How do I configure Autotools files for libexec installs?

I have a home-grown app that I'd like to package up with GNU autotools
(automake/autoconf/libtool).

My specific dilemma is that I have a number of shell scripts that the app
invokes, and I'd like these scripts to end up installed in the
<prefix>/libexec/<project> directory.

I've read through the documentation on each command, the "Autotools book", and
the config files from various example (both real and contrived)
installations. From what I can find out, my target directory is named by the
autotools @libexecdir@ (for <prefix>/libexec) or (possibly) the @pkglibexec@
variable.

What I want to do is write my Makefile.in (or Makefile.am) to invoke the GNU
install program, so that the ultimate Makefile will "install" the scripts in
the appropriate directory

For instance, given a package libexec directory path
of /usr/local/libexec/mypackage, my final Makefile should look something like

  install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d /usr/local/libexec/mypackage
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t /usr/local/libexec/mypackage $?

I have tried all sorts of solutions, primarily focussing on the relevant
Makefile.in (after I abandoned automake and Makefile.am as being so poorly
documented as to be unusable in this situation). Various attempts have looked
like

  INSTALLDIR = ${exec_prefix}/libexec

  install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage $?

and

  INSTALLDIR = @libexec@

  install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage $?
and

  install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d @libexec@/mypackage
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t @libexec@/mypackage $?

but none have resulted in a Makefile that would actually install the file into
the intended directory. Usually the @libexec@ just expands into a
literal '${exec_prefix}/libexec' path, without expanding the ${exec_prefix}.
Even the explicit '${exec_prefix}/libexec' just "expands"
into '${prefix}/libexec', still leaving the path unusable.

Do I actually have to hand-expand the @libexec@ path manually in my Makefile,
or is there some way to get autoconf to process my Makefile.in to properly
and *completely* expand the variable when generating the target Makefile?

Any advice?
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

0
Lew
5/31/2015 4:50:56 PM
comp.os.linux.development.apps 5216 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sunday May 31 2015 12:50, in comp.os.linux.development.apps, "Lew Pitcher"
<lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:

> I have a home-grown app that I'd like to package up with GNU autotools
> (automake/autoconf/libtool).
>
> My specific dilemma is that I have a number of shell scripts that the app
> invokes, and I'd like these scripts to end up installed in the
> <prefix>/libexec/<project> directory.
>
> I've read through the documentation on each command, the "Autotools book",
> and the config files from various example (both real and contrived)
> installations. From what I can find out, my target directory is named by the
> autotools @libexecdir@ (for <prefix>/libexec) or (possibly) the @pkglibexec@
> variable.
>
> What I want to do is write my Makefile.in (or Makefile.am) to invoke the GNU
> install program, so that the ultimate Makefile will "install" the scripts in
> the appropriate directory
>
> For instance, given a package libexec directory path
> of /usr/local/libexec/mypackage, my final Makefile should look something
> like

Please ignore the <echo> values; that's left over from my last round of
debugging

>   install: example.exit
>         echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d /usr/local/libexec/mypackage
>         echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t /usr/local/libexec/mypackage
>         $?

Please read the above as

   install: example.exit
         install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d /usr/local/libexec/mypackage
         install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t /usr/local/libexec/mypackage
         $?

> I have tried all sorts of solutions, primarily focussing on the relevant
> Makefile.in (after I abandoned automake and Makefile.am as being so poorly
> documented as to be unusable in this situation). Various attempts have
> looked like

Similarly, the echo's are leftovers from prior debugging attempts

>   INSTALLDIR = ${exec_prefix}/libexec
>
>   install: example.exit
>         echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage
>         echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${INSTALLDIR}/mypackage $?

Please read as

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
PGP public key available upon request

0
Lew
5/31/2015 4:55:01 PM
On Sunday May 31 2015 12:55, in comp.os.linux.development.apps, "Lew Pitcher"
<lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:

> On Sunday May 31 2015 12:50, in comp.os.linux.development.apps, "Lew
> Pitcher" <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
>
>> I have a home-grown app that I'd like to package up with GNU autotools
>> (automake/autoconf/libtool).
>>
>> My specific dilemma is that I have a number of shell scripts that the app
>> invokes, and I'd like these scripts to end up installed in the
>> <prefix>/libexec/<project> directory.
>>
>> I've read through the documentation on each command, the "Autotools book",
>> and the config files from various example (both real and contrived)
>> installations. From what I can find out, my target directory is named by
>> the autotools @libexecdir@ (for <prefix>/libexec) or (possibly) the
>> @pkglibexec@ variable.
>>
>> What I want to do is write my Makefile.in (or Makefile.am) to invoke the
>> GNU install program, so that the ultimate Makefile will "install" the
>> scripts in the appropriate directory
[snip]
>> Do I actually have to hand-expand the @libexec@ path manually in my
>> Makefile, or is there some way to get autoconf to process my Makefile.in to
>> properly and *completely* expand the variable when generating the target
>> Makefile?
>>
>> Any advice?

Here's the relevant part of the Makefile.in from my last test run, where I try
a number of variations, all in one makefile:

install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d @libexecdir@/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t @libexecdir@/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d @prefix@/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t @prefix@/libexec/rmonitor $?
        echo
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${libexecdir}/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${libexecdir}/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${exec_prefix}/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${exec_prefix}/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${prefix}/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${prefix}/rmonitor $?

and, here's the resulting Makefile, after ./configure (defaulting all options)

install: example.exit
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${exec_prefix}/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${exec_prefix}/libexec/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d /usr/local/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t /usr/local/libexec/rmonitor $?
        echo
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${libexecdir}/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${libexecdir}/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${exec_prefix}/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${exec_prefix}/rmonitor $?
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -d ${prefix}/libexec/rmonitor
        echo install -o root -g bin -m 755 -t ${prefix}/rmonitor $?

The /only/ Makefile.in pattern that got the install directory completely
correct was the one where I /forced/ the issue, and manually specified the
install directory as @prefix@/libexec.

This seems counter to how autotools should work to me; I don't want rules that
depend on hardcoded paths - if the end-installer wants to run
  ./configure --libexecdir=/some/obscure/path
then, my Makefile.in shouldn't override that to assume @prefix@/libexec.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
PGP public key available upon request

0
Lew
5/31/2015 5:12:08 PM
Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> writes:
[...]
> but none have resulted in a Makefile that would actually install the
> file into the intended directory. Usually the @libexec@ just expands
> into a literal '${exec_prefix}/libexec' path, without expanding the
> ${exec_prefix}.  Even the explicit '${exec_prefix}/libexec' just
> "expands" into '${prefix}/libexec', still leaving the path unusable.

You need definitions for exec_prefix and prefix as well.  Example:

  $ cat configure.ac
  AC_INIT([whatever], [0.0], [whatever@example.com])
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
  AC_OUTPUT
  $ cat Makefile.in
  prefix=@prefix@
  exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
  libbexecdir=@libexecdir@
  $ autoconf
  $ ./configure
  configure: creating ./config.status
  config.status: creating Makefile
  $ cat Makefile
  prefix=/usr/local
  exec_prefix=${prefix}
  libbexecdir=${exec_prefix}/libexec

The idea is that setting just prefix is enough to redirect everything
else.

You mentioned Automake, which normally sorts thist stuff out for you,
but I guess you’re not actually using it.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
0
Kettlewell" <rjk@greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> writes:
> [...]
>> but none have resulted in a Makefile that would actually install the=

>> file into the intended directory. Usually the @libexec@ just expands=

>> into a literal '${exec_prefix}/libexec' path, without expanding the
>> ${exec_prefix}.  Even the explicit '${exec_prefix}/libexec' just
>> "expands" into '${prefix}/libexec', still leaving the path unusable.=

>=20
> You need definitions for exec_prefix and prefix as well.  Example:
>=20
>   $ cat configure.ac
>   AC_INIT([whatever], [0.0], [whatever@example.com])
>   AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
>   AC_OUTPUT
>   $ cat Makefile.in
>   prefix=3D@prefix@
>   exec_prefix=3D@exec_prefix@
>   libbexecdir=3D@libexecdir@
>   $ autoconf
>   $ ./configure
>   configure: creating ./config.status
>   config.status: creating Makefile
>   $ cat Makefile
>   prefix=3D/usr/local
>   exec_prefix=3D${prefix}
>   libbexecdir=3D${exec_prefix}/libexec
>=20
> The idea is that setting just prefix is enough to redirect everything=

> else.
>=20
> You mentioned Automake, which normally sorts thist stuff out for you,=

> but I guess you=E2=80=99re not actually using it.

I tried automake, but the use documentation was even more spotty than
autoconf's documentation. For instance, the "Autotools book" discusses =
the
automake "Easy Primaries", which seem to include high-level rules for
compilation and installation of programs into <somepath>/bin , the
compilation and installation of libraries into <somepath>/bin and for t=
he
movement of manual pages into <somepath>/man. But is says nothing else.=
 And
the rest of the documentation regarding automake says even less.

The info page for these tools talks a lot about how they work, but not =
how to
use them. And the man page just points to the info page.

So, I abandon automake as complicating the issue, and just concentrate =
on
autoconf for now.

--=20
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
PGP public key available upon request

0
Lew
5/31/2015 5:31:46 PM
On Sunday May 31 2015 13:20, in comp.os.linux.development.apps, "Richard
Kettlewell" <rjk@greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> writes:
> [...]
>> but none have resulted in a Makefile that would actually install the
>> file into the intended directory. Usually the @libexec@ just expands
>> into a literal '${exec_prefix}/libexec' path, without expanding the
>> ${exec_prefix}.  Even the explicit '${exec_prefix}/libexec' just
>> "expands" into '${prefix}/libexec', still leaving the path unusable.
>
> You need definitions for exec_prefix and prefix as well.  Example:
>
>   $ cat configure.ac
>   AC_INIT([whatever], [0.0], [whatever@example.com])
>   AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
>   AC_OUTPUT
>   $ cat Makefile.in
>   prefix=@prefix@
>   exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
>   libbexecdir=@libexecdir@
>   $ autoconf
>   $ ./configure
>   configure: creating ./config.status
>   config.status: creating Makefile
>   $ cat Makefile
>   prefix=/usr/local
>   exec_prefix=${prefix}
>   libbexecdir=${exec_prefix}/libexec

That's what I needed to see.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
PGP public key available upon request

0
Lew
5/31/2015 5:32:30 PM
On Sunday May 31 2015 13:20, in comp.os.linux.development.apps, "Richard
Kettlewell" <rjk@greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> writes:
> [...]
>> but none have resulted in a Makefile that would actually install the
>> file into the intended directory. Usually the @libexec@ just expands
>> into a literal '${exec_prefix}/libexec' path, without expanding the
>> ${exec_prefix}.  Even the explicit '${exec_prefix}/libexec' just
>> "expands" into '${prefix}/libexec', still leaving the path unusable.
>
> You need definitions for exec_prefix and prefix as well.  Example:
>
>   $ cat configure.ac
>   AC_INIT([whatever], [0.0], [whatever@example.com])
>   AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
>   AC_OUTPUT
>   $ cat Makefile.in
>   prefix=@prefix@
>   exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
>   libbexecdir=@libexecdir@
>   $ autoconf
>   $ ./configure
>   configure: creating ./config.status
>   config.status: creating Makefile
>   $ cat Makefile
>   prefix=/usr/local
>   exec_prefix=${prefix}
>   libbexecdir=${exec_prefix}/libexec
>
> The idea is that setting just prefix is enough to redirect everything
> else.

That's got it. Thanks.

I tried it, and get the results I hoped for.
I guess that, for the other Makefile.in files, I'll have to do something
similar. Do you know of a guide to the expansion rules for the standard
macros (eg. @libexecdir@ -> @exec_prefix@/libexec, @exec_prefix@ -> @prefix@,
etc.)? I guess that I dig through config.log for the expansions, and
retro-fit them into my Makefile.in, if necessary.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
PGP public key available upon request

0
Lew

os.linux.development.apps
hEy, Please Visit http://www.familypk.com Familypk About Articles, Tutorials, Learning, Block checkers, Myspace, Twist, Daily news updates, Entertainment, Horoscopes, Movies, Stories, Kids, Woman, Kitchen, Islamic names, Hair style, Fashion, Home decoration, Songs, PTCL, Games, etc..... Please Visit http://www.enttwist.com Enttwist About Articles, Tutorials, Cheat Codes, Hacking News, Games Setup, Greeting Cards, E-Cards, Telephone Directry, Web Directry, Learning, Block checkers, Myspace, Twist, Daily news updates, Entertainment, Horoscopes, Movies, ...

how OS X apps use configure file?
Hi: I am new to Mac, and I was using PC for about 3 - 4 years. I got a eMac 700MHz, and using 10.2. As I am going to update my OS to 10.3 next week, I am thinking to backup the applications. My question is where does OS X's applications keep their settings? I know Windows use registry for application to store their settings. Is there same as OS X? If not where? In /etc folder? any thing will help Cheers Cocoa On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:16:20 +0000, cocoa117 wrote: > I am new to Mac, and I was using PC for about 3 - 4 years. I got a eMac > 700MHz, and using 10.2. As I am goin...

Developing old Mac OS apps on Linux?
Does anybody know if it is possible to develop apps that run on the old Mac OS (6,7,8,9) using Linux development tools? I know that it is possible to set up a gnu toolchain to cross-compile and link apps for the m68k target. What I'm looking for is a small glue layer (SDK) that I would allow my apps to run under Mac OS. I haven't investigated this much, so I'm not sure what is out there. I know this sounds obscure, but I want to develop a few applications to run on an old powerbook running Mac OS 7. I don't think it is possible to get the old development tools fro...

how to install a toolbox from installation files in linux
Hi I work with matlab 7 64bit with Ubuntu 64bit. I installed matlab first but I forgot to select one useful toolbox during the installation process. So I would like to know if it is possible to install this toolbox without reinstalling everything? I tried to launch the install script again and when I reach the toolbox installation window there are to sides ADD and REMOVE. I want to add one toolbox, but I don't want to remove the toolboxes already installed. How to do this? Thanks ...

