Why people should stop using IE

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

http://www.itworld.com/security/93253/who-cares-if-ie-patched-soon

Because Microsoft only patches bugs which:

- are publicly known
- for which working exploit code exists
- is being exploited on a massive scale
- people start to jump ship towards other browsers

Most importantly: Microsoft IGNORES all other bugs and security
exploits if they are used on a 'limited' scale. For most bugs they'll
tell you to switch to a new, safer Windows (please buy a new computer
too) and install a newer version of IE.

There are more than likely hundreds of potential security bugs in IE
which aren't patched and which hackers may or may not know about. Large
U.S. companies and defense contractors are learning that they are
beseiged by hackers almost on a daily basis using zero day holes in
both IE and Adobe Acrobat Reader and Flash software. I suspect that the
hackers (the Chinese government) are using these zero day holes
aparingly opting for massive simultaneours breakins before the holes
are patched. That's why we see waves and waves of attacks targetting
U.S. multinationals and defense contractors.

The bottom line is: Windows and Internet Explorer simply can't be
trusted anymore and the U.S. government should publicly advise that
people need to move towards Linux and Firefox. I suspect that this will
happen this year (in 2010).

0
Reply Non 1/20/2010 9:58:38 PM

See related articles to this posting

Non scrivetemi pulled this Usenet boner:

> http://www.itworld.com/security/93253/who-cares-if-ie-patched-soon
>
> The bottom line is: Windows and Internet Explorer simply can't be
> trusted anymore and the U.S. government should publicly advise that
> people need to move towards Linux and Firefox. I suspect that this will
> happen this year (in 2010).

It already happened (in 2004):

   http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3374931

   US-CERT: Beware of IE

   The U.S. government's cybersecurity unit recommends ditching Internet
   Explorer in favor of other, safer browsers.

   June 29, 2004

--
You get along very well with everyone except animals and people.
0

0
Reply Roy 1/21/2010 4:59:12 PM

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>It already happened (in 2004):
>[...]June 29, 2004

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878
That was actually CERT's second time putting out the advisory.
(The second time included a bit more detail.)[1]
The first advisory was April 5, 2004.
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/323070
..
..
[1] The fallout from a conjunction of an IE vulnerability
and an IIS vulnerability
was actually covered by the corporate news outlets.
When your crap makes the national TeeVee news,
it's obvious that you screwed up massively.
0
Reply JeffM 1/21/2010 7:04:06 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117910 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Script to help stop people using bandwidth
Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that the same user doesn't pound my site and use all of my bandwidth? Any help would be appreciated.. Hoops hu kiteb: > Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that > the same user doesn't pound my site and use all of my bandwidth? Javascript cant do that. -- -- Fabian Visit my website often and for long periods! http://www.lajzar.co.uk Hoops wrote: > Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that > the same user doesn't pound my site and use all o...

Micrsoft stole the software they used to stop people stealing Windows!
And now Microthievery have to pay up to the tune of $500 Million! Anyone would think flatfish ran Microsoft based on their stealing SOP. http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2666148.htm begin{quote} .... RIC RICHARDSON: Going to the United States there was an opportunity to work with a few companies to licence out Uniloc technology and so we were quite a successful as a licensee then. In the early 2000s, I started to suspect that our patent was being infringed. STEVE COX, FRIEND: On one of our trips through LA Ric told me that it looks like Microsoft had been using our technolog...

[News] Microsoft Fabrications Used to Stop DRM From Being Unlocked (and People Owning Their Data)
Microsoft Sues The Makers Of FairUse4WM ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is suing for copyright infringement, based on the fact | that FairUse4WM uses code from Windows Media software development kitv | ersion 9.5. The company claims that the FairUse4WM software is | responsible for over $75,000 in losses and seeks a permanent | injunction against the defendants and compensation. `---- http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Microsoft-Sues-The-Makers-Of--FairUse4WM_2063.html Background: Microsoft sues over source code theft ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has filed a federal lawsuit against an alleged hac...

People continue to use Windows 98 despite MS's request they stop.
Attention all Wintrolls! Attention all Wintrolls! MS has ORDERED YOU to stop using MS Windows 98. That is an ORDER! And ORDER FROM THE HIGH COMMAND! CEASE USING WINDOWS 98 IMMEDIATELY! http://slashdot.org/articles/03/12/13/149235.shtml?tid=109&tid=185&tid=187&tid=190&tid=201 Signed. Field Marshal Bill Gates. In article <pan.2003.12.13.20.10.55.130908@neitherland.org>, opus wrote: > Attention all Wintrolls! > > Attention all Wintrolls! > > MS has ORDERED YOU to stop using MS Windows 98. > > That is an ORDER! And ORDER FROM THE HIGH COMM...

