mount hangs while mounting USB storage device

Hello NG,

i'm using SuSe 8.1.
When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command hangs.
Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my point of view)
is to reboot linux.
Has anybody a idea how to:
- mount the iPod as a filesystem?
- kill the hanging mount command?

Regards,

Patrick

comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
> hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
> point of view) is to reboot linux.

What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
getting the iPod to work with Linux?

> Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?

modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
/proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.  You may need a special userspace program or
2 to use the iPod properly.  Google "ipod linux" for more information.
And update your kernel; the kernel that came with SuSE 8.1 is old.  The
latest stable version is 2.4.26 or 2.6.8.

> - kill the hanging mount command?

You can't.  When a process is stuck in state D, as the mount command is
here, it won't respond to any signals, not even SIGKILL.  The process is
waiting for a system call to return, and until that system call returns,
it'll be stuck in state D.  There is no way to kill a process in the
middle of a system call--this is actually a design feature.  (What
should happen when a process is in the middle of a syscall and it gets
killed?  If you find out, tell the kernel developers.)

You should look through the output of dmesg and the /var/log/messages
file for any strange-looking errors and post the relevant parts.  That
will tell us more about what's really happening when the mount command
gets stuck.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:38:27 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
>> i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
>> hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
>> point of view) is to reboot linux.
>
> What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
> you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
> getting the iPod to work with Linux?

Or has the OP reformatted ("restored") the iPod for FAT32?

>> Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?

> modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
> modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
> /proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.

Works for me.

> You may need a special userspace program or 2 to use the iPod properly.

I like gtkpod.

> Google "ipod linux" for more information.

Excellent advice.

0
3f88o9g02 (5)
10/15/2004 4:30:15 PM
Hi NG,

I upgraded now my Kernel from 2.4.19 to 2.6.8.1. Now, none of the USB
devices works anymore, but doesn't give a error message...

Any idea?

Regards
Patrick

"Dances With Crows" <danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> > i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
> > hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
> > point of view) is to reboot linux.
>
> What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
> you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
> getting the iPod to work with Linux?
>
> > Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?
>
> modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
> modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
> /proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.  You may need a special userspace program or
> 2 to use the iPod properly.  Google "ipod linux" for more information.
> And update your kernel; the kernel that came with SuSE 8.1 is old.  The
> latest stable version is 2.4.26 or 2.6.8.
>
> > - kill the hanging mount command?
>
> You can't.  When a process is stuck in state D, as the mount command is
> here, it won't respond to any signals, not even SIGKILL.  The process is
> waiting for a system call to return, and until that system call returns,
> it'll be stuck in state D.  There is no way to kill a process in the
> middle of a system call--this is actually a design feature.  (What
> should happen when a process is in the middle of a syscall and it gets
> killed?  If you find out, tell the kernel developers.)
>
> You should look through the output of dmesg and the /var/log/messages
> file for any strange-looking errors and post the relevant parts.  That
> will tell us more about what's really happening when the mount command
> gets stuck.  HTH,
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
> http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
> -----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

Cannot mount previously mounted USB HD
The USB 2.0 device is a Sabrent, 3.5 SATA/IDE Hard Drive enclosure with a 2T WD Caviar, Green, RHEL 5.3 ext3 formatted drive. - I am preparing for a reinstallation of RHEL and needed to backup my documentation so I bought a USB hard drive enclosure and placed within it a 2 terabyte, WD Caviar, Green drive. -The next morning before work I plugged in the USB drive and RHEL 5.3 did not give any indication that the drive was recognized. I did not have time to poke around and figured the drive needed to be formatted. - Knowing that my flash drive is a 2GB, NTFS formatted file system, a...

