How to enable hardware compression on Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive?

Hello,

i'd like to switch on the hardware compression of my Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive. But how?

I'm using 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel on Debian Lenny.

I tried switching on the compression with mt-st (V1.1):
  # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression on
  # echo $?
  0

But nothing changed.

mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression without further argument didn't show any result.

Even
  # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression Dasfsf
didn't report any error.

So this command seems to be totally meaningless to the drive.

Density code is 0x30:
  # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 status
  SCSI 2 tape drive:
  File number=1, block number=0, partition=0.
  Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x30 (AIT-1 or MLR3).
  Soft error count since last status=0
  General status bits on (81010000):
   EOF ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Maybe i have to change this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TW
0
news-dfn1 (7)
7/18/2009 7:59:41 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

hardware compression for VXA-2 tape drive
Does hardware compression work for anyone on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I am using the internal VXA-2 tape drive on a Windows XP Pro PC with the Veritas Backup Exec software (version 4.5). Thanks, Lynn ...

Sony AIT-1 IDE tape drive performance
I'm trying to find some performance references for my Sony tape drive. My backups are taking 12+ hours and only getting 80Mb/minute throughput. Is this typical for IDE tape drives? I've explored the usual...updated IDE drivers, updated Sony firmware, updated Sony tape drive driver. Same result. Drive is currently loaded as a slave to the DVD drive - could that be my problem? Thanks, Joe ...

disable hardware compression on VXA-2 tape drive
Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I just maxed out the tape at 116 GB. I suspect that I might get better compression from my Backup Exec software. Thanks, Lynn McGuire "Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message news:4027b1d7$0$134$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com... > Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression > on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I just maxed out the > tape at 116 GB. I suspect that I might get better compression > from my Backup Exec software. > > Thanks, > Lynn McGuire You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression enabled. Rob > You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute > it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression > enabled. I did try that. Apparently it either does not work or Backup Exec does not respect it. It would be nice if it was a permanent change to the tape drive. Thanks, Lynn "Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message news:4028fe5b$0$124$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com... > > You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute > > it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression > > enabled. ...

Sony SDX-500 AIT tape drive problems
Throwing this out there to see whether anyone else has had the same problem and can offer suggestions before I go to site to look at it. We have a Sony SDX-500 AIT tape drive connected via an Advansys PCI controller to a Compaq rack-mount server running Linux. The drive is used on a weekly basis to backup an important filesystem using the dump utility. The drive, having worked in the past, has started exhibiting the following behaviour (reported by users on site, so subject to their having passed the correct info on to me): on placing a tape in the drive which has been known to work in th...

Adaptec 2940UW and Sony AITi90/S (a.k.a SDX-400C) tape drive
I am about to buy a Sony AIT1 AITi90/S (a.k.a SDX-400C) tape drive http://www.storagebysony.com/products/productmain.asp?id=137 and I'm trying to work out whether it will work with an ageing Adaptec 2940UW card that I have had for years. The Sony specs say "Ultra Wide SCSI Single-ended / Low Voltage Differential 68 pin connector". The Adaptec card has two 68 pin connectors (1 external, 1 internal) and a 50 pin internal connector thrown in for good measure. Judging by the name, it's certainly Ultra Wide SCSI, but how do I tell if it supports LVD? (Do I need LVD?) I'm p...

HP35480 hardware compression linux
G'day, I suspect that this old HP35480 tape drive is not backing up to capacity. Possibly becuase hardware compression is turned on, and the backup software i am using uses software compression (AMANDA) I have looked over the mt(1) man page and tried the compression commands which exited silently and nothing in the logs suggested that compression has changed. I have just found this excellent posting circa '94 which seems to explain why the mt commands don't appear to work... http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=CL027o.7wo%40bri.hp.com So my question is "How do i send a mode select command under linux?" I realise that i could set/check the switches on the device, however, i'd much rather be able to do this remotely and without interrupting client workflow. Thanks in advance, ram. Ram <ramsmith@gmail.com> wrote: > G'day, > > I suspect that this old HP35480 tape drive is not backing up to > capacity. Possibly becuase hardware compression is turned on, and the > backup software i am using uses software compression (AMANDA) [deleted] If this is your suspicion (sp?) (which is a sensible one, because software and hardware compression often/nearly_always conflict) then why don't you disbale the hardware compression on the drive itself? AFAIK, on all DDS drives, especially the old ones, you can (enable/)disable hardware compression by setting a switch (or jumper) on the...

Sony Tape Drive Compression
This group appears more suited to this question than comp.compression... I have a Sony AIT-2 SCSI tape drive using 50/120 GB tapes and Retrospect Backup 6.0. Sony's compression ratio is advertised as 2.6. The maximum I've ever gotten on a tape using hardware compression is around 57 GB. I realize compression is dependent on file type, and I am backup up a mix of non-compressed and compressed files. But, out of curiosity, what have others seen using this drive? Using a backup of an operating system drive (w/ no user data) as a reference may make comparison easier. Tha...

