The Windows users are coming to Linux! Run!

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

"I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
like on windows. Please help."

hah!
0
Reply DFS 5/16/2010 2:54:01 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:
> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
> like on windows. Please help."
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>

> hah!

LOL

reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"

my comment was

"Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
not be attempting to fix your machine."

Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.

It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.
0
Reply philo 5/16/2010 3:08:32 PM

Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
pounding the sock DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil
Traffic Light Department of Marketing:

> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
> like on windows. Please help."
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>

> hah!

Thats the trouble with windummies. Clicking a few buttons is a lot
slower than simply typing the whole thing into a console window.
The second time you need to compile, just press up arrow and <CR>
instead of clicking a few more buttons.

I have complex commands all automated into
shell scripts running under gambas.
So I only press one button for this kind of stuff.

Under windump OSen, thats gonna cost you $1000+ and a lot
of time clicking licensing buttons and a whole load of
proprietary nonsense before you are anywhere near ready.

Under Linux and Ubuntu, synaptic its just four clicks and 2 minutes.
And I can install this across a dozen machine in under 30 minutes
which would otherwise have cost me $12000+, a lot of management time
getting POs authorized, a week to get the stuff delivered, and
several days to get all the machines operational because each
machine will fight you with some nonsense that requires further tech
support.

In any case the tech support would be worthless and not professional.
No one has micoshaft source code to support windump OSen or its products.
Its all based on ad-libbing nonsense.
You really can't pay for that.

In all give me Linux, I will bash out the brains of windummies with it.

0
Reply 7 5/16/2010 3:25:58 PM

On 5/16/2010 11:08 AM, philo wrote:
> On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:
>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
>> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
>> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
>> like on windows. Please help."
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>

>> hah!
>

> LOL
>
> reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"
>
> my comment was
>
> "Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
> not be attempting to fix your machine."
>
> Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.
>
> It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.

Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher.  Did you try that?

0
Reply DFS 5/16/2010 3:28:49 PM

On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
> On 5/16/2010 11:08 AM, philo wrote:
>> On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:
>>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
>>> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
>>> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
>>> like on windows. Please help."
>>>
>>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>>

>>> hah!
>>

>> LOL
>>
>> reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"
>>
>> my comment was
>>
>> "Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
>> not be attempting to fix your machine."
>>
>> Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.
>>
>> It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.
>

> Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher.  Did you try that?

In the /dishwasher/? Are you serious?

I really can't imagine putting my HHKB in a dishwasher. I just take it
apart a couple times a year to clean it out. I don't think the USB hub
in it can survive a dishwasher.

--
BOFH excuse #182:

endothermal recalibration
0
Reply TomB 5/16/2010 3:55:33 PM

On 05/16/2010 10:28 AM, DFS wrote:
> On 5/16/2010 11:08 AM, philo wrote:
>> On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:
>>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
>>> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
>>> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
>>> like on windows. Please help."
>>>
>>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>>

>>> hah!
>>

>> LOL
>>
>> reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"
>>
>> my comment was
>>
>> "Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
>> not be attempting to fix your machine."
>>
>> Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.
>>
>> It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.
>

> Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher. Did you try that?

I literally have boxes of used keyboards and that piece of junk was tossed.

BTW: What happened was the machine either booted up and froze...

I took it apart to see if all cards were seated properly and all fans
were working. The woman and her boyfriend watched as I spent about an
hour trying everything I could think of. Then I said I'd have to take it
back to the "shop". As soon as I unplugged the keyboard and held it
vertically, a *lot* of soda spilled out!

She glared at her boyfriend (who was a big drunk and she soon threw out)
and asked him if he has spilled one of his drinks into the keyboard the
night before.
At least he gave her an honest answer and said, " I don't recall doing so."

LOL
0
Reply philo 5/16/2010 3:58:51 PM

"7" the fucking loud mouthed fucked pansy arsed fucker of a fuck and horny
ten-peckered billy goat <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote
> Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
> pounding the sock DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil
> Traffic Light Department of Marketing:
>

>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
>> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
>> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
>> like on windows. Please help."
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>

>> hah!
>

> Thats the trouble with *Linux* *loons*

I agree with this poast!

0
Reply Clogwog 5/16/2010 4:48:40 PM

Verily I say unto thee, that philo spake thusly:
> On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:

>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12.
>> Could any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I
>> can't seem to reach that point in which i type my C++ code and
>> click a few buttons like on windows. Please help."
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>
>> hah!
>
> LOL

Only a Windows user would ask to "learn" a new programming language by
clicking buttons. I pray that he goes "learn" elsewhere.

