High-performance 2D vector graphics library for Linux and OS X

Smoke is a 2D vector graphics library that renders efficiently using OpenGL
and isotropic multiresolution techniques:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/smoke_vector_graphics/

This library is a perfect foundation for cross-platform graphing, charting,
GUI and visualization applications.

The OCaml Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?usenet
0
Jon
6/20/2007 7:45:10 PM
comp.os.linux.development.apps 5216 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:45:10 +0100) it happened Jon Harrop
<jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in
<4679852b$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>:

>Smoke is a 2D vector graphics library that renders efficiently using OpenGL
>and isotropic multiresolution techniques:

Too bad I have no clue what 'isotropic multiresolution' is,
new buzz word?
0
Jan
6/20/2007 10:31:57 PM
Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:45:10 +0100) it happened Jon Harrop
> <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in
> <4679852b$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>:
>>Smoke is a 2D vector graphics library that renders efficiently using
>>OpenGL and isotropic multiresolution techniques:
>
> Too bad I have no clue what 'isotropic multiresolution' is,
> new buzz word?

Old buzz word. This is the technique used by Google Earth to render the
whole planet and allow you to zoom into tiny detail (e.g. your house).

Smoke does the same thing but for vector graphics (like PostScript) rather
than a huge spherical texture map. The tiger demo illustrates this: you can
zoom into the eye of the tiger and Smoke will maintain interactive frame
rates.

That's the "multiresolution". The "isotropic" refers to the fact that Smoke
retains performance even when you apply arbitrary affine transformations.

The OCaml Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?usenet
0
Jon
6/21/2007 2:47:07 AM
On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:47:07 +0100) it happened Jon Harrop
<4679e810$0$8715$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:45:10 +0100) it happened Jon Harrop
>> <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in
>> <4679852b$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>:
>>>Smoke is a 2D vector graphics library that renders efficiently using
>>>OpenGL and isotropic multiresolution techniques:
>>
>> Too bad I have no clue what 'isotropic multiresolution' is,
>> new buzz word?
>
>Old buzz word. This is the technique used by Google Earth to render the
>whole planet and allow you to zoom into tiny detail (e.g. your house).
>
>Smoke does the same thing but for vector graphics (like PostScript) rather
>than a huge spherical texture map. The tiger demo illustrates this: you can
>zoom into the eye of the tiger and Smoke will maintain interactive frame
>rates.
>
>That's the "multiresolution". The "isotropic" refers to the fact that Smoke
>retains performance even when you apply arbitrary affine transformations.

Thank you for explaning :-)
0
Jan
6/21/2007 11:19:27 AM