Working dir -- no clue

Hi all,

What is the possible reason that an  app gets two different results when
it's ruuning under two dirs by same user on a linux box?

Detail:

Myapp runs as a server(C code, uses oracle call interface internally). It is
launched via a shell scripts like below by user -- staffme:

#start
WORKING_DIR=/opt/appserver
cd $WORKING_DIR
../myapp
#EOF

It always gets an err (ORA-01480: trailing null missing from STR bind value)
on a certain function call under this dir(/opt/appserver/). If I copy
everything of this dir into /home/staffme/test/, the only exception is a
core file(which is big, owned by root, can't read), and change WORKING_DIR
to /home/staffme/test, it works just fine with same input.

All files the app needs are in above dir. The shell script does NOT change
any variables' value based on differnt dir.

Thanks for any help!

-matt

0
Matt
9/28/2003 3:44:22 AM
comp.os.linux.development.apps 5216 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Matt" <m@m.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> What is the possible reason that an  app gets two different results when
> it's ruuning under two dirs by same user on a linux box?

One possibility is the permissions in the two dirs and in relative paths
based on them.  Where does the app (attempt to) create temp-files?

    Norm

0
Norm
9/28/2003 4:50:58 AM
"Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote:
> One possibility is the permissions in the two dirs and in relative paths
> based on them.  Where does the app (attempt to) create temp-files?

No, this is not the case. Under same dir, e.g. /opt/appserver/.

Just working dirs are different. All tmp files(log, data,...) are using same
dir. All user libs are same in path/name.

0
Matt
9/28/2003 8:47:36 AM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:44:22 GMT, "Matt" <m@m.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What is the possible reason that an  app gets two different results when
>it's ruuning under two dirs by same user on a linux box?

Are your permissions same in these two directories?

--
main(){char s[40]="sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn!ps!CSbwjACjhgppu/dpn";
int i;for(i=0;i<39;putchar(s[i++]-1));return 0;}

os.linux.development.apps
hEy, Please Visit http://www.familypk.com Familypk About Articles, Tutorials, Learning, Block checkers, Myspace, Twist, Daily news updates, Entertainment, Horoscopes, Movies, Stories, Kids, Woman, Kitchen, Islamic names, Hair style, Fashion, Home decoration, Songs, PTCL, Games, etc..... Please Visit http://www.enttwist.com Enttwist About Articles, Tutorials, Cheat Codes, Hacking News, Games Setup, Greeting Cards, E-Cards, Telephone Directry, Web Directry, Learning, Block checkers, Myspace, Twist, Daily news updates, Entertainment, Horoscopes, Movies, ...

Developing old Mac OS apps on Linux?
Does anybody know if it is possible to develop apps that run on the old Mac OS (6,7,8,9) using Linux development tools? I know that it is possible to set up a gnu toolchain to cross-compile and link apps for the m68k target. What I'm looking for is a small glue layer (SDK) that I would allow my apps to run under Mac OS. I haven't investigated this much, so I'm not sure what is out there. I know this sounds obscure, but I want to develop a few applications to run on an old powerbook running Mac OS 7. I don't think it is possible to get the old development tools fro...

What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?
Hello, Everybody, I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will use are ASM ,C and C++. Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ? Thanks in advance! George. 2003-06-26 In article <bdf4or$2its$1@mail.cn99.com>, George Zhang wrote: > Hello, Everybody, > > I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs Hint: Around here, "system" refers to the kernel. If you're doing kernel work, fine. Oth...

[News] Linux Wins Because of Applications (Developers, Developers, Developers Come to Linux)
Red Hat growth: A tale of 2,000 applications ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat's Linux business continues to boom, even when we don't give it the | credit that it deserves. What is the underlying reason for that growth? | | Applications. `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791171-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad Open Source for Business: Now More Than Ever, Part 1 ,----[ Quote ] | No App Scarcity | | The growth of open source applications in the business workplace, at least to | some degree, is the result of a large inventory of program choices. There is | no s...

[News] Interviews With GNU/Linux Developers and Linux Browser Developers Too

app works in win but not in linux
hi everybody I have rmi application which is running successfully in windows xp but when i deployed it to linux i had to recomiple the remote server to be rebined to new public address but im getting this exception: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset the confusing thing when i run the old version of remote server which has been compiled in windows it run without exception even it rebinded to non public ip which is the one for wi...

linux os development job
Hi: We are looking for Linux OS/software developers/engineers. Intended use in thin clients and desktop systems. Please call or sms on mumbai 9820146118 or mail at sealtechnologies@gmail.com Thanks ...

linux os development job
Hi: We are looking for Linux OS/software developers/engineers. Intended use in thin clients and desktop systems. Please call or sms on mumbai 9820146118 or mail at sealtechnologies@gmail.com Thanks ...

Developing Palm Apps on Linux
I'm using a Fedora Core 3 box and would like to develop a couple of pretty simple palm apps. The books I looked at all seem to be at least 3 years and they probably only cover windows. Can anybody recommend a good site? -- Mark Healey marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com Mark Healey a �crit, le 15/06/2005 07:30 : > I'm using a Fedora Core 3 box and would like to develop a couple of pretty > simple palm apps. The books I looked at all seem to be at least 3 years > and they probably only cover windows. > > Can anybody recommend a good site? Well, any ...

Mac OS apps on Linux
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf Mac OS X apps, eg. Pages, or any of the iLife stuff, on Linux? Since Mac OS is a BSD, it should be easy, methinks, but what's the exact software needed, and the exact procedure? Since besides the kernel, the programs would also need facilites on the part of X and whatever desktop system like Gnome or KDE, it's not just a question of the kernel itself. So - what's needed, is it possible, and how do I do it? Thanks. begin virus.txt.scr binary-nomad@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf M...

New Linux OS Developed in Nokia

OS X or Linux, for Lisp development?
Hello, I intend to do lots of learning at home using cmucl, emacs/slime, many libraries like CL-SQL, CL-PPCRE etc , and hopefully apache/mod_lisp or araneida. My question is, if I use an Apple Mac running OS X 10.3, will using all the above be more difficult than on Linux? Would it be best to try to install Linux on the Mac? (don't know a lot about Macs, how easy is dual-boot OS X/Linux?) Is there a problem on OS X with there being a lack of a decent packaging system? Is it a lot easier to pull in / build external libraries on Linux than OS X? I don't intend to start a fl...

Web resources about - Working dir -- no clue - comp.os.linux.development.apps

Working class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Working class (or lower class , labouring class, sometimes proletariat ) is a term used in the social sciences and in ordinary conversation to ...

Apple has a secret team working on virtual reality technology
... unit includes hundreds of staff from a series of carefully targeted acquisitions, as well as employees poached from companies that are working ...

Senna director working on biopic about Rolls-Royce founders
Filed under: Celebrities , Etc. , TV/Movies , Rolls-Royce , Automotive History , Sedan , Classics , Luxury The story of Rolls-Royce could eventually ...

Microsoft is still working to fix Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 power management problems
... experience on Surface Book. We know some of you are still experiencing issues, including issues related to power management, and we are working ...

Facebook is working on a clever ride-sharing feature for your Events page
A recent patent application from Facebook suggests that the social networking giant has interesting plans in store for its Events page. The patent ...

Blonde Redhead working on new material, playing Rough Trade NYC next week
photo: Blonde Redhead at Webster Hall in 2015 (more by Amanda Hatfield) Blonde Redhead just posted that they're upstate working on new songs, ...

One of Apple's suppliers is working on a pressure-sensitive windshield that's a lot like the iPhone 6S ...
... pressing on it, a feature that is very similar to 3D Touch, a banner feature on late-model Macbooks and the latest iPhones. Synaptics is working ...

Lady Gaga is Working With Intel on a David Bowie Tribute for the Grammy Awards
... to watch the Grammy Awards in a couple weeks? Here’s a good one — as part of their new partnership with the Grammy Awards, Intel is working ...

Apple's working on long-range wireless charging for the iPhone
The iPhone 7 could bring a new dual-lens camera, we're expecting the iPad Air 3 and iPhone 5SE in March, and Apple is exploring virtual reality. ...

This week in the war on workers: White working-class voters and the Trump phenomenon
Donald Trump’s appeal to white working-class voters is something Democrats are going to have to grapple with if he becomes the Republican presidential ...