not a valid block device

Apparently it only works every OTHER day.  I got help with this Lexar
SmartMedia card reader and Redhat 8.0.  Some days, it works fine, other
days, it complains that it's not a valid block device.  The output of dmesg
is below.  Do you see anything in there that gives a clue?

I can plug the camera in with its own USB cable and use gphoto2 to retrieve
the files, so there's nothing wrong with the card.

[root@crisium mnt]# mount /mnt/usb
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
[root@crisium mnt]#

/etc/fstab contains:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/usb                vfat
noauto,user,umask=000 0 0

[root@crisium mnt]# dmesg
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x2) is not claimed by any active
driver.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: LEXAR SM  Model: READER            Rev: 1.00
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
USB Mass Storage support registered.
via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: unknown partition table
via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:11.3-1 address 3
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 4
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ
0

Wendy S wrote:

> Apparently it only works every OTHER day.  I got help with this Lexar
> SmartMedia card reader and Redhat 8.0.  Some days, it works fine, other
> days, it complains that it's not a valid block device.  The output of
> dmesg
> is below.  Do you see anything in there that gives a clue?
>
> I can plug the camera in with its own USB cable and use gphoto2 to
> retrieve the files, so there's nothing wrong with the card.
>
> [root@crisium mnt]# mount /mnt/usb
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> [root@crisium mnt]#
>
> /etc/fstab contains:
> /dev/sda1               /mnt/usb                vfat
> noauto,user,umask=000 0 0
>
> [root@crisium mnt]# dmesg
> hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 3
> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x2) is not claimed by any active
> driver.
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: LEXAR SM  Model: READER            Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 3
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
>  sda: unknown partition table
> via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
> usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:11.3-1 address 3
> hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 4
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 4

Does sda1 still exist in /dev when you get this error?
On my system, the Zip drive is mounted on /dev/sda4, but this device doesn't
exist, only sda, which is a symlink to scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc.
This sounds O.K. for a drive, but not for a camera.

Doug.
--
Registered Linux User No. 277548.
They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place.  My typing is
Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Does sda1 still exist in /dev when you get this error?
> On my system, the Zip drive is mounted on /dev/sda4, but this device
> doesn't exist, only sda, which is a symlink to
> scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc. This sounds O.K. for a drive, but not
> for a camera.

There's a LOT of stuff in /dev!  Yes, /dev/sda1 is there, whether or not the
card is in the reader:

[wendy@crisium dev]$ ll /dev/sda1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   1 Aug 30  2002 /dev/sda1

Anecdotally, the floppy drive light comes on when I insert/remove a card
from the SmartMedia reader.  Weird.

Still getting:
[wendy@crisium dev]$ mount /mnt/usb
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

NOW we've got some better stuff in dmesg:

hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x2) is not claimed by any active
driver.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: LEXAR SM  Model: READER            Rev: 1.00
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: unknown partition table
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:11.3-1 address 3
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
 sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 4
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: unknown partition table

It doesn't like the card for some reason.  Does it matter whether they're
FAT or FAT32?

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ
0
Wendy S wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> > Does sda1 still exist in /dev when you get this error?
> > On my system, the Zip drive is mounted on /dev/sda4, but this device
> > doesn't exist, only sda, which is a symlink to
> > scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc. This sounds O.K. for a drive, but not
> > for a camera.

The system showing that behaviour is using devfs.

> There's a LOT of stuff in /dev!  Yes, /dev/sda1 is there, whether or not the
> card is in the reader:
>
> [wendy@crisium dev]$ ll /dev/sda1
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   1 Aug 30  2002 /dev/sda1

This one isn't using devfs.  The behaviour of the two systems should not
be compared (unless you want to cause yourselves headaches).
0
jpstewart1 (635)

