Windows 8 -- "disjointed" "schizophrenic"

The conclusion of the article on Windows 8...

~~
There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any
duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches
and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek
movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its
predecessors. And that is saying something.

There is a new, vast, and potentially loyal group of users who are just
now being introduced to a higher plane of technology by way of tablets and
multitouch PCs. If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users
with a schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is
anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then it
will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is where the
future of Windows either finally comes together or completely falls apart.
~~
http://snipurl.com/22nmew7

What a mess.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> The conclusion of the article on Windows 8...
>
> ~~
> There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any
> duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches
> and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek
> movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its
> predecessors. And that is saying something.
>
> There is a new, vast, and potentially loyal group of users who are just
> now being introduced to a higher plane of technology by way of tablets and
> multitouch PCs. If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users
> with a schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is
> anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then it
> will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is where the
> future of Windows either finally comes together or completely falls apart.
> ~~
> http://snipurl.com/22nmew7
>
> What a mess.

The author has another link:

   http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2012/03/how-windows-8-succeeds-from-he.php

   The value proposition, which I've gathered from various sources
   including Windows Division President Steven Sinofsky speaking to my
   face, is this: You, the consumer, prefer a rearranged environment
   that at the very least reminds you of a multitouch device, even if it
   can't yet be one, and that emulates many of the thrills of using your
   smartphone. Owning a modern smartphone or tablet reminds you of just
   how dull and commonplace a PC has become. You would pay money to feel
   that your PC - whose very name already seems antique - was built in
   the same decade as your communications device. A marketing campaign
   that fits the flavor of Windows 8 thus far might begin with someone
   saying, "All right, all right... you win."

One way to look at this is, well, is Microsoft knuckling under to the
concept of an Android Desktop?

A sniff of it from 2009...

   http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/156267/startup_founders_turn_android_into_desktop_os.html

   Google has been slowly, but surely, displacing Microsoft as the
   number one PC technology company. Google has done it by misdirection.
   Instead of taking Microsoft head-on in desktops, Google first
   consolidated their hold on Web search and only then started moving
   into Web-based desktop applications.

Exactly.  No one can muscle Microsoft off their turf, not even the DOJ
or EU regulators.

   Then, in 2008, they made their first direct strike at the desktop
   with the release of their own Web browser: Google Chrome. Now,
   Matthaus Krzykowski and Daniel Hartmann, founders of the stealth
   startup Mobile-facts, have found that you can take Google's
   smartphone operating system, Android, and use it as a desktop
   operating system.

--
Microsoft - Which end of the stick do you want today?
   -- Unknown

> If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users with a
> schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is
> anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview,
> then it will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is
> where the future of Windows either finally comes together or
> completely falls apart.
> ~~
> http://snipurl.com/22nmew7
>
> What a mess.

Microsoft still has its OEM racket to protect its "desktop" business
though, no matter how crap its products are. That's the whole point of a
monopoly: to protect products from the normal process of supply and
demand, by removing choice. So ultimately those buying "desktops" will
still be forced to pay Microsoft for Windows, whether they want it or
not.

But Microsoft does /not/ have that same power over non-desktop products,
like smartphones and tablets, and in particular it has no power at all
in the ARM segment, where it's ARM version of "Windows" isn't really
Windows at all, won't run Windows applications, and thus will draw zero
interest from those (who think they are) dependent on Windows software.

Pretty much just like "Windows" Phone 7 which, remember, only commands
about 1.9% of the market, and with good reason.

Barring legal intervention (e.g. unbundling Windows), I don't see what
else can possibly break Microsoft's OEM racket, so it seems clear it'll
continue to dominate the "desktop", for as long as the "desktop" exists.

However, I think the "desktop" itself will start to disappear, and it'll
do so even more rapidly after the release of Windows 8, precisely
because "desktop" customers will have no choice of OS on those systems,
but they'll hate it as much as they currently hate "Windows" Phone 7.

That will drive them to tablets and other ARM systems, where the only
Microsoft offering is one that looks just as awful as its "desktop"
counterpart, with the added disincentive that it can't even run real
Windows applications. But unlike with the "desktop", in /this/ market
customers actually have /choice/, and they'll use that freedom to choose
something /other/ than "Windows".

Essentially, Microsoft will be decimated by its own racket.

Poetic justice.

--
K.                           | "You see? You cannot kill me. There is no flesh
http://slated.org            |  and blood within this cloak to kill. There is

> Verily I say unto thee that RonB spake thusly:
>
>> If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users with a
>> schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is
>> anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview,
>> then it will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is
>> where the future of Windows either finally comes together or
>> completely falls apart.
>> ~~
>> http://snipurl.com/22nmew7
>>
>> What a mess.
>
> Microsoft still has its OEM racket to protect its "desktop" business
> though, no matter how crap its products are. That's the whole point of a
> monopoly: to protect products from the normal process of supply and
> demand, by removing choice. So ultimately those buying "desktops" will
> still be forced to pay Microsoft for Windows, whether they want it or
> not.

People are not forced to pay for Windows when they get a computer.  Let us
be very clear: this is a fantasy you believe in to help you avoid the fact
that few people want any form of desktop Linux.  You cannot understand why
people would shun such products because you are amazingly ignorant of the
reasons people use computers and the value the user experience offers them.
So you create a bogeyman to explain away the poor performance in the market
of your favored product.

That is what is happening here. Nothing else.  MS is not and cannot force me
to pay for Windows when I buy a PC.

> But Microsoft does /not/ have that same power over non-desktop products,
> like smartphones and tablets, and in particular it has no power at all
> in the ARM segment, where it's ARM version of "Windows" isn't really
> Windows at all, won't run Windows applications, and thus will draw zero
> interest from those (who think they are) dependent on Windows software.

Why would running Windows applications matter if they had some form of
ubercontrol that had nothing to do with the value of running applications?

Your own story is self-refuting  It is utter nonsense.

> Pretty much just like "Windows" Phone 7 which, remember, only commands
> about 1.9% of the market, and with good reason.

Right: people do not want it.  Same reason desktop Linux, all versions
combined, holds about the same percent of the desktop.  People do not want
it.

When MS has a low user base you note it is because the product is not well
desired.  When a Linux based product (or set of products) is in the exact
same boat, you blame the bogeyman.

Utter nonsense on your part.

> Barring legal intervention (e.g. unbundling Windows), I don't see what
> else can possibly break Microsoft's OEM racket, so it seems clear it'll
> continue to dominate the "desktop", for as long as the "desktop" exists.

How about working on making desktop Linux offer a truly competitive
environment... one even better than what Windows offers.  That is what Apple
does with OS X and they do very well, even with selling Macs at a price
range many times the average of the price range of a Windows PC.  Imagine if
Macs were *free*.

> However, I think the "desktop" itself will start to disappear, and it'll
> do so even more rapidly after the release of Windows 8, precisely
> because "desktop" customers will have no choice of OS on those systems,
> but they'll hate it as much as they currently hate "Windows" Phone 7.

No choice.  Not even you consider Ubuntu or Mint or any of the other of
dozens of Linux based desktops systems reasonable choices for the general
population.  Good of you to admit to this.

> That will drive them to tablets and other ARM systems, where the only
> Microsoft offering is one that looks just as awful as its "desktop"
> counterpart, with the added disincentive that it can't even run real
> Windows applications. But unlike with the "desktop", in /this/ market
> customers actually have /choice/, and they'll use that freedom to choose
> something /other/ than "Windows".

With tablets, so far, the main choice has been the iPad.  Predictions are
that will continue, unless you include low-end devices made largely as
eReaders and the like (the nook is doing well).  By the way, the Nook has
earned doing well - it is a product that is not a me-too product just trying
to copy Apple.  Good!

> Essentially, Microsoft will be decimated by its own racket.
>
> Poetic justice.

Do you have any idea how delusional you are?

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
3/18/2012 3:51:33 AM
On Sunday 18 March 2012 03:51 Snit wrote:

> People are not forced to pay for Windows when they get a computer.  Let us
> be very clear: this is a fantasy you believe in to help you avoid the fact
> that few people want any form of desktop Linux.  You cannot understand why
> people would shun such products because you are amazingly ignorant of the
> reasons people use computers and the value the user experience offers
> them. So you create a bogeyman to explain away the poor performance in the
> market of your favored product.
>
> That is what is happening here. Nothing else.  MS is not and cannot force
> me to pay for Windows when I buy a PC.

This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-

Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.

Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
that comes with with the pre-installed version.
i.e.  I want a *full* copy of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm
happy to do the installation, also to pay an incremental cost.

