Booting Linux from an external USB drive

Hi All,

I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing it
on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can
"dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (in
which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required.

To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the
drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the
drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get
messages like:

usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
sd 8:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x50000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
 unable to read partition table

Seems like a problem with the disk? I can't work out whether the problem is
with the file system, or the hardware itself. I did a hardware dagnostic on
the drive and it came up error-free. When I attach the drive in Windows I
can see it in PartitionMagic. I have no reason to believe there is a
problem with my USB ports, although I did try plugging the drive into a
different one - sadly this made no difference.

Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any known incompatibilities with the
kernel and my setup that I might be unaware of? My MoBo is a Gigabyte
K8N-Ultra9 (nForce4 Ultra).

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Mike
0
mdh (11)
10/16/2006 1:29:31 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Mike enlightened us comp.os.linux-(ab)users with:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing
> it on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I
> can "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging
> it (in which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required.
>
> To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the
> drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the
> drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get
> messages like:
>
> usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> sd 8:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x50000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
>  unable to read partition table

If you have a external powersupply for that notbook drive, use that one
and not the power supplied by the usb port.
The problem might be usb power intermittently is turned off when the
bios - after loading kernel - hands over control to the linux kernel.
Any current demand >100mA has to be "negotiated" with the driver, and
even then there is a limit of 500mA per usb socket.
incompatible products.  Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia  [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
0
Walter
10/16/2006 5:30:02 AM
Mike wrote:

> To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the
> drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the
> drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get
> messages like:
>
> usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> sd 8:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x50000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
>  unable to read partition table
>
> Seems like a problem with the disk?

No, it's probably a problem with the USB host controller or the IDE bridge.
Change them around, if you can.

> Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any known incompatibilities with
> the kernel and my setup that I might be unaware of? My MoBo is a Gigabyte
> K8N-Ultra9 (nForce4 Ultra).

No, it should be fine.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.
said:
> on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I
> can "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port.  To this
> effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the drive.
> This worked.... but
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
>  unable to read partition table
>
> Seems like a problem with the disk?

Probably.  If you can't read sector 0, something's really screwed up.
How is this thing powered?  Bus-powered, or external power supply?
Drives draw more power when they spin up, and that might be exceeding
the amount of power your bus can supply (though it really shouldn't).

> I can't work out whether the problem is with the file system, or the
> hardware itself.

There's no filesystem on sector 0.

> I did a hardware dagnostic on the drive and it came up error-free.

How, exactly, did you do this dagnostic?  What were the exact messages
it reported?

> I did try plugging the drive into a different [USB port] - sadly this
> made no difference.

Check the thing's power consumption if it's bus-powered.  Make sure it
doesn't exceed the power your ports can supply.  If you have other USB
devices that might be drawing power, try unplugging them.  Check your
machine's BIOS for any options that relate to USB ports or booting from
USB devices and fiddle with those settings in an intelligent way.

--
   Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
   dispensers.  I love it!  --Patrick Shaughnessy
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:30:02 +0200, Walter Mautner wrote:

> If you have a external powersupply for that notbook drive, use that one
> and not the power supplied by the usb port.
> The problem might be usb power intermittently is turned off when the
> bios - after loading kernel - hands over control to the linux kernel.
> Any current demand >100mA has to be "negotiated" with the driver, and
> even then there is a limit of 500mA per usb socket.

Guess what - I think you're right! :) I had another external USB box, which
doesn't get its power from USB but has a separate power adapter - and now
Ubuntu boots up every time. Weird.
I guess I need a new USB box then - the one that didn't work was a nice,
sleek little thing that had two USB connectors - one for data, one for
power. Looks like I'll need something more traditional - any
recommendations?

