Opinions sought on Laptops, specifically HP 6730b vs HP DV5T

I have a question that's not easily answered by looking at specs, is the
cooling the same in the HP 6730b and the HP DV5T? They are very similar,
they both are available with the 9400 processor and the Intel 4500
graphics chip, but one is a "business" laptop and one is a "consumer"
laptop. What I want to know is if they are really the same laptop and if
they can handle running at least one core flat out. My current laptop is
an old Compaq R3000z (first gen AMD64) that requires that I set the CPU
speed governor down to it's middle clock rate when I run Verilog
simulations or else it overheats and shuts down. My three major
requirements for it's replacement are support for 8G of RAM, Intel
Wireless, and the ability to run at it's rated speed on real loads.

The 6730b is available with Freedos, however the largest disk that they
offer with it is only 250G, the DV5T has 320G and 400G drives available
(the 320 is the sweet spot right now). Also a comparably equipped DV5T is
several hundred dollars cheaper than the 6730b even with the Windows Tax
(the cheapest option on that one is 32 bit Vista home). So if the cooling
is the same and the DV5T can support 8G I'll go with the DV5T (I'm
waiting for an answer from HP on the RAM limit).

BTW I've looked at Lenovos and Dells also. Dell's are obsolete, they are
shipping the old Centrino I chipsets not the current Centrino IIs, so
they are limited to 4G as far as I know, and they are using 65nm
processors instead of 45nm. The wireless chip in the Dell that I looked
at was also useless, Fedora didn't see it at all (it's almost certainly a
Broadcom, they do have an Intel available as an option on the XPS which
would fix the problem). Dell's are offered with Ubuntu so I would prefer
to buy from them, but the old technology is a show stopper. Lenovo has a
bad BIOS in the Sl500, it was the one laptop that I couldn't boot from my
Fedora 10 USB key, it would only see it after it had booted into Windows.
The consumer Lenovo, the Ideapad 530Y did boot fine but those aren't
available with decent processors, they are only available with low end
processors. All of the HPs that I tried booted Fedora with no trouble and
the wireless was automatically configured.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
11/16/2008 9:37:01 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Opinions: HP 5150 vs. HP 5650
There is a $50 difference between the HP 5150 and the HP 5650, but all I can determine is that the 5650 is a bit faster, 22 ppm vs. 19 ppm (black ink), plus you have the option to connect the 5650 with a parallel cable or a USB cable vs. no parallel option for the 5150. Can someone delineate the differences that would justify the extra $50? I don't know that I always NEED the best but I want my purchase to be worthwhile, so I'd like to believe the more expensive model would be the better choice. Feel free to disabuse me of that notion. I'm choosing HP because my DeskJet 882C has performed quite well for the past 4 1/2 years and I have no complaints. Thank you. Marjie ...

HP nx5000 Linux laptop no longer available; what is best MS-free Linux laptop ?
I noticed at the HP Web site that the HP nx5000 Linux Suse 9.1 laptop is no longer available. Can you recommend an alternative Linux laptop, a laptop that has never had an MS operating system or other MS software installed ? (I don't want to buy a laptop that has already paid a license fee to MS.) My favorite applications are listening to radio over the Internet, VOIP phone calls, playing/burning CDs and DVDs, loading and unloading digital photos, e-mail, Web browsing (wireless nice but not essential), Python progrmamming, etc. Thank you for sharing your experiences, recommendations. ...

HP 17BII+ vs HP 20b
what are the differences? The 17B is twice the price. On Oct 8, 3:14=A0pm, Steve Schow <dewdma...@gmail.com> wrote: > what are the differences? =A0The 17B is twice the price. Check out Eric Rechlin's excellent website hpcalc.org: 17bII+ http://commerce.hpcalc.org/17biip.php 20b http://commerce.hpcalc.org/20b.php S.C. ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 2100 TN vs HP 1200
I've seena relatively cheap HP 2100 TN for sale locally. Looking at the specs, it seems ideal for my needs. Any opinions either way, on reliability, caveats? For a similar price I could get a used HP 1200. That looks considerably less robust, though again the raw specs are good. Are these reliable? "tcfs1et02@sneakemail.com" <tcfs1et02@sneakemail.com> wrote: >I've seena relatively cheap HP 2100 TN for sale locally. > >Looking at the specs, it seems ideal for my needs. > >Any opinions either way, on reliability, caveats? > >For a ...

