Debian - How do I mark a package as manually installed?

I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually
installed in the package database? I want to manage some packages
outside of the package management system, and I want to flag the
packages as manually installed.

I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
/bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
installed.

(My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
Debian.)

Gentoo offers this facilty through /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
and I am hoping for similar thing in Debian, perhaps through dpkg, or
similar tool.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley,
393 Quinton Road West,

On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:

> I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually
> installed in the package database? I want to manage some packages
> outside of the package management system, and I want to flag the
> packages as manually installed.
>
> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
> installed.
>
> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
> Debian.)

You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can
use equivs.

0
marcumbill (1024)
5/12/2008 1:58:07 AM
I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

> I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually installed
> in the package database? I want to manage some packages outside of the
> package management system, and I want to flag the packages as manually
> installed.

  $ aptitude --help
   markauto     - Mark packages as having been automatically installed
   unmarkauto   - Mark packages as having been manually installed
  $

[snip]
| + Output *more* particulate pollutants.      BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

Information deteriorates upward through bureaucracies.
0
news64 (1253)
5/12/2008 2:35:21 AM
I demand that Bill Marcum may or may not have written...

> On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
>> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
>> installed.

>> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
>> Debian.)

> You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can use
> equivs.

Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
(for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
install, mark as held.

|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Appearances often are deceiving.
0
news64 (1253)
5/12/2008 2:38:39 AM
Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
> debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
> (for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
> install, mark as held.

Rather than creating dummies or repackaging everything for Debian, I
really would like to just manipulate the package database directly,
telling it that a package is manually installed, or held, or whatever,
or possibly set an artificially high version number against the package,
so that it never gets upgraded. Is there any easy way to do this?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley,
393 Quinton Road West,
Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>:
>  I demand that Bill Marcum may or may not have written...
>
> > On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
>  [snip]
> >> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
> >> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
> >> installed.
> >>
> >> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
> >> Debian.)
> >
> > You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can use
> > equivs.
>
>  Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
>  debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
>  (for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
>  install, mark as held.

Piece of pie.  Easy as cake.  :-P

I'd suggest hanging out in debian-mentors for a few years.  It's what
I've been trying to do.

keeling2 (143)

problem with ruby1.9.2 and gems on Debian
Hi, I installed rubygems 1.3.7, then decided to upgrade from ruby1.8 to ruby1.9.2. I forgot to uninstall rubygems before installing ruby1.9.2, as I didn't realise gems came with it. Now I want to install some gems, but when I run 'gem install rails' I get the following error. ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError) no such file to load -- zlib ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError) uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand Can I repare 'gems? If not should I remove ruby1.9.2, rubygems1.3.7 and start again? It may be wort...

[News] Debian's Andrew McMillan Interviewed, OpenECP Targets Debian GNU/Linux

Selling System 1 + Manual
I am just thinking about selling my System 1 with its user manual as I no longer use it. Really trying to gauge if there would be any interest in it or whether I would get so little for it I should keep it as a paperweight!! On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:57:37 -0700, MarkYoungIW wrote: > I am just thinking about selling my System 1 with its user manual as I > no longer use it. > > Really trying to gauge if there would be any interest in it or whether > I would get so little for it I should keep it as a paperweight!! I suspect you could get a few hundred for it to the right buyer an...

Dolphin Professional installation
Hi, I just purchased the professional edition of Dolphin Smalltalk, I'm in the major league now :). Do I need to uninstall the Community Edition before I install the professional one? Regards, Catalin Aramescu Hi, Congratulations ! If you are not going to use it any more then uninstall it. Regards, Bruno Hi, I uninstalled Dolphin CE, I installed Dolphin Pro and all worked well until I closed the image and I tried to open it again. An empty window pops up with a red X and the image doesn't open. I reinstalled the program and no luck. I moved the image in...

LONG [News Digest] Mark Kent Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 22-08-08
In today's Mark Kent linux news digest, we have: * Clarion's New Navigation Device Runs GNU/Linux * Windows a "Dead-end operating System", Move to GNU/Linux * 'Analyst': "A Lot More GNU/Linux Out There Than Microsoft Signals Publicly" * GNU/Linux Desktops Equipped for Cloud Computing * Linux Hardware Support Better Than Professed by Vendors * If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough * Free (Libre) Java Lands in Debian GNU/Linux * GNU is Not UNIX and Linux is Not UNIX * Sub-notebooks Harness GNU/Linux with Vi...

pdfpages package for win32 MiKTeX
I download a file called pdfpages.tar.lzma from a w32 subdirectory from ctan but 7-zip cannot extract from that archive format. Is there another source of this package for w32 MikTeX? Where should it be installed in the MikTeX directory hierarchy? Thanks, Ed On Aug 5, 4:05=A0am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote: > I download a file called pdfpages.tar.lzma from a w32 subdirectory from > ctan but 7-zip cannot extract from that archive format. Is there another > source of this package for w32 MikTeX? Where should it be installed in > the MikTeX directory h...

Very Huge collection of Solutions Manuals & Test Banks
Hello, We would like to inform you that we have updated our list with the following new titles. You can contact us directly at Student.p24(at)Hotmail(dot)com . If the title you are looking for is not listed, do not hesitate to contact us, we will try to help. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 2011 Federal Taxation, 5th Edition 2011, Pratt.Kulsrud, Instructor Manual & Solutions Manual 2011 Federal Taxation, 5th Edition 2011, Pratt.Kulsrud, Test Bank 21st Century Astronomy, 3rd Edition, Blumenthal.Hester.Kay.Smith.Voss, Instructor Manual 21st Century Astronomy, 3rd ...

Problems with RubyGems on a Debian machine
I wasn't quite sure if I should of posted this in the Ruby forum or the Ruby on Rails forum but here it goes. So I've been trying to install rails onto a Debian (Lenny) machine of mine. I assumed from the readings I have done that RubyGems is supposed to take care of dependencies for me, but apparently on my machine it doesn't. It tries to install rails and then complains that I need a version of Rack 1.0.0 or newer. Now RubyGems will let me install packages that don't have the tree of dependencies like rails and so Rack and Rake install just fine. But when I go b...

debian
can I install debian over windows or do I have to partition my hard drive then install it in one partition and windows in the other? Bill Brazel wrote: > can I install debian over windows or do I have to partition my hard drive > then install it in one partition and windows in the other? To the first question: yes, if you want to get rid of Windows. To the second question: yes, if you want to keep Windows. Check out the Linux Documentation Project. You'll find instructions on how to dual-boot with another OS and plenty more. If you get stuck, ask here. http://...

Java Speech with manual grammar definition
Hi there, Is it possible to define a recognizer's grammar without using an external grammar file. I.e. Pass the grammar file a string with all the words in it? Thanks, James. P.S. Is there any thorough Java Speech tutorials out there? ...

[News] Debian GNU/Linux Installed on Toshiba

Is python+tkinter installed?
My latest adventure is attempting to use python's Tkinter module on a few machines. On my PB (OSX 10.3.9), I got the following confusing results: /Users/jc: python Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11) [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> import Tkinter Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py&quo...

How to install local module other than in "site-packages"?
(My apologies if this question shows up twice. I posted it quite a while ago, and it's yet to show up.) This is no doubt a beginner's question, but I've searched for the answer for quite a while, to no avail. I'm running Python 2.6 under Windows XP. How do I install a module that I wrote, without putting it in the site-packages directory for a specific release? I have stuff that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, ought to work under any release. I do not want to have multiple copies of it. When I edit one of the modules, I want it to "take&q...

Remote X under Debian 3.0
These days I am from from RedHat, Suse and Mandrake tot Debian. The onliest setback is that Remote X won't work, unlike the other distro's. Delletje is my laptop running Mandrake 8.2, the server is an old machine running Debian. Whatever I do I get on the laptop: martin@intern:~$ Xlib: connection to "delletje.intern.webhuis.nl:0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified kpm: cannot connect to X Server delletje.intern.webhuis:0.0 If I try on the server then it gives me the message that it couldn't connect to the (X) server. I roamed the net...

CTAN has a new package: ptex
The package below has been installed on tug.ctan.org and should soon be at your favorite mirror. Thank you, Jim Hefferon Saint Michael's College ......................................................................... The following information was provided by our fellow contributor: Name of contribution: ptex-src Author's name: Koji Yokota Location on CTAN: /language/japanese/ptex Summary description: pTeX, a Japanese TeX system License type: bsd Announcement text: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- pTeX is a TeX system by ASCII Co. Ltd. in BS...