How does one go about it?

Tell me, how does one go about it?
0
bbgruff (6628)
3/18/2012 12:46:37 PM
bbgruff stated in post 9sm3pcFle9U1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 5:46 AM:

> On Sunday 18 March 2012 03:51 Snit wrote:
>
>> People are not forced to pay for Windows when they get a computer.  Let us
>> be very clear: this is a fantasy you believe in to help you avoid the fact
>> that few people want any form of desktop Linux.  You cannot understand why
>> people would shun such products because you are amazingly ignorant of the
>> reasons people use computers and the value the user experience offers
>> them. So you create a bogeyman to explain away the poor performance in the
>> market of your favored product.
>>
>> That is what is happening here. Nothing else.  MS is not and cannot force
>> me to pay for Windows when I buy a PC.
>
> This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-
>
> Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
> manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.
>
> Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
> that comes with with the pre-installed version.
> i.e.  I want a *full* copy of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm
> happy to do the installation, also to pay an incremental cost.
>
> How does one go about it?
>

> Tell me, how does one go about it?

I would suggest the friend call the companies and see if they have the
products he is looking for.  He can also do a web search, but their sites
are often not done well.

Not to sound offensive but this seems pretty obvious to me.

But I think you are trying to suggest you think they do not have the product
he wants.  Maybe they do.  Maybe they do not.  Either way, I do not see how
it relates: companies often do not have products I want them to have or they
charge more than I want to pay or other things come up and I do not get what
I want.  So be it.

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
3/18/2012 4:20:50 PM
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:20:50 -0700, Snit wrote:

> bbgruff stated in post 9sm3pcFle9U1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 5:46 AM:
>
>> On Sunday 18 March 2012 03:51 Snit wrote:
>>
>>> People are not forced to pay for Windows when they get a computer.  Let us
>>> be very clear: this is a fantasy you believe in to help you avoid the fact
>>> that few people want any form of desktop Linux.  You cannot understand why
>>> people would shun such products because you are amazingly ignorant of the
>>> reasons people use computers and the value the user experience offers
>>> them. So you create a bogeyman to explain away the poor performance in the
>>> market of your favored product.
>>>
>>> That is what is happening here. Nothing else.  MS is not and cannot force
>>> me to pay for Windows when I buy a PC.
>>
>> This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-
>>
>> Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
>> manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.
>>
>> Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
>> that comes with with the pre-installed version.
>> i.e.  I want a *full* copy of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm
>> happy to do the installation, also to pay an incremental cost.
>>
>> How does one go about it?
>>

>> Tell me, how does one go about it?
>
> I would suggest the friend call the companies and see if they have the
> products he is looking for.  He can also do a web search, but their sites
> are often not done well.
>
> Not to sound offensive but this seems pretty obvious to me.
>
> But I think you are trying to suggest you think they do not have the product
> he wants.  Maybe they do.  Maybe they do not.  Either way, I do not see how
> it relates: companies often do not have products I want them to have or they
> charge more than I want to pay or other things come up and I do not get what
> I want.  So be it.

The same thing could be said for many products.

I just bought a smart phone from a major vendor that came with a USB
cable and a charger.
I must have 1/2 a dozen of those things laying around so why should
I have to pay for yet another one?
Do I like it?
No, but I realize that most people will not have these things laying
around and it's advantageous to have the newest version anyway.
The manufacturer is selling a complete solution.

These Linux loons really stretch the envelope.

If they don't like getting Windows or trial ware pre-loaded,
purchase from another source.

Like these guys:

http://www.emperorlinux.com/
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
3/18/2012 4:28:13 PM
Foster stated in post kybo256g7nlw.1n7dhxzc476bt.dlg@40tude.net on 3/18/12
9:28 AM:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:20:50 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> bbgruff stated in post 9sm3pcFle9U1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 5:46 AM:

>>> This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-
>>>
>>> Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
>>> manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.
>>>
>>> Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
>>> that comes with with the pre-installed version.
>>> i.e.  I want a *full* copy of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm
>>> happy to do the installation, also to pay an incremental cost.
>>>
>>> How does one go about it?
>>>

>>> Tell me, how does one go about it?
>>
>> I would suggest the friend call the companies and see if they have the
>> products he is looking for.  He can also do a web search, but their sites
>> are often not done well.
>>
>> Not to sound offensive but this seems pretty obvious to me.
>>
>> But I think you are trying to suggest you think they do not have the product
>> he wants.  Maybe they do.  Maybe they do not.  Either way, I do not see how
>> it relates: companies often do not have products I want them to have or they
>> charge more than I want to pay or other things come up and I do not get what
>> I want.  So be it.
>
> The same thing could be said for many products.
>
> I just bought a smart phone from a major vendor that came with a USB
> cable and a charger.

I recently bought a printer and it came with a USB cable I did not need.
Has a fax function I am not likely to use but it came with a phone cable
anyway... I have phone cables.  No need for it.  Yeah, I want my money back
on those!

But I bet if I went to the manufacturer and made such a demand they would
laugh in my face... or at least as soon as I walked out the door.  What an
absurd thing to demand.

> I must have 1/2 a dozen of those things laying around so why should
> I have to pay for yet another one?
> Do I like it?
> No, but I realize that most people will not have these things laying
> around and it's advantageous to have the newest version anyway.
> The manufacturer is selling a complete solution.

Exactly.  My above, if it is not clear, is sarcasm. They sold a printer with
the

> These Linux loons really stretch the envelope.
>
> If they don't like getting Windows or trial ware pre-loaded,
> purchase from another source.
>
> Like these guys:
>
> http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Right.  And if there was a large demand for such systems such companies
would grow quickly... until Dell and the like noticed and bought them or
out-competed with them.  These companies do well because they know they are
selling to a niche small enough for Dell and HP to not really focus on.
These companies know this is not what people generally want so they serve
the small numbers that do.  Good for them and I wish them well and success.
But I do not get why people would whine about Dell and HP not putting these
guys out of business.

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
3/18/2012 4:37:24 PM
On Sunday 18 March 2012 16:20 Snit wrote:

> bbgruff stated in post 9sm3pcFle9U1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 5:46 AM:
>
>> On Sunday 18 March 2012 03:51 Snit wrote:
>>
>>> People are not forced to pay for Windows when they get a computer.  Let
>>> us be very clear: this is a fantasy you believe in to help you avoid the
>>> fact
>>> that few people want any form of desktop Linux.  You cannot understand
>>> why people would shun such products because you are amazingly ignorant
>>> of the reasons people use computers and the value the user experience
>>> offers them. So you create a bogeyman to explain away the poor
>>> performance in the market of your favored product.
>>>
>>> That is what is happening here. Nothing else.  MS is not and cannot
>>> force me to pay for Windows when I buy a PC.
>>
>> This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-
>>
>> Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
>> manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.
>>
>> Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
>> that comes with with the pre-installed version.
>> i.e.  I want a *full* copy of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm
>> happy to do the installation, also to pay an incremental cost.
>>
>> How does one go about it?
>>

>> Tell me, how does one go about it?
>
> I would suggest the friend call the companies and see if they have the
> products he is looking for.  He can also do a web search, but their sites
> are often not done well.
>
> Not to sound offensive but this seems pretty obvious to me.
>
> But I think you are trying to suggest you think they do not have the
> product
> he wants.  Maybe they do.  Maybe they do not.  Either way, I do not see
> how it relates: companies often do not have products I want them to have
> or they charge more than I want to pay or other things come up and I do
> not get what
> I want.  So be it.

Don't lose sleep on this one - problem solved.

I suggested to him that he check it out, but I'd heard that one could:-
 - Wipe the HD of the new machine.
 - Do a clean install from a "full" Windows 7 (any copy).
 - Input the activation code that came with the pre-installed version.

He's followed it up, and yes, it works fine.
"Clean" Windows in there, and without all the crud.  Not a "full licence" of
course, but he didn't pay for a "full licence".  He's happy.
I guess the only losers are the folks who pay to have the "30-day crud"
installed:-)

0
bbgruff (6628)
3/18/2012 4:54:02 PM
bbgruff stated in post 9smi96F66dU1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 9:54 AM:

> On Sunday 18 March 2012 16:20 Snit wrote:
>
>> bbgruff stated in post 9sm3pcFle9U1@mid.individual.net on 3/18/12 5:46 AM:

>>> This is a serious question - I have a friend asking me:-
>>>
>>> Just suppose I want to buy a PC (;aptop, actually) from one of the big
>>> manufacturers, like Lenovo, Dell, HP etc.
>>>
>>> Suppose also that I *want* Windows 7, *but* I do *not* want all the clag
>>> that comes with with the pre-installed version. i.e.  I want a *full* copy
>>> of Windows, full licence, etc, and suppose I'm happy to do the installation,
>>> also to pay an incremental cost.
>>>
>>> How does one go about it?
>>>

>>> Tell me, how does one go about it?
>>
>> I would suggest the friend call the companies and see if they have the
>> products he is looking for.  He can also do a web search, but their sites are
>> often not done well.
>>
>> Not to sound offensive but this seems pretty obvious to me.
>>
>> But I think you are trying to suggest you think they do not have the product
>> he wants.  Maybe they do.  Maybe they do not.  Either way, I do not see how
>> it relates: companies often do not have products I want them to have or they
>> charge more than I want to pay or other things come up and I do not get what
>> I want.  So be it.
>>
> Don't lose sleep on this one - problem solved.

Thanks... not that I would have lost sleep, but for telling me the problem
is solved.  No offense, I would not have lost sleep anyway.  :)

> I suggested to him that he check it out, but I'd heard that one could:-
>  - Wipe the HD of the new machine.
>  - Do a clean install from a "full" Windows 7 (any copy).
>  - Input the activation code that came with the pre-installed version.
>
> He's followed it up, and yes, it works fine.
> "Clean" Windows in there, and without all the crud.  Not a "full licence" of
> course, but he didn't pay for a "full licence".  He's happy.
> I guess the only losers are the folks who pay to have the "30-day crud"
> installed:-)

Yup.  And I do find it absurd how much garbage they install on Dells and the
like... but that is part of what keeps the price lower.

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
3/18/2012 5:17:50 PM
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:22:17 +0000, Homer wrote:

> Essentially, Microsoft will be decimated by its own racket.
>
> Poetic justice.

Sometimes it works out that way... Now, if we could only apply this
principle to Goldman Sachs and their ilk.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.7 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
or Linux Mint 10
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
3/18/2012 7:51:08 PM
RonB wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:22:17 +0000, Homer wrote:
>
>> Essentially, Microsoft will be decimated by its own racket.
>>
>> Poetic justice.
>
>Sometimes it works out that way... Now, if we could only apply this
>principle to Goldman Sachs and their ilk.

Interest article in the NY Times, eh?

No surprise to me, though.  I've never trusted those evil bastards on
Wall Street, or, for that matter, Joe Average "investment advisor".

They *all* have conflicts of interest.

--
'And its KDE - nothing there for the Gnome purist. "Choice" diluting
the useful applications once again.'  -  "True Linux advocate" Hadron
On 3/17/2012 12:24 AM, RonB wrote:

<pfft>

Somehow these clowns think MS and Windows are going away. :) It's
laughable to say the least about it. As usual, it's the same old handful
of COLA clowns yapping, leaping off the walls  with the barking on the
demise of MS. :)
0
Steel1605 (47)

Linux chief: =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=98Open?= source is safer, and Linux is more secure than any other =?UTF-8?Q?OS=E2=80=99?=
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/26/linux-chief-open-source-is-safer-and-linux-is-more-secure-than-any-other-os-exclusive/ We also learn about the much-alluded-to Linux backdoor. -- For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. -- Harrison On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:20:16 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/26/linux-chief-open-source-is-safer-and-linux-is-more-secure-than-any-other-os-exclusive/ > > We also learn about the much-alluded-to Linux backdoor. And in other news, Bill Gates claims Windows is the bset operating sy...

Windows / OSX Advocacy vs Linux Advocacy
Windows or OSX advocate: I did some testing and comparison between Windows and Linux and Linux just does not seem to be performing up to the same level as Windows or OSX. Here are my benchmarks. Here are some videos showing the differences. Here are some screen shots showing inconsistencies with Linux compared to Windows or OSX. Can someone show me Linux software that can perform xyorz as well as the Windows or OSX software can? Linux advocate: Your benchmarks are faked. Your screenshots are photo-shopped. Why would anyone need to perform xyorz? I can do all of that as well w...

