Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"

"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS."
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3

"Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS
graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!

Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had
lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the
machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit
and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. All
experienced random lockups."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=60

0
nospam11 (18349)

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> Notice the latest FUD from the Linux community.

Sounds the same as the earlier FUD from the Linux "community".

> Windows 7 = Vista = no improvements while Ubuntu has gone
> through xxyy versions since then.

And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.

> Yea, what they don't tell you is that Ubuntu has actually gotten
> *worse* with each new release.
>
> The Ubuntu forums clearly show this.

Yep.  The Jaunty Crapalope freezing thread now has nearly 600 posts.

1/3 of the victims polled had install or upgrade problems they were unable
to fix.

sniff, sniff...

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/25/2009 2:13:04 PM
Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock DFS
wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil Department of Marketing:

> "I

Micoshaft names RHAT and Canonical (Ubuntu) as teh enemy!!!

BEAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

They got nothin better to do?

I'm thinking about that RHAT advert...

 First they laugh at us
  Then they fight us
   Then we win

So we are now at stage 2 where micoshaft is picking a fight
by naming RHAT and Canonical (Ubuntu) as their enemies.
A few days earlier they named Intel and HP as enemies too.
And Google? - yet another enemy that has destroyed
a large chunk of micoshaft already.
Looks like micoshaft is catching its death from all around.

And only a few days ago micoshaft's Balmer claimed micoshaft
has been fighting Linux for YEARS!!!!
Thats despite all the trolls.

Verbosity makes things unclear.

Either Balmer is lying, or the windummy trolls are lying
or both are liars as Linux continues its meteoric rise
and micoshaft revenue heads south.

Windummy paytard loons all thrown into the trollard soup after
years of lying about Micoshaft claiming it doesn't care about
Linux or that Linux is too insignificant when it was
the exact opposite.

As micoshaft sales have lost 30% of market.
how does micoshaft define competing with Linux?

It can't be anything serious.
All we see here are a bunch of windummy trolls ranting
anti-Linux slogans.
Is that what micoshaft calls competing with Linux?
Is that how they lost 30% market share to Linux?

I am sure all reporters, journalists, bloggers,
Linux engineers, and big bosses of big companies
would all like to know now what Balmer meant by
competing with Linux. Please define.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

(snip)

> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.

.... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
--
Rick
0
On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
> (snip)
>>
>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>
> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.

Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
is rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that
up as some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question
look like a total fool.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:38:55 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>>
>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>
> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished" is
> rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that up as
> some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question look
> like a total fool.

... when was the last time you saw a piece of software that was -finished-?
:-)

--
Rick
0
On 2009-08-26, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:38:55 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>>
>> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished" is
>> rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that up as
>> some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question look
>> like a total fool.
>
> .. when was the last time you saw a piece of software that was -finished-?
>:-)

There are a number of Unix tools I use pretty much unchanged from the
way that I used them 10 or 20 years ago. Emacs is a nice example in
the 20 year category.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \
0
jedi (14754)
8/26/2009 1:42:14 AM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 01:04:13 -0400, DFS wrote:

> "It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS."
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3
>

> "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS
> graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!
>
> Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had
> lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the
> machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit
> and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. All
> experienced random lockups."
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=60

Notice the latest FUD from the Linux community.

Windows 7 = Vista = no improvements while Ubuntu has gone
through xxyy versions since then.

Yea, what they don't tell you is that Ubuntu has actually gotten
*worse* with each new release.

The Ubuntu forums clearly show this.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/26/2009 2:03:14 AM
Rick wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
> (snip)
>>
>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>
> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.

5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora crapware
updates in 6 years.

You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/26/2009 2:18:04 AM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:18:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>>
>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>

> 5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora
> crapware updates in 6 years.
>
> You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?

Fine, fine, kindergarten boy...
.... as opposed to 10 service packs for Windows crapware.

--
Rick
0
JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>>
>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>
> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
> is rather odd and somewhat absurd.

Given that it's Linux, you're correct about it being odd and absurd, but
Fedora is not a development testbed (that's just the excuse you like to make
for its shoddiness).

* it has alpha, beta, release candidate and final releases
* it's described as "stable"  (haahaaha!!!!!) by its "leaders"
* RedHat Enterprise Linux is based on Fedora

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

You're clueless as usual, JED.

> That anyone would ever bring that up as some sort of
> "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question look
> like a total fool.

True, you have to be foolish to release "finished" Linux software.  The rest
of the "community" would be mad at you for making them look bad.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/26/2009 2:30:57 AM
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> The real question is why does Linux software remain beta for
> years and in some cases decades, slrn for example.
>
> Answer: it's a crutch the Linux loons cling to.

Weird, isn't it?  It's like they don't trust their own crapware, and they're
afraid to take responsibility for it.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/26/2009 3:32:20 AM
Rick wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:18:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

>> 5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora
>> crapware updates in 6 years.
>>
>> You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?
>
> Fine, fine, kindergarten boy...
> ... as opposed to 10 service packs for Windows crapware.

What 10?

Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/26/2009 3:33:07 AM
On 2009-08-26, Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:30:57 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
>>> is rather odd and somewhat absurd.
>>
>> Given that it's Linux, you're correct about it being odd and absurd, but
>> Fedora is not a development testbed (that's just the excuse you like to make
>> for its shoddiness).
>>
>> * it has alpha, beta, release candidate and final releases
>> * it's described as "stable"  (haahaaha!!!!!) by its "leaders"
>> * RedHat Enterprise Linux is based on Fedora
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
>>

>> You're clueless as usual, JED.

  Not at all.

  Fedora was created to be Red Hat "Cooker" and it maintains that role.

> Fedora is just a ruse that was foisted on the Linux community
> which allowed Redhat to release shit software and have the Linux
> community debug it for them for free.

   So it is just a development testbed afterall... just as I said.

   It's Redhat SID or Redhat Cooker.

[deletia]

--
     Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||

JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>>
>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>=20
> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
> is rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that
> up as some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question
> look like a total fool.
>=20
Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?

--=20
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

--------------enig32A5B96B13FAE2743F3DBA80

--------------enig32A5B96B13FAE2743F3DBA80--
0
ml2mst1 (1210)
8/26/2009 7:04:58 AM
On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:

> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?

It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
something out because they were taking too long.

  -- Wernher von Braun
0
fardblossom (4529)
8/26/2009 9:41:03 AM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:39:46 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2009-08-26, Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Given that it's Linux, you're correct about it being odd and absurd,
>>> but Fedora is not a development testbed (that's just the excuse you
>>> like to make for its shoddiness).
>>>
>>> * it has alpha, beta, release candidate and final releases * it's
>>> described as "stable"  (haahaaha!!!!!) by its "leaders" * RedHat
>>> Enterprise Linux is based on Fedora
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
>>>

>>> You're clueless as usual, JED.
>
>   Not at all.
>
>   Fedora was created to be Red Hat "Cooker" and it maintains that role.
>

>> Fedora is just a ruse that was foisted on the Linux community which
>> allowed Redhat to release shit software and have the Linux community
>> debug it for them for free.
>
>    So it is just a development testbed afterall... just as I said.
>
>    It's Redhat SID or Redhat Cooker.
>
> [deletia]

Maybe you should explain to flatfarb what "Cooker' is.

--
Rick
0
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:33:07 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:18:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>>> 5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora
>>> crapware updates in 6 years.
>>>
>>> You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?
>>
>> Fine, fine, kindergarten boy...
>> ... as opposed to 10 service packs for Windows crapware.
>

> What 10?
>
> Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.

Added the wrong too numbers... ah well, mistakes happen..

BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?

--
Rick
0
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:20:00 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:18:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>>

>> 5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora
>> crapware updates in 6 years.
>>
>> You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?
>
> And then we have the Ubuntu 6 month "upgrades" where each new version is
> worse than the last.

Each version of Ubuntu is not worse than the last.

> Something is seriously wrong with Linux.

Something is seriously wrong with you.

--
Rick
0

Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:
>=20
>> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?
>=20
> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
> something out because they were taking too long.
>=20
Indeed the Vole required 5 years to create a complete unusable piece of
trash with a new paintjob.

And now suddenly they only need 2 years, to complete the perfect OS
(from scratch).

Please give me a break :-)

Microsoft: it compiles, let's ship it.

--=20
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

--------------enigE981B628BF71A9CB544AF234

--------------enigE981B628BF71A9CB544AF234--
0
ml2mst1 (1210)
8/26/2009 10:28:28 AM
Above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls,Marti van Lin was heard to
say:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>>>
>>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>>
>> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
>> is rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that
>> up as some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question
>> look like a total fool.
>>
> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?

Supposedly, but after all teh bad press it got, even Ballmer eventually had to
say that it was "Work in progress".

http://gizmodo.com/381469/ballmer-vista-is-a-work-in-progress

So that just leaves the Wintrolls bleating that "it's finished".

--
My karma ran over your dogma

Digital Tipping Point
http://www.archive.org/details/proof_of_concept_four_mins.mpg
0
wp7043 (446)
8/26/2009 12:41:28 PM
Rick wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:33:07 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> Fine, fine, kindergarten boy...
>>> ... as opposed to 10 service packs for Windows crapware.
>>

>> What 10?
>>
>> Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.
>
> Added the wrong too numbers...

Which "too" numbers add up to 10, Mr. Innumerate?

> ah well, mistakes happen..

If only your parents could go back to that fateful night...

> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?

Left side of cola idiot mouths: Microsoft is slow to fix things
Right side of cola idiot mouths: try to poke fun at weekly fixes

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/26/2009 1:05:04 PM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:18:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware.
>>>
>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>

> 5 service packs (3 for XP, 2 for Vista) in 8 years, vs 11 Fedora crapware
> updates in 6 years.
>
> You're almost always wrong, (p)Rick.  Why?

And then we have the Ubuntu 6 month "upgrades" where each new
version is worse than the last.

Something is seriously wrong with Linux.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/26/2009 2:20:00 PM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:30:57 -0400, DFS wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>>
>> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
>> is rather odd and somewhat absurd.
>
> Given that it's Linux, you're correct about it being odd and absurd, but
> Fedora is not a development testbed (that's just the excuse you like to make
> for its shoddiness).
>
> * it has alpha, beta, release candidate and final releases
> * it's described as "stable"  (haahaaha!!!!!) by its "leaders"
> * RedHat Enterprise Linux is based on Fedora
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
>

> You're clueless as usual, JED.

Fedora is just a ruse that was foisted on the Linux community
which allowed Redhat to release shit software and have the Linux
community debug it for them for free.

Suckers........

You see, this way the *real shit* software wouldn't be
associated directly with Redhat and they would have a built in
excuse.

Pretty shrewd IMHO.

>> That anyone would ever bring that up as some sort of
>> "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question look
>> like a total fool.
>
> True, you have to be foolish to release "finished" Linux software.  The rest
> of the "community" would be mad at you for making them look bad.

Yea....
They would lose the excuse "it's beta what do you expect".

The real question is why does Linux software remain beta for
years and in some cases decades, slrn for example.

Answer: it's a crutch the Linux loons cling to.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/26/2009 2:35:04 PM
Sinister Midget <fardblossom@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:
>
>> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?
>
> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
> something out because they were taking too long.

and Ubuntu doing the same every 6 months is what?
0
hadronquark (21814)
8/26/2009 2:48:03 PM
On 2009-08-26, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
> Rick wrote:
>> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?
>
> Left side of cola idiot mouths: Microsoft is slow to fix things
> Right side of cola idiot mouths: try to poke fun at weekly fixes

Monthly.

--
So this is it.  We're going to die.
"Rick" <none@nomail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:33:07 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> Fine, fine, kindergarten boy...
>>> ... as opposed to 10 service packs for Windows crapware.
>>

>> What 10?
>>
>> Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.
>
> Added the wrong too numbers... ah well, mistakes happen..

> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?

Probably a lot better than your 2x a week  80+ megabyte Linux patches.

0
not-there (264)
8/26/2009 3:59:06 PM
On 2009-08-27, the following emerged from the brain of Moshe Goldfarb:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:48:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Sinister Midget <fardblossom@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:

>>> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
>>> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
>>> something out because they were taking too long.
>>
>> and Ubuntu doing the same every 6 months is what?
>
> The problem with Ubuntu is that with each subsequent release, it
> gets less stable.

Based on my experiences with 9.04 they are back on track. And I ran it
on a lot of hardware.

> But the eye candy gets better.

It still pretty much looks the same as it did at the start. Really.

--
Q:	Why did the chicken cross the road?
A:	He was giving it last rites.
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:48:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Sinister Midget <fardblossom@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:
>>
>>> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?
>>
>> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
>> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
>> something out because they were taking too long.
>
> and Ubuntu doing the same every 6 months is what?

Does Ubuntu do the same thing? I don't think so. Ubuntu has a release
schedule.

--
Rick
0
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 03:57:12 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:48:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Sinister Midget <fardblossom@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:

>>> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
>>> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
>>> something out because they were taking too long.
>>
>> and Ubuntu doing the same every 6 months is what?
>
> The problem with Ubuntu is that with each subsequent release, it gets
> less stable.

The problem with you is that with each passing say you get less stable.

BTW, let us know when you use Ubuntu almost every day.

> But the eye candy gets better.

.... as opposed to you.

--
Rick
0
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:59:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <none@nomail.com> wrote in message

>>> What 10?
>>>
>>> Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.
>>
>> Added the wrong too numbers... ah well, mistakes happen..
>

>> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?
>
> Probably a lot better than your 2x a week  80+ megabyte Linux patches.

My updates are going fine.

--
Rick
0
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:05:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:

>>> What 10?
>>>
>>> Drinking again I see - that's what lonely old virgins do I guess.
>>
>> Added the wrong too numbers...
>

> Which "too" numbers add up to 10, Mr. Innumerate?
>

>> ah well, mistakes happen..
>
> If only your parents could go back to that fateful night...

Why do you enjoy wallowing in cesspools?

>> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?
>
> Left side of cola idiot mouths: Microsoft is slow to fix things Right
> side of cola idiot mouths: try to poke fun at weekly fixes

... as opposed to left side of your mouth ...

--
Rick
0
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:48:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Sinister Midget <fardblossom@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2009-08-26, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> claimed:
>>
>>> Wasn't Vista "finished" according to the Vole and the Wintrolls?
>>
>> It was. But not in the same context they intended anyone to take that
>> word. It was /finished/ the day the monopoly decided they had to rush
>> something out because they were taking too long.
>
> and Ubuntu doing the same every 6 months is what?

The problem with Ubuntu is that with each subsequent release, it
gets less stable.

But the eye candy gets better.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/27/2009 7:57:12 AM
TomB wrote:
> On 2009-08-26, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>> Rick wrote:
>>> BTW, how's "patch Tuesday" goin' for ya'?
>>
>> Left side of cola idiot mouths: Microsoft is slow to fix things
>> Right side of cola idiot mouths: try to poke fun at weekly fixes
>
> Monthly.

Shows how much I keep up with patches to my WinServer2003 system here at
home.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/28/2009 1:40:26 AM
On 2009-08-28, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
> TomB wrote:
>>>
>>> Left side of cola idiot mouths: Microsoft is slow to fix things
>>> Right side of cola idiot mouths: try to poke fun at weekly fixes
>>
>> Monthly.
>
> Shows how much I keep up with patches to my WinServer2003 system here at
> home.

Not smart.

--
You need more time; and you probably always will.
TomB wrote:
> On 2009-08-28, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>> TomB wrote:
>>> On 2009-08-26, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:

>>> Monthly.
>>
>> Shows how much I keep up with patches to my WinServer2003 system
>> here at home.
>
> Not smart.

I never claimed to be.

I installed some patches recently - the first in ~3 years.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/29/2009 3:25:15 AM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:24:31 -0500, Rick wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:38:55 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> On 2009-08-25, Rick <none@nomail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:13:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> ... as oppose dto the umpteeth service pack of Windows crapware.
>>
>> Fedora is a development testbed. The idea that it would be "finished"
>> is rather odd and somewhat absurd. That anyone would ever bring that up
>> as some sort of "flaw" only serves to make the "critic" in question
>> look like a total fool.
>
> .. when was the last time you saw a piece of software that was
> -finished-? :-)

Microsoft's Bob was pretty much finished... almost as soon as it was
released. :)

0
kbjarnason (4613)

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

"Real OS" vs. "Toy OS"
Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you have to crow for months when Munich Germany installs just 14,000 * that nearly every PC vendor in the world offers it pre-loaded - but when you ask about Linux over the phone you're met with "Lin what?" or silence or sometimes a click and then silence. * that you're forced to copy the features in the "toy" OS - to lend Linux a veneer of badly needed usability and respectability * that _your_ OS is considered "alternative" - almost like it's an odd subculture * that Linux is often considered a free Windows clone * that Linux apps really are, or try to be, clones of Windows apps * that modern Linux distros often run slower than Windows on the same machine No wonder you're all so hostile and humorless. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:45:28 -0400, DFS wrote: > Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > > >> Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. > > > Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it > must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): > > * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you ha...

*tuple vs tuple example print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),*("a","b","c"))
I have been trying to find documentation on the behavior Can anyone tell me why the first example works and the second doesn't and where I can read about it in the language reference? Steve print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),*("a","b","c")) #works OUTPUT:/var/tmp/a/b/c and print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),("a","b","c")) # doesn't OUTPUT:Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/pyth...

"Suse Linux is ideal"..."Linux is perfect for anything"
"Conclusion SuSE Linux is ideal for anyone. Plain and simple. If your PC is reasonably new and has a large-ish hard drive Linux is perfect for anything." http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00006JT8L/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful/279-0064730-3629436?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending It just w.... ...

More "slopware" for the "hobby OS?"
http://www.scienceprog.com/kontrollerlab-ide-development-software-for-avr-under-linux/ http://tinyurl.com/4lprxz Nobody <invalid@invalid.com> writes: > http://www.scienceprog.com/kontrollerlab-ide-development-software-for-avr-under-linux/ > > http://tinyurl.com/4lprxz Seriously, are you retarded? What on earth is that supposed to prove? YOu might as well post a link to emacs/postgres/apache etc. Why post a link to some advert infested crap site when it also exists, in a far better implementation for the OS you pretend to despise : Windows. You ARE gortard and I claim my 5 dollars. -- A certain COLA "advocate" faking his user-agent in order to pretend to be a Linux user: User-Agent: Outlook 5.5 (WinNT 5.0), User-Agent: slrn/0.9.8.0 (Linux), Message-ID: <wPGdnd3NnOM0ACfdRVn-hw@comcast.com> Hadron wrote: > Nobody <invalid@invalid.com> writes: > >> http://www.scienceprog.com/kontrollerlab-ide-development-software-for-avr-under-linux/ >> >> http://tinyurl.com/4lprxz > > Seriously, are you retarded? > > What on earth is that supposed to prove? It proves you're no Linux advocate at very least. It only took four minutes from the time I posted a link to Linux software for you to attack and insult me. > YOu might as well post a link to emacs/postgres/apache etc. As if any of those are the same as the software I pointed out! > Why post a li...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

Any good books on "Linux Socket prog", also on "Linux Network prog"?
Guys: Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. GS wrote: > Guys: > > Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network > programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. I have never seen one, but since sockets on Linux are basically standard BSD or Unix sockets, try searching for "Unix socket programming" or "Berkeley socket programming". -- Phil Frisbie, Jr. Hawk Software http://www.hawksoft.com Does "Unix socket programming" by Richard Stevens book can be used for Linux socket programming too?. Thanks. Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics GS wrote: > Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux > programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics > I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you are wanting to do it properly the POSIX way, I wouldn't even consider it unless you are comfortable programming 'C' at the level of understanding how pointers work. You could always consider Java - piece of cake in Java! Steve Is there any on-line text books availa...

Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
IT Sstandrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness ,----[ Quote ] | To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the | ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise | contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to | encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal | contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly | before 5th February 2007. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_dis ...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

Web resources about - Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!" - comp.os.linux.advocacy