Thanks to all who replied,
Mike
0
Mike
10/16/2006 10:22:24 PM
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:29:31 +0000, Mike wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing it
> on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can
> "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (in
> which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required.
>
> To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the
> drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the
> drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get
> messages like:
>
> usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> sd 8:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x50000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
>  unable to read partition table
>
> Seems like a problem with the disk? I can't work out whether the problem is
> with the file system, or the hardware itself. I did a hardware dagnostic on
> the drive and it came up error-free. When I attach the drive in Windows I
> can see it in PartitionMagic. I have no reason to believe there is a
> problem with my USB ports, although I did try plugging the drive into a
> different one - sadly this made no difference.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any known incompatibilities with the
> kernel and my setup that I might be unaware of? My MoBo is a Gigabyte
> K8N-Ultra9 (nForce4 Ultra).
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help!
> Mike

Please read this article:

Keith
10/18/2006 2:20:38 PM
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:20:38 -0700, Keith wrote:

> Please read this article:

Thanks, interesting read. Fortunately in my case Linux boots up fine
straight from the external drive, *as long* as the power is not drawn from
the USB bus alone. The author doesn't seem to have that particular
problem...

Cheers,
Mike
0
Mike
--------------enig7B1EC3E99CF797E8EC218716

Mike wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing =
it
> on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can=

> "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (i=
> which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required.
>=20
> To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the
> drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the
> drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get
> messages like:
>=20
> usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> sd 8:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code =3D 0x50000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
>  unable to read partition table
>=20
> Seems like a problem with the disk? I can't work out whether the proble=
m is
> with the file system, or the hardware itself. I did a hardware dagnosti=
c on
> the drive and it came up error-free. When I attach the drive in Windows=
> can see it in PartitionMagic. I have no reason to believe there is a
> problem with my USB ports, although I did try plugging the drive into a=

> different one - sadly this made no difference.
>=20
> Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any known incompatibilities with=
 the
> kernel and my setup that I might be unaware of? My MoBo is a Gigabyte
> K8N-Ultra9 (nForce4 Ultra).
>=20
> Many thanks in advance for your help!
> Mike
Try using the flash drive in a USB-1.1 port. I don't care if it's
slower, it's usually a working solution.

--------------enig7B1EC3E99CF797E8EC218716

--------------enig7B1EC3E99CF797E8EC218716--
0
Segin

can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?
I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good solution to look into ... "wbsurfver@yahoo.com" <wbsurfver@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc67e501-2577-4df4-957c-bd76f7af7d09@c33g2000hsd.googlegroups.com... > > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow &...

Booting Linux off of a USB drive
Hi, I just figured out how to use a small USB pen drive as the primary hard drive for Linux. This information floats on the net in bits and pieces, so I figured I'd put it together. An update version can be found here: http://www.simonf.com/usb 1. Make sure your motherboard supports booting off of USB. You might need to enable USB in the BIOS. Try all USB slots (one out of two did not work for me). 2. You'll need to create a custom initrd image. Take your current image from /boot (see /etc/lilo.conf or /etc/grub.conf for the exact name). I'll call it initrd.img. ...

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Is it possible to boot Linux from a USB drive?
Hello, Is it possible to boot a Linux PC from a USB drive (flash or regular)? If so, if you could point me to a web site or document that explains how to do it, I'd appreciate that. Do I need a particular distro? Thanks. -- Robert Oschler http://www.robotsrule.com/phpBB2/ Robot & Android Discussion Forum "Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> writes: > Hello, > > Is it possible to boot a Linux PC from a USB drive (flash or regular)? > > If so, if you could point me to a web site or document that explains how to > do it, I'd appreciate that. Do I need a particular distro? It is possible if the BIOS supports booting from USB. You'll need a kernel with USB support builtin, rather than as modules. -- M�ns Rullg�rd mru@inprovide.com Robert Oschler wrote: > Hello, > > Is it possible to boot a Linux PC from a USB drive (flash or regular)? > > If so, if you could point me to a web site or document that explains how to > do it, I'd appreciate that. Do I need a particular distro? you might like this: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/globetrotter -- I'm Johnny Bobby Bee, and I approved this message. remove '.eh' to email On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:00:11 +0200, M�ns Rullg�rd wrote: > "Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> writes: > >> Hello, >> >> Is it possible to boot a Linux PC from a USB drive (flash or regular)? >> ...

