Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

Holy SHIT!!!!

LIEnux really sucks!!

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)

On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>
> Holy SHIT!!!!
>
> LIEnux really sucks!!

That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my
time was better spent if it had been.  I wonder why the author, which I
guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side?
0
grinder (93)
6/3/2011 11:37:40 PM
On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:37:40 -0500, Grinder wrote:

> On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>>
>> Holy SHIT!!!!
>>
>> LIEnux really sucks!!
>>

> That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my
> time was better spent if it had been.  I wonder why the author, which I
> guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side?

Maybe he didn't feel like waiting 3 days for a spreadsheet to load?

Duhhhhhhh.....

P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 12:10:44 AM
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:37:40 -0500, Grinder wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>>>
>>> Holy SHIT!!!!
>>>
>>> LIEnux really sucks!!
>>>
>> That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my
>> time was better spent if it had been.  I wonder why the author, which I
>> guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side?
>
> Maybe he didn't feel like waiting 3 days for a spreadsheet to load?
>
> Duhhhhhhh.....
>
> P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...

10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
On Jun 3, 3:34=A0pm, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D875AbZcWoCk
> Holy SHIT!!!!
> LIEnux really sucks!!

Perhaps the two spreadsheet programs are doing different things
when they open the spreadsheet.  The Linux program may be
storing all the spreadsheet data into memory, in data structures
that are immediately usable for calculation.  The Microsoft program
may only be reading in enough of the spreadsheet data to display
the first and last few rows.

That recalls the case some years ago when Microsoft claimed that
its Web browser loaded faster than its competition.  Until people
figured out that parts of the browser were being loaded when
Windows booted up, thus making bootup take longer, but that
delay didn't seem to be associated with the browser, since it
occurred at a different time.

Open Source software is designed to help people, while Microsoft
products are designed to make a profit for Microsoft, which may
involve helping people or deceiving them.

A much more meaningful comparison would result if each cell of a
500,000 row by 10 column spreadsheet contained a unique formula
which used the data from the cell above it.  The formulas would
have to be compex enough that they could not be optimized away;
maybe usage of the modulo function could help accomplish this.
And they should not call the random-number function, because
then we would have to compare the quality of the random number
generation in the two programs, and also we would be unable to
compare the final values on the bottom row.

So create such a spreadsheet, load it into both programs, input
the same 10 random numbers into the top row, and tell the
programs to recalculate.  Then compare how long a time each
one requires.

Mark S Bilk
http://cosmicpenguin.com

0
mark1755 (1214)
6/4/2011 5:35:03 AM
On 6/3/2011 7:10 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:

> P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...

Odd.  I would have guessed you've become tragically familiar with people
ignoring you.

0
grinder (93)
6/4/2011 5:46:45 AM
Am Sat, 04 Jun 2011 04:14:15 +0200 schrieb Sjouke Burry:

> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?

Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
libreoffice calc.
Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
faster.

But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
Not intended as arguments but as questions.
0
chrisdhaag (716)
6/4/2011 7:55:04 AM
Sjouke Burry wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my
>>> time was better spent if it had been.  I wonder why the author, which I
>>> guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side?
>>
>> Maybe he didn't feel like waiting 3 days for a spreadsheet to load?
>>
>> Duhhhhhhh.....
>>
>> P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...
>>
> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?

Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.

OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.

--
honeymoon, n.:
	A short period of doting between dating and debting.
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 22:35:03 -0700 (PDT), Mark S Bilk wrote:

> On Jun 3, 3:34�pm, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>> Holy SHIT!!!!
>> LIEnux really sucks!!
>
> Perhaps the two spreadsheet programs are doing different things
> when they open the spreadsheet.  The Linux program may be
> storing all the spreadsheet data into memory, in data structures
> that are immediately usable for calculation.  The Microsoft program
> may only be reading in enough of the spreadsheet data to display
> the first and last few rows.
>
> That recalls the case some years ago when Microsoft

--snip---MSB bull shit.....
> Mark S Bilk
> http://cosmicpenguin.com

God you are an idiot.

Who cares what each program is doing?

The idea is to load the spreadsheet so the user can work with the data.

Linux fails.
--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 3:42:59 PM
Chris wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>
> Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
> libreoffice calc.
> Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
> thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
> faster.
>
> But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
> Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
> Not intended as arguments but as questions.

Somebody found a corner case that they can use to FUD OpenOffice.

Standard shill stuff like that promoted by George Ou.

--
"Your butt is mine."
		-- Michael Jackson, Bad
On 4 Jun 2011 07:55:04 GMT, Chris wrote:

>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>
> Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
> libreoffice calc.
> Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
> thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
> faster.

Of course it loads extremely slow.
What did you expect?

> But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
> Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
> Not intended as arguments but as questions.

Typical Linux Linturd tactic "so who really needs this etc..."
Usually given when Linux fails at some task, which is quite often.

When you finally get out of school and into the real world instead of
hiding behind the safe walls of academia, you will have the answer to
your question.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 3:45:07 PM
Chris Ahlstrom stated in post isdjtm$ah6$4@dont-email.me on 6/4/11 8:42 AM:

> Sjouke Burry wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> Maybe he didn't feel like waiting 3 days for a spreadsheet to load?
>>>
>>> Duhhhhhhh.....
>>>
>>> P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...
>>>
>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>
> Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>
> OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
> about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.

