Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration: Firefox 4

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiEnucksFAILS#p/f/1/Ay_20ESjixs

Same hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 + GeForce 8600M GT
Same browser: Firefox 4.0 [Latest version - fully released]
--
Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux

0
clog_-_wog (697)

Ooops!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs

> Same hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 + GeForce 8600M GT
> Same browser: Firefox 4.0 [Latest version - fully released]
> --
> Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
> "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux
> had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
> [............]
> "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of
> content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors:
> the
> fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the
> open-source community at large."
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

0
clog_-_wog (697)
6/6/2011 7:55:23 PM
Am Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:49:38 +0200 schrieb Clog_-_wog (®):

> Same browser:
> Firefox 4.0 [Latest version - fully released]

"Same browser is oversimplified. It's not a secret that the firefox
developers focussed more on the GPU acceleration on windows.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand: This has nothing to do with
"Windows 7 vs Linux" this has to do with how much effort the firefox
developers put in to make it work. On Linux the graphics drivers are
often blamed but that is only partly true. Google-chrome-dev shows
massive improvements with GPU acceleration on fglrx with no change other
than that in google chrome itself.

Firefox 7 and 6 on the other hand doesn't even manage to draw a simple
website or its interface properly with GPU acceleration on fglrx. Well,
it is in development and not ready for general use and therefore not
activated per default, so it's not an issue for the user.
0
chrisdhaag (716)
6/6/2011 8:47:36 PM
On 2011-06-06, Chris <chrisdhaag@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:49:38 +0200 schrieb Clog_-_wog (®):
>
>> Same browser:
>> Firefox 4.0 [Latest version - fully released]
>
> "Same browser is oversimplified. It's not a secret that the firefox
> developers focussed more on the GPU acceleration on windows.

   I dunno. Given the manner that these Lemmings here are fixating on this
silly little artificial benchmark, it's little wonder that the firefox devs
are putting all of this effort in. They have to deal with this sort of very
noisy whiney freetard.

    OpenGL is certainly available and so is VDPAU.

    Although it's not clear that there's really a point yet.

> I don't know why it is so hard to understand: This has nothing to do with
> "Windows 7 vs Linux" this has to do with how much effort the firefox
> developers put in to make it work. On Linux the graphics drivers are
> often blamed but that is only partly true. Google-chrome-dev shows
> massive improvements with GPU acceleration on fglrx with no change other
> than that in google chrome itself.
>
> Firefox 7 and 6 on the other hand doesn't even manage to draw a simple
> website or its interface properly with GPU acceleration on fglrx. Well,
> it is in development and not ready for general use and therefore not
> activated per default, so it's not an issue for the user.

--
     These Mac Fanboys want vi imposed on everyone.                   |||
                                                                     / | \
Chris wrote:
> "Same browser is oversimplified. It's not a secret that the firefox
> developers focussed more on the GPU acceleration on windows.

Just by looking at the video it is obvious that the Firefox 4 for GNU/Linux
in the video is not using hardware acceleration. Firefox 4 with hardware
acceleration has a performance variation with increasing load different from
Firefox 4 without hardware acceleration.

By the way, Firefox 4 compiled for GNU/Linux and x86_64 with hardware
acceleration *enabled* is faster than the Mozilla's provided binaries for
both GNU/Linux and Windows.

Regards.

0
nomail6807 (1699)

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk Holy SHIT!!!! LIEnux really sucks!! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk > > Holy SHIT!!!! > > LIEnux really sucks!! > That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my time was better spent if it had been. I wonder why the author, which I guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side? On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:37:40 -0500, Grinder wrote: > On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote: >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk >> >> Holy SHIT!!!! >> >> LIEnux really sucks!! >> > > That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my > time was better spent if it had been. I wonder why the author, which I > guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side? Maybe he didn't feel like waiting ...

Mac OS vs. Windows vs. Linux
I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en by In article <74603a0c-5c6b-41df-9feb-e95bb5ae8244@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, yuzgen <yuzgen@gmail.com> wrote: > I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer > users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: > http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en From that article: Mac OS for girls: Please don’t get me wrong. This was the best single word to define naive computer users. They like ease of use. They don’t know how much RAM their computers have. They choose computers like fruits in big stores. The way windows animate while minimizing are crucial. They don’t know where the setting are, they don’t want to learn, still want to find out as soon as they need to change something. Mas OS is a better choice than Windows for girls. ... Windows for girls: Very dangerous! If you install Windows on their computers, they’ll call you every day. You don’t want to mess around with malware and/or strange questions. Try Ubuntu. Besides, they love eye candy. Vista and 7 have eye candy, but lack way behind Linux Compiz. If they are switching from Windows, go for KDE (Kubuntu?) rather than Ubuntu . They will feel at home. ... Linux for girls: They usually use Windows. It’s a dogma. Show them. Tell the...

Another piece of crap Linux liar: "Zorin-OS is tested to be around 4 times faster than Windows 7."
http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ Where's the beef? Gawd. DFS wrote: > http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ > > Where's the beef? Gawd. I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. -- Best regards, [tv] Owner, Trollus Amongus LLC U X e dUdX, e dX, cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159... Tattoo Vampire wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > DFS wrote: > >> http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ >> >> Where's the beef? Gawd. > > I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. DFS is still a piece of crap anti-Linux liar, though. :-D I'm not sure where the 4x claim came from, though. Check out this review: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214928/5_reasons_to_try_zorin_os_linux.html It echoes the claim, without qualification. Sounds like K. Noyes is a lot more gullible than DFS is. -- I will not drink! But if I do... I will not get drunk! But if I do... I will not in public! But if I do... I will not fall down! But if I do... I will fall face down so that they cannot see my company badge. On 3/15/2011 6:13 PM, Tattoo Vampire wrote: > DFS wrote: > >> http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ >> >> Where's the beef? Gawd. > > I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. I sent the "developer" a nasty-gram asking him for proof - like I do when any cola idiot m...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs OS X vs Vista vs XP
Mount your soapboxes fanboys of all denominations - It's playtime... OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista vs. Windows XP Since the dawn of time - or, at least, the dawn of personal computers - the holy wars over desktop operating systems have raged, with each faction proclaiming the unrivaled superiority of its chosen OS and the vile loathsomeness of all others. No matter how fierce the language or convincing the arguments, however, these battles began to seem somewhat irrelevant to regular working stiffs. While Mac OS, OS/2, Linux and many other desktop operating systems have all had their devotees over the years, the truth is that the majority of home and business users have simply used the current version of Windows as a matter of course. Windows Vista has changed all that. Never has a Microsoft operating system been greeted with such a lack of enthusiasm from consumers and businesses alike. Whether it's because of Vista's confusing array of versions, its hefty hardware requirements, its driver issues or its invasive security features, users are resisting the upgrade to Vista and considering other options, from Mac OS X to Linux to just sticking with Windows XP, thank you very much. Suddenly, the OS wars have a new relevance. That's why we've asked four experts to lay out their best arguments in support of their desktop operating systems of choice. Each is positive that his operating system is the best and will try his hardest to c...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

[News] Damn Small Linux 4.4.7 Released, Scores 5/5, Puppy Linux Reviewed Also

[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

7 N 7. Windows 7 here in 7 days. Goodbye Linux.
Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the past, if that is even mathematically possible. You can tell that excitement is in the air over the Windows release because the Linux morons are squealing like stuck pigs. Hopefully this will put desktop Linux out of it's misery and flush the basements of the world of these Linux worshiping vermin. Who knows, maybe sales of soap, the kind used to clean things, will go up? Of course sales of pizza and jolt will go down. Goodbye Linux. We hardly knew ya. Doug Miller wrote: > Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying > around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with > open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the > past, if that is even mathematically possible. Well now, you seem to be much more intelligent than the last person (DFS) that I was talking to on this subject, so perhaps *you* would like to give us some figures? In effect, Windows 7 will have been on sale on most new computers (retail) since July (in that most have been sold with a Windows 7 Upgrade option), and no doubt (as you say) people will go out in droves to open their wallets and buy it anyway. Therefore, on 1st December, we should see a very substantial leap in Windows 7 use on (say) NetApplications and statcounter, s...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

Windows vs Linux
Just bought a new tablet - a Wacom Bamboo. The booklet explains how to do the setup. In Windows, you shut down all your apps - including AV. You put in the CD. Run the installer. If all goes well, re-enable your AV and carry on. Hmm. Nothing about Linux. Let's see... Plug in device. Use device. Yes, well, Windows is just so much easier. :) Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@gmail.com> writes: > Just bought a new tablet - a Wacom Bamboo. The booklet explains how to > do the setup. > > In Windows, you shut down all your apps - including AV. You put in the > ...

My Linux is not your Linux

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Playing BluRay Under Linux vs Windows 7
First the Linux version: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/blog/2011/04/18/playing-blu- ray-under-linux/ "One of the many deficiencies of Digital Restrictions Management is the fact it makes doing legal authorised things hard for paying customers. For example my brother still can?t play Blu-Ray disks on his laptop despite it having the requisite a) drive, b) power and c) display resolution. Because the OS on his machine (Vista?) can?t see a verifiable encrypted path to his big screen display it refuses to play his legally purchased disks. This is one reason why I haven?t brought any Blu-Ray disks since the couple I got with my PS3 (to test the Hi-Def goodness). I refuse to buy them while I have no devices under my control* that can play them. Still the conversation with my brother and the fact I had a Blu- Ray drive in my desktop prompted me to see if it was indeed now possible. My desktop system runs Gentoo which makes running bleeding edge code very easy. I duly enabled the ?bluray? and ?aacs? use flags and recompiled mplayer. This brought in libbluray and the command line utility aacskeys. Unfortunately mplayer was still unable to play the disk, complaining the disk was still encrypted. After a bunch of searching the interwebs and drawing blanks on finding any explicit ?HOWTO? instructions I resorted to running mplayer through a debugger (one advantage of an Open Source system is there are no ?black boxes? to reverse engineer) to see how libbluray ...