No wonder DFS posted this. It must've been like looking in the mirror.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 18:33:27 up 48 days,  4:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.07
0
Reply Homer 5/18/2010 5:33:42 PM

DFS wrote:

> On 5/16/2010 11:08 AM, philo wrote:
>> On 05/16/2010 09:54 AM, DFS wrote:
>>> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
>>> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
>>> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
>>> like on windows. Please help."
>>>
>>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245194
>>>

>>> hah!
>>

>> LOL
>>
>> reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"
>>
>> my comment was
>>
>> "Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
>> not be attempting to fix your machine."
>>
>> Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.
>>
>> It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.
>

> Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher.  Did you try
> that?

As long as you don't expect it to work afterwards -- sure, you can wash it
in a dishwasher. Heck, put your Windows computer in there as well, to get
rid of Microsoft crud, viruses and all the other rubbish usually found on
Windows computers -- although most users won't notice any difference
afterwards.

Joking apart, I see a dozen or so drenched electronic devices annually, from
cell phones to iPods to audio mixers and power amps, and often the only way
to prevent a total loss is to disassemble it completely as quickly as
possible, clean and dry out all separate parts -- preferably using a
compressor to blow out any water from between crevices and other
inseparable parts, and then assemble again. Sometimes, a hot-air gun can be
useful to heat up the whole shazzam just over the boiling point of water,
but this method can be quite risky if you don't know what you're doing.

Most keyboards have these fragile conductor patterns on foil substrate,
which can dissolve within mere days when wet, or even hours with
electricity connected. The preferred method is to very gently peel apart
the (usually three) layers of foil as far as possible, and dry everything.

So in case of a 'little accident', proceed as follows:
- Immediately disconnect the device from any source of electricity; this
includes removing the battery.
- Find a repair technician ASAP, or (if you're handy) disassemble the device
ASAP. Waiting for even a day or two, three can make the damage irreparable.
- Clean the parts, paying special attention to trapped liquid between layers
of foil or PCB's and chips. Use a compressor and/or a hot-air gun to
blow/boil liquid from between parts you can't separate.
- Assemble and test.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl
0

On May 16, 10:54=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> "I am planning on learning C++ and i am currently using Fedora12. Could
> any of you post a step by step tutorial on how to start? I can't seem to
> reach that point in which i type my C++ code and click a few buttons
> like on windows. Please help."

> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=3D245194

> hah!

This does remind me a bit of those early days when all the AOL users
first "discovered" that they could post e-mail and usenet news via e-
mail.  For quite some time, we were getting inundated with spam,
multilevel marketing "opportunities", chain letters, and offers to
help some nice lady in Nigeria cash a check for dead husband's oil
company.

Many of those early users didn't know any better.

In the same way, most of the new Windows users won't know about bash,
python, ruby, or even how to code PHP pages on Apache.

On the other hand, they will be able to use many of the thousands of
point-and-click applications WRITTEN IN python, java, Ruby, and tcl.
That talk to back-ends they don't even need to know about.

0
Reply Rex 5/18/2010 9:54:52 PM

On 5/18/2010 5:31 PM, Richard Rasker wrote:
> DFS wrote:

>>> LOL
>>>
>>> reminds me of the first computer repair I ever did for a "customer"
>>>
>>> my comment was
>>>
>>> "Sheesh, if I can't figure out how to even open the case, maybe I should
>>> not be attempting to fix your machine."
>>>
>>> Anyway I figured it out and got it fixed.
>>>
>>> It turned out to be soda in the keyboard.
>>

>> Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher.  Did you try
>> that?
>
> As long as you don't expect it to work afterwards -- sure, you can wash it
> in a dishwasher.

Seems like you just need to let it dry for 2+ days.

"After its ordeal in the dishwasher, I let it air dry for a week. Then I
plugged it in and started to type. I tested the space bar, the return
key, all the numbers and letters. It seemed perfect."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793

"after a second full day of outdoor drying, I�m pleased to report that
keyboard is in perfect working order (typing on it now). And it
literally looks like it just came out of the box. Shiny perfect
sparkling white."
http://birdhouse.org/blog/2006/10/23/keyboard-in-the-dishwasher/

> Heck, put your Windows computer in there as well, to get
> rid of Microsoft crud, viruses and all the other rubbish usually found on
> Windows computers -- although most users won't notice any difference
> afterwards.

Replace it with Ubuntu... give yourself a good soaking.