You mean the open formats?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/4/2011 3:47:41 PM
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:42:45 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Sjouke Burry wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> Maybe he didn't feel like waiting 3 days for a spreadsheet to load?
>>>
>>> Duhhhhhhh.....
>>>
>>> P.S. I can't believe you are this ignorant...
>>>
>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>
> Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>
> OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
> about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.

Not according to this:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

Linux and OpenOffice fails.........

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 4:00:32 PM
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:47:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom stated in post isdjtm$ah6$4@dont-email.me on 6/4/11 8:42 AM:
>
>> Sjouke Burry wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>>
>> Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>>
>> OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
>> about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.
>
> You mean the open formats?

Yea, the ones nobody uses.

Liarmutt just can't stand it when proof that Linux sucks is posted.

Here it is again:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 4:01:21 PM
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:44:25 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Chris wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>>
>> Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
>> libreoffice calc.
>> Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
>> thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
>> faster.
>>
>> But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
>> Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
>> Not intended as arguments but as questions.
>
> Somebody found a corner case that they can use to FUD OpenOffice.
>
> Standard shill stuff like that promoted by George Ou.

FUD?

You just can't face the fact that OpenOffice failed....
Just like Linux in general.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
6/4/2011 4:02:19 PM
flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> writes:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:44:25 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
>>> libreoffice calc.
>>> Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
>>> thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
>>> faster.
>>>
>>> But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
>>> Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
>>> Not intended as arguments but as questions.
>>
>> Somebody found a corner case that they can use to FUD OpenOffice.
>>
>> Standard shill stuff like that promoted by George Ou.
>
> FUD?
>
> You just can't face the fact that OpenOffice failed....
> Just like Linux in general.
>
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

Too many wobbly windows.
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/4/2011 4:29:52 PM
Am Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:45:07 -0400 schrieb flatfish+++:

>> Not intended as arguments but as questions.
>
> Typical Linux Linturd tactic "so who really needs this etc..."

No. I asked it because I was interested in the answers. I wrote that. You
don't seem to notice.

> Usually
> given when Linux fails at some task, which is quite often.
>
> When you finally get out of school and into the real world instead of
> hiding behind the safe walls of academia, you will have the answer to
> your question.

So you actually deny me the learning experience because I must experience
it myself?

Would it be so hard to answer the question? Or don't you have answers and
are just trolling?
0
chrisdhaag (716)
6/4/2011 4:51:39 PM
On 6/3/2011 6:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>
> Holy SHIT!!!!
>
> LIEnux really sucks!!

That was an *awesome* video.  Several minutes to open the spreadsheet in
the OSS slopware, vs seconds in MS Office.

You won't always see such a huge differential between OpenOffice and MS
Office, but I have never seen OpenOffice do ANYTHING faster than MS Office.

There's a reason the crap is free, but so few people or corporations use it.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/4/2011 6:33:39 PM
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> writes:

> On 6/3/2011 6:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk
>>
>> Holy SHIT!!!!
>>
>> LIEnux really sucks!!
>
> That was an *awesome* video.  Several minutes to open the spreadsheet in the OSS
> slopware, vs seconds in MS Office.
>
> You won't always see such a huge differential between OpenOffice and MS Office,
> but I have never seen OpenOffice do ANYTHING faster than MS Office.
>
> There's a reason the crap is free, but so few people or corporations use it.

Clumsy, memory consuming, slow to process xml standards no doubt.

I'm awaiting "7", the visionary, to rewrite it all in Gambas ...
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/4/2011 6:49:31 PM
Chris wrote:

>> 10 seconds load for a 3.3MB spreadsheet(astro) with 23 pages.
>> Do you like to spread bullshit about software you dont like?
>
> Actually the xslx spreadsheet from the video loads extremely slow in
> libreoffice calc.
> Since OOXML is a standard (not a clean one, but unfortunately this huge
> thing is officially a standard) libreoffice should be able to parse it
> faster.
>
> But I am wondering: what are the use cases for such huge spreadsheets?
> Who needs them and are people using them not doing it wrong?
> Not intended as arguments but as questions.
Somebody put all his astro data in a very clean spreadsheet.
His choice, not mine.
But it looks nice, clean and professional.
Enough reasons, I think.
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>
>OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
>about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.

The monopolists moving the target, to make it difficult for customers
to leave them, is a "good reason" to attack Free software, you know.

It's "good" that some company seeks to lock *your* data into *their*
formats, so that you do *not* have the freedom to leave them for
another vendor who might be a better value for you.

0
chrisv (22840)
6/6/2011 12:58:37 PM
useless shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

fsck off and die you mentally ill piece of shit troll.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
mag3036 (19)
6/6/2011 1:27:06 PM
On 6/6/2011 8:58 AM, chrisv wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>>
>> OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
>> about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.
>
> The monopolists moving the target, to make it difficult for customers
> to leave them, is a "good reason" to attack Free software, you know.
>
> It's "good" that some company seeks to lock *your* data into *their*
> formats, so that you do *not* have the freedom to leave them for
> another vendor who might be a better value for you.

Rather than chasing Microsoft, try Wordperfect X5 which will open all of
the latest MSWord fromats,OpenOffice, and more than other 60 File Formats

k-nuttle wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 6/6/2011 8:58 AM, chrisv wrote:
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Flounder's stock-in-trade is trolling bullshit.  He's a pathological liar.
>>>
>>> OpenOffice is very good with MS Office formats through 2003.  It is only
>>> about 1/2-way there with MS's *.???x formats.
>>
>> The monopolists moving the target, to make it difficult for customers
>> to leave them, is a "good reason" to attack Free software, you know.
>>
>> It's "good" that some company seeks to lock *your* data into *their*
>> formats, so that you do *not* have the freedom to leave them for
>> another vendor who might be a better value for you.
>>
> Rather than chasing Microsoft, try Wordperfect X5 which will open all of
> the latest MSWord fromats,OpenOffice, and more than other 60 File Formats

Does it run on Linux?  (WINE or otherwise)

--
	So Richard and I decided to try to catch [the small shark].
With a great deal of strategy and effort and shouting, we managed to
maneuver the shark, over the course of about a half-hour, to a sort of
corner of the lagoon, so that it had no way to escape other than to
flop up onto the land and evolve.  Richard and I were inching toward
it, sort of crouched over, when all of a sudden it turned around and --
I can still remember the sensation I felt at that moment, primarily in
the armpit area -- headed right straight toward us.
	Many people would have panicked at this point.  But Richard and
I were not "many people."  We were experienced waders, and we kept our
heads.  We did exactly what the textbook says you should do when you're
unarmed and a shark that is nearly two feet long turns on you in water
up to your lower calves: We sprinted I would say 600 yards in the
opposite direction, using a sprinting style such that the bottoms of
our feet never once went below the surface of the water.  We ran all
the way to the far shore, and if we had been in a Warner Brothers
cartoon we would have run right INTO the beach, and you would have seen
these two mounds of sand racing across the island until they bonked
into trees and coconuts fell onto their heads.
		-- Dave Barry, "The Wonders of Sharks on TV"
0
ahlstromc8504 (8208)
6/6/2011 2:32:12 PM
On 6/6/2011 10:32 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> k-nuttle wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> The monopolists moving the target, to make it difficult for customers
>>> to leave them, is a "good reason" to attack Free software, you know.
>>>
>>> It's "good" that some company seeks to lock *your* data into *their*
>>> formats, so that you do *not* have the freedom to leave them for
>>> another vendor who might be a better value for you.
>>>
>> Rather than chasing Microsoft, try Wordperfect X5 which will open all of
>> the latest MSWord fromats,OpenOffice, and more than other 60 File Formats
>
> Does it run on Linux?  (WINE or otherwise)

While in 1980 when the first version was released it would run on linix
and other systems, I do not believe the current version will only run on
Windows.
On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:04:43 -0400, k-nuttle wrote:

> On 6/6/2011 10:32 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> k-nuttle wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> Rather than chasing Microsoft, try Wordperfect X5 which will open all of
>>> the latest MSWord fromats,OpenOffice, and more than other 60 File Formats
>>
>> Does it run on Linux?  (WINE or otherwise)
>>
> While in 1980 when the first version was released it would run on linix
> and other systems, I do not believe the current version will only run on
> Windows.

So use the 1980 version.
You Linux loons probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Jeb won't.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/6/2011 4:07:10 PM
k-nuttle wrote:

>>> Rather than chasing Microsoft, try Wordperfect X5 which will open all of
>>> the latest MSWord fromats,OpenOffice, and more than other 60 File Formats
>>
>> Does it run on Linux?  (WINE or otherwise)
>>
>While in 1980 when the first version was released it would run on linix
>and other systems, I do not believe the current version will only run on
>Windows.

No offense, but is English your second language?  Did you mean to say
that you believe that the current version is Windows-only?  (This does
appear to be the case.)

--
"So you think Amazon are lying when they say orders are
unprecedented?"  -  "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark, gloating about
stupid dog shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

shut the fsck up you mentally ill piece of shit.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
mag3036 (19)
6/6/2011 4:22:06 PM
On 2011-06-06, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:04:43 -0400, k-nuttle wrote:

>>> Does it run on Linux?  (WINE or otherwise)
>>>
>> While in 1980 when the first version was released it would run on linix
>> and other systems, I do not believe the current version will only run on
>> Windows.
>
> So use the 1980 version.
> You Linux loons probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
>
> Jeb won't.

   Well then educate us.

   What is the difference? Try to be precise and avoid any vague rhetoric.

--
   Apple: because you really don't want to take any more video          |||
than your camera can hold. Really.                                     / | \

0
jedi (14754)
6/6/2011 4:31:02 PM
Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
slowly.

You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
just trying to split hairs.

What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

The "users are idiots and are confused by functionality"
approach taken by Apple is a disease. If you design your
OS for idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use a
Macintosh, because in striving to be so simple, they simply
aren't capable of doing what I need them to do.