Linux vs Windows 7 Solidworks Fileserver
We have been running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 for several years. The file server is an Opteron processor, 2GB ram and sata drive in a Raid 1 for the Solidworks data. That is the only thing the computer is used for and it is an internal network with no outside access so no firewalls or antivirus. It takes us about 4 minutes to open a representative assembly with about 1500 unique parts over our 1Gb network from a win7 x64 box, core I7, 16GB ram, SSD. Messing around I tried loading the same model from another win7 computer (about a generation older) with SSD. Well it took about 2 min to load the same file. I figured the SSD was the main reason for the change but then I installed Ubuntu and Debian and was back to 4-5 minutes with the same hardware. I was surprised because I always assumed Linux/Samba would be faster than Windows. Another issue is that if we try to open the assembly read-only because somebody already has it open, it takes liek 3-4 times longer. Yet when I tried that on the Win 7 to Win 7 it was only about 50% slower. Any thoughts or experiences. MechEng2112 -- http://compgroups.net/comp.cad.solidworks/...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: File Transfer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BahohAZvunA&hd=1 Note: "Any fanboys in denial, visit this professional benchmark: http://i54.tinypic.com/jkeihi.png " -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html Am Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:35:28 +0200 schrieb Siegfried Vereneseneckockkrockoff: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BahohAZvunA&hd=1 I think last time this was posted in this ng there was no decent answer to my response. But anyway: He is copying from a NTFS disk. Probably. Try copying from ext4 to ext4. > Note: "Any fanboys in denial, visit this professional benchmark: > http://i54.tinypic.com/jkeihi.png " In his video description he didn't manage to link to the source of the image he for some reason reuploaded on tinypic. The original is here: http://tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7 And the link isn't long either: http://tuxradar.com/fil...

Shocking news: Linux Format magazine claims Linux beats Windows 7!
I was totally surprised... On 2009-07-29, the following emerged from the brain of DFS: > I was totally surprised... You haven't been reading 7's posts then? -- Q: What do you call a blind pre-historic animal? A: Diyathinkhesaurus. Q: What do you call a blind pre-historic animal with a dog? A: Diyathinkhesaurus Rex. On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:58:51 -0400, DFS wrote: > I was totally surprised... The author is Graham Morrison who is a known Linux zealot. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Play_Windows_games_on_Linux_with_Crossover?t=27215888 "Wrong. Graham Morrison seems to be a bit in love with linux. Crossover is a mediocre application. In the end if your using linux you know how to setup a dual boot. And if your trying to play games with your netbook... forget about it!" Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:58:51 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> I was totally surprised... > > The author is Graham Morrison who is a known Linux zealot. Piss off troll! Post some Linux Advocay or don't post here. This is not a place for calling Linux enthusiasts names and rant off topic. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Play_Windows_games_on_Linux_with_Crossover?t=27215888 > > "Wrong. Graham Morrison seems to be a bit in love with linux. > Crossover is a mediocre application. In the end if your using > linux you know how to setup a dual boot. And if your trying to > play games with your netbook... forget about it!" On Wed,...

Linux crapware is "rubbish... Windows 7 makes Linux look so yesterday"
Not yesterday... yestercentury. "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want-you-to.html On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > Not yesterday... yestercentury. > > > "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of > issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it > but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I > find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which > is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." > > > http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want- you-to.html What do you think you are accomplishing? -- Rick On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:30:57 -0500, Rick wrote: > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> Not yesterday... yestercentury. >> >> >> "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of >> issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it >> but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, bu...

Optimizing for SSD drives: Linux vs Windows 7
Linux: the usual command-line hassles 1) USE EXT2 WITH NOATIME Journaling adds writes. If possible, specify ext2 with the noatime option during install. If you specified ext3, you can switch over to ext2 with no hassle. If you didn't specify ext2 and/or noatime at install, you can do it afterwards by editing /etc/fstab. sudo nano /etc/fstab Look at the line that contains partitions that are on the SSD. It should look something like this: UUID=1eea26d7-6893-4779-827b-150412c94703 / ext2 relatime 0 1 Replace ext3 with ext2 and relatime or defaults with noatime 2) CHANGE THE TASK SCHEDULING ALGORITHM sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.list Press CTRL+W to find the string # kopt. It should look something like this: # kopt=root=UUID=1eea26d7-6893-4779-827b-150412c94703 ro Add the option elevator=noop so that it looks like this: # kopt=root=UUID=1eea26d7-6893-4779-827b-150412c94703 ro elevator=noop Make the changes take effect. sudo update-grub 3) SAVING WRITES WITH TMPFS sudo gedit /etc/fstab Insert these lines into the file: tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0755 0 0 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0 tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0 This will cause some packages to fail mysteriously when they cannot access the log directories that were installed with the packages and then disappeared at reboot. To rebuild the directory structure inside /var/log on each reboot, add these lines to /etc/rc.local above the 'exit 0' line: for dir in apac...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Computing Power HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_KounVrXsQ&hd=1 -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

Web resources about - Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration: Firefox 4 - comp.os.linux.advocacy