Sample package
Hi All, I want to create a very simple db2 package and bind it . The test is to bind multiple versions of a package. So I want to first create a package ,bind it and then modify it to create another version . Any ideas about how to complete this exercise? Thanks . prabski "NU2_UDB" <prabski@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1109103507.255387.49950@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > I want to create a very simple db2 package and bind it . > > The test is to bind multiple versions of a package. > > So I want to first c...

Package organization: where to put 'common' modules?
Say I have the following package organization in a system I'm developing: A |----B |----C |----D I have a module, say 'foo', that both package D and B require. What is the best practice in terms of creating a 'common' package that hosts 'foo'? I want to be able to - Testing modules in D right in D's directory and testing modules in B in B's directory; - If possible, minimize the modification to PYTHONPATH or sys.path while doing the above. Is it possible? Thanks! Ok I guess a little more "hunch" might be needed to elicit suggestion...

Warning about debian multimedia repository.
... some of the stuff is incompatible with debian standard modules. It breaks vlc for example. Don't use it unless you really really have to! The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote: > .. some of the stuff is incompatible with debian standard modules. > > It breaks vlc for example. Don't use it unless you really really have to! Also, I could not find a source tarball for most of the files. The repository really needs to be split into sections, so that the source tarballs can be obtained and packages that have no source available can be avoided. Mark. ...

Need Some Intel User manuals
Hi everybody. I am in an urgent need of the following manuals. > Intel 8086/8088 User's Manual Programmer's and Hardware Reference, 1989/240487-001 > Intel "iAPX 86/88, 186/188 User's Manual" P/N 210911 > Intel "The 8086 Family User's Manual" P/N 9800722 If anybody have them, kindly email it at the following address: qraheel@gmail.com Thanking in advance ...

Installing new packages in the fink version of tetex for mac OSX
Hi, I want to install the beamer package on my mac, however, despite all efforts, I still get a message that beamer.cls cannot be found. I use the fink version of the tetex distribution, hence my folder structure is something like /sw/bin for the binaries, /sw/share/texmf, /sw/var/lib/texmf, /sw/share/texmf-local (which is a link to /sw/etc/texmf.local ), last three folders are searched by texhash for the ls-R database. I ran texhash multiple times, including reboots, and the ls-R is updates - I find the beamer package and beamer.cls (I copied the package to all the mentioned folders...

Forking Debian: it's come to this
This just went by on Google+ and it seems to be gaining traction: http://debianfork.org/ "Roll up your sleeves, we might have to fork Debian" It's concise enough I'll copy most of it here. Uncopied are the user comments at the bottom, which are interesting and essentially in support of forking Debian if the upcoming vote chooses to go with systemd. Reading this it occurs to me one solution is to let Ubuntu (which is clearly a desktop distro) integrate systemd, and keep Debian focused on servers, or desktops run by guys who aren't afraid to use a server dis...

Re: Help Installing Pegasus
Thanks to Benjamin Racinot for his response. My problem is knowing what to put in the locations for POP3 host, user name and password. Where do I get this info? I have been using Pegasus for several years so have no problems there but the loss of info (didn't have it saved elsewhere) is driving me crazy. Jerry g.litt@comcast.net ...

Very Huge collection of Solutions Manuals & Test Banks #2
5684 "Management; Leading & Collaborating in the Competitive World" 8th Edition Bateman Snell Instructor Manual 5685 "Management; Leading & Collaborating in the Competitive World" 8th Edition Bateman Snell Test Bank 5686 Managerial Accounting and MAL 12 month Access Code Package 1st Edition 2008 Bamber Braun Harrison Solutions Manual 5687 Managerial Accounting and MAL 12 month Access Code Package 1st Edition 2008 Bamber Braun Harrison Test Bank 5688 Managerial Accounting for Managers 1st Edition Noreen Brewer Garrison Instructor Manual 5689 Managerial Accounting for...

[News] Mark Shuttleworth Talks About GNOME 3.0 and Ubuntu

Graphical Installation problem
I hope this is the right forum for my problem...... I'm trying to install Red Hat 9 on a brand new, empty computer. The graphical installation option just gave a blank screen, so I installed using the text interface. This all went fine, but now I can only use linux in command line mode. The default, graphical boot up gives a blank screen, and typing startx at the command line gives the same blank screen. It seems possible that linux failed to detect the graphics card correctly. I looked in the file Xconfig file, and it seemed to contain a convincing sounding graphics card. ...