Please $teve, just tell everybody to go to Linux.
0
user805 (61)
6/8/2011 8:33:03 AM
On 6/8/2011 4:33 AM, MotoFox wrote:
> Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
> entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
> slowly.
>
> You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
> just trying to split hairs.
>
> What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.

Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
files any better than that, there's a chunk of users that will refuse to
adopt it.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/8/2011 4:33:21 PM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:33:21 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 6/8/2011 4:33 AM, MotoFox wrote:
>> Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
>> entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
>> slowly.
>>
>> You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
>> just trying to split hairs.
>>
>> What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.
>

> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
> files any better than that, there's a chunk of users that will refuse to
> adopt it.

It's hilarious watching the Linturds circling the wagons trying to
defend their FOSS crap.

Hey, that guys videos tell it all.

Linux sucks and he proves it over and over again.

The linturds can try and discredit him all they want, it doesn't change
the facts.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/8/2011 4:52:01 PM
Am Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:52:01 -0400 schrieb flatfish+++:

> Linux sucks and he proves it over and over again.
>
> The linturds can try and discredit him all they want, it doesn't change
> the facts.

Please go on with such posts. Because nothing discredits you better than
your own posts.
0
chrisdhaag (716)
6/8/2011 7:08:17 PM
On 2011-06-08, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/2011 4:33 AM, MotoFox wrote:
>> Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
>> entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
>> slowly.
>>
>> You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
>> just trying to split hairs.
>>
>> What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.
>

> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx

   It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.

   At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

--
    Apple: Because if it's not Quicktime, then it's pirated.         |||
                                                                    / | \
On 8 Jun 2011 19:08:17 GMT, Chris wrote:

> Am Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:52:01 -0400 schrieb flatfish+++:
>
>> Linux sucks and he proves it over and over again.
>>
>> The linturds can try and discredit him all they want, it doesn't change
>> the facts.
>
> Please go on with such posts. Because nothing discredits you better than
> your own posts.

As you wish:

Here is Linux/FOSS failing once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk

Open Office just can't seem to keep up!!

Start loading your spreadsheet on Friday before going home to the office
and maybe by Monday when you arrive back at work again it might be open.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

You get what you don't pay for when it comes to Linux/FOSS.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/8/2011 8:08:46 PM
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:10:54 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2011-06-08, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 6/8/2011 4:33 AM, MotoFox wrote:
>>> Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
>>> entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
>>> slowly.
>>>
>>> You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
>>> just trying to split hairs.
>>>
>>> What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.
>>

>> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
>
>    It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.
>
>    At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
> could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
> be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
> and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

That's right.
Because not much has changed.

The Linux/FOSS products are just as defective now as they were 20 years
ago.

The fact that Linux is pretty much dead as a desktop system is proof
that  most people ignore it.
Except when they are laughing at it of course.

[...]

6/8/2011 8:11:41 PM
On 6/8/2011 3:10 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2011-06-08, DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
>> On 6/8/2011 4:33 AM, MotoFox wrote:
>>> Amazing that there's someone idiotic enough to blame the "failure" of an
>>> entire class of operating systems on one single programme loading a file
>>> slowly.
>>>
>>> You know that you've no real provable case against Linux, and you're
>>> just trying to split hairs.
>>>
>>> What an asshole; flatfish+++ FAILS.
>>

>> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
>
>     It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.
>
>     At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
> could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
> be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
> and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Shows how much Lunix has progressed, then.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/8/2011 10:06:28 PM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:06:28 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 6/8/2011 3:10 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
>>
>>     It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.
>>
>>     At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
>> could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
>> be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
>> and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
>

> Shows how much Lunix has progressed, then.

Yep...

Jeb self nukes once again.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/8/2011 10:46:53 PM
DFS wrote:
> That was an *awesome* video.

Awesome?! You do have some really low standards!

> Several minutes to open the spreadsheet in the OSS slopware, vs seconds in
> MS Office.

Use a ODF file and you will see the times reverse. OpenOffice is faster than
MS Office 2007 at loading ODF files.

> You won't always see such a huge differential between OpenOffice and MS
> Office, but I have never seen OpenOffice do ANYTHING faster than MS
> Office.

I don't have much experience with MS Office 2007, but from my experience
with working on a large document in both MS Office 2007 and OpenOffice, the
later was notoriously faster at loading and editing. MS Office also
sometimes crashed.

> There's a reason the crap is free, but so few people or corporations use
> it.

OpenOffice is used by many millions of people and many corporations.

<http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-
market-shares.html>

Regards.

0
nomail6807 (1699)
6/9/2011 4:01:11 PM
Lusotec wrote:

> Dumfsck  wrote:
>>
>> That was an *awesome* video.
>
>Awesome?! You do have some really low standards!

It's propaganda that supports the troll's agenda, therefore it is
"awesome".

>Use a ODF file and you will see the times reverse. OpenOffice is faster than
>MS Office 2007 at loading ODF files.

--
"Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
piece of shit liar "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Lusotec wrote:
>
>> Dumfsck  wrote:
>>>
>>> That was an *awesome* video.
>>
>>Awesome?! You do have some really low standards!
>
> It's propaganda that supports the troll's agenda, therefore it is
> "awesome".

another fscking stupid "advocate" turd who talks about trolls 24/7.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
youk (13)
6/9/2011 5:08:28 PM
On 2011-06-08, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/2011 3:10 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
>>
>>     It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.
>>
>>     At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
>> could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
>> be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
>> and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
>

> Shows how much Lunix has progressed, then.