On Vista, IE stops working when using multiple windows (opening popups) after a certain amount of time
http://groups.google.com/group/windows-vista/browse_frm/thread/a8da037461894229 <quote> I recently got a new computer with windows Vista. I don't think the problem is with IE (i have the new version) because this didn't happen on my old computer with XP. I sometimes open about 5 or 6 tabs. Java is used a little bit as well. After a while, I try to open certain windows that 'pop up' and won't work. Either a white window will come up, or nothing will happen at all. I believe that I can still search other parts of the internet when this happens, I just can't o...

why so many people use Matlab and much fewer people use Mathematica?
I tested the speed of Matlab 6.5 and Mathematica 8.0, Matlab used 4500 seconds to execute the program and mathematica used 6000 seconds, it seems the difference between Matlab and mathematica is not big, why so many people use Matlab and much fewer people use Mathematica? On 2/20/2012 6:09 AM, Liwen Zhang wrote: > I tested the speed of Matlab 6.5 and Mathematica 8.0, Matlab used 4500 > seconds to execute the program and mathematica used 6000 seconds, it > seems the difference between Matlab and mathematica is not big, why so > many people use Matlab and much fewer people use M...

How many people use or used Lisp?
How many people use Lisp (all dialects combined) today? My guess: 3000, based on the membership on various Lisp forums. Anyone with better guess? When Lisp was the most popular, in relative or absolute numbers? How many people used it at that time? -- Kazimir Majorinc kazimir at chem pmf hr http://kazimirmajorinc.blogspot.com Kazimir Majorinc <email@false.false> writes: > How many people use Lisp (all dialects > combined) today? My guess: 3000, based > on the membership on various Lisp forums. > Anyone with better guess? 30,000,000? (Could easily be an order of magnitu...

How to stop a thread without using stop()
There is a thread which calls just ONE METHOD. The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more than 10minutes. I have to stop if the thread work for more than 10 secs and I don't have the source of the method - but, I have to use the method. Thread.stop() method is deprecated.. So, I tried using interrupt() method, but it did not work. Then how can the thread be stopped without using stop() ?? Thank you. -- ** Son KwonNam Please DO NOT reply to this message's email address. The address is fake. Son KwonNam wrote: > The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more th...

Cannot send mail using Yahoo using IE
Cannot send mail using Yahoo using IE I have the latest IE I do not know why this is happening. None of the tabs seems to work...like save draft, send, spell check in Yahoo mail using IE. I can Netscape and I can send mail using Yahoo. But I need to use IE because Yahoo has an advanced editor -Color, graphics, fonts, bold etc only on IE Yahoo does not offer the color and graphics feature for Netscape browsers. can anyone help ? Thanks Lynn ...

A useful tip for people who use commandchars with fancyvrb
I apoligize in advance if this is published elsewhere, but its too useful for me not to speak about. I use fancyverb extensively in my lab manual for a network management course, for documenting commandline stuff. I have written a program (called scrim, released soon), that captures (much like the script command, but better) the input and output, then filter it into a chosen markup language (such as fancyverb). To cut a not-so-long story stort, its very difficult to find a keyboard character that you can use for commandchars that isn't likely to show up in what you're showing. I stu...

A good reason to use not use Windows / IE
A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn site came up. I closed IE and opened a new one and found I had a porn search toolbar without being asked. I ran ad-aware and removed it. Well on Sat my wife found her google toolbar turned off and a search toolbar installed and her home page changed to srch.lop.com. Looking through her browser history the only site she visited was 1800contacts, I browsed their site a bit with the popup stopper in Mozilla turned off but I never received a popup of any kind so I don't know where the search bar came from. I had ...

Do people who use Ada also use ocaml or F#?
Hi, I have always found the type system of Ada to be beautiful. I, however, have not been programming in Ada since 2004. I have chosen languages that support generics because quite frankly after learning Ada, any statically typed language that does not support generics is not a suitable language for developing anything of substance. A friend of mine (who also learn Ada at university and liked it) introduced me to ocaml (for which I learned F#), which also has a beautiful type system. I am love the elegance of static typing without explicit type declarations, but I still linger with the de...

Can I charge people to use a website that uses MySQL? (GPL)
Hi, I am in the middle of writing a site that uses MySQL and PHP. I plan on charging people for using the services offered by the site. I am a little unclear as to how the GPL licensing that MySQL uses relates to this? PHP presumably links to the MySQL libraries, but I am not selling the PHP software I have written itself, but rather the output it produces (ie the web site). lister wrote: > Hi, > > I am in the middle of writing a site that uses MySQL and PHP. I plan > on charging people for using the services offered by the site. > > I am a little unclear as to how the GP...

stopping people
how do you stop people that have worked for you using a e/mail address that they have recived from a charity. I am a trusttee and would like to know how to stop people that work for us using there e/mail after they stop working . I am sure there should be a way to stop them but how ? colin_uk99 wrote: > how do you stop people that have worked for you using a e/mail > address that they have recived from a charity. > I am a trusttee and would like to know how to stop people that work > for us using there e/mail after they stop working . > I am sure there should be a way t...

Showing dialog box on applet.stop() stops IE from working.
Hi, I have an applet where I display a confirmation dialog when the user clicks on a link that takes them to a different page. In mozilla it works fine. IE basically locks up after the dialog box is clicked. The IE window can't seem to get focus after that. I click on it, click on other windows and then the IE window, nothing seems to work. IE doesn't seem to be locked up completely because it never goes to the "Not responding..." state in the task manager. My theory is that the applet/JVM still has input focus and that focus is never given back to IE. Has anyone seen...

need to clear cookies in IE using perl Win 32 IE automation
hi there, i am beginer in perl and i need to clear IE cookies and temporary internet files before i call goto URl to access my application url. how can i clear cookies and temp internet files? thanks vishwanath vish.chitnis@gmail.com wrote: > hi there, > > i am beginer in perl and i need to clear IE cookies and temporary > internet files before i call goto URl to access my application url. how > can i clear cookies and temp internet files? > I have no idea what calling goto URI is, but the fastest way I can think of to clear the cache would be to just delete everything...

Functional Programing: stop using recursion, cons. Use map & vectors
this is important but i think most lispers and functional programers still don't know it. Functional Programing: stop using recursion, cons. Use map & vectors. =E3=80=88Guy Steele on Parallel Programing=E3=80=89 http://xahlee.org/comp/Guy_Steele_parallel_computing.html btw, lists (as cons, car, cdr) in the lisp world has always been some kinda cult. Like, if you are showing some code example and you happened to use lisp vector datatype and not cons (lists) and it doesn't really matter in your case, but some lisper will always rise up to bug you, either as innocent curious quest...

Using MS's viewer (IE) changes text size in IE
I normally use Eudora's internal HTML viewer for viewing formatted emails (I think it's less susceptible to viruses and spywear, but I don't know if my feelings are justified). Occasionally, I'll need to switch to using MS's viewer to view a message that doesn't render properly, then I'll switch back (view Options > Viewing Mail) to Eudora's viewer. The next time I use IE for browsing, I find my text size has been switched from the default of Medium to Small. I assume this is because I have my Eudora options set to use the "smallest&qu...

More people use Apple Macs than you think; 8-12 percent of homes use Macs
From Macdaily news. http://tinyurl.com/6homm Yeah, the win-nuts will say it's a Mac site and thus biased, however it references where the numbers came from... -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" Jim Polaski wrote: > From Macdaily news. > > http://tinyurl.com/6homm > > Yeah, the win-nuts will say it's a Mac site and thus biased, however it > references where the numbers came from... No it doesn't. Neither link leads to anything. In article <1111193222.615150.148660@z1...

Create Run And Stop Buttons on Front Panel, rather than using the toolbar run/stop
I would like to make my vi more user friendly by creating start and stop buttons on the front panel. I havent found much info on how to create them. I have created a boolean stop button to stop my FOR LOOP. -Chris Creating the buttons is easy - just select the style you want from the Boolean palette. What you need to do is change your diagram and the VI properties. To have a VI automatically start running when opened, open VI Properties by selecting that under the File menu or right clicking the VI's icon. Select Execution and check the Run when opened box. If you need the user to ente...

Unusual situation: Zire 72 Needs IE, I don't use IE
Probably a long shot. I doubt there are many people who are dealing with this situation but here goes. I run a custom XP setup on all my systems with the IE core files removed using an application called nLite from: http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html The lack of IE has never been an issue until I purchased a new Zire 72 yesterday. Hotsync works fine but I cannot run the Palm Desktop without IE installed. By the way, it doesn't mention the IE requirement on the box or in the PDA user guide. I only found out after the problem arose and did some searching on the Palm support page...

What is the best way to manage programs on SD card? What software do people use to use programs from their SD card?
What is the best way to manage programs on SD card? What software do people use to use programs from their SD card? Thanks Tracy On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:09:01 GMT, "Tracy Smith" <tracystyle@hotmail.com> proclaimed: >What is the best way to manage programs on SD card? What software do people >use to use programs from their SD card? Thanks Tracy > LauncherX works fine if you only want to put the actual programs on card. PowerRun, on the other hand, will allow you to put both program and data on the card. -- I will jump five hundred feet into block of...

Timed Loop sometimes doesn't restart correctly if stopped using Stop Timed Structure VI
I'm using&nbsp;a Timed Loop whose period I want to be able to vary dynamically, and quickly. For example, if the period is one minute and I want to change it to one second, I don't want the loop to wait for the remainder of the minute before changing the period to one second. &nbsp; I attempted this&nbsp;using a Timed Loop within a While Loop. A second thread invoked the Stop Timed Structure VI when the period control's value&nbsp;changed. This would cause the Timed Loop to stop, then restart using the new period. &nbsp; This doesn't always work. Enclosed (a...

Firefox use is 4x that of IE, GNU/Linux use is 4x Vista, 1/2 of all Windows OSes on my new website!!
The crawlers are starting to read my new website now, and hits are increasing a lot. Windows OS = 64.1 %, Linux = 29.7 %, almost HALF of all Windows OSes, and THREE time that of Vista! IE = 13.8%, .... few use it thesedays, who can blame them ? Operating Systems Versions Hits Percent Windows 16494 64.1 % Windows XP 12612 49 % Windows NT 64 0.2 % Windows Vista (LongHorn) 2834 11 % Windows 98 31 0.1 % Windows 2008 368 1.4 % Windows 2003 273 1 % ...