What if Apple made OSX for other computers too?

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

-- 
BOFH excuse #46:

waste water tank overflowed onto computer
0
Reply tommy.bongaerts (5594) 5/14/2010 10:03:15 PM

See related articles to this posting


TomB wrote:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
> 

Well, thanks, but no thanks.
My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for a 
split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting

-- 
I doubt, therefore I might be.

0
Reply Peter 5/14/2010 10:10:16 PM

TomB stated in post 20100515000246.26@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/14/10 3:03 PM:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Cute.  At the risk over overanalyzing humor, here is some anti-Apple humor
that at least ties into *real* BS Apple has done (continues to do?)... much
better than a lot of the other Apple "humor" which is based on, well,
nothing but someone wanting to make an insult.

Got me to chuckle. 


-- 
[INSERT .SIG HERE]


0
Reply Snit 5/14/2010 10:18:08 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:03:15 +0000, TomB wrote:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

OSX is for elitist snobs.

Linux is for real elitist snobs.

So, if Apple made OSX for other computers, I'd still have to go with Linux. 

And if Linux ever replaces Windows, I'll be forced to move to OpenBSD.

0
Reply hotfoot 5/14/2010 10:18:41 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:18:41 -0500, hotfoot wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:03:15 +0000, TomB wrote:
> 
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
> 
> OSX is for elitist snobs.
> 
> Linux is for real elitist snobs.
> 
> So, if Apple made OSX for other computers, I'd still have to go with Linux. 
> 
> And if Linux ever replaces Windows, I'll be forced to move to OpenBSD.

Hello Roy Culley !
0
Reply Moshe 5/14/2010 10:27:19 PM

Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
crayons, but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.

-- 
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 02:33:38 up 44 days, 12:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.17
0
Reply Homer 5/15/2010 1:33:57 AM

In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
> 
> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
> crayons,

Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and 
slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.

But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it 
for 25 years, after all.

> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.

-- 
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
Reply ZnU 5/16/2010 7:54:21 PM

ZnU wrote:
> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
> wrote:
> 
>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
>> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
>> crayons,
> 
> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and 
> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
> 
> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it 
> for 25 years, after all.
> 
>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
> 

This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its 
not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother 
with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and 
the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple 
are very happy too.

OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great 
idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes 
for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

-- 
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
Catch me in #boycottnovell on freenode.net
0
Reply Goblin 5/16/2010 8:08:49 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:08:49 +0100, Goblin wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
>> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
>>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
>>> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
>>> crayons,
>> 
>> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and 
>> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
>> 
>> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it 
>> for 25 years, after all.
>> 
>>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
>> 
> 
> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its 
> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother 
> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and 
> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple 
> are very happy too.

I've had similar experiences with Apple and have seen the same
thing happen with people who left Windows for Apple.
Not a single one that I recall has ever gone back and they are
very happy.

Had Windows 7 not been as good as it is for DAW work, my next
system would have been an Apple because Vista was a disaster for
most people and DAW work and XP was getting long due for
replacement.


> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great 
> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes 
> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

They will never do it because part of the reason Apple computers
work so well is that the hardware is tightly controlled and
monitored, unlike the PC world.

Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like
the PC world and Windows where things work but certain
combinations of hardware work better than others.

TI Firewire chips and control surfaces or audio interfaces for an
example.
Don't use a TI chipset and you are looking for trouble.
0
Reply Moshe 5/16/2010 10:01:03 PM

Moshe wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:08:49 +0100, Goblin wrote:
> 
>> ZnU wrote:
>>> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
>>>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>>> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
>>>> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
>>>> crayons,
>>> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and 
>>> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
>>>
>>> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it 
>>> for 25 years, after all.
>>>
>>>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
>> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
>> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its 
>> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother 
>> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and 
>> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple 
>> are very happy too.
> 
> I've had similar experiences with Apple and have seen the same
> thing happen with people who left Windows for Apple.
> Not a single one that I recall has ever gone back and they are
> very happy.
> 
> Had Windows 7 not been as good as it is for DAW work, my next
> system would have been an Apple because Vista was a disaster for
> most people and DAW work and XP was getting long due for
> replacement.
> 
> 
>> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great 
>> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes 
>> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.
> 
> They will never do it because part of the reason Apple computers
> work so well is that the hardware is tightly controlled and
> monitored, unlike the PC world.
> 
> Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like
> the PC world and Windows where things work but certain
> combinations of hardware work better than others.
> 
> TI Firewire chips and control surfaces or audio interfaces for an
> example.
> Don't use a TI chipset and you are looking for trouble.

Well theres a first for everything.  A post which Moshe has agreed with?

I cannot go into much detail with Macs, because I just haven't had the 
experience with them.

When Moshe says:

"Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like the PC 
world and Windows where things work but certain combinations of hardware 
work better than others."

I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a 
decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.



-- 
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
Catch me in #boycottnovell on freenode.net
0
Reply Goblin 5/16/2010 10:23:16 PM

On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>
> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a 
> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.

I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

-- 
BOFH excuse #399:

We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
0
Reply TomB 5/16/2010 10:40:10 PM

TomB wrote:
> On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a 
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
> 
> I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)
> 
True, come to think of it so did I....coincidently enough Im going 
through a retro revival of sorts at the moment by booting Devpac2 with 
UAE and getting back into 68k asm......and my copperbar routinue has 
already caused one!

-- 
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
Catch me in #boycottnovell on freenode.net
0
Reply Goblin 5/16/2010 10:51:36 PM

On 2010-05-16, TomB <tommy.bongaerts@gmail.com> claimed:
> On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>>
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a 
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
>
> I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

And my wife has had her problems with OS X (guess who gets to keep it
running). Sinister Jr gave up on his Mac because he was bored with it.
I have one machine running myself. But I don't use it for anything
important. I check to see if things are likely to screw up when I put
them Mrs. Midget's machine since I don't have anything I need to keep
on there.

But Mac doesn't have anything as nice as the Guru.

-- 
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Aspire One, Linux Mint 8 (LXDE)
Friends don't let friends use Windows
0
Reply Sinister 5/16/2010 11:43:02 PM

Verily I say unto thee, that Goblin spake thusly:
>> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
>> wrote:

>>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like
>>> Apple.
> 
> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.

'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.

How 'bout now?

-- 
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 02:40:42 up 46 days, 12:31,  2 users,  load average: 3.94, 3.49, 3.35
0
Reply Homer 5/17/2010 1:41:09 AM

In article <ghYHn.72691$3w4.64757@newsfe14.ams2>,
 Goblin <bytes4free@googlemail.com> wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
> > In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
> > wrote:
> > 
> >> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> >>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
> >> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
> >> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
> >> crayons,
> > 
> > Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and 
> > slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
> > 
> > But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it 
> > for 25 years, after all.
> > 
> >> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
> > 
> 
> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its 
> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother 
> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and 
> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple 
> are very happy too.
> 
> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great 
> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes 
> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

Well, the notion of OS X as an independent product doesn't really make a 
ton of sense. The reason most people who say they want this actually 
want it is that they want computers that Apple does make (netbook, 
mid-range tower, whatever). If Apple wanted OS X to play in those 
markets, it would be much easier for them to simply make computers in 
those markets themselves than to support the vast array of random stuff 
out there in the wider x86 world.

It's not like adding a few models would be especially hard; these days 
all this stuff is made by the same Chinese/Taiwanese outsourcing 
companies Apple already works with anyway.

-- 
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
Reply ZnU 5/17/2010 2:35:22 AM

On May 14, 6:03=A0pm, TomB <tommy.bongae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Apple would encounter the same problems that others who have attempted
to create Linux and UNIX for PCs have encountered.

Keep in mind that SCO, Interactive Unix, AT&T, IBM, Novell, and Sun
have all attempted creating Intel versions of UNIX, but each time, the
were unable to keep up with the hundreds of permutations of devices
and all of the drivers and driver variations.  Linux is one of the few
competitors who has consistently been able to keep pace with all of
the innovations that go on with the PC year after year for almost 18
years.  There is some lag time, but Linux drivers are typically
available within 3-6 months after any new chip-set comes out.

3-Com was one of the first major vendors to publicly support Linux and
found immediately that it substantially boosted their revenues and
market share. Over the years, many others vendors have been official
supporters of Linux.  Many vendors now offer official "binary-only"
drivers for Linux - many of which are actually developed for Linux
BEFORE they are developed for Windows, and released AFTER the Windows
version is released.