   Way to entirely miss the point.

   This isn't just a Linux thing. This is also very much a WinDOS thing.

     In a free market, the herd should be irrelevant.                / | \
0
jedi (14754)
6/9/2011 5:19:19 PM
chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> --
> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
> Presley and The Beatles have entries.

The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.

--
Binary, adj.:
	Possessing the ability to have friends of both sexes.
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:00:47 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Lusotec wrote:
>
>> Dumfsck  wrote:
>>>
>>> That was an *awesome* video.
>>
>>Awesome?! You do have some really low standards!
>
> It's propaganda that supports the troll's agenda, therefore it is
> "awesome".

Propaganda?
It's a fact.......
Disprove it if you can.

[...]

6/9/2011 6:11:18 PM
On 6/9/2011 2:11 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:

> Open Office just can't seem to keep up!!
>
> Start loading your spreadsheet on Friday before going home to the office
> and maybe by Monday when you arrive back at work again it might be open.

ha!  The visual on that is funny!

> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

I like how you twist the knife...

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/9/2011 6:57:21 PM
On 6/9/2011 1:27 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> --
>> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
>> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
>> Presley and The Beatles have entries.
>
> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.

What did you about them?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/9/2011 6:57:43 PM
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> writes:

> On 6/9/2011 1:27 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> --
>>> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
>>> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
>>> Presley and The Beatles have entries.
>>
>> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.
>
> What did you about them?

The creepy suck up is going to spin a new history.
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/9/2011 7:03:38 PM
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> --
>> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
>> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
>> Presley and The Beatles have entries.
>
> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.

The thread where DooFy demonstrated he didn't know the difference
between fibre channel and SCSI host adapters was funny, almost as
hilarious as the time Hadron confidently pronounced PCI-X was the
"official shortening" for PCI-Express.

What a pair of doofs.

--
K.                           | "The poor have flat-screen TVs."
http://slated.org            | ~ Libertarian propagandist Keith
Homer wrote:

>Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> --
>>> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
>>> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
>>> Presley and The Beatles have entries.
>>
>> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.
>
>The thread where DooFy demonstrated he didn't know the difference
>between fibre channel and SCSI host adapters was funny, almost as
>hilarious as the time Hadron confidently pronounced PCI-X was the
>"official shortening" for PCI-Express.
>
>What a pair of doofs.

Then there was the time that Flatshit was showing-off (Quack
supported), erroneously claiming that more negative feedback in an
amplifier gives it more "stability", apparently because the clueless
idiots could not understand a wikipedia article about the subject.
(It mentioned "gain stability" as a benefit of negative feedback,
which is a totally different thing from "stability", which is the
amplifier's resistance to oscillation.)

It's always funny when someone's "argument" is, essentially, "you're
wrong - read this wikipedia article".

Gosh, who needs an education, when we have wikipedia?    8)

0
chrisv (22840)
6/9/2011 7:46:10 PM
On 6/9/2011 3:13 PM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> --
>>> "Its called extrapolation."  -  The "honest and intelligent" Hadron
>>> Quack, arguing that yttrx deserves a wikipedia entry, since Elvis
>>> Presley and The Beatles have entries.
>>
>> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.
>
> The thread where DooFy demonstrated he didn't know the difference
> between fibre channel and SCSI host adapters was funny,

I missed that one, Hypocrite.

> almost as
> hilarious as the time Hadron confidently pronounced PCI-X was the
> "official shortening" for PCI-Express.
>
> What a pair of doofs.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/9/2011 7:46:18 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:57:21 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 6/9/2011 2:11 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> Open Office just can't seem to keep up!!
>>
>> Start loading your spreadsheet on Friday before going home to the office
>> and maybe by Monday when you arrive back at work again it might be open.
>
> ha!  The visual on that is funny!
>

>> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
>

> I like how you twist the knife...

Yep..

They, COLA Linux "advocates" are like cockroaches so you have to make
sure they are really dead before moving on.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/9/2011 7:57:48 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:03:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> writes:

>>> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.
>>
>> What did you about them?
>

> The creepy suck up is going to spin a new history.

Yep....

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/9/2011 7:58:11 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:46:10 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Homer wrote:
>
>>Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

>>> The exchanges between DFS and yttrx were classic.
>>
>>The thread where DooFy demonstrated he didn't know the difference
>>between fibre channel and SCSI host adapters was funny, almost as
>>hilarious as the time Hadron confidently pronounced PCI-X was the
>>"official shortening" for PCI-Express.
>>
>>What a pair of doofs.
>
> Then there was the time that Flatshit was showing-off (Quack
> supported), erroneously claiming that more negative feedback in an
> amplifier gives it more "stability", apparently because the clueless
> idiots could not understand a wikipedia article about the subject.

Twisting the words again I see, chrisv.....

Duhhhh....It does.....

Negative feedback is introduced to prevent instability.
Too much is as bad as none, depending upon the design.

