why does linux need advocacy?

Hi cheerleaders,

Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
cheerleading.

0
topquarkk (8)

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote:

> Hi cheerleaders,
>
> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
> cheerleading.

What's your point?

--
rapskat -  18:58:47 up 15:17,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.22
	I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert.

0
rapskat2 (2033)
10/8/2005 10:58:59 PM
On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote:
>
>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>
>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>> cheerleading.
>
> What's your point?

sorry to have lost you on the irony
0
topquarkk (8)
10/8/2005 11:07:25 PM
Hackers also need to eat, and that means marketing.

0
stork (118)
10/8/2005 11:45:47 PM
Tell that to the Microsoft marketing machine.

On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:09, top quark stood up and spoke the
following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.advocacy...:/

> Hi cheerleaders,
>
> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
> cheerleading.

The word "hacker" as meaning a villain who uses his IT skills to break
into other people's computers is actually incorrect, although this
meaning to the word "hacker" is constantly being conveyed by the
(not-too-IT-savvy) media.

A hacker is basically someone who writes up or modifies code.  The
correct word to denotes the abovementioned fellon is "cracker".

Sorry for being pedantic, but I really hate how the media can start a
whole hype around a concept they don't even fully know the details of
themselves.

It's so... Microsoft-ish... :-�

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
0
stryder (1500)
10/9/2005 1:10:47 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, top quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote:
>>
>>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>>
>>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>>> cheerleading.
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> sorry to have lost you on the irony

test

--
Code is community.
0
On 2005-10-09, Aragorn <stryder@telenet.invalid> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:09, top quark stood up and spoke the
> following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.advocacy...:/
>
>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>
>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>> cheerleading.
>
> The word "hacker" as meaning a villain who uses his IT skills to break
> into other people's computers is actually incorrect, although this
> meaning to the word "hacker" is constantly being conveyed by the
> (not-too-IT-savvy) media.
>
> A hacker is basically someone who writes up or modifies code.  The
> correct word to denotes the abovementioned fellon is "cracker".
>
> Sorry for being pedantic, but I really hate how the media can start a
> whole hype around a concept they don't even fully know the details of
> themselves.
>
> It's so... Microsoft-ish... :-�

Pointing that out is really getting old.

Pull your head out your ass, dip shit. Read the original post again.
I said what I meant and I meant what I said.
0
topquarkk (8)
10/9/2005 4:43:13 PM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:07:25 +0000, top quark wrote:

> On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote:
>>
>>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>>
>>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>>> cheerleading.
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> sorry to have lost you on the irony

You seem to be the one lost, since you obviously have no clue what "irony"
is.  A tip:  Your OP had nothing ironic in it.

What I was saying is, what was the purpose of your post?  Are you the
official spokesperson for all self-proclaimed "hackers"?  What projects
have you worked on?

Just so you know, Advocacy is not "cheerleading", though they do share
some common traits such as supporting the home team.  Getting the word out
about Linux and OSS by people that are familiar and experienced with it is
a crucial aspect to how Linux has become as popular as it has.  For every
advance in Linux and OSS, someone somewhere had to tell someone else, and
that entails advocacy.  To disparage the advocacy of Linux is to forever
relegate it to the position of use mainly by geeks, hobbyists and
developers, like the BSD's.

The reason that we are all here posting in this group is because of Linux
advocacy.  We all had to hear about it from somewhere - from a friend,
co-worker, relative, aquaintance; maybe even a book, web site or
advertisement. It is some form of advocacy that made all of this possible
in the first place.

All of us have at some point advocated Linux and OSS to some extent.  If
you think about it, this was all started by the very first Linux Advocacy
post back on August 25 of 1991 to comp.os.minix by someone you may or may
not know, Linux Torvalds...

"From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) Newsgroups:
comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix? Summary: small poll for
my new operating system Message-ID:
<1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI> Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486)
AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get
ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my
OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to
practical reasons) among other things).
I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are
welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-) Linus
(torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It
is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will
support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(."

--
rapskat -  13:07:16 up 1 day,  9:25,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.02
        "cc:Mail is a wonderful application, as long as you don't want

0
rapskat2 (2033)
10/9/2005 5:28:05 PM
top quark wrote:

> Hi cheerleaders,
>
> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
> cheerleading.

