given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD - should I learn SCO or reformat and use Linux?

I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives.
It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.

I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
to learn Linux.  Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP (
Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL).

I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM.

Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?

0
NotGiven
12/17/2005 4:22:06 PM
comp.os.linux.help 1668 articles. 0 followers. thunder (12) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500
"NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote:

> I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives.
> It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.
>
> I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
> to learn Linux.

If you wish to learn about setting up a server with Linux, the best way is to setup a server with Linux :)

What do you really need? Distro suggestions? Specific hardware help? The Distrowatch website and the Linux Documentation Project are great resources, as is Google.
0
Mandeep
12/17/2005 4:53:02 PM
"Mandeep Shergill" <darthmandeep@netscape.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500
> "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote:
>
> > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard
drives.
> > It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.
> >
> > I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a
box
> > to learn Linux.
>
> If you wish to learn about setting up a server with Linux, the best way is
to setup a server with Linux :)

> What do you really need? Distro suggestions? Specific hardware help? The
Distrowatch website and the Linux Documentation Project are great resources,
as is Google.

The box you received can have one or two cpus that go from
350MHz all the way to 1000MHz and it has 4 ram slots in it.
The default ram size was 256M on one slot but it can take up
to 2G total (512*4).  It would make a good machine on which
to learn server stuff.

For distributions there are several choices - Debian, RedHat,
and SUSE are the main ones.  RedHat has the biggest market
share.  You can also use one of the clones, CentOS if you
don't want to be "official".

later....

0
charles
12/21/2005 7:48:15 PM
NotGiven wrote:
> I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives.
> It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded.
>
> I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux.  I was going to use this as a box
> to learn Linux.  Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP (
> Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL).
>
> I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM.
>
> Advice on what to do with it?  Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux?

In my opinion dont start with a server version as they are just stripped
down workstations from a learning point of view.
(they do have enterprise features that workstations may not, but when
your learning..... one step at a time, and start with the easiest option
that does not make you frustrated.)

the two i recomend depends upon the sort of learner you are.

if you are the type that likes a fully working base to start with thats
easy to setup and learn all the deep bits a bit at a time then get
mandrake 2006/mandriva 2006 and it is now known.

If you the sort that likes to get at all the details and bits from the
off, then go slackware 11.2

once you are confortable with one of these then step up to the server
versions.

regards peter
0
peter