0
Reply DFS 5/18/2010 10:46:32 PM

DFS wrote:

> On 5/18/2010 5:31 PM, Richard Rasker wrote:
>> DFS wrote:

>>> Some keyboards can literally be washed in the dishwasher.  Did you try
>>> that?
>>
>> As long as you don't expect it to work afterwards -- sure, you can wash
>> it in a dishwasher.
>

> Seems like you just need to let it dry for 2+ days.
>
> "After its ordeal in the dishwasher, I let it air dry for a week. Then I
> plugged it in and started to type. I tested the space bar, the return
> key, all the numbers and letters. It seemed perfect."
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793
>

> "after a second full day of outdoor drying, I’m pleased to report that
> keyboard is in perfect working order (typing on it now). And it
> literally looks like it just came out of the box. Shiny perfect
> sparkling white."
> http://birdhouse.org/blog/2006/10/23/keyboard-in-the-dishwasher/

These people have been quite lucky; each year, I have to chuck quite a few
devices because of dissolved conductors, caused by plain water spillage.

Then again, there are indeed cases where just letting things dry up have
been successful -- one guy once asked me to repair a TV he had literally
fished out of the river, set to dry for a week or two and then switched
on -- and it worked fine first go.
My repair was resoldering some bad connections, a year or two later, and I
could indeed see traces of water and algae in the cabinet. Pretty amazing.

But disconnecting the power source greatly reduces the speed at which
conductors get eaten away, so with a bit of luck, any water has evaporated
before terminal damage is done.

>> Heck, put your Windows computer in there as well, to get
>> rid of Microsoft crud, viruses and all the other rubbish usually found on
>> Windows computers -- although most users won't notice any difference
>> afterwards.
>
> Replace it with Ubuntu... give yourself a good soaking.

I couldn't agree more. Switching to Linux sure felt like a wonderfully warm,
clean and pleasantly scented bath after leaving behind the noisome cesspit
called Windows.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Linux comes to Windows users' rescue
<Quote> .... "I know I'm often critical of Linux, but I'm SOOOOO GLAD I installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I installed some patches to Vista and now Vista won't boot, not even in Safe mode. Uggh!" [Quote from technology journalist.] He continued, "So now I've booted the computer up to Ubuntu and can start figuring out what's wrong. Meanwhile, I discovered a great tool called Unison and I've mounted my Windows drive and I am using Unison to back up everything to a 300-gig external hard drive before I start tearing Windows apart... just in case. I guess...

Can I use user-mode-linux to run Windows on a virtual machine?
I refer to an open source project called user-mode-linux. http://user-mode-linux.sourcef=ADorge.net/ My question is can I use this to run a Windows virtual machine on a real linux computer? If no, then what free alternatives are there (I know, I can fork out $500+ for a VMware licence). Nick Bishop ----- email replies ignored ----- I didn't want a job vacuuming floors, but I got suckered into it. -oOo- nick4soup@yahoo.com.au wrote: > I refer to an open source project called user-mode-linux. > My question is can I use this to run a Windows virtual machine on a > real linux co...

[News] Windows Users Come to GNU/Linux, Resistance to Good Change Felt

[News] [Linux] New User Very Impressed with Linux and Linux Gaming (Not So with Windows Vista)
Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS] ,----[ Quote ] | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with | unresolved dependencies. | | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's | completely free and very entertainin...

Linux users, Windows users, and Mac users... Can't we all just get along?
Anyone who opposes an idea is a retard. Anyone who uses a different OS is a retard. If someone has an opinion, he is a retard. If someone points out anything about Microsoft he/she is a retard. If anyone thinks linux is good, he/she is a retard. This more or less sums up the vast majority of posts in this group, with only about 1 in ten messages actually thought out. For those linux users, I like linux myself, but its slightly hypocritical to say that Microsoft kills freedom, and then, whenever someone says anything resembling anti-linux, you murder their opinions with "You're a mor...

Running Linux With A Virtual Machine Running Windows
Hi, I'm planning on getting a new computer in the spring. I was thinking of installing the latest version of Mint or Kubuntu on it, then a virtual machine, then a copy of Windows for odd things like Netflix. I've been seeing a lot of articles indicating that Windows 8 is a turkey. How much longer will I be able to buy Windows 7 or get it from a custom computer shop where I might have my PC built? Will running Windows inside of a virtual machine protect my PC from viruses and spyware that Windows is vulnerable to? Thanks in advance for any information Steve ...

