Debian - How do I mark a package as manually installed?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually
installed in the package database? I want to manage some packages
outside of the package management system, and I want to flag the
packages as manually installed.

I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
/bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
installed.

(My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
Debian.)

Gentoo offers this facilty through /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
and I am hoping for similar thing in Debian, perhaps through dpkg, or
similar tool.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley,
393 Quinton Road West,

See related articles to this posting

On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:

> I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually
> installed in the package database? I want to manage some packages
> outside of the package management system, and I want to flag the
> packages as manually installed.
>
> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
> installed.
>
> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
> Debian.)

You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can
use equivs.

0
Reply marcumbill (1024) 5/12/2008 1:58:07 AM

I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

> I am using Debian. Is there a way to mark a package as manually installed
> in the package database? I want to manage some packages outside of the
> package management system, and I want to flag the packages as manually
> installed.

  $ aptitude --help
   markauto     - Mark packages as having been automatically installed
   unmarkauto   - Mark packages as having been manually installed
  $

[snip]
| + Output *more* particulate pollutants.      BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

Information deteriorates upward through bureaucracies.
0
Reply news64 (1253) 5/12/2008 2:35:21 AM

I demand that Bill Marcum may or may not have written...

> On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
>> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
>> installed.

>> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
>> Debian.)

> You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can use
> equivs.

Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
(for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
install, mark as held.

|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Appearances often are deceiving.
0
Reply news64 (1253) 5/12/2008 2:38:39 AM

Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
> debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
> (for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
> install, mark as held.

Rather than creating dummies or repackaging everything for Debian, I
really would like to just manipulate the package database directly,
telling it that a package is manually installed, or held, or whatever,
or possibly set an artificially high version number against the package,
so that it never gets upgraded. Is there any easy way to do this?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley,
393 Quinton Road West,

Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>:
>  I demand that Bill Marcum may or may not have written...
>
> > On 2008-05-12, Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
>  [snip]
> >> I am replacing some core components marked as required (such as
> >> /bin/tar), and I want to mark the tar package and others as manually
> >> installed.
> >>
> >> (My versions are built using makefiles, and are not packaged for
> >> Debian.)
> >
> > You can create debs and install them (maybe by using alien), or you can use
> > equivs.
>
>  Add some deb-src lines to your sources.list, update, install devscripts &
>  debhelper, "apt-get source $PKG", apply your changes, modify debian/changelog
>  (for the version number, mainly) "apt-get build-dep $PKG", "debuild binary",
>  install, mark as held.

Piece of pie.  Easy as cake.  :-P

I'd suggest hanging out in debian-mentors for a few years.  It's what
I've been trying to do.

Reply keeling2 (143) 5/18/2008 3:54:20 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33316 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Install some packages with a shell script if they not installed on my debian box.
Hi all, I use Debian, and I write the following script to install some packages if they not installed currently on my system: $ cat test.sh #!/bin/bash for i in rsync sysv-rc-conf; do installstate=` dpkg --get-selections |egrep "^${i}([[:space:]]){1,}install $" ` if [ "${installstate}" != "" ]; then echo the package has been installed! continue; fi sudo apt-get install $i; done The above script can do the job. But if I use the following things for the if block: if [ "$( dpkg --get-selections |egrep "^${i}([[:space:]]){1,}inst...

Installing packages in Debian
Hi, I have installed some packages with the Synaptic package manager, but I can't find the programs i have installed. They aren't in the Applications menu. Where can i start them? On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:57:06 -0700, The Music Man wrote: > Hi, I have installed some packages with the Synaptic package manager, but > I can't find the programs i have installed. They aren't in the > Applications menu. Where can i start them? By typing their name into a a terminal and actually using debian rather than windows. X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Wind...

install package on debian
I hv installed the debian , where can I find the package for it ? I am new to it, i have some question , i hv d/l the package which are ..deb format , I only hv exprience to use rpm -ivh .rpm to install the RH package , could suggest how can I install these debian package ? besides , for the apt-get , I am also new to it , if i use it , do i need to setup the debian server to connect internet first ? thx in advance. mia456789@yahoo.com.hk wrote: > I hv installed the debian , where can I find the package for it ? at debian. > I am new to it, i have some question , i hv d/l the package...