mount point has gone, device is mounted, can't umount device
Hi All, How stuffed am I? su-2.04# df -m Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12589 58% /usr/MS procfs 0 0 0 100% /proc /dev/da4s1e 1007 39 887 4% /mnt/rt su-2.04# cd /mnt/rt su: cd: /mnt/rt: Invalid argument Get same if I do mkdir /mnt/rt So How do I umount /dev/da4s1e? I cannot just reboot as I am not sure that da0 is still my boot drive, boot0cfg -v da0 boot0cfg: /dev/da0: unknown or incompatible boot code -- Mark Worsdall https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ On 2005-07-30, Mark Worsdall <freebsd@NoSpAmPlEaSe-wizdom.org.uk> wrote: > Hi All, > > How stuffed am I? > > su-2.04# df -m > Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / > /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr > /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var > /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local > /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp > /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www > /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12...

Mounting USB drive on Linux
Hey, I have a USB player which can be configured to act as a USB drive. At home I have winXP and I can access the contents of the drive easily as expected. But at office I have "Red Hat Linux 2.4.21-32.0.1". Can anyone tell me how to access the drive on the Linux machine. (please excuse, I am a newbie in linux) Thanks in Advance, Suk sukruth.p.g@gmail.com wrote: > Hey, > > I have a USB player which can be configured to act as a USB drive. At > home I have winXP and I can access the contents of the drive easily as > expected. But at office I have "Red Hat Linux 2.4.21-32.0.1". Can > anyone tell me how to access the drive on the Linux machine. > (please excuse, I am a newbie in linux) Do have root? Connect the drive. If you have no other USB, SCSI or SATA devices it will show up as /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 depending on whether it uses a partition table. Otherwise it will show up as /dev/sdb,c,d,e... Check with dmesg. Then add a line like /dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3 auto user,noauto 0 0 to the end of your /etc/fstab. Then create the mount point, /mnt/mp3 or whatever you like. If you dont have root, ask your administrator to do it. And dont forget to buy him or her a beer on friday. Then all you have to do is mount /mnt/mp3 and umount /mnt/mp3 when you connect or disconnect. Redhat probaly have some fancy automounter that does that for you. -- Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com] Linux, the choice of a GNU generation. ...

mount on the same mount point
Hello, I'm trying to mount 2 md devices (/dev/md4 and /dev/md5) on the same mount point. I have just read that it is possible. Note : MD devices are JFS. But, altough I get no error, I do not get what I expected : the second mount command makes the first mount invisible. So, my 2 questions are : 1) is it possible to mount 2 MD devices on the same mount point? 2) If yes, how? Thanks climb65 wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to mount 2 md devices (/dev/md4 and /dev/md5) on the same > mount point. I have just read that it is possible. > > Note : MD devices are ...

Q: to mount or not to mount?
Let's say a Linux system boots from a software mirror on /dev/hda and /dev/hdc and that a "/" partition and a swap partition are there. There is also a SCSI device, /dev/sda, which just happens to be a hardware RAID card with a bunch of SATA drives in external swap trays. It is one large partition mounted right off the root as /storage. Is there a way to allow the system to boot up happily with either all of the trays in or all of the trays out? I don't need to add or remove this area of the file system while the machine is running, but I would like to be able to boot...

How to mount a USB device on VxWorks
Hello All, I'm looking to write an application that's supposed to notify the user the very moment that the USB device is plugged into the system. Furthermore, I'm to add mount the device so I can copy a file onto it. Any ideas? Thanks, Rudy Hello, > I'm looking to write an application that's supposed to notify the user > the very moment that the USB device is plugged into the system. > Furthermore, I'm to add mount the device so I can copy a file onto it. > Any ideas? Well, let's see... you omitted to mention almost everything that would be needed for...

USB devices (thru' USB/Firewire card) won't mount in OS9.2.2
Anyone got any ideas/solutions? My beige G3 tower has a USB/Firewire PCI card fitted, but although the card shows up in Profiler, any USB devices attached don't show up on the desktop. Not the worst situation except that I have bought a new Edirol USB audio/MIDI interface and want to use it, but I can't. In desperation I have zeroed all data on the main hard drive and a secondary (attached on a PCI card and done a clean re-install of the system (OS9.2.2), but still nothing. The only difference to the G� being pure is that the G3 uses a Sonnet G4 1Ghz upgrade chip, tho' I can't ...

