Printer

Good day,

I have installed Mandrake 9.1, dual booting with Windows 2000. Linux
installed on hdb.

System: 512K
        1.2 Mhz AMD processor
        CD Drive
        Two HD.
        Motherboard : K7S5A

Here's what's going on.  Linux does not see the printer.  I don't know if
the parallel is undetected therefore linux would not see the printer.

Windows has no problem finding the printer.

Any ideas about fixing this problem?

Thanks,

Ross
0
RossHimes (6)
8/20/2003 1:06:13 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ross Himes wrote:

   First of all :

   1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ?

   2).- Are all the modules inserted ? Or may be the code is statical
compiled in the kernel. Typically modules : partport.o partport_pc.o ...

   3).- Check the hardware howto and the printing howto.
   4).- What do you mean with 'Linux does not see the printer' ? How do
you check that ?

   Greets,

   Gus

Gustavo Perez wrote:

> Ross Himes wrote:
>
>    First of all :
>
>    1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ?

        Lexmark Z52.

>    2).- Are all the modules inserted ? Or may be the code is statical
> compiled in the kernel. Typically modules : partport.o partport_pc.o ...

        That I don't know.  I am pretty new at this although I've been playing
computer for many, many years.   Old DOS guy.

>    3).- Check the hardware howto and the printing howto.

        Sound good.

>    4).- What do you mean with 'Linux does not see the printer' ? How do
> you check that ?

        When I re-installed Mandrake again, there is a section that allows you to
configure hardware.  Under "Printer" the installer said "No Printer".

I can not help but wonder if I need to change a BIOS setting on the parallel
port.

Thanks,

Ross
0
RossHimes (6)
8/21/2003 12:32:50 AM
Gustavo Perez wrote:

> Ross Himes wrote:
>
>    First of all :
>
>    1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ?
>
>    2).- Are all the modules inserted ? Or may be the code is statical
> compiled in the kernel. Typically modules : partport.o partport_pc.o ...
>
>    3).- Check the hardware howto and the printing howto.
>    4).- What do you mean with 'Linux does not see the printer' ? How do
> you check that ?
>
>    Greets,
>
>    Gus

Here's more information:  I tried to install the lexmark driver I got.

[root@x1-6-00-0a-e6-6f-d5-a2 ross]# rpm -i lexmarkz52-1.0-4.i386.rpm
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.74868: line 169: /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd: No such file or
director
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.74868: line 172: /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd: No such file or
director
lpr: Unknown option '-s'.
lpr: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.

Obviously I am missing some lpd files.  How do I get or install them?

Thanks,

Ross
0
RossHimes (6)
8/21/2003 2:05:18 AM
Ross Himes wrote:
 > Gustavo Perez wrote:
 >

 >>Ross Himes wrote:
 >>
 >>   First of all :
 >>
 >>   1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ?
 >

 >         Lexmark Z52.

   Check this one :

     http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark

   As you may see, your printer is fully supported. From here you may
find all the information needed to configure it properly.

 > I can not help but wonder if I need to change a BIOS setting on the
parallel
 > port.

   I don't think so. In some strange cases the bidirectional feature may
not be supported, but this is very rare.
   It would first check modules in the kernel (in the case of mandrake a
lot of support is inserted in the kernel, which makes it a nice choice
for beginers), the print filters (/etc/printcap for lpd(lprNG) or cups).
For mandrake I'm no sure, suppose that both lpr and cups are present.

 > Thanks,
 >
 > Ross

    Greets,

    Gus

Gus,

I tried all you outlined to no avail, however, while laying on the couch I
decided to use the usb port instead of the parallel port.  Now my printer
works.

Thanks for all your help.

Ross

Gustavo Perez wrote:

> Ross Himes wrote:
>  > Gustavo Perez wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >>Ross Himes wrote:
>  >>
>  >>   First of all :
>  >>
>  >>   1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ?
>  >
>  >
>  >         Lexmark Z52.
>  >
>  >

>    Check this one :
>
>      http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark
>
>    As you may see, your printer is fully supported. From here you may
> find all the information needed to configure it properly.
>

>  >
>  >
>  > I can not help but wonder if I need to change a BIOS setting on the
> parallel
>  > port.
>  >

>    I don't think so. In some strange cases the bidirectional feature may
> not be supported, but this is very rare.
>    It would first check modules in the kernel (in the case of mandrake a
> lot of support is inserted in the kernel, which makes it a nice choice
> for beginers), the print filters (/etc/printcap for lpd(lprNG) or cups).
> For mandrake I'm no sure, suppose that both lpr and cups are present.
>
>  > Thanks,
>  >
>  > Ross
>
>     Greets,
>
>     Gus

0
RossHimes (6)
8/21/2003 12:14:17 PM
Ross Himes wrote:
> Gus,
>
> I tried all you outlined to no avail, however, while laying on the couch I
> decided to use the usb port instead of the parallel port.  Now my printer
> works.
>
> Thanks for all your help.

   Great !

   Gus

Installing a Linux printer driver on OS X?
The Samsung SCX-4100 multifunction printer/scanner does not have a Mac driver. But a Linux driver does exist. The download link is here: http://tinyurl.com/bcl3n Is there any hope of getting the Linux driver working under OS X? Or is that like apples to taste like oranges? Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group In article <0001HW.BF511CCE0003058AF02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>, DaveC <me@privacy.net>...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade
If this is not the correct I apologize up front. Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken. We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550. Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. "Krazik" <Keith.Weber@converse.com> schreef in bericht news:19846af5-a053-4dda-a89b-c20b4f1ad585@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > If this is not the correct I apologize up front. > > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken. > > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550. > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration > o...