Manual Debian Install?
Hi There, I've downloaded the first 3 ISO's and started to do the automated install (a bit slow on my spare PC which is only 233 MHz with like 40 MB of RAM and it went up fine until the part where it's going to install the kernel and modules. It indicates it's building a list of directores where the file "images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin" is located and it just hangs there. Not sure if this is just a hardware issue or if I'm doing something wrong, though not sure. It's basically just pop it in and let 'er rip. I did notice that at this point if I tr...

Manual Debian Install?
Hi There, I've downloaded the first 3 ISO's and started to do the automated install (a bit slow on my spare PC which is only 233 MHz with like 40 MB of RAM and it went up fine until the part where it's going to install the kernel and modules. It indicates it's building a list of directores where the file "images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin" is located and it just hangs there. Not sure if this is just a hardware issue or if I'm doing something wrong, though not sure. It's basically just pop it in and let 'er rip. I did notice that at this point if I tr...

How to install rpm packages on Debian
I'm not sure if this is the best group to post this, perhaps someone can point me somewhere else if more appropriate... I'm new to linux, but got my first installation set-up today (Debian 2.4.26-1-386). The main reason I built this installation is that I wanted to try out the newest version of the Ingres RDBMS (r3) from www.ca.com and it's only available as a Red Hat distribution. I have got really stuck trying to get this installed. It comes in about 20 rpm files, but Debian won't let me run the Ingres licence or installer scripts. I got errors about nee...

Downloading and Installing Packages Manually?
Hi, While I'm waiting for an FTP account to be able to FTP through our company's firewall, I was wondering if there is a way to manually download and install packages intead of going through the package manager. Any tips would be appreciated. -- Randy Yates Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Research Triangle Park, NC, USA randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124 02 Nov 2004 18:21:31 -0500, Randy Yates wrote: > While I'm waiting for an FTP account to be able to FTP > through our company's firewall, I was wondering if > there is a way to ...

debian: how to install/maintain perl packages?
I'm confused about how to install perl packages on a debian system, to allow easy maintenance and upgrades. Many perl packages exist as debian distros, and so can be installed (as root) into the standard system perl library tree, and easily upgraded using apt-get or aptitude. (However, from aptitude, it is difficult to see which perl modules they contain.) Using the cpan script or shell, it is not clear whether I should install packages as root or as a normal user, and, if as user, where these should go. Same question, if I download packages directly from CPAN. Can someone provide su...

Preventing a Debian package from installing (Pinning out)
How to I prevent a package from installing on a Debian system? I know it is possible to hold a package to prevent upgrade, but I want to hold a package to prevent it from being installed at all. Please advise. Regards, Mark. -- Mark Hobley 393 Quinton Road West QUINTON Birmingham B32 1QE Telephone: (0121) 247 1596 International: 0044 121 247 1596 Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com http://markhobley.yi.org/ Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com> wrote: > How to I prevent a package from installing on a Debian system? I have created a configurati...

Installing new software packages in Debian
I want to try installing Debian but I don't understand how to install new software packages, including how to compile them. I once used to use Slakware back in 1992 and later switched to Red Hat when they were new. I knew these well, but now I want to switch to Debian because I think Red Hat is too commercialized. Trouble is, I installed Debian once a while back and just couldn't figure out some simple things so went back to W2000pro: My questions are about Debian: Is there a package installer? How is it used? How about documentation? A book? I am totally green to Debian and...

Debian-Installer: No choice to partition manually
Hi folks, when I try to install the newest testing-version of debian (dvd), which I downloaded 2 days ago and I get to the point of partitioning - I have no choice to do it manually. Even if I try do let him do it for me, it doesn't work. I tried it on my Notebook ASUS S5N My hdd is 40Gb big and has a 30Gb Fat32 logical-partiton at the end. Any help is apreciated, Gerhard ...

problem with bind manually installation on debian
--f46d04426e1675698b04baaa4f9b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 hi i have problem with installing bind (i tried 9.7.4,9.8.1,9.9.0 versions) service manually on debian squeeze, the problem is the service is installed but i cant find the configuration file and there is some error logs, please can you suggest a solution for this problem, the installation steps are ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/bind9 make make install --f46d04426e1675698b04baaa4f9b Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 <div dir="ltr">hi <br>i have problem with installing...

How do I install CTAN package DCpic to teTeX on Debian?
DCpic looks good for commutative diagrams. It seems to require another package, PiCTeX. I'd like to try DCpic, using LaTeX, on a Debian box. The box has teTeX installed, and managed by the Debian package system. What are the commands to install DCpic and all required packages? Jay Sulzberger Jay Sulzberger wrote: > DCpic looks good for commutative diagrams. It seems to require > another package, PiCTeX. I'd like to try DCpic, using LaTeX, on > a Debian box. The box has teTeX installed, and managed by the > Debian package system. What are the commands to install D...

debian kpackage no longer installs/remove packages
When in the past kpackage would ask for root password now I only get a blinking cursor w/o a prompt. I can not find a log file anywhere to help me out. Apt-get seems to work fine. any clues to fixing this will be helpful Thank you John ...

