Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity

Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on
SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User
Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather
than proprietary ones.  We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux
LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own
brochure. This project has been written up by LWN
(http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/).

See below for project details.

Barbara Irwin
Publicity Coordinator, VLUG

The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to
document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a
single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six
mini-pages of the brochure).

Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and
publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and
software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures
are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual
requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software
produces an attractive brochure.

Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which
features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted
as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure. We encourage
contributions of customized versions of the LBP brochure so ultimately there
will be a suite of brochures from around the world.  Looking forward to
receiving your version!  :-)

The first stable version, 1.0.0, was released on October 5, 2003. Version
1.1.0 was released on October 11, 2003 to provide the option of printing the
brochure on A4 size paper. This new feature will allow the wider global
Linux community full access to this project as well.

For further details see:

LBP Home Page: http://lbproject.sourceforge.net/.

Version 1.1.0 Announcement: http://lbproject.sourceforge.net/announce_1.1.0.
html.

Version 1.0.0 Announcement: http://lbproject.sourceforge.net/announce_1.0.0.
html.

Barbara

Barbara Irwin
beirwin@shaw.ca
Victoria, B.C.  Canada

                      The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done
		      should never interrupt the one who is doing it.

# Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com #
# PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.  #
# This group is archived at http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/              #

Barbara
10/25/2003 1:05:01 PM
comp.os.linux.announce 2885 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity #2
[...]

Linux, Linux, Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

My Linux is not your Linux

How were u introduce to Linux & what was ur 1st Linux OS???
my experience is available at http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# v cube wrote: > my experience is available at > http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# You should try all the livecds. They are free to copy and boot up without having to install - saves you days of work when evaluating different distros. http://www.livecdlist.com free to copy and install on as many machines as you wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too. At least 3 different Linux PCs ...

[News] Linux Foundation Teaches the Public About GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.34 Shaping up

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/news-20070501 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxtle ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with th...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

Call for Faults of Linux & Linux Distributions
I hope to solicit some complaints -- legitimate ones only, please -- regarding Linux. There are a few, most of them rather technical, that I have personally, in no particular order. [1] Raw X seems to have problems with Unicode fonts. Cairo and Pango are workarounds to this problem, and they work reasonably well (especially since Cairo is now an integral part of GTK/Gnome, apparently), but if one attempts things like Xutf8DrawImageString(dpy, drawable, fontSet, gc, x, y, "\xcf\x80", 2) (which should draw the character pi) I mostly get odd output. Obviously I may need to dig deeper into the Cairo source code, and such things as setlocale(). It's a head-scratcher. (The good news: Cairo and X work very well together, and I've now coded a pseudo-widget set which I will ultimately code into a replacement newsreader. It's crude but should serve my needs; I don't need lots of fancy GUI buttons, just something that emulates the bits I use in SLRN (I don't need everything) and can fire off vi as a subeditor.) [2] I'm not sure Linux handles video switchover very well; this might be part driver problem, part not quite getting it right. In other words, under certain conditions I can get the video card darned messed up, visually. (This is mostly a problem on ATi, the few times I've tried it. My nVidia unit doesn't seem to have this problem.) Also, I'm even less sure that X on Linux handles multiple servers well, when there is insuffi...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Web resources about - Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity - comp.os.linux.announce

Category:Publicity photographs with missing fair-use rationale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How To Create A Facebook Media Room For Publicity
Publicists create media relations sections of their websites without doing the same on Facebook pages. Here's how to get one started.

Search Twitter - sony publicity stunt
Log in Sign up Search Refresh Sami سامي @ yaboysami 5h That Sony hack was a publicity stunt .. I don't believe that they really hacked Sony over ...

Sen. Inhofe's Publicity Stunt - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Yeah a blizzard in February, who'd have guessed? Jackass...

Publicity Stunt of the Day: Comedian Drives Giant ‘Love Butt’ Across the United States
Justin Bieber isn’t the only one whose butt is making news this week. A comedian named Kurt Braunohler has spent the past 6 days driving a giant ...

Bare-chested Tony Abbott outshines G20 publicity
Tony Abbott appears to have missed the boat with an opportunity for Australia as bare-chested photos have out-shone publicity for the G20 meeting ...

Calls for publicity campaign over roadside drug testing in ACT
An expert has called for more information surrounding random roadside drug tests.

Hoax suicide threat on Twitter a publicity stunt for teen star Ariana Grande, police say
... who was threatening to kill herself on Twitter. In reality, the suicide threats were a hoax which police believe were intended to provide publicity ...

How to create your own publicity
Not every business can afford a PR firm, but it is possible to get publicity for your business on your own. A story is a story, whether it comes ...

A lone wolf seeking publicity, not a terrorist
Readers say that Man Haron Monis was violent and disturbed, but not a terrorist. They also question why, given the serious charges he faced, ...