Many PC makers make sure that their top-of-the-line Laptops and
Desktops are "Linux-Ready" sporting hardware that supports both
Windows and Linux.  And when they release high-end machines that don't
support Linux, they often find that the prices of these "Linux
hostile" machines tends to drop very quickly.

0
Reply Rex 5/17/2010 4:34:31 AM

In article <qej6c7-pgt.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Goblin spake thusly:
> >> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
> >> wrote:
> 
> >>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like
> >>> Apple.
> > 
> > This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
> > personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.
> 
> 'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
> Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.
> 
> How 'bout now?

It seems extremely unlikely that Jobs is doing much more than passing 
along information to explain Apple's decision with respect to H.264 vs. 
Theora. Apple owns exactly *one* patent related to H.264 out of 
literally thousands:

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/avc-att1.pdf

The idea that they'd actively instigate patent litigation against Theora 
doesn't make any sense; they'd have nearly nothing to gain. Contrary to 
what some in this group seem to believe, Steve Jobs is not actually a 
mustache-twirling evildoer who hates Linux users for their freedom.

-- 
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
Reply ZnU 5/17/2010 7:09:08 AM

TomB wrote:

>On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>>
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a 
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
>
>I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

If you programmed, you got guru'ed.    8)

0
Reply chrisv 5/17/2010 1:03:08 PM

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message 
news:uif2v5p2c8s0rpc81na3pb26pg5et6tfod@4ax.com...

chrisv is a liar. chrisv is a piece of shit. 


0
Reply One 5/17/2010 1:07:53 PM

On 2010-05-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>
> TomB wrote:
>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>> 
>
> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for a 
> split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting

    Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.

    Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate you.

-- 
	OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop.      |||
				                               / | \   
0
Reply JEDIDIAH 5/17/2010 3:52:17 PM

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2010-05-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>>
>> TomB wrote:
>>
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>> 
>>
>> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
>> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for
>> a split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting
> 
>     Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.

What for? There is nothing apple specific I would care for

>     Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate
>     you.
> 

Exactly
-- 
The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
        Support your right to bare arms!

0
Reply Peter 5/17/2010 4:53:22 PM

On 2010-05-17, the following emerged from the brain of Peter Köhlmann:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> On 2010-05-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> TomB wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>>> 
>>>
>>> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
>>> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for
>>> a split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting
>> 
>>     Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.
>
> What for? There is nothing apple specific I would care for
>
>>     Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate
>>     you.
>> 
>
> Exactly

Same thing here. I have OSX and several Window versions running under
virtualization, but I only use them for learning. All my day to day
work is done on my Debian box. 

-- 
BOFH excuse #123:

user to computer ratio too high.
0
Reply TomB 5/17/2010 5:12:10 PM

In article <qej6c7-pgt.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Goblin spake thusly:
> >> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org> 
> >> wrote:
> 
> >>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like
> >>> Apple.
> > 
> > This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I 
> > personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.
> 
> 'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
> Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.
> 
> How 'bout now?

So Steve Jobs is aware of a patent pool targeting Theora. Do you have 
any particular reason to believe Apple is part of that patent pool? 
Apple isn't a big player in codec patents--they've only got one patent 
in the H.264 pool, for instance.

There are many ways they would become aware of a pool that they aren't a 
part of.

For instance, there are companies that run patent auctions. I've seen 
the catalog from such an auction. It was about 100 pages long, with 
patents from many fields, nicely broken down by category. For each 
listed patent, the seller included a list of potential infringers.

I'd be surprised if Apple (or IBM, or Microsoft, or any other large 
company) did not look through these catalogs. So they see some codec 
patents go to auction that are listed as potentially covering Theora.
Then later they are approached by someone trying to see if Apple is 
interested in licensing Theora patents, and that entity is offering a 
diverse group of patents from different inventors--patents that Apple 
saw go up for auction previously. It's then pretty easy to figure out 
that someone is buying potential Theora patents to put together a pool 
and go after licensing money.