What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?
Hello, Everybody, I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will use are ASM ,C and C++. Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ? Thanks in advance! George. 2003-06-26 In article <bdf4or$2its$1@mail.cn99.com>, George Zhang wrote: > Hello, Everybody, > > I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs Hint: Around here, "system" refers to the kernel. If you're doing kernel work, fine. Oth...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

Installing Mac OS 9 on linux (MOL) with disk image file
Hi! Do you know about a howto concerning the installation of OS 9 in conjunction with MOL / Linux in an existing Linux / OS X environment? I have Debian Woody with MOL, so I can boot the preinstalled OS X under Linux. However, I would like to be able to boot OS9, while I don't really want to repartition (and corrupt my existing OS X and Linux installations). So it would be nice to install OS 9 into a loopback device (hdd-image file). Is it possible and is there anybody out there who has done this? TIA+CU Lars. ...

Installing OS X apps over OS 9 versions
Having upgraded an iMac DV to the latest OS 9 and firmware versions, I'm now ready to install OS X, and then OS X versions of AppleWorks and Eudora. But a question has occurred to me: Will the OS X app versions install into the same directories as their OS 9 counterparts, and overwrite those counterparts? If so, what happens if I decided to boot the iMac into OS 9? Ideally it seems that if I am running OS X and I click on an AppleWorks document then the OS X version of AppleWorks should come up, while if I have booted into OS 9 and click on the same document then the older OS 9 version...

[News] Linux Wins Because of Applications (Developers, Developers, Developers Come to Linux)
Red Hat growth: A tale of 2,000 applications ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat's Linux business continues to boom, even when we don't give it the | credit that it deserves. What is the underlying reason for that growth? | | Applications. `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791171-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad Open Source for Business: Now More Than Ever, Part 1 ,----[ Quote ] | No App Scarcity | | The growth of open source applications in the business workplace, at least to | some degree, is the result of a large inventory of program choices. There is | no s...

OS 9 app to batch-rename files based on file date?
I have several folders with 50 to 500 files each in which the file names are a string of text followed by a three-digit number ("example-123"). I'd like to rename the files based on the file date, such that the earliest file would be "example-001," the next-earliest "example-002" and so forth. Is there an OS 9 app that would do this? TIA -- D.F. Manno dfm2a3l0t2@spymac.com "The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream will never die." ...

Which Linux OS should I install
I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish. Thanks Jeff P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. I...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

including .specification files (or other "dot" files) in Rake Package on Linux/Mac OS X
I've found that my instantiation of the Rake Package task for packaging up a Rails app isn't including the '.specification' files in the '/vendor/gems/**/*' pattern. I've recreated this on Linux and Mac OS X. It seems the issue is that the files, which are copied from their origin to the target folder, are missing the files. I'm guessing this is because of the underlying copy commands, but haven't dug into it yet. Has anyone else run into this? Is there anyway to get Rake to pickup '.specification' or any other "dot" files? ...

Web resources about - How do I configure Autotools files for libexec installs? - comp.os.linux.development.apps

configure script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Configure script is an executable script designed to aid in developing a program to be run on a wide number of different computers. It matches ...

CloudNex correctly configures NetSuite for retailer
IT consultant and NetSuite solution provider, CloudNex has implemented a NetSuite configuration for local fashion designer and retailer, Briggins. ...

Cydia Tweak: How To Configure A Touch ID Grace Period For Your iPhone 5s
... Into A Paid Subscription , and Facebook’s Paper Launches In The App Store, Brings A More Elegant News Feed To iOS . Cydia Tweak: How To Configure ...

Configure - Apple
Get free shipping on iMac with Retina 5K display from the Apple Online Store. It packs 14.7 million pixels into its 27-inch display, and it features ...

Xcode Continuous Integration Guide: Configure Bots to Perform Continuous Integrations
Provides guidelines and examples for using Xcode continuous integration features.

Apple TV to get automatic "touch to configure" setup via Bluetooth 4.0, iOS 7
Apple appears to be using a novel device setup method to ease initial configuration of Apple TV under iOS 7, using an NFC-like touch without ...

Model brain with 2.5 million neurons configures itself to solve problems
Chris Eliasmith, et. al Over the last few years, the meteoric rise of computing power has allowed us to build ever-larger collections of model ...

Time to configure your McLaren 650S
Filed under: Car Buying , Convertible , Coupe , Performance , McLaren If you're like us, Friday afternoons are the bane of your existence - ...

Customize and configure your PC with Windows Tweaker 5.0
Windows is a highly configurable operating system, with hundreds of settings and options available. But taking full advantage of this can be ...