FAT16 FS type on USB stick

I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
upgrading.

I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.

$fdisk sda

displays

        ID:  6
System:  FAT16

for this stick.

Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
stick to backup /home?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City
0
slack (4)
12/20/2009 9:14:14 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9597 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Vwaju <slack@rcn.com> wrote:
> I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
> upgrading.
>
> I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>
> $fdisk sda
>
> displays
>
>        ID:  6
> System:  FAT16
>
> for this stick.
>
> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
> stick to backup /home?
>
> Thanks & Best Regards,
>
> Vwaju
> New York City

Use tar or cpio or dump, something *designed* to do a backup, not cp.

I'd recomend tar for your case, it's the simplest to use for both the
backup & restore.

	Jerry
0
Jerry
12/20/2009 9:53:56 PM
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

> I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
> upgrading.
>
> I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>
> $fdisk sda
>
> displays
>
>         ID:  6
> System:  FAT16
>
> for this stick.
>
> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
> stick to backup /home?
>
> Thanks & Best Regards,
>
> Vwaju
> New York City

Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use FAT16,
if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows box then
format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. Linux will
mount the stick with just about any file system but there is no reason to
use an inefficient one if you don't have to.

0
General
12/20/2009 9:58:58 PM
On Dec 20, 4:58=A0pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
> > I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
> > upgrading.
>
> > I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>
> > $fdisk sda
>
> > displays
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ID: =A06
> > System: =A0FAT16
>
> > for this stick.
>
> > Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
> > stick to backup /home?
>
> > Thanks & Best Regards,
>
> > Vwaju
> > New York City
>
> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use FAT16,
> if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows box then
> format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. Linux will
> mount the stick with just about any file system but there is no reason to
> use an inefficient one if you don't have to.

Thanks for your helpful comments, General.  gparted is not in the
Slackware 12.2 installation.  Couldn't I use fdisk?  (Or is there
another utility that I could/should use?)

Best, Vwaju
0
Vwaju
12/20/2009 10:34:11 PM
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:34:11 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

> On Dec 20, 4:58 pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
>> > I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
>> > upgrading.
>>
>> > I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>>
>> > $fdisk sda
>>
>> > displays
>>
>> >         ID:  6
>> > System:  FAT16
>>
>> > for this stick.
>>
>> > Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>> > stick to backup /home?
>>
>> > Thanks & Best Regards,
>>
>> > Vwaju
>> > New York City
>>
>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
>> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
>> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is
>> no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>
> Thanks for your helpful comments, General.  gparted is not in the
> Slackware 12.2 installation.  Couldn't I use fdisk?  (Or is there
> another utility that I could/should use?)

	I have been using fdisk to format USB sticks for some time now,
without any problems. I use ext2, rather than ext3, and I do backups on
my USB sticks with rsync.

0
Harold
12/21/2009 12:59:37 AM
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:34:11 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

> On Dec 20, 4:58 pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
>> > I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
>> > upgrading.
>>
>> > I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>>
>> > $fdisk sda
>>
>> > displays
>>
>> >         ID:  6
>> > System:  FAT16
>>
>> > for this stick.
>>
>> > Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>> > stick to backup /home?
>>
>> > Thanks & Best Regards,
>>
>> > Vwaju
>> > New York City
>>
>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
>> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
>> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is
>> no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>
> Thanks for your helpful comments, General.  gparted is not in the
> Slackware 12.2 installation.  Couldn't I use fdisk?  (Or is there
> another utility that I could/should use?)
>
> Best, Vwaju

fdisk is fine, so is regular parted, or you could just use mke2fs.
0
General
12/21/2009 2:42:36 AM
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:34:11 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

>>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
>>> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
>>> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is
>>> no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>>
>> Thanks for your helpful comments, General.  gparted is not in the
>> Slackware 12.2 installation.  Couldn't I use fdisk?  (Or is there
>> another utility that I could/should use?)
>>
>> Best, Vwaju
>
> fdisk is fine, so is regular parted, or you could just use mke2fs.

