"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"

Hi everybody,
i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A
installed on my K6-2/300.
For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to
a 2.4.20 one.
After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite
smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24
(Secondary IDE Master).
If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that
"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive
(Secondary IDE Slave),
nevertheless, works without any problem.
Since when i mount the cd-rw drive with the original 2.4.18 kernel
i got log messages about the mounting of a SCSI device, i've recompiled
 the new kernel with some SCSI stuff enabled, but with no result.
Does anybody have an idea of what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Samhain

The light at the end of the tunnel could turn out to be the
headlight of an oncoming train.

to answer by e-mail, remove "NOMONNEZZA" from the address

comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Samhain" <leptone81NOMONNEZZA@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi everybody,
> i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A
> installed on my K6-2/300.
> For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to
> a 2.4.20 one.
> After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite
> smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24
> (Secondary IDE Master).
> If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that
> "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive

That trailing / doesn't look too good.

> (Secondary IDE Slave),
> nevertheless, works without any problem.
> Since when i mount the cd-rw drive with the original 2.4.18 kernel
> i got log messages about the mounting of a SCSI device, i've recompiled
>  the new kernel with some SCSI stuff enabled, but with no result.
> Does anybody have an idea of what's going on?

You were probably using ide-scsi emulation.  Post the result of lsmod.

--
M�ns Rullg�rd
mru@users.sf.net
In article <pan.2003.07.02.11.40.19.184366@hotmail.com>, Samhain wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A
> installed on my K6-2/300.
> For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to
> a 2.4.20 one.
> After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite
> smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24
> (Secondary IDE Master).

It looks like you had it set to used ide-scsi (since it is a burner)
so /dev/cdrom1 likely is a symbolic link to a SCSI item and now your
new kernel would like to treat it as IDE but the /dev/cdrom is pointing
to scsi.

> Since when i mount the cd-rw drive with the original 2.4.18 kernel
> i got log messages about the mounting of a SCSI device, i've recompiled
>  the new kernel with some SCSI stuff enabled, but with no result.

You can do it with kernel changes, but then, if you have a second CD drive
you will lose that unless you make changes.

If you want to do it with kernel changes you would NOT include IDE CDROM
support at all! You would include SCSI CDROM support, IDE-SCSI emulation
and the basic SCSI driver (with vendor options). The you would set
/dev/cdrom1 as a symbolic link to the correct SCSI item in /dev,
such as scd0. If you have another CD drive it will also come up as SCSI
and its entry in /dev/ should be set as a symbolic link to whatever.

The kernel most likely came with everything compiled as modules.
The old kernel probably had a line in lilo.conf to block the
drive from being recognized as IDE but to use ide-scsi on it (one
can use modules and such a command instead of making the change in
the kernel - or one can make the change in the kernel - but one
has to remove the IDE CDROM capability or else the drive will
come up on its native IDE handler).

cdrecord uses the scsi interface, so to use the burner, one
does not consider it as an ide device but uses a scsi driver
and the ide-scsi emulation.
0
Spamless2 (112)
7/2/2003 2:30:25 PM
begin
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:32:55 GMT, Samhain <leptone81NOMONNEZZA@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A
> installed on my K6-2/300.
> For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to
> a 2.4.20 one.
> After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite
> smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24
> (Secondary IDE Master).
> If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that
> "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive

Do you really have a /dev/cdrom1 device?

/dev/cdrom is a link to the real cdrom device such as /dev/hdc (ide
secondary master).

Is /dev/cdrom1 a symbolic link for a second cdrom drive?  Where does
it point?
0
TCS
7/2/2003 9:08:56 PM
>> If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that
>> "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive
>
> That trailing / doesn't look too good.

Sorry, the error message was in italian so i had to translate it and i put a "/"
that wasn't there in fact (it was /dev/cdrom1).

I solved the problem anyway, thank you...

--
Samhain
The light at the end of the tunnel could turn out to be the
headlight of an oncoming train.
*to reply by e-mail, remove NOGARBAGE from the e-mail address*

> Do you really have a /dev/cdrom1 device?

I've looked for it and in fact /dev/cdrom1 is a link to /dev/scd0

> /dev/cdrom is a link to the real cdrom device such as /dev/hdc (ide
> secondary master).

yep, /dev/hdd (the cdrom is sec. slave)

It was just a problem with the ide-scsi emulation driver disabled in the
kernel, now everything works smoothly. (see the reply to Spamless)

Thank you all, again...

--

"Samhain" <leptone81NOGARBAGE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that
> >> "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive
> >
> > That trailing / doesn't look too good.
>
> Sorry, the error message was in italian so i had to translate it and i put
a "/"
> that wasn't there in fact (it was /dev/cdrom1).
>
> I solved the problem anyway, thank you...

Bringing us the natural, "How?"  and "What was the real problem?"

JW

0
westy528 (115)
7/3/2003 2:51:15 PM
> Bringing us the natural, "How?"  and "What was the real problem?"

I hope this isn't ironic, although i have to suppose it's in fact.
If the answer is "no", then sorry for the misunderstanding...
If the answer is "yes", then, reading the rest of the thread you will note
that I've posted a message, in reply to the very well written help from
Spamless in which i answer to your "How?"'s, you your "What was the real
problem?" and to many other questions, a part, of course thanking spamless
for the help given. If you think that it is the case to cut-paste that
report and to repost it another three or four times, then i'm going to do
it, otherwise...

Best regards

--

> > Bringing us the natural, "How?"  and "What was the real problem?"
>
> I hope this isn't ironic, although i have to suppose it's in fact.
> If the answer is "no", then sorry for the misunderstanding...
> If the answer is "yes", then, reading the rest of the thread you will note
> that I've posted a message, in reply to the very well written help from
> Spamless in which i answer to your "How?"'s, you your "What was the real
> problem?" and to many other questions, a part, of course thanking spamless
> for the help given. If you think that it is the case to cut-paste that
> report and to repost it another three or four times, then i'm going to do
> it, otherwise...

I just hadn't received the followup msg.  Got it now.

JW

0
westy528 (115)
7/3/2003 5:19:23 PM
> I just hadn't received the followup msg.  Got it now.

It can happen... however, the next time, try to avoid ironic messages,
unless you are really *sure* about what you're saying (well, btw, netiquette
deprecates irony)... just to avoid flames...

Bye

--
Samhain
The light at the end of the tunnel could turn out to be the
headlight of an oncoming train.
*to reply by e-mail, remove NOGARBAGE from the e-mail address*

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 ...

difference between sun cluster "/dev/did" and "/dev/global" devices
Hello, I am not able to understand what is difference between "/dev/did" and "/dev/global" devices in sun cluster. Can some one explain in simple terms? I have a sun cluster where I am seeing that "/dev/did" is populated where as "/dev/global" is not. Is this normal (or) abnormal? Also should oracle RAC use "/dev/did" devices or "/dev/global" when running on sun cluster. Thanks and Regards, Mannu. On Feb 11, 10:07=A0am, mannu <manishsingh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I am not able to un...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"my" and "our"

"out" and "in out"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"
Found this interesting transcript <http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html> of a talk given by Richard Stallman while he was over in the West Island recently. Among other things, he explains why he wants people to use the term "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" when referring to the operating system: However after people started using essentially the GNU system with Linux added, and called it Linux, it no longer led then to the philosophy associated with GNU - the philosophy of free software. Instead o...

"or" and "and"

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

Web resources about - "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device" - comp.os.linux.hardware