[News] [Linux] New Device Features Linux, OSS, and Open Source Hardware
Zigbee motes boast open hardware, software ,----[ Quote ] | A university spin-off company in Spain is readying an inexpensive | Zigbee-based "mote" sensor built entirely with open-source hardware | and software. | | [...] | | Additionally, Libelius is currently shipping a Debian Linux-based | "MeshLium" access point (pictured at right) claimed capable of | bridging Zigbee and WiFi networks. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4953888945.html Related: Open source hardware, what is it? - A start... ,----[ Quote | Open source hardware is a term we've used he...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to access block devices in unbuffered fashion -like it does for the raw devices- using KAIO (Kernel Asynchronous I/O). The server is brand new, and I can play with it a bit before it goes into production, so I decided to do some performance testing of RAW vs BLOCK vs COOKED, to see which one was better from the I/O performance point of view. Some definitions, first: * RAW DEVICE or CHARACTER DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines; each character is read from, or written to, the device immediately; such devices are disk partitions without a file system on them, and are therefore managed from outside the operating system using direct access and bypassing the OS layer and its cache * BLOCK DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted in the form of blocks, the most sign...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- and depending on the type of application, a hacker can exploit the vulnerability for anything from data theft to creation of a mobile botnet." http://bluebox.com/corporate-blog/bluebox-uncovers-android-master-key/ OMG........... "7"? , Grufftard?......... Kohltard?..... please come and tell us this isn't so!!!!!!!! <chuckle> -- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2013 edition http://bit.ly/gBOiz6 Cola Zealot wrote: > The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a > vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to > modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, > to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely > unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end us...

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

NAS device uses linux os
To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these? I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in them. It would be nice to be able to SSH into it, as it is now, the only interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job... Eric --- * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet! --- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24 ...

mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfectly with kernel 2.6.10. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem would be appreciated. Obviously both kernels use the same fstab and many other common files. dmesg seems to see the correct cdrom drive. Thanks for any thoughts. Ed "ed doyle" <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote in message news:YUWGd.1844$Rs.450@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi, > I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with > no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now > can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount > a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". > If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything > continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything > else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfect...

[9fans] hardware device line -> what about the "file resource hardware devices" that are supported
I'm a newbe at Plan 9 and I got Inferno and Octopus just running. I writing first limbo programs and I like it. + Made in plane C + resource is a file and not complicated proprietary drivers + it can be run such easy and small with emu at each system (I have Mac) + interconnect of resources And when in one example it is explained, that you just send command "snap" to a cam input stream and you catch the file later by /image folder I thought: Ok, let's google if there is any description for a CAM or a USB-Scanner what can be addressed such way with Plan 9. I found nothing. So, my question: Doesn't it makes sense that some hardware like CAMs or USB-Scanners are working with Plan 9. I mean: There is a good system but as I understand there is absolutely no device what I can buy and connect to it. There not need be 1000 CAMs supported, I would be happy if already only 1 CAM, 1 Scanner, 1 Printer would be supported and usable with Plan 9. Example: I want write some Limbo programs and I would also support for example some printing functions (one laser printer, one label printer) and a barcode scanner for example. And if I mean printing, I will say that it need work and not absolutely catastrophic results. So think about Apple: There is also not 1000 of hardware what you buy, you stay in the Apple Line. Ok, today it is growing fast and more and more companies offer the matching Mac drivers now. But I remember that before it was always VERY LESS that was ...

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
A good number of results turn up on google...but little help. I've tried most of the offered fixes below. Still doesn't solve the problem. I updated from kernel-2.4.20-20 to kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl The older kernel-2.4.20 always has in the system log: Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide This doesn't appear when booting into the new kernel-2.4.22 The new kernel deleted the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0 from /etc/fstab and throws the line in...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I have had this problem with the Fefora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358. But with the kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl there is no problem to play CD. I have tried different ways after reading other threads on this and other forums but still does not work. Here are some files maybe helpful for you guys. Thanks! # ls -l /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 4 11:24 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 ###########################################3 # cat /etc/fstab.rpmsave LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults...

