usb external drives not reliable for linux?

Hi,

I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system.
I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this
message:

  ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it mounted
in sync mode.

cts
0
Charles
6/21/2014 4:34:34 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Charles T. Smith wrote:

> I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system.
> I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this
> message:
>
>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>
> If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
> usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it mounted
> in sync mode.

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say check your Power Settings.
 It sounds like your external drive is being powered down due to lack
of activity.

If you gave more information like what distro you're using and what it's
running on, maybe, more than a guess can be offered.

Stef
0
Stef
6/22/2014 1:26:25 AM
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:34:34 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system.
> I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this
> message:
>
>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>
> If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
> usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it mounted
> in sync mode.

	You may have been unlucky enough to have bought a defective disk.
I have had several external USB disks attached to my Linux system for
years, and have yet to have any problems with them.

0
Clark
6/22/2014 1:28:23 AM
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:34:34 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system.
> I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this
> message:
>
>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>
> If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
> usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it mounted
> in sync mode.
>
> cts

>> Okay, I may have found it: http://lwn.net/Articles/253587/
>>
>> But I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Well, I wasn't able to make progress with that.  But I noticed something
interesting...

My drive is mounted from /dev/disk/by-id.  Every time this event happens,
the device, /dev/sd?3, changes - first, it's at /dev/sdb3, then after
remount it's at /dev/sdc3, and then, the next time it happens, it goes
back to /dev/sdb3 again.
0
Charles
6/22/2014 1:41:14 PM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:41:14 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:
> Every time this event happens, the device, /dev/sd?3, changes - first,
> it's at /dev/sdb3, then after remount it's at /dev/sdc3, and then, the
> next time it happens, it goes back to /dev/sdb3 again.

The 'dmesg' command might be able to tell you something about what is
going on. Maybe as Stef says the disk is powered down. Maybe you have a
bad USB cable or a bad USB connector causing the disk to get unplugged
and replugged.

regards Henrik
hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost
0
Henrik
6/23/2014 5:13:49 AM
On 2014-06-22, Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:34:34 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system.
>> I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this
>> message:
>>
>>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>>
>> If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
>> usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it mounted
>> in sync mode.
>
> 	You may have been unlucky enough to have bought a defective disk.
> I have had several external USB disks attached to my Linux system for
> years, and have yet to have any problems with them.

     I have a "file server" setup to use an external USB drive. It chugs
along pretty much trouble free. It serves a number of Windows desktops and
is the only machine in that office that no one ever has to worry about.

     I also have used various external devices on my own desktop including
thumbdrives, USB hard drives, various mobile devices, an eSATA array, and
a USB SATA socket. These have never given me any trouble.

--
	Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is!      |||
								   / | \
with <slrnlqgf6i.c3d.jedi@nomad.mishnet> JEDIDIAH wrote:

*SKIP*
>      I also have used various external devices on my own desktop
>      including thumbdrives, USB hard drives, various mobile devices,
>      an eSATA array, and a USB SATA socket. These have never given me
>      any trouble.

Fast 2.0 USB thumb;  it has been in use (as a big diskette) for a year
(literally), then died.  Resetting controller didn't help.  It really
was fast -- provided ~20MB/s write speed.

SD card has been left without usage for a year then taken for a job (as
a big diskette).  After half year it started requiring massage for being
detected (plug-unplug cycles).  Then came the last time -- now it's 1GB
instead of 16GB.

(not mine) I took a challenge to heavy lift whatever possible from an
USB thumb.  When certain blocks had been accessed the thumb reset itself
-- I've made a script that used 'udevadm monitor' for wakeup detection
and lifted "whatever possible".  According to owner's report the thumb
was in use for a month (literally).

Two IRDA dongles -- never worked;  what's probably OK, they needed weird
setup.  When, after a pause (about a year) I'd made a second attempt
each just ceased to wakeup.

CDMA modem worked for a year (I wouldn't say flawlessly) developed a
requirement -- pppd had to be in within 10min, otherwise negotitions
would take forever.

UMTS modem worked for 4year (literally, it died 4y+2d after first
plug-in) (I wouldn't say flawlessly), then ZeroCD ceased to work with
block device errors present instead.

And not to mention USB closure!  When I'd tried it first time I'd pluged
in by-instructions and unplugged by-logic (reverse-in).  Then The Second
Move has(sic!) come -- I've unplugged by-instructions.  Putting a long
story short -- I've burned down one USB-host.  That was spectacular, no
flames though.

It has been put aside, then squeeze had come.  All DVD-images came out
with errors.  I've collected some stats -- no clear pattern.  So I've
made a script that lifted those 16 DVD-images.  It took some time
though.

I don't mention two UMTS modems with 'normal-termination-by-ncp' disease
-- that's on ISP side and I have no options.

I ain't no heavy user -- I have a couple of thumbs, developing a
collection of SD-cards, some USB-devices and such.  I've never faced
problems with cameras and recorders (whenever I've faced those).

Eric
6/24/2014 7:18:59 AM
Eric Pozharski wrote:

> with <slrnlqgf6i.c3d.jedi@nomad.mishnet> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
> *SKIP*
>>      I also have used various external devices on my own desktop
>>      including thumbdrives, USB hard drives, various mobile devices,
>>      an eSATA array, and a USB SATA socket. These have never given me
>>      any trouble.
>
> Fast 2.0 USB thumb;  it has been in use (as a big diskette) for a year
> (literally), then died.  Resetting controller didn't help.  It really
> was fast -- provided ~20MB/s write speed.
>
> SD card has been left without usage for a year then taken for a job
> (as
> a big diskette).  After half year it started requiring massage for
> being
> detected (plug-unplug cycles).  Then came the last time -- now it's
> 1GB instead of 16GB.
>
> (not mine) I took a challenge to heavy lift whatever possible from an
> USB thumb.  When certain blocks had been accessed the thumb reset
> itself -- I've made a script that used 'udevadm monitor' for wakeup
> detection
> and lifted "whatever possible".  According to owner's report the thumb
> was in use for a month (literally).
>
> Two IRDA dongles -- never worked;  what's probably OK, they needed
> weird
> setup.  When, after a pause (about a year) I'd made a second attempt
> each just ceased to wakeup.
>
> CDMA modem worked for a year (I wouldn't say flawlessly) developed a
> requirement -- pppd had to be in within 10min, otherwise negotitions
> would take forever.
>
> UMTS modem worked for 4year (literally, it died 4y+2d after first
> plug-in) (I wouldn't say flawlessly), then ZeroCD ceased to work with
> block device errors present instead.
>
> And not to mention USB closure!  When I'd tried it first time I'd
> pluged
> in by-instructions and unplugged by-logic (reverse-in).  Then The
> Second
> Move has(sic!) come -- I've unplugged by-instructions.  Putting a long
> story short -- I've burned down one USB-host.  That was spectacular,
> no flames though.
>
> It has been put aside, then squeeze had come.  All DVD-images came out
> with errors.  I've collected some stats -- no clear pattern.  So I've
> made a script that lifted those 16 DVD-images.  It took some time
> though.
>
> I don't mention two UMTS modems with 'normal-termination-by-ncp'
> disease -- that's on ISP side and I have no options.
>
> I ain't no heavy user -- I have a couple of thumbs, developing a
> collection of SD-cards, some USB-devices and such.  I've never faced
> problems with cameras and recorders (whenever I've faced those).

[admin@raspberrypi ~]$ uptime
 07:31:48 up 398 days, 20:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.09

Raspberry PI model B

Has SD card and USB 32GB thumb drive

Runs DNS, News groups, Email and file serving services for LAN.

Cost efficient and very quiet.

0
Baho
6/24/2014 11:36:28 AM
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:36:28 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> [...]
>> flames though.
>>
>> It has been put aside, then squeeze had come.  All DVD-images came out
>> with errors.  I've collected some stats -- no clear pattern.  So I've
>> made a script that lifted those 16 DVD-images.  It took some time
>> though.
>>
>> I don't mention two UMTS modems with 'normal-termination-by-ncp'
>> disease -- that's on ISP side and I have no options.
>>
>> I ain't no heavy user -- I have a couple of thumbs, developing a
>> collection of SD-cards, some USB-devices and such.  I've never faced
>> problems with cameras and recorders (whenever I've faced those).
>>

> [admin@raspberrypi ~]$ uptime
>  07:31:48 up 398 days, 20:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.09
>
> Raspberry PI model B
>
> Has SD card and USB 32GB thumb drive
>
> Runs DNS, News groups, Email and file serving services for LAN.

Hey, that's cool.  I'd like to try that.  What brand flash drive did you
use?

0
Charles
6/24/2014 6:32:57 PM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:41:14 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:34:34 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux
>> system. I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I
>> get this message:
>>
>>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>>
>> If I cd away and back again, my directory is back.  Is that implicit in
>> usb or the drive?  Can a disk be made to not do that?  I have it
>> mounted in sync mode.
>>
>> cts
>
>>> Okay, I may have found it: http://lwn.net/Articles/253587/
>>>
>>> But I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
>

> Well, I wasn't able to make progress with that.  But I noticed something
> interesting...
>
> My drive is mounted from /dev/disk/by-id.  Every time this event
> happens, the device, /dev/sd?3, changes - first, it's at /dev/sdb3, then
> after remount it's at /dev/sdc3, and then, the next time it happens, it
> goes back to /dev/sdb3 again.

(that's determined from dmesg & /var/log/messages)

I'm still casting around in the dark...  I'm reasonably sure that it
happens primarily when I running on batteries.  But I can't find any
element that takes responsibility for shutting things down.

[ 6540.940526] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: Write(10): 2a 00 4d e0 11 c0 00 00
08 00
[ 6540.940550] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 1306530240
[ 6540.940557] Buffer I/O error on device sdb3, logical block 41222280
[ 6540.940563] lost page write due to I/O error on sdb3
[ 6541.076290] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
[ 6541.210515] scsi10 : usb-storage 2-4:1.0
[ 6542.209486] scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WD       Elements 1048
1025 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 6542.233160] sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 6542.233386] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 1953519616 512-byte logical blocks:
(1.00 TB/931 GiB)
[ 6542.235266] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
[ 6542.235276] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 47 00 10 08
[ 6542.237116] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page present
[ 6542.237126] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 6542.239882] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page present
[ 6542.239890] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 6542.792326] usb 2-4: reset high speed USB device number 6 using
ehci_hcd
[ 6542.916226] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6543.144049] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6543.360052] usb 2-4: reset high speed USB device number 6 using
ehci_hcd
[ 6543.484059] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6543.712077] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6543.928221] usb 2-4: reset high speed USB device number 6 using
ehci_hcd
[ 6544.344307] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 6, error -71
[ 6544.456234] usb 2-4: reset high speed USB device number 6 using
ehci_hcd
[ 6544.872227] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 6, error -71
[ 6544.872285] usb 2-4: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 6544.872782] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Unhandled error code
[ 6544.872790] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc]  Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 6544.872800] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
08 00
[ 6544.872826] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 6544.872835] Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
[ 6544.873884] ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
[ 6544.874083] Dev sdc: unable to read RDB block 0
[ 6544.874463]  sdc: unable to read partition table
[ 6544.874787] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] READ CAPACITY failed
[ 6544.874794] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc]  Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 6544.874804] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense not available.
[ 6544.874861] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
[ 6544.874868] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 6544.874876] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk

umounting and remounting clears it up.

I would have expected to find a msg in dmesg or /var/log/messages that
said something like "power control suspending usb power"  but I can't
find anything like that.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

0
Charles
6/24/2014 8:10:27 PM
Charles T. Smith wrote:

> [...]
>>> I've
>>> made a script that lifted those 16 DVD-images.  It took some time
>>> though.
>>>
>>> I don't mention two UMTS modems with 'normal-termination-by-ncp'
>>> disease -- that's on ISP side and I have no options.
>>>
>>> I ain't no heavy user -- I have a couple of thumbs, developing a
>>> collection of SD-cards, some USB-devices and such.  I've never faced
>>> problems with cameras and recorders (whenever I've faced those).
>>>

>> [admin@raspberrypi ~]$ uptime
>>  07:31:48 up 398 days, 20:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.12,
>>  0.09
>>
>> Raspberry PI model B
>>
>> Has SD card and USB 32GB thumb drive
>>
>> Runs DNS, News groups, Email and file serving services for LAN.
>>
>> Cost efficient and very quiet.
>

> Hey, that's cool.  I'd like to try that.  What brand flash drive did

generic usb thumb drive

0
Baho
6/24/2014 8:47:16 PM
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:10:27 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:
> [ 6540.940550] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 1306530240
> [ 6540.940557] Buffer I/O error on device sdb3, logical block 41222280
> [ 6540.940563] lost page write due to I/O error on sdb3
> [ 6541.076290] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device...

> I would have expected to find a msg in dmesg or /var/log/messages that
> said something like "power control suspending usb power"  but I can't
> find anything like that.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Looking at the time stamps above the new USB device is found 0.13 seconds
after the old USB device was lost. My guess is that you don't have some
kind of power control suspending the USB stick for 0.13 seconds. My guess
is that you instead have a flaky USB connector. This looks like a
hardware problem to me. Are you able to use other USB devices connected
to that USB port? Are you able to use that USB stick connected to other
computers?

regards Henrik
hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost
0
Henrik
6/25/2014 6:04:11 AM
On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 06:04:11 +0000, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:10:27 +0000, Charles T. Smith wrote:
>> [ 6540.940550] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 1306530240 [
>> 6540.940557] Buffer I/O error on device sdb3, logical block 41222280 [
>> 6540.940563] lost page write due to I/O error on sdb3 [ 6541.076290]
>> usb 2-4: new high speed USB device...
>
>> I would have expected to find a msg in dmesg or /var/log/messages that
>> said something like "power control suspending usb power"  but I can't
>> find anything like that.  Am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> Looking at the time stamps above the new USB device is found 0.13
> seconds after the old USB device was lost. My guess is that you don't
> have some kind of power control suspending the USB stick for 0.13
> seconds. My guess is that you instead have a flaky USB connector. This
> looks like a hardware problem to me. Are you able to use other USB
> devices connected to that USB port? Are you able to use that USB stick
> connected to other computers?
>
> regards Henrik

Well, it's a drive - the port is surely good, never had a problem.  The
drive is new ... it's not out of the realm of possibility that the cable
is poor (it's a WD drive, though).

In fact, though, I've been thinking along the lines of what somebody said
here somewhere: experimenting with the -S and -B options of the hdparm
utility.
0
Charles
6/25/2014 7:04:50 PM
Am Sun, 22 Jun 2014 01:26:25 +0000 schrieb Stef:

>>   ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

Hi all,

just my comment. We bought a 320 GB Disk and had no problems. So we were
happy. With a later bought 1000 GB we got the same errors and sent it
back. (It worked with Win*).

I read about and found that someone suggested this comes from
"the nfs3g driver under Linux, which was not adapted complete".

I ask for pardon, but I am just user and no expert and did not save any
sources regarding this issue. Perhaps it helps.

--
Wegen SPAM: Für e-mail verwenden: "errr" statt "erxr" oder mein Kontakt-
Formular auf www.pis-db.de  !
On 08/08/2014 12:59 PM, Ralf S. Hellersen wrote:
> Am Sun, 22 Jun 2014 01:26:25 +0000 schrieb Stef:
>
>>>    ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>
> Hi all,
>
> just my comment. We bought a 320 GB Disk and had no problems. So we were
> happy. With a later bought 1000 GB we got the same errors and sent it
> back. (It worked with Win*).
>
> I read about and found that someone suggested this comes from
> "the nfs3g driver under Linux, which was not adapted complete".
>
> I ask for pardon, but I am just user and no expert and did not save any
> sources regarding this issue. Perhaps it helps.

	Well I have a 1000 GiB external hard drive in a after market
cheap case and have no problems with it aside of having to chown it
usually after a fresh install.
	So seldom that I forget the procedure in the intervals.

	But USB itself has problems.
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28701124>

	Now I dunno how you have the disk formatted but it sounds since
it works with Windows that it must be NTFS?

	Now that works with my Mageia 4.1 in that I can read and write usually
to NTFS directories.  But it is not a Linux native system so
I suggest you re-partition that drive so that part according to your
work loads in the various OS you employ but so that you have not only
an NTFS partition but a Linux partition file system depending on use
but ext4 is great except for very large files.

	Now despite USB's critical flaws I am going back to watching my
show on my external hard drive played by my computer thru ,hdmi to the
32 inch full HD screen.

	bliss

0
Bobbie

Linux, Linux, Linux

external USB drive with i686 linux and Mac OS X.
Hi, all, How can I partition and format an external USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, 1/3 FAT 32 ? Paul On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > How can I partition and format an external > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, > 1/3 FAT 32 ? fdisk and mkfs? -- -John (john@os2.dhs.org) John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message news:<slrncc77ss.9af.john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org>... > On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > > > How can I partition an...

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Using external USB drives with Linux
I am currently running Fedora Core 3 and want to upgrade to FC 6. I am contenplating getting an external USB (or firewire) drive for backup during the upgrade (and for general backup use). I understand that some external drives come formatted NTFS, but I can deal with that. I would reformat it, probably as vfat, so I could also use it for backup under Windows. As long as my system recognizes the sdisk as a mass storage device, I know what to do. Are there any other potential problems. Are some drives recognizable only by Windows? I am considering an Iomega drive. Any comments ab...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

Booting Linux from an external USB drive
Hi All, I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing it on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (in which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required. To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get messages like: usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2 sd 8:0:0:...

question about USB external flash drive in linux
hi, I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20 lsmod output: Module Size Used by Not tainted usb-storage 75200 0 scsi_mod 110936 1 [usb-storage] ide-cd 35808 0 (autoclean) cdrom 34176 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd] autofs 13684 0 (autoclean) (unused) iptable_filter 2412 0 (autoclean) (unused) ip_tables 15864 1 [iptable_filter] tulip 44544 1 keybdev 2976 0 (unused) mousedev 5688 1 hi...

HOW to boot Linux from an external USB or FireWire drive
Linux News - USA IBM developerWorks has published a detailed technical article on booting Linux from external FireWire or USB drives, in conjunction with a boot floppy, USB ... <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2850840818.html> -- A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated. ...

external USB drive for Redhat linux 8.0
Hello. I am looking for an external USB drive for my linux machine(Redhat 8.0). I have heard that not many USB drives are compatible with linux. If so, can someone give me suggestions about which USB drive to buy that's known to work with linux machines? Thanks in advance Edy On 17 Jul 2003 15:21:55 -0700, eddie wang staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have heard that not many USB drives are compatible with linux. Where'd you hear that from? It isn't true. USB disks (and CD-RWs, and devices that emulate a disk like digital still cameras and "keychain drives"...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?
I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good solution to look into ... "wbsurfver@yahoo.com" <wbsurfver@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc67e501-2577-4df4-957c-bd76f7af7d09@c33g2000hsd.googlegroups.com... > > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow &...

Web resources about - usb external drives not reliable for linux? - comp.os.linux.hardware

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...