Though, of course, partioning it and setting the partition type is one
operation while putting a file system on it is another.  So, for
instance, you would use fdisk to repartition it, and then e2fsck to put
the file system on.
Joe
12/21/2009 6:46:28 AM
On December 20, 2009 16:14, in comp.os.linux.hardware, slack@rcn.com wrote:

> I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
> upgrading.
>
> I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>
> $fdisk sda
>
> displays
>
>         ID:  6
> System:  FAT16
>
> for this stick.
>
> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
> stick to backup /home?

No, but you /can/.

First and foremost, you need a filesystem that supports Unix file attributes
(UID, GID, permission bits, etc.). You can either
  - format the USB stick with a UNIXish filesystem (ext2, minix, ...) or
  - format a loopback file on the FAT16 fs with a unixish filesystem
Make this choice first.

If you choose to wipe the entire USB stick, then you can chose to either
  - partition the USB stick, or
  - use the entire USB stick, unpartitioned

If you choose to partition the entire USB stick, then you will probably want
to flag the Linux fs partitions with the LINUX partition ID before you
format the partition with your UNIXish filesystem.

If you choose to use the entire USB stick, unpartitioned, then you format
the entire device with your UNIXish filesystem, because in such a
situation, there /is no/ partition type.

If you choose to use a loopback file on the USB stick, then you only need to
format the file with the UNIXish filesystem; your partition type (if there
is one) should remain FAT16

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training   | Registered Linux User #112576

0
Lew
12/21/2009 3:51:15 PM
In article <7p7l12F5niU1@mid.individual.net>, schvantzkoph@yahoo.com
(General Schvantzkoph) writes:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

<snip>

>> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>> stick to backup /home?
>
> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there
> is no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.

This might be a bit off-topic, but has anyone noticed reliability
problems when adding large files to a FAT16-formatted memory stick?
I have a 2GB stick which I use to back up files from my Windows system
at work; I've found that if I write a lot more data (several hundred
megabytes) to a partially filled stick from a Windows box, some of the
files will often encounter strange (and unrecoverable) errors when I
try to read them back.  At first I thought that my stick was going bad
and got another one - but the second one did exactly the same thing.
The only way I can get reliable results is to format the stick each
time I write a lot of data to it, although I can add a few small files
later without problems.

I now suspect that the problem is either in the Windows drivers,
or is due to some design defect in the FAT16 file system.  My
Linux boxes can read and write the FAT16 sticks with no trouble,
although I continue to avoid adding large amounts of data to a
partly-filled stick.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is it another example
of typical Microsoft quality control?

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

0
Charlie
12/21/2009 4:59:07 PM
On 21 Dec 09 08:59:07 -0800, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
>In article <7p7l12F5niU1@mid.individual.net>, schvantzkoph@yahoo.com
>(General Schvantzkoph) writes:

>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

><snip>

>>> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>>> stick to backup /home?
>>
>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
>> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
>> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there
>> is no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.

>This might be a bit off-topic, but has anyone noticed reliability
>problems when adding large files to a FAT16-formatted memory stick?
>I have a 2GB stick which I use to back up files from my Windows system
>at work; I've found that if I write a lot more data (several hundred
>megabytes) to a partially filled stick from a Windows box, some of the
>files will often encounter strange (and unrecoverable) errors when I
>try to read them back.  At first I thought that my stick was going bad
>and got another one - but the second one did exactly the same thing.
>The only way I can get reliable results is to format the stick each
>time I write a lot of data to it, although I can add a few small files
>later without problems.

>I now suspect that the problem is either in the Windows drivers,
>or is due to some design defect in the FAT16 file system.  My
>Linux boxes can read and write the FAT16 sticks with no trouble,
>although I continue to avoid adding large amounts of data to a
>partly-filled stick.

>Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is it another example
>of typical Microsoft quality control?

FAT is an amazing piece of shit.  It should never have been used on
anything larger than 180K.  It takes nothing to corrupt it.
It can be reliable if your hardware is absolutely perfect.
0
AZ
12/21/2009 5:33:42 PM
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:58:58 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:14:14 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
>
>> I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
>> upgrading.
>>
>> I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>>
>> $fdisk sda
>>
>> displays
>>
>>         ID:  6
>> System:  FAT16
>>
>> for this stick.
>>
>> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>> stick to backup /home?
>>
>> Thanks & Best Regards,
>>
>> Vwaju
>> New York City
>
> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows box
> then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. Linux
> will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is no
> reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.

Also, you won't need journaling.  So, don't use the -j option when
formatting the USB stick to ext3.

Stef
0
Stefan
12/21/2009 6:23:47 PM
Stefan Patric wrote:

[putolin]

>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows box
>> then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. Linux
>> will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is no
>> reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>
> Also, you won't need journaling.  So, don't use the -j option when
> formatting the USB stick to ext3.

That would be formatting the stick to ext2... not ext3

0
GangGreene
12/22/2009 1:19:02 AM
On 2009-12-21, Lew Pitcher <lpitcher@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On December 20, 2009 16:14, in comp.os.linux.hardware, slack@rcn.com wrote:
>
>> I want to backup /home on my Slackware Linux 12.2 installation before
>> upgrading.
>>
>> I have a Dane Elec 2GB USB stick for the back up.
>>
>> $fdisk sda
>>
>> displays
>>
>>         ID:  6
>> System:  FAT16
>>
>> for this stick.
>>
>> Do I need to create a Linux partition (ID: 83) before I can use the
>> stick to backup /home?
>
> No, but you /can/.
>
> First and foremost, you need a filesystem that supports Unix file attributes
> (UID, GID, permission bits, etc.). You can either
>   - format the USB stick with a UNIXish filesystem (ext2, minix, ...) or
>   - format a loopback file on the FAT16 fs with a unixish filesystem
> Make this choice first.

Sounds like a lot of bother. Since the OP is using this for backup,
what's wrong with simply packing the files, *nix attributes and all,
into a tarball, cpio, whatever archive and simply storing that on the
vfat filesystem?

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 20:19:02 -0500, GangGreene wrote:

> Stefan Patric wrote:
>
> [putolin]
>

>>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows
>>> box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system.
>>> Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there
>>> is no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>>
>> Also, you won't need journaling.  So, don't use the -j option when
>> formatting the USB stick to ext3.
>>

> That would be formatting the stick to ext2... not ext3

Essentially, yes.  But to avoid confusion, I worded it the way I did.
Also, there are distinct, but minor differences, between the two.  Ext3
is not just ext2 with a journal.

Here's a quick overview of several Linux filesystems, including ext2 & 3:

   http://colbyframeco.com/~maco/nix/fs.pdf

Stef

0
Stefan
12/22/2009 7:00:07 AM
On 2009-12-22, Stefan Patric <not@thisaddress.com> wrote:

> is not just ext2 with a journal.

I have ext2 and ext3 and vfat files on the same vfat flash drive.  I can't
say about archiving.  Otherwise, works fine.  Provide umask access for
reg users when mounting drive and they too can copy from key.

nb
0
notbob
12/22/2009 2:42:49 PM
GangGreene wrote:
> Stefan Patric wrote:
>
> [putolin]
>
>>> Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. There is no reason to ever use
>>> FAT16, if it's important to you to be able to plug it into a Windows box
>>> then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. Linux
>>> will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is no
>>> reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to.
>> Also, you won't need journaling.  So, don't use the -j option when
>> formatting the USB stick to ext3.
>>

> That would be formatting the stick to ext2... not ext3

Actually a usb stick might be one of the smarter places to use
a journal since it may be yanked out at any time, possibly without
unmounting. The journal will reduce the chances of corruption and loss.
Not that I'm in any way suggesting that removal with unmounting is ok.
0
Joe
12/22/2009 7:18:21 PM
Joe Beanfish wrote:

> GangGreene wrote:
>> Stefan Patric wrote:
>>
>> [putolin]

>>> Also, you won't need journaling.  So, don't use the -j option when
>>> formatting the USB stick to ext3.
>>>

>> That would be formatting the stick to ext2... not ext3
>
> Actually a usb stick might be one of the smarter places to use
> a journal since it may be yanked out at any time, possibly without
> unmounting. The journal will reduce the chances of corruption and loss.
> Not that I'm in any way suggesting that removal with unmounting is ok.