Missing GS/OS Device Information Block information
Hi All, The Device Information Block is detailed in pages 179-180 of the GS/OS Device Driver Reference. Nevertheless, I believe Figure 8-4 is not complete as all the DIBs I have encountered have a word at offset $40 which is not explained in the documentation I have. It appears to be a flag word. Does somebody know the name of that word and its details? Can you point me out to a documentation? Thank you in advance, Antoine On 25 nov, 12:46, Toinet <antoine.vig...@laposte.net> wrote: > Hi All, > > The Device Information Block is detailed in pages 179-180 of the GS/OS > Device Driver Reference. Nevertheless, I believe Figure 8-4 is not > complete as all the DIBs I have encountered have a word at offset $40 > which is not explained in the documentation I have. It appears to be a > flag word. > > Does somebody know the name of that word and its details? Can you > point me out to a documentation? > > Thank you in advance, > > Antoine I must add that the AppleDisk5.25 driver uses two extra words: +40: drive/DIB number (from 0 to $D) +42: slot*16 value (with 1 bit indicating drive 1 or 2) I am wondering whether this is a global usage or those two words are "free" values depending on the driver. Regards, antoine "Toinet" <antoine.vignau@laposte.net> wrote in message news:22482991-02de-4664-a7de-7f61e9ac1ece@h20g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > On 25 nov, 12:46, Toinet <antoine.vig...@laposte.net&...

[News] Linux Growth in Mobile Devices Gets Validated
Mobile Devices Adopt Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | You don't have to be completely immersed in the world of technology | to know that we're in the middle of an open source revolution. | Even people who don't know much about computers and technology | can recognize that there's been a rising trend for people to | customize existing products and openly share information that | can benefit vast numbers of people and foster creativity. Instead | of just using what's being given to us, we're starting to take | control, and this has enhanced the markets and the communities. |...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount the cd-rw drive with the original 2.4.18 kernel i got log messages about the mounting of a SCSI device, i've recompiled the new kernel with some SCSI stuff enabled, but with no result. Does anybody have an idea of what's going on? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Samhain -------------------------------------------------------------- The light at the end of the tunnel could turn out to be the headlight of an oncoming train. to answer by e-mail, remove "NOMONNEZZA" from the address -------------------------------------------------------------- "Samhain" <leptone81NOMONNEZZA@hotmail.com> writes: > Hi everybody, > i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A > installed on my K6-2/300. > For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to > a 2.4.20 one. > After the installation...

[Commercial]: Linux Device Drivers:Where the Kernel Meets the Hardware
Hello All, For a non-programmer, these issues are mysteries: the system that never makes mistakes is full of problems, and who knows why? System Programmers, on the other hand, are familiar with the limits of the system--what happens inside the computer when it takes several minutes to open large files, why a particular security hole is a problem, and why it's so difficult to get large-scale software projects right. In sum,Kernel Programming is the key to the digital city of device drivers: If you know the language for drivers you can get a device to do almost anything you wan...

[Commercial] Linux Device Drivers:Where the Kernel Meets the Hardware
Hello All, Linux Device Driver Programming is an intensive hands- on course designed by Concepts Systems to provide a detailed examination of each topic is presented along with a supporting laboratory exercise before moving on to the next topic. The course shows attendees how device drivers work with the Linux kernel, how to compile and load drivers, how to debug drivers, the key issues in developing and testing Linux device drivers. This class enables developers and engineers to rapidly identify issues critical to their project, and provides them in-depth knowledg...

