Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed,
version 9.1.  I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP
machine.  I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE)
through the network with:

smb://Addie

in Konqueror (Note:  THis requires a USername/Password).  I do have
CUPS installed.  I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add
Printer" method.  Below is the infomation I added:

<First Page>
Name: Addie's Printer
Location: //Addie

<Second Page>
Device: Unknown Network Device(smb)

<third Page>
Device URL: smb://Addie/HPSC950

<fourth Page>
Make: HP

<fifth Page>
Model: HP PSC 950, Foomatic + hpijs (recommended) (en)

<sixth Page>
Added Successfully

Tried Printing test page

Note:  I am not even sure if this is the correct path for the result I
want.  I every user on the Linux machine to be able to use this
printer with little or no initial setup on their part.  Any help woul
dbe appreciated, even if it involves other approaches.

Aaron
0
af
5/1/2004 1:11:09 AM
comp.os.linux.help 1668 articles. 0 followers. thunder (12) is leader. Post Follow

"Aaron" <af@poorstudents.us> wrote in message
> Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed,
> version 9.1.  I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP
> machine.  I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE)
> through the network with:
>
> smb://Addie
>
> in Konqueror (Note:  THis requires a USername/Password).  I do have
> CUPS installed.  I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add
> Printer" method.  Below is the infomation I added:
>
> <First Page>
> Name: Addie's Printer
> Location: //Addie
>
> <Second Page>
> Device: Unknown Network Device(smb)
>
> <third Page>
> Device URL: smb://Addie/HPSC950
>
> <fourth Page>
> Make: HP
>
> <fifth Page>
> Model: HP PSC 950, Foomatic + hpijs (recommended) (en)
>
> <sixth Page>
> Added Successfully
>
> Tried Printing test page
>
> Note:  I am not even sure if this is the correct path for the result I
> want.  I every user on the Linux machine to be able to use this
> printer with little or no initial setup on their part.  Any help woul
> dbe appreciated, even if it involves other approaches.
>
> Aaron

Hi,
I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

0
Chris
5/1/2004 3:23:32 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  Samba is working.  Using Konqueror I
can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp.  Additional
information:  The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).

Aaron
----------
> Hi,
> I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
> and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
> guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.
0
af
5/1/2004 10:05:08 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  Samba is working.  Using Konqueror I
can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp.  Additional
information:  The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).

Aaron
----------
> Hi,
> I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
> and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
> guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.
0
af
5/1/2004 10:07:40 PM
Aaron wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  Samba is working.  Using Konqueror I
> can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp.  Additional
> information:  The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).
>
> Aaron
> ----------
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
>>and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
>>guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

On the Windows side did you give sharing permission to Addie's printer?

I have two WinXP printers on remote machines and had this problem until
I shared them (gave the share command as administrator on the WinXP
machines).

HTH

Dave
0