does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

Hi all,

This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
browsing and posting and replying messages.

I frequently visit several such Firebird variant BBS systems. When you post
a message, you have to first login on, and select a category/board, then
post, etc. It is not very convinient. I want to automate the process and
write a program for myself, so every parameters such as account username,
password, etc. can be simplified and fixed a priori.

The best interface would be like a EMAIL client, in a drop-down menu, it
list some discussion forum/board/category names, I select multiple boards,
and then I write a message, then by one clike, I can post my messages to
several selected destined boards/categories/forums...

Does anybody know the simplest way to write a client program to do such
automation? I am not a very good programmer, so I really want to use the
method that is easiest for me to implement. I don't care about slowness or
ugly interface...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

0
housing2006 (283)

On comp.os.linux.misc, in <em32eu$lkp$1@news.Stanford.EDU>, "Mike" wrote:

A Stanford student who can't even use google?

> From: "Mike" <housing2006@gmail.com>

Except for mail...

> Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
> Subject: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

A Stanford student with the grammar of a 3rd Grader?

> Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:27:15 -0800

I think I will. They shouldn't let lazy people like this into
their school. No way will he be able to graduate without a
lot cheating/bribery.

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

There are still BBSs running. You'd know that if you'd spent
two minutes on google.

I don't think you are a student at Stanford. I think you are
a troll using their lan. Mabye with their knowledge, maybe
not.

Only trolls call themselves "Mike" and use gmail and excessively
crosspost and post subject lines that are way too long and are
nearly illiterate and are lazy as hell.

Alan

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor
0
Mike wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages.

There were lots of different BBS programs, depending on the platform ie
Amiga, IBM pc. Shappire springs to mind for the pc. You should Google, BBS
did a lot more than you think it did.

Dave
0
me4 (19624)
12/17/2006 11:54:14 AM
Mike wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas.

Telnet is only one means. Simple serial over modem was very common.
Hotline and other proprietary network protocols also exist.

> There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages. ...
>
> The best interface would be like a EMAIL client, in a drop-down menu, it
> list some discussion forum/board/category names, I select multiple boards,
> and then I write a message, then by one clike, I can post my messages to
> several selected destined boards/categories/forums...
>
> Does anybody know the simplest way to write a client program to do such
> automation? I am not a very good programmer, so I really want to use the
> method that is easiest for me to implement. I don't care about slowness or
> ugly interface...

The first thing to establish is whether the protocol and existing
client/server code is open or proprietary. If it's open(source) then
you have a much better chance of succeeding with a replacement client.

--Toby

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot!

0
toby23 (1177)
12/17/2006 12:01:16 PM
toby wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> > system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> > browsing and posting and replying messages. ...

> > Does anybody know the simplest way to write a client program to do such
> > automation? I am not a very good programmer, so I really want to use the
> > method that is easiest for me to implement. I don't care about slowness or
> > ugly interface...
>
> The first thing to establish is whether the protocol and existing
> client/server code is open or proprietary. If it's open(source) then
> you have a much better chance of succeeding with a replacement client.

And if not, you could wrap "expect" around it.

--
Tony Lawrence
Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

0
pcunix (620)
12/17/2006 12:24:58 PM
"Mike" <housing2006@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages.
>
> I frequently visit several such Firebird variant BBS systems. When you post
> a message, you have to first login on, and select a category/board, then
> post, etc. It is not very convinient. I want to automate the process and
> write a program for myself, so every parameters such as account username,
> password, etc. can be simplified and fixed a priori.
>
> The best interface would be like a EMAIL client, in a drop-down menu, it
> list some discussion forum/board/category names, I select multiple boards,
> and then I write a message, then by one clike, I can post my messages to
> several selected destined boards/categories/forums...
>
> Does anybody know the simplest way to write a client program to do such
> automation? I am not a very good programmer, so I really want to use the
> method that is easiest for me to implement. I don't care about slowness or
> ugly interface...
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, as Tony mentionned, expect will be essential to interface to the BBS.
You can write an expect script for each kind of BBS.

But note that since the advent of Internet, a lot of these BBS also
have already a gateway to the Web or email (mail-lists).  I guess
information about it would be given on the BBS itself.

"Klingon function calls do not have "parameters" -- they have
"arguments" and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."
0
pjb (7870)
12/17/2006 1:57:12 PM
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-13347-1166364774-0001

Usenet Beavis writes:

> On comp.os.linux.misc, in <em32eu$lkp$1@news.Stanford.EDU>, "Mike" wrote:
>
> A Stanford student who can't resist smacking my bitch up?

It's a national pastime, Beavis.

>> Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
>> Subject: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?
>
> A Stanford student who points his finger at me, and laughs?

Guess which finger I'm pointing at you now?

> I think I will. Thing must be a bit dull over there, so I'm sure
> they'll appreciate reading one of my kookfarts.

Go for it.

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> There are still people around who think that I'm a normal person.

We'll do our best to clear up a misconception.

> I don't think you'll believe that I'm Usenet's village idiot.

What's so hard to believe about that?

> Only my mental superiors cause me to have major kookfarts and use
> gmail to smack me around.

There's a long waiting line for that.

> Beavis
>
> --
> http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-13347-1166364774-0001

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-13347-1166364774-0001--
0
sam217 (1634)
12/17/2006 2:12:54 PM
"Mike" (housing2006@gmail.com) writes:
> Hi all,
>
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages.

Did you really have to post it to 4 different newsgroups?

What you're missing is that BBSs were running on either the bare CPU,
or a rudimentary operating system.  The BBS software had to supply
everything.  (See the article in 1978, I forget the month, in Byte
magazine by either Ward Christenson or Randy Seuss (or maybe it
was by both) about their BBS, which is said to be the first to run
on a small computer.)

There were all kinds of kludges, to feed in Usenet, and to make
use of more memory, that all pretty much derived from the limited
software.

Nowadays, all you'd really need is a system running Linux.  All they
key bits, newsgroups, email, whatever else, are all there out of
the box and doing it all well.  If you want to limit what they can
do with the system, then you let them see nothing more than a menu,
that lets them start something like Pine for email (and even newsgroups
if you like), start up a newsreader for the newsgroups (and you can
have your own local-only newsgroups) and whatever else you want
them to be able to do.  No kludges, and it's all pretty much a very
standard system.

If you want to link with other BBSs, that may complicate matters since
they would use a BBS-specific arrangement for the message boards and
maybe even the transfer of those messages.

But the basic concept is far more doable with Linux than it ever was with
BBS software.

  Michael
0
et4722 (580)
12/17/2006 3:59:35 PM
> What you're missing is that BBSs were running on either the bare CPU,
> or a rudimentary operating system.

You think the Amiga had a rudimentary OS ?

Dave

0
me4 (19624)
12/17/2006 6:14:48 PM
Mike wrote
(in article <em32eu$lkp$1@news.Stanford.EDU>):

> Hi all,
>
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),

Not really so much a "technology" as a forerunner to the modern
Forum website, usually with file upload/download capabilities
(XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM, etc.).  But, with (usually) only one
person being able to access it at a time, over a conventional
phone line.  Some "fancy" systems ran something like DoubleDos
with multiple phone lines and could have more than one person
using them at a time.  Baud rates of 110, 300, 1200, 2400 were
typical until near the end of the "era" so to speak.  I ran
several, some for private hobby purposes, others for businesses,
which used them for electronic technical support forums and
patch download services back before anyone had heard of the
"information superhighway".

> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages.

Some also hosted games, supported ASCII color and graphics and
some crude animation.

> I frequently visit several such Firebird variant BBS systems. When you post
> a message, you have to first login on, and select a category/board, then
> post, etc. It is not very convinient.

No.  It was pretty cool in the 70s and 80s though.  A matter or
perspective.

> I want to automate the process and
> write a program for myself, so every parameters such as account username,
> password, etc. can be simplified and fixed a priori.

Download any of a number of MySQL-based web forum packages and
you're done.  Most are open source if you want to tinker around.
> Does anybody know the simplest way to write a client program to do such
> automation? I am not a very good programmer, so I really want to use the
> method that is easiest for me to implement. I don't care about slowness or
> ugly interface...

See above, this wheel has been invented quite a few times
already.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw

0
randyhoward (4848)
12/17/2006 8:20:31 PM
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:27:15 -0800, Mike <housing2006@gmail.com> wrote:

>  This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board
>  System), which is a telnet based forum

Actually, they were dialup until Internet made widespread use of telnet
possible. I used to love my local board.

>  I want to automate the process and write a program for myself, so
>  every parameters such as account username, password, etc. can be
>  simplified and fixed a priori.

I used to use Zap-O-Comm under OS/2, and there's a Windows version.
Damned shame it's not available for Linux, as it's an *excellent*
telnet client, ssh client, and terminal emulator.
    http://www.emtec.com/zoc/

For Linux, I'd probably use Kermit.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

>  The best interface would be like a EMAIL client in a drop-down menu,
>  it list some discussion forum/board/category names, I select
>  multiple boards, and then I write a message, then by one clike, I
>  can post my messages to several selected destined
>  boards/categories/forums...

THIS doesn't sound like a terminal emulator; this sounds like an
offline mail reader. I liked MultiMail. It reads Blue Wave, QWK, OMEN
and SOUP packets and is available for Linux (as an RPM or as source),
MS-DOS, OS/2, Win2k/XP, and OSX.

    http://multimail.sourceforge.net/

0
chinos6398 (159)
12/18/2006 9:03:55 PM
Hey, BBSes aren't old! If they were, then _I_ would have to be old --
and we all know _that_ can't be the case!

--Esther
  who was sysop on several BBSes

Mike wrote:
> This is about an old technology term called BBS(Bulletin Board System),
> which is a telnet based forum that people can post messages and reply
> messages and exchange ideas. There is one such system called Firebird BBS
> system, and it had many variants, the later variants allow web-based
> browsing and posting and replying messages.

0
esther (77)
12/18/2006 9:29:35 PM
On 18 Dec 2006 13:29:35 -0800, estherschindler <esther@bitranch.com> wrote:

>  Hey, BBSes aren't old! If they were, then _I_ would have to be
>  old -- and we all know _that_ can't be the case!

Absolutely not! :)

I haven't seen you in a while. Are either you or your husband still
using OS/2 in any way?

0
chinos6398 (159)
12/19/2006 7:04:31 AM
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
"Mike" <housing2006@gmail.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I frequently visit several such Firebird variant BBS systems. When you post
>a message, you have to first login on, and select a category/board, then
>post, etc. It is not very convinient. I want to automate the process and
>write a program for myself, so every parameters such as account username,
>password, etc. can be simplified and fixed a priori.

Most DOS communications programs used during the height of the BBS era
(Telix, Telemate, Terminate, Procomm+, HA/5, {COMMO}, etc) had decent
scripting languages that allowed for such automation.

Alternatively, most BBSes also provides a QWK door for offline reading
of messages.  QWK readers like MultiMail should still exist for Linux.

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
12/20/2006 4:36:56 AM
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
"estherschindler" <esther@bitranch.com> spake unto us, saying:

>Hey, BBSes aren't old! If they were, then _I_ would have to be old --
>and we all know _that_ can't be the case!

Heh.  No, no, that obviously couldn't be true.  :-)

>--Esther
>  who was sysop on several BBSes

I wasn't a sysop but I spent a LOT of time on Fido and RIME and also
calling big BBSes like Exec-PC and Channel 1 for the latest files, but
I didn't really start playing with such things until 1989 or so.

For those who don't know -- Exec-PC is still around.  Just telnet to
bbs.execpc.com (preferably with a Zmodem-capable telnet client like
ztelnet or mTelnet) and have fun exploring the file collections!  :-)

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
12/20/2006 4:41:22 AM
Richard Steiner wrote:
> "Mike" <housing2006@gmail.com> spake unto us, saying:
>
>> I frequently visit several such Firebird variant BBS systems.
>> When you post a message, you have to first login on, and select
>> a category/board, then post, etc. It is not very convinient. I
>> want to automate the process and write a program for myself, so
>> every parameters such as account username, password, etc. can be
>> simplified and fixed a priori.
>
> Most DOS communications programs used during the height of the
> BBS era (Telix, Telemate, Terminate, Procomm+, HA/5, {COMMO}, etc)
> had decent scripting languages that allowed for such automation.
>
> Alternatively, most BBSes also provides a QWK door for offline
> reading of messages.  QWK readers like MultiMail should still
> exist for Linux.

I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
terminal).

The laptop can't use windows because I blew it away for insisting
on assent to the impossible EULA, and it has no recovery CD.

If I could find and install such things as Ztelnet or mTelnet I
might be able to break the impasse.  Even xxmodem.

I have secured the 6 CD set for Slackware 11, which I hope will
have everything needed on the CDs.  I'll get around to trying it
real soon now.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/20/2006 8:13:16 AM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:13:16 -0500, CBFalconer
  <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
> terminal).

Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable (not
sure how you would set up the Windows end).

--
If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system.
Bill Marcum wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
>> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
>> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
>> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>> terminal).
>
> Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable
> (not sure how you would set up the Windows end).

No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]

comp.programming and comp.os.linux.misc restored, since I don't
inhabit c.o.l.d.  Added alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/20/2006 3:10:59 PM
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:10:59 -0500, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Bill Marcum wrote:
>> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
>>> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
>>> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
>>> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
>>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>>> terminal).
>>
>> Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable
>> (not sure how you would set up the Windows end).
>
>No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(

According to http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/comm/minicom , it
*is* there.  It may not be in the menus, but I'm sure a search from a
shell prompt would turn it up.  And it specifically mentions zmodem
support.
0
rkh (3)
12/20/2006 7:52:12 PM
rkh@hallorans.org wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Bill Marcum wrote:

>>> Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable
>>> (not sure how you would set up the Windows end).
>>
>> No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(
>
> According to http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/comm/minicom , it
> *is* there.  It may not be in the menus, but I'm sure a search from a
> shell prompt would turn it up.  And it specifically mentions zmodem
> support.

I based my 'not there' on running synaptic and doing a search for
'minicom'.  The 6.06 CD is mounted.  Is there operator error
involved?  I also just did a "grep minicom /cdrom/md5sum.txt" with
no result.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/20/2006 9:05:13 PM
CBFalconer wrote:
> rkh@hallorans.org wrote:
>> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(
>> According to http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/comm/minicom , it
>> *is* there.  It may not be in the menus, but I'm sure a search from a
>> shell prompt would turn it up.  And it specifically mentions zmodem
>> support.
>
> I based my 'not there' on running synaptic and doing a search for
> 'minicom'.  The 6.06 CD is mounted.  Is there operator error
> involved?  I also just did a "grep minicom /cdrom/md5sum.txt" with
> no result.

have to run apt-get install minicom to find it and install it from the
CD. Have to run it as sudo tho
0
vejan (1)
12/21/2006 12:24:13 AM
try DOSBox

"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Bill Marcum wrote:
>> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
>>> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
>>> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
>>> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
>>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>>> terminal).
>>
>> Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable
>> (not sure how you would set up the Windows end).
>
> No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(
>
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]
>
> comp.programming and comp.os.linux.misc restored, since I don't
> inhabit c.o.l.d.  Added alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>
> --
>   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
>   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
gbashore (20)
12/21/2006 4:17:26 AM
vejan wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote:
>> rkh@hallorans.org wrote:
>>> According to http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/comm/minicom , it
>>> *is* there.  It may not be in the menus, but I'm sure a search from a
>>> shell prompt would turn it up.  And it specifically mentions zmodem
>>> support.
>>
>> I based my 'not there' on running synaptic and doing a search for
>> 'minicom'.  The 6.06 CD is mounted.  Is there operator error
>> involved?  I also just did a "grep minicom /cdrom/md5sum.txt" with
>> no result.
>
> have to run apt-get install minicom to find it and install it from the
> CD. Have to run it as sudo tho

Result (typed, can't paste across machines):

  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dpendency tree... Done
  E: Couldn't find package minicom

Now what?

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/21/2006 4:34:03 AM
On 2006-12-20, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
> terminal).

it can be done...  linux hs serial support, you just need to
convert the packages to an ascii format
if you have uuencode that would be a good way...

Bye.
   Jasen
0
jasen3 (149)
12/21/2006 5:33:43 AM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:34:03 -0500, CBFalconer
  <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Result (typed, can't paste across machines):
>
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dpendency tree... Done
>   E: Couldn't find package minicom
>
> Now what?

If it is on the CD, the .deb file would be under pool/main/m.
I don't have a dapper CD, but I have breezy and I see it isn't on that
CD.  Perhaps you could download from packages.ubuntu.com using the
machine from which you are posting.  Oh, but you still have the
chicken-egg problem of getting the file to the crippled laptop with no
floppy or network.  Do you have a cd burner or a USB flash drive?

