Warning about Canon PIXMA iP3000/iP4000 series printers

We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
the right one.

The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.

However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
use their printers.  There is no printer control language (PCL)
documentation or PPD files available.  I called Canon's tech support
at 1-800-828-4040 and they refused to provide any technical
documentation to run their printers.  Charlie, the supervisor I spoke
with, said that they did not have that information, and that to have it
would be of no use to them.  I said, "Having the PCL documentation to
provide to people in the open source community so that they can write
drivers and open the market of millions of potential customers for
your printers from the NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux communities
is of no use to you?"  For the most part, he kept evading questions
about his statement.  He also said they write their own drivers even
though he kept claiming that they did not have the specifications to
write drivers.  He said the printers are made in Japan and they are
the only ones who have the driver documentation.  Yet he also claimed
to have no email address or phone number to contact the branch in
Japan.

In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
order to use their printers.

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.

comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:44:15 -0500, Vincent wrote:

> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
> the right one.
>
> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.

I recently bought an Epson Photo R320 - it has six individual ink tanks,
and there is a utility 'mtink' which shows ink levels on the computer.
Canon is well known in the Linux community for making boat anchors.

0
ray
6/8/2005 12:51:17 AM
If you do your research before you buy, you will find out exactly which
operating systems are supported.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Vincent" <newsposting1@crel.us> wrote in message
> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
> the right one.
>
> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.
>
> However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
> pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
> use their printers.  There is no printer control language (PCL)
> documentation or PPD files available.  I called Canon's tech support
> at 1-800-828-4040 and they refused to provide any technical
> documentation to run their printers.  Charlie, the supervisor I spoke
> with, said that they did not have that information, and that to have it
> would be of no use to them.  I said, "Having the PCL documentation to
> provide to people in the open source community so that they can write
> drivers and open the market of millions of potential customers for
> your printers from the NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux communities
> is of no use to you?"  For the most part, he kept evading questions
> about his statement.  He also said they write their own drivers even
> though he kept claiming that they did not have the specifications to
> write drivers.  He said the printers are made in Japan and they are
> the only ones who have the driver documentation.  Yet he also claimed
> to have no email address or phone number to contact the branch in
> Japan.
>
> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.
>

> --
> Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
> Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
> http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html

0
Cari
6/8/2005 12:58:47 AM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:44:15 -0500, Vincent <newsposting1@crel.us>
wrote:

>However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
>pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
>use their printers

Install Zone Alarm (free firewall) and you can have it block all
outgoing traffic from those spyware.  As far as the spyware's
concerned you have a lousy internet connection and can't transmit
anything at all.
too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Impmon
6/8/2005 1:51:20 AM
Vincent wrote:

> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 .....
>
> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.

There were earlier models that had such tanks.

> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.

Canon is, but others aren't. I discovered Turboprint has drivers for most of
the Canon models; they list the Pixma i3000, et al., as supported.

Check http://www.turboprint.de/printers.html for further information.

Al Preston
0
aprestn5
6/8/2005 2:20:25 AM
> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.

Boycotting the open source community?  Me thinks you are barking up the
wrong tree.

ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

I see the Pixus 4100 and 3100, which are the US Pixma 4000 and 3000
respectivly.  These are binary only, not open source, but they are they
do have linux drivers.  I'm told they even work with the 4000R, but
I've not tested this personaly as I'm a cheap bastard and only own the
iP3000 and mP760.

BSD couldn't tell ya, but but Linux drives exist.  They won't help you
install them, or at least that's what they told me, but if your running
linux/bsd you should expect this.

I also read somewhere that old mac systems require something about
installing in classic mode?  I don't know what that means, but could be
worth looking into.  It might mean your cruddy pos old BJ drivers might
print on it.

Even if these drivers didn't exist you could always use TurboPrint.
Sure it's not open source, sure it costs about USD$39.  But it is an
option.

0
zakezuke
6/8/2005 2:42:02 AM
Vincent wrote:
> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
> quite so much on ink.

But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
  Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is no free
lunch.
0
Frederick
6/8/2005 2:52:56 AM
> But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
> Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?
> There is no free lunch.

Why not Ilford?  Will Ilford not last?  I have many friends who used
the S520 with Ilford paper which IIRC uses the same ink.

So it's 64c a sheet.   Ilford's Galerie fetches about 60c a sheet at
the local camera shop.  Costco's Kirland paper made by a *cough*
unnamed Swiss maker for 15c a sheet.

0
zakezuke
6/8/2005 3:51:23 AM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:52:56 +1200, Frederick
<nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

>But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
>  Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is no free
>lunch.

9 out of 10 times a cheap photo paper will work.  Just hang them
behind glass to prevent fading due to sunlight exposure.
too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Impmon
6/8/2005 3:54:52 AM
Impmon wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:52:56 +1200, Frederick
> <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>

>>But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
>> Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is no free
>>lunch.
>

> 9 out of 10 times a cheap photo paper will work.  Just hang them
> behind glass to prevent fading due to sunlight exposure.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105461,pg,3,00.asp

Not up to date with the latest printers, but you still might find it
interesting.
I think your 9 out of 10 may be optimistic, but that of course depends
on what "will work" means.
0
Frederick
6/8/2005 4:57:38 AM
Impmon (impmon@digi.mon) writes:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:44:15 -0500, Vincent <newsposting1@crel.us>
> wrote:
>
>>However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
>>pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
>>use their printers
>
> Install Zone Alarm (free firewall) and you can have it block all
> outgoing traffic from those spyware.  As far as the spyware's
> concerned you have a lousy internet connection and can't transmit
> anything at all.
> --

I use lexmrk and am considering switching to Canon for my next printer
because Lexmark's mexican-made carts band too much.  I do all my printing
off-line and use a laser for web stuff.  Does the spyware operate when the
printer is not being used?

Brendan

ck183
6/8/2005 5:11:38 AM
> I use lexmrk and am considering switching to Canon for my next printer
> because Lexmark's mexican-made carts band too much.  I do all my printing
> off-line and use a laser for web stuff.  Does the spyware operate when the
> printer is not being used?

Good choice.  Lexmark is one if not the most expensive printer to
operate per page, and doesn't justify it self with quality.  Canon is
at the other end of the scale, where HP and Epsons are rather in the
middle.  Each has their own charms and features.

I rather thought that Lexmarks phoned home, but this could just be Dell
printers.  I've seen the Dell lexmark phone home, but they are polite
enough to tell you what they are sending.

My Epson from time to time has asked to phone home, I said no.  It
never said why.

I have NEVER noticed my Canon trying to phone home.  I'm not saying it
doesn't, only I've never see a firewall warning about the software it
installed.

Keep in mind that the parent is a frustrated rant about the existence
of Linux and BSD drivers.  Frustrated due to deal with technical
support who love to give answers with many words but say absolutely
nothing.  I am most empathetic, in fact I just had the bounce around
asking simple yes or no questions and getting conditional responces.
But it's inaccurate on the point of Linux drivers, they do infect exist
on Japan's ftp site.  Hard to find as they are listed as being for the
Pixus where everywhere else it's the Pixma.  I suspect they were
meaning that Windows is likely to get infected with spyware where linux
isn't a target.

0
zakezuke
6/8/2005 5:52:44 AM
> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/canon-faq.html#free_software_support

I don't even see the iP3000 in the printer database
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Canon).  You might
consider adding what you know to it.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

0
Andrew
6/8/2005 7:20:29 AM
In article <1%wpe.267549$Yr4.53774@fe07.news.easynews.com>,
andrex@deadspam.com says...
> > In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> > trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> > order to use their printers.

There is a really BIG difference between being boycotted and being ignored.
I think probably Canon is doing the later, not the former.

Since Canon doesnt promise any support for other platforms, why would you
expect to get any?

A boycott requires concious effort, and I dont think there is any.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
| We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 ....
| In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community
| and trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms
| in order to use their printers.

Vincent ....

   I've been using a Canon Pixma iP3000 inkjet printer
   under Debian GNU/Linux Sarge for about 6 months ....

   It was configured through the KDE Control Center
   to use the Canon BJ-7004 driver with CUPS ....

   In the vernacular of  linuxprinting.org
   it seems to "mostly work" ....

   There are some font-size issues when printing
   from KDE applications that I haven't resolved
   as yet but feel may be easily correctable
   with proper font settings ....

   This seems to be less problematic when printing
   documents from  gtklp  instead of directly
   through KDE ....

   We bought this printer to use on an old Win98_SE machine
   and I consider it a very nice bonus that it also
   "mostly works" under Linux ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

Cousin
6/8/2005 12:12:11 PM
I do think that Canon Photo Paper Pro is about the very best and also
very expensive.  I now use Costco/Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper and I find
that with OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th the cost.
The basic difference is in the finish.  Canon is like a pond frozen
without wind, a still sheet of glass. Costco is like a pond frozen with
a 3mph wind.

I have also tried Epson matte paper and it is just find.  I do prefer
glossy for 4x6 and since I put enlargements behind glass I do not see
the value of a matte finish.

Frederick wrote:

> Vincent wrote:
>
>> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
>> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
>> quite so much on ink.
>

> But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium
> paper.  Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is
> no free lunch.
0
measekite
6/8/2005 3:31:17 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
>>Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?
>>There is no free lunch.
>>

>Why not Ilford?  Will Ilford not last?  I have many friends who used
>the S520 with Ilford paper which IIRC uses the same ink.

Some say that Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper made in Switzerland is mgf by
Ilford.  It may even be to the same specs and Gallerie but in any event
it is real good; especially at 15 cents a sheet.

>So it's 64c a sheet.   Ilford's Galerie fetches about 60c a sheet at
>the local camera shop.  Costco's Kirland paper made by a *cough*
>unnamed Swiss maker for 15c a sheet.

0
measekite
6/8/2005 3:45:00 PM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:54:52 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:52:56 +1200, Frederick
><nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>>But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
>>  Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is no free
>>lunch.
>
>9 out of 10 times a cheap photo paper will work.  Just hang them
>behind glass to prevent fading due to sunlight exposure.

Polycarbonate will work better.  It tends to block UV light better
than glass.

MCheu
0
MCheu
6/8/2005 5:22:26 PM
measekite wrote:

> I do think that Canon Photo Paper Pro is about the very best and also
> very expensive.  I now use Costco/Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper and I find
> that with OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th the cost.
> The basic difference is in the finish.  Canon is like a pond frozen
> without wind, a still sheet of glass. Costco is like a pond frozen with
> a 3mph wind.

Hmmm, very poetic illustrations - and the figure of 98% quoted, obvious-
ly, was done with scientific measuring instruments ;-).  Okay...

I find that with my non OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th
the cost (Where have I heard that before?). And The basic difference is
in the finish.  Canon inks are like Don McLean's "Vincent" - "Flaming
flowers that brightly blaze swirling clouds in violet haze". And my
non-OEM inks are more Donovanesque: "Color in sky prussian blue, scarlet
fleece changes hue, crimson ball sinks from view." Though some have
argued that they're more like in the Mamas & Papas song "All the leaves
are brown and the sky is grey".

And you cannot buy Canon Photo Paper Pro paper for a song, even though
its quality (my opinion) is nothing to whistle at. Left unprotected in
light, Photo Paper Pro prints will quickly turn "A Whiter Shade Of
Pale". All around, it's no better than any of a dozen or so papers I've
tried, sometimes worse. And OEM or non OEM ink makes little difference.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
6/8/2005 5:36:41 PM
Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers being
only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great river that
brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your alliterative phrases recall
Hemmingway's descriptions of his surroundings as he participated in a hunt
or a fishing trip.  So glad that Measekite, through his flowery description
of Canon paper and  OEM inks,  inspired this gifted response.  I have
actually found the Kirkland Glossy photo paper to be 2.549 (rounded to three
decimal places) percent better than Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks
to be within the same color spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on my
$29,000 digital spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are obtained at
1/7th the cost for the paper (per Measekite's extremely accurate
calculation) and 1/12th the cost for inks as compared to retail, or 1/9th
the cost if compared to Costco (per measekite's previous posts).

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> measekite wrote:
>
>> I do think that Canon Photo Paper Pro is about the very best and also
>> very expensive.  I now use Costco/Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper and I find
>> that with OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th the cost.  The
>> basic difference is in the finish.  Canon is like a pond frozen without
>> wind, a still sheet of glass. Costco is like a pond frozen with a 3mph
>> wind.
>>

> Hmmm, very poetic illustrations - and the figure of 98% quoted, obvious-
> ly, was done with scientific measuring instruments ;-).  Okay...
>
> I find that with my non OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th
> the cost (Where have I heard that before?). And The basic difference is
> in the finish.  Canon inks are like Don McLean's "Vincent" - "Flaming
> flowers that brightly blaze swirling clouds in violet haze". And my
> non-OEM inks are more Donovanesque: "Color in sky prussian blue, scarlet
> fleece changes hue, crimson ball sinks from view." Though some have
> argued that they're more like in the Mamas & Papas song "All the leaves
> are brown and the sky is grey".
>
> And you cannot buy Canon Photo Paper Pro paper for a song, even though
> its quality (my opinion) is nothing to whistle at. Left unprotected in
> light, Photo Paper Pro prints will quickly turn "A Whiter Shade Of Pale".
> All around, it's no better than any of a dozen or so papers I've tried,
> sometimes worse. And OEM or non OEM ink makes little difference.
>
> -Taliesyn

0
Burt
6/8/2005 6:34:49 PM

Burt wrote:

>Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
>pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers being
>only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great river that
>brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your alliterative phrases recall
>Hemmingway's descriptions of his surroundings as he participated in a hunt
>or a fishing trip.  So glad that Measekite, through his flowery description
>of Canon paper and  OEM inks,  inspired this gifted response.  I have
>actually found the Kirkland Glossy photo paper to be 2.549

Will you please stop talking about your IQ?

>(rounded to three
>decimal places) percent better than Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks
>to be within the same color spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on my
>$29,000 digital spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are obtained at
>1/7th the cost for the paper (per Measekite's extremely accurate
>calculation) and 1/12th the cost for inks as compared to retail, or 1/9th
>the cost if compared to Costco (per measekite's previous posts).
>

>"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
>

>>measekite wrote:
>>

>>>I do think that Canon Photo Paper Pro is about the very best and also
>>>very expensive.  I now use Costco/Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper and I find
>>>that with OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th the cost.  The
>>>basic difference is in the finish.  Canon is like a pond frozen without
>>>wind, a still sheet of glass. Costco is like a pond frozen with a 3mph
>>>wind.
>>>

>>Hmmm, very poetic illustrations - and the figure of 98% quoted, obvious-
>>ly, was done with scientific measuring instruments ;-).  Okay...
>>
>>I find that with my non OEM ink I get about 98% as good results at 1/7th
>>the cost (Where have I heard that before?). And The basic difference is
>>in the finish.  Canon inks are like Don McLean's "Vincent" - "Flaming
>>flowers that brightly blaze swirling clouds in violet haze". And my
>>non-OEM inks are more Donovanesque: "Color in sky prussian blue, scarlet
>>fleece changes hue, crimson ball sinks from view." Though some have
>>argued that they're more like in the Mamas & Papas song "All the leaves
>>are brown and the sky is grey".
>>
>>And you cannot buy Canon Photo Paper Pro paper for a song, even though
>>its quality (my opinion) is nothing to whistle at. Left unprotected in
>>light, Photo Paper Pro prints will quickly turn "A Whiter Shade Of Pale".
>>All around, it's no better than any of a dozen or so papers I've tried,
>>sometimes worse. And OEM or non OEM ink makes little difference.
>>
>>-Taliesyn

0
measekite
6/8/2005 6:43:25 PM
measekite wrote:

>> Kirkland Glossy photo paper to be 2.549
>

> Will you please stop talking about your IQ?

hehehe...at least he has one to measure. :-)
Frank
0
Frank
6/8/2005 6:55:59 PM
Burt wrote:
> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
> pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers being
> only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great river that
> brings life and beauty to all creation.

Then I must thank Measekite, for he truly inspires us all to write
"creatively".... inspired, perhaps, by his very creative use of logic,
fact, and misinformation. And besides, who wouldn't be happy with
printer inks and papers that are "98%" as good as OEM; or in your case,
a little less at 97.554991 . . . :-)

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
6/8/2005 7:05:55 PM
> Burt wrote:
>> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
>> pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers
>> being only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great
>> river that brings life and beauty to all creation.
>
> Then I must thank Measekite, for he truly inspires us all to write
> "creatively".... inspired, perhaps, by his very creative use of logic,
> fact, and misinformation. And besides, who wouldn't be happy with
> printer inks and papers that are "98%" as good as OEM; or in your case,
> a little less at 97.554991 . . . :-)
>
> -Taliesyn

And that was rounded to six decimal places.  Sorry for the gross inaccuracy
induced by rounding.

0
Burt
6/8/2005 7:19:24 PM
Cousin Stanley wrote:

> | We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 ....
> | In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community
> | and trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms
> | in order to use their printers.
>
> Vincent ....
>
>    I've been using a Canon Pixma iP3000 inkjet printer
>    under Debian GNU/Linux Sarge for about 6 months ....
>
>    It was configured through the KDE Control Center
>    to use the Canon BJ-7004 driver with CUPS ....
>
>    In the vernacular of  linuxprinting.org
>    it seems to "mostly work" ....
>
>    There are some font-size issues when printing
>    from KDE applications that I haven't resolved
>    as yet but feel may be easily correctable
>    with proper font settings ....
>
>    This seems to be less problematic when printing
>    documents from  gtklp  instead of directly
>    through KDE ....
>
>    We bought this printer to use on an old Win98_SE machine
>    and I consider it a very nice bonus that it also
>    "mostly works" under Linux ....

Thanks for the information.  Can you tell us what maximum resolution
you are getting and what doesn't work when using the Canon BJ-7004
driver?

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html

0
Vincent
6/8/2005 7:53:21 PM
"Vincent" <newsposting1@crel.us> wrote in message
> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
> the right one.
>
> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.

Wow! Where have you been ???
Canon printers have offered these individual tanks for many years including
almost all S and I series and many BJC's.

> However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
> pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
> use their printers.  There is no printer control language (PCL)
> documentation or PPD files available.  I called Canon's tech support
> at 1-800-828-4040 and they refused to provide any technical
> documentation to run their printers.  Charlie, the supervisor I spoke
> with, said that they did not have that information, and that to have it
> would be of no use to them.  I said, "Having the PCL documentation to
> provide to people in the open source community so that they can write
> drivers and open the market of millions of potential customers for
> your printers from the NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux communities
> is of no use to you?"

Well considering 'PCL' is HP's proprietary control code language, and Canon
BubbleJets use a BJ print Engine (not HP).
Charlie was right. Serious software developers also rarely ring up the
technical support center in search of firmware/software code and would
instead contact corporate R&D

 >For the most part, he kept evading questions
> about his statement.  He also said they write their own drivers even
> though he kept claiming that they did not have the specifications to
> write drivers.  He said the printers are made in Japan and they are
> the only ones who have the driver documentation.  Yet he also claimed
> to have no email address or phone number to contact the branch in
> Japan.

He said the Tech Support Center does not have the information available (and
why would they). I hardly see that as 'evading questions'
www.canon.com .... click on the map for Japan.

> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.

No, it is called quality control and protection of intellectual property
rights.
Give Bill over at Microsoft a call and say "Hey Bill, Joe Blow here...how
bout getting that source code for your OS so I can write a couple pieces of
software". Manufactures (including Canon) have Developer programs. If you
want what is needed contact corporate, and request information on what it
takes to get on board.

0
PC
6/8/2005 10:35:26 PM
"ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:44:15 -0500, Vincent wrote:
>
>> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
>> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
>> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
>> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
>> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
>> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
>> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
>> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
>> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
>> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
>> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
>> the right one.
>>
>> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
>> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
>> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.
>
> I recently bought an Epson Photo R320 - it has six individual ink tanks,
> and there is a utility 'mtink' which shows ink levels on the computer.
> Canon is well known in the Linux community for making boat anchors.

That's odd, I know several folks with Canon printers on their Linux boxes.

0
PC
6/8/2005 10:36:47 PM

Taliesyn wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the
>> most pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and
>> papers being only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a
>> great river that brings life and beauty to all creation.
>

> Then I must thank Measekite, for he truly inspires us all to write
> "creatively".... inspired, perhaps, by his very creative use of logic,
> fact, and misinformation. And besides, who wouldn't be happy with
> printer inks and papers that are "98%" as good as OEM; or in your case,
> a little less at 97.554991 . . . :-)
>
> -Taliesyn

You need a haircut.
0
measekite
6/8/2005 10:39:34 PM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:52:56 +1200, Frederick
<nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

>Vincent wrote:
>> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
>> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
>> quite so much on ink.
>
>But if you want your prints to last, you should use Canon premium paper.
>  Have you checked the price of Canon premium papers?  There is no free
>lunch.

If you want prints to last you shouldn't be using a dye based and, in
particular, a Canon, printer in the first place.

 --

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
PC Medic wrote:

> "Vincent" <newsposting1@crel.us> wrote in message
>> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
>> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
>> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
>> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
>> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
>> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
>> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
>> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
>> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
>> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
>> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
>> the right one.
>>
>> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
>> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
>> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.
>>

> Wow! Where have you been ???
> Canon printers have offered these individual tanks for many years
> including almost all S and I series and many BJC's.

Are they transparent, so you can see the ink level, and separated from
the print heads, with no electronics in the cartridge to make it
expensive, with the cartridges and refills available at a reasonable
price?  If you can name other models that have been around for a while
that do, then I stand corrected.  Until now, the PIXMA's are the first
ones I have seen.

>> However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
>> pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
>> use their printers.  There is no printer control language (PCL)
>> documentation or PPD files available.  I called Canon's tech support
>> at 1-800-828-4040 and they refused to provide any technical
>> documentation to run their printers.  Charlie, the supervisor I spoke
>> with, said that they did not have that information, and that to have it
>> would be of no use to them.  I said, "Having the PCL documentation to
>> provide to people in the open source community so that they can write
>> drivers and open the market of millions of potential customers for
>> your printers from the NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux communities
>> is of no use to you?"
>
> Well considering 'PCL' is HP's proprietary control code language, and
> Canon BubbleJets use a BJ print Engine (not HP).

Yes, I know every manufacturer has their own term for it.  I referred
to it as a PCL in a generic sense because, even though HP uses it, it
was the best term I could think of without writing a sentence to
explain I was talking about a language to control a printer every time
I mentioned it.

> Charlie was right. Serious software developers also rarely ring up the
> technical support center in search of firmware/software code and would
> instead contact corporate R&D

Yes, and why is that?  Because we are too passive about just accepting
that it is ok for technical support to not have any technical
information to give you.  If they had said, sure you can have the PCL
docs and PPD file, what's your email address?  The time they spent on
the phone with me would have been about 1 minute rather than 15 or 20
minutes and I would have gone right out and bought one of their
printers.  Better yet, if the information was on their web site, they
would not have had a support call from me at all.  Which method of
operation sounds more profitable?

>  >For the most part, he kept evading questions
>> about his statement.  He also said they write their own drivers even
>> though he kept claiming that they did not have the specifications to
>> write drivers.  He said the printers are made in Japan and they are
>> the only ones who have the driver documentation.  Yet he also claimed
>> to have no email address or phone number to contact the branch in
>> Japan.
>>

> He said the Tech Support Center does not have the information available
> (and why would they). I hardly see that as 'evading questions'
> www.canon.com .... click on the map for Japan.

That is the attitude I am trying to get people to change.  The
question should be, "why wouldn't they?".  All it means to them is
more sales.  As long as people do not expect to get such information,
these companies are never going to change.

I tried to get corporate R&D contact information from the rep as well,
but he claimed not to have that either.  Without spending half the day
looking (so I maybe I over looked it) I could not find any email
addresses on the main canon site and the only contact info I found
from the Japan link was here

http://www.canon.com/about/group/list.html

This was from their "Canon Group Directory" link.  It is all over seas
numbers and no email.  So who do you call,

Headquarters, Yako Development Center, Tamagawa Plant, ... ?

I could probably rule out the Optics R&D Center.

I guess I could spend a bunch of time and money calling over seas,
starting with the number for Headquarters, and get referred from
department to department until I get the right people.  However, I am
not willing to do that because, after spending the time and money, I
would would most likely be unsuccessful.  If they are willing to
provide the information it should be available from the American web
site and/or the America tech support line.

>> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
>> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
>> order to use their printers.
>>

> No, it is called quality control and protection of intellectual property
> rights.
> Give Bill over at Microsoft a call and say "Hey Bill, Joe Blow here...how
> bout getting that source code for your OS so I can write a couple pieces
> of software". Manufactures (including Canon) have Developer programs. If
> you want what is needed contact corporate, and request information on what
> it takes to get on board.

That example has nothing to do with the situation.  I am not asking
Canon to release the source to their microcode or the equations to
their gate arrays.  Without the technical information to communicate
with their printer, it is useless.  It is like buying a Hayes modem
and not having any information on the Hayes command set.  If their
support department gets enough calls requesting such information,
saying they are not going to buy their product without it, then
eventually it might get it through their thick heads.

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html
0
Vincent
6/9/2005 12:33:53 AM
"Vincent" <newsposting1@crel.us> wrote in message

<snipped>
> Are they transparent, so you can see the ink level, and separated from
> the print heads, with no electronics in the cartridge to make it
> expensive, with the cartridges and refills available at a reasonable
> price?  If you can name other models that have been around for a while
> that do, then I stand corrected.  Until now, the PIXMA's are the first
> ones I have seen.

Absolutely - and that includes the vast array of aftermarket cartridges
available as well! You definitely will stand corrected on this one. The
Pixma's may have been the first ones you've seen, but that doesn't mean they
haven't been around. Ever see a child cover their eyes and say "you can't
see me because I have my eyes closed"? Canon has used these tanks since the
mid 1990's (maybe longer). As to recent models I've owned - BJC-3000 mfg'd
1999, s820 from 2002, i950 from 2003 and iP4000 from 2004, all used BCI-3 or
BCI-6 tanks. As to the issues with PCL and why Canon consumer tech support
couldn't speak to that has been more than adequately addressed by PC Medic.

Ron

<snipped>

0
Ron
6/9/2005 1:57:16 AM
>  If you can name other models that have been around for a while
>  that do, then I stand corrected.  Until now, the PIXMA's are the first
> ones I have seen.

Ummm, Epson.  They are not transparent but are simply tanks like canon.
 They are chipped to keep track of ink count and stop working when the
drop count hits a certain point.  Easy to find 3rd party ink,
refillable carts, or external ink tanks.  I wasn't happen with my Epson
but it's an option.  Some Brothers featured this as well but i'm not up
to date on their current models.

>  Yes, and why is that?  Because we are too passive about just accepting
>  that it is ok for technical support to not have any technical information to give you

Has consumer technical support ever been useful?  The job of consumer
level technical support is limited to what button to press, what
software to install, and all things that apply to general supported
use.  They offer NO technical support for Linux, only some drivers on
the Japanese site.  This is pretty spiffy.  Think 10 years ago when
your only options were pretty much Postscript, HP, or dotmatrix.

> That is the attitude I am trying to get people to change.  The
> question should be, "why wouldn't they?".  All it means to them is
> more sales.  As long as people do not expect to get such information,
> these companies are never going to change.

More sales 'eh.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but to them they
likely feel that the release of propriority information would run the
risk of devaluing their products.  Why but a Canon when you can use the
software they spend good money developing on some other printer.

Also you are trying to get world class support on consumer grade
equipment with MSRP of under $200.  And let's face it, it's not worth
it.  Now if you were to talk about the image runner series you get to
use this http://canon.codehost.com/.

I'm all for open standards, documented protocals, and freedom of
information.  But at the end of the day it's their choice to do this or
not,, and it's your choice to buy it or not.

> I tried to get corporate R&D contact information from the rep as well,
> but he claimed not to have that either.

Outside of calling Japan, you gotta learn how to play phone tag.  Gotta
learn how to say "well I've been to that department and they refered me
to you".  This applies whether you are trying to get proprioirty
information or a trivial part.

> However, I am not willing to do that because, after spending the time and money,

Tough.  They are under no moral or ethical obligation to provide you
with anything for free.  They're pretty cool providing what they do for
free.

> I am not asking Canon to release the source to their microcode or the equations
> to their gate arrays.  Without the technical information to communicate
> with their printer, it is useless.

I find my Canon ip3000 very useful. without any technical information
what so ever..  I plugged it in and it prints.  Does it's job perfectly
well.  Plenty of people using it under linux using the stock BJ drivers
or the one canon provides.  If that's inadquate there is always
Turboprint.  Sure it costs $40, but that is a very legit option.  You
could get ultra fancy and run on a platform that is supported and use
post script emulation.  Or if you don't like any off these soultions
pick a printer that has the features and docucumentation available to
you.  In the end that's the only language any company understands.

> It is like buying a Hayes modem and not having any information on the
> Hayes command set.

Or better yet, a modem that isn't hayes compatable.  Met a few of
those.  Not so bad with the supplied terminal software and manual.
Pretty useless without it.  So don't buy one.

0
zakezuke
6/9/2005 3:02:22 AM
Burt wrote:
> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
> pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers being
> only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great river that
> brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your alliterative phrases recall
> Hemmingway's descriptions of his surroundings as he participated in a hunt
> or a fishing trip.  So glad that Measekite, through his flowery description
> of Canon paper and  OEM inks,  inspired this gifted response.  I have
> actually found the Kirkland Glossy photo paper to be 2.549 (rounded to three
> decimal places) percent better than Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks
> to be within the same color spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on my
> $29,000 digital spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are obtained at
> 1/7th the cost for the paper (per Measekite's extremely accurate
> calculation) and 1/12th the cost for inks as compared to retail, or 1/9th
> the cost if compared to Costco (per measekite's previous posts).

Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup and at best you
are correct only to second decimal place.  Anything beyond 2 decimal
places has to be speculation.

Mickey
0
Mickey
6/9/2005 4:57:43 PM
"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
> Burt wrote:
>> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
>> pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers
>> being only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great
>> river that brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your alliterative
>> phrases recall Hemmingway's descriptions of his surroundings as he
>> participated in a hunt or a fishing trip.  So glad that Measekite,
>> through his flowery description of Canon paper and  OEM inks,  inspired
>> this gifted response.  I have actually found the Kirkland Glossy photo
>> paper to be 2.549 (rounded to three decimal places) percent better than
>> Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks to be within the same color
>> spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on my $29,000 digital
>> spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are obtained at 1/7th the cost
>> for the paper (per Measekite's extremely accurate calculation) and 1/12th
>> the cost for inks as compared to retail, or 1/9th the cost if compared to
>> Costco (per measekite's previous posts).
>>

> Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup and at best you are
> correct only to second decimal place.  Anything beyond 2 decimal places
> has to be speculation.
>
> Mickey

Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the Week,
and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain from doing battle
with you on this very critical and important issue.  Although it is
difficult for me to withhold the standard childish schoolyard taunts, the
innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents of flipping the bird, and
the sexual defamation of all your female relatives, I will observe the rules
of civility that are supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.  But only 2
decimal places?  For a subject that cries out for extremely accurate (as
well as poetic) reporting, 2 decimal places puts these statments in the
questionable realm of simple observation!  Would you want someone to
recommend photo papers and aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they
look damned good and don't harm your printer?  Where's your precise
investigative drive?  What deprivation have you suffered in your youthful
history that that would bring you to the point where you eschew iambic
pentameter and alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic
statement, "Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if
only Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!

Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of the
Aftermarket Club)

0
Burt
--------------080408070109010501070302

Burt wrote:

>"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
>>>pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and papers
>>>being only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a great
>>>river that brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your alliterative
>>>phrases recall Hemmingway's descriptions of his surroundings as he
>>>participated in a hunt or a fishing trip.  So glad that Measekite,
>>>through his flowery description of Canon paper and  OEM inks,  inspired
>>>this gifted response.  I have actually found the Kirkland Glossy photo
>>>paper to be 2.549 (rounded to three decimal places) percent better than
>>>Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks to be within the same color
>>>spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on my $29,000 digital
>>>spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are obtained at 1/7th the cost
>>>for the paper (per Measekite's extremely accurate calculation) and 1/12th
>>>the cost for inks as compared to retail, or 1/9th the cost if compared to
>>>Costco (per measekite's previous posts).
>>>

>>Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup and at best you are
>>correct only to second decimal place.  Anything beyond 2 decimal places
>>has to be speculation.
>>
>>Mickey
>>

>Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the Week, I just want to be The Asshole Of The Week
>

>and one Village Idiot like me is enough for one NG, I will refrain from doing battle
>with you on this very critical and important issue.  Although it is
>easy for me to withhold the standard childish schoolyard taunts, the
>innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents of flipping the bird, and
>the sexual defamation of all your female relatives, I will never observe the rules
>of civility that are supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.
>

>Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of the
>Aftermarket Club)

Well you must be happy because

*YOU
ARE
NOW
ASSHOLE
OF
THE
WEEK

AND

ASSHOLE
OF
THE
MONTH*

--------------080408070109010501070302

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Burt wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">"Mickey" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mickey@webster.com">&lt;mickey@webster.com&gt;</a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:11agt1kbk0tdne5@corp.supernews.com">news:11agt1kbk0tdne5@corp.supernews.com</a>...
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Burt wrote:
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the most
[...]

    <pre wrap="">Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup and at best you are
correct only to second decimal place.  Anything beyond 2 decimal places
has to be speculation.

Mickey
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the Week, I just want to be The Asshole Of The Week
  </pre>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">and one Village Idiot like me is enough for one NG, I will refrain from doing battle
with you on this very critical and important issue.  Although it is
easy for me to withhold the standard childish schoolyard taunts, the
innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents of flipping the bird, and
the sexual defamation of all your female relatives, I will never observe the rules
of civility that are supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.
  </pre>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of the
Aftermarket Club)

  </pre>
Well you must be happy because<br>
ARE<br>
NOW<br>
ASSHOLE<br>
OF<br>
THE <br>
WEEK<br>
AND <br>
ASSHOLE<br>
OF<br>
THE<br>

--------------080408070109010501070302--
0
measekite
6/9/2005 5:31:12 PM

Mickey wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> Why Taliesyn, I didn't realize that, in addition to being one of the
>> most pragmatic people on this NG with regard to printers, inks, and
>> papers being only a means to an end, your writing ebbs and flows as a
>> great river that brings life and beauty to all creation.  Your
>> alliterative phrases recall Hemmingway's descriptions of his
>> surroundings as he participated in a hunt or a fishing trip.  So glad
>> that Measekite, through his flowery description of Canon paper and
>> OEM inks,  inspired this gifted response.  I have actually found the
>> Kirkland Glossy photo paper to be 2.549 (rounded to three decimal
>> places) percent better than Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the MIS inks
>> to be within the same color spectrum at a 97.554991 accuracy level on
>> my $29,000 digital spectrometer.  These results, mind you, are
>> obtained at 1/7th the cost for the paper (per Measekite's extremely
>> accurate calculation) and 1/12th the cost for inks as compared to
>> retail, or 1/9th the cost if compared to Costco (per measekite's
>>

> Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup and at best you
> are correct only to second decimal place.  Anything beyond 2 decimal
> places has to be speculation.
>
> Mickey Mouse
0
measekite
6/9/2005 5:37:08 PM

measekite wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>>"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message

>>>Burt I can't agree with you.  I have the same setup.
>>>
>>>Mickey
>>>

>>Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the Week, I just want to be The Asshole Of The Week
>>

>>and one Village Idiot like me is enough for one NG, I will refrain from doing battle
>>with you on this very critical and important issue.  Although it is
>>easy for me to withhold the standard childish schoolyard taunts, the
>>innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents of flipping the bird, and
>>the sexual defamation of all your female relatives, I will never observe the rules
>>of civility that are supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.
>>

>>Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of the
>>Aftermarket Club)
>>

> Well you must be happy because
>
> *YOU
> ARE
> NOW
> ASSHOLE
> OF
> THE
> WEEK
>
> AND
>
> ASSHOLE
> OF
> THE
> MONTH*
0
measekite
6/9/2005 5:41:47 PM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:33:53 -0500, Vincent <newsposting1@crel.us>
wrote:

>>> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
>>> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
>>> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.
>>>

>> Wow! Where have you been ???
>> Canon printers have offered these individual tanks for many years
>> including almost all S and I series and many BJC's.
>
>Are they transparent, so you can see the ink level, and separated from
>the print heads, with no electronics in the cartridge to make it
>expensive, with the cartridges and refills available at a reasonable
>price?  If you can name other models that have been around for a while
>that do, then I stand corrected.  Until now, the PIXMA's are the first
>ones I have seen.

We had one, oh, 5-7 years ago. There were no refills used on it and we
ditched it as not worth having after about 18 months. So, yes, these
clear tanks have been around for a long time.

 --

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

At one time, I suggested to one OS producer that they require this of a
manufacturers in order for them to get the logo certification to
advertise their product as "compatible" with the OS.  That didn't go
over very well, so the next step might be for this to be required by law.

Currently, it is way too easy for a manufacturer to orphan a product by
never updating drivers for newer OSs or other features that come along.

Makes for way too much e-trash.

Art

PC Medic wrote:

> No, it is called quality control and protection of intellectual property
> rights.
> Give Bill over at Microsoft a call and say "Hey Bill, Joe Blow here...how
> bout getting that source code for your OS so I can write a couple pieces of
> software". Manufactures (including Canon) have Developer programs. If you
> want what is needed contact corporate, and request information on what it
> takes to get on board.

0
Arthur
6/10/2005 7:16:15 AM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> My hope is that one day legislation requires all computer peripheral
> manufacturers to guarantee their products will be supported with
> drivers for a certain number of years (perhaps 7 might be reasonable),
> so that should OSs change the drivers will support the current OS.

And I think the ink industry also ought to be regulated.

> At one time, I suggested to one OS producer that they require this of
> a manufacturers in order for them to get the logo certification to
> advertise their product as "compatible" with the OS.  That didn't go
> over very well, so the next step might be for this to be required by law.

The same should be for AfterMarket inks.

> Currently, it is way too easy for a manufacturer to orphan a product
> by never updating drivers for newer OSs or other features that come
> along.
>
> Makes for way too much e-trash.
>
> Art
>
> PC Medic wrote:
>

>> No, it is called quality control and protection of intellectual
>> property rights.
>> Give Bill over at Microsoft a call and say "Hey Bill, Joe Blow
>> here...how bout getting that source code for your OS so I can write a
>> couple pieces of software". Manufactures (including Canon) have
>> Developer programs. If you want what is needed contact corporate, and
>> request information on what it takes to get on board.

0
measekite
6/10/2005 2:22:41 PM
measekite wrote:

> And I think the ink industry also ought to be regulated.
>

> The same should be for AfterMarket inks.

You're a real idiot aren't you. Regulating the ink industry means you
have to start the regulation with the actual contract ink manufacturers.
Just where do you think they are located? Hint, English is not their
native tongue. The American government could never have any substantial
control over the ink industry and none is needed.
You're are still totally clueless. You post just to see your stupid sig
name on your monitor.
Get a frigging like!
Looser.
Frank
0
Frank
6/10/2005 2:44:49 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> And I think the ink industry also ought to be regulated.
>>

>> The same should be for AfterMarket inks.
>

> You're a real idiot aren't you. Regulating the ink industry means you
> have to start the regulation with the actual contract ink
> manufacturers. Just where do you think they are located? Hint, English
> is not their native tongue. The American government could never have
> any substantial control over the ink industry and none is needed.
> You're are still totally clueless. You post just to see your stupid
> sig name on your monitor.
> Get a frigging like!
> Looser.
> Frank

HEY DUMMY.  ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REGULATE THE SALES AND MARKETING END
OF IT.  WHAT CANNOT BE SOLD WILL NOT BE MANUFACTURED.

YOU ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID.  YOU MUST DRIVE A HUNDAI OR
A YUGO.
0
measekite
6/10/2005 2:53:10 PM
measekite wrote:

> HEY DUMMY.  ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REGULATE THE SALES AND MARKETING END
> OF IT.  WHAT CANNOT BE SOLD WILL NOT BE MANUFACTURED.
> YOU ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID.  YOU MUST DRIVE A HUNDAI OR
> A YUGO.

That statement shows your total lack of knowledge about import,
distribution and labeling laws which doesn't surprise me or probably
anyone else in this ng.
Get lost. You have nothing of value to add to this discussion and you
have never helped anyone in this ng with your lying bullshit and
misinformation.
You have real problems and need to seek immediate help.
Frank
0
Frank
6/10/2005 4:57:20 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> HEY DUMMY.  ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REGULATE THE SALES AND MARKETING
>> END OF IT.  WHAT CANNOT BE SOLD WILL NOT BE MANUFACTURED.
>> YOU ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID.  YOU MUST DRIVE A HUNDAI
>> OR A YUGO.
>

> That statement shows your total lack of knowledge about import,
> distribution and labeling laws which doesn't surprise me or probably
> anyone else in this ng.
> Get lost. You have nothing of value to add to this discussion and you
> have never helped anyone in this ng with your lying bullshit and
> misinformation.
> You have real problems and need to seek immediate help.
> Frank

SOS
0
measekite
6/10/2005 5:05:27 PM
measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>

>>> HEY DUMMY.  ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REGULATE THE SALES AND MARKETING
>>> END OF IT.  WHAT CANNOT BE SOLD WILL NOT BE MANUFACTURED.
>>> YOU ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID.  YOU MUST DRIVE A HUNDAI
>>> OR A YUGO.
>>

>> That statement shows your total lack of knowledge about import,
>> distribution and labeling laws which doesn't surprise me or probably
>> anyone else in this ng.
>> Get lost. You have nothing of value to add to this discussion and you
>> have never helped anyone in this ng with your lying bullshit and
>> misinformation.
>> You have real problems and need to seek immediate help.
>> Frank
>

> SOS

hahaha...Got'cha huh! When ever you paint yourself into a corner you
always reply with 3 grade level replies.
Well, you're already a done deal. You're now simply nothing more than ng
entertainment.
Frank
0
Frank
6/10/2005 5:11:31 PM
Burt wrote:
> "Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message

> Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the Week,
> and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain from doing battle
> with you on this very critical and important issue.  Although it is
> difficult for me to withhold the standard childish schoolyard taunts, the
> innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents of flipping the bird, and
> the sexual defamation of all your female relatives, I will observe the rules
> of civility that are supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.  But only 2
> decimal places?  For a subject that cries out for extremely accurate (as
> well as poetic) reporting, 2 decimal places puts these statments in the
> questionable realm of simple observation!  Would you want someone to
> recommend photo papers and aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they
> look damned good and don't harm your printer?  Where's your precise
> investigative drive?  What deprivation have you suffered in your youthful
> history that that would bring you to the point where you eschew iambic
> pentameter and alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic
> statement, "Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if
> only Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!
>
> Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of the
> Aftermarket Club)

Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus get
to you way too much.  Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink
supplier or paper.

Mickey
0
Mickey
6/10/2005 5:16:54 PM
I was being light and continuing to make fun of our least favorite
participant.  Not you, Mickey.  We're on the same page.

> Burt wrote:
>> "Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>
>> Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the
>> Week, and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain from
>> doing battle with you on this very critical and important issue.
>> Although it is difficult for me to withhold the standard childish
>> schoolyard taunts, the innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents
>> of flipping the bird, and the sexual defamation of all your female
>> relatives, I will observe the rules of civility that are supposed to
>> apply to newsgroup postings.  But only 2 decimal places?  For a subject
>> that cries out for extremely accurate (as well as poetic) reporting, 2
>> decimal places puts these statments in the questionable realm of simple
>> observation!  Would you want someone to recommend photo papers and
>> aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they look damned good and don't
>> harm your printer?  Where's your precise investigative drive?  What
>> deprivation have you suffered in your youthful history that that would
>> bring you to the point where you eschew iambic pentameter and
>> alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic statement,
>> "Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if only
>> Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!
>>
>> Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of
>> the Aftermarket Club)
>
> Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus get to
> you way too much.  Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink supplier or
> paper.
>
> Mickey

0
Burt
6/10/2005 5:19:31 PM
  :-*

Burt wrote:

>I was being light and continuing to make fun of our least favorite
>participant.  Not you, Mickey Mouse.  We're on the same page.
>
>"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>>Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of the
>>>Week, and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain from
>>>doing battle with you on this very critical and important issue.
>>>Although it is difficult for me to withhold the standard childish
>>>schoolyard taunts, the innane one-liners, the obscene written equivalents
>>>of flipping the bird, and the sexual defamation of all your female
>>>relatives, I will observe the rules of civility that are supposed to
>>>apply to newsgroup postings.  But only 2 decimal places?  For a subject
>>>that cries out for extremely accurate (as well as poetic) reporting, 2
>>>decimal places puts these statments in the questionable realm of simple
>>>observation!  Would you want someone to recommend photo papers and
>>>aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they look damned good and don't
>>>harm your printer?  Where's your precise investigative drive?  What
>>>deprivation have you suffered in your youthful history that that would
>>>bring you to the point where you eschew iambic pentameter and
>>>alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic statement,
>>>"Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if only
>>>Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!
>>>
>>>Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president of
>>>the Aftermarket Club)
>>>

>>Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus get to
>>you way too much.  Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink supplier or
>>paper.
>>
>>Mickey

0
measekite
6/10/2005 6:10:07 PM

Mickey wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> "Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>

>> Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of
>> the Week, and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain
>> from doing battle with you on this very critical and important issue.

8-)

>> Although it is difficult for me to withhold the standard childish
>> schoolyard taunts, the innane one-liners, the obscene written
>> equivalents of flipping the bird, and the sexual defamation of all
>> your female relatives, I will observe the rules of civility that are
>> supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.

8-)

>> But only 2 decimal places?  For a subject that cries out for
>> extremely accurate (as well as poetic) reporting, 2 decimal places
>> puts these statments in the questionable realm of simple
>> observation!  Would you want someone to recommend photo papers and
>> aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they look damned good and
>> don't harm your printer?  Where's your precise investigative drive?
>> What deprivation have you suffered in your youthful history that that
>> would bring you to the point where you eschew iambic pentameter and
>> alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic statement,
>> "Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if
>> only Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!
>>
>> Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president
>> of the Aftermarket Club)
>>

> Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus get
> to you way too much.

:-D

> Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink supplier or paper.
>
> Mickey
0
measekite
6/10/2005 6:11:51 PM
measekite wrote:

> Mickey wrote:
>
>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Mickey - Since I am not vying for the exalted position of Troll of
>>> the Week, and one Village Idiot is enough for one NG, I will refrain
>>> from doing battle with you on this very critical and important issue.
>>

> 8-)
>
>>> Although it is difficult for me to withhold the standard childish
>>> schoolyard taunts, the innane one-liners, the obscene written
>>> equivalents of flipping the bird, and the sexual defamation of all
>>> your female relatives, I will observe the rules of civility that are
>>> supposed to apply to newsgroup postings.
>>

> 8-)
>
>>> But only 2 decimal places?  For a subject that cries out for
>>> extremely accurate (as well as poetic) reporting, 2 decimal places
>>> puts these statments in the questionable realm of simple
>>> observation!  Would you want someone to recommend photo papers and
>>> aftermarket inks simply on the basis that they look damned good and
>>> don't harm your printer?  Where's your precise investigative drive?
>>> What deprivation have you suffered in your youthful history that that
>>> would bring you to the point where you eschew iambic pentameter and
>>> alliterative, flowery passages in favor of the prosaic statement,
>>> "Anything beyond 2 decimal places has to be speculation."  Ah, if
>>> only Cyrano had crafted the words and spoken for you!
>>>
>>> Burt (aka Burtie Furtie, Reverend, the Pope, Fotofreek, and president
>>> of the Aftermarket Club)
>>>

>> Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus get
>> to you way too much.
>

> :-D
>
>> Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink supplier or paper.
>>
>> Mickey

Is there some hidden meaning to this drivel you keep posting or did your
meds kick-in and you forgot what you were doing?
Frank
0
Frank
6/10/2005 7:41:41 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Mickey wrote:

>> 8-)

>> 8-)

>>> Lighten up Burt, I was fooling with you.  You're letting the dufus
>>> get to you way too much.
>>

>> :-D
>>
>>> Oh, we've never disagreed on printer, ink supplier or paper.
>>>
>>> Mickey
>>

> Is there some hidden meaning to this drivel you keep posting or did
> your meds kick-in and you forgot what you were doing?
> Frank

:-*
0
measekite
6/10/2005 8:10:10 PM
measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> 8-)

>>> 8-)

>>> :-D

>> Is there some hidden meaning to this drivel you keep posting or did
>> your meds kick-in and you forgot what you were doing?
>> Frank
>

> :-*

They did huh?
Well don't leave that corner of your mommy's basement where you're holed up.
Don't want to hurt yourself or anybody else for that matter.
Frank
0
Frank
6/10/2005 9:25:07 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

>>> Is there some hidden meaning to this drivel you keep posting or did
>>> your meds kick-in and you forgot what you were doing?
>>> Frank
>>

>> :-*
>

> They did huh?
> Well don't leave that corner of your mommy's basement where you're
> holed up with my wife.
> Don't want to hurt yourself or anybody else for that matter.
> Frank

:-D
0
measekite
6/10/2005 10:31:23 PM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:16:15 GMT, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>My hope is that one day legislation requires all computer peripheral
>manufacturers to guarantee their products will be supported with drivers
>for a certain number of years (perhaps 7 might be reasonable), so that
>should OSs change the drivers will support the current OS.

Yes, that's what pi**sed us off about our HP printers and why we
changed - being told they were *never* going to produce a driver for
our workhorse printer when Win2K was launched followed by buying a new
printer and *then* finding an updated driver *9 months later* meant we
thought they were no longer a company that should be used by
professionals.

I often advise HP printers for consumers, but I'd never use one
professionally any more.

 --

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

> > At one time, I suggested to one OS producer that they require this of
> > a manufacturers in order for them to get the logo certification to
> > advertise their product as "compatible" with the OS.  That didn't go
> > over very well, so the next step might be for this to be required by law.
>

> The same should be for AfterMarket inks.

And, of course, one should be required to have some actual knowledge or
experience to post on newsgroups, which would eliminate your entire
social life!
0
Irwin
6/11/2005 9:50:36 AM
Hi Peckerface

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

>In article <Rmhqe.2208$Z44.911@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>inkystinky@oem.com says...
>

>>>At one time, I suggested to one OS producer that they require this of
>>>a manufacturers in order for them to get the logo certification to
>>>advertise their product as "compatible" with the OS.  That didn't go
>>>over very well, so the next step might be for this to be required by law.
>>>

>>The same should be for AfterMarket inks.
>>

>And, of course, one should be required to have some actual knowledge or
>experience to post on newsgroups, which would eliminate your entire
>social life!

0
measekite
6/11/2005 2:55:49 PM
In article <VXCqe.2603$Z44.529@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...
> Hi Peckerface

You are informative and fact filled, as always, Measly!
0
Irwin
6/12/2005 7:08:19 AM
I'm afraid that you will get a similar response from the majority of the
printer mfrs. At the very least they require a non disclosure agreement.
Remember that most of the printers in the inkjet market are quite "dumb",
and require that some fairly complex operations be carried out by the
drivers.  Color correction and compensation is just one of several complex
areas.
Another one is the section that decides which nozzle prints and when.  Many
of the printers do not have the RAM and other resources to actually use all
the nozzles (black, or a particuliar color) at one time. Not to mention that
the head would rapidly overheat.

Your references to cars is appropriate, but in the wrong direction.  Many of
the small inexpensive parts are no longer available. Instead a high dollar
assembly containing the part must be replaced.  Break an armrest, buy the
whole door interior panel.  Have the insulating high voltage cover fail, buy
the whole high energy ignition assembly.

"Vincent" <newsposting1@crel.us> wrote in message
> We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the
> first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off
> quite so much on ink.  The whole printer ink jet market, until now,
> has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print
> heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out.
> That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator,
> water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran
> out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid.  Oh, and by the way,
> there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no way to check the
> fluid levels.  Just one idiot light that says you are low on one of
> your fluids.  Time to replace all of the above to make sure you get
> the right one.
>
> The PIXMA printers are the first ones we have seen that have separate
> transparent cartridges for each color that you can see the ink level
> in and are easy to refill or replace without buying a new print head.
>
> However, Canon is trying to make sure you pay royalties to Apple or
> pay Microsoft to run on an insecure system full of spyware in order to
> use their printers.  There is no printer control language (PCL)
> documentation or PPD files available.  I called Canon's tech support
> at 1-800-828-4040 and they refused to provide any technical
> documentation to run their printers.  Charlie, the supervisor I spoke
> with, said that they did not have that information, and that to have it
> would be of no use to them.  I said, "Having the PCL documentation to
> provide to people in the open source community so that they can write
> drivers and open the market of millions of potential customers for
> your printers from the NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux communities
> is of no use to you?"  For the most part, he kept evading questions
> about his statement.  He also said they write their own drivers even
> though he kept claiming that they did not have the specifications to
> write drivers.  He said the printers are made in Japan and they are
> the only ones who have the driver documentation.  Yet he also claimed
> to have no email address or phone number to contact the branch in
> Japan.
>
> In other words, Canon is boycotting the open source community and
> trying to make you run only on proprietory commercial platforms in
> order to use their printers.
>

> --
> Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
> Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
> http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html

0
Chuck
6/13/2005 3:05:24 AM
Chuck wrote:

> I'm afraid that you will get a similar response from the majority of the
> printer mfrs. At the very least they require a non disclosure agreement.

That's true, and that is what I am complaining about.  People need to
boycott manufacturers that do this.

> Remember that most of the printers in the inkjet market are quite "dumb",
> and require that some fairly complex operations be carried out by the
> drivers.  Color correction and compensation is just one of several complex
> areas.
> Another one is the section that decides which nozzle prints and when.
> Many of the printers do not have the RAM and other resources to actually
> use all the nozzles (black, or a particuliar color) at one time. Not to
> mention that the head would rapidly overheat.

That may be true, but again, people need to realize that is not
necessary and quit being so tolerant to the manufacturers.  You can get
quite sophisticated Pic micro-controllers, for example, for only $3 or
$4 dollars now days (in onesies quantities. Probably considerably less
in volume) and RAM has gotten quite cheap.  There is no excuse for not
having a reasonable amount of the intelligence on the printer for a
reasonable price and making the protocol open and simple to talk to
the device.

Besides, I and, I am sure, most people on platforms other than
Microshaft, would be perfectly willing to pay $20 or $30 more for a
printer that would allow them to use the full features on the platform
of their choice without being ripped of on the ink cartridges from
then on.  However, I do not expect to have to pay hundreds more to get
that.

I am trying to convince people to refuse to buy any printer that does
not meet this criteria.

 o Open documentation on the protocol to talk to it.

 o Transparent, inexpensive separate ink cartridges for each color
   that are designed to be refillable and are not combined with the
   print heads.

There are printers available, like the Canon PIXMA I mentioned that
fulfill one or the other, but few, if any, that fully fulfill both.

Some people have mentioned other printers on this thread, such as the
Epson Photo R320.  I still need to research some of them.  The epsons
are known for being more open so that they can be supported by free
software.  However, I am still sceptical about the maintenance costs.
For example that Epson requires 6 ink cartridges instead of only 4,
and apparently is not transparent, so it requires software to check
the ink levels which means there must be electronics in the cartridge.
If they are designed specifically to be economically refilled and the
software (mtink) is open source and works on BSD, then I would
seriously consider it.  However, if they would just make them
transparent, they would not have to increase the cost of the printers
by adding electronics and sensors to the cartridges.

> Your references to cars is appropriate, but in the wrong direction.  Many
> of the small inexpensive parts are no longer available. Instead a high
> dollar
> assembly containing the part must be replaced.  Break an armrest, buy the
> whole door interior panel.  Have the insulating high voltage cover fail,
> buy the whole high energy ignition assembly.

In the wrong direction?  I don't see how.  True, the automotive market
is FULL of ripoffs also, but I will try to avoid going there in this
thread:-).  Your examples are based on something breaking or failing.
That is not what we are talking about.  Comparing printers to cars, we
are talking about running out of gas.  The models that require you to
buy new print heads and cartridges is like having to buy a new gas
tank, fuel pump and carburator every time your tank gets empty.  It is
ludicrous and a deliberate ripoff which is no more ethical than
robbery.  I am trying to open people's eyes and encourage them to not
tolerate these kinds of tactics.

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html
0
Vincent
6/15/2005 4:58:00 AM
> I am trying to convince people to refuse to buy any printer that does
> not meet this criteria.
>
>  o Open documentation on the protocol to talk to it.
>
>  o Transparent, inexpensive separate ink cartridges for each color
>    that are designed to be refillable and are not combined with the
>    print heads.

Point one, get a Postscript printer. Plenty of color lasers out there
starting supporting postscript at $500.  The lexmark 45 is only $700 or
so.  The HP Business Inkjet 3000 is another.

Point two, get a canon.  Perhaps a Brother.

Points one and two... IBM at some pre 2000 produced a postscript inkjet
that took largish ink carts, transparent, fend to the head via tubes.

Other than that, Canons work under linux well enough.  Don't want to
reward them for the time they spent making linux drivers that's between
you and you.  Otherwise lots of luck.

0
zakezuke
6/15/2005 6:48:01 AM
Most users of all printers do not know what a protocol is.

zakezuke wrote:

>>I am trying to convince people to refuse to buy any printer that does
>>not meet this criteria.
>>
>> o Open documentation on the protocol to talk to it.
>>
>> o Transparent, inexpensive separate ink cartridges for each color
>>   that are designed to be refillable and are not combined with the
>>   print heads.
>>

>Point one, get a Postscript printer. Plenty of color lasers out there
>starting supporting postscript at $500.  The lexmark 45 is only $700 or
>so.  The HP Business Inkjet 3000 is another.
>
>Point two, get a canon.  Perhaps a Brother.
>
>Points one and two... IBM at some pre 2000 produced a postscript inkjet
>that took largish ink carts, transparent, fend to the head via tubes.
>
>Other than that, Canons work under linux well enough.  Don't want to
>reward them for the time they spent making linux drivers that's between
>you and you.  Otherwise lots of luck.

0
measekite
6/15/2005 4:17:34 PM
On 2005-06-08 04:20 CEST, aprestn5 wrote:

> Canon is, but others aren't. I discovered Turboprint has drivers for most of
> the Canon models; they list the Pixma i3000, et al., as supported.

> Check http://www.turboprint.de/printers.html for further information.

Yes, their drivers are great. I had a HP Deskjet 990 befor I bought a
Canon iP4000. Great printing results with both printers -- same
quality as the original Windows driver frm the manufacturer.

Jochen
6/15/2005 5:50:56 PM
measekite wrote:

> Most users of all printers do not know what a protocol is.

So, what's your point?  How can that possibly have any relevance
unless you are saying that we should never say anything and encourage
and keep rewarding companies to go on screwing us because, if we try
to draw it to peoples attention and make suggestions about what they
can do about it, we might inadvertently use a technical word that will
make their brains explode?  It's not like they can't ask or spend 30
seconds looking up the definition.

> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>>I am trying to convince people to refuse to buy any printer that does
>>>not meet this criteria.
>>>
>>> o Open documentation on the protocol to talk to it.
>>>
>>> o Transparent, inexpensive separate ink cartridges for each color
>>>   that are designed to be refillable and are not combined with the
>>>   print heads.
>>>

>>Point one, get a Postscript printer. Plenty of color lasers out there
>>starting supporting postscript at $500.  The lexmark 45 is only $700 or
>>so.  The HP Business Inkjet 3000 is another.
>>
>>Point two, get a canon.  Perhaps a Brother.
>>
>>Points one and two... IBM at some pre 2000 produced a postscript inkjet
>>that took largish ink carts, transparent, fend to the head via tubes.
>>
>>Other than that, Canons work under linux well enough.  Don't want to
>>reward them for the time they spent making linux drivers that's between
>>you and you.  Otherwise lots of luck.

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.
http://inetaddresses.net/about_NSI.html
0
Vincent
6/16/2005 7:21:16 PM
> So, what's your point?  How can that possibly have any relevance
> unless you are saying that we should never say anything and encourage
> and keep rewarding companies to go on screwing us because, if we try
> to draw it to peoples attention and make suggestions about what they
> can do about it, we might inadvertently use a technical word that will
> make their brains explode?

Irrelevant wisdom aside...

If you're not willing to get the development kit by all means rather
than a boycott make a business case to Canon.  They are a business,
talk to them in numbers and dollars.  You say they would make more
money if they documented their protocals, prove it.

But keep this in mind.  You're buying a sub $100 product.  There are
issues involved with patents and IP that they might not be in a
position to give away.  Most notable is Phillips and CD writing.  In
the US they are *NOT* paying a license fee for this and doing what you
ask could cost them some major dollars.  Presently this feature can be
enabled by reading proprietary and confidential information.  If Canon
were to release this publicly and Canon would be very much liable, and
not for that single digit number you'd be willing to pay more per unit.
 This would likely be the case with other technologies involving color.

But in the end you are talking about a consumer grade product with a
service life of 10,000 copies.   This is much fuss over something that
by it's very nature is designed for the most part to be disposable.  If
documented protocals are what you want, save your pennies and go with a
Laser, or a Phaser,  or dye sublimation printer.  Unlike the consumer
market, they are more likely to be documented.

0
zakezuke
6/16/2005 8:33:40 PM
ck183@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Brendan R. Wehrung) wrotenews:d85uma$ijk$1
@theodyn.ncf.ca:

> I use lexmrk and am considering switching to Canon for my next printer
> because Lexmark's mexican-made carts band too much.  I do all my printing
> off-line and use a laser for web stuff.  Does the spyware operate when
the
> printer is not being used?
>
> Brendan
> --

I have no idea what he's talking about, spyware wise.

I have zone alarm pro and I've never caught anything from canon trying to
access the web.
I have 3 diferent anti-spyware proggies and they haven't caught anything.
I have Kespersky AV, the best there is, and it hasn't caught anything.

If canon tried to go out, my ZA would pop up and tell me and ask me if that
was ok or not.
Nothing.

Fucking MS constantly tries to spy on me everytime I open any of their
proggies.
MS is the worst for spyware besides the porno and warez sites.

--
---Mapanari---
0

Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000
Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB port & recommend it for use on that setup if it works. The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets likely to be (much) more expensive..? I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..? TIA for all advices, Stroller. In article Stroller says... > Are the iP4000's cartridge sets > likely to be (much) more expensive..? > The ip4000 uses the same 4 carts as the 3000 plus an extra photo black. > I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles > built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is FUBAR, Epson > but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that > they're otherwise replaceable...

Canon Pixma IP3000 printer ink question
Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2 different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the difference is? Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson? -- What am I selling on ebay right now? http://tinyurl.com/38yjc Earn money reading emails! http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm Simon Finnigan wrote: >Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2 >different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems >to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the >difference is? Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks, specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y). The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume. >Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be >panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson? Perhaps...have you considered the life expectancy of the printhead in the Canon printer and replacement cost? Personally I prefer the HP models because the printhead is part of the ink cartridge. You never have to worry about clogging or failure. I had a Canon i850 (previous model to the i...

UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180: (reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying Canon products. Shnaggletooth shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote: >I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight >from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. >And yes, it came with a new p...

Russian website which had a service manual for the Canon Pixma IP3000 bubblejet printer.
Hello all. Some of the long standing subscribers to this news group will probably remember details of this Russian website. I'm probably going back more than one year. Thanks in advance for that info. BTW, any other source of supply will be appreciated. Sylvain. If you fancy a good ol' browse have a look on the old boards, the one before this came into being... here's the link http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/forum39.html... Note:This is read only davy Did you mean this one - 'Service Manuals' (http://www.eserviceinfo.com/) "...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

canon pixma ip4000
welps, I had the occasion to print some pics for my mom but unfornately, it was for rancid gossip involving my cousins. anyways.... the pixma ip4000 did a really good job of printing the pictures on plain paper under windows98 pmview version and was surprisingly fast (much faster than the old epson color600 was, that one took forever to print a color pic). I just wish it were so for the OS/2 version of pmview. it wasn't very good. it looked like a cross between 16bit & 256bit colors On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:07:33 -0400, Dilbert Firestorm wrote: :>welps,...

Canon PIXMA iP4000
I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has anyone set it up sucessfully? I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. "hyperfusion" <jonathanho15@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1114820232.945735.55130@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has >anyone > set it up sucessfully? > I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. > Canon has drivers for Linux on the japanese website. It's quite a PITA to find them, but go for www.canon.jp and search for an edit-box, that might be a search box and try: "PIXMA linux" They use mostly RPMs - is there something like debian's "alien" command for portage? HTH, Gernot hyperfusion wrote: > I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has anyone > set it up sucessfully? > I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. Why not use Turboprint for linux www.turboprint.de I use all the time and just bombs out cups all the time, and the support for all most every printer out there. ...

Canon PIXMA ip3000
For the interested, CompUSA now has the Canon ip3000; the ip4000 can't be too far behind in availability. ...

Canon Pixma Mp160 Printer
Canon Pixma MP470 Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printer (2177B002) Price:$99.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000SQ5N4Y Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000SQ5N4Y Genuine Canon PG-40 CL-41 Ink Cartridge Set for Pixma ip1600 ip1700 ip1800 ip2600 MP140 MP150 MP160 MP170 MP180 MP190 MP210 MP450 MP460 MP470 MX300 MX310 Price:$56.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0025HW7FC Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0025HW7FC Canon Pixma MP210 Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printer (2175B002) Price:$79.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0...

Canon Pixma Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA MX860 Wireless All-In-One Photo Printer Price:$199.97 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001R4C5BK Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001R4C5BK Canon MP480 All-in-One Photo Printer Price:$99.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001DJ6BW8 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001DJ6BW8 Canon iP4600 Inkjet Photo Printer (2909B002) Price:$99.97 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001DJ6DH6 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001DJ6DH6 Canon MP980 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer Price:$349.00 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001DJ6C2W Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001DJ6C2W Canon iP100 Mobile Photo Printer (1446B002BA) Price:$299.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0012W9APQ Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0012W9APQ Canon PIXMA MX330 Inkjet All-In-One Printer Price:$129.97 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001R4C5VK Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001R4C5VK Canon PIXMA MX700 Office All-On-One Inkjet Printer Price:$199.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000V2TTNG Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000V2TTNG Canon iP3600 Inkjet Photo Printer (2868B002) Price:$89.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001DJ9PY4 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001DJ9PY4 Canon Pixma iP2600 Photo Inkjet Printer (2435B002) Price:$49.99 Image: ht...

New Printer/Canon iP4000
Broke with tradition AND sense. Bought somethine other than an HP this time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into information overload :o Brought home a Canon iP4000. This printer will be used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text. I will do some photo printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper. Are there any inherant issues I need to know about? Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the docking station. Then another said their Canon turned off automatically. I found "Auto Power" under the Maintenance Tab. Both were disabled. I enabled both and set Power off to 15 minutes. OK? And it doesn't say but I'm assuming the Auto "Power On" turns the printer on automatically when you start a print job (like the HP) Thanks, Monica Monica wrote: >Broke with tradition AND sense. Bought somethine other than an HP this >time and didn't spend a week researching the subject and going into >information overload :o Brought home a Canon iP4000. This printer will be >used primarily for graphics (greeting cards) and text. I will do some photo >printing on Ilford (Smooth Pearl) photo paper. Are there any inherant >issues I need to know about? Someone told me that (unlike HP) I have to >turn the printer off when not in use to keep the ink from wicking in the &g...

