f



Acrobat's "acroread" can't print some files

What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
this problem.

Thanks.....

-- 
PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
0
nobody6759 (355)
2/24/2005 4:39:02 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 1 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

10 Replies
629 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:

: What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
: versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
: versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
: file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
: not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
: unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
: this problem.

: Thanks.....

I'd take the error at face value:
"file version is newer than the program version"

and update your reader. After all you are two major versions behind!

Stan

-- 
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com 
0
essteeaenn (208)
2/24/2005 5:05:55 PM
essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com <essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com> wrote:
> Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:
> 
> : What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
> : versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
> : versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
> : file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
> : not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
> : unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
> : this problem.
> 
> : Thanks.....
> 
> I'd take the error at face value:
> "file version is newer than the program version"
> 
> and update your reader. After all you are two major versions behind!

I took your advice and had a look on Adobe's site for a newer
version of acroread for Linux.  The newest Linux version for
download is 5.0.10, that's two minor-minor versions newer than
the oldest thing I'm using.  Maybe I'll have to get my government
(the author of the PDFs I want to print) to downgrade their
version of Acrobat. ;-)   Or, maybe their commercial ($300US)
version works on Linux?

Sigh....

-- 
PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
0
nobody6759 (355)
2/24/2005 7:05:54 PM
Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:
:> and update your reader. After all you are two major versions behind!

: I took your advice and had a look on Adobe's site for a newer
: version of acroread for Linux.  The newest Linux version for
: download is 5.0.10, that's two minor-minor versions newer than
: the oldest thing I'm using.  Maybe I'll have to get my government
: (the author of the PDFs I want to print) to downgrade their
: version of Acrobat. ;-)   Or, maybe their commercial ($300US)
: version works on Linux?

Or just view/print in Windows, I suppose. Didn't that Linux
reader was so ancient. Oh Well.

Stan
-- 
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com 
0
essteeaenn (208)
2/24/2005 7:47:09 PM
nobody@tek.com (Kevin) writes:

> essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com <essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com> wrote:
>> Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:
>> 
>> : What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
>> : versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
>> : versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
>> : file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
>> : not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
>> : unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
>> : this problem.
>> 
>> : Thanks.....
>> 
>> I'd take the error at face value:
>> "file version is newer than the program version"
>> 
>> and update your reader. After all you are two major versions behind!
>
> I took your advice and had a look on Adobe's site for a newer
> version of acroread for Linux.  The newest Linux version for
> download is 5.0.10, that's two minor-minor versions newer than
> the oldest thing I'm using.  Maybe I'll have to get my government
> (the author of the PDFs I want to print) to downgrade their
> version of Acrobat. ;-)   Or, maybe their commercial ($300US)
> version works on Linux?

Before you give up, try xpdf.
0
daneNO (319)
2/24/2005 7:53:29 PM
Dan Espen <daneNO@SPAM.mk.telcordia.com> wrote:
> >> : What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
> >> : versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
> >> : versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
> >> : file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
> >> : not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
> >> : unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
> >> : this problem.
> 
> Before you give up, try xpdf.

That did it!  Thanks....

-- 
PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
0
nobody6759 (355)
2/24/2005 8:16:03 PM
Stan writes:
> Or just view/print in Windows, I suppose. Didn't that Linux reader was so
> ancient. Oh Well.

Why can't you use xpdf?
-- 
John Hasler 
john@dhh.gt.org
Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI USA
0
john4584 (1601)
2/24/2005 8:16:47 PM
  nobody@tek.com (Kevin),
  In a message on 24 Feb 2005 19:05:54 GMT, wrote :

K> essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com <essteeaenn@worldbadminton.com> wrote:
K> > Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:
K> > 
K> > : What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print?  I'm using
K> > : versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another.  Both
K> > : versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the
K> > : file version is newer than the program version, and that I might
K> > : not be able to view some content.  Maybe that's related to being
K> > : unable to print this file?  There are multiple files I have with
K> > : this problem.
K> > 
K> > : Thanks.....
K> > 
K> > I'd take the error at face value:
K> > "file version is newer than the program version"
K> > 
K> > and update your reader. After all you are two major versions behind!
K> 
K> I took your advice and had a look on Adobe's site for a newer
K> version of acroread for Linux.  The newest Linux version for
K> download is 5.0.10, that's two minor-minor versions newer than
K> the oldest thing I'm using.  Maybe I'll have to get my government
K> (the author of the PDFs I want to print) to downgrade their
K> version of Acrobat. ;-)   Or, maybe their commercial ($300US)
K> version works on Linux?

I take it you are filling out the IRS forms from the IRS?  Just select
'cancel' on the (silly) dialog box.  I got this dialog box when I was
filling in my IRS forms -- I clicked [cancel] and things worked just
fine (using 5.0.8).  Note: I printed to a file (form.ps) and printed the
PostScript file with the lpr command later -- I needed to save a copy of
the filled in form and there is no way to save the PDF file.

Otherwise, use ghostview/ghostscript or xpdf -- ghostview/ghostscript
and xpdf (esp. xpdf) are now *newer* technology than Adobe acroread
5.0.<mumble>.  There are (good) rumors that Adobe is working on
acroread 7.x for Linux (it is in beta test right now).  That's right,
Adobe *current* version is two *major* versions newer than the version
of acroread publically available for Linux.

K> 
K> Sigh....
K> 
K> -- 
K> PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
K> Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
K> Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
K> opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
K>               

                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   heller@cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||            heller@deepsoft.com
http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153






                                            
0
heller (3031)
2/24/2005 10:18:39 PM
John Hasler wrote:
> Stan writes:
> 
>>Or just view/print in Windows, I suppose. Didn't that Linux reader was so
>>ancient. Oh Well.
> 
> 
> Why can't you use xpdf?

I have acrobat reader 5.0.9 and xpdf. Both of them usually can render .pdf 
files, but sometimes in spite of being able to display them, sometimes one 
or the other or both cannot successfully print a file. The program thinks 
it printed, but the print despooler just stops in the middle. Sometimes I 
can print the offending page with the other program, but sometimes not. It 
is just one of the things I put up with, like RealPlayer(7) cannot usually 
do streaming audio. Grrr.

-- 
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine   241939.
  /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org
  ^^-^^ 19:35:00 up 36 days, 3:51, 3 users, load average: 5.14, 5.14, 4.93

0
jdbeyer (1228)
2/25/2005 12:42:50 AM
Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> I take it you are filling out the IRS forms from the IRS?

Nope.  A local government monthly newsletter.

> There are (good) rumors that Adobe is working on
> acroread 7.x for Linux (it is in beta test right now).  That's right,
> Adobe *current* version is two *major* versions newer than the version
> of acroread publically available for Linux.

Great!

-- 
PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)!
Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
0
nobody6759 (355)
2/25/2005 5:15:15 PM
In article <slrnd1un93.sts.nobody@tekicl7.cse.tek.com>,
Kevin <nobody@tek.com> wrote:
>Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> I take it you are filling out the IRS forms from the IRS?
>
>Nope.  A local government monthly newsletter.

Have you tried a simple:

    lpr myfile.pdf

A properly set-up system will usually Do The Right Thing(TM) with .pdf
files.

John
-- 
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England
i = (free(NULL), i++);
0
newstmp (108)
3/5/2005 7:25:16 PM
Reply: