Where is the Linux Advocacy?

Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
"Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
groups subjects.

Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
on both Windows and Mac.
The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
from the shut down menu.
When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.

A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
another distro can be ready for install.
By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
burn an install disk.
You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.

Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!

Jens

On May 7, 11:48=A0pm, Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.

That's the tragedy of the commons. Sorry for all the WindBlows nutjobs
around here, but i'm afraid it can;t be helped.

> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass

Well, i agree with that.
0
kleuske (534)
5/7/2011 10:11:50 PM
Lyrik wrote:

Reading this group it should have been named "windump troll suicide group."
or "Depressed Appil troll no money left lusers" or maybe "Linux Advocacy
kills trolls?" It is like every group becomes camping site for the
appil/micoshaft paid trolling adversaries of the groups subjects.

[...]

Nobody now say its safe to install windopws while appil osen
is for girlies and drains all your money leaving you penniless.
Studies have shown that appil lusers are seriously deluded and
in serious debt.
Its best to delete windopws and appile OSen and install Linux.

On 5/7/2011 6:11 PM, Kleuskes & Moos wrote:
> On May 7, 11:48 pm, Lyrik<jenserikb...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> groups subjects.
>

> That's the tragedy of the commons. Sorry for all the WindBlows nutjobs
> around here, but i'm afraid it can;t be helped.
>
>>> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>
> Well, i agree with that.

Quit trying to throw your big hands around cola.
0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 12:24:34 AM
On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Lyrik wrote:

> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.
>
> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> on both Windows and Mac.
> The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> from the shut down menu.
> When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> another distro can be ready for install.
> By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> burn an install disk.
> You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> Jens

You are a funny guy/gal !!
I'm still laughing!

Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1,gzip(gfe)

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
5/8/2011 3:48:21 AM
On 5/7/2011 11:48 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Lyrik wrote:
>

> You are a funny guy/gal !!
> I'm still laughing!

> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1,gzip(gfe)

You gotta chuckle at their complete willingness to humiliate themselves.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 3:55:10 AM
"Lyrik" <jenserikbech@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.
>
> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> on both Windows and Mac.
> The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> from the shut down menu.
> When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> another distro can be ready for install.
> By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> burn an install disk.
> You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> Jens

But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?

0
clogwog (1758)
5/8/2011 9:10:49 AM
On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>

> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> > groups subjects.
>
> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> > on both Windows and Mac.
> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> > from the shut down menu.
> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> > another distro can be ready for install.
> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> > burn an install disk.
> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> > Jens
>
> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
cultures.
When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.

Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
Now You can see mine:
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?

Jens
On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:

> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg

Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 4:32:46 PM
> On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
>> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in
>> berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> > groups subjects.
>>
>> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>> > on both Windows and Mac.
>> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
>> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
>> > from the shut down menu.
>> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
>> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
>> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>>
>> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
>> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
>> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
>> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
>> > another distro can be ready for install.
>> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
>> > burn an install disk.
>> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>>
>> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>>
>> > Jens
>>
>> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel
>> the
>> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
>> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> cultures.
> When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> Jens

What's that funny ribbon on the left?, does it auto hide?
I had such a feature 12 years ago in my Win 98 box.
http://www.plemsoft.com/PowerBar.html

0
clogwog (1758)
5/8/2011 4:34:07 PM
Lyrik <jenserikbech@gmail.com> writes:

> On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
>> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> > groups subjects.
>>
>> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>> > on both Windows and Mac.
>> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
>> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
>> > from the shut down menu.
>> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
>> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
>> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>>
>> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
>> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
>> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
>> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
>> > another distro can be ready for install.
>> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
>> > burn an install disk.
>> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>>
>> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>>
>> > Jens
>>
>> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
>> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
>> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> cultures.
> When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> Jens

I'm  intrigued to hear what you think is so nice about those pretty
boring snapshots.
0
hadronquark (21814)
5/8/2011 5:00:22 PM
On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> > Now You can see mine:
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>
> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nothing to show! I thought it enough!

You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
Windows desktop.

Jens
On 8 Maj, 19:00, Hadron<hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
> >> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-=
4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...

> >> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind fe=
el the
> >> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_ma=
tic
> >> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> > Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> > cultures.
> > When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> > You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> > Now You can see mine:
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> > Jens
>
> I'm =A0intrigued to hear what you think is so nice about those pretty
> boring snapshots.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's got style. But You would'nt know what that is.
Get Yourself a Linux distro. You can learn.

Jens
On 5/8/2011 2:52 PM, Lyrik wrote:
> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS<nos...@dfs.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>>> Now You can see mine:
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>>> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!

What?

> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

Why do I need a distro full of crapware when I have Windows and the best
apps known to man?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 7:37:03 PM
Lyrik wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>> > Now You can see mine:
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>
> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

--
I find this corpse guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and I fine it $40.
		-- Judge Roy Bean, finding a pistol and $40 on a man he'd
On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

Yea.
The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
applications.

Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
5/8/2011 11:32:30 PM
On 2011-05-08, Lyrik <jenserikbech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>> > Now You can see mine:
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>>> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>
> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

What is this rubbish about a 'trash can'? I don't have one of those on
my desktop. Even if I did, it would be called a 'rubbish bin' and not a
'trash can'. My desktop consists of a fantastic closeup screenshot of
the rings of Saturn, taken by one of the probe flybys... and nothing
else. Task bar auto-hides itself at the bottom of the screen... The
desktop becomes a rotating cube when I use the 'scrollwheel' on my
touchpad. If I touch the top left corner I get small images of all my
open applications and can choose one of them for quick switching between
applications.

I like a tidy desktop.. uncluttered by silly and useless icons.

--
Regards,
Gregory.
"flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even
>> FreeBSD and
>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>
> Yea.
> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
> applications.
>
> Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.

Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.
Nobody cares about applications or getting their work done. What they really
want is yet another window-manager to customize the window borders and
buttons.

0
zeke947 (1328)
5/9/2011 12:31:16 AM

On 5/8/2011 7:26 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Lyrik wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>>
>>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>>
>> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>>
>> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
>> Windows desktop.
>
> You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

ie You can waste *far* more of your time tinkering with your crapware
while basically the entire planet runs their lives on their Windows
machines.

And why is Windows in quotes, Linosuck?  Doesn't make sense.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/9/2011 5:35:49 AM
Ezekiel wrote:

>Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.
>Nobody cares about applications or getting their work done. What they really
>want is yet another window-manager to customize the window borders and
>buttons.

For many, the applications available on Linux are plenty.

*Many* people need nothing more than the Internet stuff and, a light
word processor, and maybe a couple other basic tools.

0
chrisv (22840)
5/9/2011 1:22:30 PM
useless dog shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

more documented lies from the stupid piece of dog shit named chrisv.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
nest4998 (21)
5/9/2011 1:27:25 PM
Lyrik wrote:

>It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>groups subjects.

No, only when the "adversaries" are the idiots, the  assholes, and the
mental-defectives of the world.

You don't see a pack of Linux guys trolling in the Windows or Mac
groups...

0
chrisv (22840)
5/9/2011 1:39:24 PM

> No, only when the "adversaries" are the idiots, the  assholes, and the
> mental-defectives of the world.

another fine 'advocacy' post from the useless piece of dog shit named
"chrisv."

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
nest4998 (21)
5/9/2011 1:42:39 PM
> Ezekiel wrote:
>
>>Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and
>>desktops.

To have more choice, yes. More desktop environments and window
managers means more chance that there's one I really like. I would
hate it if there was no awesome, just like eg. Chris A. would hate it
if there was no 'fluxbox'.

I find it odd how people have preferences for about every aspect of
life, but when it comes down to computers they use whatever is shoved
down their throats.

--
Women should be obscene and not heard.
	~ Groucho Marx

>> Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and
>>> desktops.
>
> To have more choice, yes. More desktop environments and window
> managers means more chance that there's one I really like. I would
> hate it if there was no awesome, just like eg. Chris A. would hate it
> if there was no 'fluxbox'.

All else being equal, having a choice of desktop environments is better than
not... I have no problem with that. Unfortunately, not all else is equal,
and on desktop Linux that choice comes with a price.  For some that price is
worth it - but for many (it seems most) it is not.

> I find it odd how people have preferences for about every aspect of
> life, but when it comes down to computers they use whatever is shoved
> down their throats.

Oh, people set their computers up quite differently - no matter what OS they
use.  And do not think that the choice to use Windows is not a choice.  This
does not mean that it is always an informed choice.  OS X, however, proves
people are willing to move to alternatives, even when there is a cost to do
so.  With OS X, the cost is more financial... with Linux the costs are
elsewhere.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/9/2011 6:19:16 PM
On 2011-05-08, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>
> Yea.
> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
> applications.

    Yes. This is sometimes missing in WinDOS amazingly enough.

--

	"Music is everybody's possession.
	It's only publishers who think that people own it."          |||
On 2011-05-09, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchmail.com> wrote:

> "flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even
>>> FreeBSD and
>>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>>
>> Yea.
>> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
>> applications.
>>
>> Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.
>>

> Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.

....they are the gateway and encapsulate much of the basic underlying system
functionality. They aren't entirely invisible. They also are a big part of
how anyone does "work" on a system.

[deletia]

--

	"Music is everybody's possession.
	It's only publishers who think that people own it."          |||
~  John Lennon                                                      / | \
0
jedi (14754)

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] [Linux] New and Extensive Linux Introduction/Advocacy Page
Introduction to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The very first thing that must be understood about Linux is that | is it open-source software. Think about the open nature of a | chocolate chip cookie recipe and how all the people who use ita | re legally allowed to modify and redistribute the recipe if they | wish, provided they're given permission to do so from the author... `---- http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html > > It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the (Linux) fortress! That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. -- K. http://slated.org ,---- | <This sig left intentionally blank> `---- Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5 00:07:59 up 41 days, 21:40, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.08 "[H]omer" <spam@uce.gov> writes: > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html >> >> It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. > > I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the > (Linux) fortress! > > That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. I particularly enjoy...

Why linux is linux

How-To...Linux Advocacy...
This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy. 1. Never admit Linux's faults. Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute it. 2. Blame the user. 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same hardware works fine with Windows. 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good tactic. 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the opponent guessing! 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the wagons around you. 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let it stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called LIEnux advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition can't accuse you of siding with known liars. There are 10k more..... Feel free to add... -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at de...

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

COLA is full of fanatic Linux Zealots. Look Elsewhere for Linux Advocacy.
I tried a little experiment and that was to post to COLA making certain to agree with the usual morons like Schestowitz, [Homer], Terry Porter and so forth. I was very careful to make certain that I did not set them off by posting controversial information. IOW I became a COLA "Stepford wife" for a week or so. It was extremely difficult to accomplish because the list of so called Linux "advocates", at least that is what they call themselves, is small in number but high on their own special form of bullshit. Then *ON PURPOSE* , that part is important for those who like to...

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity #2
[...]

the new computer -os-linux+advocacy in 2008
gwedfw edhklsc jfdh fefgh n http://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g924418-pmem ...

Are Linux Lusers Really Displaced Locksmiths? (Foley Belsaw School of Linux Advocacy)
Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for Locksmith lusers? If not, they should! It could be a real money maker IMHO. On Thursday 22 September 2005 00:11 Lisa Cottmann wrote: > Does Foley Belsaw Nono Susan - I'm sure Foley doesn't cross post. Please stop, silly girl. Bill "Lisa Cottmann" <lisa_cottmann@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1127344265.713851.255270@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for > Locksmith lusers? > > If not, they should! > > It coul...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

20 years of Linux Advocacy, who are those self anointed Linux "advocates"?
Most lies told: Roy "Spammer" Spamowitz (10 ahead of Liarmutt) Rudest poster: Peter K�hlmann (called people "retards" 289 times/ "idiot' 512 times), <Tattoo Vampire just has to try harder!> Thickest poster: (W)Ron(g)B (awarded for life btw as obviously no one is ever going to pip him). Pettiest "Net Nanny" and most pursing of lips: Willy "Filters" Boaster, ex aequo chrisv / HPT Poster most liable to send you to sleep: Rex Ballard Most incomprehensible poster: Jebbediah Biggest "it's ok to steal things" GPL offender: Andrew "I have a degree" Halliwell Poster most up his own arse: Mark Kent Most paranoid clown: [Homer] Most useless poster (20 gigabytes of other peoples work) : High Plains Rafael/Thumper/Wendy. Poster most likely to be put in a strait jacket and carted off : 7. Lifetime stupidity award: Terry Telnet and Gortard (hard to decide who's the biggest cretin.) -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.h...

The Linux Advocacy Bible
This group,comp.os.linux.advocacy, has become an absolute farce and is nothing more than a troll infested flame fest with little or no advocacy taking place. It seems that the so called Linux advocates, if there even is such a thing in COLA, are following the same script day in and day out. Here is what passes for advocacy in COLA. 1.The distribution switcheroo. If a person has troubles with Mandrake, suggest SuSE. If troubles with SuSE suggest Redhat and on and on. It;'s a never ending battle. 2. The dependency switcheroo. If a person has dependency problems with Mandrake suggest...

Linux Advocacy Opportunity.
Hi. First off, I'd like to thank the Italians for supplying us a great free news server. My condolences to you on these sad days of mourning for the Pope. Linux advocates, I am presenting you an opportunity for true Linux advocacy. Visit the newsgroups "microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion", and "microsoft.public.vsnet.general". Here you will find a thread, in which grown developers almost weep because due to the loss of VB. They drop tears knowing they now, collectively, have millions of new legacy VB code in the world. If there was ever an opportunity to switc...

why does linux need advocacy?
Hi cheerleaders, Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need cheerleading. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > Hi cheerleaders, > > Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need > cheerleading. What's your point? -- rapskat - 18:58:47 up 15:17, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.22 I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert. On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > >> Hi cheerleaders, >> >> Hackers do wh...

Linux advocacy leaflets
Hi. Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to Gnu/Linux/Free software? Joeboy wrote: > Hi. > > Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to > Gnu/Linux/Free software? Create you own. -- A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated. -(iAn)- wrote: > Joeboy wrote: > >> Hi. >> >> Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to >> Gnu/Linux/Free software? > > Create you own. The typical Linonut ...

A bit of Linux Advocacy...
And by "a bit", i mean a small amount. I just spent 3 days struggling with getting Ubuntu 7.10 installed and functioning correctly on a pretty run-of-the-mill configuration. Core 2 Duo E6300 MSI P965 Neo-F Motherboard 4GB DDR2 160GB SATA Drive nVidia GeForce 7100 GS 256MB (dual head) USB Speakers USB Keyboard/Mouse 1 Gateway FPD2485W 24" Moniotr (1920x1200) 1 Acer AL1917W 19" Monitor (1440x900) Let's start from the beginning. Everything went smooth with the download and burning of the CD. So, I put the CD in the drive and booted up to a nice Ubuntu boot menu. I ...

Real Linux advocacy
While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux advocacy. When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux Steunpunt Maastricht. http://linux.compusers.nl/ Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux, *especially* next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems in *their* use." (Windows & Linux). -- comp.os.linux.advocacy, COLA, (it's close with COLON) widely known as "The rectum of usenet". Clog_-_wog (�) wrote: > While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds > of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a > few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the > members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA > for Linux advocacy. My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games, and Unix at work, pretty much agrees with that statement. I remember asking him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from where most advocates came from in COLA. I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the simplest ...

Request for Linux Advocacy
I have been reading and posting in COLA for a bit... and I have been honest about my background and my views: * I know OS X and XP very well... and prefer OS X * I have worked some with Linux, especially Ubuntu, and find that while it has some advantages I still believe OS X serves many, if not most, users better I have stated my reasons - or at least some of them - for my views, and I have asked others to *advocate* for Linux: to state what distro would fit requirements I have found help new and non-techy users *or* list things I did not think of that would help this group. For the most part I got very weak answers, though the concepts of price, ease of software install through repositories, and choice were mentioned (and maybe some others: those were the main ones but I would have to check to make sure I did not leave out anyone's pet feature). Price and software repositories seem pretty clear - even though OS X does link to its own software site that allows for pretty easy access to a great deal of software. Choice, on the other hand, does not seem to be as easy to support... I have asked how this helps users and, frankly, the answers have been pretty weak. It seems to be much more of a philosophical "benefit" than any real benefit to the user - though, of course, there are both pros and cons to having more options. Overall, it seems at best to be a wash (though, of course, it depends on the exact needs!). Jamie Hart: I appreciate your comments eve...

Recipe for Linux Advocacy
Recipe for Linux Advocacy 1 16-oz can of sauerkraut. 1/4 lb broccoli, finely chopped. 1/4 lb cauliflower 1 cup of whole bran Boil the mixture until well cooked. Eat as much as you can with a large glass of prune juice. The next morning you will drop the largest smelliest most disgusting shit you have ever had. Name this disgusting nasty shit "chrisv" and congratulations - you have just created a "linux advocate." Make sure to flush twice. On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:40:53 -0400, Linux Solutions wrote: > Recipe for Linux Advocacy > > 1 16-oz can of sauerkraut. > 1/4 lb broccoli, finely chopped. > 1/4 lb cauliflower > 1 cup of whole bran > > Boil the mixture until well cooked. Eat as much as you can with a large > glass of prune juice. > > The next morning you will drop the largest smelliest most disgusting shit > you have ever had. > > Name this disgusting nasty shit "chrisv" and congratulations - you have just > created a "linux advocate." > > Make sure to flush twice. A friend of mine who used to work for the airlines as a pilot told me that there was a frequent flyer who used to do something like that, apparently. He would stink out the plane's lavatory so bad that the crew couldn't contain it. Apparently he flew a lot and became some kind of urban legend in the airline industry. They called him "the mad shitter" and nobod...

Linux advocacy is a joke
Just a quick stroll through any Linux discussion group will quickly leave the newbie with a feeling of hostility and arrogance. For some odd reason, maybe it's a social thing, Linux supporters seem to be among the most juvenile people on the face of the earth. It seems that the Linux users have 100+ different excuses to use when confronted with the obvious deficiencies of Linux as compared to better operating systems like Windows or OSX, which is real UNIX, not a sorry hack like Linux. So let us examine these typical responses for a few moments: 1. Call the person a troll. This one work...

Web resources about - Where is the Linux Advocacy? - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Advocacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advocacy is a political process by an individual or group which aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and ...

Advocacy Group To Facebook: Don’t Track Kids
As Facebook considers letting kids younger than 13 create accounts, the Center for Digital Democracy sent a letter to Co-Founder and CEO Mark ...

Open letter to Mark Zuckerberg on Net Neutrality advocacy in India
You have said that “connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation.” We all agree. We also believe that a connectivity ...

Extole raises $7.6M for social advocacy platform
... Developer Extole today announced that it has raised an additional $7.6 million in funding. Extole, which bills itself as a “social advocacy ...

PP Advocacy Fund MA (@PPAdvocacyMA) on Twitter

All sizes - Design thinking for advocacy - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

YouTube - Ross Mirkarimi ADA / Disability Rights / MOD / ADVOCACY ??? - SF Sheriff - 112712p6 (FINAL) ...
Veröffentlicht am 01.12.2012 So in the end after MUCH explanation, in addition to the CITY AGENCIES' EXPERTS attempt at "HANDLING" me and AFTER ...

Greens' advocacy forces other NSW parties to heed environment
Whichever party forms government after the NSW election, the Greens will be essential in both houses of the State Parliament if the environment ...

Australian advocacy ruined most arguments for a reprieve
&nbsp;I'm fairly unmoved by the executions of two Australian drug smugglers in Indonesia.

Catalyst host Maryanne Demasi in the business of advocacy, not journalism
The national broadcaster&rsquo;s science program fails the test for balance and objectivity.