eSATA support in Linux / is eSATA visible as a block device?
How's the support for eSATA in Linux? I've never worked with eSATA before so I was wondering. I run CentOS 5.4. Just wanted to get some opinions before I spent my $$ on one such device. Also, are eSATA devices visible just like SATA or SAS as block devices? Will I see a /dev/sda /dev/sdb x8....etc. if I buy a 8bay eSATA storage box? On a related note I know that iSCSI is used a lot with Linux servers these days. But I am still confused about the exact connections between the server and the iSCSI storage? Googling+wikipedia reveal that in SAN's etc. they have a whole dedicated switching network but if I just bought an iSCSI storgae device to attach to my dedicated server can I just hook the two together with a ethernet cable? Or will I have to put a switch between? [In case you wonder why I'd even consider iSCSI in the absence of a SAN: Some nice and reasonably priced boxes I saw offer iSCSI as a connection option. So I am curious.] -- Rahul On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:59:19 +0000 (UTC), Rahul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote: >How's the support for eSATA in Linux? I've never worked with eSATA before >so I was wondering. I run CentOS 5.4. Just wanted to get some opinions >before I spent my $$ on one such device. Just another SATA drive. eSATA is a hardware spec. If you have the mobo controller support, you can 'eject' the hard drive and disconnect it. I dunno about iSCSI. Grant. Rahul wrote: > How's the...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2
I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any comment on the lines below are welcome: I have: [root@chouette /]# mount /mnt/cdrom mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device I guess the following is ok: [root@chouette /]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 So much for the following: [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 30 2004 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/hdc brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Aug 30 2001 /dev/hdc However, I think here is a good hint ("driver not present") [root@chouette /]# grep hdc /var/log/dmesg ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: driver not present Also, maybe this would be useful to read: [root@chouette /]# /sbin/lsmod | grep id [root@chouette /]# cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide [root@chouette ide]# ls ataraid.o hptraid.o ide-cd.o ide-cs.o ide-tape.o pdcraid.o [root@chouette ide]# /sbin/insmod ide-cd.o ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_sense_R2001c4a1 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_get_last_written_Ra27af6fe ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_select_R1f88a106 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol init_...

error=> /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
Hello, I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it fails to mount floppy drive with error mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device I check /etc/fstab there is entry for /dev/fd0 to mount at /mnt/floppy. Also My default Redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 does mount the floppy without any problem. I check for modules they are already loaded in 2.4.30 when i /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but it fails. I am Mounting Floppy as root. rahul8143@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it > fails to mount floppy d...

Usb CompactFlash, mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have a problem with mounting a CompactFlash card using a card reader. I've followed all the instructions I could find via Google but still no joy. When mounting the card as a disk there are two errors: root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device The card reader is a Belkin F5U140 and plugs into the USB port. I have tried three different CF cards, two of which contain images and can be viewed without problem on a Nikon CP4300 digital camera. The kernel log messages (below) indicate that the cards are recognised as CompactFlash, even the size seems okay (64MB & 256MB cards), but the partition table cannot be read. Below is pasted all of the diagnostics I could find. *Any* help much appreciated as I've exhausted the howto's and google search and am now completely stumped. Further info on request... Cheers, -bernie. root@netvista:~# uname -a Linux netvista 2.2.20 #1 Thu Feb 26 18:12:28 UTC 2004 i686 unknown root@netvista:~# lsmod Module Size Used by vfat 9428 0 (autoclean) usb-storage 11464 0 st 24588 0 (autoclean) (unused) ide-scsi 7060 0 (autoclean) sg 14928 0 (autoclean) usb-uhci 18220 0 (unused) mousedev ...

Linux
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361237 Touchpad (Synaptic) doesn't work by default, tried on Edgy and Feiesty, none of them worked. Ubuntu stops detecting my WiFi card (eth1 dissapears from the system). On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:42:11 -0700, Thomas Dolby wrote: > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361237 > > > Touchpad (Synaptic) doesn't work by default, tried on Edgy and Feiesty, > none of them worked. > Ubuntu stops detecting my WiFi card (eth1 dissapears from the system). this is thousands? Verily I say unto thee, that bob spake thusly: > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:42:11 -0700, Thomas Dolby wrote: > >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361237 >> >> >> Touchpad (Synaptic) doesn't work by default, tried on Edgy and Feiesty, >> none of them worked. You snipped the important bit: "After applying the fix mentioned here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2069870 the touchpad works" >> Ubuntu stops detecting my WiFi card (eth1 dissapears from the system). > > this is thousands? No Bob, *this* is thousands: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/topics Bon Appétit, Monsieur Dolby. -- K. http://slated.org ..---- | "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what | is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases | in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This...

External USB hard drive not recognized as valid block device
Hi all, I'm using SuSE on my home machine with pretty much standard settings. Since upgrading to SuSE 9.3 I'm having trouble with getting an external USB HD properly recognized during boot up. The drive should be mounted as /Windows/D according to my etc/fstab listed below. /dev/hda3 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1 /dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0 /dev/sda1 /windows/D vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0 /dev/hda2 swap swap pri=42 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0 /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0 /dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0 It is not mounted automatically and I noticed a "not a valid block device" message during boot process. This is the relevant excerpt from boot.omsg log file. < ...> Mounting local file systems... proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,...