-- 
--Tim Smith
0
Reply Tim 5/18/2010 12:59:36 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 118259 articles. 12 followers. Post

22 Replies
115 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Apple Computer, Inc made mistake to do SHR?
Super High Resolution on Apple IIgs is supposed to have 256 colors on 320x200 resolution for any games. Only 16 colors can be used each horizontal line on any games. Do you have idea why Apple Computer, Inc decided to design and limit 16 colors? I wonder Apple IIgs do have enough memory to hold 256 possible colors each pixel instead of each horizontal line. Please advise. Immortal Nephi <Immortal_Nephi@hotmail.com> wrote: > Super High Resolution on Apple IIgs is supposed to have 256 colors on > 320x200 resolution for any games. Only 16 colors can be used each > horizontal...

Apple Computer has made the world a better place
Mark Morford Friday, November 17, 2006 Apple is now deep, deep, deep in the public consciousness, deeper than it's ever been, what with tens of millions of iPods doing more to help the coolest tech brand in the world slip effortlessly inside every cultural nook and cranny and luggage compartment and automobile and airline and Christmas wish list than anyone ever thought possible. And the new MacBook line (along with, to a lesser degree, the charming iMacs) has only served as an incontrovertible anchor, serious proof that the iPod is no fluke and that there is real thought and muscle...

Vintage Apple I computer with carring/strorage case Vintage Apple II computer with monitor.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/for/2268881983.html This is what is listed. If there is an Apple I in this sale, then somebody should be there to get it! Wheel Chair & Misc Vintage Items (1903 Ridge Grove Rd, Knoxville) Date: 2011-03-16, 2:12PM EDT Reply to: sale-cch52-2268881983@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] (1) Good Used Wheel Chair and other misc aids for mobility limited individuals Hand gardening tools, rakes, hand tiller, hoe, shovel, post hole digger (1) Craftsman Roll Around Tool Box with assorted tools Misc. Vintage electronic test equipment and ...

Apple Computer now Apple Inc.
It only makes sense. Apple is more than just computers. They are a digital lifestyle company. On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:30:33 -0500, iMojo <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> wrote: >It only makes sense. Apple is more than just computers. They are a >digital lifestyle company. In fact, computers are now south of 40% of Apple, and falling fast. It's obvious where the attention and resources are going, and it's not OS X or the computer line. Tom Elam "tom_elam@earthlink.net" <tom_elam@earthlink.net> stated in post pbr7q2hu9bg24nh9vulabfmanpn58ttbjg@4ax.com on ...

My OSX-Computer cannot connect to a 8.6-Computer
Since a week ago i can no longer connect to my wife's computer. I have OS X.2.8, she has OS 8.6. The two computers are connected over ethernet. Before i used command-k (at least thats the way you do it on a german mac) to connect, i wrote my password and could in a new dialogue choose the harddisk (she has two harddisks in her computer). Now i can see her computer (PM 6500) and i can write the password (when it's wrong it warns me), but then it's like under the older OSs, when the finder crashed: it jumps back to the last program that i used before changing to the finder. In con...

Apple to Lock Intel OSX to Apple Hardware
As reported on slashdot: "It seems that Apple has chosen to use the Trusted Platform Module chip to ensure that Mac OS X can only run on Apple Hardware. The report from vnunet states that the chips contain a unique identifier, which can be used to determine the manufacturer of a PC as well as facilities for data encryption. " Details: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2137787/security-chip-block-non-macs In article <1118764849.241921.63190@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Super Spinner" <pepesmythe@hotmail.com> wrote: > As reported on slashdot: > >...

My OSX-Computer cannot connect to a 8.6-Computer anymore
Since a week ago i can no longer connect to my wife's computer. I have OS X.2.8, she has OS 8.6. The two computers are connected over ethernet. Before i used command-k (at least thats the way you do it on a german mac) to connect, i wrote my password and could in a new dialogue choose the harddisk (she has two harddisks in her computer). Now i can see her computer (PM 6500) and i can write the password (when it's wrong it warns me), but then it's like under the older OSs, when the finder crashed: it jumps back to the last program that i used before changing to the finder. In cons...

