherently bad, simply
>misguided.  During my undergrad I learned how to look others' views and
>learned there are reasons people think the way they do.  But you
>wouldn't understand that.  :)

So, you were already over 18 when you finally figured that out.  Guess
I was right in the first paragraph in this reply ...

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>> Actually, if it matters,
>
>It doesn't - that's where I stopped reading.

Heh, you sure are one repetitive dweeb.  At least your parents were
wise enough to keep you out of public school.  We didn't like your
kind.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>> Hehe.  The nym-shifting troll responds anyway.
>>
>> Posts from "Are" and "Butt" were deleted, unread.   8)
>
>He's not even nym-shifting - he simply changing his info in his
>newsreader.  I used to do that back in '95.

If people who I wasn't addressing want to publicly killfile me, I
reserve the right to attempt a temporary solution to get the last
word.  That's called sticking it to the fuckface nerd.  If he didn't
read it, who gives a fuck - but I'll still try, on principle.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>There are about 200 free text usenet servers around the world.  You
>actually paid for GN just to access text?

At the time, I was using text NGs *very* heavily.  I didn't mind
paying for the minimum account (which, today, is literally a pittance,
but even then, wasn't much).  Your need to read my mind (and fail),
and question all these things, just goes to show what a dipshit nerd
you are.  There are perfectly good reasons to use premium servers for
text groups.  Only an idiot would not have any imagination for such
scenarios.

>and yes, most usenet binary servers scan for viruses, and whatnot, not
>to mention the hodgepodge of AV software available.

Not downloading *software* also works, genius.  I don't use pirated
software, period.

>I don't see how you can interpret what I said as getting desperate.
>Eventually you're going to try to graduate from "n00b" to "script
>kiddie" and download something that infects your precious Windows 7.

You're getting desperate because you're just generating lots of canned
personal attacks, and you're wrong about all of them - and you should
be able to see that.  I have displayed an extremely high degree of
intelligence, if you were wise enough to perceive it, Mac boy.

--
Joel Crump
0
Tommy Troll <tom_elam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Very cool post.  My W7 experience to date is the same.  Great
>product.  Vista was OK here after SP1,
>
>How soon the Mac nerds forgot OS X v1.0 - not usable at all.

Keep tellin' 'em.  Microsoft is far from all bad, and they should get
credit where due.  Some of us even prefer their product, and we should
be proud of it!

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>> chrisv wrote:
>>> "Duuhhhh.....  Doesn't having the source code available, for hackers
>>> to look at, make it more vulnerable???   Duuuhhhh....  I'm an ignorant
>>> fsckwit!   Duuuhhhhh...."
>> It just shows how God awful Microsoft's engineers are.  Even without the
>> source they find weaknesses.
>

> And Microsoft patches their product.  Big fuckin' whoop.  Your OS gets
> security updates, too.  You're just spinning your wheels, and still
> (conveniently) living in the pre-XP-SP2 days.  Leave the arguments to
> the Linux geeks, Apple boy, they might actually have a prayer.

Come now, n00b you prefer it this way.
Microsoft patches their product after a few years and after some Sweede
publishes the exploit forcing the issue.  It took Apple a month to patch
Snow Leopard.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 3:12:54 AM
Justin wrote:
> Joel wrote:
>> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>>> It just shows how God awful Microsoft's engineers are.  Even
>>> without the source they find weaknesses.
>>

>> And Microsoft patches their product.  Big fuckin' whoop.  Your OS
>> gets security updates, too.  You're just spinning your wheels, and
>> still (conveniently) living in the pre-XP-SP2 days.  Leave the
>> arguments to the Linux geeks, Apple boy, they might actually have a
>> prayer.
>

> Come now, n00b you prefer it this way.
> Microsoft patches their product after a few years and after some
> Sweede publishes the exploit forcing the issue.  It took Apple a
> month to patch Snow Leopard.

It took Ubuntu more than 6 months to even confirm a massive data loss bug

It's still not fixed.

"Many eyes mean Linux bugs are found and fixed more quickly than in Windows"

0
nospam11 (18349)
11/11/2009 3:26:35 AM
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>> There are about 200 free text usenet servers around the world.  You
>> actually paid for GN just to access text?
>

> At the time, I was using text NGs *very* heavily.  I didn't mind
> paying for the minimum account (which, today, is literally a pittance,
> but even then, wasn't much).  Your need to read my mind (and fail),
> and question all these things, just goes to show what a dipshit nerd
> you are.  There are perfectly good reasons to use premium servers for
> text groups.  Only an idiot would not have any imagination for such
> scenarios.

Trolling is that much of a priority in your life?

>> and yes, most usenet binary servers scan for viruses, and whatnot, not
>> to mention the hodgepodge of AV software available.
>

> Not downloading *software* also works, genius.  I don't use pirated
> software, period.

Sure.  You eventually will - after all you're going to be a script
kiddie when you grow up.  It'll be fun!

>> I don't see how you can interpret what I said as getting desperate.
>> Eventually you're going to try to graduate from "n00b" to "script
>> kiddie" and download something that infects your precious Windows 7.
>

> You're getting desperate because you're just generating lots of canned
> personal attacks, and you're wrong about all of them - and you should
> be able to see that.  I have displayed an extremely high degree of
> intelligence, if you were wise enough to perceive it, Mac boy.

