f



Xfce 4.4 beta 1 (4.3.90.1) released

http://www.xfce.org

I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
GUI wrapper):

http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.3.90.1/installers/xfce4-4.3.90.1-installer.bin

It's pretty nice, and includes a better-working version of Terminal
(including a pretty nifty translucence/image feature), and
a new file manager called Thunar, which I haven't yet tried.

The taskbar app has been folded into the panel app, which itself now
supports more than one panel, and each panel can be pared down to a
single item, and be made freely movable.

The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).

Seems like a nice upgrade so far.

-- 
Tux rocks!
0
linonut2 (5242)
5/9/2006 12:05:54 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
950 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

Linonut wrote:

> http://www.xfce.org
> 
> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
> GUI wrapper):
> 
>
http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.3.90.1/installers/xfce4-4.3.90.1-installer.bin
> 
> It's pretty nice, and includes a better-working version of Terminal
> (including a pretty nifty translucence/image feature), and
> a new file manager called Thunar, which I haven't yet tried.
> 
> The taskbar app has been folded into the panel app, which itself now
> supports more than one panel, and each panel can be pared down to a
> single item, and be made freely movable.
> 
> The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).
> 
> Seems like a nice upgrade so far.
> 

oops. I'm sure it was just an accident linonut, but you put the link
directly to a download. 

New Linux users might not think to check that their machines are to spec or
that they are downloading the correct version.

The link for those wanting to look at this is http://www.xfce.org


0
spam226 (1980)
5/9/2006 12:18:11 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, BearItAll belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> http://www.xfce.org
>> 
>> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
>> GUI wrapper):
>>
> http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.3.90.1/installers/xfce4-4.3.90.1-installer.bin
>
> oops. I'm sure it was just an accident linonut, but you put the link
> directly to a download. 

Yes, I did, and no accident.  Select the link and do a wget!  Saves you
the trouble of finding it yourself.

> New Linux users might not think to check that their machines are to spec or
> that they are downloading the correct version.

The installer does the usual

   ./configure
   make
   make install

under the covers, and the GUI tells you quite clearly when you are
missing a lib-dev package dependency.

> The link for those wanting to look at this is http://www.xfce.org

Redundant!

-- 
Tux rocks!
0
linonut2 (5242)
5/9/2006 1:27:35 PM
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 13:18 \__

> Linonut wrote:
> 
>> http://www.xfce.org
>> 
>> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
>> GUI wrapper):


Bear is right. This needs some context.

http://www.xfce.org/

For direct download:

,----[ Command ]
| wget http://tinyurl.com/ltj49
`----

For offline reading:

,----[ Command ]
| wget -r http://www.xfce.org/ # evil grin
`----

 
>> It's pretty nice, and includes a better-working version of Terminal
>> (including a pretty nifty translucence/image feature), and
>> a new file manager called Thunar, which I haven't yet tried.


Translucency in xfce? Doesn't that beat the purpose or conflicts with the
idealogy and intent of fit/scale?


>> The taskbar app has been folded into the panel app, which itself now
>> supports more than one panel, and each panel can be pared down to a
>> single item, and be made freely movable.
>> 
>> The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).


This strikes a nerve as I don't care for them either. I use to be the very
opposite  --  a desktop plagued with as many objects as possible (like  my
Web  browser  at  the moment). Ever since the transition,  my  desktop  is
virtually  clean with the exception of kgpg, system monitor and mail  tray
notifier, which consume just 30x100 pixels combined. All else (including 6
panels)  is  automatically hidden. Less clutter, more keyboard  shortcuts,
and   more  mouse  gestures.  More  real  estate  and   fewer  unnecessary
distractions.


>> Seems like a nice upgrade so far.
>> 
> 
> oops. I'm sure it was just an accident linonut, but you put the link
> directly to a download.
> 
> New Linux users might not think to check that their machines are to spec or
> that they are downloading the correct version.
> 
> The link for those wanting to look at this is http://www.xfce.org


For what it's worth and for "New Linux users" as you mentioned, there is
the possibility of combining this light-weight environment with an exce-
llent Linux distribution -- an 'of of the box' experience:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Only yesterday(/the day before yesterday),  Mark Shuttleworth  announced
the approach to this team of developers:

                LinuxTag: Ubuntu offers three desktops
                http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/72823