Booting Linux from USB harddisk without BIOS USB booting support
Hi, I have a laptop with Windows XP. The harddisk space is pretty small, so I got an external harddisk and would like to install Linux there (currently trying Ubuntu 5.04). The problem is BIOS does not support booting from USB storage devices. I have tried to install it on external harddisk. Before installation I had disabled internal disk from BIOS, so it does not mess up the MBR. I have tried to get GRUB (not GRUB 2) on a floppy disk. After booting from floppy, I can see only (hd0,*), which is the internal harddisk, but cannot find device hd1. My understanding is that GRUB cannot see the external USB device at all, so it cannot boot from it. Are there any other solutions? Can I boot the kernel from floppy, enable USB harddisk, the continue without the floppy? I don't mind installing Linux on internal harddisk, but I cannot allocate large amount of disk space. Is the following possible? I map specific folders used for booting to internal harddisk. Say, I can allocate up to 500 MB of storage for that. The rest of file system will reside in external disk. Would this work? Would it be enough if I map the folder /boot to internal harddisk, and leave everything out in external drive? Will it be able to load USB drivers before continuing with the rest of the boot process? Bala. Hi, I have solved the problem. I mapped the "/boot" folder to a partition in internal hard drive and mapped external hard drive to "/&qu...

question about USB external flash drive in linux
hi, I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20 lsmod output: Module Size Used by Not tainted usb-storage 75200 0 scsi_mod 110936 1 [usb-storage] ide-cd 35808 0 (autoclean) cdrom 34176 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd] autofs 13684 0 (autoclean) (unused) iptable_filter 2412 0 (autoclean) (unused) ip_tables 15864 1 [iptable_filter] tulip 44544 1 keybdev 2976 0 (unused) mousedev 5688 1 hid 22404 0 (unused) input 6208 0 [keybdev mousedev hid] usb-uhci 27468 0 (unused) usbcore 82816 1 [usb-storage hid usb-uhci] ext3 73376 5 jbd 56336 5 [ext3] from /var/log/messages Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.2-1, assigned address 2 Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x9a6/0x8001) is not claimed by any active driver. Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for USB product 9a6/8001/100 Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00 Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage ...

Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux & Windows)
Hi, I need Windows for certain applications and Linux for certain other applications. But, the computer currently has only Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via USB stick !! :-) I am following the below steps for Windows XP from USB stick - http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) But, I understand that by the above method we can have the Windows XP booted up from the USB Stick and Windows XP will be using entire RAM :-( But, i would like to have Linux also ! Is it possible to have Linux and Windows simulataneously so that i can switch between Linux & Windows ? Any ideas ? Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru karthikbalaguru wrote: > Hi, > I need Windows for certain applications > and Linux for certain other applications. > But, the computer currently has only > Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. > I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed > on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via > USB stick !! :-) > > I am following the below steps for > Windows XP from USB stick - > http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html > (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) > > But, > I understand that by the above method > we can have the Windows XP booted > up from the USB Stick and Windows > XP will be using entire RAM :-( > > But, i would like to have Linux also ! > Is it possible to have Linux an...

Booting Linux from USB Flash Drive using Grub4Dos
Hi, Using Grub4Dos, I can start a number of Windows utilities stored in ISO images. Using UNetbootin, I can start/install Ubuntu on my laptop. However, I get an error when I try to start a Linux ISO image using Grub4Dos. Have you ever used Grub4Dos to launch a Linux ISO image? If so, can you send me a sample configuration? Thanks, Scott bump... On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 05:25:50 -0600, Scott Bass wrote: > Hi, > > Using Grub4Dos, I can start a number of Windows utilities stored in ISO > images. > > Using UNetbootin, I can start/install Ubuntu ...

Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive
Hello all, I have been searching for an answer to this question off and on for about a month. I have a dual boot system set up with Vista and Ubuntu. Everything is working great, relearning linux after getting away from it for a few years. Anyway, on my old computer that I had set up a few years ago to dual boot (XP and RedHat) I was able to set it up so it would only boot into linux if I put in a floppy. I now have Grub set up with Vista first so when my son starts up the computer, he can go into Vista and use his account. The problem is when I'm using linux, if I restart...

