An open source program to convert DRM'ed WMA files to others (MP3 & OGG)?

Hello,

Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)

Thank you in advance. :)
--
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
ANTant (1370)
7/29/2007 12:16:48 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33536 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

Ant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
> from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Well.. there's most certainly an easier answer... but the following will
help with other situations...

You can capture anything you can play audibly....
(may not work quite this way on all sound devices)
As root:

amixer set 'Mix' cap
arecord -t wav -f cd mycapture.wav

Then you could play the file using whatever... be it flash,
or mplayer, etc....

Interrupt the arecord process when done.  You will now
have a .wav file.

The only reason I bring up this technique is because I don't
know what all issues there might be with regards to DRM, etc...
I don't usually deal with .wma files myself.

0
notccox (151)
7/29/2007 1:14:23 AM
Chris Cox wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
>> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
>> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
>> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
>> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
>> from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Well.. there's most certainly an easier answer... but the following will
> help with other situations...

One easier way:

mplayer -ao pcm:file=myfile.wav myfile.wma

This may require the w32codecs... not sure...

Then you can reencode to mp3.

There may be an even easier way.....  I couldn't
figure out how to get mplayer to send the data
to stdout.. if so you could reencode via a pipe.
0
notccox (151)
7/29/2007 1:26:47 AM
Ant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
> from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I think the closest thing for linux is the Hymn Project
http://www.hymn-project.org/

There are a few programs for Windows that are able to remove some versions
of the WMA DRM. Can't recommend any since I don't buy any music with DRM
protection.

You could check the forums over at Hymn, they may be of some help (I'm sure
they answer that question all the time)... The answer is probably going to
be: Burn the CD, then rip them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
0
asolanous (4)
7/29/2007 4:09:36 AM
In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc,
Chris Cox <notccox@notairmail.net> didnst hastily scribble thusly:
> Chris Cox wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
>>> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
>>> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
>>> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
>>> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
>>> from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>
>> Well.. there's most certainly an easier answer... but the following will
>> help with other situations...

> One easier way:

> mplayer -ao pcm:file=myfile.wav myfile.wma

Doesn't work with DRMed files because mplayer isn't DRM enabled.
Even with the w32codecs.
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
spike1 (8171)
7/29/2007 4:41:55 PM
On 7/29/2007 9:41 AM PT, spike1@freenet.co.uk typed:

>>> Well.. there's most certainly an easier answer... but the following will
>>> help with other situations...
>
>> One easier way:
>
>> mplayer -ao pcm:file=myfile.wav myfile.wma
>
> Doesn't work with DRMed files because mplayer isn't DRM enabled.
> Even with the w32codecs.

Yeah, I couldn't get mplayer to play my WMA by itself. :( How frustrating.
--
"I look at an ant and I see myself: a native South African, endowed by
nature with a strength much greater than my size so I might cope with
   / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
ANTant (1370)
7/29/2007 8:06:36 PM
On 7/28/2007 9:09 PM PT, Alexander Solano typed:

> Ant wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
>> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
>> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
>> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
>> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
>> from http://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> I think the closest thing for linux is the Hymn Project
> http://www.hymn-project.org/
>
> There are a few programs for Windows that are able to remove some versions
> of the WMA DRM. Can't recommend any since I don't buy any music with DRM
> protection.

Yeah, I did that but none of them can remove it. I found TuneBite that
will record the song though (digitally -> analog to the MP3/OGG/etc.).
Too bad my old Linux box doesn't have a CD burner. Heh.
--
"Busy as ants hurrying orcs were digging, digging lines of deep trenches
in a huge ring, just out of bowshot from the walls;" --The Return of the
   / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
ANTant (1370)
7/29/2007 8:08:16 PM
On 29 Jul, 05:09, Alexander Solano <asolan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
> > or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
> > like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
> > digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
> > this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
> > fromhttp://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>
> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
> I think the closest thing for linux is the Hymn Projecthttp://www.hymn-project.org/
>
> There are a few programs for Windows that are able to remove some versions
> of the WMA DRM. Can't recommend any since I don't buy any music with DRM
> protection.
>
> You could check the forums over at Hymn, they may be of some help (I'm sure
> they answer that question all the time)... The answer is probably going to
> be: Burn the CD, then rip them.
>
> Good luck and let us know how it goes.

This is a *big* deal for the BBC right now, due to the recent release
of "Iplayer", a way to view or listen to programs up to one week old.
I'd be terribly curious if anyone works out simple tools for doing so.

0
nkadel (705)
7/30/2007 10:16:38 PM
Groovy hepcat Ant was jivin' in comp.os.linux.setup on Sun, 29 Jul 2007
10:16 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA
> files or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It

  I looked into this a while ago. There isn't much for Linux. But I did
find one program. The memory's a bit foggy, but I think it was called
VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). I haven't tried it
yet, because I'm on a dial-up account with download limits, and I'm
currently having line problems too. But I'll download it and try it out
when I get broadband.

--
                 Dig the sig!

----------- Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood ------------
              Ain't I'm a dawg!!
0
phaywood (258)
8/4/2007 7:12:38 AM
On Jul 30, 4:08 am, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> On 7/28/2007 9:09 PM PT, Alexander Solano typed:
>

> > Ant wrote:
>
> >> Hello,
>
> >> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA files
> >> or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It seems
> >> like there is none except to burn to a CD audio, rip it, etc. Or record
> >> digital to analog (lose quality this way). The reason why I want to do
> >> this is because XMMS, Mplayer, etc. can't play the WMA file I bought
> >> fromhttp://us.puretracks.com/. :( And I hate WMA files. :)
>
> >> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> > I think the closest thing for linux is the Hymn Project
> >http://www.hymn-project.org/
>
> > There are a few programs for Windows that are able to remove some versions
> > of the WMA DRM. Can't recommend any since I don't buy any music with DRM
> > protection.
>
> Yeah, I did that but none of them can remove it. I foundTuneBitethat
> will record the song though (digitally -> analog to the MP3/OGG/etc.).
> Too bad my old Linux box doesn't have a CD burner. Heh.
> --
> "Busy as ants hurrying orcs were digging, digging lines of deep trenches
> in a huge ring, just out of bowshot from the walls;" --The Return of the
> King (book)
>     /\___/\
>    / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
>   | |o   o| |        Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
>      \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: phi...@earthlink.netANT
>       ( )                                           or ANT...@zimage.com
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.- Hide quoted text -

Besides the sound recording method, there is a Virtual CD burning
method to convert any music formats to any formats. Even for protected
music files such as purchased M4P music or WMA music, NoteBurner
( www.noteburner.com ) can do the burn/rip/convert works. It's very
fast because it is a VIRTUAL CD-RW.

On 8/4/2007 12:12 AM PT, Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood typed:

>> Are there any Linux softwares/programs that can convert DRM'ed WMA
>> files or remove the DRM from the WMA file in Linux (using Debian)? It
>
>   I looked into this a while ago. There isn't much for Linux. But I did
> find one program. The memory's a bit foggy, but I think it was called
> VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). I haven't tried it
> yet, because I'm on a dial-up account with download limits, and I'm
> currently having line problems too. But I'll download it and try it out
> when I get broadband.

I tried Windows version of VLC but it couldn't play the DRM'ed WMA file.
--
"News Headline: Ants Take A Long Time To Cook In Microwave" --unknown
    /\___/\