Linux & Canon LBP1210 printer

Hello,

I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said
printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I
have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to
fire.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated.

thanks,
Michael Boswell.

0
bozi (1)
7/24/2003 9:57:12 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Michael Boswell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said
> printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I
> have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to
> fire.
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Michael Boswell.
Check www.linuxprinting.org. That model is not mentioned, the LBP1260 is.

jef
--
perl -e '$email="jef.peeraer\@deadspam.com";
$email =~ s/deadspam\.com/pandora\.be/;print "$email\n"'
"Michael Boswell" <bozi@bigfoot.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I guess I'm the usual ignorant Linux user but I've just purchased the said
> printer and unfortuneately, Mandrake 9.1 doesn't know a thing about it. I
> have tried using several ''close'' matches but my laser printer refuses to
> fire.
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Anything is much appreciated.

Unless Canon releases a driver for that model, or someone writes one to
speak Canon's proprietary printer language, you're likely stuck.

One of the first things on my personal printer shopping list is that it have
a postscript language built in.  Without it, I keep shopping.

JW

0
westy528 (115)

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers
http://www.linux-drivers.org/ ...

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

linux & canon pixma ip3000 printer
My hp deskjet 920c broke during printjob (second hp printer with lifespan of less then 2 yrs) and i would like to buy a new color inktjet printer and preferbaly not HP, the inktcartridges cost to much too. The Canon Pixma IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work very good with winxp, but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3) and i would like to use the printer with linux as well. If i can't print photos or cd-roms with linux thats ok, but i would very much like to print colored text and agenda (from korganizer) and the likes. The information about canon printers and linux in general and the ip3000 more specifically doesnt look very promising. Does anyone use an IP3000 with linux ? Or what other printer can you suggest to me ? thanx, Pugi! On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:45:36 +0100, Pugi! wrote: > My hp deskjet 920c broke during printjob (second hp printer with lifespan of > less then 2 yrs) and i would like to buy a new color inktjet printer and > preferbaly not HP, the inktcartridges cost to much too. The Canon Pixma > IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work very good with winxp, > but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3) and i would like to use the > printer with linux as well. If i can't print photos or cd-roms with linux > thats ok, but i would very much like to print colored text and agenda (from > korganizer) and the likes. > The information about canon printers and linux in gene...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

[News] More Embedded Linux and Linux-adjunct Hardware

Call for Faults of Linux & Linux Distributions
I hope to solicit some complaints -- legitimate ones only, please -- regarding Linux. There are a few, most of them rather technical, that I have personally, in no particular order. [1] Raw X seems to have problems with Unicode fonts. Cairo and Pango are workarounds to this problem, and they work reasonably well (especially since Cairo is now an integral part of GTK/Gnome, apparently), but if one attempts things like Xutf8DrawImageString(dpy, drawable, fontSet, gc, x, y, "\xcf\x80", 2) (which should draw the character pi) I mostly get odd output. Obviously I may need to dig deeper into the Cairo source code, and such things as setlocale(). It's a head-scratcher. (The good news: Cairo and X work very well together, and I've now coded a pseudo-widget set which I will ultimately code into a replacement newsreader. It's crude but should serve my needs; I don't need lots of fancy GUI buttons, just something that emulates the bits I use in SLRN (I don't need everything) and can fire off vi as a subeditor.) [2] I'm not sure Linux handles video switchover very well; this might be part driver problem, part not quite getting it right. In other words, under certain conditions I can get the video card darned messed up, visually. (This is mostly a problem on ATi, the few times I've tried it. My nVidia unit doesn't seem to have this problem.) Also, I'm even less sure that X on Linux handles multiple servers well, when there is insuffi...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from > Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. > Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would > like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Posting once is probably enough... There is a v2linux package by MontaVista. Googling v2linux currently turns up, "http://legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html". This is also useful if you develop/host vxWorks on a *nix machine. Instead of using the simulator, you can compile a native application using this compatibility layer. Not sure so much about going from Linux to vxWorks. There is a lot of functionality available in the bigger OSs that is not available in vxWorks. For instance, "fork", "pthreads", "mmap", etc. Genearally, you can steal routines from Linux (like libraries), but it is difficult to take an application. fwiw, Bill Pringlemeir. -- My kid had sex with your honor student. - Bumper Sticker vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html" Hi, For porting there are 3 approaches which are common in the industry. 1)Build an abstraction layer abo...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS were ever to grind to a halt. Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the possibilities would be even greater. Do others consider it would have been desirable? -- Jess Iyonix contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Hotmail is my spam trap - don't email valid - mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on > other platforms. > These starting points might help. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/ http://rox.sourceforg...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind News search site ,----[ Quote ] | All along, Google has defended News saying that it is protected by | the fair use principle -- because it only reproduces headlines, text | snippets and thumbnail images -- and that it provides great benefit | to media Web sites by sending them readers. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;535941450;fp;;fpid;;pf;1 ...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

High-Energy Linux: Linux & the Large Hadron Collider
<Quote> The biggest, most powerful atom smasher the world has ever seen, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), with its 17-mile underground loop and TeVs (Teraelectronvolts) of proton beams, is finally up and running, with Linux in control... That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). This distribution's name says it all. Scientific Linux is meant for use by large research labs such as CERN and the U.S.'s equivalent high- energy physics group, Fermilab. Its main goal is to allow scientists to easily customize it by using scripts and Red Hat/Fedora's Anaconda installer. This lets every lab create its own custom distributions with minimal effort while retaining compatibility with the base distribution. With the LHC, CERN will be using it to manage both the systems themselves and to make sense of the 15 petabytes -- that's 15 million gigabytes -- of data the LHC is expected to generate every year. Fortunately, Linux is great at super-computing. CERN is also using Scientific Linux to run its LCG (LHC Computing Grid). The LHC isn't the fastest computer in the world, but it may set the record for being the biggest computer the world has ever seen, since it's made up of more than 100,000 processors from over 170 sites in 34 countries. There are bigger distributed grid computing efforts, such as the search for extra-terrestrial life SETI@...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)
Posted on Ebay, item# 330331170291. Goto www.ebay.com & enter this item# 330331170291 into search window (or item# window); BUY NOW OPTION is AVAILABLE, i.e. NO need to wait for Auction ending. Do NOT reply on Newsgroups (I just posted here, but may not read) - instead contact via Ebay (best) or Email; if you insist on emailing and see "NOJUNK" strings in my address (or something to that effect) - REMOVE THEM before hitting send! (these are sometimes added to prevent SPAM, i.e. people who "harvest" addresses off Newsgroups). My Ebay feedback is 100% positive, not to mention 13 YEARS of Newsgroups trading without complains, and it's best to deal via Ebay though will respond to regular email also. Please read description there, but a few facts are copied here: 1) NEW (sealed) Canon cartridges for their portable printers: BJC50/55/70/80/85/30 & other CANON. GENUINE CANON (made in Japan, from CompUSA before it went out of business here). Not fakes which dry out before expiration or damage/ spill into printers - I tried one of generics some years ago, and the money I thought would save, were wasted as they were discovered to be dry (unusable) prior to expiration. I am not one of those people "attached" to specific brands, but learned a hard lesson with inkjet cartridges, unlike Laser toners which are OK even if generic. 2) Plus free BJC-series printers LiIon (lithium-Ion) battery, part# LB50 I don't...

Web resources about - Linux & Canon LBP1210 printer - comp.os.linux.hardware