To answer your question ... because it doesn't have the marketing dollars to
counter the FUD spread by Wintards and the Evil Empire. But mainly because
other computer users should be told there are alternatives to the
MickeyMouse toy "operating system" that puts power in the hands of the
end-user and offers real choice and freedom.

--
Windows is to GNU/Linux like Etch-a-Sketch is to Photoshop.
Feel the Windoze eXPerience: http://www.etch-a-sketch.com/

0
nostop (148)
10/9/2005 5:29:23 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, top quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Pull your head out your ass, dip shit. Read the original post again.
> I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

Charmed, I'm sure, top quark.

--
Code is community.
0
following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.advocacy...:/

> On 2005-10-09, Aragorn <stryder@telenet.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:09, top quark stood up and spoke the
>> following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.advocacy...:/
>>
>>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>>
>>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>>> cheerleading.
>>
>> The word "hacker" as meaning a villain who uses his IT skills to
>> break into other people's computers is actually incorrect, although
>> this meaning to the word "hacker" is constantly being conveyed by the
>> (not-too-IT-savvy) media.
>>
>> A hacker is basically someone who writes up or modifies code.  The
>> correct word to denotes the abovementioned fellon is "cracker".
>>
>> Sorry for being pedantic, but I really hate how the media can start a
>> whole hype around a concept they don't even fully know the details of
>> themselves.
>>
>> It's so... Microsoft-ish... :-�
>>

> Pointing that out is really getting old.
>
> Pull your head out your ass, dip shit. Read the original post again.
> I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

I did apologize for being pedantic, but the mistake is all too commonly
made, which is why I felt I needed to make it clear.

The original post you referred to only contained one and a half line of
text from you.  I did not see any other posts in the thread, and you
hadn't bothered to include any quotes in your post.

The above all said, I don't think anything I wrote warrants the rudeness
in your reply.  I don't care whether you're a Gnu/Linux advocate or
not, but common decency and the Netiquette both require politeness.

I therefore feel that your arrogance and your Tourette Syndrome totally
match the wallpaper in my /killfile./  Which is where you're going.

Say "hi" to the other lamers!

        *<plonk>*

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
0
stryder (1500)
10/9/2005 6:00:43 PM
top quark wrote:

> Hi cheerleaders,
>
> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
> cheerleading.

A large part of organized hacking is done by windope
hackers with in depth knowledge of windope APIs and
their weaknesses.

It takes years of confusion and hacking in the wilderness
to become a windope bastard hacker. But there is a lot
of money out there now for them to put all that asside
and just get on with it.

>  Windows is to GNU/Linux like Etch-a-Sketch is to Photoshop.

I agree completely with the above.  *However*, the day I see Adobe
Photoshop and Illustrator, etc. and even Acrobat running  properly on
Linux, that will be the day in which Linux-on-the-desktop is here to
stay.

-RFH

0
ramon (1518)
10/9/2005 8:58:56 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, 7 belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> top quark wrote:
>
>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>
>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>> cheerleading.
>
> A large part of organized hacking is done by windope
> hackers with in depth knowledge of windope APIs and
> their weaknesses.
>
> It takes years of confusion and hacking in the wilderness
> to become a windope bastard hacker. But there is a lot
> of money out there now for them to put all that asside
> and just get on with it.

Sometimes you don't even need to know anything.  Just apply some
judicious fuzz testing.

--
Code is community.
0

>>  Windows is to GNU/Linux like Etch-a-Sketch is to Photoshop.
>
> I agree completely with the above.  *However*, the day I see Adobe
> Photoshop and Illustrator, etc. and even Acrobat running  properly on
> Linux, that will be the day in which Linux-on-the-desktop is here to
> stay.

Illustrator I can see (maybe, since I don't know much about it).  But
Photoshop?  GIMP and other tools run fine, and Disney runs Photoshop
with wine.  Acrobat!?  What bloat!!!  It's xpdf (even on Windows) for
me.  And gv too.

--
Code is community.
0
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:11:23 +0000, 7 wrote:

> top quark wrote:
>
>> Hi cheerleaders,
>>
>> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
>> cheerleading.
>
> A large part of organized hacking is done by windope
> hackers with in depth knowledge of windope APIs and
> their weaknesses.
>
> It takes years of confusion and hacking in the wilderness
> to become a windope bastard hacker. But there is a lot
> of money out there now for them to put all that asside
> and just get on with it.