Actually, you displayed a high degree of ignorance.  Its pretty obvious
you have no industry experience and won't work well with others.  You'd
make a good MCSE!
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 3:58:16 AM
Fa-groon wrote:
> [...]
>>> why they made 7.  If you really like non-MS, good for you.  But you
>>> can't deny that the only success of the anti-Vista crowd was in that
>>> people stuck with XP, and/or waited for 7.  No one switched to open
>>> source.  No one switched to Mac.  No one gives two shits about your
>>> oddball software.  I'm critical of Microsoft where appropriate, but
>>> I'm not ashamed to admit liking their product.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joel Crump
>> Very cool post.  My W7 experience to date is the same.  Great
>> product.  Vista was OK here after SP1,
>>
>> How soon the Mac nerds forgot OS X v1.0 - not usable at all.
>>

> Really? I found it fine. Not as good as it is now, of course, but I'll say
> this: OSX v.1.0 was better than Win7 is NOW.
>
> Of course, you used OSX v.1.0 extensively and know that it was unusable from

So did our little nym kiddie.  I mean, his experience far outweighs
anyones.  Even the wise old man Majestic!  Those two should get
together.  Its a match made in usenet.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 4:00:39 AM
Joel wrote:
> Tommy Troll <tom_elam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Very cool post.  My W7 experience to date is the same.  Great
>> product.  Vista was OK here after SP1,
>>
>> How soon the Mac nerds forgot OS X v1.0 - not usable at all.
>

> Keep tellin' 'em.  Microsoft is far from all bad, and they should get
> credit where due.  Some of us even prefer their product, and we should
> be proud of it!

you would do more good if you weren't on their side.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 4:15:58 AM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>> Keep tellin' 'em.  Microsoft is far from all bad, and they should get
>> credit where due.  Some of us even prefer their product, and we should
>> be proud of it!
>
>you would do more good if you weren't on their side.

I'm not defending their premature abandonment of XP.  That's pretty
cold of them.  Then again, it's the name of the game (i.e. commercial
software) - I got several years out of my $190 XP Pro retail upgrade,
and now I'll get a few more out of my $135 7 Pro OEM pre-order
special.  I'm not that poor that I can't pay for software upgrades
every so often.  I would actually feel bad downloading Linux for free,
when people work so damn hard on it.  I'd have to find a way of
donating money (as I have done, in fact, for certain open source
software for Windows).

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>>> It just shows how God awful Microsoft's engineers are.  Even without the
>>> source they find weaknesses.
>>
>> And Microsoft patches their product.  Big fuckin' whoop.  Your OS gets
>> security updates, too.  You're just spinning your wheels, and still
>> (conveniently) living in the pre-XP-SP2 days.  Leave the arguments to
>> the Linux geeks, Apple boy, they might actually have a prayer.
>
>Come now, n00b you prefer it this way.

I was using the Internet before most people were.  If I'm a noob, God
help us.

>Microsoft patches their product after a few years and after some Sweede
>publishes the exploit forcing the issue.  It took Apple a month to patch
>Snow Leopard.

They all patch their products as vulnerabilities are revealed.  Their
existence is irrelevant before that point.  Even with the worst of the
Windows worms, years ago now, people were able to enhance their
security practices until patches were released.  It just ain't nearly
as bad as you want to make it out to be.  Ironically, as a Mac
advocate, you are hoping to make your OS a more likely target for
malware, if you were somehow able to convince people that spending
outrageous prices for hardware made any sense.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>>> There are about 200 free text usenet servers around the world.  You
>>> actually paid for GN just to access text?
>>
>> At the time, I was using text NGs *very* heavily.  I didn't mind
>> paying for the minimum account (which, today, is literally a pittance,
>> but even then, wasn't much).  Your need to read my mind (and fail),
>> and question all these things, just goes to show what a dipshit nerd
>> you are.  There are perfectly good reasons to use premium servers for
>> text groups.  Only an idiot would not have any imagination for such
>> scenarios.
>
>Trolling is that much of a priority in your life?

Ha ha ha, very cute.  I'm not even trolling, by the way.  I guess I
could have been a little more passive in my original post, but hey,
that wouldn't be as entertaining.  I assure you, I am just as
passionate about Windows as you are about Mac.  I enjoy using it.  I
think it's worth the money.  I think Microsoft deserves a lot of
credit for their competitive spirit, and for acknowledging their past
mistakes.

>>> and yes, most usenet binary servers scan for viruses, and whatnot, not
>>> to mention the hodgepodge of AV software available.
>>
>> Not downloading *software* also works, genius.  I don't use pirated
>> software, period.
>
>Sure.  You eventually will - after all you're going to be a script
>kiddie when you grow up.  It'll be fun!

Script kiddies are the people who take advantage of exploits, not the
victims of them.  And I've never been the victim of one, since I'm not
retarded enough to accept software from unreliable sources.

>>> I don't see how you can interpret what I said as getting desperate.
>>> Eventually you're going to try to graduate from "n00b" to "script
>>> kiddie" and download something that infects your precious Windows 7.
>>
>> You're getting desperate because you're just generating lots of canned
>> personal attacks, and you're wrong about all of them - and you should
>> be able to see that.  I have displayed an extremely high degree of
>> intelligence, if you were wise enough to perceive it, Mac boy.
>
>Actually, you displayed a high degree of ignorance.  Its pretty obvious
>you have no industry experience and won't work well with others.  You'd
>make a good MCSE!

Anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, we get it.  We may not
*buy* it, since it's a load of narcissistic crap, but we get it.

--
Joel Crump
0
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>So did our little nym kiddie.

No equal criticism of the public-killfiler narcissists, then?  Gee,
you sure would make a good judge.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:

>>> At the time, I was using text NGs *very* heavily.  I didn't mind
>>> paying for the minimum account (which, today, is literally a pittance,
>>> but even then, wasn't much).  Your need to read my mind (and fail),
>>> and question all these things, just goes to show what a dipshit nerd
>>> you are.  There are perfectly good reasons to use premium servers for
>>> text groups.  Only an idiot would not have any imagination for such
>>> scenarios.
>> Trolling is that much of a priority in your life?
>

> Ha ha ha, very cute.  I'm not even trolling, by the way.

