usb printer won't register

I've got a new usb printer for my dual boot pc I have not been able to
get working under linux.

I've tried booting into linux with the printer on as well as turning
it on after linux was running with no sucsess.  I'm sure the cable &
ports are fine as I can print under Windows.  I'm sure the basic usb
system is working under linux as I can connect my digital camera via
usb, & view the pictures.

"cat filename.txt > /dev/usb/lp0" does nothing but returns no errors.
I'm guessing the problem stems from the printer module not
registering.

I'm out of ideas of thigs to try, or to read up on.  Any more out
there?

no printer is mentioned in /proc/bus/usb/drivers

# cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
         usbdevfs
         hub
         usb-storage
  0- 15: usblp

lsmod reports printer as unused

# lsmod | grep printer
printer                 5632   0  (unused)
usbcore                48032   1  [printer usb-storage usb-uhci]
debian-on-windows-box:~# lsmod | grep usb
usb-storage            97152   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               20708   0  (unused)
usbcore                48032   1  [printer usb-storage usb-uhci]

dmesg does not report printer.c as registered

# dmesg
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 10:29:43 Apr 14 2002
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:04.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:04.3
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:04.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:04.2
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x733/0x430) is not claimed by any
active driver.
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x107e) is not claimed by any
active driver.
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
usb.c: ignoring set_interface for dev 2, iface 0, alt 0
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0
printer.c: v0.8:USB Printer Device Class driver
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow