What I like about Linux

1) It works, I know I can sit at my computer and do what
   need to be done without any hassles or crashes.

2) Its secure, No email virus, no spyware, no trogans. and I
   can acess online banking from both he banks I have
	accounts with knowing that my web browser doesn't bad
	security history

3) Its customizable, you can choose to go with the ``usual''
   PC look with a window manaer like KDE of you can go for
	something completely personalizable like Fvwm which lets
	you dictate pretty much everything about how a window
	looks, I for instance have, as well as the usual buttons
	on a window, four extra buttons on only the active
	window which control my CD player and my MP3 player.

4) Its free. I don't have to pay for upgrades to support new
   hardware or to cover security holes.

--
|  Joel Mayes     |
|  Accordionist   |

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3BE45.61FDA6E0

"Joel Mayes" <scrinb@news.easynews.com.au> wrote in message =
> 1) It works, I know I can sit at my computer and do what
>    need to be done without any hassles or crashes.
>=20
> 2) Its secure, No email virus, no spyware, no trogans. and I
>    can acess online banking from both he banks I have
> accounts with knowing that my web browser doesn't bad
> security history
>=20
> 3) Its customizable, you can choose to go with the ``usual''
>    PC look with a window manaer like KDE of you can go for
> something completely personalizable like Fvwm which lets
> you dictate pretty much everything about how a window
> looks, I for instance have, as well as the usual buttons
> on a window, four extra buttons on only the active
> window which control my CD player and my MP3 player.
>=20
> 4) Its free. I don't have to pay for upgrades to support new
>    hardware or to cover security holes.

idiot ... free? check out redhat linux (the only semi-decent linux out =
there) and see the prices, they are as high as windows if not higher, =
yet linux is not as technically advanced and supported as windows is ... =
to that, add the cost of the sco linux license and you end up with a =
very expensive, uncapable and unpopular system from the 1970s.

cretin ... upgrades to cover security holes? redhat linux sends one of =
those panic emails every day ... don't try to cover the sun with one =
finger, we all know linux has more bugs than a tropical island.

windows is used by 97% of the computer users, linux is used by 0.1%, =
would you be smart enough to guess why?  i doubt it, imbecil.

cola_moderator

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3BE45.61FDA6E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Joel Mayes" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:scrinb@news.easynews.com.au"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>scrinb@news.easynews.com.au</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; wrote=20
in message </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:slrnbtbf8o.tgh.scrinb@bluebird.zenith"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:slrnbtbf8o.tgh.scrinb@bluebird.zenith</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; 1) It works, I know I can sit at =
my computer=20
and do what<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp; need to be done without any hassles or=20
crashes.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 2) Its secure, No email virus, no spyware, no =
trogans.=20
and I<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp; can acess online banking from both he banks I =

have<BR>&gt; accounts with knowing that my web browser doesn't =
bad<BR>&gt;=20
security history<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 3) Its customizable, you can choose to =
go with=20
the ``usual''<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp; PC look with a window manaer like KDE =
of you=20
can go for<BR>&gt; something completely personalizable like Fvwm which=20
lets<BR>&gt; you dictate pretty much everything about how a =
window<BR>&gt;=20
looks, I for instance have, as well as the usual buttons<BR>&gt; on a =
window,=20
four extra buttons on only the active<BR>&gt; window which control my CD =
player=20
and my MP3 player.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 4) Its free. I don't have to pay for =

upgrades to support new<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp; hardware or to cover =
security=20
holes.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>idiot ... free? check out&nbsp;redhat =
linux (the=20
only semi-decent linux out there) and see the prices, they are as high =
as=20
windows if not higher, yet linux is not as technically advanced and =
supported as=20
windows is ... to that, add the cost of the sco linux license and you =
end up=20
with a very expensive, uncapable&nbsp;and unpopular system from the=20
1970s.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cretin ... upgrades to cover security=20
holes?&nbsp;redhat linux sends one of those panic emails every day ... =
don't try=20
to cover the sun with one finger, we all know linux has more bugs than a =

tropical island.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>windows is used by 97% of the computer =
users, linux=20
is used by 0.1%, would you be smart enough to guess why?&nbsp; i doubt =
it,=20
</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>imbecil.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cola_moderator</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3BE45.61FDA6E0--

cola masturbator wrote:

< snip idiots rant >

Idiot. Just /try/ to get your /facts/ right
--
Only two things are infinite,
 the Universe and Stupidity.
> cola masturbator wrote:
>
>< snip idiots rant >

<snip>

ROFL. I tought for a moment that this was response to Joel's post,
and wondered why you said that. Then I realized it probably wasn't
the parent post...

-Ilari
--
Of course MS is to be blame. -- Erik Funkenbusch
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.23 #2 Tue Dec 2 18:18:17 EET 2003 i686 unknown
cola_moderator wrote:

> idiot ...
> cretin ...
> windows is used by 97% of the computer users,
> imbecil.
>
> cola_moderator

97% of the computer users NEVER had a choice of operating systems.
Got that mr. idiot cretin imbecil cola_moderator?

--

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) +
0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated.

cola_moderator wrote:
> "Joel Mayes" <scrinb@news.easynews.com.au
> <mailto:scrinb@news.easynews.com.au>> wrote in message
>  > 1) It works, I know I can sit at my computer and do what
>  >    need to be done without any hassles or crashes.
>  >
>  > 2) Its secure, No email virus, no spyware, no trogans. and I
>  >    can acess online banking from both he banks I have
>  > accounts with knowing that my web browser doesn't bad
>  > security history
>  >
>  > 3) Its customizable, you can choose to go with the ``usual''
>  >    PC look with a window manaer like KDE of you can go for
>  > something completely personalizable like Fvwm which lets
>  > you dictate pretty much everything about how a window
>  > looks, I for instance have, as well as the usual buttons
>  > on a window, four extra buttons on only the active
>  > window which control my CD player and my MP3 player.
>  >
>  > 4) Its free. I don't have to pay for upgrades to support new
>  >    hardware or to cover security holes.
> idiot ... free? check out redhat linux (the only semi-decent linux out
> there) and see the prices, they are as high as windows if not higher,
> yet linux is not as technically advanced and supported as windows is ...
> to that, add the cost of the sco linux license and you end up with a
> very expensive, uncapable and unpopular system from the 1970s.
>
> cretin ... upgrades to cover security holes? redhat linux sends one of
> those panic emails every day ... don't try to cover the sun with one
> finger, we all know linux has more bugs than a tropical island.
>
> windows is used by 97% of the computer users, linux is used by 0.1%,
> would you be smart enough to guess why?  i doubt it, imbecil.
>
> cola_moderator

i love how you just pull statistics out of thin air,
none of your posts have any real facts, not only that but your
'statistics' keep changing but still are never any less wrong

and how dare you call him a cretin you douche-fucking troll-tard

bob

--
IRC: penguino.ath.cx #darklight
http://penguino.ath.cx/

0
bobertlo (6)
12/10/2003 12:18:38 AM

> idiot ... free? check out redhat linux (the only semi-decent linux out
> there) and see the prices, they are as high as windows if not higher, yet

It is wise, when presenting an argument, to research it, and discover the
truth. In this situation, you would have discovered that The majority, if
not all linux distros are FREE. They are freelly availible via ftp or https
sites. try ftp.redhat.com

> linux is not as technically advanced and supported as windows is ... to

Prove it! MY 1 ghz will nock the socks off your winbloze bench mark.

> that, add the cost of the sco linux license and you end up with a very
> expensive, uncapable and unpopular system from the 1970s.

ROFLMAO, SCO is getting the asses handed to them on a platter! IBM is
trouncing them, thay have no change, and there will not be a SCO
licsense!!!

> cretin ... upgrades to cover security holes? redhat linux sends one of
> those panic emails every day ... don't try to cover the sun with one
> finger, we all know linux has more bugs than a tropical island.

hehe, ever enable MS update? :s

> windows is used by 97% of the computer users, linux is used by 0.1%, would

Wow!  i didn't know that 97% of computer uses were that dumb!

> you be smart enough to guess why?  i doubt it, imbecil.
>
> cola_moderator

Dumb Wintrolle go defrag your /dev/hda1!

0
prtsoft (6)
12/10/2003 2:56:21 AM
In article <SoCdnVVwB_QcaUiiRVn-gQ@dsli.com>, cola_moderator wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3BE45.61FDA6E0

You call me a cretin yet insist on posting multipart/HTML
messages?

> "Joel Mayes" <scrinb@news.easynews.com.au> wrote in message =
>> 1) It works, I know I can sit at my computer and do what
>>    need to be done without any hassles or crashes.
>>=20
>> 2) Its secure, No email virus, no spyware, no trogans. and I
>>    can access on line banking from both he banks I have
>> accounts with knowing that my web browser doesn't bad
>> security history
>>=20
>> 3) Its customizable, you can choose to go with the ``usual''
>>    PC look with a window manaer like KDE of you can go for
>> something completely personalizable like Fvwm which lets
>> you dictate pretty much everything about how a window
>> looks, I for instance have, as well as the usual buttons
>> on a window, four extra buttons on only the active
>> window which control my CD player and my MP3 player.
>>=20
>> 4) Its free. I don't have to pay for upgrades to support new
>>    hardware or to cover security holes.
>
> idiot ... free? check out redhat linux (the only semi-decent linux out =
> there) and see the prices, they are as high as windows if not higher, =

Really? then why can a download Red hat for free from any
conveniently placed Red hat ftp mirror service, like
<ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com.au/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-9/en/iso/i386>
for example, or purchase it from
<http://www.everythinglinux.com> for $40

> yet linux is not as technically advanced and supported as windows is ... =
> to that, add the cost of the sco linux license and you end up with a =
> very expensive, uncapable and unpopular system from the 1970s.

<http://mobile.linux.com/mobile/03/12/05/1815258.shtml?tid=33&tid=78>

Then why has IEEE chosen to replace their Microsoft provided
wireless network with a Linux based wireless network, even
though Microsoft was providing their network free of charge?

<QUOTE from the above URL>

At first glance this might look like a "press release turned
into a story" article since it started with an announcement
by I.D.E.A.L.  Technology of Orlando, Florida.  But how and
why I.D.E.A.L. vice presidents Anthony Awtrey and Jordan
Jacobs brought in a contract to provide wireless (and wired)
networking services to the IEEE Project 802 Standards
Committee and Wireless Working Groups should serve as a
lesson to Linux solution providers all over the world --
especially in light of the fact that IEEE  -- the Institute
of Electrical and Electronic Engineers -- was getting free
Microsoft-based wireless (and wired) networking products,
but decided it was better to pay for Linux-based networking
because it worked better.

<\QUOTE>

Because it worked better. and this is coming from the body
of people responsible for determining networking standards

> cretin ... upgrades to cover security holes? red hat linux sends one of =
> those panic emails every day ... don't try to cover the sun with one =
> finger, we all know linux has more bugs than a tropical island.

I'd rather get regular security warning from my OS provider,
even though in the case you are stating 99% of the warning
would be for software I don't have installed on my computer

This is much better then Microsoft declaring know security
problems, with working exploits are not really security
issues because they require ``user input'' (like pressing
the <Back> button on IE) to active, and yes I know that
problem has been patched but that does not change Microsoft's
negligent attitude towards the security of it software.

> windows is used by 97% of the computer users, linux is used by 0.1%, =

Care to show the figures you got used to get those
statistics? I doubt it

> would you be smart enough to guess why?  i doubt it, imbecil.

