WinTV card, PVR version needed?

I notice that you can buy a WinTV card pretty cheap, but to get the
one labeled PVR costs a good bit more.  With the later you get an
onboard mpeg encoder.  To have a PVR setup with MythTV do you need
the hardware mpeg encoder if you have a reasonably fast system?
0
noemail20 (70)
8/15/2003 12:37:12 AM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Big Daddy Butthead wrote:
> I notice that you can buy a WinTV card pretty cheap, but to get the
> one labeled PVR costs a good bit more.  With the later you get an
> onboard mpeg encoder.  To have a PVR setup with MythTV do you need
> the hardware mpeg encoder if you have a reasonably fast system?

Hardware mpeg encoder is not needed if your system is fast enough.

My Celeron 1.3G can encode 640x480, 30 frames/sec.  The CPU utilization
is 80%.

--
My projects:
  http://tcron.sourceforge.net

Create a backup of your Raspberry Pi SD card using Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and restore when you need
As already know there are many situations you can corrupt the file system of the SD card which makes it hard and ruin all the hours of work you have dedicated to your project. After you read this guide you will stop re-installing everything over and over again. continue... http://www.awesomeprojects.xyz/2015/08/create-backup-of-your-raspberry-pi-sd.html -- www.alt119.net .... On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 14:44:32 -0300 Eduardo M. <internetado@alt119.net.invalid> wrote: > As already know there are many situations you can corrupt the file > system of the SD ca...

Differences between the Linux for i86 version and OS X version
We got closer to the source of our trouble since yesterday. While running the Linux version, it makes one call that the OS X version doesn't. While looking more closely at the runtime execution, the OS X version tries to make the same call than the Linux version, but obtains the wrong address for the symbol it is looking for (actually pointing to p.sys_reset_signal by mistake - which is a data symbol). We've looked more closely at the _extern definition (we were suspecting it), but it's too high level (only looking at pop11 code and not platform specific assembly generati...

Are WinTV-PVR-250 & WinTV-PVR-350 older models ?
Hi, I'm considering buying a TV recording H/W for my PC and I'm interested in Hauppauge's PVR product. As I approached a computer shop in my city, the sales recommended me WinTV-PVR-150 and said this model is more updated than WinTV-PVR-250 & WinTV-PVR-350. Is that true ? >From Hauppauge's home site, I see no significant difference between the 3 models. Any users of Hauppauge could tell me the strength & weakness of these 3 models in terms of performance & reliability ? :) If you have any plans to use MCE to record one show and watch a second, I recommend H...

Are WinTV-PVR-250 & WinTV-PVR-350 older models ?
Hi, I'm considering buying a TV recording H/W for my PC and I'm interested in Hauppauge's PVR product. As I approached a computer shop in my city, the sales recommended me WinTV-PVR-150 and said this model is more updated than WinTV-PVR-250 & WinTV-PVR-350. Is that true ? >From Hauppauge's home site, I see no significant difference between the 3 models. Any users of Hauppauge could tell me the strength & weakness of these 3 models in terms of performance & reliability ? :) If you have any plans to use MCE to record one show and watch a second, I recommend H...

VPC version need for PC OS
Trying to find out why the need for Virtual PC & the various operating systems with some or just a bare upgrade for version 7.01? Right now, I need to do Quickbooks Non-profit on a PC or use VPC, since I've been Mac since the mid 80's there's no way I'm going PC separate. However, I need to know - the versions of VPC and the PC OS, is it needed or can you go "naked" with the bare version that has an upgrade price in the $60 range. I do have an old VPC on a new G5. Microsoft tells us nothing about the necessity or non-necessity of the operating system matc...

Help needed replacing OS version
Hi folks, I have a number of Sun boxes and need to replace the OS version that came pre-installed with Solaris 8. The boxes are on the same LAN. I've downloaded and burnt the ISO images for Solaris 8. Our CD drive is USB, so I can't simply plug it into each box in turn and install from it. My question is, what is the best and quickest (this rules out setting up a JumpStart server) method of installing the OS on all boxes? Thanks. Brendan McKeown wrote: > Hi folks, > > I have a number of Sun boxes and need to replace the OS version that came > pre-installed wit...

Find Linux OS Brand and Version
Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the Linux OS installed? Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls? Thanks. On 2005-03-04, Klist Smith <klistsmith@hotmail.com> wrote: > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the > Linux OS installed? > > Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls? Assuming you can find which partition holds the root filesystem and can mount that filesystem, look for files matching the pattern "/etc/*release*" and look inside them. Many distributions describe the...