Printer recommendation (color inkjet, low per-page cost, OS/2 and Linux compatible)
Hi, My Lexmark Optra Color 40 has seen better days, so I think it's time to buy a new printer. The printouts are slightly tilted to the left, and I nothing I've tried has fixed it. I was hoping someone could recommend an inkjet to me. My requirements are: 1) Excellent OS/2 and Linux support 2) Parallel-port interface (not USB) 3) Reasonably-priced cartridges (I'm not interested in printers that are really cheap but use expensive cartridges) 4) No utility software required (my Optra 40 needs a "cartridge utility" to change /align cartridges and clean the nozzles, and I hate that) Since I can't use USB, I know my options are limited. Epson C-80 or 82 Matt On 12 Jul 2003 15:01:23 -0700, Timur Tabi wrote: >Hi, > >My Lexmark Optra Color 40 has seen better days, so I think it's time >to buy a new printer. The printouts are slightly tilted to the left, >and I nothing I've tried has fixed it. > >I was hoping someone could recommend an inkjet to me. My requirements >are: > >1) Excellent OS/2 and Linux support >2) Parallel-port interface (not USB) >3) Reasonably-priced cartridges (I'm not interested in printers that >are really cheap but use expensive cartridges) >4) No utility software required (my Optra 40 needs a "cartridge >utility" to change /align cartridges and clean the nozzles, and I >hate that) > >Since I can't use USB, I know my options are limited. Matt W...

[News] More Embedded Linux and Linux-adjunct Hardware

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers
http://www.linux-drivers.org/ ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS were ever to grind to a halt. Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the possibilities would be even greater. Do others consider it would have been desirable? -- Jess Iyonix contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Hotmail is my spam trap - don't email valid - mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on > other platforms. > These starting points might help. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/ http://rox.sourceforg...

linux os
Hi all, is anyone actually running Radius server? Is it difficult to set it up? T ...

My Linux is not your Linux

Print from an OS 9.2 App. to the OS X Printer
Hi I bought a new HP Laserjet 1015 and installed it on the iMac running OS X. It prints fine from OS X over a USB line. The application of our business uses still OS 9.2 and I can't print from that application. It wants to print to the old Laserwriter 320 on the LAN (and that takes forever). The disk has only one partition, I can't start the iMac from OS 9.2, at least I wouldn't know how. Any help where to change that? Greets Thomas -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ T.F. Howald |It's difficult to soar with eagles,| Otto Howa...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind News search site ,----[ Quote ] | All along, Google has defended News saying that it is protected by | the fair use principle -- because it only reproduces headlines, text | snippets and thumbnail images -- and that it provides great benefit | to media Web sites by sending them readers. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;535941450;fp;;fpid;;pf;1 ...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Which Linux OS
We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux? Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval, or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS? Thanx, Gerald S. wrote: > We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux? > > Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval, > or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS? > > Thanx, > > I've found Debian works well for testing, esp. considering that it's for testing, and not production (no support). Bricklen wrote: > Gerald S. wrote: > >> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux? >> >> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my >> eval, >> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS? >> >> Thanx, >> >> > I've found Debian works well for testing, esp. considering that it's for > testing, and not production (no support). Bricklen, if you've got any tips for installing onto Debian, I'd love to hear them. (Actually, I'd quite like a CD set of Debian, too, while you're at it!!). Best Regards HJR On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:23:44 +0000, Gerald S. banged his/her head on the keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind: > We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux? > > Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that...

Why linux is linux

Accessing OS 9 Shared Printer from OS 10.2
Hi Everyone... I have a shared Epson USB printer connected to an iMac running OS 9. I shared it through the "USB Printer Sharing" control panel. I am trying to find a way to access it from on OS 10.2.8 iBook. I can't seem to figure out how to install it in the Printer Dialog. Any ideas would be great! Much thanks in advance! Jameson <jameson_ray@comcast.net> wrote: > I have a shared Epson USB printer connected to an iMac running OS 9. I > shared it through the "USB Printer Sharing" control panel. I am trying > to find a way to access it from on OS 10.2.8 iBook. I can't seem to > figure out how to install it in the Printer Dialog. Any ideas would be > great! Much thanks in advance! I don't think it is possible to share a printer between an OS9 and a OSX machine. -- Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/ Johan W. Elzenga <nomail@please.invalid> wrote: > I don't think it is possible to share a printer between an OS9 and a OSX > machine. You can do it through Classic but it's available only to Classic apps. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius In article <52a2ddbd.0407080820.3e50e0b7@posting.google.com>, jameson_ray@comcast.net (Jameson) wrote...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

[News] A Look at Element OS and Introduction to Peppermint OS (GNU/Linux)

Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
IT Sstandrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness ,----[ Quote ] | To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the | ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise | contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to | encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal | contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly | before 5th February 2007. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_dis ...

[News] [Linux] Linux and Open Source Hardware Among the Threats to Cisco
Is Cisco Unstoppable? Five Threats to the Networking Giant's Empire ,----[ Quote ] | 2. Open Source Hardware: When MIT researchers helped to build a | wireless network for some city residents in New England, the | researchers used commodity hardware and open source software to | piece together a solution. Now, open source network hardware | companies like Vyatta are starting to pop up. | | [...] | | 1. Asterisk: Much in the way that Microsoft worries about Red | Hat Linux and Ubuntu Linux on the server and desktop, respectively, | Cisco has to worry about Asterisk in the voice-over-IP a...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Web resources about - Printer - comp.os.linux.hardware

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This $99 device turns your phone into a 3D printer
VIDEO: It uses a special resin and the light from your screen. 3D printers can be pretty expensive, but a company called OLO has created a new ...

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This portable printer fits in your laptop bag
We live in the digital age but sometimes you have to get a little old school. Plenty of people don't even own printers anymore, or they rely ...