Caching behavior on Linux 2.4.18 for block devices
Hi folks, On Linux 2.4.18, when a process requests a block that is already in the block cache, does the kernel map the block cache containing that block to the requesting process's address space OR copy the content to the requesting process's address space? If the answer is the first one, what will happen if >1 processes are sharing the block cache but 1 of them intends to modify the content? Thank you! --Yipkei Yipkei Kwok wrote: > Hi folks, > > On Linux 2.4.18, when a process requests a block that is already in What did you meant by request? Processes use system calls to talk to the kernel. > the block cache, does the kernel map the block cache containing that > block to the requesting process's address space OR copy the content to > the requesting process's address space? > > If the answer is the first one, what will happen if >1 processes are > sharing the block cache but 1 of them intends to modify the content? As I know, when process use read system call, kernel always copy required contents of one or several blocks from cache to buffer in process' adress space. So process can do almost everything with it's buffer. Victor Nazarov wrote: > Yipkei Kwok wrote: > >> Hi folks, >> >> On Linux 2.4.18, when a process requests a block that is already in > > What did you meant by request? Processes use system calls to talk to the > kernel. > >> the block cache, ...

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 /dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,user,ro 0 0 /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0 /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0 (I do have a /etc/fstab.REVOKE file present too, but it's empty.) [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/mtab /dev/hda7 / ext3 rw 0 0 none /proc proc rw 0 0 usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0 /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0 /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0 /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0 [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /proc/mounts rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0 /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0 /proc /proc proc rw 0 0 usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0 /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0 ...

The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block.
Does this relate directly to the hard disks listed in disk manager, i.e. HardDisk1 = Disk 1 (as opposed to Disk 0)? Thanks, Rob. Rob Nicholson <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote > Does this relate directly to the hard disks listed in disk manager, > i.e. HardDisk1 = Disk 1 (as opposed to Disk 0)? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865/ >> Does this relate directly to the hard disks listed in disk manager, >> i.e. HardDisk1 = Disk 1 (as opposed to Disk 0)? > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865/ Thanks that helped - i...

Web resources about - not a valid block device - comp.os.linux.hardware

Mobile Internet device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are designed to provide entertainment, information and location-based services for personal use, rather than for corporate use. They allow ...

This $99 device turns your phone into a 3D printer
... It uses a special resin and the light from your screen. 3D printers can be pretty expensive, but a company called OLO has created a new device ...

Opinion: Will limited device & app support lead 3D Touch to wither and die?
... feature to be shown. Clearly Apple thinks it’s a big deal. And yet, the company just this week unveiled not just one but two new iOS devices, ...

Oracle and Adobe Invest in Cross-Device Identification Trend
Oracle and Adobe are beefing up their cross-device tracking capabilities. The firms, two of the largest companies in marketing software and related ...

OnePlus: “we will not be launching our next device on April 7”
... on April 7? A OnePlus spokesman told us that 'the April 7 event is focused on the China market. We will not be launching our next device then.' ...

Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older devices following activation problems
The iPhone 4S and other older iDevices could be affected by this problem. (credit: Andrew Cunningham) Apple has temporarily pulled the iOS 9.3 ...

Critical Android bug can permanently compromise Nexus and other devices
... big Android vulnerability revealed. A report from security firm Lookout informs us of a new threat that can permanently “compromise” a device, ...

Google looking to echo Amazon's voice-controlled Echo device
... speaker and voice command unit that answers questions and plays music, according to The Information. There are no further details on the device’s ...

Google is reportedly working on a new keyboard for Apple devices
... your iPhone or iPad, then Google might have a solution for you. The tech giant is reportedly developing a third-party keyboard for iOS devices ...

New device could detect explosive popular with terrorists - Videos - CBS News
In Rhode Island, researchers are developing a new device to detect a homemade explosive called TAPT. It is made with hydrogen peroxide and acetone, ...