WinTV PVR 250 driver for Linux
Hi, I am looking for the drivers for Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 drivers on Linux. Is the http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/ the main source for the drivers, or is there any others ? I want to use the WinTV PVR for capturing TV programs and broadcasting it over our network. So I was interested in how stable the driver is at present. Thanks. -- pradipta. Pradipta De wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking for the drivers for Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 drivers on > Linux. Is the http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/ the main source for the > drivers, or is there any others ? > > I want to use the WinTV PVR for capturing TV programs and broadcasting > it over our network. So I was interested in how stable the driver is > at present. > > Thanks. > > -- pradipta. Take a look at www.mythtv.org. We have a lot of information there on the PVR-250. -- Mike Nugent Programmer/Author/DBA/Admin In search of employment, email for credentials news@remove-this.illuminatus.org ...

Uninstall previous version [Linux OS]
I am sorry for bad English and my newbie question I just upgraded to version 8 How to uninstall version 7? My OS is Linux Mint 12 thank you in advance ...

Differentiating different versions of Linux OS.
When checking our servers, I have noticed the output of uname -a revealing different versions of RedHat Linux servers. I just don't know how to differentiate b/w AS4 update 3 with ES4 update 2 or other older versions of AS and ES. - 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp - 2.4.21-27.ELsmp - 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp - 2.4.21-32.ELsmp - 2.4.21-37.Elsmp - 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp - 2.6.9-22.ELsmp My question is: 1. What is the best way to recognize the Major versions and minor releases of RedHat Linux ? 2. Is there any published list available which shows of this is AS or ES etc. ? 3. Is there any other command ...

Need Hardware Suggestion
My current system has a NVIDIA Quarto FX 1100 (AGP) video card. The screen paints really slow even when opening ArcMap at times and sometimes even the selection boxes don't paint completly when running HAZUS. Any suggestions on a better card? The system is a duel Xeon with 1 gig of ram and a 270 gig scsi array. TIA Ron Hi all, Still having a ton of material to go through, however, we've managed to get a few updates published in our ESRI conference coverage at http://www.gisuser.com/content/category/1/198/2/ You'll catch some views of what's new at 9 and beyond,...

Need recommendation for hardware raid card
Hi All, I just found out why my LSI SAS 8204ELP will not work on my customer's motherboard. It is bios level software raid and is using too much "shadow ROM". So, I need a recommendation of a hardware raid card that can do at least 3 SAS drives (raid 1 with a hot spare). I have a free PCI-X and a free PCI-e 16x slot. Many thanks, -T Todd wrote: > Hi All, > > I just found out why my LSI SAS 8204ELP will not work > on my customer's motherboard. It is bios level software > raid and is using too much "shadow ROM". > > So, I need a recommenda...

[News] [Linux] No ZFS Needed for Linux, New Filesystems May Obviate the Need
Kernel space: two new filesystems for Linux ,----[ Quote ] | New filesystem technology for Linux includes high capacity, | snapshots, copy-on-write, and on-the-fly corruption detection. `---- http://apcmag.com/6468/zfs_the_ultimate_filesystem Jargon-free notes on ZFS here: ZFS: what "the ultimate file system" really means for your desktop -- in plain English! ,----[ Quote ] | It has quite an extensive feature set just like its peers, but builds on | this by adding a new layer of simplicity. According to the official site, | ZFS key features are... `---- http://apcmag.com/646...

Does hardware modem need driver for Linux?
I thought hardware based PCI internal modems didn't need a driver to work in Linux. Why would the readme with the driver for USR2977 (aka 3CP2977) say the following: "3Com Corporation is pleased to provide the following Red Hat Package Manager (.rpm) support file for the following modem models: 2976, 2977, and 3298. This RPM package has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.0 and higher. It should also work with other Linux distributions supporting the RPM utility." http://www.ictcompany.com/Drivers/usr2977/2977.zip Thanks for your help. -- pcbldrNinetyEight pcbldrNinetyE...

Need help with os.system in linux
Hello i am calling a program using os.system in python on Linux. However in i found that program being executed and soon returned 256. but when i ran it using terminal i got proper results. Now in case of windows, python waits till the process is finished, Can you please tell me how to implement this in linux? On Jan 16, 7:05=A0pm, akshay bhat <akshayub...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello > i am calling a program using os.system in python on Linux. > However in i found that program being executed and soon returned 256. > but when i ran it using terminal i got proper results. > N...

Do I need a separate version of Matlab for linux/
Hi, I am a new bee here started working on matlab recently. I am a bit confused whether I need a separate version of matlab for installing on linux machine or I can install my current version of matlab (Windows) on linux by somehow. If it is, then how I can do that? Is there anybody who can tell me what to do? "Mofakharul " <babul522000@yahoo.com> wrote in message <i015mf$ne2$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I am a new bee here started working on matlab recently. I am a bit confused whether I need a separate version of matlab for installing on linu...