USB external storage mount problem
After using an external usb storage device on woody and sarge for a couple years, I now can no longer mount it (I recently upgraded to kernel 2.4.27-2-386 and set up usb-key mounting. The device is a Maxtor USB 2040ROM001, and I'm running debian Sarge. I've been using sdd1 interface for the device, for I have three scsi hard disks. $ mount /media/mirror mount: /dev/sdd1 is not a valid block device The fstab entry remains the same as always (same result when mounting from command line): /dev/sdd1 /media/mirror ext2 noauto,user 0 0 The sdd device file is not being used by anything else: $ mount dev/sdc1 on / type reiserfs (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) /dev/sdc5 ... usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw) To support the disk, I need the usb-storage driver: $ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ... T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 8 Spd=12 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1 P: Vendor=0d49 ProdID=3000 Rev=11.01 S: Manufacturer=Maxtor S: Product=Maxtor USB Drive S: SerialNumber=1200E000022127397 C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 2 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 98mA I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=32ms The necessary drivers are indeed loaded: ...

Mounting USB devices without vold
Hi there. We have a product that's being ported from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 10 on the SPARC platform - the new hardware will be an Ultra 25, to be specific - and are having some "growing pains" dealing with the vagaries & flexibility of USB, particularly the fact that USB volumes can be mounted on different device paths, depending on how many volumes you have. This product uses Solaris as a platform, but it's not a prominent part of the product; the users don't actually interact with the Solaris system, per se, but only through our interface. They never ...

How to chek if USB port is mounted in linux?
I want to know how to check if USB port is mounted... I programmed some sources , which run to read data-files in usb storage. And I have no input systems; no keyboard, no mouse, no touchpad screen... I want immediately to stop running my program when I disconnect USB port physically. In this point, the program is checking in every 3 seconds whether USB is mounted. If USB is connected and mounted, programs continue running and if not, they must be stoped automatically. Everything is OK but checking USB port. How can I program in C? Please show me the sources in C... Thanks with God! ...

Mounting a USB device within a script
I'm writing a simple backup script using rsync and running into a bit of problem. The basic idea is pretty simple: --------------------------------------------------- mount /usb rsync -av --modify-window=1 mydoc /usb/mydoc umount /usb --------------------------------------------------- which works fine when each command is issued at the prompt exactly as above. However, if I put these into a shell script and execute it, for some reason all the files on the drives are of zero size and the file/directory structure is not copied recursively as well. I've pretty much narrowed down the...

Mounting USB-to-Flash Devices at Boot
Hello everyone. I've got a Linux (Fedora) platform that boots up in runlevel 3 to accommodate remote SSH logins only. There is no monitor or keyboard connected to this Fedora platform although it is physically located near the user(s). I want a user to have the option to plug-in either a thumb drive or a USB-to-CompactFlash adapter prior to power-up and have the device mounted following boot completion. The adapter isn't required all the time and I don't want the user to have to modify /etc/fstab or manually mount the device from the command line (remote users aren't allowed root privilege). Now, Linux platforms will often stall during boot if a device entry in fstab can't be located (i.e. the adapter hasn't been plugged in to a USB port). So I tried putting this line in /etc/rc.local instead: mount -t vfat -o gid=501,uid=501 /dev/sdb1 /media/Flash This mounts the previously plugged in USB device at boot time with the desired ownership and permissions. The Linux platform also seems to boot up OK when the sdb device is absent, which is also an objective. Any comments or (more reliable?) alternatives would most certainly be welcome. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely, -- J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com On Thursday, January 3rd, 2013, at 10:03:29h -0500, J.B. Wood explained: > So I tried putting this line in /etc/rc.local instead: > > mount -t vfat -o gid=5...