I stopped reading here.
   Yes, coming into a Mac advocacy newsgrou and bragging about how
awesome Windows 7 is - that is the definition of trolling.
The same would be said if I went into a Honda Newsgroup and told
everyone how awesome my 5.3L Monte Carlo is.
That is trolling.  If you can't understand that, you really are a n00b -
or just plain dumb.
Your first post, you used words like "geekwad" you're telling me that's
not trolling?
You, your uncle Maj - are the epitome of trolls.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 5:40:29 AM
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>>> Keep tellin' 'em.  Microsoft is far from all bad, and they should get
>>> credit where due.  Some of us even prefer their product, and we should
>>> be proud of it!
>> you would do more good if you weren't on their side.
>

> I'm not defending their premature abandonment of XP.  That's pretty
> cold of them.  Then again, it's the name of the game (i.e. commercial
> software) - I got several years out of my $190 XP Pro retail upgrade,
> and now I'll get a few more out of my $135 7 Pro OEM pre-order
> special.  I'm not that poor that I can't pay for software upgrades
> every so often.  I would actually feel bad downloading Linux for free,
> when people work so damn hard on it.  I'd have to find a way of
> donating money (as I have done, in fact, for certain open source
> software for Windows).

I didn't even mention the abandonment of XP why did you bring it up?
The name of the game?  Forced upgrades?  That's a surefire way to
alienate your customers - just like GM.  GM did the same thing, except
they used lousy grade steel so the cars would rust out forcing customers
to buy new cars.  Same shit different asshole.
However you'll be happy to know Windows is still very much in my life.
My parents still use it, and I'm going to upgrade them to Seven from
Vista.  Right now I'm dealing with a file system corruption, one file
after another is being seen as size 0 and undeletable.  The version of
Seven I get will be one of those $50 MSDN off ebay - I'm sure as hell
not paying full price.  I just have to find a seller with over 100
positive feedback comments.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 5:45:28 AM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>>> Trolling is that much of a priority in your life?
>>
>> Ha ha ha, very cute.  I'm not even trolling, by the way.
>
>I stopped reading here.

That's because you suck at debate.

>   Yes, coming into a Mac advocacy newsgrou and bragging about how
>awesome Windows 7 is - that is the definition of trolling.

No, taking it that way is the definition of you being a twat.  You
"advocate" for Mac, and can't even handle the debate?  Grow some
balls.  What you're "advocating" is a CIRCLE JERK with other
MacDweebs.

>The same would be said if I went into a Honda Newsgroup and told
>everyone how awesome my 5.3L Monte Carlo is.
>That is trolling.  If you can't understand that, you really are a n00b -
>or just plain dumb.

It's not my fault that you were born with an extra X chromosome.  What
a joke, trying to twist my words into trolling.  Just 'cause you know
I'm right.  Sad.

>Your first post, you used words like "geekwad" you're telling me that's
>not trolling?
>You, your uncle Maj - are the epitome of trolls.

Oh, please, Mac and Linux people are the very first to use all kinds
of words to insult Windows users.  The fact that I started a thread
with some hot language doesn't change that.  Jesus, you really got
your asses handed to you.  Not a single reply has done anything to
refute me.  Not one, not once.  I guess I was right all along.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:

>>> Ha ha ha, very cute.  I'm not even trolling, by the way.
>> I stopped reading here.
>

> That's because you suck at debate.
>

>>   Yes, coming into a Mac advocacy newsgrou and bragging about how
>> awesome Windows 7 is - that is the definition of trolling.
>

> No, taking it that way is the definition of you being a twat.  You
> "advocate" for Mac, and can't even handle the debate?  Grow some
> balls.  What you're "advocating" is a CIRCLE JERK with other
> MacDweebs.

Would yougo into a sports bar with a bunch of New England Patriots fan
and go on about how awesome the Raiders are?
Again, you used words like "geekwad" as a clear insult and you hence a
troll.
Macdweebs - what does that make you?  a Winfuck?  Good Christ, by your
vocabulary you're not even out of high school.
Like I said, you know absolutely nothing of any use.  You don't know
what its like running a network with 100+ machines.  There's a reason
the 'Doze machines in your high school are locked down.
You need to get a job, kiddo.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 6:12:26 AM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>>> you would do more good if you weren't on their side.
>>
>> I'm not defending their premature abandonment of XP.  That's pretty
>> cold of them.  Then again, it's the name of the game (i.e. commercial
>> software) - I got several years out of my $190 XP Pro retail upgrade,
>> and now I'll get a few more out of my $135 7 Pro OEM pre-order
>> special.  I'm not that poor that I can't pay for software upgrades
>> every so often.  I would actually feel bad downloading Linux for free,
>> when people work so damn hard on it.  I'd have to find a way of
>> donating money (as I have done, in fact, for certain open source
>> software for Windows).
>
>I didn't even mention the abandonment of XP why did you bring it up?

It was something I did criticize MS for in my original post ...

>The name of the game?  Forced upgrades?  That's a surefire way to
>alienate your customers - just like GM.  GM did the same thing, except
>they used lousy grade steel so the cars would rust out forcing customers
>to buy new cars.  Same shit different asshole.

Well, I wouldn't care so much about XP a year from now.  But they
literally didn't give people any time to upgrade to 7, before they got
lazy about patching XP (not regarding anything *critical*, it should
be noted).  In my case, though, it didn't matter much, since I wanted
7.

