What if Apple made OSX for other computers too?

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

--
BOFH excuse #46:

waste water tank overflowed onto computer
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120663 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

TomB wrote:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Well, thanks, but no thanks.
My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for a
split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting

--
I doubt, therefore I might be.

0
Peter
5/14/2010 10:10:16 PM
TomB stated in post 20100515000246.26@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/14/10 3:03 PM:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Cute.  At the risk over overanalyzing humor, here is some anti-Apple humor
that at least ties into *real* BS Apple has done (continues to do?)... much
better than a lot of the other Apple "humor" which is based on, well,
nothing but someone wanting to make an insult.

Got me to chuckle.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Snit
5/14/2010 10:18:08 PM
On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:03:15 +0000, TomB wrote:

> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

OSX is for elitist snobs.

Linux is for real elitist snobs.

So, if Apple made OSX for other computers, I'd still have to go with Linux.

And if Linux ever replaces Windows, I'll be forced to move to OpenBSD.

0
hotfoot
5/14/2010 10:18:41 PM
On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:18:41 -0500, hotfoot wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 22:03:15 +0000, TomB wrote:
>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>
> OSX is for elitist snobs.
>
> Linux is for real elitist snobs.
>
> So, if Apple made OSX for other computers, I'd still have to go with Linux.
>
> And if Linux ever replaces Windows, I'll be forced to move to OpenBSD.

Hello Roy Culley !
0
Moshe
5/14/2010 10:27:19 PM
Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
crayons, but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 02:33:38 up 44 days, 12:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.17
0
Homer
5/15/2010 1:33:57 AM
In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>
> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
> crayons,

Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and
slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.

But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it
for 25 years, after all.

> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
ZnU wrote:
> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
>> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
>> crayons,
>
> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and
> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
>
> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it
> for 25 years, after all.
>
>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.

This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its
not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother
with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and
the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple
are very happy too.

OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great
idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes
for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

--
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:08:49 +0100, Goblin wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
>> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
>>> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
>>> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
>>> crayons,
>>
>> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and
>> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
>>
>> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it
>> for 25 years, after all.
>>
>>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
>>

> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its
> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother
> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and
> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple
> are very happy too.

I've had similar experiences with Apple and have seen the same
thing happen with people who left Windows for Apple.
Not a single one that I recall has ever gone back and they are
very happy.

Had Windows 7 not been as good as it is for DAW work, my next
system would have been an Apple because Vista was a disaster for
most people and DAW work and XP was getting long due for
replacement.

> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great
> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes
> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

They will never do it because part of the reason Apple computers
work so well is that the hardware is tightly controlled and
monitored, unlike the PC world.

Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like
the PC world and Windows where things work but certain
combinations of hardware work better than others.

TI Firewire chips and control surfaces or audio interfaces for an
example.
Don't use a TI chipset and you are looking for trouble.
0
Moshe
5/16/2010 10:01:03 PM
Moshe wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:08:49 +0100, Goblin wrote:
>
>> ZnU wrote:

>>> Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and
>>> slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
>>>
>>> But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it
>>> for 25 years, after all.

>> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
>> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its
>> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother
>> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and
>> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple
>> are very happy too.
>
> I've had similar experiences with Apple and have seen the same
> thing happen with people who left Windows for Apple.
> Not a single one that I recall has ever gone back and they are
> very happy.
>
> Had Windows 7 not been as good as it is for DAW work, my next
> system would have been an Apple because Vista was a disaster for
> most people and DAW work and XP was getting long due for
> replacement.
>

>> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great
>> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes
>> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.
>
> They will never do it because part of the reason Apple computers
> work so well is that the hardware is tightly controlled and
> monitored, unlike the PC world.
>
> Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like
> the PC world and Windows where things work but certain
> combinations of hardware work better than others.
>
> TI Firewire chips and control surfaces or audio interfaces for an
> example.
> Don't use a TI chipset and you are looking for trouble.

Well theres a first for everything.  A post which Moshe has agreed with?

I cannot go into much detail with Macs, because I just haven't had the
experience with them.

When Moshe says:

"Apple would lose control and thus end up being pretty much like the PC
world and Windows where things work but certain combinations of hardware
work better than others."

I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a
decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.

--
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
Catch me in #boycottnovell on freenode.net
0
Goblin
5/16/2010 10:23:16 PM
On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:

> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a
> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.

I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

--
BOFH excuse #399:

We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
0
TomB
5/16/2010 10:40:10 PM
TomB wrote:
> On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
>
> I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

True, come to think of it so did I....coincidently enough Im going
through a retro revival of sorts at the moment by booting Devpac2 with
UAE and getting back into 68k asm......and my copperbar routinue has
already caused one!

--
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."
Catch me in #boycottnovell on freenode.net
0
Goblin
5/16/2010 10:51:36 PM
On 2010-05-16, TomB <tommy.bongaerts@gmail.com> claimed:
> On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>>
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
>
> I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

And my wife has had her problems with OS X (guess who gets to keep it
running). Sinister Jr gave up on his Mac because he was bored with it.
I have one machine running myself. But I don't use it for anything
important. I check to see if things are likely to screw up when I put
them Mrs. Midget's machine since I don't have anything I need to keep
on there.

But Mac doesn't have anything as nice as the Guru.

--
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Aspire One, Linux Mint 8 (LXDE)
>> In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
>> wrote:

>>> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like
>>> Apple.
>
> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.

'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.

How 'bout now?

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 02:40:42 up 46 days, 12:31,  2 users,  load average: 3.94, 3.49, 3.35
0
Homer
5/17/2010 1:41:09 AM
In article <ghYHn.72691$3w4.64757@newsfe14.ams2>,
 Goblin <bytes4free@googlemail.com> wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
> > In article <79a1c7-c48.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:
> >> Satire aside, even if Apple paid me to use their toy OS, I'd still tell
> >> them to shove it, primarily because using OS X feels like playing with
> >> crayons,
> >
> > Meanwhile, the Mac Pro sitting next to me is transcoding, rendering and
> > slicing 4096x2304 video for large-format architectural projection.
> >
> > But Macs are just silly toys. They must be. People have been saying it
> > for 25 years, after all.
> >
> >> but also because I have no interest in supporting thugs like Apple.
> >

> This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
> personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.  Whilst its
> not my main rig, the wife has a Mac and has not had one bit of bother
> with it.  On the few stolen moments Ive had, Ive been very impressed and
> the growing number of my collegues who have dumped MS and chosen Apple
> are very happy too.
>
> OSX as a standalone release? I personally think it sounds like a great
> idea, although since Apple have control of the spec's I think that makes
> for a more generic (and stable) experience for the end user.

Well, the notion of OS X as an independent product doesn't really make a
ton of sense. The reason most people who say they want this actually
want it is that they want computers that Apple does make (netbook,
mid-range tower, whatever). If Apple wanted OS X to play in those
markets, it would be much easier for them to simply make computers in
those markets themselves than to support the vast array of random stuff
out there in the wider x86 world.

It's not like adding a few models would be especially hard; these days
all this stuff is made by the same Chinese/Taiwanese outsourcing
companies Apple already works with anyway.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
ZnU
5/17/2010 2:35:22 AM
On May 14, 6:03=A0pm, TomB <tommy.bongae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg

Apple would encounter the same problems that others who have attempted
to create Linux and UNIX for PCs have encountered.

Keep in mind that SCO, Interactive Unix, AT&T, IBM, Novell, and Sun
have all attempted creating Intel versions of UNIX, but each time, the
were unable to keep up with the hundreds of permutations of devices
and all of the drivers and driver variations.  Linux is one of the few
competitors who has consistently been able to keep pace with all of
the innovations that go on with the PC year after year for almost 18
years.  There is some lag time, but Linux drivers are typically
available within 3-6 months after any new chip-set comes out.

3-Com was one of the first major vendors to publicly support Linux and
found immediately that it substantially boosted their revenues and
market share. Over the years, many others vendors have been official
supporters of Linux.  Many vendors now offer official "binary-only"
drivers for Linux - many of which are actually developed for Linux
BEFORE they are developed for Windows, and released AFTER the Windows
version is released.

Many PC makers make sure that their top-of-the-line Laptops and
Desktops are "Linux-Ready" sporting hardware that supports both
Windows and Linux.  And when they release high-end machines that don't
support Linux, they often find that the prices of these "Linux
hostile" machines tends to drop very quickly.

0
Rex
5/17/2010 4:34:31 AM
In article <qej6c7-pgt.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer <usenet@slated.org>
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Goblin spake thusly:

> > This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
> > personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.
>
> 'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
> Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.
>
> How 'bout now?

It seems extremely unlikely that Jobs is doing much more than passing
along information to explain Apple's decision with respect to H.264 vs.
Theora. Apple owns exactly *one* patent related to H.264 out of
literally thousands:

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/avc-att1.pdf

The idea that they'd actively instigate patent litigation against Theora
doesn't make any sense; they'd have nearly nothing to gain. Contrary to
what some in this group seem to believe, Steve Jobs is not actually a
mustache-twirling evildoer who hates Linux users for their freedom.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
ZnU
5/17/2010 7:09:08 AM
TomB wrote:

>On 2010-05-16, the following emerged from the brain of Goblin:
>>
>> I would agree. I think thats one of the reasons why the Amiga was such a
>> decent, rock solid platform all those years ago.
>
>I had my share of 'guru' messages on my Amigas though ;-)

If you programmed, you got guru'ed.    8)

0
chrisv
5/17/2010 1:03:08 PM
"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv is a liar. chrisv is a piece of shit.

0
One
5/17/2010 1:07:53 PM
On 2010-05-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:

> TomB wrote:
>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>

> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for a
> split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting

    Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.

    Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate you.

--
	OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop.      |||
				                               / | \
JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2010-05-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>>

>> TomB wrote:
>>
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/img/2008/04/imagineaworld01.jpg
>>>

>> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
>> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for
>> a split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting
>
>     Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.

What for? There is nothing apple specific I would care for

>     Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate
>     you.

Exactly
--
The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
        Support your right to bare arms!

0
Peter
5/17/2010 4:53:22 PM
On 2010-05-17, the following emerged from the brain of Peter Köhlmann:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Well, thanks, but no thanks.
>>> My son uses OSX on his MacBook. I personally would not contemplate for
>>> a split second to use that instead of linux. Much too limiting
>>
>>     Put it in a VM and use it to run whatever apps are Apple specific.
>
> What for? There is nothing apple specific I would care for
>
>>     Although you might have a hard time finding something to motivate
>>     you.
>>

> Exactly

Same thing here. I have OSX and several Window versions running under
virtualization, but I only use them for learning. All my day to day
work is done on my Debian box.

--
BOFH excuse #123:

user to computer ratio too high.
0
TomB
5/17/2010 5:12:10 PM
wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Goblin spake thusly:

> > This is way I "branch away" from some of the FOSS/Linux opinion.  I
> > personally have had nothing but good experiences of Apple.
>
> 'A patent pool is being assembled to go after Theora and other "Open
> Source" codecs now' ~ Steve Jobs.
>
> How 'bout now?

So Steve Jobs is aware of a patent pool targeting Theora. Do you have
any particular reason to believe Apple is part of that patent pool?
Apple isn't a big player in codec patents--they've only got one patent
in the H.264 pool, for instance.

There are many ways they would become aware of a pool that they aren't a
part of.

For instance, there are companies that run patent auctions. I've seen
the catalog from such an auction. It was about 100 pages long, with
patents from many fields, nicely broken down by category. For each
listed patent, the seller included a list of potential infringers.