Canon Pixma iP4600 Printer
Does anyone have experience of using this model of USB connected printer on Iyonix (RISC OS 5.13) ? So far I have tried with the printer plugged into the Iyonix on boot up. The computer does its POST, but stops at the "no keyboard" message and sits for a good minute, before continuing to the Desktop, but without any extras loaded (I have a Filer window open, and AppDoc load on boot). After a further half minute or so the hard disc runs and boot completes. However the machine locks up almost as soon as I try to do anything, such as open a directory, or run !Printers, and I end up hitting Reset. If I unplug the printer before switching the Iyonix on then boot proceeds as normal. Pluging the Printer's USB cable in results in instant machine freeze. I suspect the advice is "don't even think of using this printer except via the Wintel machine", but I live in hopes. Martin Hodgson In article <5038453cbfmarthodgson@freeuk.com>, Martin Hodgson <marthodgson@freeuk.com> wrote: > Does anyone have experience of using this model of USB connected > printer on Iyonix (RISC OS 5.13) ? Not me. > So far I have tried with the printer plugged into the Iyonix on boot > up. The computer does its POST, but stops at the "no keyboard" message > and sits for a good minute. [Snip] Any USB device that holds up boot should be put on a USB hub as they are looked at later on in the sequence. [Snip] > If I unplug the printer be...

Canon PIXMA iP4000 #2
Greetings I see that the Canon PIXMA iP4000 is starting to come into stock at Dabs (UK) http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3F1B Martin ©¿©¬ ...

Canon Pixma Printer Ink
5-Pack Non-OEM Ink w/ Chip for Canon PGI-5BK CLI-8 Pixma MP500 MP530 MP600 MP800 iP4200 iP4300 iP4500 iP5200 iP5200 Price:$8.91 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001IO6DEY Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001IO6DEY Canon Pixma Pro9000 Professional Large Format Inkjet Printer (9995A001) Price:$499.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000J1HPK8 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000J1HPK8 6 Pack (3xBlack + 1 of Each Color) Compatible Ink w/ Chip for Canon Pixma iP3300 iP3500 MP510 MX700 PGI-5BK CLI-8 Price:$21.45 Image: http://bestdea...

I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi. Plus they are about the same price on newegg.com. Are there any features that the i860 has that the MP360 doesn't? Otherwise why not get the MP360 and get a scanner too. any info would be appreciated. Canon i860 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9387&item=9442&section=10214 Canon MP360 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9527&item=9632&section=10223 Most people BUY a product based on how THEY will use the product. Maybe the first think you need to do sort out is your own imaging needs. "sydemon" <sydegun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49cf01cc.0405051118.15975f6@posting.google.com... : I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The : MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. : I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, : except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit : faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo : paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi...

Canon Pixma IP4000 versus S820
Currently I have the S820 which is working fine, but I would like to get a printer that prints on CDRs and DVDs The IP4000 model sold in the UK has that facility; I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it's likely photo print quality compared to the S820: I don't want to end up with anything worse, but I don't really want to end up with two printers (as well as my laser!) TIA Gelf Gelf wrote: >Currently I have the S820 which is working fine, but I would like to >get a printer that prints on CDRs and DVDs >The IP4000 model sold in the UK has that facility; I'm just wondering >if anyone has any thoughts on it's likely photo print quality compared >to the S820: I don't want to end up with anything worse, but I don't >really want to end up with two printers (as well as my laser!) > >TIA Gelf > > It prints terrific photos. The ip4000 is much quieter, and yes you will notice improved photo printing. Disc printing is a breeze, also with excellent quality. "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message news:4727815pb3326g7gjqhi9gkqs666dml936@4ax.com... > Currently I have the S820 which is working fine, but I would like to > get a printer that prints on CDRs and DVDs > The IP4000 model sold in the UK has that facility; I'm just wondering > if anyone has any thoughts on it's likely photo print quality compared > to the S820: I don'...

What language does Canon Pixma printers use?
Many years ago, I wrote a program to print documents to my HP printer filling up the page; it adjusted the font size so the document would be inthe largest possible font. This involved calculations, and translating them into PCL language (the HP Printer Control Language) to print the document. I found my "Fullpage" program very useful over the years. Now I have bought a Canon printer and I'd like to be able to do the same thing with it. Can anyone tell me what print control language the Canon recognizes? On Nov 23, 8:56 am, Gary <gary...@hotmail.com>...

Canon Pixma Photo Printer Ip1700
Canon Pixma iP2600 Photo Inkjet Printer (2435B002) Price:$49.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0012S52YS Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0012S52YS Canon Pixma iP1800 Photo Inkjet Printer (1855B002) Price:$49.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000NNCL3I Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000NNCL3I Canon PIXMA iP1700 Photo Inkjet Printer (Gray) Price:$49.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000GUQ2V0 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000GUQ2V0 Canon PIXMA iP3300 Inkjet Printer ...

Print Server for Canon Pixma iP4000?
Does anyone know of a print server that is compatible with the Canon Pixma iP4000? I am using a Netgear DG834G router/modem and have tried a Belkin print server which I found was compatible with my old Epson 830u (820 in the US). However it will not work with the Canon 4000. Any help appreciated. Thanks "Harry" <harry@hmack.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:v3flu0559kqocmk7j4r01ksqlqs46t731q@4ax.com... > Does anyone know of a print server that is compatible with the Canon > Pixma iP4000? I am using a Netgear DG834G router/modem and have tried > a Belkin print server which I found was compatible with my old Epson > 830u (820 in the US). However it will not work with the Canon 4000. > > Any help appreciated. > If you have just purchased the iP4000 why not exchange for the iP4000R which has a built in wired/wireless NIC. On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:15:37 +0000, Harry <harry@hmack.demon.co.uk> wrote: >Does anyone know of a print server that is compatible with the Canon >Pixma iP4000? I am using a Netgear DG834G router/modem and have tried >a Belkin print server which I found was compatible with my old Epson >830u (820 in the US). However it will not work with the Canon 4000. > >Any help appreciated. > >Thanks Pricom 6200U only. -- Con Madrid, con las v�ctimas. 11-M: No olvidamos. Fernando el Cat�lico I would advice you to get a printserver that supp...

canon-pixma-ip1000 perbaiki-canon-ip-4000 resetter-pixma-ip-1000
sumber diambil dari http://printer-resetter.blogspot.com http://resettercanon.blogspot.com http://canonresetter.fortunebisnis.com canon-pixma-ip1000 perbaiki-canon-ip-4000 resetter-pixma-ip-1000 cache:odMImodLnt0J:www.canonresetter.fortunebisnis.com/service/ reset.html-reset-canon-i250 free-download-best-software-resetter- printer mereset-ip-1000 pixmaip1000 reset-printer free-download- software-canon-pixma-ip1000 panduan-servis-canon-ip1000 download- Resetter-Printer-Canon-Sekarang-Juga download-Resetter-Printer-Canon- Sekarang-Juga download-software-canon-pixma-iP100 canon-pixma-10...

Canon Pixma Ip90 Photo Inkjet Printer
Canon iP100 Mobile Photo Printer (1446B002BA) Price:$299.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0012W9APQ Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0012W9APQ Canon PIXMA iP90v Photo Inkjet Printer (2238B002) Price:$249.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000NNEKZ0 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000NNEKZ0 Canon PIXMA iP90 Photo Inkjet Printer (9466A001) Price:$249.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0002OG6L6 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0002OG6L6 6pk Compatible Canon (3)BCI-15 Blac...

Canon 4000 series printer heads #2
Does anyone have any insight into the differences in the 4000, 4100, 4200, 4300 and 4400 print heads? I have a 4400 that not long after purchase started printing vertical lines at the end of each pass ( I think , ) as the head changes direction. I happened to measure the voltage between the printer and the computers ground ( because I noticed a tiny spark when connecting the two ) and got around a volt difference. It could be normal or possibly I got a ground loop and some transistor/driver blew. In any case I was also wondering if the problem was not in the print head. I have an opportunity right now to get either 4100 or 4300 real cheep but not sure if the heads are compatible, although, around the time I first received it ( gift ) I may have sean somewhere, print heads for sale. At the time it was all new to me ( BC21,BC this or that) so I am not entirely sure if it was a print head/ink cartridge holder or an ink cartridge itself, if it was the print head then they are most likely all the same. Maybe I could even buy say the 4300 and swap the ROMs to upgrade it to 4400? Thanks for any help. Sam. The print head is exactly the same for each model in the 4xxx series. Cari www.coribright.com "Sambo" <spw@eol.ca> wrote in message news:3F67C455.4040700@eol.ca... > Does anyone have any insight into the differences in the 4000, 4100, > 4200, 4300 and 4400 print heads? > I have a 4400 that not long after purchase starte...

Web resources about - Warning about Canon PIXMA iP3000/iP4000 series printers - comp.os.linux.hardware

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This $99 device turns your phone into a 3D printer
VIDEO: It uses a special resin and the light from your screen. 3D printers can be pretty expensive, but a company called OLO has created a new ...

Printer error foiled billion-dollar bank heist
A Philippine bank manager who approved funds transfers at the centre of an attempted $US1 billion ($AU1.3 billion) international cyber heist ...

This portable printer fits in your laptop bag
We live in the digital age but sometimes you have to get a little old school. Plenty of people don't even own printers anymore, or they rely ...