Feedback needed
Hi, We're performing some tests on software, and need - for a new title - to check the current operating system of the machine. I need therefore: - the version of UtilityModule - plus what's returned in R0 (or R1) of the SYS"Wimp_Initialise" call in a WIMP app The focus is on the Iyonix and on machines running Select or Adjust. David In message <20041119203644.23417.00000921@mb-m03.aol.com> dbproaction@aol.com (David Bradforth) wrote: > Hi, > > We're performing some tests on software, and need - for a new title - to > check the current op...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/news-20070501 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxtle ...

HELP-- Wireless PC Card for my Linux OS
I just installed Red Hat on our secondary computer, a laptop.-- I thought it'd be a cool experiment. However, I'm shocked that I can't easily find a Wireless PC Card that comes with Linux drivers. I've found a few things (like a Netgear card), but nothing that outright says that it comes with Linux drivers. Recommendations? Advice? -Linux Neophyte Mojo wrote: > I just installed Red Hat on our secondary computer, a laptop.-- I > thought it'd be a cool experiment. However, I'm shocked that I can't > easily find a Wireless PC Card that comes with Linux ...

Linux, Linux, Linux

What does Linux need to become a more popular desktop OS?
If you don't care about Linux gaining more mainstream popularity or you feel Linux is too good for the masses or you're just another hacker outcast who hates the thought of their precious OS going mainstream, kindly ignore this thread. This is addressed to those of us who want to see Linux become a more dominant platform, the obvious reason being that we want our favorite Windows/Mac software ported to it (I'm talking primarily about games, because in the consumer world they are what drive sales of hardware and where the games go, so go the consumers) and we won't have ...

Old version of OS/9 help needed
I could use some help/advise about OS/9 x86 version 2.1. It's a long story but I will try to give as short version as possible. Back about 10 years ago, the company I work for had a control system that used OS/9000 (as it was called at that point) on a x86 PC. It was only used on a few systems before it was abandoned (MicroWare couldn't/ wouldn't support us like we needed and Linux was quickly becoming a better alternative). The co-owner who developed it was the only person who knew the OS, and he died about 5 years ago without leaving much information for us to go on. ...

List of graphics cards supported by linux versions
Are there lists of available graphics card drivers and the graphics cards that are suported by linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x? Specifically I am interested to know whether a Matrox P650 will be supported by linux 2.4.x (and optionally 2.6.x). Janis Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote: > Are there lists of available graphics card drivers and the > graphics cards that are suported by linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x? http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/CategoryHardware > Specifically I am interested to know whether a Matrox P650 > will be supported by linux 2.4.x ...

Web resources about - WinTV card, PVR version needed? - comp.os.linux.hardware

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Global Android version distribution since December 2009. As of September 2013, Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean is the most widely-used Android version, ...

Amazon’s latest version of Fire OS disables encryption
... keen to position itself on the right side of the debate.Original post, March 4: Amazon has been updating a number of its older devices to version ...

4K is yesterday's news! VESA ushers in the 8K era with DisplayPort Standard Version 1.4
... homes, it is already old news. Today, the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) announces the publishing of DisplayPort Standard Version ...

Did The Iranian Reformers Win Or Did The Conservatives Have A Version Of Wasserman Schultz With A Finger ...
All the early reports out of Iran showed supporters of reformist Hassan Rouhani winning every district on Friday there are 30 in Tehran, the ...

There's a new version of the insanely cheap hobbyist computer Raspberry Pi — and it finally has Wi-Fi ...
Wildly popular hobbyist computer company Raspberry Pi is launching a new device . The Raspberry Pi 3, which goes on sale for $35 (£30), brings ...

High school students take new version of SAT - Videos - CBS News
High schoolers got their first crack at the new version of the SAT. The idea behind the new test was to make it more fair for minorities and ...

Suicide Squad: Margot Robbie Tried On Multiple Versions Of Harley Quinn Costume Including Court Jester ...
When the first images of Margot Robbie's Arkham-inspired Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad hit the [...]

Waze Announces Version 4.0 With New, Cleaner Design
Through an upload to the Waze YouTube channel, the community-based traffic service announced version 4.0 for its Android app. This version leaked ...

The Next Version of DisplayPort Will Drive 8K Monitors With HDR Video
... on your laptop for granted, but the folks that develop the standard have been working hard to make it perform way better—and the next version ...

An Adorably Tiny RC Version of the House From Up That Can Be Flown Indoors
... Flight Test are known for their massive flying experiments that are often surprisingly successful. But it’s this tiny creation, an RC version ...