given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD - should I learn SCO or reformat and use Linux?

I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives,
64MB RAM.
It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.

I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
to learn Linux.  Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP (
Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL).

Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?

Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be
database intensive?

0
noname8 (121)
12/18/2005 1:07:50 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

NotGiven wrote:
> I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives,
> 64MB RAM.
> It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.
>
> I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
> to learn Linux.  Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP (
> Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL).
>
> Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?
I would dump SCO for a recent Linux distro.

> Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be
> database intensive?
I would spend $100 to add 512 MB of RAM.  More is better.
0
timkeck (5)
12/18/2005 1:21:22 PM
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote:

> Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?

Linux, of course.  I'd go with debian for a server.

> Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be
> database intensive?

Databases want RAM.  at 64MB, your database will be unusably slow....

Up that to 512 or 1GB, and your database will fly.  (I know, I run mySQL
on an old HP netserver.  With the original 128 MB ram it was awful.  Now
with 1 GB, it flies.)

0
yan (1424)
12/18/2005 5:19:43 PM
In article <0cadnQhmK8rO_zjenZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@catvexpress.net>,
 Tim Keck <timkeck@gmpexpress.net> writes:

|> > Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be
|> > database intensive?
|> I would spend $100 to add 512 MB of RAM.  More is better.

But better have a look at the exact type of the RAM. Some older Precision
Workstations from Dell have DIMMs which look like ordinary SDRAM (and also fit
into the socket), but are actually EDO-DRAM.

--
         Georg Acher, acher@in.tum.de
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher
"Captain Dondo" <yan@NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote:
>>
>> Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?
>
> Linux, of course.  I'd go with debian for a server.
>

>> Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will
>> be
>> database intensive?
>
> Databases want RAM.  at 64MB, your database will be unusably slow....
>
> Up that to 512 or 1GB, and your database will fly.  (I know, I run mySQL
> on an old HP netserver.  With the original 128 MB ram it was awful.  Now
> with 1 GB, it flies.)

The RAM for this is expensive, new is $70 - $100.  Used is $20 + $18 for
shipping for 256.

Dell has a new p4, 1GB RAM and 2x80GB SATA drives for $500, I wonder if I
wouldn't be better with that deal.

0
noname2961 (15)
12/18/2005 5:38:25 PM
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:07:50 -0500, NotGiven wrote:

> I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives,
> 64MB RAM.
> It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.
>
> I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
> to learn Linux.  Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP (
> Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL).
>
> Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?
>
> Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be
> database intensive?

You need more RAM, up it to at least 512M. However there is one caveat, if
the server uses RDRAM then use it as a doorstop or as a boat anchor.
Servers of that era frequently used RDRAM which is very expensive. As a
rule of thumb you shouldn't spend any significant amounts of money on a
machine that old. A new bottom of the line machine will be faster then a 5
or 6 year old server and it will come with a much larger disk and more
memory. A quick look at the HP website list a machine for $360, and that
includes Windows which means that you could easily put a Linux system
together for $300 so it doesn't make sense to throw more than $100 into
your old box.

0
schvantzkoph (1943)
12/18/2005 5:56:39 PM

>> Up that to 512 or 1GB, and your database will fly.  (I know, I run mySQL
>> on an old HP netserver.  With the original 128 MB ram it was awful.  Now
>> with 1 GB, it flies.)
>
> The RAM for this is expensive, new is $70 - $100.  Used is $20 + $18 for
> shipping for 256.
>
> Dell has a new p4, 1GB RAM and 2x80GB SATA drives for $500, I wonder if I
> wouldn't be better with that deal.

That makes much more sense then putting a couple of hundred bucks worth of
RAM into a five year old machine. Personally I don't buy Dell's anymore
because they are an Intel only shop, all of my new machines are Athlon64s,
but $500 for a machine with 1G of RAM and a P4 is a good deal.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)

SCO Distributed Linux for 5 Years
http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=caldera >Release Date 2002/11/19 2002/01/30 2001/07/02 2000/02/21 >1999/09/13 1999/04/19 1998/09/28 1998/02/23 >On 15 May 2003, SCO suspended the distribution of its Linux-based >operating systems, claiming intellectual property infringments. If Unix code some how got into Linux and the code they disclosed so far dates back to the early ages of Unix how the fuck can they say they distributed it with out any knowledge? Freeride wrote: > http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=caldera > > >...

[News] Second Life Uses 2,000 Debian Linux Servers; The Film 300 Used Linux
Inside Second Life's Data Centers ,----[ Quote ] | Second Life runs on 2,000 Intel and AMD servers in two co-location | facilities in San Francisco and Dallas. The company has a commitment | to open source, with servers running Debian Linux and the MySQL | database. Linden Lab chose Debian Linux because the software is | suited to scaling massively with a small IT staff, said Linden | Lab CTO Cory Ondrejka. `---- http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800179 Trivia for 300 (2006) ,----[ Quote ] | The filmmakers prefer Macintosh, but large portions of the movie...