It has nothing to do with a Wikii or your rtrying to re-write history.

> (It mentioned "gain stability" as a benefit of negative feedback,
> which is a totally different thing from "stability", which is the
> amplifier's resistance to oscillation.)

Sigh......

Buzzwords without knowing the context mean nothing.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

> It's always funny when someone's "argument" is, essentially, "you're
> wrong - read this wikipedia article".
>
> Gosh, who needs an education, when we have wikipedia?    8)

You do...
That's who does.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/9/2011 8:02:23 PM
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:11:41 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:10:54 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2011-06-08, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> Open/Libre/Office fails, on Linux or Windows.  If it won't handle .xlsx
>>
>>    It won't handle Microsoft formats well enough for a Microsoft Lemming.
>>
>>    At this point, it doesn't really matter what non-Microsoft product we
>> could be talking about here. The canned response from the Lemming would
>> be the same. You could even take an archived post from the 16-bit days
>> and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
>
> That's right.
> Because not much has changed.
>
> The Linux/FOSS products are just as defective now as they were 20
> years ago.

You know what I like about you flat-one?  I like how you always post the
essentially the same response no matter what you are responding to.  It
is as if you don't even read them.

Which isn't too surprising.  Reading would reduce your posting rate, and
that's the most important thing.

--
 -| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
 -| http://www.haucks.org/
An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly, or
> even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school to
> complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the case).
>
> But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to get
> it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from some
> posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the things I
> do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):
>
> 1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files.
> 2) create multimedia presentations for classroom lectures
> 3) develop content for online classes, including short mini-lecture movies
> 4) engrave music for private lessons and for textbooks
> 5) access the school's intra-network as well as the internet
> 6) design and typseset concise study guides and textbooks
>
> And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional quality
> results.

OpenOffice does have some serious issues with large amounts of data (I've
also had issue with very large imports of csv (comma-separated values)
files).

But, for the most part, it works very well and is very pleasant to work
with.

I use it to generate all my DOC and XLS files.

--
It would be illogical to kill without reason.
		-- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

> On 2011-06-08, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> Shows how much Lunix has progressed, then.

DooFu$ still obsessed with Lunix, an operating system designed to run
natively on the Commodore 64 and Commodore 128.

He's right. Not much has happened to Lunix since 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUnix

Dunno why the troll would want to comment on Lunix in a Linux group though,
maybe he can't find the Commodore newsgroup! :-)

>    Way to entirely miss the point.
>
>    This isn't just a Linux thing. This is also very much a WinDOS thing.

--
E Pluribus UNIX.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:02:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly, or
>> even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school to
>> complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the case).
>>
>> But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to get
>> it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from some
>> posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the things I
>> do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):
>>
>> 1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files.
>> 2) create multimedia presentations for classroom lectures
>> 3) develop content for online classes, including short mini-lecture movies
>> 4) engrave music for private lessons and for textbooks
>> 5) access the school's intra-network as well as the internet
>> 6) design and typseset concise study guides and textbooks
>>
>> And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional quality
>> results.
>
> OpenOffice does have some serious issues with large amounts of data (I've
> also had issue with very large imports of csv (comma-separated values)
> files).
>
> But, for the most part, it works very well and is very pleasant to work
> with.
>
> I use it to generate all my DOC and XLS files.

You also use OpenOffice to switch the formats of the documents you
receive at work without your bosses knowledge Chris Ahlstrom = Liarmutt.

Tags:

MLS, Chris Ahlstrom Liarmutt, Jayne, Yaris, Fiesta, Windows, Microsoft,
Linux.
--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/9/2011 10:12:17 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:57:48 -0400, flatfish+++ chiseled
1j3rmvtvfoq7v$.5k24qho0a4sq.dlg@40tude.net in stone using Trajan:

> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:57:21 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> On 6/9/2011 2:11 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>>
>>> Open Office just can't seem to keep up!!
>>>
>>> Start loading your spreadsheet on Friday before going home to the
>>> office and maybe by Monday when you arrive back at work again it might
>>> be open.
>>
>> ha!  The visual on that is funny!
>>

>>> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
>>

>> I like how you twist the knife...
>
> Yep..
>
> They, COLA Linux "advocates" are like cockroaches so you have to make
> sure they are really dead before moving on.

I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly, or
even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school to
complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the case).

But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to get
it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from some
posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the things I
do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):

1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files.
2) create multimedia presentations for classroom lectures
3) develop content for online classes, including short mini-lecture movies
4) engrave music for private lessons and for textbooks
5) access the school's intra-network as well as the internet
6) design and typseset concise study guides and textbooks

And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional quality
results.
0
an.old (536)
6/9/2011 10:47:29 PM
On 6/9/2011 6:12 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:02:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly, or
>>> even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school to
>>> complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the case).
>>>
>>> But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to get
>>> it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from some
>>> posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the things I
>>> do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):
>>>
>>> 1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files.
>>> 2) create multimedia presentations for classroom lectures
>>> 3) develop content for online classes, including short mini-lecture movies
>>> 4) engrave music for private lessons and for textbooks
>>> 5) access the school's intra-network as well as the internet
>>> 6) design and typseset concise study guides and textbooks
>>>
>>> And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional quality
>>> results.
>>
>> OpenOffice does have some serious issues with large amounts of data (I've
>> also had issue with very large imports of csv (comma-separated values)
>> files).
>>
>> But, for the most part, it works very well and is very pleasant to work
>> with.
>>
>> I use it to generate all my DOC and XLS files.
>
> You also use OpenOffice to switch the formats of the documents you
> receive at work without your bosses knowledge Chris Ahlstrom = Liarmutt.