Querying the (Install) Status of a Debian/Ubuntu Package
How do I query if a given (got from dpkg-query) package is installed? Good performance and easy output parsing is of importance. Do I have to use apt or does dpkg provides this info somehow? Thanks in advance, Nordl=F6w ...

How do i extract files from an package so i can manually install them?
Hi. I have an installation where some files in /usr/bin has been corrupt. Now i need to install them again, but i don�t wan�t to install the whole package again, only the specified files. for example, the filesixe of /usr/bin/su and /usr/bin/du is not what they should be. Is it possible to extract those original files from Solaris install CD:s nad then manually copy and replace them? How do i do that? The package is SUNWcsu, which contains a lot of the base install files. //Rickard Hansson On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:09:36 -0700, Rickard Hansson wrote: > Hi. > > I have an inst...

Debian
In Debian, the dpkg-query tool can be used to list files belonging to an installed package within the package database: dpkg-query -L dash This reports a list of files. However, if I try to query the list of files in a package that is not installed, I get an error: dpkg-query -L hello Package `hello' is not installed. Is there a way to query the package database for a list of files for a package that is not installed? I know that I can download the package archive, and query it with dpkg-deb, but I would rather query the database directly, or if this information is not availabl...

Querying the (Install) Status of a Debian/Ubuntu Package
How do I query if a given (got from dpkg-query) package is installed? Good performance and easy output parsing is of importance. Do I have to use apt or does dpkg provides this info somehow? Thanks in advance, Nordl=F6w ...

Please advise...Install Ruby from Debian Package or Source?
I'd like to install Ruby on a Debian server. Is it better to install the latest stable snapshot or install the Debian package? What are the pros and cons? I noticed the Debian package for Ruby is split up into numerous packages. I don't mind this but I'm wondering how often the Debian Ruby package will be updated with fixes from Ruby 1.8.2 branch. And I'm not sure how Debian's Ruby package corresponds (if at all) to a stable snapshot. For example, the current package is 1.8.2 2004-12-06 which is after preview3--and I'm not sure if it is a stable snapshot from...

Possible to manually mark routine packages as inoperative in DB2LUW?
Hi all, Is there a mechanism for manually marking routine packages as inoperative in DB2LUW? The problem I'm trying to solve is one of recreating interdependent functions. My application creates a number of functions during its installation. A later version of the application introduces changes to some of these functions and needs to recreate those that were affected. Now, I cannot drop some of these since they are used by other functions. I've been looking for a way of avoiding dropping all dependant before recreating a function. I was wondering whether dependant funct...

install tarball package Python on Debian, necessary modules not found
I use Debian Lenny and I tried to install the tarball packaging of the lastest python realease (http://www.python.org/download/, release 3.1). After read README file I launch standard Makefile commands. But at the end of "make" command, I have got this message: "... Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found: _curses _curses_panel _dbm _gdbm _hashlib _sqlite3 _ssl _tkinter bz2 readline To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name....

[ANN] Debian ruby-full package
Hello Debian Ruby users, I have seen many complaints on this list that the debian ruby packages are split into several small components, which makes it a pain to get a 'genuine' ruby install. Though this is not about to change (for many reasons, all too long to fit here), I've uploaded to the unstable distribution a dependency package, ruby-full, that should pull in all the required dependencies to get a decent Ruby experience. The only exception is the Ruby/Tcl bindings, which are only recommended. If any debian users doesn't seem to be able to use some of ruby...

Can tlmgr install package's pdf manual?
Hi there, For example if I need to browse the manual of siunitx, what is the effortlessly way to get it to my computer? Thanks. Leo On Apr 15, 10:55=A0pm, Leo Liu <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > For example if I need to browse the manual of siunitx, what is the > effortlessly way to get it to my computer? Thanks. hmm, well texlive 2012 is frozen apparently. (and to think i had by chance updated my system last night!) i was going to suggest: tlmgr install --file siunitx.pdf # drawback: you need to know the filename but i can't test i...

[News] New Debian Community Poll Debian, How Debian Deals With Packages (Better Than Windows)