Intel i915G/i945G integrated graphics OpenGL performance (Quake 3 et al)

comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Johannes Truschnigg wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm looking for performance-figures of Intel's integrated graphics
> solutions for desktop products, currently branded "Intel® Graphics
> Media Accelerator 950".

You do realise that is a misnomer. Intel ingrated graphics are only
good/designed for 2D office-style apps. If you want to play games buy
something non-integrated.

> If I got things right, there are 100% free
> drivers with DRI and hardware-accelerated GLX available,

It looks like you're right, but I wouldn't expect much from the
proprietary drivers :-(  NB did you see that the driver will only work
with very specific versions of Suse?
0
ithinkiam (732)
4/3/2006 8:56:54 AM
Johannes Truschnigg wrote:
>>> I'm looking for performance-figures of Intel's integrated graphics
>>> solutions for desktop products, currently branded "Intel® Graphics
>>> Media Accelerator 950".

> Look, I'm just about to figure out if I could theroretically bear with
> the adapter's performance to play an hour or two of Quake 3 a week. I
> know there are graphics cards out there with much more horsepower in
> their chips (in fact, I own quite a few of them), but that was NOT what
> I was asking for. I'm well aware of that fact - nevertheless, I'd like
> to see some real world benchmarks of Intel's babies.

That's OK then. As long as you know what to expect ;-) It wasn't clear
from your OP...

>>> If I got things right, there are 100% free
>>> drivers with DRI and hardware-accelerated GLX available,
>> It looks like you're right, but I wouldn't expect much from the
>> proprietary drivers :-(  NB did you see that the driver will only
>> work with very specific versions of Suse?
>
> The Intel DRI/GLX-infrastructure has been incorporated into the
> vanilla-kernel long ago.

Surely, you mean x.org/XFree86? Video drivers are loaded as modules not
in the kernel.

> There's hardly ever such a thing as a
> distribution-specific driver.

There is when a binary is built for a specific kernel from a specific
distro. See the link below.

> For Intel Graphics adapters, there are no
> drivers BUT the really free (as in freedom) ones available; I can't
> quite figure what proprietary ones you're talking about?

This one:
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/9722/ENG/relnotes.htm

0
ithinkiam (732)
4/3/2006 11:00:11 AM
Chris wrote:
> Johannes Truschnigg wrote:
>>
>>The Intel DRI/GLX-infrastructure has been incorporated into the
>>vanilla-kernel long ago.
>

> Surely, you mean x.org/XFree86? Video drivers are loaded as modules not
> in the kernel.

DRI support requires a kernel module in addition to the X support.  I'm
most familiar with ATI cards, which can use the opensource 'radeon.ko'
kernel module or ATI's proprietary 'fglrx.ko' kernel module.  Check the
output of 'lsmod' and 'dmesg' on any DRI-enabled box, and you'll see
that kernel support is indeed there.
0
jpstewart (2598)
4/3/2006 2:59:33 PM

Datum:  I get about 24 FPS playing Tuxracer^WPlanet Penguin Racer on a
low-end laptop with a 915 series video chipset (Acer Aspire 1642; 915GM,
if I remember correctly).

glxgears runs about twice as fast with the hardware acceleration as
without on an otherwise unloaded system.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies                             dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Odd, that. My programs don't tend to make my computer systems fall over.
                                     --Richard Heathfield in comp.lang.c
0
dj3vande (669)

[News] OpenGL 3 Comes to Mesa in Linux Graphics Stack

Intel Supports OpenGL ES 3.0 On Linux Before Windows
<http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/02/13/1756208/intel-supports-opengl-es-30-on-linux-before-windows> <quote> "The Khronos Group has published the first products that are officially conformant to OpenGL ES 3.0. On that list is the Intel Ivy Bridge processors with integrated graphics, which support OpenGL ES 3.0 on open-source Linux Mesa. This is the best timing yet for Intel's open-source team to support a new OpenGL standard — the standard is just six months old whereas it took years for them to support OpenGL ES 2.0. There's also no OpenGL ES 3.0 Intel Windows driver yet that's conformant. Intel also had a faster turn-around time than NVIDIA and AMD with the only other hardware on the list being Qualcomm and PowerVR hardware. OpenGL ES 3.0 works with Intel Ivy Bridge when using the Linux 3.6 kernel and the soon-to-be-out Mesa 9.1." </quote> -- The god excuse, the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. -George Carlin "Crabbit Bampot" <crabbit.bampot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fKRSs.5318$DN.1952@fe26.iad... > <http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/02/13/1756208/intel-supports-opengl-es-30-on-linux-before-windows> > > <quote> > "The Khronos Group has published the first products that are > officially conformant to OpenGL ES 3.0. On that list is the Intel Ivy > Bridge processors with integrated graphics, which support OpenGL ES > 3.0 ...