Torn between several laptop choices Dell vs HP vs Toshiba?
Ill summarize here: I am seeking to get a laptop that costs no more than say $1350, ideally having 0% financing options for a year or more. My usage will be on my lap alot or on the road.. possibility doing video editing on the unit and maybe rendering or just exporting the video to another desktop to do the final render. Possibly doing Maya8 creations on here as well.. These video aspects will happen very rarely most likely though. I may play a game now and then, but mostly my PC/360 covers that. I prefer minimally a 15.4" screen.. I like the weight of the 15.4s .. generally maxing out at 6.7 lbs. I've used the 17" zd8000s.. they are nice screen wise.. but i think after having that on your lap for a while it gets quite hot.. even this dell e1505 (temporary work laptop0 i'm using, with go 7300 video card is getting kinda hot. I want this laptop to last 3-4 years, run Vista. I like to have alot of apps open at once, so memory is key too.. I was hoping for a unit that could be expanded to 4GB, but most of the ones I've considered only goto 2gb (or so they say). Another big thing is wireless N.. i prefer the unit have wireless N, as this is my network both at work / home. I wanted this to be integrated, to avoid having a PC card (dont pc cards consume more energy than an internal?) i have a pc card now for wireless N, which i no longer use on anything, but most new laptops only have express card, that would be an added expense. It would be reall...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

HPSBMA02596 SSRT100271 rev.1

HP PSC 1350 vs HP PSC 2110
Hello...I recently purchased a 2110. I like the color reproductions and scanning is better than my old 610 however it is extremely noisy when printing. The carriage makes too much noise in comparison to other HP printers I have and have had. The dealer doesn't have another 2110 to replace the one I have but he offered to replace it with a 1350. I know nothing about this printer but it sure looks different. Sure it has slots for memory cards but? Are these printers about the same?...I understand that the 2110 is a discontinued printer and that the 1350 is replacing it....True? Not true? Is the trade forward or backward in terms of quality? Suggestions, opinions etc. would be appreciated. Bob your input would be appreciated as well. Thx....LJ "LJ" <nt6b_vk7lm@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:vu4ktrastusb52@corp.supernews.com... > Suggestions, opinions etc. would be appreciated. Keep the 2110. Just looking at the rated pages per month you can tell the 2110 is a more robust machine than the 1350. I would just deal with the noise until you can get a new 2110. Thank you for your input...I will take your advice.. LJ. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ xNokia3390x wrote: > "LJ" <nt6b_vk7lm@dslextreme.com> wrote in message > news:vu4ktrastusb52@corp.supernews.com... > >>Suggestions, opinions etc. would be appreciated. > &...

HP DC7700 vs. Linux
Anyone know what HP screwed up on the DC7700 series computers that prevents Linux from coming up unless ACPI is completely shut off? -- |---------------------------------------/----------------------------------| | Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org) / Do not send to the address below | | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-08-14-1311@ipal.net | |------------------------------------/-------------------------------------| phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote: > Anyone know what HP screwed up on the DC7700 series computers that prevents > Linux from coming up unless ACPI is completely shut off? No, but the output of dmesg will give you some instructions on commands to run and where to send the output. Keeping the ACPI code working with the brain-dead BIOS's in new machines is a full-time activity. Your output will help them fix Linux to work with that machine. Larry On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:25:17 GMT Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net> wrote: | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote: |> Anyone know what HP screwed up on the DC7700 series computers that prevents |> Linux from coming up unless ACPI is completely shut off? | | No, but the output of dmesg will give you some instructions on commands to run and where to send the | output. Keeping the ACPI code working with the brain-dead BIOS's in new machines is a full-time | activity. Your output will help them fix Linux to work with that machine. In what system will dmesg tell me whe...

HP HP Compaq
Hello My company is preparing to replace all our Dell SX270 SmallFormFactors. Because we use HP Proliant Servers I thought it would be a good idea to replace the Dell=92s with HP UltraSlim and/or SFF. Thus I started to look at current models, used models, refurbished models to get a feel on what HP offered new and old. I ended up reasonably confused. I have HP, HP Compaq, Proliant, Pavillion and so forth. To list a few I have HP DC7800, DC7900, HP 6200, HP Compaq 8200-8300 Elite, HP z220, HP Compaq 4000 and so forth. At least with Dell one can buy a SFF in one purchase area. With Hp the sales are generously scattered from one HP site to another HP site. I have no idea is HP and HP Compaq is one company? What I need to know so I can present to management should we consider buying be it used, refurbished, new for our business workstations HP or HP Compaq. I have studied the specs on all models and I see the progressive evolution. Xp to Vista to Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit. The intel core, memory, sata drives. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks In article <2b0098dd-8393-4021-a90d-2a2d602ca84e@ih1g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>, Chuck McReynolds <ambcsc.archives@gmail.com> wrote: > I have no idea is HP and HP Compaq is one company? Compaq is a brand held by HP these days. -- May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods Those who eat natural foods die...