I'd be surprised if Apple (or IBM, or Microsoft, or any other large
company) did not look through these catalogs. So they see some codec
patents go to auction that are listed as potentially covering Theora.
Then later they are approached by someone trying to see if Apple is
interested in licensing Theora patents, and that entity is offering a
diverse group of patents from different inventors--patents that Apple
saw go up for auction previously. It's then pretty easy to figure out
that someone is buying potential Theora patents to put together a pool
and go after licensing money.

--
--Tim Smith
0

APPLE AIRPORT DRM CRACKED
We here you go... A perfect example of just how good DRM works on a piece of consumer hardware... The APPLE AIRPORT that a streams music to you stereo using ITUNES DRM has been cracked. In fact, there's a windows utility with sourcecode, free for download, that allows anyone to stream there favorite music files (NOT just iTunes encrypted music files) from your personal computer to your family stereo. Without a doubt, other platforms are soon to follow. How long has the airport been on the market place? And what good is DRM going to be anyways? -- ***********************************...

Sleazy Apple sued again!
"Just works" has been replaced by "Always broke". http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/15/apple-iphone-button-lawsuit/?source=yahoo_quote Woman buys an iPhone 4. Fifteen months later the power button stops working. She calls AT&T (T). They send her to Apple (AAPL). She works her way up and down the customer service chain and gets tough love at every turn: Her warranty expired three months ago. She has two choices. Pay for repair ($149 plus shipping) or buy new phone. She goes to the Internet. Finds a thread on Apple's community support site with hu...

See your home on your computer through google earth
See your home on your computer through google earth SURPRIZE ! Enjoy amazing time see your earth completely Even your house Now see on your computer By controlling your self www.see2earth.blogspot.com ...

Apple is finished
Truthfully - there will be no one like THE STEVE. Cook & Co. are now going to do things THEIR way -and THEIR way is not THE STEVE'S way. My crystal ball says: "I see kitchen appliances in Apple future." >"Redjak" wrote in message news:j6isbd$idc$1@dont-email.me... >Truthfully - there will be no one like THE STEVE. >Cook & Co. are now going to do things THEIR way -and THEIR way is not >THE STEVE'S way. >My crystal ball says: "I see kitchen appliances in Apple future." It looks like the ...

computers,laptops and softwares #2
Get information related about computers,laptops and latest softwares visit (http://in-computersandlaptops.blogspot.com) ...

Apple stole iBooks?
Yep! http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/think-ibooks-looks-familiar-youre-not-the-only-one/ Apple is up to their old Xerox thievery. In article <7222c295-80df-4342-8c24-00e4af5a8549@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > Yep! > > http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/think-ibooks-looks-familiar-youre-not-the-onl > y-one/ > > > Apple is up to their old Xerox thievery. Funny. The man who created Delicious Library disagrees: �But the thing about iBooks is, it�s a book-reader. So, of course they looked aro...

[News] [Rival] Apple and Microsoft Draconian Licensing Backfires

Answers from Steve Jobs at Apple's Shareholder Meeting

FBI Alert
FBI Alerts Public to Recent Email Scheme The FBI warned the public to avoid falling victim to an on-going mass e-mail scheme wherein computer users receive unsolicited e-mails purportedly sent by the FBI. The e-mails then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions. The attachments contain a computer virus. To read the full text, please go to: http://www.contactomagazine.com/emailscam0226.htm ...

apple mac app store more megalomania
links from the former apple downloads pages are being redirected to the mac app store where all downloads are controlled, registered, recorded and databased on the path to Lion (Mac looks like iOS) all apps available (maybe only) from the app store for mac, iphone, ipod etc. loss of freeware shareware - all paid apps from mac app store just speculation, other opinions and facts welcome In article <4d4eee52$0$23760$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, opinion <opinion@opine.net> wrote: > links from the former apple downloads pages are being redirected to the > mac a...

Commodore Computer Club (UK) Meet
----------------Forwarded Message-------------- From: Shaun Bebbington Date: Sat, January 17, 2008 The 2nd CCC (UK) meet will be at Banners Gate Community Hall, Reay Nadin Drive, Sutton Coldfield B73 6UR, [England] from 12:00 noon to 17:00 on Saturday, 24th January '09. Non- members will be charged =A32.50 entrance fee. Confirmed attendees include Mike Dailly (www.xeo3.com) and myself. Unfortunately, due to Nigel Parker's current poor health (www.commodorefree.com), I'm unsure if he will be able to make it - get well soon, Nigel! Edit: Chris Snowden (www.commodo...

More Apple ineptitude
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 Apple should stick to iPods. In article <jveUf.116252$Mh4.111672@fe02.news.easynews.com>, Stew <antwun@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 You should stick to Windows NG's, like comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy There, you'd be wanted. -- Yours, Tom Tom Bates wrote: > In article <jveUf.116252$Mh4.111672@fe02.news.easynews.com>, > Stew <antwun@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 > >...

Todays gaming computers...
.... are really great. I have the following games up and running on my PC at the moment: Ultima 7 BG and SI, the Fallouts, Morrowind w/ Tribunal and Bloodmoon, Deus Ex, Gothic 1 and 2, Civ 2 and 3, Arx Fatalis, BG2, King's Quest 1 (VGA), Moorhuhn 2, Divine Divinity (what a STUPID name) and SoF Platinum. And I've got as many in my closet... Diablo, Diablo2, PS:T, the list goes on... Whine - I'm bored! :-))) -- Greetings, Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==- http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm Arcana Dragon wrote: > > And I've got as many in my closet... Diablo, Diablo2, PS:T, t...

teh G5, 64 bit computing,Intel/AMD, M$ and Apple
From ars.technica on the need for 64-bit computing. In the past, the marketplace focused on "processor speed" as the yardstick. Is the new measure the measure of "64 bit computing, the OS and apps" they ask? If nothing else, a pretty good read on perhaps everybody in the comsumer space. http://www.arstechnica.com/etc/mac/index.html -- Jim Polaski "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return." In article <jpolaski-F6AF9A.11500218022004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOync.net> wrote: > From a...

Apple CPM manual collection
I have the following Apple CPM Manual Collection. Copies not originals. Any ideas of who these would be of historical or academic interest ? 1) Microsoft CP/M Reference Manual Microsoft Softcard Microsoft Consumer Products 400 108th Ave NE Suite 200 Bellevue WA 98004 imagine in one suite on the 2nd floor humble beginnings 2) Microsoft TASC Compiler Manual Microsoft TASC The Applesoft Compiler same address but with phone number ( 206) 454-1315 maybe its Bill's now Catalog No 2222 Part No. 20F22 as if they had 2000 other products 3)Apple II ProDos Reference Manual 4) Apple II Dos ...

transfering apple II basic files to Apple
Hi! How do I send Apple Basic files back to the Apple to be saved on a 5.25" disk? Thanks! John John <johnisripp@charter.net> wrote: > Hi! How do I send Apple Basic files back to the Apple to be saved on a > 5.25" disk? What format are they in now? If you have them on a disk image in an emulator, you can move the disk image back to the Apple II with the usual set of tools (see the c.s.a2 FAQ for URLs). -- Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/ CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Wi...

Computer system with automatic adapter card setup
5,329,634 http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html A computer adapter card (204) includes a plurality of setup registers (224-226) for receiving setup parameters during initialization of the computer system. Each of the setup registers of an adapter card is accessed at the same address as the corresponding setup register of all other adapter cards in the system. The adapter card is designed to be connected to a computer bus (201) that does not include individual setup lines for each of the adapter cards in the system. To select an individual adapter card, each adapter card inclu...

Apple COO chats about iPhone
worth glancing over. the main gem is WiFi is going to be the method most people will use to surf / connect with an iPhone... not 3G. By AppleInsider Staff Published: 04:00 PM EST Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium this week, Apple's second in command Tim Cook talked at length about the upcoming iPhone, revealing some of the methodology that went into the product's development as well as the executive decisions that lead to the company's partnership with Cingular. The 45 minute Q&A session was recorded and made available as a streaming QuickTi...

How Appl could crush Dell?
http://apcmag.com/5359/how_apple_could_crush_dell_better_windows_pcs (Certainly one fellow's opinion.) -- Jim "Jim Polaski" <jpolaski@NOync.net> wrote in message news:jpolaski-328119.10150918022007@comcast.dca.giganews.com... > http://apcmag.com/5359/how_apple_could_crush_dell_better_windows_pcs > > (Certainly one fellow's opinion.) Yea Apple's only chance to compete is to stop making hardware-unique Macs and make PCs like they're doing now. Oh and they can let them run Windows too. Apple can cash in on Windows' massive popularity. ...

Apple IIe floppies to ssd images
Hi, I have a pile of old 128k Apple prodos and dos3.3 disks. I would like to get these converted over to ssd images to run in an Apple 2 emulator. There are about 20 disks. I don't know whether they are still readable. They have been in storage for quite a while. I am in Sydney, Australia, but would be prepared to send the disks overseas and pay a modest fee if it got the job done. - Bernard D. ozstarguyatgmail On 12/1/14 8:55 PM, bjdee wrote: > I am in Sydney, Australia, but would be prepared to send the disks overseas and pay a modest fee if it got the job done. >...

what apple is this?
Hello, I need an identification of this Apple whose label has been lost. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple1.jpg http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple2.jpg Thanks! Guillaume. Guillaume Tello <houten.van@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I need an identification of this Apple whose label has been lost. > > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple1.jpg > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple2.jpg That isn't a genuine Apple ][. It is a clone of some kind. The general shape of the case and the layout of the main part of the keyboard are similar to a...

Apple Loses Appeal in Japanese Click Wheel Infringement Case,,50. Patently Legal
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/04/apple-loses-appeal-in-japanese-click-wheel-infringement-case.html -- Harry On 5/21/2014 7:49 PM, Harry Mudd wrote: > http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/04/apple-loses-appeal-in-japanese-click-wheel-infringement-case.html > So Apple is a patent thief too, eh? -- Harry So if Samsung "won" by having to pay Apple over $100 million. Does that mean Apple "won" even bigger by only having to pay $3 million ? On 2014-05-21 23:49:53 +0000, Harry Mudd said: > http://www.patentlyapple.com/pat...

Earn more money using these computer softwer and if you click so earne money #3
no investment: no physical work: no tension: earn more money in the home: per day earning is 10$ to 12$: we can do it as part time job: click here below: http://www.vjrocks.com/ http://www.vjrocks.com/Introduction%20to%20Computers.html http://www.vjrocks.com/Programming%20IN%20C.html http://www.vjrocks.com/BCA_Ist_year.html http://www.vjrocks.com/BCA_IInd_year.html ************************* *********** Vjrocks.comhttp://www.vjrocks.com/ LANGUAGE Introduction to Computershttp://www.vjrocks.com/Introduction%20to%20Computers.html Programming IN Chttp://www.vjrocks.com/Programming%20IN%...

good apple 2 emulator
I am new to this forum and am looking for a good link to a apple 2 emulator and site with some classic apple 2 games like lode runner, conan the barbarian, moon patrol, montezuma's revenge, transavania Hi Below some links OK. I use Oasis...nice but don't work with XP Have a nice day Jean Pierre http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/4414/ http://www.tomcharlesworth.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ http://www.zip.com.au/~alexm/faq/ "SiK_cHoDe" <sik_chode@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:niRZb.70053$Wa.37531@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > I am ne...

Apple the #1 brand
From Brandjunkies. http://brandchannel.com/start1.asp?fa_id=415 -- Jim ...