>However you'll be happy to know Windows is still very much in my life.
>My parents still use it, and I'm going to upgrade them to Seven from
>Vista.  Right now I'm dealing with a file system corruption, one file
>after another is being seen as size 0 and undeletable.  The version of
>Seven I get will be one of those $50 MSDN off ebay - I'm sure as hell
>not paying full price.  I just have to find a seller with over 100
>positive feedback comments.

Well, some people like gambling.  More power to you if it works out.
Frankly, I'd probably feel better about using a leaked VLK and
cracking activation, for free (not that I would *ever* do such a
thing, both out of honesty, and basic security practices).  Individual
Product Keys are what fuck shit up, when they're used on multiple
machines.  I'm quite sure I'll get my $135 (or in current prices $140,
or just $107 for Home Premium) worth out of it.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:

>>> I'm not defending their premature abandonment of XP.  That's pretty
>>> cold of them.  Then again, it's the name of the game (i.e. commercial
>>> software) - I got several years out of my $190 XP Pro retail upgrade,
>>> and now I'll get a few more out of my $135 7 Pro OEM pre-order
>>> special.  I'm not that poor that I can't pay for software upgrades
>>> every so often.  I would actually feel bad downloading Linux for free,
>>> when people work so damn hard on it.  I'd have to find a way of
>>> donating money (as I have done, in fact, for certain open source
>>> software for Windows).
>> I didn't even mention the abandonment of XP why did you bring it up?
>

> It was something I did criticize MS for in my original post ...

I stopped at the first geekwad - nobody took you seriously.
Little word of advice Mr. Suave, don't use words like geekwad, dillhole,
fucknut, when you make a presentation to a potential employer or client.
Just a heads up because apparently you don't seem to understand
something called manners.
The fact you're actually trying to convince me you didn't come here to
troll after that initial post is beyond pathetic.  Drop the issue, you
won't convince me.  You are here to troll, end of story; nobody believes
otherwise.

>> The name of the game?  Forced upgrades?  That's a surefire way to
>> alienate your customers - just like GM.  GM did the same thing, except
>> they used lousy grade steel so the cars would rust out forcing customers
>> to buy new cars.  Same shit different asshole.
>

> Well, I wouldn't care so much about XP a year from now.  But they
> literally didn't give people any time to upgrade to 7, before they got
> lazy about patching XP (not regarding anything *critical*, it should
> be noted).  In my case, though, it didn't matter much, since I wanted
> 7.

Well in your case - that's all that matters.
Nevermind the small businesses that can't afford to Upgrade to Seven
after dumping capital into Vista.
I keep in touch with my first boss - a graphics company did exactly
that.  Upgrading to Seven is not an option for them.  Not without taking
out a loan.
So that will be one more Apple success story in about two years, the
owner already has a new 21" iMac.

>> However you'll be happy to know Windows is still very much in my life.
>> My parents still use it, and I'm going to upgrade them to Seven from
>> Vista.  Right now I'm dealing with a file system corruption, one file
>> after another is being seen as size 0 and undeletable.  The version of
>> Seven I get will be one of those $50 MSDN off ebay - I'm sure as hell
>> not paying full price.  I just have to find a seller with over 100
>> positive feedback comments.
>

> Well, some people like gambling.  More power to you if it works out.
> Frankly, I'd probably feel better about using a leaked VLK and
> cracking activation, for free (not that I would *ever* do such a
> thing, both out of honesty, and basic security practices).  Individual
> Product Keys are what fuck shit up, when they're used on multiple
> machines.  I'm quite sure I'll get my $135 (or in current prices $140,
> or just $107 for Home Premium) worth out of it.

I want Ultimate.  Nothing less.  Windows XP/Vista/Seven *Home* is
Windows Professional/Ultimate with all the good stuff taken out.
I learned that the hard way with XP.
and if I get a bad key, paypal will refund the money.  Simple as that.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 7:31:27 AM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>>> I didn't even mention the abandonment of XP why did you bring it up?
>>
>> It was something I did criticize MS for in my original post ...
>
>I stopped at the first geekwad - nobody took you seriously.
>Little word of advice Mr. Suave, don't use words like geekwad, dillhole,
>fucknut, when you make a presentation to a potential employer or client.
>Just a heads up because apparently you don't seem to understand
>something called manners.

You really are a haughty little bastard, you know that?  What's really
hilarious is that you say the above right after asking why I brought
something up.  Who the fuck told you this was a "presentation" to
anyone important?  This is just Usenet.  We're at most semi-formal.
Get over it.

And while you're at it, stop trying to pretend to be more
sophisticated than me.  I guarantee, you would be awfully surprised,
if you knew the first thing about my life.

>The fact you're actually trying to convince me you didn't come here to
>troll after that initial post is beyond pathetic.  Drop the issue, you
>won't convince me.  You are here to troll, end of story; nobody believes
>otherwise.

Fine, be a delusional twat.  Anyone who says they prefer Windows must
be a trolling, especially if they dare to use equally insulting
language - to that which we Mac and Linux peeps are entitled by
birthright to use in reference to them - toward us.  You sure have
your head twisted around, buddy.

>> Well, I wouldn't care so much about XP a year from now.  But they
>> literally didn't give people any time to upgrade to 7, before they got
>> lazy about patching XP (not regarding anything *critical*, it should
>> be noted).  In my case, though, it didn't matter much, since I wanted
>> 7.
>
>Well in your case - that's all that matters.
>Nevermind the small businesses that can't afford to Upgrade to Seven
>after dumping capital into Vista.