What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%
Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%. Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox. Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to reject linux. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com ** On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: > Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or > more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%. > > Firefox managed to make it and...

[NEWS] Linux based routers *wormed* and the Linux desktop and servers are suppose to be secure? Not if humans beings created it and use it that Linux is secure -- noway.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/psyb0t_home_networking_worm/ <copied> Vulnerable devices include any home router or modem that uses Linux Mipsel, has an administration interface, sshd, or telnet in a DMZ, and employs a weak password. Once the malware takes hold, it locks legitimate users out of the device by blocking telnet, sshd, and web access. It then makes the devices part of a botnet. The researchers said they first learned of the worm while investigating DDoS attacks that hit DroneBL's infrastructure two weeks ago. <end copy> Inspector Thumper wrote: &g...

2 Hdd
Hi, who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot, root, swap partition to the new sco server. I need to backup the applications from the old one, but don't forgett i have not the old maschin only the hd. I have test it with divvy, fdisk, mkdev hd 1 0 ..... but it doesn't work yet. Please help me. Otherwise i will loos my mind. thx Adrian In article <ec4oej$q2h$1@online.de>, 1und1 <adrian-p@gmx.de> wrote: >Hi, > >who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot, >root, swap partition to the ne...

A Linux/SCO what if?
Lets assume that SCO wins all the marbles - I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell, but this is a country where you can be sentenced to jail for accepting a bribe that the other person was aquitted of giving. You never know what a court might come up with here. Is Germany, France, Australia, Brazil (Add your favorite country here) going to read the judgement of the US court and suddenly write checks for several billion dollars? What happens when a US marshal with a seizure warrant shows up at AirBus and says, "I am freezing your bank accounts for non-payment of debt.&qu...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

[News] SCO Expert Uses Linux
SCO's Expert Marc Rochkind Uses Ubuntu Linux as a Server! ,----[ Quote ] | SCO's expert, Marc Rochkind, on April 29 put on his blog a report on | his daughter using Ubuntu Linux, saying she didn't even realize it | wasn't Windows until he told her. `---- http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060702054816968 ...

Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.
I just stepped into a network support position to find a Pentium 100 running some long lost version of Red Hat Linux with FreeS/WAN 1.91 running as the VPN endpoint for our connection to our colocation servers. To say the least I dont want to touch this beast with too heavy a hand for fear of it breaking before I can document everything that its doing. However, out of the blue a problem has apeared. While the rest of the network can see the colo site using this box as a gateway the box itself cannot conect out. This is a problem as it is also our DNS cache for the DNS server at the colo site. Any ideas as to what I should look for while trying to fix this? ...

Linux for children (4.5 year old)
I have a 4.5 year old who is able to type somewhat OK. I have a old 700 Mhz PC that we set up as "his computer". It is firewalled using my main linux box to do address translation. There were a few reasons why I decided to give him linux. One is that he is not yet good enough with a mouse. I want to get him into a text mode shell and to teach him a few commands at first, such as commands to play music. Other reasons, such as security, evil microsoft, viruses, etc are obvious. So, my goals are 1) security 2) having something worthwhile for him to do 3) ease of use The areas I...

SCO, Linux, and Microsoft in the History of OS: 1970s
roughlydrafted is reviewing some history as background on the recent revelations about Daniel Lyons and his anti-Linux campaign. Story is also linked to SCO, Microsoft, and other players. Second part of a series... <Quote> [continued from part one: Daniel Lyons: Fake Steve Jobs and the SCO Shill Who Hated Linux] [historical context important for understanding SCO case...] [lots of misleading information because lots of money involved...] [Lyons and Enderle worked together on anti-Linux crusade...] They frequently wrote not only about how doomed Linux itself was, but also how delu...

Can SCO Unix application run on Linux?
is it possible? limitation? On 10/13/05 08:14, JackPhil wrote: > is it possible? limitation? > Look for ibcs package. A few years ago it was very popular at my work because we were migrating from SCO Ciao Giovanni -- A computer is like an air conditioner, it stops working when you open Windows. Registered Linux user #337974 <http://counter.li.org/> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:14:18 +0800, JackPhil <allisfree@gmail.com> wrote: >is it possible? limitation? You need a lawyer to protect you from the inevitable lawsuit. -- I'm not really a human, but I...

5 reasons to use UNIX insead of Linux
This may provide a few giggles. Enjoy- http://www.thescogroup.com/5reasons/ -- Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches," - Steve Ballmer os2@www.com wrote: > This may provide a few giggles. Enjoy- > > http://www.thescogroup.com/5reasons/ > > -- > Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property > sense to everything it touches," - Steve Ballmer Whoa. Did you see the customer for the 1st case study: Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners. That must have meant that the Mic...