It depends, if you are using it for a backup infrequenly then ext3 is ok,
but if your running an OS which writes very frequently thyen you have the
potentical to ruin the usb drive due to too many writes.

0
GangGreene
12/22/2009 11:07:21 PM
I demand that Charlie Gibbs may or may not have written...

[snip]
> This might be a bit off-topic, but has anyone noticed reliability problems
> when adding large files to a FAT16-formatted memory stick? I have a 2GB
> stick which I use to back up files from my Windows system at work; I've
> found that if I write a lot more data (several hundred megabytes) to a
> partially filled stick from a Windows box, some of the files will often
> encounter strange (and unrecoverable) errors when I try to read them back.

Are you *sure* that the actual capacity of the stick is what's claimed?

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/

Mr Flibble says... "GAME OVER, BOYS!"
0
Darren

FS: Octane R10K 195MHz CPU Module
Hi there, For sale is a 195MHz R10K module for Octane. The asking price is $25... Local pickup (West LA) is OK, or I can ship it within the US for $7.5.. ...

Amiga Stuff FS
The following equipment is for sale and pickup only. I do not have the time and inclination to ship it, I live in Glendale (Los Angeles area), California. I am asking $ 110 or best offer. Thanks! /mel saxofon@pacbell.net NONE OF THE FOLLOWING HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE WILL BE SOLD SEPARATELY!!!!! DON'T EVEN ASK!!! Amiga Stuff for Sale HARDWARE Amiga 2000HD Computer NO MONITOR with original A2000 keyboard no mouse Quantum 52MB SCSI Hard Drive df1: (2nd internal floppy drive) is bad Rev 6.2 Motherboard A2091 Rev 6.1 SCSI Card "Bigfoot" Power Supply Amig...

FS: PAINTBALL Heroes SEALED BOX CD-ROM #4
Visit http://www.seals4deals.co.uk Paintball Heroes CD-ROM Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=paintball&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at ou...

FS: CIVIL WAR The Game : History Channel XP #6
Visit http://www.seals4deals.co.uk Brand New PC CD-ROM in sealed DVD Case The History Channel CIVIL WAR The Game For Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP For Ages 12+ THE BATTLE IS ON America's bloodiest war is underway. Carnage and chaos are everywhere and the destiny of a country is in your hands. Withering fire cuts down your best regiments. The screams of the wounded are deafening. You must rally the troops and counterattack. Your skills as a strategic thinker and a tactical commander will decide the outcome. It's up to you to preserve the Union or win independen...

FS: Apple iPod 60gb White
Brand New iPod 60gb White only $374.99 plus $6 shipping anywhere in the continental United States. We accept Visa and MC only at this time. www.dealdelivery.net/catalog ...

numeric type and money
What are typical values for the precision and scale that are used by numeric type to represent money? is NUMERIC(10,2) OK? Also the docs say that numeric is very slow. What does this mean? Does it effect insert/update/select queries and if so by how much? thanks ...

FS: Apple disks
I have the following original 5.25" floppy disks that I want to get rid of. I would prefer that someone take all or most of these. I really don't want to deal with shipping dozens of individual packages. Please make me an offer and take these off my hands. DOS 3.2.1 Create DOS 3.3 System Master DOS 3.3 System Master For II, II+ and IIe ProDOS User's Disk For IIe and 64k II+ ProDOS 1.0 Based Utilities Mousepaint Apple II System Utilities For 128K Apple IIe and IIc ProDOS 1.1.1 Based Apple Presents the IIc And Introduction Applesoft Sampler ProDOS Based Image Writer T...

FS: Action RACING and SPORT Games on your PC
We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have over a thousand satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUCTI0NST0P For Children's Games, Educational, Language & Recreational Software ...