You act like you are 10 years old, reposting articles and changing the
subjects.
Why don't you grow up already?

0
chef1912 (5)
10/10/2005 4:49:42 AM
rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote in

> top quark wrote:
>> rapskat wrote:

>>> What's your point?
>>
>> sorry to have lost you on the irony
>
> You seem to be the one lost, since you obviously have no clue what
> "irony" is.  A tip:  Your OP had nothing ironic in it.
>
> What I was saying is, what was the purpose of your post?  Are you the
> official spokesperson for all self-proclaimed "hackers"?  What <SNIP>

When someone puts out an ambiguous but short statement then flames
responders he's trolling.  Why waste your time answering?  Best reply is
by killfile.  Just my 2-cents.

--
HPT
0
rapskat wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:07:25 +0000, top quark wrote:

>>>What's your point?
>>
>>sorry to have lost you on the irony
>

> You seem to be the one lost, since you obviously have no clue what "irony"
> is.  A tip:  Your OP had nothing ironic in it.
>
> What I was saying is, what was the purpose of your post?  Are you the
> official spokesperson for all self-proclaimed "hackers"?  What projects
> have you worked on?
>
> Just so you know, Advocacy is not "cheerleading", though they do share
> some common traits such as supporting the home team.  Getting the word out
> about Linux and OSS by people that are familiar and experienced with it is
> a crucial aspect to how Linux has become as popular as it has.  For every
> advance in Linux and OSS, someone somewhere had to tell someone else, and
> that entails advocacy.  To disparage the advocacy of Linux is to forever
> relegate it to the position of use mainly by geeks, hobbyists and
> developers, like the BSD's.

Seems to me (and many others as well) that the reason for Linux'
popularity, among other things, was the lawsuit brought against Berkeley
by AT&T in the early 90's, which scared many potential BSD users away.
Linux was allowed to gain momentum.  Pretty much that's all Linux
needed. But I'm certainly not bitter.  I still need to get ACPI working
fully under both BSD and Linux, as the ACPI code was contributed to both
projects by Intel.  Both BSD and Linux will run the same software, so
either OS is fine by me.  Both rely more heavily on contributions from
developers and community users in order to function and grow.  The
developer team structure for both is different (Cathedral vs. Bazaar).
True, development of BSD is more closed than Linux, but not much different.

As long as I'm not running Windows, I'm happy.  And I think that's not
so much a slam against Windows as it is a preference.  I do mention open
 source OSes and softwares to the class I teach.  I'll have students
ask:  "how did you do that circuit diagram"?  My response would be:
"xfig".  "What's xfig"?  Same with other software, such as LaTeX and
GNUPlot.  Then I have to explain was Linux is.  So, I do some
advocating.  "Real" advocates don't post here, as there are nothing but
trolls.  It's preaching to the choir and to trolls.  I usually don't
mention BSD at all, because it's so similar to Linux.  If I do, I just
simply mention that it's the same thing, only different.  And if they
can find their way to Linux, they can eventually make their way to the
BSD's.  They and many others use both happily.  BTW, I think your
assessment of BSD is incorrect.  I believe that it's being used widely,
but the people using it tend to be quieter.  Different kinds of OS for
different folks.  At least it runs the same software, is secure, and
isn't Windows.  And competition is good.  And I still strongly dislike
word processors and most proprietary software, unless it's worth paying
for, which is few and far between.  I hate Averatec keyboards. :-)

hackr_d (694)
10/10/2005 9:44:40 AM
--
PeKaJe

we:
	The single most important word in the world.
0
usenet21 (2482)
10/10/2005 11:58:26 AM
Lin�nut wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, top quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>What's your point?
>>
>>sorry to have lost you on the irony
>

> test
I think that was the most valuable post ever made on this NG.
0
theletterk3 (2489)
10/10/2005 5:00:44 PM

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
0
warlock (9522)
10/10/2005 6:38:05 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, TheLetterK
<theletterk@spymac.nosppam.com>
 wrote
on Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:00:44 -0400
<45x2f.5116$Yl.38@bignews4.bellsouth.net>:
> Lin�nut wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, top quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>sorry to have lost you on the irony
>>

>> test
> I think that was the most valuable post ever made on this NG.

Debatable, but I've seen worse. :-)  Certainly it's preferable to,
say, a plonk cascade or a pair of trolls trying to out-insult
each other.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill5 (11075)
10/10/2005 7:00:06 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> I've grown to like Evince, the GNOME doc viewer. It's not as fast as
> xpdf, but it has some nice features, better UI, and is plenty fast
> enough. Although I do have some marine nav charts that are very large,
> and in pdf format, and for them, Evince is unacceptably slow to start.
> Xpdf is much better for that.

Dang.  Evince is masked in Gentoo.  I'll check out Debian when I get a
chance.

Interesting -- the link between xpdf, the poppler renderer, and
freedesktop.

--
Code is community.
0
top quark wrote:
> Hi cheerleaders,
>
> Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need
> cheerleading.

I advocate in order to learn.

As an early adopter I find information faster and can make decisions as
a professional and as an investor by reading and writing in COLA.

0
jabailo (8241)
10/10/2005 8:37:42 PM
High Plains Thumper wrote:
> rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>>top quark wrote:

>>>sorry to have lost you on the irony
>>
>>You seem to be the one lost, since you obviously have no clue what
>>"irony" is.  A tip:  Your OP had nothing ironic in it.
>>
>>What I was saying is, what was the purpose of your post?  Are you the
>>official spokesperson for all self-proclaimed "hackers"?  What <SNIP>
>

> When someone puts out an ambiguous but short statement then flames
> responders he's trolling.  Why waste your time answering?  Best reply is
> by killfile.  Just my 2-cents.

Can you imagine if Bill Walker were to find his way into this group?

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer

My website:
http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm

Check out:
http://www.iuoe882.com/

[Bob@S01060050046f293e Desktop]$ emacs signature

Today's posting is brought to you by:

The numbers 0 & 1, Fedora Core 4 and Mozilla Thunderbird.

The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a
mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the
knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving
engineering problems.
     N. W. Dougherty, 1955
0
bobbie4 (147)
10/11/2005 4:19:53 AM
Bobbie Gill <bobbie4@shaw.ca> wrote in

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> rapskat wrote:

>>>You seem to be the one lost, since you obviously have no clue what
>>>"irony" is.  A tip:  Your OP had nothing ironic in it.
>>>
>>>What I was saying is, what was the purpose of your post?  Are you the
>>>official spokesperson for all self-proclaimed "hackers"?  What <SNIP>
>>
>> When someone puts out an ambiguous but short statement then flames
>> responders he's trolling.  Why waste your time answering?  Best reply
>> is by killfile.  Just my 2-cents.
>
> Can you imagine if Bill Walker were to find his way into this group?

Shhhhh!  (He might be listening.)    :)

Is he smart enough to understand Linux, let alone winders?

--
HPT
0
High Plains Thumper wrote:
> Bobbie Gill <bobbie4@shaw.ca> wrote in
>

>>High Plains Thumper wrote:

>>>When someone puts out an ambiguous but short statement then flames
>>>responders he's trolling.  Why waste your time answering?  Best reply
>>>is by killfile.  Just my 2-cents.
>>
>>Can you imagine if Bill Walker were to find his way into this group?
>

> Shhhhh!  (He might be listening.)    :)
>
> Is he smart enough to understand Linux, let alone winders?

Nice thing about this group is the apparent lack of web-tv'ers.

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer

My website:
http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm

Check out:
http://www.iuoe882.com/

[Bob@S01060050046f293e Desktop]$ emacs signature

Today's posting is brought to you by:

The numbers 0 & 1, Fedora Core 4 and Mozilla Thunderbird.

The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a
mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the
knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving
engineering problems.
     N. W. Dougherty, 1955
0
bobbie4 (147)
10/12/2005 11:44:41 PM

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Bobbie Gill wrote:

>>> Can you imagine if Bill Walker were to find his way into this group?
>>

>> Shhhhh!  (He might be listening.)    :)
>>
>> Is he smart enough to understand Linux, let alone winders?
>
> Nice thing about this group is the apparent lack of web-tv'ers.

True, although we have our share of flamers and trolls, but so far
nothing like on Reeky.

--
HPT
0