EQLplus from Wolfgang: HP 49G vs hp 49g+
Hello together, the 49G and the 49g+ behaves different, when I try to solve a set of equations. When UserFlag 61 is cleared the solver uses "Units": in this case 49G and 49g+ behave similar. When UserFlag 61 is set (without Units), the 49g+ solver is running fine, while the 49G solver "simplifies" the equations to something which is not usefull anymore. This is an official invitation to test Wolfgangs EQLplus :-) with HP 49G as well as with hp 49g+ (please note, that hp 49g+ is *not written with capital letters... ;-) http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~raut/WR49/EQLplus.zip ...

HP recovery disks vs. HP recovery console
I notice (if I pay attention to the screen) that on boot-up I have the option of going to BIOS or the HP recovery console. If I already have the recovery cd's, what does the HP recovery console do? In article <K6P1b.25332$5H4.671725@twister.southeast.rr.com>, bogey@themovies.com says... > I notice (if I pay attention to the screen) that on boot-up I have the > option of going to BIOS or the HP recovery console. If I already > have the recovery cd's, what does the HP recovery console do? > > The recovery console restores your system from a hidden partition on the hard disk. Its faster than using the CD's. The CD's are in case your hard drive fails, taking the recovery partiton with it, or your partition table gets corrupted or anything else that makes that hidden partition inaccessable. Mike Well, the "hidden partition" is easily found. And, my manual that came with the Hp even suggests that once you have your recovery CD's that you can delete the partition and use that 5 gig space. Actually, I used partition magic to recover the 5 gigs with no difficulty. Only 'problem" I had was that there is a flaw in the software that comes with some or all of the new HP's that don't allow you to complete the 1st cd of the recovery series. A call to the tech people will get you the 6 cd's needed for your PC. And what would happen if your hard drive failed? No more hidden partition. It's best to...

HP laptop dv6000 OS
The hard drive died and I have no replacement OS. How do I get a replacement XP home to put on this machine that has oddball stuff on it? At this stage I'd settle for a functioning linux that can address the built-ins. It came with an OS loaded on it and no repair disks. Thanks in advance. On 6/10/2011 10:29 PM, Bill wrote: > The hard drive died and I have no replacement OS. How > do I get a replacement XP home to put on this machine > that has oddball stuff on it? > > At this stage I'd settle for a functioning linux that > can address the built-ins. > > It came with an OS loaded on it and no repair disks. > > Thanks in advance. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en -- Bill Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0 Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3 On 6/11/2011 6:27 AM, BillW50 wrote: > On 6/10/2011 10:29 PM, Bill wrote: >> The hard drive died and I have no replacement OS. How >> do I get a replacement XP home to put on this machine >> that has oddball stuff on it? >> >> At this stage I'd settle for a functioning linux that >> can address the built-ins. >> >> It came with an OS loaded on it and no repair disks. >> >> Thanks in advance. > > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en Thanks for your help. Looks like I have to buy a recove...

HP-50g vs Linux
Trying to get my 50g to talk to my Linux box. The windoze software will not run in either WINE nor a VM. HPTalx works about 1 in 20 attempts. I know when it's not going to work when I start the server (LS + Right arrow key) and the screen says Xmodem server waiting for command and the busy indicator is on. When it does work the calc says only waiting for command And the busy indicator is off. I assume this is a handshake error between the calc and HPTalx. Anyone found a better solution? John John DeArmond http://www.neon-john.com http://www.fluxeon.c...

HP laptop no longer works w/ non-HP battery??
hello, ive got an HP pavillion laptop. would be nice to know the model but i forgot it at home.. but i can tell you the battery says "for Pavilion ZT1000 AT1210, ZT, XZ Series", and mine is one of those. couple years ago the original HP battery wore out, only kept a charge for about 40 minutes. so i purchased a 3rd party replacement. it worked for a year or so, then one day the laptop shut off as i was using it. i discovered the 3rd-party battery was dead -- laptop only worked if plugged in. so i mail-ordered another replacement battery (googled my laptop, they said this works for it; it is blue and appears identical to my HP)...and this one is "dead" too, wont boot. so i put the original HP batt back in, and guess what? it works. so either i have a new dead battery on my hands, or my laptop ONLY works w/ the original HP battery -- is that possible!??? i know the OS can recognize the diff (HP Optimizer only works w/ hp batt), but i wouldnt think the bios would care. thoughts? thanks, matt oh, i should add -- when charging the new 3rd-party replacement battery, the laptop's LCD battery indicator (works even when powered off) says "11%", all the time. fors hours & hours. weird. matt matt.delvecchio@shell.com wrote: >couple years ago the original HP battery wore out, only kept a charge >for about 40 minutes. so i purchased a 3rd party replacement. it worked >for a year or so, then one day the laptop shut off as i was ...