Well, I think your statistics are false but I'd guess the
reason why more people use Microsoft Windows(TM) rather than
Linux is because Microsoft are an abusive monopoly which
make it near impossible for the average computer store to
provide an alternative OS, look at what Microsoft did to
computer stores that sold BeOS

<http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/199911/msg00054.html>

<QUOTE>

> Microsoft's licensing, they used it as a club to prevent
> potentially errant PC makers from making BeOS visible to
> their customers. It "works" like this: You can use
> Microsoft's boot manager to load any number of OSes, as
> long as they're made by Microsoft. If you (the PC OEM,
> Windows licensee) use a non-Microsoft boot loader, you
> cannot use it to load Windows. If you do, you're in
> violation of the license and you could lose it -- and your
> business.
>
> That's how Microsoft prevented Hitachi from visibly
> offering Windows and BeOS at boot time. BeOS was loaded on
> the hard disk, but the customer didn't see the choice at
> boot time.  You'd have to read complicated instructions to
> set up a dual-boot situation yourself. A neat legal trick
> that effectively prevents PC OEMs from offering a genuine
> dual-boot situation featuring both Windows and BeOS.

<QUOTE>

When dirty tricks like that are used how can a newcomer
compete against the old dog, you are not even given a chance

> cola_moderator

COLA is an unmoderated news group.

--
|  Joel Mayes     |    Come and see me play!
|  Accordionist   |    2traverse
|  Musician       |    Sept 25 - Oct 12 @ the Store Room
|  Music Teacher  |    cos` co tworzy jakby mapy na mojej sko`rze
0
scrinb (34)

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with this command, it never returns. The same php-script *does* work on linux! Any clues? Greetings Neven ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

Why I Will Most Likely Never Switch to Linux. Aside from the fact Linux Sucks.
Let's be honest, compared to the offerings of OSX and Windows, Linux sucks = badly. But that's not the reason why it's highly unlikely I will ever use L= inux. The real reason is the Linux user base. I'm not certain of the reason= s why, but it's quite clear that Linux does seem to attract the most unruly= , ignorant, brainwashed users. Spend 10 minutes in just about any Linux use= r blog (2 minutes for COLA) and it's obvious that many of these Linux users= are suffering from some kind of mental affliction. These Linux users are t= ruly miserable, nasty, pompous...

Web resources about - What I like about Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Trump Campaign Manager Charged for Alleged Battery of Reporter, in Police Custody
Corey Lewandowski, seen on video manhandling a Breitbart reporter at a Donald Trump campaign events, is now facing battery charges over the altercation. ...

Nintendo's social network Miitomo launches in the U.S. on March 31
Nintendo's social network, Miitomo, launches in the U.S. and Europe on Thursday. Miitomo allows users to create or import their own Mii avatar, ...

EgyptAir hijacker took over plane because he 'seems to be in love'
The man who hijacked an EgyptAir flight on Tuesday, terrifying the more than 50 people on board as he forced the plane to divert from its path ...

Is Oculus Rift the new Google Glass?
With the release of the Oculus Rift headset and additional systems on the way from Sony, Samsung, HTC, and many others, the virtual reality hype ...

California's $15/hour Wage Could Help Workers, Cost Jobs
ABC News California's $15/hour Wage Could Help Workers, Cost Jobs ABC News A political deal to raise California's minimum wage to a nation-leading ...

Idina Menzel Sings National Anthem at White House Easter Egg Roll
Barack and Michelle Obama keep their hands over their hearts as Idina Menzel sings the National Anthem during the annual White House Easter Egg ...

Alaska Volcano Calming After Eruption; Alert Downgraded
The activity level of an Alaska volcano has declined after it erupted with a massive ash cloud that prompted the cancellation of dozens of flights ...

Roundup: Jessica Lowndes is Not Engaged to Jon Lovitz; Comedian Destroys Heckler
Alexis Ren … reporter arrested for attempting to obtain public records , trying to do his job … no, Jon Lovitz is not dating Jessica Lowndes ...

The Galaxy S7 suffers from a very annoying Wi-Fi bug
Multiple reports indicate that Samsung’s best phone yet is experiencing some troubling Wi-Fi issues. It’s not clear how widespread the matter ...