DLL errors: The hardware, the hardware, it's ALWAYS the hardware...
As John stated in the DLL Hell thread: "Really? How many of those links are cases of "DLL Hell'? Thats where a program replaces an existing Windows DLL with its version. All these are a bunch of links where a DLL is missing or corrupted. Its a pretty safe bet that 10.3 also will suffer from missing or corrupted files due to disk problems. As evidenced by the frequent need to trash certain programs preference files." This is the age-old "cheap unreliable hardware" argument that John always runs back to when cornered about Windows' shortcomings. Isn't it interesting that whenever Mac advocates bring up Apple's unique ability to integrate high-quality hardware and software, the Winidiots always blast Apple for not selling cheap commodity hardware? Yet whenever Windows has a problem, the Winidiots always seem to blame it on "cheap hardware." Some Winidiot always loudly trumpets the fact that "you can get PC system X down at Fry's for $499," but whenever Windows fucks up, the excuse is "well, what do you expect from a bargain basement PC?" You can't have it both ways, kids. Either cheap hardware is a benefit, or it's a curse. It's been proven that Apple's high end machines (Dual G5s) have a significant price/performance advantage over dual Xeon systems, yet Wintel lovers like to whine about how expensive Macs are. If you combine this with the fact that...

Sony AIT-3 tape drive
Anyone know if a Sony AIT-3 tape drive will run on an Origin 300? Any info will be appreciated. Ellis Golub ============================================================= Ellis Golub Phone: (215) 898-4629 Biochemistry Department FAX: (215) 898-3695 University of Pennsylvania ellis@biochem.dental.upenn.edu School of Dental Medicine 240 South 40th Street Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030 Home: http://biochem.dental.upenn.edu/~ellis/ PGP: http://biochem.dental.upenn.edu/~ellis/public_key.html ============================================================== E...

Hardware question (connecting a tape drive)
Hello I have a VAX 4100 to which is connected a disk tower (SCSI) from the port on the back of the VAX. I think I can connect a tape drive to the inside of the disk tower, as I see another port in there. But I don't have a cable that fits. On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape drive directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured I could then go from there to the disk tower. I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) but no more DK's. So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what type they are. The tape drive is like this one, at the bottom of the page you can see the SCSI ports. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-STD62400N-Ext--DAT-24-12%2F24Gb-DDS3-Tape-Drive_W0QQitemZ300378486086QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091217?IMSfp=TL091217187002r9830 Is there any way to serialize the connection of disk drives and a tape like I tried to do ? I can buy a cable to connect the tape to the disk tower, but I'm not evgen sure this will work. If someone can advise... Thanks ! Syltrem "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:Np7on.68685$rq1.38335@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com... > I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of > DKA devices. ...

[News] Linux Hardware Support Further Improved; Sun Buys Hardware Company
Rt2x00 project for wireless nearing success ,----[ Quote ] | Van Doorn describes the project's goal as enabling a device that "works out | of the box. The driver should be rock-solid, have excellent data throughput, | and not consume more memory than strictly needed. For advanced users, it | should be possible to create multiple virtual interfaces and put them all in | master mode for software access point and create an extra virtual interface | for monitor mode just to show off to users of other operating systems. | | "Linux support for Ralink hardware has had a bad ...

Sony S AIT-1 compression disabled?
Hi, I'm using Sony's S AIT-1 internal drive for backup purposes in a Win 2003 SBS machine. It seams to me that it is not using hardware compression when performing backup, although it's enabled through the Ntbackup configuration. When I look at the drive properties in the Device manager, i see the "Compression Enabled" parameter set to FALSE. (although the the drive is Compression enabled..). Does anyone have an idea how to set this to TRUE, that is to Enable hardware compression? Thanks, Andrija. ...

Backup OS-9 hard drives on PC hardware.
When I was trying to back up my SyQuest EZ135 SCSI hard drive on a PC, I ran in to an interesting problem. I had the PC (parallel) version of the EZ135, and a SCSI version (hooked to my OS-9 machine). When I inserted a non-DOS formatted platter, the PC would not recognize it. The BIOS (or something) wanted the first sector to be PC-ish. So, my solution was to write a quick program in C to back up the first 512 bytes (sector) of the OS-9 disk, and copy the 512-byte sector from a PC disk to the OS-9 disk. This created an OS-9 disk (unusuable) that would be recognized by the PC. From...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

Hardware requirement for hardware in the loop
I want to setup a laboratory for general hardware in the loop simulation. I developed xpc target and real time workshop. I want to order some hardware and electronic boards for interfacing. what is the most general interfaces cards and I/O.(A/D,D/A, CAN controller .......) which type and which marks is better to buy????? which cards you used in your company or Institue??? Is there any general rack for hardware in the loop? Thanks On Feb 25, 9:39 pm, omidamir2...@gmail.com wrote: > I want to setup a laboratory for general hardware in the loop > simulation. > I developed xpc targ...