They call it "stealth advocacy".

> Tags:
>
> MLS, Chris Ahlstrom Liarmutt, Jayne, Yaris, Fiesta, Windows, Microsoft,
> Linux.

LMFAO!!!!!   That's hilarious!

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/9/2011 10:54:30 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:54:30 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 6/9/2011 6:12 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> OpenOffice does have some serious issues with large amounts of data (I've
>>> also had issue with very large imports of csv (comma-separated values)
>>> files).
>>>
>>> But, for the most part, it works very well and is very pleasant to work
>>> with.
>>>
>>> I use it to generate all my DOC and XLS files.
>>
>> You also use OpenOffice to switch the formats of the documents you
>> receive at work without your bosses knowledge Chris Ahlstrom = Liarmutt.
>

> They call it "stealth advocacy".

Hahaha!
Good one!

I like that!

It's like "stealth desktop Linux market share".
According to the loons, Linux desktop is all over the place.
Only problem is not many people have ever encountered it in the wild.

>> Tags:
>>
>> MLS, Chris Ahlstrom Liarmutt, Jayne, Yaris, Fiesta, Windows, Microsoft,
>> Linux.
>
> LMFAO!!!!!   That's hilarious!

Thanks!

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/9/2011 11:01:39 PM
On 6/9/2011 6:47 PM, An Old Friend wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:57:48 -0400, flatfish+++ chiseled
> 1j3rmvtvfoq7v$.5k24qho0a4sq.dlg@40tude.net in stone using Trajan:

>>> ha!  The visual on that is funny!

>>> I like how you twist the knife...
>>
>> Yep..
>>
>> They, COLA Linux "advocates" are like cockroaches so you have to make
>> sure they are really dead before moving on.
>
> I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly, or
> even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school to
> complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the case).
>
> But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to get
> it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from some
> posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the things I
> do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):
>
> 1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files.
> 2) create multimedia presentations for classroom lectures
> 3) develop content for online classes, including short mini-lecture movies
> 4) engrave music for private lessons and for textbooks
> 5) access the school's intra-network as well as the internet
> 6) design and typseset concise study guides and textbooks
>
> And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional quality
> results.

It all depends on the size and complexity of the document, and the OSS app.

I can't speak for Lilypond? or any music apps, but I know for certain
OpenOffice Calc and Writer will mangle your MS Office documents if they
contain a lot of charts and graphs and tables - at least that was the
case when I last checked.

If your MS Office documents depend on any VBA code, they will completely
fail to run when opened in Open Office - again, last I checked.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/10/2011 2:21:09 AM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:21:09 -0400, DFS chiseled isrv2v$am$7@dont-email.me
in stone using Trajan:

> On 6/9/2011 6:47 PM, An Old Friend wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:57:48 -0400, flatfish+++ chiseled
>> 1j3rmvtvfoq7v$.5k24qho0a4sq.dlg@40tude.net in stone using Trajan:

>>> Yep..
>>>
>>> They, COLA Linux "advocates" are like cockroaches so you have to make
>>> sure they are really dead before moving on.
>>
>> I'm thankful that none of the files I use at the college load slowly,
>> or even have any formatting problems significant enough for the school
>> to complain (and they would in a moment's notice if that were the
>> case).
>>
>> But maybe I'm just lucky and the only person who seems to be able to
>> get it all to work acceptably. Certainly the overall impression from
>> some posters here seems to be that I shouldn't be able to do all the
>> things I do with Lubuntu and LibreOffice (and other FOSS products):
>>
>> 1) work with Microsoft Word and Excel files. 2) create multimedia
>> presentations for classroom lectures 3) develop content for online
>> classes, including short mini-lecture movies 4) engrave music for
>> private lessons and for textbooks 5) access the school's intra-network
>> as well as the internet 6) design and typseset concise study guides and
>> textbooks
>>
>> And I do it using readily available tools and achieve professional
>> quality results.
>

> It all depends on the size and complexity of the document, and the OSS
> app.
>
> I can't speak for Lilypond? or any music apps, but I know for certain
> OpenOffice Calc and Writer will mangle your MS Office documents if they
> contain a lot of charts and graphs and tables - at least that was the
> case when I last checked.

The most complex word processing documents that I get are when I have to
submit rubrics. The template table they created using Word alternates
between white and grey backgrounds in the rows.

None of the Excel files are true spreadsheet docs in the sense that they
contain calculations. They are using Excel files for database purposes:
student enrollment and attendance, etc.

> If your MS Office documents depend on any VBA code, they will completely
> fail to run when opened in Open Office - again, last I checked.