US-TX-Austin: Firmware Developer, C, SW Dev for ARM core, DSP56k, USB; Perm (45356032411)
US-TX-Austin: Firmware Developer, C, SW Dev for ARM core, DSP56k, USB; Perm (45356032411) ========================================================================================= Position: Firmware Developer Reference: SMC01964 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: Excellent C programming skills 4yrs real time embedded system software design experience-not just maintenance or support experience Exp with software development for ARM core and or DSP56k core USB SCSI prot...

FS: Amiga Hardware
Amiga 1200 Motherboard with 3.1 roms tested and working $85.00 Amiga 1200 880K Floppy Drive tested and working $25.00 DKB 1240 68030 Accelerator with 32MB of ram work great with 3.0. However it seems to crash with 3.1. $25.00 GVP A1230 Turbo + Series II in retail Box. This accelerator is NOT working! However, the simms should be okay. I have (1) 16MB simm and (1)MB simm. Have any questions please email me. $ 5.00 Commodore Amiga 520 Video Adaper for the Amiga A500 with retail box. ...

External USB hard drive?
I'd like to connect a new hard drive via USB to a recent Dell laptop PC running Windows XP. I'm wondering if the PC will recognize it. Recently I installed a second hard drive, a Maxtor 120 GB, in my desktop PC (Windows 2000). I had to use a driver that came with it (on CD) in order for this PC to recognize it, so I could then format it. I found a bunch of USB external enclosures here: http://www.pcmicrostore.com/SearchResult.aspx?q=kw:hard+drive+enclosure I've never set up an external USB hard drive before. It all seems pretty straightforward but I get a feeli...

'FS and IGNORECASE' does GnuWin32 & *nix differ?
OS - W2k Adv Server gawk - ver 3.1.0.2 Node:Field Splitting Summary Advanced Notes: FS and IGNORECASE http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_mono/gawk.html#Field% 20Splitting%20Summary The documentation states, "The IGNORECASE variable affects field splitting only when the value of FS is a regexp." It gives the sample *nix code of: FS = "c" IGNORECASE = 1 $4 = "aCa" print The documentation states, " aCa." But note the difference with the GnuWin32 code: ********* test.txt ********** aCa ********* sample.awk ********** BEGIN { FS = "c&quo...

(wrong-type-argument processp nil)
I get this error whenever I try to activate "shell-mode", exactly I get this backtrace: Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument processp nil) process-command(nil) shell-mode() call-interactively(shell-mode) execute-extended-command(nil) call-interactively(execute-extended-command) What could that be in your opinion? I just update my emacs version (on arch-linux) but without success..: GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of 2009-07-01 on Erix Hi Andrea, > I get this error whenever I try to activate "shell-mode", exactly I &...

Is there a Double (double-precision floating-point) variable type in Delphi ?
I convert a DLL Declaration made in VB to Delphi and there is double (double-precision floating-point) variables. In VB it is a DOUBLE type. I have not found this type of variable in Delphi VB Documentation. Double (double-precision floating-point) variables are stored as IEEE 64-bit (8-byte) floating-point numbers ranging in value from -1.79769313486232E308 to -4.94065645841247E-324 for negative values and from 4.94065645841247E-324 to 1.79769313486232E308 for positive values. The type-declaration character for Double is the number sign (#). Any Suggestions ? -- S...

A slightly longer mini-oof2.fs example.
Hello clf, mini-oof2.fs is included in gforth, and is supposedly mini-oof.fs (an object system in a screen) plus something called a "current object". If you search clf, mini-oof2.fs is mentioned a few times in passing and then there's a long thread where Bernd supports object systems having a "current object" while others are skeptical of this. There is also an example of a 'point' class. Please take a look at this longer example: \ ------------------------------------------------------------ require mini-oof2.fs object class method :unshif...