Adaptec 2940 and Sony AIT-2 Tape Drive Problems
I have been having some issues running backup on my Linux file server the past few weeks. The server setup is as follows: OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant) SCSI Card: Adaptec 2940 Tape Drive: Sony SDX-500V (Internal AIT-2) Backup Software: Bru (version 16.0) The tape drive is the only SCSI device in the server What happens is, it backs up perfectly fine for a while, backup, verify, and restoring from tape works beautifly! Then all of a sudden it starts giving an error, it still backs up, just the backup never seems to finish completely: /var/log/backup.log: ....[list of fil...

iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade
If this is not the correct I apologize up front. Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken. We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550. Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. "Krazik" <Keith.Weber@converse.com> schreef in bericht news:19846af5-a053-4dda-a89b-c20b4f1ad585@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > If this is not the correct I apologize up front. > > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken. > > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550. > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration > o...

Hardwar
Hi there, I heard this is a fantastic game. I can't find it for download anywhere and it doesn't appear to be available to for purchase. Can anyone help? On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:26:55 GMT, Strider <email-address@signature.okay> wrote: >Hi there, > >I heard this is a fantastic game. I can't find it for download anywhere >and it doesn't appear to be available to for purchase. > >Can anyone help? http://zedo.hardwar.org.uk/gethardwar.htm if nothing there helps, drop me a private email (you'll have to unfudge the address yourself) and I might co...

Hardwar
Anyone out there who plays Hardwar? I know of a dedicated server, with no players yet thou.. If you play Hardwar, send a mess and join our world.. =) Van The Man I just installed this game again after buying it years ago. It beats some of the games that have just arrived!! Fantastic. Lots of support online too. Yes I just might give it ago. How do I play on line? Thanks ken "Van The Man" <vantheman@nordic-pua.net> wrote in message news:wtkTa.21232$dP1.40316@newsc.telia.net... > Anyone out there who plays Hardwar? > I know of a dedicated server, with no players yet thou.. > If you play Hardwar, send a mess and join our world.. =) > > Van The Man > > I really liked Hardwar and would be willing to play a persistant online server. My only real complaint about the game was the dynamics (or flight model) or the ships is too simplistic. However the rest of the game somewhat makes up for that. Also Hardwar has the best soundtrack of any game I've played. I ripped it to MP3 and play it with the rest of my music all the time. "ken spencer" <ken@kenspencer.co.uk> wrote in message news:bfph71$gtm$1@titan.btinternet.com... > I just installed this game again after buying it years ago. It beats some of > the games that have just arrived!! Fantastic. Lots of support online too. > > Yes I just might give it ago. How do I play on line? > > Thanks > > ken ...

Linux crapware: 1 in 5 boots fails, WinXP boots 100% of time on same hardware
"I've started to have problems with my Intrepid installation. The system had been stable for quite a while up until recently. The problem is when I power-on the system, sometimes the monitor goes black, the Num Loc and Caps keyboard keys blink and nothing else works. I have to recycle power and reboot again to recover. I keep my software up to date, so one of the updates may be the problem but I have no way of knowing which one. This happens about 20% of the time I turn the system on. I don't think it's hardware as Windows XP boots fine all the time. What can I look at...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

How to communicate with an scsi tape drive while no tape is in under linux?
Hi, My program needs to check whether a scsi tape drive has a tape in it. I tried both sg and st drivers. They can't open the tape drive when no tape is in. However, the system has a command mt that can still work with the drive without a tape. How does it communicate with it? Besides, where can I find source code for mt? Thanks, Brian "Brian" <sunnysky@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:1162497409.777985.327270@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > My program needs to check whether a scsi tape drive has a tape in it. > I tried both sg and st driv...

[News] More Embedded Linux and Linux-adjunct Hardware

Web resources about - How to enable hardware compression on Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive? - comp.os.linux.hardware

Compression (physical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Physical compression is the result of the subjection of a material or structure to compressive stress , which results in reduction of volume ...

VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.4 Standard: DisplayPort Adds Compression & HDR
One of the more interesting aspects of the DisplayPort standards is how the VESA has the separate but strongly intertwined DisplayPort and Embedded ...

Reduce data usage, turn on data compression in Chrome – Android customization
The web browser can be a major data user on our devices, this Android customization post will show you how to turn on data compression in Chrome, ...

Opera Max Now Supports Data Compression For Netflix And YouTube Video
Opera Max has been out for a while, and it's been helpful to those who find themselves running low on data each billing cycle. This app uses ...

Google launches Brotli, a new open source compression algorithm to speed up the web
As websites and online services become ever more demanding, the need for compression increases exponentially. Fans of Silicon Valley will be ...

China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network
China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network Cellular News China Mobile, along with Huawei and Qualcomm announced ...

Opera Mini browser for Android gets new data compression tech
The latest version for the mobile browser adds a new High compression mode that minimises data expenditure without affecting the page display. ...

Google to boost compression performance in Chrome 49
Google yesterday announced that a new in-house compression algorithm, dubbed "Brotli," will soon be added to Chrome to speed up page loading ...

Netflix’s New Video Compression Strategy
Don Melton: The tl;dr of it all is simply that Netflix plans on scaling bitrates up and down based on the complexity of their video. So, slightly ...

Opera Mini's built-in video compression finally hits Android
More than a year after hitting iOS, Opera is finally bringing its innovative video compression feature to its Android browser, Opera Mini. You'll ...