Personal opinions on all-in-one's requested
Dear subscribers, You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and opinions regarding the printers mentioned above. By the way: Would buying separate parts make a big difference in quality? It is for my parents and an all-in-one looks easier for them, for they are not that young anymore ;-). But if their quality is poor, I would reconsider this. Thanks in advance! Sincere greetings, Rene Harrie wrote: > Dear subscribers, > > You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and > opinions regarding the printers mentioned above. > By the way: Would buying separate parts make a big difference in > quality? It is for my parents and an all-in-one looks easier for > them, for they are not that young anymore ;-). But if their quality > is poor, I would reconsider this. > > Thanks in advance! > > Sincere greetings, > Rene Well, I got a 2110 a couple of weeks ago. So far the quality has been fine. I've not tested all of the features/quality settings yet though. It copies and scans fairly easily and with decent quality. On standard "normal" quality it prints text or text/color fairly fast. My one dislike is the software has a large install print for a bunch of printer/scanning software. That and the "auto-detect" status program seems kind of pointless when it tells me "! printer is not working or connected!" Well, duh its not turned ...

HP-UX 11.00 vs. HP-UX 11i
I just started a new job and we're trying to figure out if there's any compelling reason to move to 11i from 11.00 on the PA-RISC architecture. I know 11.00 has been around for more than 5 years now so it only has a very few years left in the life-cycle, I would guess, but that never seems to be a compelling reason for managers. (I was still running a couple of 9.x systems at my previous job and the new employer still has quite a few 10.01 systems in operation, as I've been told.) If we plan to migrate to Itanium at some point, 11i will be a requirement. Aside from potential futur...

hp
I have - hope sometime not so long ago, to say: "I had" - an hp pavillion zv5290ea. Some time - 8 months ( could you beleive it? ) - my dvd drive has gone away. I've done a million of calls to hp support center and they didn't change my drive neither wanted to see it. I also have a hp printer, that does not work well, it always has printing problems. A friend of mine told me that hp is going to be splited again into hp and compaq. Could this be true? ...

HP Sell Linux Laptops in SA
,----[ Quote ] | HP South Africa has confirmed the release of it's Linspire-based | notebook range. Since Tectonic first reported on HP's plans for a | Linux-based notebook range in February, we can confirm that Tom Hoyt, | Insternational sales manager of Linspire, has been in South Africa | meeting with local businesses, including HP, and is very enthusiastic | about the opportunties to establish Linspire in South Africa. `---- http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=943 ...

HP dv8000 series laptops with linux ?
Hi, I was not able to find any info from linux-laptops.net on how well HP dv8000 series laptops work with linux. I am in the process of doing my research before I buy. I was looking for laptops with 1) 17" screen 2) Large hard drives (> 100 Gb) 3) Uses ATI Graphics Cards (NOT NVIDIA; No open source drivers for DRI) HP provides this. And better HP is Debian friendly. I would be greatfull if you could comment on these laptops or any other alternatives. regards b thomas On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:39:24 GMT, B Thomas <thomasb@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote: >Hi, > >I was...

Web resources about - Opinions sought on Laptops, specifically HP 6730b vs HP DV5T - comp.os.linux.hardware

Category:Articles with specifically marked weasel-worded phrases from February 2010 - Wikipedia, the ...

Convertible Notes : Why would an early-stage investor specifically NOT prefer a convertible note structure ...
Answer (1 of 6): There are very clear reasons and the best early-stage investors do price rounds: * If you're an early stage investor you're ...

New Aston Martin built specifically for next Bond film
Sam Mendes, director of the next James Bond film "Spectre" unveiled the new Aston Martin DB10 on Thursday.

Robert Rodriguez created Demi Lovato's 'From Dusk till Dawn' character specifically for her - 680 NEWS ...
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – Robert Rodriguez had been waiting for a chance to work with Demi Lovato since she auditioned for his 2003 movie “Spy ...

Reuters: Google planning new ‘Android M’ specifically for cars
Google is planning to create a version of Android that will run in cars without the need for a connected smartphone according to a new report ...

Samsung bought two patents specifically for use in Apple trial, say attorneys
... , and Samsung is claiming Apple did the same to two of its patents, it has been suggested that Samsung bought the two patents concerned specifically ...

Mad Woman Lauren Reeves Explains the Secrets Behind the Advertising of Alcohol, Vodka Specifically [Video] ...
Hello again! It's me, Lauren, and as part of my ongoing investigation into the secret methodology behind advertising, I've been drinking. Exploring ...

Virginia Republicans pass “nondiscrimination” bill that specifically protects anti-LGBT discrimination ...
This morning, Republicans in the Virginia House of Delegates passed HB 773 , the Government Nondiscrimination Act, which specifically “prohibits ...

Facebook Lite is now official, made specifically for emerging markets
... than that. Facebook Lite, a stripped-down version of the full-fledged Facebook app, has just been released to the Google Play Store, made specifically ...