printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick
0
romulus (1)
2/8/2008 4:55:14 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2008-02-08, Dick Gray <romulus@mesa.net> wrote:

> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
> printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

Try www.linuxprinting.org, but Canon is notoriously bad for Linux
drivers.
0
marcumbill (1024)
2/8/2008 7:42:28 AM
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
> printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time, I'd
recommend you try Epson or HP.
0
ray65 (5421)
2/8/2008 4:34:18 PM
ray <ray@zianet.com> writes:

 >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

 >> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
 >> printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

 >Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time, I'd
 >recommend you try Epson or HP.

My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.

Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
error.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | 	  ||||      We sure       ||||    <>
<>    bgeer@xmission.com     | 	==    ==    find it     ==    ==  <>
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:09:11 +0000, bgeer wrote:

> ray <ray@zianet.com> writes:
>
>  >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:
>
>  >> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460
>  >> multifunction printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick
>
>  >Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time,
>  >I'd recommend you try Epson or HP.
>
> My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
>
> Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
> error.

I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze to
set up.

0
ray65 (5421)

There is the commercial turboprint driver (http://www.turboprint.info/)
On 2008-02-08, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

>> My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
>>
>> Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
>> error.
>
> I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
> easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze to
> set up.

If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the Windows
driver.

Douglas Adams
0
skunkworks (94)
2/8/2008 8:59:02 PM
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:59:02 +0100, Rikishi 42 wrote:

> On 2008-02-08, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>> My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
>>>
>>> Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
>>> error.
>>
>> I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
>> easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze
>> to set up.
>
> If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the
> Windows driver.

True PostScript printers are quite rare any more and have always been
expensive. If you have one which runs PS as an emulation layer, it will
be significantly faster using the native language - which is often PCL.
0
ray65 (5421)
2/9/2008 1:40:34 AM
On 2008-02-09, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

>>> I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
>>> easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze
>>> to set up.
>>
>> If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the
>> Windows driver.
>
> True PostScript printers are quite rare any more and have always been
> expensive. If you have one which runs PS as an emulation layer, it will
> be significantly faster using the native language - which is often PCL.

Never thaought someone would have to tell me this; I've been saying that for
years. You (we) are, of course, completely right.

Douglas Adams
0
skunkworks (94)
2/9/2008 4:52:24 PM
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
> printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

Check turboprint.com.   There is both an English and a German website.
Not sure about your model, and not free but works very well with my Canon
iP8500 and produces photo quality prints.
0
joel2536 (1)
2/28/2008 4:31:35 PM
On 28 Feb, 16:31, Joel Swartz <j...@ecoparts.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:
> > I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
> > printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick
>
> Check turboprint.com.   There is both an English and a German website.
> Not sure about your model, and not free but works very well with my Canon
> iP8500 and produces photo quality prints.

I'm waiting for someone to make a "wrapper" like the ndis one for
networking, that will allow windows printer drivers to run on Linux.
0
robertharvey (286)
2/28/2008 8:20:13 PM
robertharvey@my-deja.com writes:

> I'm waiting for someone to make a "wrapper" like the ndis one for
> networking, that will allow windows printer drivers to run on Linux.

You may be waiting a while, then.  The Linux and Windows driver
interfaces for printing are radically different, so it would be quite
a challenge to implement usefully.  Meanwhile, the set of printers
that are inoperable under Linux has actually grown rather small, thus
removing whatever motivation there might have been to support Windows
printer drivers.

If there is no free driver for the OP's Canon, then it is likely to
become a paperweight even if it works now with a vendor or third party
driver.  These binary drivers, particularly those from the vendor,
have an irritating tendency to break over time.

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant

[Snip...]

> These binary drivers, particularly those from the vendor, have an
> irritating tendency to break over time.

Not to mention unknown ticking timebombs on occasion:

   http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/17/nvidia_linux_graphics_bug/

wookie5 (506)

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers
http://www.linux-drivers.org/ ...

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

Installing a Linux printer driver on OS X?
The Samsung SCX-4100 multifunction printer/scanner does not have a Mac driver. But a Linux driver does exist. The download link is here: http://tinyurl.com/bcl3n Is there any hope of getting the Linux driver working under OS X? Or is that like apples to taste like oranges? Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group In article <0001HW.BF511CCE0003058AF02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>, DaveC <me@privacy.net>...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

Tutors / study materials to quickly ramp-up Linux kernel / Linux device drivers for non-Linux embedded experts
Could some one point me any Linux tutor / study material which is written for embedded programmers those who are already familiar with RTOS, low level device driver programming skills? Thanks in advance! --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com 2014-02-04 19:19, t_palani skrev: > Could some one point me any Linux tutor / study material which is written > for embedded programmers those who are already familiar with RTOS, low > level device driver programming skills? > > Thanks in advance! > > Check the Free-Electrons website. They have a complete open source linux course. > > --------------------------------------- > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com > On 02/04/2014 07:19 PM, t_palani wrote: > Could some one point me any Linux tutor / study material which is written > for embedded programmers those who are already familiar with RTOS, low > level device driver programming skills? For free and very good: http://oreilly.com/openbook/linuxdrive3/book/ Good luck! Yours sincerely, Rene ...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] More Embedded Linux and Linux-adjunct Hardware

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS were ever to grind to a halt. Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the possibilities would be even greater. Do others consider it would have been desirable? -- Jess Iyonix contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Hotmail is my spam trap - don't email valid - mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on > other platforms. > These starting points might help. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/ http://rox.sourceforg...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

linux hardware drivers help
hello, I am trying to find drivers for various hardware for whichever Linux distro. I have been searching high and low to find drivers, but all I can find are either up to date drivers that work fully, half baked drivers that either require manual installations and tedious configurations or incompatible in places, or information on the hardware that is something like 6 years out of date and is confusing. there could be others but you get the drift. all I have found is as follows; nVidia nForce 570 SLI MCP - this controls the SATA interface and the Ethernet ports. - I cannot find much on the drivers for this. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html but may not be most recent or compatible. Supposedly recent kernels work with it out of the box according to a couple of websites that I can't find anymore. the SATA is supposedly handled by the kernel, but because of the nForce 570 controller, I do not know. PCIe interface - I haven't a clue on this, but I'm presuming that it's covered in the kernel. SoundBlaster Audigy SE - Cannot find drivers for the recent 7.1 card. Can only find information several years old for the 5.1 card. (5.1 and 7.1 is the amount of speakers). Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 - Driver built into the usbhid module. so that's covered. Radeon X1950 Pro - Driver from the AMD website. Current Catalyst driver is 8.11. Xerox XM3-19w monitor - covered by the graphics drivers. Linksys WUSB54GC - Cannot find drivers or whether it...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind News search site ,----[ Quote ] | All along, Google has defended News saying that it is protected by | the fair use principle -- because it only reproduces headlines, text | snippets and thumbnail images -- and that it provides great benefit | to media Web sites by sending them readers. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;535941450;fp;;fpid;;pf;1 ...

[News] [Linux] ATI Promises to Fix Its Linux/OSS Driver
ATI Committed To Fixing Its OSS Problems ,----[ Quote ] | Chris Blizzard blogged from the Red Hat summit that an ATI | marketing spokesman said, from the stage, that ATI knows it | has a problem with open source and is committed to fixing it. `---- http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/10/1424224&from=rss Related: ATI Has Open-Source Drivers Too ,----[ Quote ] | Being published on Saturday at Phoronix will be an article entitled | ATI Has Open-Source Drivers Too, which will go over a few things | with the workings going on for the open-source ATI Linux driver. `---- http:/...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with this command, it never returns. The same php-script *does* work on linux! Any clues? Greetings Neven ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

Web resources about - Linux Printer Driver - comp.os.linux.hardware

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This $99 device turns your phone into a 3D printer
VIDEO: It uses a special resin and the light from your screen. 3D printers can be pretty expensive, but a company called OLO has created a new ...

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This portable printer fits in your laptop bag
We live in the digital age but sometimes you have to get a little old school. Plenty of people don't even own printers anymore, or they rely ...