CUPS: Non postscript printer as postscript devide

hi all

i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to
a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd.

recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task
too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript
interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought:
it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a
postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it.

but since my brother printer does not support postscript by default,
the linux server would have to emulate that. to visualize:

 mac os x (CUPS)
   |     ^
 (PS)    |
   |  (advertise)
   v     |
 linux (CUPS)
  (PS->RAW)

   (RAW)

Printserver (LPD)
  Printer

do you see what i mean? i just would have to install something like a
postscript filter on the linux machine... i think. is this possible?
and could please somebody tell me how?

that would be great, thanks!

(one more question: i do announce the printer per ipp; in mac os x it
shows up -- but i have to enter the ip, the port, the printer model
etc. before i'm able to use it. is there any possibility to automate
all that, to send this information with the browse-packages? -- or
should i try to use rendezvous (zeroconf, howl) for that task?)

sincerely
Felix Steiner

"Felix Steiner" <the_only_wing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi all
>
> i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to
> a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd.
>

> recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task
> too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript
> interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought:
> it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a
> postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it.

You're making it too complicated.  Install it to the MacOS machine OR the
linux machine as itself with CUPS as your print system.  Make sure it works
from the linux or OS X box.  Share via samba.  Have your bro install it as a
network smb printer, but use the Apple Laserwriter print driver for b&w or
Apple Color Laserwriter for color.  These are bulletproof generic-type
drivers which generate nice generic postscript.  The CUPS system
automagically recognizes a postscript job, filters it appropriately, and
pushes it out to the printer as such, with the added benefit of being able
to use custom options in the CUPS ppd which are far more extensive than the
crappy brother driver.  IF you're not interested in the funky mods you can
do with CUPS drivers (like 2-up, etc.), you can uncomment the
"application/octet-stream" lines in /etc/cups/mime.types and
/etc/cups/mime.convs which will send the job thru raw... they both work.
Here's a tutorial:

http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html

The setup is for OS X but it's basically identical to do it under linux.

Dave