Firewire to USB adapter
The USB 2.0 PCI card on my G4 just died. Before I just buy another PCI card I was wondering if there is a Firewire to USB adapter available. When I searched the internet I found lots of items for adapting a computer USB port to connect to a Firewire accessory (like a movie camera) but nothing which converted a Firewire port to a USB device (like a USB hub). Do they exist? Thanks. Don D <wawalake500-one@yahoo.ca> wrote: > The USB 2.0 PCI card on my G4 just died. Before I just buy another PCI > card I was wondering if there is a Firewire to USB adapter available. > When I sea...

FS : 1 bit of a byte !
It's a part of a game, you can program the rest yourself. Only $ 0.0000001 ! ...

Converting FAT16 to FAT32
I have a 4GB FAT16 partition which is inaccessible from OS/2. How do I go about converting it to FAT32? Or would re-sizing it would allow OS/2 to access it? John Poltorak wrote: > > I have a 4GB FAT16 partition which is inaccessible from OS/2. > > How do I go about converting it to FAT32? > > Or would re-sizing it would allow OS/2 to access it? If you have a 4GB FAT partition then you must use only the Windows NT family with it. And only Windows NT could create it. You should have set it up to be an NTFS partition in that case. FAT is not too safe/easy a...

A "how does it work" type question
May I ask this. Given the declaration: int myf( int, int); and a function pointer: (*fp)=int myf(int, int); where I am initializing fp to point at myf....or trying to.. int main (){ i=myf (3, 4); return 0; } A definition of: int myf( int a, int b){ return a+b; } What goes on in the workings of C when myf is called, and how does this differ from calling myf like this? (*fp)(3,4); If I am not that clear with this question, then it is because I am not that clear about what I am asking, but I am trying to get a conceptual picture of what happens when functions are called....and marryin...

USB Flash drive questions
I would like to be able to use one of these tiny pocket USB Flash drives on my RPC. Can anyone advise me please. 1) To enable me to store RO stuff on the drive which I presume would be PC formatted, what software would I also need or is it a case of 'zipping' everything first? 2) At work, the standard flash drive they use is a V-TEC 128Mb, has anyone successfully used one of these from an RPC? 3) If there is more than one choice of USB card upgrade, which would best for me? TIA. Cheers, Bob. -- Bob Latham Stourbridge, West Midlands In article <4cdb2e56d2bob@nos...

'Image for composite types
Is it just me that gets fed up with the lack of 'Image on composite types? I'm thinking in particular of when I'm testing / debugging and usually end up writing lots of 'Put_Line' code for each and every record. And then having to maintain them. It got me thinking that the language could be expanded to include some helper attributes for easily composing a function that could return a String a la 'Image for scalar types. function record_type_definition'Component_Name (I : Positive) return String; function record_type_definition'Component_Image (I : Posit...

FS: HP laptop
--WebTV-Mail-380-999 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit HP pavilion N3390 laptop 10gig HD dvd player WinXP formated comes with: cd burner and boot disc webcam and boot disc winXP boot win95 boot win98 boot game disc's (100's) multi usb hub 10/100 wireless ethernet card ,boot disc, and hardware carry case and more... Will be reformated befor being shipped out. send offers via e-mail please. ALSO for sale: --Gykers -full lenth finger rings... (5 in all) --30-40gal tote of legos (I spent over $3g over 2-3 yrs time) Willing to sell for less ...

USB tethering with iPhone
So I try tethering with my fancy new iPhone and old laptop. I tend to go USB by preference. (saves on battery for both) It fails. USB tethering has been problematic for some time, but I had it working on my iphone4 Figured perhaps the "iPhone" networking entry in system settings was tied to my old iphone so I deleteed it , hoping a new one would get created. It didn't Started to search around and it appears this problem has been on and off for a long time, and iTunes is the one which supplies a bad file with each new version. AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext is the cul...

FS: Family FUN GAMES including Backgammon CD-ROM #2
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=Family+fun&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/seals4-Dea...

USB Modem with Caller-id?
Hi! Do you know if there is any USB modem with caller-id currently available in US market, which work with MacOS X? Thanks! -- Stephan Paul Arif Sahari Wibowo _____ _____ _____ _____ /____ /____/ /____/ /____ _____/ / / / _____/ http://www.arifsaha.com/ ...