No more Apple Computer
And hardly a mention of computers at *Mac*World. Um, what's up with that? Sure... the iPhone and �tv seem cool... but I want news on Macs and Mac OS X 10.5! Sorta bummed we did not get an updated preview of 10.5. -- � Deleting from a *Save* dialog is not a sign of well done design ��A personal computer without an OS is crippled by that lacking In article <C1C9351B.6F62E%SNIT@CABLEONE.NET.lNVALID>, Snit <SNIT@CABLEONE.NET.lNVALID> wrote: > And hardly a mention of computers at *Mac*World. Um, what's up with that? > Sure... the iPhone and �tv seem cool... but I ...

Had Apple made this
They made such a big fuss over that "Spaces" thingie (wow, virtual desktops!). Can imagine the PR drive had apple made this? http://basket.kde.org/development.php __/ [ casioculture@gmail.com ] on Wednesday 30 August 2006 08:26 \__ > They made such a big fuss over that "Spaces" thingie (wow, virtual > desktops!). Can imagine the PR drive had apple made this? > > http://basket.kde.org/development.php MS keeps raving about tabs. -- Roy S. Schestowitz | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack" http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux ...

Apple OSX
Hello As a matter of information what is the maximum file size in Apple OSX? Mike Engles In article <425AC7E6.7EAC@btinternet.com>, Mike Engles <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote: > Hello > > As a matter of information what is the maximum file size in Apple OSX? > > Mike Engles <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25557> "Volume and file limits in Mac OS X Maximum number of volumes No limit Maximum volume size and file size 2, 8, or 16 terabytes (1, 2) Maximum number of files (or files and folders) in a folder up to 4 billion (...

apple computers...
THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! APPLE SUX!!!!!!! APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!!APPLE SUX!!!!!!! IPOD SUCKS!!!! OSX SUCKS!!! FUCK APPLE! On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:10:27 -0600, hiekslxmgax@mailinator.com wrote (in article <1171591827.336662.264330@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>): > THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

BBC Interview regarding Apple Music versus Apple Computer
"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4774429.stm" "IT expert Guy Kewney had been due to appear but instead job interview candidate Guy Goma was put on." ...

FA: rare Apple II with monitor from Apple Computer Inc.
http://easyurl.net/Apple2 ...

Apple, Inc: Support Older Apple Hardware on OSX Mountain Lion
http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-in c-support-older-apple-hardware-on-osx-mo untain-lion http://tinyurl.com/9rpyn2q <quote> Apple has decided to drop support of several 64-bit capable machines with the latest release of the OS X operating system, Mountain Lion. This is an outrage and and we need to let them know that we a customers will not stand for this. Pass this message along and get people to sign the petition. Our goal is to send this message directly to apple and hope that they will take notice. Let's show them that their decisions today will hur...

Vintage Apple/ Mac computers! 15 Computers
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/3558249001.html Vintage Apple/ Mac computers! 15 Computers - $1800 (Rochester Hills) I have a full lot of vintage apple computers. All have working pow= er cables, keyboards, mouses all full sets. Including 4-6 apple printers. I= have a lot of games and programs. I also have new and used manuals for the= computers and monitors. 2 much to list. I have plunged and tested them and= they all work. Some are going on e-bay for 400-800 a computer I have about= 15 sets. Apple 2gs and some other kinds. Must see!! TOO MUCH TO LIST! Some games...

FS: Apple Dot Matrix Printer, 1982 by Apple Computer Inc.
For sell: Apple Dot Matrix Printer, 1982 by Apple Computer Inc. The Apple Dot Matrix Printer (often shortened to Apple DMP) is a printer manufactured by C. Itoh and sold under Apple label in 1982 for the Apple II series and the Apple III. The Printer comes withou Interface Card or Cables. I have powered it for testing, the LEDs light up. No guarantee due to age. Comes with a dust cover. The plastic top cover has repaired cracks. The Apple DMP is the last parallel port printer sold under Apple label; all subsequent Apple printers (ImageWriter, ImageWriter II, Scribe, LaserWriter et...

Apple vs. Apple: will the next Macintosh computer be a 'MaCartney'? :-)))
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/general/2004/09/13/generalcahner s_2004_09_13_eng-cahners_dv_eng-cahners_dv_013640_859891589053994060.htm l> "Some speculation suggests the settlement could see Apple Corps. becoming a major shareholder in the computer company, with Paul McCartney maybe even becoming a board member." and: http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040913-4182.html "One lawyer told Daily Variety, "People are expecting this to be the biggest settlement anywhere in legal history, outside of a class action suit. The numbers could be mind boggling.&quo...