vim UTF-8 (windows) vim UTF-8 (linux)
ok this is one of those !!!!!*(#$&@#*&(#@%&%##&*#(&(*#!!!!!! driving me nuts things. When i create a shell script in windows using vim UTF-8 and upload it on linux UTF-8. Windows manage to put a invisible ^M at every line breaking my shell script when i want to run it telling me #!/bin/ bash^M doesnt exist. When i edit the file in vim to romve all does ^M i cant see them and aslo can't remove them. For beeeeep sake how do i remove does invisible ^M in vim linux utf-8 PS root@localhost:/srv/trunk# locale LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_AU:en LC_CTYPE="...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

eTcl 8.4.12-pl16 for Windows, Linux and Windows Mobile
I'm pleased to announce immediate availability of eTcl 8.4.12-pl16 for Windows, Linux and Windows Mobile (2003, 2003SE and 5.0) pocketPC and smartphones. As usual, it is available from: http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/index.html Compared to latest version announced on c.l.t (pl9), this release offers some major new features: - Tile support is now included into eTcl core on all platform (including Windows Mobile), offering not only a native look and feel under Windows XP, a revitalized look under X11, and a powerful dynamic theme engine, but also new important widgets (n...

How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?
I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files contained in the backup. Is there a way to restore these files using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux? Best, Myles mylesv@gmail.com wrote: > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files > contained in...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a fa...

ANNOUNCE: eTcl 8.4.12-pl9 for Windows, Linux and Windows Mobile
I'm pleased to announce immediate availability of eTcl 8.4.12-pl9 for Windows, Linux and Windows Mobile (2003 or 5.0) pocketPC and smartphones. As usual, it is available from: http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/index.html On all platforms, this release includes a new implementation for embedded virtual filesystem based on ZIP archives. Mounting either a large ZIP file, or a large number of archives, no more degrades performances. It also consumes much less memory, so benefit is especially important on platform with small fooprint (namely handhelds and smartphones). Some other...

[News] Sister OS to Linux, OS-X Has Better TCO than Microsoft Windows
Following illustrates why Microsoft Vista Windows is losing to a more superior OS: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/660E746C-F388-4AC7-98F5-6CB951501472.html or http://tinyurl.com/fwnxt Windows 5x More Expensive than Mac OS X [quote] A Mac user since 2000, upgrading to each new version of Mac OS X: 1. �$300 in operating system updates, or nearly $400 if purchased at full retail. 2. �Three major new releases that significantly improved performance of the same hardware and introduced new apps. 3. �Thirty one regular minor updates with bug fixes and new features, in addi...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

[News] Bordeaux 1.8 for GNU/Linux is Out, GNU/Linux Runs Windows Applications Too

Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security
Read it and weep, Linux losers. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005 attacks. A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 +0000, Dr Alw is a loser wrote: > Read it and weep, Linux lose...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram On Jul 11, 8:44 am, ramson...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources, that would be very transparent once...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram <ramsonney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184161595.496086.263480@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? > > Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards > > Ram &g...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS in the Making; =?UTF-8?B?RXhvbuKAmXM=?= Quran PDA Runs Linux Too

Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 The message is in the video. That means play the stupid thing, People! On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote: > Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 > > The message is in the video. > > That means play the stupid thing, People! lol ! What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications. What he fails to mention is out of the b...

Windows and Linux Tips #8
Hi friends, Do u need Windows and Linux Tips? Please visit the following site: http://windowsandlinuxtips.blogspot.com/ ...

Mac OS 8.6 from OS 8.5 question
I would like to upgrade a Powerbook 1400, which currently has OS 8.5 on it, to OS 8.6. The computer is only being used for fairly simple tasks, so getting a more recent computer isn't worthwhile at this point. My understanding is that the OS 8.6 update is still available on the Apple web site, and I can find a page listing of a lot of old software to download (including some OS 6 stuff as well as stuff from the Apple II era) here: http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html However, the only 8.6 relevant information there is a text file. This test file has some URLs in it...

Windows and Linux Tips #8
Hi friends, Do u need Windows and Linux Tips? Please visit the following site: http://windowsandlinuxtips.blogspot.com/ ...

Windows and Linux Tips #8
Hi friends, Do u need Windows and Linux Tips? Please visit the following site: http://windowsandlinuxtips.blogspot.com/ ...

[News] Linux, Unlike Windows, Runs Both Linux and Windows Programs

ooRexx and Windows 7, Windows 8, IE 8 and IE 10

Web resources about - Windows 8 -- "disjointed" "schizophrenic" - comp.os.linux.advocacy