What's Running on a Googler's PC?

Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right?
I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why
can't they make it free?
O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?

http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/

0
ttdevelop (35)

On Sat, 06 May 2006 18:18:10 -0700, Tim wrote:

> O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?

ClamAV is a good free AV program. There is a frontend for KDE too.

Brad

0
brad6651 (142)
5/7/2006 3:01:43 AM
__/ [ Tim ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 02:18 \__

> Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right?
> I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why
> can't they make it free?
> O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?
>
> http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/

This  is probably not the most relevant newsgroup for this question to  be
asked.  Google  Pack  is free and it is used to promote  Google  software,
among  other packaged that Google get paid to distribute (e.g. bundling of
anti-virus software). If you need protection from viruses, why not upgrade
to GNU/Linux?

Here  is  a  good place to start. This distribution  (pack)  will  include
plenty  of excellent software. If you stick with Windows, you will be able
to  install OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird from these
CD's, which will be shipped to you for free.

                        https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Please quote upon reply:

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:50am  up 9 days 11:47,  12 users,  load average: 1.92, 1.26, 1.07
newsgroups3 (79677)
5/7/2006 3:59:09 AM
GNU/Linux is not somehow protecting you from viruses. It's just the
thing that Windows is used more and people who are unfamiliar with
computers will fail due their lack of knowledge about computers, which
usually causes them to accidentaly download viruses etc.
There are viruses on UNIXes too, but they are not that well known.

Anyway, Gnu/Linux OSes are really great, and I think that Ubuntu is a
good choice for a beginner as you don't need a lot of time to actually
start off ;)
I like Ubuntu but use Gentoo Gnu/Linux myself.

Thanks

__/ [ Drakazz ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:58 \__

> GNU/Linux is not somehow protecting you from viruses. It's just the
> thing that Windows is used more and people who are unfamiliar with
> computers will fail due their lack of knowledge about computers, which
> usually causes them to accidentaly download viruses etc.
> There are viruses on UNIXes too, but they are not that well known.

I  partially disagree with the part where you argue that "GNU/Linux is not
somehow  protecting  you  from  viruses".  While  it  does  not   actively
/protecting/  the user from viruses, it protects the user from his/herself
by  making it harder for unauthorised code (e.g. viruses) to penetrate the
system.  The  click-to-execute  approach, for example, is too  lenient.  I
could say much more on that.

> Anyway, Gnu/Linux OSes are really great, and I think that Ubuntu is a
> good choice for a beginner as you don't need a lot of time to actually
> start off ;)
> I like Ubuntu but use Gentoo Gnu/Linux myself.

I fully agree. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
http://Schestowitz.com  | Free as in Free Beer �  PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
On 2006-05-09, Drakazz <vykintas.narmontas@googlemail.com> posted something concerning:
> GNU/Linux is not somehow protecting you from viruses. It's just the
> thing that Windows is used more and people who are unfamiliar with
> computers will fail due their lack of knowledge about computers, which
> usually causes them to accidentaly download viruses etc.
> There are viruses on UNIXes too, but they are not that well known.

Past history proves some of the above wrong. Yes, windummies klick
stuff they shouldn't. But it often has nothing to do with "lack of
knowledge of computers" so much as luck of the draw. Some malware
requires almost no action out of the ordicary for users, and can't even
be detected by most users until it's too late.

Linux doesn't have less malware because there are fewer users, as you
seem to want to indicate. Linux doesn't have even a proportional amount
because it's very difficult to pull infections off in linux.

Any 11-year-old can bring down a Winders machine. And they usually do.

--
I'd always thought music was too formal, and I thought 'well,
I'll get into this and fix it'.

0
ttdevelop (35)
5/10/2006 9:54:28 PM
Tim wrote:

> Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right?
> I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why
> can't they make it free?
> O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?
>
> http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/

It would be very difficult to offer anti-v for free because it calls for an
almost daily update, someone has to be working on it full time to be
properly up to date.

Unless they provided a pure Hueristic anti-v, on todays fast machines a very
good hueristic engine can run with very little loss of speed. But the
anti-v vendors don't push the hueristic approach because why sell one cure
when you can have an on going income from palliatives.
0
spam226 (1980)
5/12/2006 7:19:43 AM
BearItAll wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>> Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right?
>> I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why
>> can't they make it free?
>> O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?
>>
>> http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/
>
> It would be very difficult to offer anti-v for free because it calls for
> an almost daily update, someone has to be working on it full time to be
> properly up to date.
>
> Unless they provided a pure Hueristic anti-v, on todays fast machines a
> very good hueristic engine can run with very little loss of speed. But the
> anti-v vendors don't push the hueristic approach because why sell one cure
> when you can have an on going income from palliatives.

The impossible we do today, miracles take a little longer.

AVG & Avast both produce 'free for personal use' Anti-virus software which
appears to updated nearly every day. Reviews would indicate that they are
just as good as paid for Anti-virus software, and I have certainly found
them both very usefull for my windows box. Work uses Trend, and you can go
to their web site and get a free scan as well.

So you don't have to pay for Anti-virus protection unless you want to.

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home
M wrote:
> BearItAll wrote:
>

>>Tim wrote:
>>

>>>Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right?
>>>I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why
>>>can't they make it free?
>>>O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares?
>>>
>>>http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/
>>
>>It would be very difficult to offer anti-v for free because it calls for
>>an almost daily update, someone has to be working on it full time to be
>>properly up to date.
>>
>>Unless they provided a pure Hueristic anti-v, on todays fast machines a
>>very good hueristic engine can run with very little loss of speed. But the
>>anti-v vendors don't push the hueristic approach because why sell one cure
>>when you can have an on going income from palliatives.
>

> The impossible we do today, miracles take a little longer.
>
> AVG & Avast both produce 'free for personal use' Anti-virus software which
> appears to updated nearly every day. Reviews would indicate that they are
> just as good as paid for Anti-virus software, and I have certainly found
> them both very usefull for my windows box. Work uses Trend, and you can go
> to their web site and get a free scan as well.
>
> So you don't have to pay for Anti-virus protection unless you want to.

Alternatively, you could download one of many Linux distributions,
install just what you need, and not have to worry about viruses/malware
(although Grisoft do offer a Linux AV package).

HTH&HAND

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.
Jim wrote:

> M wrote:
>> BearItAll wrote:

>>>It would be very difficult to offer anti-v for free because it calls for
>>>an almost daily update, someone has to be working on it full time to be
>>>properly up to date.
>>>
>>>Unless they provided a pure Hueristic anti-v, on todays fast machines a
>>>very good hueristic engine can run with very little loss of speed. But
>>>the anti-v vendors don't push the hueristic approach because why sell one
>>>cure when you can have an on going income from palliatives.
>>

>> The impossible we do today, miracles take a little longer.
>>
>> AVG & Avast both produce 'free for personal use' Anti-virus software
>> which appears to updated nearly every day. Reviews would indicate that
>> they are just as good as paid for Anti-virus software, and I have
>> certainly found them both very usefull for my windows box. Work uses
>> Trend, and you can go to their web site and get a free scan as well.
>>
>> So you don't have to pay for Anti-virus protection unless you want to.
>>

> Alternatively, you could download one of many Linux distributions,
> install just what you need, and not have to worry about viruses/malware
> (although Grisoft do offer a Linux AV package).

Agreed, been there, done that. :-) Sorry I failed to mention that. Just need
to get round to installing linux on my faster pc box.

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home

You know the system is fubared, when politics dictates to science.
0
warlock (9522)
5/12/2006 10:29:49 PM
Jim wrote:

> M wrote:
>> BearItAll wrote:

>>>It would be very difficult to offer anti-v for free because it calls for
>>>an almost daily update, someone has to be working on it full time to be
>>>properly up to date.
>>>
>>>Unless they provided a pure Hueristic anti-v, on todays fast machines a
>>>very good hueristic engine can run with very little loss of speed. But
>>>the anti-v vendors don't push the hueristic approach because why sell one
>>>cure when you can have an on going income from palliatives.
>>

>> The impossible we do today, miracles take a little longer.
>>
>> AVG & Avast both produce 'free for personal use' Anti-virus software
>> which appears to updated nearly every day. Reviews would indicate that
>> they are just as good as paid for Anti-virus software, and I have
>> certainly found them both very usefull for my windows box. Work uses
>> Trend, and you can go to their web site and get a free scan as well.
>>
>> So you don't have to pay for Anti-virus protection unless you want to.
>>

> Alternatively, you could download one of many Linux distributions,
> install just what you need, and not have to worry about viruses/malware
> (although Grisoft do offer a Linux AV package).
>
> HTH&HAND

We know Linux doesn't need these, but anyone using Linux as a server for MS
clients needs an anti-v that is seperate, because of cause the anti-v on MS
is just as visible to the virus as any other software on that machine.

I must say that I was really surprised at clamav. I pay for Kaspersky on my
servers mainly because historically the free anti-v's were pattern only
anti-virus's, which is a very weak approach since all the virus writter had
to do was change the order of some lines of code and the anti-v wouldn't
spot it.

It looks like they have come a long way. I'll stick with Kaspersky though
because it has saved my network many a time from a virus carried in on a
sales rep's laptop. Appart from checking users documents it sits very
neatly on your mail server checking everything in and out. Besides, its not
My money thats paying for it.

0
spam226 (1980)