Best wishes,

Roy

-- 
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:05pm  up 12 days  0:02,  7 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.60, 0.56
      http://iuron.com - Open Source knowledge engine project
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
5/9/2006 4:21:52 PM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 13:18 \__
> 
>> Linonut wrote:
>> 
>>> http://www.xfce.org
>>> 
>>> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
>>> GUI wrapper):
> 
> 
> Bear is right. This needs some context.
> 
> http://www.xfce.org/
> 
> For direct download:
> 
> ,----[ Command ]
> | wget http://tinyurl.com/ltj49
> `----
> 
> For offline reading:
> 
> ,----[ Command ]
> | wget -r http://www.xfce.org/ # evil grin
> `----
> 

Thanks Roy :-)

>  
>>> It's pretty nice, and includes a better-working version of Terminal
>>> (including a pretty nifty translucence/image feature), and
>>> a new file manager called Thunar, which I haven't yet tried.
> 
> 
> Translucency in xfce? Doesn't that beat the purpose or conflicts with the
> idealogy and intent of fit/scale?
> 
> 
>>> The taskbar app has been folded into the panel app, which itself now
>>> supports more than one panel, and each panel can be pared down to a
>>> single item, and be made freely movable.
>>> 
>>> The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).
> 
> 
> This strikes a nerve as I don't care for them either. I use to be the very
> opposite  --  a desktop plagued with as many objects as possible (like  my
> Web  browser  at  the moment). Ever since the transition,  my  desktop  is
> virtually  clean with the exception of kgpg, system monitor and mail  tray
> notifier, which consume just 30x100 pixels combined. All else (including 6
> panels)  is  automatically hidden. Less clutter, more keyboard  shortcuts,
> and   more  mouse  gestures.  More  real  estate  and   fewer  unnecessary
> distractions.
> 
> 
>>> Seems like a nice upgrade so far.
>>>

Can you tinker with the Menus ?
 
>> 
>> oops. I'm sure it was just an accident linonut, but you put the link
>> directly to a download.
>> 
>> New Linux users might not think to check that their machines are to spec
>> or that they are downloading the correct version.
>> 
>> The link for those wanting to look at this is http://www.xfce.org
> 
> 
> For what it's worth and for "New Linux users" as you mentioned, there is
> the possibility of combining this light-weight environment with an exce-
> llent Linux distribution -- an 'of of the box' experience:
> 
> http://www.xubuntu.org/
> 
> Only yesterday(/the day before yesterday),  Mark Shuttleworth  announced
> the approach to this team of developers:
> 
>                 LinuxTag: Ubuntu offers three desktops
>                 http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/72823
> 


-- 
Regards,
M

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home
0
5/9/2006 6:40:47 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 13:18 \__
>
>> Linonut wrote:
>> 
>>> http://www.xfce.org
>>> 
>>> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
>>> GUI wrapper):
>
> Bear is right. This needs some context.
>
> http://www.xfce.org/

1.  That is the first link I posted.

2.  Even if I did not, the savvy user can easily extract the home
   portion of the full URL of the bin file.

> For offline reading:
>
> ,----[ Command ]
> | wget -r http://www.xfce.org/ # evil grin
> `----

I use:

   wget -c -r -N -nH -np

> Translucency in xfce? Doesn't that beat the purpose or conflicts with the
> idealogy and intent of fit/scale?

Nah.  It's off by default.

>>> The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).
>
> This strikes a nerve as I don't care for them either. I use to be the very
> opposite  --  a desktop plagued with as many objects as possible (like  my
> Web  browser  at  the moment). Ever since the transition,  my  desktop  is
> virtually  clean with the exception of kgpg, system monitor and mail  tray
> notifier, which consume just 30x100 pixels combined. All else (including 6
> panels)  is  automatically hidden. Less clutter, more keyboard  shortcuts,
> and   more  mouse  gestures.  More  real  estate  and   fewer  unnecessary
> distractions.

I agree.  But the xfce panel let's you add a "Show Desktop" widget if
that floats yer boat.

> For what it's worth and for "New Linux users" as you mentioned, there is
> the possibility of combining this light-weight environment with an exce-
> llent Linux distribution -- an 'of of the box' experience:
>
> http://www.xubuntu.org/
>
> Only yesterday(/the day before yesterday),  Mark Shuttleworth  announced
> the approach to this team of developers:
>
>                 LinuxTag: Ubuntu offers three desktops
>                 http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/72823

Cool info, Roy!

-- 
Tux rocks!
0
linonut2 (5242)
5/10/2006 12:02:32 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, M belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>> Seems like a nice upgrade so far.
>
> Can you tinker with the Menus ?

There's a menu editor.  I usually run the command from a console, to see
if it is correct, then I paste it into the dialog box.

If the command doesn't work, you get no feedback.

I don't know if there's a drag-n-drop feature for the menu, though.

-- 
Tux rocks!
0
linonut2 (5242)
5/10/2006 12:04:19 PM
Reply: