Anyone using Canon i-series printers?

I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask just in case I
missed something simple....

Anyone successfully using any of the Canon i-series of printers with
linux?  More specifically, is anyone using a Canon i860 printer?

It appears that Canon's typically aren't well supported for linux.
But after few searches, it doesn't look like anyone has even tried any
of the i-series printers.  Are they perhaps known under a different
name?  BJC, LBP, etc?

Thanks for any help.

-Michael
0
reply2 (1)
12/2/2003 1:39:55 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I'm using Red Hat 9.0 and I chose the BJC-7004 Photo.  It works well
with Open Office and jEdit.  Gimp images won't print so far - I'm
going to keep experimenting.

reply2@phantom.homelinux.net (Michael Knight) wrote in message news:<90e332cb.0312011739.ade7ba6@posting.google.com>...
> I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask just in case I
> missed something simple....
>
> Anyone successfully using any of the Canon i-series of printers with
> linux?  More specifically, is anyone using a Canon i860 printer?
>
> It appears that Canon's typically aren't well supported for linux.
> But after few searches, it doesn't look like anyone has even tried any
> of the i-series printers.  Are they perhaps known under a different
> name?  BJC, LBP, etc?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Michael
reply2@phantom.homelinux.net (Michael Knight) wrote in message news:<90e332cb.0312011739.ade7ba6@posting.google.com>...
> I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask just in case I
> missed something simple....
>
> Anyone successfully using any of the Canon i-series of printers with
> linux?  More specifically, is anyone using a Canon i860 printer?
>
> It appears that Canon's typically aren't well supported for linux.
> But after few searches, it doesn't look like anyone has even tried any
> of the i-series printers.  Are they perhaps known under a different
> name?  BJC, LBP, etc?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Michael

I have the i950 and it works fine.  As usual howeverr all that free
software only works in windows.
Brian
0
brian5499 (3)

Anyone use a Canon S750 printer ??
This is a repeat appeal as I seem to be only person with a Canon S750 printer !!! Anyone out there with experience of the Canon S750 printhead ?? The 'official' replacement is Part No QY6-0041 but a local shop says that the BC-30e will fit at around half the cost. Does anyone know from experience ?? Any help much appreciated. No, The BC30e only fits the BJC6000 and S450 series. "Malcolm J Doe" <malcolm.doe@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:K_4xc.32038$wd7.21964@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > This is a repeat appeal as I seem to be only person with a Canon S750 > printer !!! > Anyone out there with experience of the Canon S750 printhead ?? The > 'official' replacement is Part No QY6-0041 but a local shop says that the > BC-30e > will fit at around half the cost. Does anyone know from experience ?? Any > help much appreciated. > > ...

Can anyone tell me how to get info about use of Linux in Mobile OS
Hi all, I m a newbie in this field can anybody tell me how can i get info about latest linux application in mobiles. kd <kedargjoshi@gmail.com> burped up warm pablum in news:1179756745.978785.225810@r3g2000prh.googlegroups.com: > Hi all, > I m a newbie in this field can anybody tell me how can i get > info about latest linux application in mobiles. > Take a look at http://tuxmobil.org/ and http://www.handhelds.org to start. -- Tris Orendorff [Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes.] ...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)
Posted on Ebay, item# 330331170291. Goto www.ebay.com & enter this item# 330331170291 into search window (or item# window); BUY NOW OPTION is AVAILABLE, i.e. NO need to wait for Auction ending. Do NOT reply on Newsgroups (I just posted here, but may not read) - instead contact via Ebay (best) or Email; if you insist on emailing and see "NOJUNK" strings in my address (or something to that effect) - REMOVE THEM before hitting send! (these are sometimes added to prevent SPAM, i.e. people who "harvest" addresses off Newsgroups). My Ebay feedback is 100% positive, not to mention 13 YEARS of Newsgroups trading without complains, and it's best to deal via Ebay though will respond to regular email also. Please read description there, but a few facts are copied here: 1) NEW (sealed) Canon cartridges for their portable printers: BJC50/55/70/80/85/30 & other CANON. GENUINE CANON (made in Japan, from CompUSA before it went out of business here). Not fakes which dry out before expiration or damage/ spill into printers - I tried one of generics some years ago, and the money I thought would save, were wasted as they were discovered to be dry (unusable) prior to expiration. I am not one of those people "attached" to specific brands, but learned a hard lesson with inkjet cartridges, unlike Laser toners which are OK even if generic. 2) Plus free BJC-series printers LiIon (lithium-Ion) battery, part# LB50 I don't...

[News] [Linux] Linux Used in Another Series of Routers
Solutions4ebiz Announces New Linux Router with Rackmount Capability ,----[ Quote ] | Customers can order the Envoy router, along with other Linux | routers and hardware solutions, `---- http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9806.html A special feature reminds the readers why almost nobody builds a system from scratch anymore (maybe RIM did, but this has limitations). Psion: the last computer ,----[ Quote ] | The Series 5 pocket computer from Psion was launched 10 years ago this week. | It was a remarkable achievement: entirely new silicon, a new operating | system, middleware stack and app...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

[News] Linux-based Nokia N900 Shows Anyone Can Use GNU/Linux Now

Canonical bribes reporter with free Linux netbook
<quote> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the only thing he liked. So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on a machine I already owned? To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler and more pleasurable than it is now. </quote> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-koala.html On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote: > <quote> > Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and > send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the > faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the > only thing he liked. > > So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on > a machine I already owned? > To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler > and more pleasurable than it is now. > > </quote> > > http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic- koala.html Wow... you are really desperate... -- Rick On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote: ><quote> >Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and >send him a Dell Inspiron Min...

Snit, please make your next "Linux as crapware" videos using Linux on bare hardware
It won't change much - probably nothing at all - but it might eliminate a video or filesystem refresh issue here and there. Running Linux in a vm lets the cola losers /think/ they can dismiss the sad spectacle of their amateurish hobbyware failing at the basics, but running it from the hard drive will at least shut down that angle of kiddie denial from the "advocates". Plus, you'll get to learn about Linux screencasting! Thanks in advance! On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:39:10 -0500, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > It won't change much - probably not...

[News] IBM Explains Why Important to Use GNU/Linux, Tom's Hardware Covers Linux

Does anyone here use wxGlade on Linux?
I am trying out wxGlade on Linux, version 0.7.1 of wxGlade on xubuntu 15.10. I have already written something using wxPython directly so I have the basics (of my Python skills and the environment) OK I think. I am having a lot of trouble getting beyond the first hurdle of creating a trivial Python GUI with wxGlade. Some of the problem is no doubt that I'm unfamiliar with the interface but I seem to repeatedly get to a situation where the interface won't respond to mouse clicks (though the main menu items still work, I can Exit OK for instance). Is wxPython still buggy o...

Linux..the easy to use OS.
Today children, we'll look at installing a DVD player... > >Thanks for the tip. But I'm getting this problem: > > >$ emerge xine-ui > >Calculating dependencies \ > >emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy > > ">=net-ftp/curl-7.10.2". > > >!!! Error calculating dependencies. Please correct. > > >Turns out I have curl installed, but it is in net-misc, not net-ftp. > Whoa there ... That problem was supposedly fixed sometime back in April. > When did you last 'emerge sync', and from what m...

Does anyone actually use SERIES?
I've heard that the SERIES package adds functionality similar to Haskell or Clojure's lazy lists to CL. I know that it actually transforms "lazy" code into in-place iteration, rather than actually implementing pipe/streams/lazy-list/whatever-you-call-it. Messing around with it, it seems a little verbose, such as performing folds/reductions over data is something like: (collect-fn 'integer #'(lambda () 1) #'* my-series) (reduce #'* my-list :initial-value 1) Now for the actual question: does anyone actually use SERIES in production code or is it ju...

[News] VoIP Startup Uses Linux; Truphone Uses Linux
Mobile Phones VoIP services start-up uses Open-Source Technology ,----[ Quote ] | Recently, I came across a start-up company offering VoIP services for | mobile phones. Apparently, they have built the service using almost | exclusively open-source technology, such as Asterisk PBX, Debian | GNU/Linux and MySQL. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/85666/index.html There's also this one: ,----[ Quote ] | Truphone is the world's first software only network operator - the few | pieces of hardware we need we buy online from the same well-known | manufacturers as everyone else. No...

Has anyone used a webcam under linux SUCCESSFULLY
Please report which one worked most easily. I would like high resolution. I will be using one for mostly taking a lot of single shot pictures with command line. thanks! i On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:37:11 +0000, Ignoramus24818 wrote: > Please report which one worked most easily. I would like high > resolution. I will be using one for mostly taking a lot of single > shot pictures with command line. > > thanks! > > i Try here http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ Lots info Dave Ignoramus24818 <ignoramus24818@NOSPAM.24818.invalid> wrote: > Please report which one...

Linux & Canon LBP1210 printer
Hello, I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to fire. Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated. thanks, Michael Boswell. Michael Boswell wrote: > Hello, > > I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said > printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I > have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to > fire. > > Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated. > > thanks, > Michael Boswell. Check www.linuxprinting.org. That model is not mentioned, the LBP1260 is. jef -- perl -e '$email="jef.peeraer\@deadspam.com"; $email =~ s/deadspam\.com/pandora\.be/;print "$email\n"' "Michael Boswell" <bozi@bigfoot.com.au> wrote in message news:3f1fad77@news.comindico.com.au... > Hello, > > I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said > printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I > have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to > fire. > > Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated. Unless Canon releases ...

anyone using the HP 9180 printer?
I've always assumed that when I'm ready to get a "real" photoprinter, it was going to be the Epson 2400, because I would want pigment-based inks, because B3 size is good enough for me, and because I can't spend thousands of (dollars, pounds, euros) on a printer. I'm not a professional, and I can't spend more on a printer than on a camera body! But I've just discovered the HP 9180. Seems to be a bit cheaper than the Epson, and also uses pigment inks. Am I correct that Canon's equivalent printer is the iPF 9500, which costs almost $2000. ...

Anyone using Linux to play games?
I'm wondering how driver support is for Linux. I have a AMD 64, Geforce FX 5900 Santa Cruz slound card.. Getting sick and tired of the constant virus attacks on Win2k. Any comments on which linux to use?Thanks,Dawg YanquiDawg wrote: > I'm wondering how driver support is for Linux. I have a AMD 64, Geforce FX 5900 > Santa Cruz slound card.. Getting sick and tired of the constant virus attacks > on Win2k. Any comments on which linux to use?Thanks,Dawg What virus attacks are you "getting sick and tired" of? I haven't had a single virus infect my machine. Ever. Try a virus checker. Linus too is susceptible to virus attacks although not as many due to its smaller customer base. If you're a serious game player don't even think about the making this move, no matter what the beards tell you. Thus spake Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk>, Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:44:38 +0100, Anno Domini: >YanquiDawg wrote: >> I'm wondering how driver support is for Linux. I have a AMD 64, Geforce FX 5900 >> Santa Cruz slound card.. Getting sick and tired of the constant virus attacks >> on Win2k. Any comments on which linux to use?Thanks,Dawg > >What virus attacks are you "getting sick and tired" of? I haven't had a >single virus infect my machine. Ever. > >Try a virus checker. Linus too is susceptible to virus attacks although >not as many due to its smaller customer base. Now there is the m...

Has anyone used a HP printer with an ADF?
I'm considering buying an Office Jet 6210. It says it's got an ADF. What I want: to be able to scan in documents unattended. I called them up and asked them to confirm that the 6210 did this. They confirmed that it does scan in autoamitcally 23 pages per minute. I was suspicious about this as the person who I was speaking to was looking at a manual and reading from it. I also emailed them before that and got a reply that gave me a one line quote from the product description (but didn't answer my question!). Can someone confirm: 1. Can I scan in several documents...

NAS device uses linux os
To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these? I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in them. It would be nice to be able to SSH into it, as it is now, the only interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job... Eric --- * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet! --- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24 ...

Anyone use HP CP1518 printer?
If so did you connect it via USB or ethernet? What is your evaluation of this printer on a Linux system? I have one on order. John Culleton ...

I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi. Plus they are about the same price on newegg.com. Are there any features that the i860 has that the MP360 doesn't? Otherwise why not get the MP360 and get a scanner too. any info would be appreciated. Canon i860 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9387&item=9442&section=10214 Canon MP360 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9527&item=9632&section=10223 Most people BUY a product based on how THEY will use the product. Maybe the first think you need to do sort out is your own imaging needs. "sydemon" <sydegun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49cf01cc.0405051118.15975f6@posting.google.com... : I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The : MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. : I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, : except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit : faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo : paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi...

What language does Canon Pixma printers use?
Many years ago, I wrote a program to print documents to my HP printer filling up the page; it adjusted the font size so the document would be inthe largest possible font. This involved calculations, and translating them into PCL language (the HP Printer Control Language) to print the document. I found my "Fullpage" program very useful over the years. Now I have bought a Canon printer and I'd like to be able to do the same thing with it. Can anyone tell me what print control language the Canon recognizes? On Nov 23, 8:56 am, Gary <gary...@hotmail.com>...

Does anyone use Clarion on Linux (Wine)?
Hi! Let me know if one of you are using Clarion 5.5 on Linux! Thanks in advance! Jean F�bio Barros wrote: > Hi! > > Let me know if one of you are using Clarion 5.5 on Linux! > I tried it, but it didnt work. On the WineHQ you can vote (and suggest) for applications that will get support in Wine. If some of us vote for it and create a donation box, I think we can get the people behind Wine to add support for Clarion. ...

anyone using PortScan on OS X?
I'm having a bit of trouble with it -- if anyone else has managed to get this to work under 10.4.7 or so, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks, - Joe On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:40:56 -0600 Joe Strout may have written: > I'm having a bit of trouble with it -- if anyone else has managed to > get this to work under 10.4.7 or so, I'd love to hear about it. What symptons and what is "PortScan"? nmap and it's counterparts work fine under OS X for me. PD -- Paul Day Web: http://www.enigma.id.au/ In article <1158025053.831311@colossus.enigma.id....

Web resources about - Anyone using Canon i-series printers? - comp.os.linux.hardware

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This $99 device turns your phone into a 3D printer
VIDEO: It uses a special resin and the light from your screen. 3D printers can be pretty expensive, but a company called OLO has created a new ...

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This portable printer fits in your laptop bag
We live in the digital age but sometimes you have to get a little old school. Plenty of people don't even own printers anymore, or they rely ...