Why people should stop using IE

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

http://www.itworld.com/security/93253/who-cares-if-ie-patched-soon

Because Microsoft only patches bugs which:

- are publicly known
- for which working exploit code exists
- is being exploited on a massive scale
- people start to jump ship towards other browsers

Most importantly: Microsoft IGNORES all other bugs and security
exploits if they are used on a 'limited' scale. For most bugs they'll
tell you to switch to a new, safer Windows (please buy a new computer
too) and install a newer version of IE.

There are more than likely hundreds of potential security bugs in IE
which aren't patched and which hackers may or may not know about. Large
U.S. companies and defense contractors are learning that they are
beseiged by hackers almost on a daily basis using zero day holes in
both IE and Adobe Acrobat Reader and Flash software. I suspect that the
hackers (the Chinese government) are using these zero day holes
aparingly opting for massive simultaneours breakins before the holes
are patched. That's why we see waves and waves of attacks targetting
U.S. multinationals and defense contractors.

The bottom line is: Windows and Internet Explorer simply can't be
trusted anymore and the U.S. government should publicly advise that
people need to move towards Linux and Firefox. I suspect that this will
happen this year (in 2010).

0
Reply Non 1/20/2010 9:58:38 PM

See related articles to this posting

Non scrivetemi pulled this Usenet boner:

> http://www.itworld.com/security/93253/who-cares-if-ie-patched-soon
>
> The bottom line is: Windows and Internet Explorer simply can't be
> trusted anymore and the U.S. government should publicly advise that
> people need to move towards Linux and Firefox. I suspect that this will
> happen this year (in 2010).

It already happened (in 2004):

   http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3374931

   US-CERT: Beware of IE

   The U.S. government's cybersecurity unit recommends ditching Internet
   Explorer in favor of other, safer browsers.

   June 29, 2004

--
You get along very well with everyone except animals and people.
0

0
Reply Roy 1/21/2010 4:59:12 PM

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>It already happened (in 2004):
>[...]June 29, 2004

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878
That was actually CERT's second time putting out the advisory.
(The second time included a bit more detail.)[1]
The first advisory was April 5, 2004.
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/323070
..
..
[1] The fallout from a conjunction of an IE vulnerability
and an IIS vulnerability
was actually covered by the corporate news outlets.
When your crap makes the national TeeVee news,
it's obvious that you screwed up massively.
0
Reply JeffM 1/21/2010 7:04:06 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117217 articles. 8 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Script to help stop people using bandwidth
Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that the same user doesn't pound my site and use all of my bandwidth? Any help would be appreciated.. Hoops hu kiteb: > Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that > the same user doesn't pound my site and use all of my bandwidth? Javascript cant do that. -- -- Fabian Visit my website often and for long periods! http://www.lajzar.co.uk Hoops wrote: > Does anyone have a good java script that I can add to my page so that > the same user doesn't pound my site and use all o...

Micrsoft stole the software they used to stop people stealing Windows!
And now Microthievery have to pay up to the tune of $500 Million! Anyone would think flatfish ran Microsoft based on their stealing SOP. http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2666148.htm begin{quote} .... RIC RICHARDSON: Going to the United States there was an opportunity to work with a few companies to licence out Uniloc technology and so we were quite a successful as a licensee then. In the early 2000s, I started to suspect that our patent was being infringed. STEVE COX, FRIEND: On one of our trips through LA Ric told me that it looks like Microsoft had been using our technolog...

[News] Microsoft Fabrications Used to Stop DRM From Being Unlocked (and People Owning Their Data)
Microsoft Sues The Makers Of FairUse4WM ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is suing for copyright infringement, based on the fact | that FairUse4WM uses code from Windows Media software development kitv | ersion 9.5. The company claims that the FairUse4WM software is | responsible for over $75,000 in losses and seeks a permanent | injunction against the defendants and compensation. `---- http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Microsoft-Sues-The-Makers-Of--FairUse4WM_2063.html Background: Microsoft sues over source code theft ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has filed a federal lawsuit against an alleged hac...

People continue to use Windows 98 despite MS's request they stop.
Attention all Wintrolls! Attention all Wintrolls! MS has ORDERED YOU to stop using MS Windows 98. That is an ORDER! And ORDER FROM THE HIGH COMMAND! CEASE USING WINDOWS 98 IMMEDIATELY! http://slashdot.org/articles/03/12/13/149235.shtml?tid=109&tid=185&tid=187&tid=190&tid=201 Signed. Field Marshal Bill Gates. In article <pan.2003.12.13.20.10.55.130908@neitherland.org>, opus wrote: > Attention all Wintrolls! > > Attention all Wintrolls! > > MS has ORDERED YOU to stop using MS Windows 98. > > That is an ORDER! And ORDER FROM THE HIGH COMM...

On Vista, IE stops working when using multiple windows (opening popups) after a certain amount of time
http://groups.google.com/group/windows-vista/browse_frm/thread/a8da037461894229 <quote> I recently got a new computer with windows Vista. I don't think the problem is with IE (i have the new version) because this didn't happen on my old computer with XP. I sometimes open about 5 or 6 tabs. Java is used a little bit as well. After a while, I try to open certain windows that 'pop up' and won't work. Either a white window will come up, or nothing will happen at all. I believe that I can still search other parts of the internet when this happens, I just can't o...

why so many people use Matlab and much fewer people use Mathematica?
I tested the speed of Matlab 6.5 and Mathematica 8.0, Matlab used 4500 seconds to execute the program and mathematica used 6000 seconds, it seems the difference between Matlab and mathematica is not big, why so many people use Matlab and much fewer people use Mathematica? On 2/20/2012 6:09 AM, Liwen Zhang wrote: > I tested the speed of Matlab 6.5 and Mathematica 8.0, Matlab used 4500 > seconds to execute the program and mathematica used 6000 seconds, it > seems the difference between Matlab and mathematica is not big, why so > many people use Matlab and much fewer people use Mathe...

How many people use or used Lisp?
How many people use Lisp (all dialects combined) today? My guess: 3000, based on the membership on various Lisp forums. Anyone with better guess? When Lisp was the most popular, in relative or absolute numbers? How many people used it at that time? -- Kazimir Majorinc kazimir at chem pmf hr http://kazimirmajorinc.blogspot.com Kazimir Majorinc <email@false.false> writes: > How many people use Lisp (all dialects > combined) today? My guess: 3000, based > on the membership on various Lisp forums. > Anyone with better guess? 30,000,000? (Could easily be an order of magnitu...

How to stop a thread without using stop()
There is a thread which calls just ONE METHOD. The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more than 10minutes. I have to stop if the thread work for more than 10 secs and I don't have the source of the method - but, I have to use the method. Thread.stop() method is deprecated.. So, I tried using interrupt() method, but it did not work. Then how can the thread be stopped without using stop() ?? Thank you. -- ** Son KwonNam Please DO NOT reply to this message's email address. The address is fake. Son KwonNam wrote: > The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more th...

A good reason to use not use Windows / IE
A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn site came up. I closed IE and opened a new one and found I had a porn search toolbar without being asked. I ran ad-aware and removed it. Well on Sat my wife found her google toolbar turned off and a search toolbar installed and her home page changed to srch.lop.com. Looking through her browser history the only site she visited was 1800contacts, I browsed their site a bit with the popup stopper in Mozilla turned off but I never received a popup of any kind so I don't know where the search bar came from. I had ...