need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?

Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core
based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also
doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested
with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from
kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace
old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not
sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we
are using  dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte
IP address on LAN side, any changes do we need to do for this, new to
2.6 kernel, don't know much, can some experts suggest any precautions,
thanks in advance.

0
tvnaidu
4/22/2007 2:07:06 AM
comp.os.linux.embedded 3347 articles. 0 followers. tvnaidu2 (4) is leader. Post Follow

Of course, at least all loadable modules need to be replaced, too.

-Michael
0
Michael
4/22/2007 6:45:54 AM
A lot of network and filesystem related programs might need to be upgraded or
reconfigured too.

tvnaidu@yahoo.com wrote:
> Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core
> based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also
> doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested
> with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from
> kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace
> old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not
> sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we
> are using  dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte
> IP address on LAN side, any changes do we need to do for this, new to
> 2.6 kernel, don't know much, can some experts suggest any precautions,
> thanks in advance.

  | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
  | Software Engineer   email:  Damion_deSoto@au.securecomputing.com
  | Secure Computing Corporation web: http://www.securecomputing.com
  | fax:        +61 7 3891 3630   ph:                +61 7 3435 2809
  ----  Free Embedded Linux Distro at  http://www.snapgear.org  ----
0
Damion
4/23/2007 3:40:03 AM
On Apr 22, 7:07 am, tvna...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core
> based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also
> doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested
> with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from
> kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace
> old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not
> sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we
> are using  dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte
> IP address on LAN side, any changes do we need to do for this, new to
> 2.6 kernel, don't know much, can some experts suggest any precautions,
> thanks in advance.

You may also want to upgrade the modutils package (insmod etc) in case
you want to play around with modules. Also updation of system
libraries is recommended.

0
Rajat