Any replacement for Autoscan Network?

Hi All,

I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan
Network, which no longer works and is unmaintained.

So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.
To scan 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of
a years or so to complete.  So they are all out.

I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet
regardless of whether their IP -- if they even have one --
resides on the same IP block as the tester.

Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.
If would even find things on the local Ethernet that
had different IP network blocks and do it in a matter
of minutes.

Google is failing me here.  Any of you guys have a replacement
that you like?

Many thanks,
-T

On 22/12/16 07:44, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan
> Network, which no longer works and is unmaintained.

Source? maintain it yourself?

> So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.
> To scan 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of
> a years or so to complete.  So they are all out.
>
> I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet
> regardless of whether their IP -- if they even have one --
> resides on the same IP block as the tester.

ethernet broadcast? a layer below IP...

> Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.
> If would even find things on the local Ethernet that
> had different IP network blocks and do it in a matter
> of minutes.
>
> Google is failing me here.  Any of you guys have a replacement
> that you like?

Should not be hard to write such.

> Many thanks,
> -T

0
The
12/22/2016 6:56:35 AM
On 12/21/2016 10:56 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 22/12/16 07:44, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan
>> Network, which no longer works and is unmaintained.
>>

> Source? maintain it yourself?
>
>> So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.
>> To scan 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of
>> a years or so to complete.  So they are all out.
>>
>> I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet
>> regardless of whether their IP -- if they even have one --
>> resides on the same IP block as the tester.
>
> ethernet broadcast? a layer below IP...
>>
>> Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.
>> If would even find things on the local Ethernet that
>> had different IP network blocks and do it in a matter
>> of minutes.
>>
>> Google is failing me here.  Any of you guys have a replacement
>> that you like?
>
> Should not be hard to write such.
>

>> Many thanks,
>> -T

Can't find the source code and way, way over my head!
T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan Network,
> which no longer works and is unmaintained.
>
> So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.  To scan
> 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of a years or so to
> complete.  So they are all out.

To scan your local ethernet, you don't scan the entire world-wide IP
range.  You'd just scan your local network segment.

> I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet regardless of
> whether their IP -- if they even have one -- resides on the same IP
> block as the tester.
>
> Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.  If would even
> find things on the local Ethernet that had different IP network
> blocks and do it in a matter of minutes.

Sounds like it is doing an arp scan of the local segment to find all
connected devices.  So you might try this:

https://github.com/royhills/arp-scan

No idea if it works or not, just found it by typing "arp scan" into
google.
0
Rich
12/22/2016 6:22:12 PM
On 12/22/2016 10:22 AM, Rich wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan Network,
>> which no longer works and is unmaintained.
>>
>> So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.  To scan
>> 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of a years or so to
>> complete.  So they are all out.
>
> To scan your local ethernet, you don't scan the entire world-wide IP
> range.  You'd just scan your local network segment.

That is not what I want.

I want all devices on Ethernet to show up, regardless of
the network segment.  AutoScan use to do this, when
it was working.

>> I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet regardless of
>> whether their IP -- if they even have one -- resides on the same IP
>> block as the tester.
>>
>> Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.  If would even
>> find things on the local Ethernet that had different IP network
>> blocks and do it in a matter of minutes.
>
> Sounds like it is doing an arp scan of the local segment to find all
> connected devices.  So you might try this:
>
> https://github.com/royhills/arp-scan

I had already tried that one.  It requires IP ranges or host names.
Poop!

> No idea if it works or not, just found it by typing "arp scan" into
> google.

Thank you for the help!
-T
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:01:33 -0800, T wrote:

> On 12/22/2016 10:22 AM, Rich wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am looking for a network discover tool to replace Autoscan Network,
>>> which no longer works and is unmaintained.
>>>
>>> So far everything I have found scans ranges of IP address.  To scan
>>> 0-255.0-255.0-255.0-255 would take on the order of a years or so to
>>> complete.  So they are all out.
>>
>> To scan your local ethernet, you don't scan the entire world-wide IP
>> range.  You'd just scan your local network segment.
>
> That is not what I want.
>
> I want all devices on Ethernet to show up, regardless of
> the network segment.  AutoScan use to do this, when
> it was working.
>

>>> I want to find all devices on the local Ethernet regardless of
>>> whether their IP -- if they even have one -- resides on the same IP
>>> block as the tester.
>>>
>>> Somehow Autoscan Network could find things without IP.  If would even
>>> find things on the local Ethernet that had different IP network
>>> blocks and do it in a matter of minutes.
>>
>> Sounds like it is doing an arp scan of the local segment to find all
>> connected devices.  So you might try this:
>>
>> https://github.com/royhills/arp-scan
>
> I had already tried that one.  It requires IP ranges or host names.
> Poop!

Maybe you want tcpdump. Most machines end up broadcasting something
eventually so will show up. Possibly in combination with a
ping -b 255.255.255.255
to get the attention of everyone.
0
Joe
12/23/2016 4:07:35 PM
On 23/12/16 18:07, Joe Beanfish wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:01:33 -0800, T wrote:

>>> To scan your local ethernet, you don't scan the entire world-wide IP
>>> range.  You'd just scan your local network segment.
>>
>> That is not what I want.
>>
>> I want all devices on Ethernet to show up, regardless of
>> the network segment.  AutoScan use to do this, when
>> it was working.

>>> Sounds like it is doing an arp scan of the local segment to find all
>>> connected devices.  So you might try this:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/royhills/arp-scan
>>
>> I had already tried that one.  It requires IP ranges or host names.
>> Poop!
>
> Maybe you want tcpdump. Most machines end up broadcasting something
> eventually so will show up. Possibly in combination with a
> ping -b 255.255.255.255
> to get the attention of everyone.

I think that the point is that he wants more than TCP dumping. He wants
ETHERNET dumping, and that could be lots of other protocols like Netbeui
or Apple (Ether)talk or  Novell Netware...and that means code that sends
an Ethernet broadcast and picks ups up returns from Ethernet equipped kit.

0
The
12/23/2016 5:41:26 PM
On 12/23/2016 09:41 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 23/12/16 18:07, Joe Beanfish wrote:

>>> That is not what I want.
>>>
>>> I want all devices on Ethernet to show up, regardless of
>>> the network segment.  AutoScan use to do this, when
>>> it was working.

>>> I had already tried that one.  It requires IP ranges or host names.
>>> Poop!
>>
>> Maybe you want tcpdump. Most machines end up broadcasting something
>> eventually so will show up. Possibly in combination with a
>> ping -b 255.255.255.255
>> to get the attention of everyone.
>>
> I think that the point is that he wants more than TCP dumping. He wants
> ETHERNET dumping, and that could be lots of other protocols like Netbeui
> or Apple (Ether)talk or  Novell Netware...and that means code that sends
> an Ethernet broadcast and picks ups up returns from Ethernet equipped kit.

I put together a Fedora Core 23 Virtual Machine that is
running Auto Scan.  Be nice if I could run it native
On 2016-12-22, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Google is failing me here.  Any of you guys have a replacement
> that you like?

Perhaps some of the penetration-testing or security distros have
something similar, or maybe even a maintained version of Autoscan
Network.  You might consult Distrowatch.com to find their home pages and
lists of included programs.  The only one I can think of off-hand is
BlackArch.
--
                                 Chick Tower

For e-mail:  colm DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
0
Chick