[News] Geekbox Boots GNU/Linux from USB, Sony Vaio Comes with GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program? | | [...] | | Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both. `---- http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993 ...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

External firewire HDD to dual-boot Linux with OS X on a G4 PowerBook
[crossposted] Hi group, I'm considering a LaCie Firewire 800 250GB D2 drive to hang onto my PowerBook G4 17" purely to accommodate Mandrake Linux 10, with a view to dual-booting alongside my existing OS X 10.3.3 internal drive. Can anybody here please tell me whether this is a viable scenario? I already have advice from elsewhere that this is possible in theory, but before I buy new hardware it would be nice to know whether someone has personal experience of successfully doing such a thing with this drive. Does anybody have an alternative recommendation to achieve this? Advoca...

Question:Can I boot from a floppy disk and install Linux from an external USB2.0 Drive
Hi, If I had made a linux file system on external USB2.0 drive then download the latest version of the Linux installation image files on it for friend's brand new machine Linux installtion, is there a specific boot floppy disk with USB driver built in for external USB drive installation. I knew the network boot disk can allow to do that installation on the local area network using the mounting way. But if this brand new machine is just a stand alone machine. If there is a way to do the installation using USB drive, then I can avoid the tedious buring CD image process and...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

boot a OS from linux
Hi, I have to check a sign on a crypted FS in a usb-key and then, after autenthication, boot a OS. I need a library to read in that FS and so I cannot boot directly from a loader (grub, lilo ). I think I can create a small linux distribution but I don't' know how to boot a new OS after the authentication... any suggestions ? (I cannot spend days & days to read the lilo or grub sources .. :-)) tnx, empo empedocle wrote: > Hi, > I have to check a sign on a crypted FS in a usb-key and then, after > autenthication, boot a OS. I need a library to read in that FS a...

Linux on external drive
I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to use the external drive using a boot manager on the main hard drive to load from the external drive? Thanks for your help -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Michael wrote: > I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around > with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb > drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to use the > external drive using a boot manager on the main hard drive to load from > the external drive? > A usb drive or a usb key .... the mainboard should see no difference at all. If you can set it to try a boot from usb (key or whatever is connected) first, then harddrive, you are the winner. -- vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software. Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962] ...

[News] USB Turntable Done with Linux, New USB Turnkey Bioinformatics Linux Distribution

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the > problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a > Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to > an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no > drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is > NTFS, and has two partitions). > > How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? > > Thanks aribloch: These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have been a source of continuing irritation (not to say aggravation) to many of us. For what it's worth we've put together a kind of checklist for troubleshooting this kind of problem which I've listed below. But before getting to them you might want to try the following... I'm assuming your reference ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

Web resources about - Booting Linux from an external USB drive - comp.os.linux.hardware

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

BuzzFeed Tries Out an External Banner Ad
... the NBCUniversal streaming comedy service Seeso, over the weekend. The digital media site has long favored custom-made native ads over external ...

More on AMD’s XConnect Tech: Thunderbolt 3 for External Radeons
... AMD issued a driver update that brought support for a new technology, XConnect. In a nutshell, XConnect is AMD’s trade name for running external ...

AMD wants to standardize the external GPU
(credit: Robert Hallock) AMD hints that it's working on a new external graphics card solution that promises to be "the answer" to "ultrathin" ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Three external hard drives up to 5TB are on sale at deep discounts on Amazon
... it's always worth considering. Well wouldn't you know it, Amazon is currently offering bigger-than-normal discounts on three different external ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

EMEA external storage market continues to decline in 4Q15 but all-flash adoption soars, says IDC
The total EMEA external storage systems value fell 7.5% on year to US$2.08 billion in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to IDC's EMEA Quarterly ...

Razer's 'Core' external GPU ships in April for $500
Razer announced pricing and availability for its new Core external graphics box at GDC on Wednesday. The device is available for pre-order starting ...