I wouldn't have advised them to do that, to begin with.  If they did,
I can't say I feel that bad for them, though.  Microsoft may not be
"small", but they are a business, and they put an incredible amount of
expense into developing Vista.  It's not like I never *considered*
buying Vista, myself - it's that it made my spidey sense tingle, and I
knew I'd be better off waiting.  If other buyers didn't beware, tough
shit.

>I keep in touch with my first boss - a graphics company did exactly
>that.  Upgrading to Seven is not an option for them.  Not without taking
>out a loan.
>So that will be one more Apple success story in about two years, the
>owner already has a new 21" iMac.

If that benefits them, I'm all for it.  It's not like Apple couldn't
compete, if they really wanted to.  It's that they don't even want to.
They know why Windows is less "reliable" (by this artificial
standard), and they don't choose to imitate it.

>> Well, some people like gambling.  More power to you if it works out.
>> Frankly, I'd probably feel better about using a leaked VLK and
>> cracking activation, for free (not that I would *ever* do such a
>> thing, both out of honesty, and basic security practices).  Individual
>> Product Keys are what fuck shit up, when they're used on multiple
>> machines.  I'm quite sure I'll get my $135 (or in current prices $140,
>> or just $107 for Home Premium) worth out of it.
>
>I want Ultimate.  Nothing less.  Windows XP/Vista/Seven *Home* is
>Windows Professional/Ultimate with all the good stuff taken out.
>I learned that the hard way with XP.
>and if I get a bad key, paypal will refund the money.  Simple as that.

Newegg has the OEM of Ultimate for $175.  I don't see why it's better
than Pro (unless you would actually use the obscure added features),
but I do tend to agree that Home isn't a great investment.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:

>>> I'm not defending their premature abandonment of XP.  That's pretty
>>> cold of them.  Then again, it's the name of the game (i.e. commercial
>>> software) - I got several years out of my $190 XP Pro retail upgrade,
>>> and now I'll get a few more out of my $135 7 Pro OEM pre-order
>>> special.  I'm not that poor that I can't pay for software upgrades
>>> every so often.  I would actually feel bad downloading Linux for free,
>>> when people work so damn hard on it.  I'd have to find a way of
>>> donating money (as I have done, in fact, for certain open source
>>> software for Windows).
>> I didn't even mention the abandonment of XP why did you bring it up?
>

> It was something I did criticize MS for in my original post ...

I stopped at the first geekwad - nobody took you seriously.

>> The name of the game?  Forced upgrades?  That's a surefire way to
>> alienate your customers - just like GM.  GM did the same thing, except
>> they used lousy grade steel so the cars would rust out forcing customers
>> to buy new cars.  Same shit different asshole.
>

> Well, I wouldn't care so much about XP a year from now.  But they
> literally didn't give people any time to upgrade to 7, before they got
> lazy about patching XP (not regarding anything *critical*, it should
> be noted).  In my case, though, it didn't matter much, since I wanted
> 7.

Well in your case - that's all that matters.
Nevermind the small businesses that can't afford to Upgrade to Seven
after dumping capital into Vista.
I keep in touch with my first boss - a graphics company did exactly
that.  Upgrading to Seven is not an option for them.  Not without taking
out a loan.
So that will be one more Apple success story in about two years.

>> However you'll be happy to know Windows is still very much in my life.
>> My parents still use it, and I'm going to upgrade them to Seven from
>> Vista.  Right now I'm dealing with a file system corruption, one file
>> after another is being seen as size 0 and undeletable.  The version of
>> Seven I get will be one of those $50 MSDN off ebay - I'm sure as hell
>> not paying full price.  I just have to find a seller with over 100
>> positive feedback comments.
>

> Well, some people like gambling.  More power to you if it works out.
> Frankly, I'd probably feel better about using a leaked VLK and
> cracking activation, for free (not that I would *ever* do such a
> thing, both out of honesty, and basic security practices).  Individual
> Product Keys are what fuck shit up, when they're used on multiple
> machines.  I'm quite sure I'll get my $135 (or in current prices $140,
> or just $107 for Home Premium) worth out of it.

I want Ultimate.  Nothing less.  Windows XP/Vista/Seven HO
and if I get a bad key, paypal will refund the money.  Simple as that.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 5:23:38 PM
Joel wrote:

>>> It was something I did criticize MS for in my original post ...
>> I stopped at the first geekwad - nobody took you seriously.
>> Little word of advice Mr. Suave, don't use words like geekwad, dillhole,
>> fucknut, when you make a presentation to a potential employer or client.
>> Just a heads up because apparently you don't seem to understand
>> something called manners.
>

> You really are a haughty little bastard, you know that?  What's really
> hilarious is that you say the above right after asking why I brought
> something up.  Who the fuck told you this was a "presentation" to
> anyone important?  This is just Usenet.  We're at most semi-formal.
> Get over it.

I stopped reading here.
semi formal?  Tossing out high school level name calling is not "semi
formal" its downright rude and stupid.
Your intent was to be a troll - you're not fooling anyone.
0
justin53 (598)
11/11/2009 6:37:05 PM
Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

>I stopped reading here.
>semi formal?  Tossing out high school level name calling is not "semi
>formal" its downright rude and stupid.
>Your intent was to be a troll - you're not fooling anyone.

What the fuck do you know about it, anyway?  What makes my life so
obviously inferior (again, you'd be awfully surprised, I assure you)?

I actually rather like you, believe it or not.  Not that you make it
easy, but I see something more in you than you seem to see in
yourself.  Come out of your shell.  There's a whole world out there.

--
Joel Crump
0
Joel wrote:
> Justin <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>> I stopped reading here.
>> semi formal?  Tossing out high school level name calling is not "semi
>> formal" its downright rude and stupid.
>> Your intent was to be a troll - you're not fooling anyone.
>

> What the fuck do you know about it, anyway?  What makes my life so
> obviously inferior (again, you'd be awfully surprised, I assure you)?
>
> I actually rather like you, believe it or not.  Not that you make it
> easy, but I see something more in you than you seem to see in
> yourself.  Come out of your shell.  There's a whole world out there.

Your life is obviously inferior as evidenced by your ridiculous
disposition and the constant need to make yourself feel better while
making others feel awful.  It stems from your own inferiority complex
and lack of self esteem.
It takes alot to surprise me, don't bother.  Usually the people who
think they lived interesting lives, haven't.
I came out of my shell during my undergrad.  Streaking the campus center
and library - those were the days.  We went to the Naked Mile in Ann
Arbor back in '98 and '99.  I think that qualifies as "out of my shell."
But I'm sure your world travels and infinite combinations of work
experience and academics make you out to be the Most Interesting Man in
the world.
Stay thirsty.
0
justin53 (598)

OS/2 User Criticized for not using the "Correct Version" of OS/2!
I was criticized by Tim Martin for not using the newest version of OS/2 ( which I have by the way), but I had the temerity to post from an IBM PS/2 machine with Warp 4 FP 12! I could have posted from another IBM machine with WarpConnect, or even tried OS/2 2.1 with TCPIP 2.0 and NR/2, or my iMac or any other machine I had on hand at the moment. I was called an eCS Luser because I chose to post with my personal choice of OS/2 and not Mr. Martin's. Perhaps my collection of OS/2 should be increased by adding eCS, I know that I could get the upgrade price what with all the ver...

linux
fact is that linux is insecure by design. Linux - I hate it already!!!! Linux kernel vulnerability coughs up superuser rights By Ryan Naraine | October 21, 2010, 7:06am PDT The open-source Linux operating system contains a serious security flaw that can be exploited to gain superuser rights on a target system. The vulnerability, in the Linux implementation of the Reliable Datagram Sockets (RDS) protocol, affects unpatched versions of the Linux kernel, starting from 2.6.30, where the RDS protocol was first included. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/linux-kernel-vulnerability-coughs-up-superuser-rights/7509 "One Shot - One Kill" <fredy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:i9pqba$1cf$1@speranza.aioe.org... > fact is that linux is insecure by design. > > Linux - I hate it already!!!! > > Regarding Linux security, COLA has only *one* answer: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WkZBVhlLNhg/SeXJUCL7KgI/AAAAAAAABSk/xIGSLsEuSwQ/s400/head_up_arse%5B1%5D.2 Loes de Wilde-Dofpoot pulled this Usenet face plant: > "One Shot - One Kill" <fredy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht > news:i9pqba$1cf$1@speranza.aioe.org... >> fact is that linux is insecure by design. >> >> Linux - I hate it already!!!! >> > Regarding Linux security, COLA has only *one* answer: > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WkZBVhlLNhg/SeXJUCL7KgI/AAAAAAAABSk/xIGSLsEuSwQ/s400/head_up_arse%5B1%5D.2 Don't be so fscking stupid. On Thu, 2...

Alt.OS.LINUX post of mine from year 2000 right on the money
I amaze myself. Look at the below post from early 2000. Except for the tiny error in the price of Microsoft (it's closer to $30 than the $300 I predicted), I'm pretty much right on the money for the rest of the post. Indeed, hardware and software go hand in hand, and faster and faster hardware allowed Windows OS to become even better and better. RL Ray Lopez More options Feb 24 2000, 1:00 am Technically you are right, but in fact Windows 2000, once it conquers the server market, will be sold to consumers. Intel's Pentium III and other hardware advances will allow MSFT's a...

Linux: demoted to rightful place as the desktop "Play OS"
Someone relates the truth about Linux: http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201000451 Full post: "96RT10 commented on Jul 11, 2007 12:55:33 PM After using Ubuntu exclusively for a few months, I don't think it's as "ready" as everyone would make you think. I tried to love it, I think it's better than Vista, but it's still not as good as XP, in my opinion. My biggest problem was drivers. Installing a driver in XP takes a few minutes to download, then just run an exe. In Linux, you have a download, then you have to run ten other commands, and it might work - and that's assuming a driver exists for your hw. Modifying the windows registry is nothing compared to tracking down .conf files and changing those! But suppose you do get it running... then the next Kernel build gets installed on your system, all your drivers stop working and you have to take another 45 minutes to re-download and re-compile. I know... for every problem there is a solution, the forums are full of helpful people, but for me the problems just keep coming and it's never fully "right" for very long. Don't get me wrong, I still love Ubuntu, but I think I'm going to have to demote it from "main OS" to "Play OS".... at least for the desktop. A lot of people are missing Linux's strong point - the server." DFS wrote: > Someone relates the truth about Linux: > > > http...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

Chrome OS; any implications for RISC OS users?
The Register reports that Chrome OS may be available soon. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/google_chrome_os_rumor/ It supposedly supports the ARM platform as well as x86. Would this have any implications for RISC OS? (Apart from the obvious attack on Microsoft's dominance.) Would there be the possibility of more Arm hardware that could be used for a RISC OS port? Would there be software (browser plugins presumably) that could be more easily/usefully ported? (If it is intended to be run on similar hardware, rather than hardware ten times as powerful, that must...

Still looking for the right OS
So, after much time and research, I'm still not sure which OS I'll sink my teeth into. Certainly I plan to get into Linux From Scratch eventually. Basically what I want in a system is IceWM and KDE; an installer that handles partitions and will have a boot loader so I can multi-boot OSs; a package manager like Conary that will take care of dependencies for me as well as the ability to compile myself and install from tar.gz. I plan on using Seamonkey for web browsing and email. NVU for web design. Openoffice for word processing. The OS needs to be able to read NTFS but doesn't...

Firefox and RISC OS
This is a long message, and necessarily so as to present an understandable picture, and even given the length I've left out information in order to keep the length down. Please try and read all of it, and all the referenced URLs before replying publicly or privately. As many of you know, I have been working on many ports, or conversions of software from other platforms for the last few years under the guise of the Unix Porting Project and other related work including the GCCSDK project (GCC for RISC OS). If you've been following the project closely - as a subscriber or otherwise - y...

Most Popular End-user OS is Linux
Linus was once asked what he hoped to accomplish with Linux. iirc, his reply was "World domination. Fast." It's 20 years later. How time flies. :) http://www.zdnet.com/2012s-top-five-linux-stories-with-one-big-conclusion-7000009190/ On 12/31/2012 8:16 PM, vallor wrote: > Linus was once asked what he hoped to accomplish with Linux. > iirc, his reply was "World domination. Fast." > > It's 20 years later. How time flies. :) > > http://www.zdnet.com/2012s-top-five-linux-stories-with-one-big-conclusion-7000009190/ The correct title would be "The Most Popular OS Not Chosen By And Unknown To The End User is Linux" DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > On 12/31/2012 8:16 PM, vallor wrote: >> Linus was once asked what he hoped to accomplish with Linux. >> iirc, his reply was "World domination. Fast." >> >> It's 20 years later. How time flies. :) >> >> http://www.zdnet.com/2012s-top-five-linux-stories-with-one-big-conclusion-7000009190/ > > > The correct title would be "The Most Popular OS Not Chosen By And > Unknown To The End User is Linux" > > You do make a good point, though orthogonal to the original article. Maybe this year more folks will learn that Android is a Linux distro. BTW, iOS is based on Darwin is a distro of FreeBSD. Do Apple users know they're using FreeBSD? ;) ...

Eclipse installation under linux
Hi all, I just want to know what where under Linux it is best to install the eclipse environment. I have been looking for installation guides, but to no avail really. Also, could you advise me as to a ownership strategy. Kind regards, Werner werasm wrote: > Hi all, > > I just want to know what where under Linux it is best to install the > eclipse environment. I have been looking for installation guides, but > to no avail really. Also, could you advise me as to a ownership > strategy. > > Kind regards, > > Werner > Werner, ...

Apple controls the OS and the hardware, right?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/02/Apple-releases-iMac-updates-but-lockups-continue_1.html No excuse whatsoever for this...well several come to mind APPLE HAS NO QC CAPABILITY! APPLE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT QUALITY! APPLE IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT! APPLE KNOWS YOU DROIDS WILL BUY ANYTHING THEY MAKE! OS X IS AN UNSTABLE COLLECTION OF 2 BILLION LINES OF SPAGHETTI CODE! On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:28:59 -0700, Tommy wrote (in article <1194056939.610263.58940@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>): > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/02/Apple-releases-iMac-updates-but- lock > ups-continue_1.html > > No excuse whatsoever for this...well several come to mind > > APPLE HAS NO QC CAPABILITY! > > APPLE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT QUALITY! > > APPLE IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT! > > APPLE KNOWS YOU DROIDS WILL BUY ANYTHING THEY MAKE! > > OS X IS AN UNSTABLE COLLECTION OF 2 BILLION LINES OF SPAGHETTI CODE! > See what I mean, Tommy? -- "You've libeled and slandered me so much you can't keep track of it." Edwin Thorne 10/26/07 ...

Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
IT Sstandrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness ,----[ Quote ] | To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the | ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise | contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to | encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal | contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly | before 5th February 2007. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_dis ...

[News] A Look at Element OS and Introduction to Peppermint OS (GNU/Linux)

WinPhone7 is the most stable smartphone OS. Android Linux is the least stable smartphone OS.
"Out of the six modern smartphone operating systems, Android is clearly the least stable of them all. I have seen numerous low memory issues, force close warnings, random resets, freezes on apps and connections, and more. With so many different manufacturers, different versions of the OS out and available, and thousands of apps that are clearly not built well enough to prevent issues Android is clearly in last in the stability department." http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/microsofts-windows-phone-7-is-the-most-stable-mobile-phone-os/6456 Android Linux is bumbleware? Say it ain't so! On 02/02/2012 09:07 PM, DFS wrote: > "Out of the six modern smartphone operating systems, Android is > clearly the least stable of them all. I have seen numerous low > memory issues, force close warnings, random resets, freezes on apps > and connections, and more. With so many different manufacturers, > different versions of the OS out and available, and thousands of > apps that are clearly not built well enough to prevent issues Android > is clearly in last in the stability department." > > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/microsofts-windows-phone-7-is-the-most-stable-mobile-phone-os/6456 > > Android Linux is bumbleware? Say it ain't so! [quote] Fellow Microsoft MVP�s [...] and Matt Miller [/quote] http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2011/01/21/windows-phone-7-a-year-after-launch/ Yup, a really unbiased article (...

[News] Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
Palm OS Clings To Life ,----[ Quote ] | Access, a mobile software company in Japan that acquired PalmSource, | the maker of the Palm OS, plans to introduce in the first half of | this year its Access Linux Platform, which will include an emulation | layer for running Palm OS-based applications. The company this week | announced it's renaming all products that originally had Palm-based | names. The first product to be renamed is Palm OS, which will be | known as Garnet OS. `---- http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?articleId=197000527 -- List of candidate M...

the new computer -os-linux+advocacy in 2008
gwedfw edhklsc jfdh fefgh n http://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g924418-pmem ...

Carry users form SCO OS to LINUX
I have a SCO SystemV Openserver system. I have now setup another server with REd Hat Linux 9.Is there any way to carry the user info from SCO to Linux without having to individually create the users in Linux. regards Venu P.Venugopal wrote: > I have a SCO SystemV Openserver system. I have now setup another > server with REd Hat Linux 9.Is there any way to carry the user info > from SCO to Linux without having to individually create the users in > Linux. Do you mean the users' passwords and account information, or their data directories, or both? Wny not just write a script ...

scientist, Linux user. Should I switch to OS-X ??
My Dell Latitude D505 was just stolen (may they rot in hell) and I need to buy a new laptop very quickly. It was configured as a dual boot XP - Linux box. I've been using Linux for 10 years as my main OS, but I=B4m thinking whether I should switch to OS-X and buy a Powerbook. I'd really appreciate some feedback (I know, not exactly a new topic, but still...). I'm a scientist and in summary my concern is: will the extra money really save me from wasting time tinkering to get Linux to work, and will I be just as productive on OS-X as I am on a *fully functiong* linux box? Below are more details. I do all my work on the laptop. I'm willing to spend up to 2300 USD. Things I do 95% of the time are: - emacs and GNU applications like gnuplot - Latex, Mathematica - C and sometimes Fortran programming - a lot of number crunching - shell scripts and standard Unix utilities (awk, sed, etc) - Powerpoint, Word, etc. Main reasons why I'm thinking to switch to OS X: 1=2E I don=B4t have the time to tinker with Linux any more. Getting it work on the Latitude was a chore and wireless still didn=B4t work. Plus I hate going under the hood of Unix, I=B4m just a user. My knowledge of Unix beyond user level is weak. 2=2E It'd be nice to have wireless, Powerpoint, and everything I need on a single OS without having to turn the machine off. My main concerns about switching: 3=2E OS-X is slow. Or is it? 4=2E I will still use various Linux machines. Is compatibi...

RISC OS User Guide? Also: Finding a listing of mouse and keyboard possibilities in RISC OS
Hi. The Iyonix Welcome Guide makes several references to the RISC OS "User Guide", yet that guide is not included... It doesn't appear to be included in the "C/C++ development suite" fra Castle, either (but that _does_ include the PRMs), does anyone know is the User Guide may be available from anywhere else but ROL (http://www.riscworld.co.uk/ONLINE/PRM/INDEX.HTM)? Since I already _have_ the PRMs (from the mentioned suite), it would be a little expensive to buy the RISC OS PRM CD for _just_ the User Guide... I'm in particular interested in a comprehensive listing...

IBM wants OS/2 users to transition to Linux?
Then why dont they show this support by offering it pre-loaded on their PCs? http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/08/HNmsdominance_1.html > Then why don't they show this support by offering it pre-loaded > on their PCs? > Thanks for the article. Interesting to see "what is going on". AFAIK, IBM does pre-install Linux on *some* of their E-Server and/or NetFinity Server computer systems. (They may have a different brand name by now.), for instance as a choice between a Microsoft product or the Red Hat Linux product. (IBM is(was?) a major name owner/shareholder o...

cursor in command window not in right place (os x)
When I type in the command window, the cursor does not appear to move a full character for each character typed. Particularly if I use the arrow keys to move around. For example, if I type something like: title('Super Number 1 Plot'); and then move the cursor around with the arrow keys, the cursor will start to appear in the middle of, and eventually far to the left of, the character that it should be to the right of. It is really irritating when I am trying to delete chars or type new chars since I cannot tell where I will be deleting/inserting. I thought maybe matlab was not usin...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which ...

Web resources about - The right criticisms for the right OS (and/or its users) - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Criticism of Facebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Facebook has met criticism on a range of issues, including online privacy , child safety , hate speech and the inability to terminate accounts ...

Police commander rejects criticism from Central Coast Labor MP
ABC Online Police commander rejects criticism from Central Coast Labor MP ABC Online But Police Commander Superintendent Danny Sullivan does ...

Romney's criticism of Trump attract cries of hypocrisy, GOP split
Former Republican U.S.presidential nominee, Mitt Romney may have publicly condemned Donald Trump, but for many the speech came across as too ...

LeBron James Responds to Criticism of Workouts with Dwyane Wade - Bleacher Report
LeBron James made a trip to Miami earlier in the week for a workout with former teammate Dwyane Wade during a period of downtime in the Cleveland ...

U.K. press blast Obama for "extraordinary" criticism of Cameron
"Obama savages Cameron," screams the front page of one of Britain's biggest newspapers

Leslie Jones defends her ‘streetwise’ Ghostbuster character after criticism
... going to hate and who cares? If they made a strong film, the best revenge is your paper (as Beyonce would say). But there’s another criticism ...

Ryan refuses to join Romney in Trump criticism
House Speaker Paul Ryan refused to join his former running mate Mitt Romney and other Republicans who warn Donald Trump will destroy their party, ...

School chief to step down after criticism of how district handled alleged player rape
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — School chief to step down after criticism of how district handled alleged player rape.

Miley Cyrus Is Facing Major Criticism After She Posted This Racy Photo…Of ANOTHER Actress
Miley Cyrus Is Facing Major Criticism After She Posted This Racy Photo…Of ANOTHER Actress

Dr Luke hits back at Kelly Clarkson's 'not a good person' criticism
Duo collaborated on hit 'Since U Been Gone'. Dr Luke has responded to Kelly Clarkson's criticisms of him and the previous working relationship ...