Mount hardware to specific location with specified device
My subject probably doesn't make any sense but I wasn't sure how to word it. I have 2 external USB 2.0 / Firewire hard-drives and an iPod. I only turn them on when I need them. The problem I'm running into is that whichever is the first device to be turned on gets assigned to /dev/sda. The next device gets /dev/sdb and so on. I need to assign each piece of hardware it's own device so that my programs know where to find the correct hardware. For example, when I turn on my iPod I want it to get /dev/sdc even if I don't have my hard-drives on. And if I turn on my "2nd&q...

Boot linux off a USB mass storage device? How?
What do I need to create a USB mass storage device (USB flash drive, external HD, card reader, etc...) that can be used to boot linux? I followed the Ubuntu howto which mentioned installing the syslinux bootloader on a USB flash drive and then copying the Ubuntu install CD ISO to it. Nonetheless, when I try to boot from it I only get the bootloader prompting for a kernel. So, what steps are needed to be able to boot from a USB mass storage device? Thanks in advance, Rui Maciel On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 06:49:29 -0700, Rui Maciel wrote: > What do I need to create a USB mass storage device (US...

How to mount OTG Device in Linux 2.6
Hi guys, I've worked for implementing OTG features in Intel PXA27x environment with ISP1301. So, I've modified pxa27x_udc.c,pxa27x_ohci.c, and isp1301_omap.c. And now, these drivers are intialized at boot-up time and working together. But, I have no idea how to enable Linux to detect OTG device especially mounting the device. Could I mount the OTG device same to USB device like "mount /dev/sda1 mnt/usb" ? If u have some ideas, please give some hints to me. ...

linux submountd: mount failure, No such device or address
Okay. Hello everyone. I get an error in /var/log/messages/ while trying to mount a cdrom that says: linux submountd: mount failure, No such device or address Sep 3 23:00:58 linux kernel: subfs: unsuccessful attempt to mount media (256) I cannot access floppies,cdrom,cdrecorders, only linux mounts. I have done this many times on the same machine using suse 8.1. :P What I like to know is if the problem is a replacable module, if so what is that module? It's also a fresh install, meaning I've never gotten it to work on this install. Thanks a bunch, John ...

mount usb storage automatically in RHEL 4
When I plug in usb storage devices, a mount point is automatically created under /media/usbdisk, but I have to use the mount command to access the device. How can I set it up to automatically mount and umount multiple devices? It is important that I am able to do this using only the packages available with the official RHEL 4 software. Well I found this link that has a way to mount your usb device when pluged in and when you unplug it. http://floatingsun.net/articles/howtos/howto-usb-automount.html There doesn't appear to be any additional packages needed just a custom shell script. I ...

Problem mounting a Linux share in OS X
I have two computers, one is a Mac running OS X 1.2, and the other is a PC running Red Hat Linux 9.0. I'm trying to get my Mac to be able to mount shares on my PC. smbd is running. Under the Samba Server Coniguration, I created a Windows user called "TIMUR", and I'm trying to get it to mount /home/timur. The Mac can see the PC when I go to "Connect to Server", but it insists on mounting /root instead of /home/timur. When I try to mount, I get back an error -5023. What am I missing? Timur Tabi typed: > smbd is running. Under the Samba Server Coniguration, I created a > Windows user called "TIMUR", and I'm trying to get it to mount > /home/timur. what do you mean by 'under the samba server coniguration'? what have you done exactly? you should be adding a regular user to your linux box with 'useradd' or by using one of the user GUI tools in redhat. i'm not sure what samba server configuration tool allows you to create windows users? after adding a user to your linux box (the regular way), then you need to run the 'smbpasswd name-of-user' command for that user to give him a password. > The Mac can see the PC when I go to "Connect to Server", but it > insists on mounting /root instead of /home/timur. When I try to > mount, I get back an error -5023. > > What am I missing? from the Mac - when you 'connect-to-server'. in the address bar of the dialog box t...

Accessing USB mass storage devices hangs sometimes
Hello, I have two USB mass storage devices: a memory stick and a external hard drive. Both devices are USB 2.0. The problem: copying files to or from the devices sometimes hangs, i.e. the "copy" command just sits there and stops after some bytes have been copied. This happens with the hard drive quite frequently, making it unusable. With the memory stick this has happened just once so far. I wrote a test program which reads or writes sectors to the external hard drive (using DevIOCtl). It always blocks after some hundret sectors inside the DevIOCtl call. Since it ha...

how to mount linux partition in OS X via samba
Hi, i'm trying to mount my linux hd in my OSX system without results, i'm using redhat 9 i setup the samba server via GUI, and assign a user, but when i try to mount it in OSX via samba , i can't see it in the window, and i type smb//192.168.3.1/home/user it shows me the window asking for workgroup, user, and password, i type them but i can't login, send me error = 36 It shows up in winxp, but when i try to mount it send error too, about not enough privileges, i put the ip of both machines in the line of hosts allowed, in smb.conf, what am i doing wrong?, or how's the right way?, thanks in advance On 26 Jan 2004 20:44:14 -0800, elduran (elduran@hotmail.com) wrote: > Hi, i'm trying to mount my linux hd in my OSX system without results, > i'm using redhat 9 i setup the samba server via GUI, and assign a > user, but when i try to mount it in OSX via samba , i can't see it in > the window, and i type smb//192.168.3.1/home/user it shows me the > window asking for workgroup, user, and password, i type them but i > can't login, send me error = 36 I don't know anything about WinXP, but here's how I mount my Samba exported home directory. smb://ip_address/user (i.e. you don't need /home/user) I can also reach it as smb://MATABELELAND/user (see below) I didn't configure my Samba server with any GUI tool, but here's the relevant sections of my smb.conf on the Linux box. [global] workgroup = WINSL...

NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.
I'm trying to get an NFS share to mount at boot time, but it won't. However, mount -a works just fine. I've tried playing with the retry= option with no luck. nsswitch.conf is hosts: files dns, and I have an entry for the host in /etc/hosts. The client machine is SUSE 8 (2.4 kernel), the server is SUSE 9 (2.6 kernel). My fstab entry looks like this: storage01:/array/ /home/array nfs rw,auto,sync Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks, Brian On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:03:55 +0000, BT wrote: > I'm trying to get an NFS share to mount at boot time, but it won't. > However, mount -a works just fine. I've tried playing with the retry= > option with no luck. nsswitch.conf is hosts: files dns, and I have an > entry for the host in /etc/hosts. The client machine is SUSE 8 (2.4 > kernel), the server is SUSE 9 (2.6 kernel). My fstab entry looks like > this: > > storage01:/array/ /home/array nfs rw,auto,sync > > Does anyone have any ideas on this? chkconfig nfs on. Regards, Ian Thanks a lot, that worked. I wasn't familiar with that one. Thanks, Brian "Ian Northeast" <ian@house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:pan.2004.09.23.20.10.36.673222@house-from-hell.demon.co.uk... > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:03:55 +0000, BT wrote: > > > I'm trying to get an NFS share to mount at boot time, but it won't. > > However, mount -a works just fine. I've trie...

Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X
Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X I would like to mount an external USB disk formatted with NTFS on my OS X 10.4.9 powerbook Disk Utility sees the drive but doesnt recognise its format On May 3, 9:14 am, pokhara <sam1967pay...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X > > I would like to mount an external USB disk formatted with NTFS on my > OS X 10.4.9 powerbook > > Disk Utility sees the drive but doesnt recognise its format let me clarify its an IDE disk I am trying to mount via my USB port disk utility sees it but doesnt recognise the format and gives me the option to erase it. In article <1178180095.508585.58690@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, pokhara <sam1967paypal@googlemail.com> wrote: > Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X > > I would like to mount an external USB disk formatted with NTFS on my > OS X 10.4.9 powerbook > > Disk Utility sees the drive but doesnt recognise its format Disk Utility can't create a NTFS filesystem. You'll have to create that on the PC. MacOS X can only _read_ NTFS, not write it. Go with FAT32 instead. -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... On May 3, 10:15 am, Michael Vilain <vil...@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article <1178180095.508585.58...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, > > pokhara <sam1967pay...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > Mountin...

mount device?
I have a drive connected to my router. The router shows in 'shared' in the finder. When I click on it it shows my the drive that is connected to the router. When I click on that it mounts the drive and I can read/write data there. How can I 'mount' that device from the terminal bash shell? As it is not always mounted. On Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:03:53 PM UTC-6, SpreadTooThin wrote: > I have a drive connected to my router. > The router shows in 'shared' in the finder. > When I click on it it shows my the drive that is connected to the router. > When I cl...

Mounting USB devices (Camera, Flash drive, MP3 player)
Hi I'm using BSD 6.1. By using dmesg and some trial and error, I'm able to mount and access my Kodak Digital Camera, RIO MP3 player and my 256MB Flash drive. For a newbie like me, this is very cool! I also use KDE 3.5.1 and would like to create hardware links on my desktop so I can more easily mount and unmount these USB devices. Here's the challenge; USB is a dynamic interface so there's no way to know which device will be used for which device. With everything connected by Flash drive may come up as da1, but if I remove the MP3 player, the flash drive may load as da0. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mark Sometime on Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:24:42 +0000, Mark Hummel scribbled: > I'm using BSD 6.1. By using dmesg and some trial and error, I'm able to > mount and access my Kodak Digital Camera, RIO MP3 player and my 256MB Flash > drive. For a newbie like me, this is very cool! > > I also use KDE 3.5.1 and would like to create hardware links on my desktop > so I can more easily mount and unmount these USB devices. Here's the > challenge; USB is a dynamic interface so there's no way to know which > device will be used for which device. With everything connected by Flash > drive may come up as da1, but if I remove the MP3 player, the flash drive > may load as da0. > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On 5.4 I have this in /etc/devfs.rules ...

Web resources about - mount hangs while mounting USB storage device - comp.os.linux.hardware

Guard Mounting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guard Mounting , or Changing the Guard , refers to a formal ceremony in which sentries providing ceremonial guard duties at important institutions ...

Palestinian teenager shot amid mounting anger over Israeli hunt for missing youths in West Bank - The ...
14-year-old shot dead in clashes near Hebron and two other Palestinians wounded as Israeli troops continue raids to find three missing teenagers. ...

Alleged assault in Flemington mounting yard: Spring Carnival turns ugly
The VRC Oaks Day meeting at Flemington was marred by an ugly mounting yard incident when a strapper was allegedly assaulted by a stablehand. ...

Sisters to sell Gatwick Hotel amid ice plague and mounting costs
Yvette Kelly and her sister Rose have housed some of Melbourne's most downtrodden people in their Gatwick Hotel for decades, but say mounting ...

Highway deaths lead to mounting road toll
IF YOU’RE going to die in a car crash, chances are it will be on a highway, with almost half of Australia’s national roads doubling as potential ...

Iraq PM under mounting fire
Iraq's PM is facing mounting criticism for his Shia-led govt's failure to do more to woo the Sunni minority

The Kirribilli Club eyes $15.5 million sale amid mounting debts
The Kirribilli Club would appear to have everything going for it. But the ex-services club is facing a multimillion-dollar fire sale seven years ...

Iraq PM under mounting fire
Sydney Morning Herald Iraq PM under mounting fire Sydney Morning Herald Iraq's leader is facing mounting criticism for his Shi'ite-led government's ...

Hawthorn's off-field woes mounting
Hawthorn's off-field woes mounting