setup external scsi tape drive

I am completely new to linux, have some SCO background.
We 'inherited' 2 years old Dell box running under RedHat 7.3 with
external HP SureStore 24DAT drive. I know tape has been used
successfully.

I need to do a backup and I don't know how to address the drive.

I am trying to reach the drive:
[root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
/dev/st0: No such device
[root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/sg0 status
/dev/sg0: Operation not permitted
[root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/tape status
/dev/tape: No such device
[root@ford /]# tar tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device

This command:
[root@ford /]# tar tvf /dev/sg0
would sit and wait and not return and I do not see the tape drive is
working, so I would have to ctrl-c it.

Please point me to right direction.

About the system.
After reading some posts on this Group I think this info would be
relevant:

[root@ford /]# uname -srv
Linux 2.4.18-10 #1 Wed Aug 7 11:39:21 EDT 2002

[root@ford /]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS10K3_36_SCA Rev: 120G
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS10K3_36_SCA Rev: 120G
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP  Rev: 1.29
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

[root@ford /]# lsmod
ide-tape               54880   0  (autoclean)
sg                     34052   0
st                     29108   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ftape                 124840   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ide-cd                 30272   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  32032   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
soundcore               6500   0  (autoclean)
nfs                    88028   0  (autoclean)
lockd                  56960   0  (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc                 78516   0  (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
autofs                 11972   0  (autoclean) (unused)
e100                   76116   1
usb-ohci               20608   0  (unused)
usbcore                71904   1  [usb-ohci]
ext3                   67328   7
jbd                    49528   7  [ext3]
aic7xxx               128000   8
sd_mod                 12960  16
scsi_mod              109392   4  [sg st aic7xxx sd_mod]

dmesg outputs 208 lines, I don't want to create huge post, some
excerpts:

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.6
        <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
        aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.6
        <Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

scsi2 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.6
        <Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: ATLAS10K3_36_SCA  Rev: 120G
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: ATLAS10K3_36_SCA  Rev: 120G
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
  Vendor: DELL      Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP   Rev: 1.29
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi1:A:0:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 253
scsi1:A:1:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 253
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
(scsi1:A:0): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 >
(scsi1:A:1): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
SCSI device sdb: 71132959 512-byte hdwr sectors (36420 MB)
 sdb: sdb1
ftape v3.04d 25/11/97
(c) 1993-1996 Bas Laarhoven (bas@vimec.nl)
(c) 1995-1996 Kai Harrekilde-Petersen (khp@dolphinics.no)
(c) 1996-1997 Claus-Justus Heine (claus@momo.math.rwth-aachen.de)
QIC-117 driver for QIC-40/80/3010/3020 floppy tape drives
Compiled for Linux version 2.4.18-10 with versioned symbols
[000] ftape-init.c (ftape_init) - installing QIC-117 floppy tape
hardware drive ... .
[001] ftape-init.c (ftape_init) - ftape_init @ 0xe0a3c060.
[002]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #1 @ c49d83a0, dma
area @ c0ad8000.
[003]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #2 @ c49d8ba0, dma
area @ c0908000.
[004]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #3 @ c49d8620, dma
area @ c0900000.
[005]   ftape-calibr.c (time_inb) - inb() duration: 1699 nsec.
[006]  ftape-calibr.c (ftape_calibrate) - TC for `ftape_udelay()' =
106 nsec (at 40959 counts).
[007]  ftape-calibr.c (ftape_calibrate) - TC for `fdc_wait()' = 3383
nsec (at 2559 counts).
Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
[root@ford /]#

I am really confused with QIC tape showing here - there is no such
h/w.
Regards,
Migur.
0
migurus (75)
10/9/2004 1:50:52 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

migur <migurus@yahoo.com> wrote:

[You have an external HP SureStore 24 DAT drive.]

> [root@ford /]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi

[no tape device]

> dmesg outputs 208 lines, I don't want to create huge post, some
> excerpts:

[no tape device]

> ftape v3.04d 25/11/97
> (c) 1993-1996 Bas Laarhoven (bas@vimec.nl)
> (c) 1995-1996 Kai Harrekilde-Petersen (khp@dolphinics.no)
> (c) 1996-1997 Claus-Justus Heine (claus@momo.math.rwth-aachen.de)
> QIC-117 driver for QIC-40/80/3010/3020 floppy tape drives
> Compiled for Linux version 2.4.18-10 with versioned symbols
> [000] ftape-init.c (ftape_init) - installing QIC-117 floppy tape
> hardware drive ... .
> [001] ftape-init.c (ftape_init) - ftape_init @ 0xe0a3c060.
> [002]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #1 @ c49d83a0, dma
> area @ c0ad8000.
> [003]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #2 @ c49d8ba0, dma
> area @ c0908000.
> [004]   ftape-buffer.c (add_one_buffer) - buffer nr #3 @ c49d8620, dma
> area @ c0900000.
> [005]   ftape-calibr.c (time_inb) - inb() duration: 1699 nsec.
> [006]  ftape-calibr.c (ftape_calibrate) - TC for `ftape_udelay()' =
> 106 nsec (at 40959 counts).
> [007]  ftape-calibr.c (ftape_calibrate) - TC for `fdc_wait()' = 3383
> nsec (at 2559 counts).
> Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
> Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
> Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
> [root@ford /]#
>
> I am really confused with QIC tape showing here - there is no such
> h/w.

The really confusing part is where both dmesg and /proc/scsi/scsi
completely fail to list your DAT drive in any way, as a device hanging
off a SCSI chain.  Note that you _should_ get that sort of information
irrespective of driver support, as long as Linux has driver support for
the particular host adapter in question.  So:  What SCSI host adapter is
the HP connected to?  Are your kernel's information reports (e.g., dmesg)
acknowledging its existence?

Maybe you're loading the driver required to support the SCSI chain your
hard drives are on, but not the different driver required for a
_second_ host adapter, to which your HP DAT drive is connected?

That spastic behaviour from the ftape driver is annoying but a lesser
concern, I think.  If memory serves, you should be able to prevent it
from loading by putting a line like this in /etc/modules.conf :

alias ftape off

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.

0
rick76 (566)
10/9/2004 3:28:05 AM
Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote in message news:<9VI9d.50$Ve3.0@fe39.usenetserver.com>...
> migur <migurus@yahoo.com> wrote:

.... snip ...

> The really confusing part is where both dmesg and /proc/scsi/scsi
> completely fail to list your DAT drive in any way, as a device hanging
> off a SCSI chain.  Note that you _should_ get that sort of information
> irrespective of driver support, as long as Linux has driver support for
> the particular host adapter in question.  So:  What SCSI host adapter is
> the HP connected to?  Are your kernel's information reports (e.g., dmesg)
> acknowledging its existence?
>
> Maybe you're loading the driver required to support the SCSI chain your
> hard drives are on, but not the different driver required for a
> _second_ host adapter, to which your HP DAT drive is connected?
>
> That spastic behaviour from the ftape driver is annoying but a lesser
> concern, I think.  If memory serves, you should be able to prevent it
> from loading by putting a line like this in /etc/modules.conf :
>
> alias ftape off

This is too much for me, I am not h/w man at all.
Would you post a pointer for me how to re-define tape devise?
I appreciate it,
Migurus.
0
migurus (75)
10/12/2004 10:31:08 PM
migur <migurus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is too much for me, I am not h/w man at all.
> Would you post a pointer for me how to re-define tape devise?
> I appreciate it,

I'd help you, except I don't understand your question in this context.

Let me try to paraphrase what I was saying, earlier:  You posted the
output from dmesg and the contents of /proc/scsi/scsi.  That was a very
good idea on your part, and was most helpful -- because, if your running
kernel had even seen the _adapter_ that your SCSI-based HP DAT drive is
connected to, we would have seen it listed among the enumerated devices.

Since it was _not_ so listed, I strongly suspect that your running
kernel doesn't have the driver for whatever SCSI adapter your HP DAT
drive is connected to.

Which in turn prompted my question:  What SCSI adapter _is_ that?  What
chip does it use?  Once you produce that information, someone here can
inform you about what driver it requires, and maybe help you make sure
it gets loaded at boot time.

If you don't know the answer to that question, open up the computer
case, trace the SCSI cable from the back of the HP DAT drive to its
other end, and figure out what SCSI card or motherboard-embedded SCSI
chip is driving it.  Post that information back to this newsgroup,
preferably with a short, concise reminder about the nature of your
problem (since people aren't going to keep those details in mind).

What I said about putting "alias ftape off" into /etc/modules.conf
was in response to your expressing surprise and perplexity about the
ftape driver loading during bootup:  Making that change will _prevent_
that driver from loading, since plainly it should not.

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.

0
rick76 (566)

Web resources about - setup external scsi tape drive - comp.os.linux.hardware

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

BuzzFeed Tries Out an External Banner Ad
... the NBCUniversal streaming comedy service Seeso, over the weekend. The digital media site has long favored custom-made native ads over external ...

More on AMD’s XConnect Tech: Thunderbolt 3 for External Radeons
... AMD issued a driver update that brought support for a new technology, XConnect. In a nutshell, XConnect is AMD’s trade name for running external ...

AMD wants to standardize the external GPU
(credit: Robert Hallock) AMD hints that it's working on a new external graphics card solution that promises to be "the answer" to "ultrathin" ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Three external hard drives up to 5TB are on sale at deep discounts on Amazon
... it's always worth considering. Well wouldn't you know it, Amazon is currently offering bigger-than-normal discounts on three different external ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

EMEA external storage market continues to decline in 4Q15 but all-flash adoption soars, says IDC
The total EMEA external storage systems value fell 7.5% on year to US$2.08 billion in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to IDC's EMEA Quarterly ...

Razer's 'Core' external GPU ships in April for $500
Razer announced pricing and availability for its new Core external graphics box at GDC on Wednesday. The device is available for pre-order starting ...