Apple Computer being sued by Apple Corps over iPod & iTunes Music Store
This isn't strictly on-topic, I suppose, but anyhow, here's the article.... http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2F8120E5 Now I'm no lawyer, but I don't really agree that Apple Computer ever was an infringement on Apple Corp. But if Apple Computer did settle that case and sign an agreement not to enter the music biz, then I don't see where Apple Computer has a leg to stand on here. I sure hope they had an actual plan ready for this issue. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about rushing to grab myself an iPod now before they are forced off the market. Just Annutha Dewd wrote:...

Origin of Apple "Lisa" Computer Name : Apple IIe Software ?
What is the origin of the Apple " Lisa" - the Apple Computer that paved the way for the Mac ? It is popular Apple lore that the "Lisa " was named after an engineer's daughter. I came across this link to a manual of a pre Lisa Apple II 3rd party software called "Lisa ". Perhaps it is only Apple popular Folklore ? link : http://aceemploymentservices.net/AceEmp.Vintagecomputers/apple_lisa_programming_language.htm As far as I know the Lisa was named after Steve Jobs daughter. Source: Pirates of Silicon Valley Vince -- Making comput...

Apple II gs computer - $100 (clintville)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/2622031206.html Apple II gs computer - $100 (clintville) Date: 2011-09-28, 1:18PM EDT Reply to: sale-knxqg-2622031206@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Full system, drive monitor and processor and hard drive (!) Still works put no software. Will accept offers, other Apple II parts and several books too. Call Bill 614 2667-5229 * Location: clintville * it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests PostingID: 2622031206 ...

VINTAGE APPLE II Plus Computer + Franklin Ace 1000 (Apple II Clone)
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/2632874637.html Vintage Apple II Plus - $175 (San Juan Capistrano, Ca) Date: 2011-10-04, 4:25PM PDT Reply to: sale-zpete-2632874637@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] VINTAGE APPLE II Plus Computer + Franklin Ace 1000 (Apple II Clone) Go back to the days when memory was measured in kilobytes with this working, vintage Apple II Plus computer! Play games, do accounting, word processing, and even write your own applications, all in less than 64K RAM! The case and keyboard show only slight wear, and that just goes to show what ...

Vintage Apple and Timex Computers
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/2456542092.html Vintage Apple and Timex Computers - $95 (Camillus) Date: 2011-06-22, 5:28PM EDT Reply to: sale-6srtz-2456542092@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Will part out or take reasonable offer for all items. Included: 2 Apple IIe computers. One with number pad, one without. Number pad "5" key is broken. Keyboard without number pad, "3" key is broken. 1 Apple color display with cable 4 Apple 4.25" floppy drives 2 Apple II memory expansion cards 2 Apple II super serial cards with cables 1 Apple II ext...

**NIP-Apple Computer: gold Apple, LISA, Mac pins & pen(1980s)
http://denver.craigslist.org/clt/3541868013.html **NIP-Apple Computer: gold Apple, LISA, Mac pins & pen(1980s) - $65 (broomfield) New in package - Apple Computer LISA pins *6 (VERY RARE) LISA in gold on Apple apple pins ($200 each or all for $1,100) This very rare Lisa pin features a deep red Apple logo, with the Lisa logo in gold. 6 pins in original packages *2 LISA pins (square)- $65 each Vintage Apple Computer "Lisa" Promo Button/Pin Back. Circa 1983 (nearly 30 years old). Apple provided a limited number of these to authorized dealers as promo items whe...

16 Apple II GS's and 14 Apple IIe Computers For Sell in one bundle at a reasonable price...
Hello I have 16 Apple II GS Computers complete with GS System, Disk Drives,= Disk and Disk with source codes for sell. I also have 14 Apple IIe Compute= rs with Disk For Sell. I'll let them all go for a reasonable price. You mus= t buy the whole package, I mean all 16 GS and All 14 IIe. Contact me for d= etails at mhwordwriter@gmail.com or leave a reply. You can also make me an = offer for the whole package, free shipping in the US and UK. Sent By UPS or= FedEx you're choice. Tracking number provided. Thank you, Michael Brower heh I am giving away 3 machines just so the ...