Binary sco 5.0.4 to Linux
Hi, firstly I hope excuse my poor English. I have asked if I can contribute in an operation they want a Informix Database installed on a SCO 5.0.4 with the 4GL. Tell me if this is possible, once downloaded patches on an ABI ubuntu 9? The process involves copying from SCO to Linux and run anything else? I think I can get installation of Informix, that can run on a modified version of linux? Well, I hope I can help with this, because I can earn a few cents .. ;-) Thanks! On Jul 29, 6:55=A0pm, Leopoldo <ljr.argent...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, firstly I hope excuse my poor English. > ...

Carry users form SCO OS to LINUX
I have a SCO SystemV Openserver system. I have now setup another server with REd Hat Linux 9.Is there any way to carry the user info from SCO to Linux without having to individually create the users in Linux. regards Venu P.Venugopal wrote: > I have a SCO SystemV Openserver system. I have now setup another > server with REd Hat Linux 9.Is there any way to carry the user info > from SCO to Linux without having to individually create the users in > Linux. Do you mean the users' passwords and account information, or their data directories, or both? Wny not just write a script ...

Dell Server for SCO 5.0.6
I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840? Thanks, --Ray On Fri, Apr 24, 2009, RWP wrote: >I'm looking to replace my Dell server for OSR 5.0.6. I find that none >of the current Dell tower server models are officially approved for >OSR 5.0.6, but the PowerEdge 840 is certified for OSR 5.0.7. Anyone >running 5.0.6 on the PowerEdge 840? We are running SCO 5.0.6a in VMware virtual...

SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server
Hi I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've tried. There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data. From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so nothing gets retrieved and it fails. Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size 0 ? Thanks for any advice. PS I have exchanged several emails with microlite supp...

[News] Accounting Web Uses Lenovo and Dell Linux Preinstalls to Recommend Linux
Is it time to exit from Windows? ,----[ Quote ] | The offer of pre-installed Linux by mainstream PC makers doesn't mean the | open-source operating system is poised to sweep aside Microsoft’s; but while | its cost advantages may never be compelling, finance departments must prepare | to consider the merits of switching their own operations to Linux – and to | hear a stronger case for its company-wide adoption. | | [...] | | According to Dell, up to 30,000 buyers have already asked for pre-installed | Linux. `---- http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=171829&...

[News] Linux Boots in 5 Seconds, Dell Puts MontaVista Linux on Board

[News] [Linux] 5 Reasons to Use GNU/Linux (Free Software Magazine)
Why everybody should use GNU/Linux, and how? ,----[ Gist ] | Number one reason, it's fun. | | Reason two, therefore: it's free. | | Reason three: community. | | Reason four: responsibility. | | Reason five: it is very reliable. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/beginners_gnu_linux_part_1 Related: 11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux. | Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows. | Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gn...

Can SCO Unix application run on Linux? #2
I have some applications run on OpenServer5.x. Unfortunately, i have no source so i cant recompile it. is it possible to migration to the Linux? solution? limitation? ...

Web resources about - given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD - should I learn SCO or reformat and use Linux? - comp.os.linux.hardware

Dell PowerEdge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dell gives the name PowerEdge (PE) to its server product line. Most PowerEdge servers use the x86 architecture . The early exceptions to this, ...

PowerEdge R630 Delivers 10x the performance for Microsoft SQL Server
Computerworld Australia is the leading source of technology news, analysis and tools for IT decision makers, managers and professionals. ...

Review: Dell's 13G PowerEdge R730xd, a workhorse server with a kick
Hardware improvements, rich storage options, and plenty of room for expansion add up to a very fast, flexible 2U workhorse

Review: Dell's 13G PowerEdge R730xd, a workhorse server with a kick
... and storage. It's not often that you see real innovation making its way into these systems. With the release of the 13th-generation PowerEdge ...

Dell Talks 13G PowerEdge Servers as 12th Generation Hits Market
Dell executives say they are ramping up customer interaction as they plan for PowerEdge servers that will hit the market in 2014. - Just as Dell ...

ET deals: Dell PowerEdge T110 II dual-core server for $259
If you're looking to snag a nice barebones server on the cheap, check out the PowerEdge T110 II from Dell. It'll take a bit of DIY spirit to ...

Dell 3-2-1 Reference Configurations: High-availability virtualization with Dell PowerEdge R515 servers ...
Dell 3-2-1 Reference Configurations help companies simplify the design, ordering and deployment of a highly available virtualized infrastructure. ...

Cuisinart CBT-1000 PowerEdge Review
It’s not always easy to find a blender which can perform well while not costing a substantial amount of money, however the Cusinart CBT-1000 ...

Dell brings 40-Gigabit Ethernet into its PowerEdge blade system
Dell will flesh out its new virtual networking strategy at Interop next month when it shows off a 40-Gigabit Ethernet switch for its PowerEdge ...

Save $500+ on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II Dual-Core Server
There's no hard drive or operating system, but even with those additional costs, this is still a top-notch value.