Learning HP-UX at home, hardware, OS et al..
Having worked with mainly Linux for almost 10 years, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Irix and Solaris X86 somewhat less, I'm getting interested in HP-UX. At work, we resently aquired a zx2600 (I posted about it resently), but I had to install it with Centos, due to SW build needs. I may be able to use it in-between, but only infrequently. I don't have much knowledge about HP-UX, same goes WRT HP hardware. What would be a not too expensive setup for me? Hardware may be aquired at a fair price, but what about HP-UX? If I locate a system complete with software, can I assume ownership, and access to...

High-performance 2D vector graphics library for Linux and OS X
Smoke is a 2D vector graphics library that renders efficiently using OpenGL and isotropic multiresolution techniques: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/smoke_vector_graphics/ This library is a perfect foundation for cross-platform graphing, charting, GUI and visualization applications. -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy The OCaml Journal http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?usenet On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:45:10 +0100) it happened Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in <4679852b$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.n...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 10:52 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86D@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: >=20 > > for that matter. However, I know of two major Customers=20 > that wanted to > > convert OpenVMS applica...

IO performance question: g++-3.3.1 vs Intel on cygwin
Hello, Is it a known issue that an executable which only makes IO is 10 times slower when compiled with g++ than with the Intel compiler? The application reads 10,000 doubles from std::cin and writes them to std::cout. I use the g++-3.3.1, compiled with -O3 -DNDEBUG under cygwin/Win2000 Thanks in advance, andreas [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:29:25 -0500, Andreas.Fabri@geometryfactory.com wrote: > Hello, > > Is it a known issue that an executable ...

Binaries for IBM P630-3 ppc64 OS Linux RedHat Enterprise AS release 3
Hi, From where can be downloaded the binaries of tcl/tk8.4.x, iwidgets3.3,itcl3.3, itk3.3 for upper OS? it is the same as for AIX? Thanks and good weekend -- Vaclav Snajdr ...

[News] Intel's Graphics Driver for Linux Imporved, Windows Games Run in Linux
new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver ,----[ Quote ] | The aim of the new 'xvmc' branch is to deprecate origin | 'xvmc-i915' branch with lot of cleanups and new framework | inside driver to add supports for more hardware media decode | drivers in future. It also has changes that affect users. `---- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-December/031496.html How to run games on Linux (sweet links) ,----[ Quote ] | The most important thing that make youngsters so attached to Windows and | reject Linux distributions is running games. | | [...] | | Frank&...

Hardware questions.. AMD vs intel for graphics..and new intel 'atomic chip'
Someone on this NG posted a year ago that the AMD chip was a lot more vector graphics friendly than intel..but that intel was fine for photo's but not as good as AMD for engineering graphics... intel was said to be 300% slower for graphics than AMD...ive since seen that detailed in a magazine article. I have a 2 year old compac laptop, AMD chip ATI graphics card (not a good card I understand)... its plenty fast rendering items like pumps and steel frames though... it does take a long time to load and process an animation such as a cam shaft operating some poppet valves and springs in rendered presentation mode. it has a 4 to 5 hour battery run time with the fat battery installed.. Id like it to be a lot longer so when Im on my boat i dont have to run the generator as much. New laptops Im told should get 60 hours run time on the battery shortly. that would be a hot set up if the intel chip and AMD run cad the same and the graphics card is the only issue, A seimens guy offering a deal on Dell laptops told me it was not the chip that counted it was the graphics card..and that is what i needed to pay attention to... not the difference between an AMD and intel CPU. anyone have experience with these issues? any comments on intels new 'atomic' cpu? Phil scott comments? Phil scott On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:15:35 -0700 (PDT), phil scott <phil@philscott.net> wrote: >A seimens guy offering a deal on Dell laptops told me it was not the ...

[News] Linux Gets OpenGL 3.0 Support, USB 3.0 Support (GPL)

Performance of NFS much lower on Linux kernel 2.6.17 then on Linux kernel 2.6.3?
Maybe somebody can help me with this problem: I export several directories from a Novell server and mount them on a Linux machine to have some remote backup and storage facilities. A few years back I have installed a Mandrake 10.0 box with kernel 2.6.3 and after some tinkering the NFS performance was about 3.5 MByte/s on a 100 Mbps full duplex interface card. The FTP performance to and from that same Mandrake box was about 7 MByte/s. This year I upgraded my hardware and I installed Mandriva 2006 using kernel 2.12.12 on the Linux machine. Using exactly the same mount options I get...

std::numeric_limits<double>::infinity() returns 0.0 on Intel/Linux g++ 3.2.3

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] -new !
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] -new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, On 29 Nov 2003 04:26:12 -0800, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr (TEL) wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot .... what??? is 'Red Hot' [sic] a new distro? .. -- /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\ \\\ and author: "...

[...]

Erasing OS 10.3.2 and reinstalling OS 10.3?
I am selling my computer and wish to erase OS 10.3.2 and reinstall with my original install discs (OS 10.3). It won't let me because I will be installing an older version of the OS. How do I accomplish this? In article <6cb73e4.0401091855.6a5c961a@posting.google.com>, nlevine@yahoo.com (;norm) wrote: > I am selling my computer and wish to erase OS 10.3.2 and reinstall > with my original install discs (OS 10.3). It won't let me because I > will be installing an older version of the OS. How do I accomplish > this? In the installer screen in which you'd select yo...

Introducing the 3.3 and 3.4 Linux kernels
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-33linuxkernel/index.html?ca=drs-> <quote> Review the latest Linux kernel and its features for Google Android, Open vSwitch, networking, and more Summary: In March 2012, version 3.3 of the Linux kernel was released (followed in by version 3.4 in May). In addition to a plethora of small features and bug fixes, several important changes have arrived with these releases, including the merging of the Google Android project; merging of the Open vSwitch; several networking improvements (including the teaming network device); and a variety of file system, memory management, and virtualization updates. Explore many of the important changes in versions 3.3 and 3.4, and have a peek at what's ahead in 3.5. </quote> -- Since it is no longer permissible to disparage any single faith or creed, let us start disparaging all of them. A religion is a belief system with no basis in reality whatever. Religious belief is without reason and without dignity, and its record is near-universally dreadful. -Martin Amis On 6/19/12 8:22 AM, in article 3P0Er.295500$7A3.210703@news.usenetserver.com, "Hardon" <hardon.quirk@gmail.com> wrote: > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-33linuxkernel/index.html?ca > =drs-> > > <quote> > Review the latest Linux kernel and its features for Google Android, > Open vSwitch, networking, and more > ...

[News] Linux Integrates with More New Hardware

[News] OpenGL 3.3 & OpenGL 4.0 Are Out, Looking Good

Intel embedded graphics driver for Linux
Last Saturday I switched my Slackware box, a Dell Dimension 2300, over to Debian. It didn't recognize the Intel 845G graphics chips even when I specified the i810 drivers and I had to download and install the Intel Embedded Graphics Driver 4.2 to get it working. I missed one part of a step because I couldn't understand it: "Once copying the required port drivers, specify them in "PortDrivers" option in the Device section of config file. For more information, look for option "PortDrivers" in the man page." I've scoured both the XF86Config-4...

[News] ArtistX (Linux) Debuts; Damn Small Linux 3.3 Released
Welcome to ArtistX - version 0.3 Just Released ,----[ Quote ] | ArtistX is a live DVD which turns a computer into a full | multimedia production studio. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux | and contains nearly all the available free audio, 2D and 3D | graphics, and video software for the GNU/Linux computing platform. | It doesn't need to be installed, and boots directly into a running | system without touching hard drives. The files produced with ArtistX | can be easily stored on USB devices or CD/DVD medium while it is | running. `---- http://artistx.org/ DSL [Damn Small Linux] v3.3 is no...

Web resources about - Intel i915G/i945G integrated graphics OpenGL performance (Quake 3 et al) - comp.os.linux.hardware

Julie Stevanja of Stylerunner is speaking at PERFORMANCE INSIGHTS in Sydney this week
Data will be what gives businesses the edge in the 21st century. No aspect of business will be untouched, from decision-making and corporate ...

From Performance Art to Conflict Journalism
... herself more than once, evolving from art student to artist’s model to performer and impresario of a kind of underground bohemian performance-art ...

Yahoo!: Starboard Pushes to Remove the Board, Calling Performance ‘Atrocious’
Shares of Yahoo! ( YHOO ) are unchanged in early trading at $34.80, after activist investors Starboard LP , which owns 1.7% of the shares outstanding ...

Real-world performance test proves U.S. version of Galaxy S7 is slower
... its own silicon for the new Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge than the chip from its San Diego, California-based partner. A new real-world performance ...

Parquet Courts share "Outside" from 'Human Performance' ++ a promotional newspaper box in Bushwick
Parquet Courts have shared "Outside" from their forthcoming album Human Performance. It's the shortest song on the album (an economical 1:47) ...

Lupita Nyong'o’s 'Star Wars' character may have been CGI, but people don't realize just how much work ...
Taking a cue from the original "Star Wars" trilogy, "The Force Awakens" relied mostly on practical effects — except for Lupita Nyong'o's character, ...

Utility-Scale PV Projects: First US Statistical Performance Analysis
... photovoltaic operating projects whose empirical AC capacity factors differ by more than a factor of two, however. Understanding the performance ...

Meet the iPhone SE, which packs iPhone 6S performance in a 4-inch body
... it, has an A9 chip and M9 coprocessor, which means it has double the speed of a 5S and is three times faster when it comes to graphics performance. ...

Dark Souls III on Xbox One has already been put through the performance paces
... a little early, meaning that initial impressions are already surfacing. Digital Foundry, many people's go-to resource on video game performance, ...