Running Linux With A Virtual Machine Running Windows
Hi, I'm planning on getting a new computer in the spring. I was thinking of installing the latest version of Mint or Kubuntu on it, then a virtual machine, then a copy of Windows for odd things like Netflix. I've been seeing a lot of articles indicating that Windows 8 is a turkey. How much longer will I be able to buy Windows 7 or get it from a custom computer shop where I might have my PC built? Will running Windows inside of a virtual machine protect my PC from viruses and spyware that Windows is vulnerable to? Thanks in advance for any information Steve ...

Linux Users Lose Again... Why Windows Rulez and Linux Drools...
Thinking of using ATT DSL? You had better not be using Linux because they don't support Linux. http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=560 "Most Linux users are serious computer users. We�re geeks, and geeks use a lot of internet. Wouldn�t it be wise of AT&T to just acknowledge us?" Why should they? Linux users are an oddball bunch of less than 1 percent of the desktop populous. "This is not the first time I�ve run into problems with AT&T pretending that the world consists entirely of Windows and Macintosh. Once I was helping someone else get a Linux system going with AT...

Which would have more applications, ARM running Linux, or ARM running Windows ?
Given that as all GPL'd Linux applications are available as source code and Gcc will compile for ARM, I think Linux will have heaps more applications for ARM, as the Linux development tools are all Free! In fact Linux ARM apps have been available for years, all the SDKs are well proven and well established. Sure Microsoft can and probably has ported some version of Windows to ARM, but how many Windows apps creators have the expensive ARM compilers they will need to port *their* apps ? Let alone all the 'freeware' Windows app creators. -- If we wish to reduce our ignorance, th...

"X is a Windows User, so cannot be a Linux User"
See subject. It's an idiotic fallacy, and a strawman. Why is that a fallacy? Because a) This newsfroup isn't "comp.os.linux.desktop.advocacy", and b) A lot of people use Windows on their desktop to manage Linux servers. Personally, I use Linux Mint as a desktop (still transitioning away from Fedora), though I do boot to Win 7 to play Borderlands 2. Does that make me "not a real Linux user?" Of course not. I even have bl2 running in wine. That works, but the performance isn't as good as running a game in the OS that it was written for. Hope...

GNU/Linux Users Contribute Twice As Much As Windows Users !
<http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/gnulinux-users-contribute-twice-as-much-as- windows-users/> So much for being called .. freetards... -- Rick Rick pulled this Usenet boner: > <http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/gnulinux-users-contribute-twice-as-much-as-windows-users/> > > So much for being called .. freetards... Well, the GNU/Linux users tend to have more money left over after making their software purchases. :-D -- You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble. Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > Rick pulled this Usenet boner: > >> <htt...

[News] GNU/Linux Runs Virtually Everything Windows Runs

Blender: runs very well under Windows, runs like crap under Linux
"Ok I did what you said to do. It reinstalled blender and loaded it. The same problems still come up. 1.) Text is all over the place in the app. also text is cut 1/2 and shifted everywhere 2.) Runs Really slow 3.) Button's Icons are missing. Now I know I have a sucky video card. I am not blaming blender. I do think that its strange this same computer runs blender very well under windows. I have done freelace work under the windows side with blender. Linux.. ehh.. have had some hard times getting to do much of anything other this surfing the web." http://forums.fedorafor...

[News] [Linux] Running Ubuntu Linux from Windows, Using Wubi
Take Ubuntu for a non-invasive test drive with Wubi ,----[ Quote ] | Windows only: Wubi is a Windows-based Ubuntu Linux installer that | lets you run the OS on your Windows XP box--no partitions, | bootloaders or Live CDs required. `---- http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/take-ubuntu-for-a-non+invasive-test-drive-with-wubi-258936.php http://tinyurl.com/294xxd Also of interest: Linux is not Windows Lite ,----[ Quote ] | Unfortunately, as I've said elsewhere, linux is not Windows and | efforts to make it so are doomed to fail. Nobody gets to be a | leader by follow...

[News] [Linux] Fastest Chip is Going to Run Linux (No Windows)
IBM Chip Claims To Crush Itanium to Bits ,----[ Quote ] | The p 570 can run SUSE Linux 10 SP1 or later and sometime in Q3 Red Hat | 4.5 or later as well as AIX 5.2 or later. | | The chip itself, which also itself comes in 3.5GHz and 4.2GHz versions, | is supposed to be the first MPU that can calculate decimal | floating-point arithmetic in hardware, a task generally done | by software. `---- http://virtualization.sys-con.com/read/382634_p.htm Roy Schestowitz wrote: > IBM Chip Claims To Crush Itanium to Bits > > ,----[ Quote ] > | The p 570 can run SUSE Linux 10 SP1 or late...