None of the files I work with contain any macros or other MS-centric code.
If I were required to work with a file that contained such code, I would
have to use the copy of Office 2007 that is present on the desktop
computer in my adjunct office.
0
an.old (536)
6/10/2011 7:46:23 PM
On 06/09/2011 11:01 AM, Lusotec wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>> That was an *awesome* video.
>
> Awesome?! You do have some really low standards!
>
>> Several minutes to open the spreadsheet in the OSS slopware, vs seconds in
>> MS Office.
>
> Use a ODF file and you will see the times reverse. OpenOffice is faster than
> MS Office 2007 at loading ODF files.
>
>> You won't always see such a huge differential between OpenOffice and MS
>> Office, but I have never seen OpenOffice do ANYTHING faster than MS
>> Office.
>
> I don't have much experience with MS Office 2007, but from my experience
> with working on a large document in both MS Office 2007 and OpenOffice, the
> later was notoriously faster at loading and editing. MS Office also
> sometimes crashed.
>
>> There's a reason the crap is free, but so few people or corporations use
>> it.
>
> OpenOffice is used by many millions of people and many corporations.
>
> <http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-
> market-shares.html>
>
> Regards.

demangled link:

http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html
0
matt281 (1555)

Linux, Linux, Linux

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/deskto...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a fa...

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Why Linux has failed, and why Linux will fail again.
http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2004/01/linux-failed "While Linux-whiners may argue all that we want that Windows is not about freedom, I'll state the opposite: Windows is all about freedom. Windows is freedom from complicated choices, it's freedom from having to learn something new, something not really relevant to the task you want to do." A 2004 article, still valid 7 years later! Linux market-share dropped since 2004. http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/jan04_pie.gif 1% ==> 0.91% -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windo...

An Example Of Linux Failing. Linux vs FitBit.
The Fitbit devices are insanely popular, much more so than the editor vi, a= nd you can hardly visit any big box store like BestBuy without seeing them = all over the place. Since I recently received one of these devices as a gift I decided to see w= hat was involved in installing and configuring it under both Windows and Li= nux. First Windows. Follow the link in the instructions to www.fitbit.com and it sets everythin= g up for you. Time spent 5 minutes, maybe. Linux. Good fucking luck. You'll need it. Install the requisite libraries Galileo is wrote in python so ...

[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

Linux performance problems blamed for why OpenOffice performs MUCH BETTER on Windows than Linux
<quote> "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still performing much better on Windows than it does on Linux, it seems more likely to us that the performance problems seen above are less Mozilla's fault and more down to general performance issues on Linux. </quote> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/linux-loses-to-windows-in-firefox-benchmarks-528536 Ezekiel wrote: > > <quote> > > "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still > performing much better on Windo...

[News] [Linux] More Games on Linux (Even DoFuS), Linux Applications on Windows
Linux gaming, part four: massive multiplayer online games ,----[ Quote ] | Dofus as an online game with fun graphics and a huge player community, it | has over three million players. The website of the game says it’s | half-way between a tactical video game and an interactive cartoon. `---- http://kahvipapu.com/blog/2007/06/26/linux-gaming-part-four-massive-multiplayer-online-games/ Linux on Windows with Lina ,----[ Quote ] | Building off a concept similar to Java, LINA aims to provide open-source | developers the ability to compile applications that will run on all of | Windows, MacOS...

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

Web resources about - Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........ - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Spreadsheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A spreadsheet is an interactive computer application program for organization and analysis of data in tabular form. Spreadsheets developed as ...

iSpreadsheet Free (Mobile Spreadsheet) on the App Store on iTunes
Get iSpreadsheet Free (Mobile Spreadsheet) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

spreadsheets - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore jensminor's photos on Flickr. jensminor has uploaded 1567 photos to Flickr.

Excel 97 Easter Egg - Turn Your Spreadsheet Into a Space Sim - YouTube
Yes, an easter egg in the most boring application of all time: Excel. When the easter egg starts, you're shown a outer-space 3D environment where ...

Sex between the spreadsheets: quick tips to reinvigorate the daily grind
... are from Venus. That’s even more of a given (but don’t say so because you know how they overreact). And the darkly hilarious marriage spreadsheet ...

A Husband Sent His Wife This Spreadsheet Of All The Times She Rejected Him For Sex
A husband fed up with his wife rejecting his sexual advances kept a spreadsheet of all of the excuses she gave him – and it has ended up on the ...

Sex and trouble between the spreadsheets
... are from Venus. That's even more of a given (but don't say so because you know how they overreact). And the darkly hilarious marriage spreadsheet ...

I'm not a spreadsheet with hair. It's me. I'm here: pop royalty Lorde
A couple of weeks ago I was up on a stage. This is not particularly wild news - I'm on stages pretty often. This stage in particular was long ...

Brekkie Wrap: Newtown killer had death spreadsheet; Hillary Clinton backs gay marriage
WHILE you were sleeping reports emerged that the Sandy Hook shooter kept a huge spreadsheet of mass murders and was determined to get the highest ...

How do you keep track of your dating life? Is this 'dating spreadsheet' creepy?
A lovelorn finance worker has learned the hard way that if you need a spreadsheet to keep track of all the women you're dating, it's best not ...