--
<Oryn> anyone know if there is a version of dpkg for redhat?
0
Bill Marcum wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:34:03 -0500, CBFalconer
>   <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Result (typed, can't paste across machines):
>>
>>   Reading package lists... Done
>>   Building dpendency tree... Done
>>   E: Couldn't find package minicom
>>
>> Now what?
>
> If it is on the CD, the .deb file would be under pool/main/m.
> I don't have a dapper CD, but I have breezy and I see it isn't on
> that CD.  Perhaps you could download from packages.ubuntu.com
> using the machine from which you are posting.  Oh, but you still
> have the chicken-egg problem of getting the file to the crippled
> laptop with no floppy or network.  Do you have a cd burner or a
> USB flash drive?
>
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]

Cross-post restored.  I don't inhabit c.o.l.d.a.

As I pointed out in the original, no cd burner on the other
machine, and the USB flash only works on the laptop, not the
networked machine (which runs W98FE).  Been there.

Eventual possible solutions include installing W98SE on this
machine, which would be very awkward and not guaranteed to bring
the flash to life, and getting another machine with a CD writer.
Since I have spent most of the summer and a good portion of the
fall in the hospital, I am not enthusiastic about either.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/21/2006 10:49:38 AM

> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
> terminal).

Could you boot your primary machine using an Ubuntu (or any other Linux)
Live Disk, copy 'whatever' down onto a, hopefully now working, USB then load
the 'whatever' onto your laptop?

--
Stuart

0
Stuart
12/21/2006 2:12:06 PM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 05:49:38 -0500
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As I pointed out in the original, no cd burner on the other
> machine, and the USB flash only works on the laptop, not the
> networked machine (which runs W98FE).  Been there.

	Hmm I'd be inclined to try SLIP or PPP over the serial line direct
linked between the Win98 and the laptop.

                                            |    http://www.sohara.org/
0
steveo (475)
12/21/2006 3:39:01 PM
In comp.os.linux.misc CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
: I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
: 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
: network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
: modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
: machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
: system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
: although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
: can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
: terminal).

The T30 has onboard LAN, so why not just hook an ethernet cable
between the two machines and be done with it? Depending uopn
your NIC's you might need a crossover cable but that's readily available.

Use the Windows machine as a gateway if you need live network
access on the Linux machine.

: The laptop can't use windows because I blew it away for insisting
: on assent to the impossible EULA, and it has no recovery CD.

Perhaps not the most brilliant move.
In any case you can most likely get a recovery CD from the manufacturer.

Stan

--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com
Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> As I pointed out in the original, no cd burner on the other
>> machine, and the USB flash only works on the laptop, not the
>> networked machine (which runs W98FE).  Been there.
>
> Hmm I'd be inclined to try SLIP or PPP over the serial line
> direct linked between the Win98 and the laptop.

That sounds interesting.  Now how do I do that, step by step, on
both machines.  My ignorance of networking is impressive.  It may
suffice to set up the TCP/IP link with slip on the laptop, since I
use an external modem anyhow.  A long time ago I did it with
Mandrake 8.0, but I forget how, and I suspect things are different
anyhow.  The laptop (at present) is running Ubuntu.  The point of
having a suitable terminal is that I can check the system is
talking to the modem by typing AT commands.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/22/2006 3:15:37 AM
Stuart wrote:

> "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
> > 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
> > network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
> > modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
> > machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
> > system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
> > although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
> > can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
> > terminal).
>
> Could you boot your primary machine using an Ubuntu (or any other
> Linux) Live Disk, copy 'whatever' down onto a, hopefully now working,
> USB then load the 'whatever' onto your laptop?

That too is a reasonable idea.  In fact I could simply boot it into
the existing Mandrake 8.0 system, which already talks to the
modem.  If that will talk to the flash I should have it made.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/22/2006 3:19:33 AM
stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

.... snip ...

>> The laptop can't use windows because I blew it away for insisting
>> on assent to the impossible EULA, and it has no recovery CD.
>
> Perhaps not the most brilliant move.  In any case you can most
> likely get a recovery CD from the manufacturer.

True.  They won't supply a recover CD, but they did send me a
replacement HD with the original installation.  The problem there
is that I can't get the old HD out by following instructions
without undue violence.  I don't want to crack the plastic into
small insignificant shards.  I don't know where to call the
co-operative man who sent me the replacement, and am hoping he will
call to ask why I haven't returned a drive.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/22/2006 3:24:10 AM
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> writes:

> True.  They won't supply a recover CD, but they did send me a
> replacement HD with the original installation.  The problem there
> is that I can't get the old HD out by following instructions
> without undue violence.  I don't want to crack the plastic into
> small insignificant shards.  I don't know where to call the
> co-operative man who sent me the replacement, and am hoping he will
> call to ask why I haven't returned a drive.

It's a shame that it's so difficult to remove the hard drive.
I've found that one of the easiest ways to deal with a
difficult-to-install laptop is to remove the hard drive,
plug it into a desktop system to do the basic install, and then
return it to the laptop.  It only takes a simple adapter ($10 or
less) to plug a laptop hard drive into a desktop IDE socket.
--
"...I've forgotten where I was going with this,
 but you can bet it was scathing."
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> As I pointed out in the original, no cd burner on the other
> >> machine, and the USB flash only works on the laptop, not the
> >> networked machine (which runs W98FE).  Been there.
> >
> > Hmm I'd be inclined to try SLIP or PPP over the serial line
> > direct linked between the Win98 and the laptop.
>
> That sounds interesting.  Now how do I do that, step by step, on
> both machines.

	Ah now you've got me :) I could almost certainly get it up and
running if I were sitting at the boxes but I've never run Ubuntu.

	I suggest looking for docs on setting Ubuntu up to serve PPP
connections on the serial port (like an ISP), connect the serial ports and
set Win98 up for a dial up connection with no phone number (I think that
suffices to stop it fiddling with AT commands). Assign fixed IP addresses to
both ends.

                                            |    http://www.sohara.org/
0
steveo (475)
12/22/2006 6:47:59 AM
On 2006-12-20, Bill Marcum <marcumbill@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.development.apps.]
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:13:16 -0500, CBFalconer
>  <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
>> machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
>> system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
>> although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>> terminal).
>
> Minicom can do zmodem.

not unassisted. if lszrz is on the ubuntu cd that's all that's needed,
(just run getty on the serial port and connect with a windows terminal
program, and upload files)

without lszrz file transfers become more difficult,
is uudecode available?  it's not a show stopper if not,

But I don't know of any windows progs that can escape binary files
correctly for bash, but if you can program in qbasic...

> You can also do ppp with a null modem cable (not sure how you would
> set up the Windows end).

There's a howto, (it involves the windows direct cable connection thing,
ppp, and chat) I had it working once, but now it's gone south and I can't
get it going again.

Bye.
   Jasen
0
jasen
12/22/2006 7:03:13 AM
CBFalconer wrote
(in article <4588F09C.9049866F@yahoo.com>):

> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.

By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
at all?  Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
for some reason?

> My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the
> USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
> although the T30 can.

Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
or just not the file system on it?  Have you tried reformatting
it under Win98?  I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
without difficulty.  The only variation in behavior seems to be
some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
USB.

> I can't use a null modem cable because I
> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
> terminal).

I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw

0
randyhoward (4848)
12/22/2006 7:52:10 PM
Randy Howard wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote
>
>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.
>
> By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
> at all?  Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
> for some reason?
>
>> My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can
>> the USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the
>> purpose, although the T30 can.
>
> Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
> or just not the file system on it?  Have you tried reformatting
> it under Win98?  I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
> without difficulty.  The only variation in behavior seems to be
> some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
> USB.
>
>> I can't use a null modem cable because I
>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>> terminal).
>
> I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
> actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
> going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
> data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

Precisely.  I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
trying.  One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about.  It may
recognize and use the flash drive.  I know it can access the
Internet and the Windows files.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/23/2006 12:35:21 AM
CBFalconer wrote
(in article <458C79C9.D2AFF3BF@yahoo.com>):

> Randy Howard wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote
>>
>>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.
>>
>> By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
>> at all?  Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
>> for some reason?
>>
>>> My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can
>>> the USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the
>>> purpose, although the T30 can.
>>
>> Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
>> or just not the file system on it?  Have you tried reformatting
>> it under Win98?  I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
>> without difficulty.  The only variation in behavior seems to be
>> some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
>> USB.
>>
>>> I can't use a null modem cable because I
>>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>>> terminal).
>>
>> I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
>> actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
>> going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
>> data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?
>
> Precisely.  I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
> trying.  One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
> mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about.  It may
> recognize and use the flash drive.  I know it can access the
> Internet and the Windows files.

Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire.  Take the
drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly.  Copy all
of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw

0
randyhoward (4848)
12/23/2006 3:51:34 AM
Randy Howard wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote
>> Randy Howard wrote:

.... snip ...

>>> I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
>>> actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
>>> going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
>>> data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?
>>
>> Precisely.  I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
>> trying.  One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
>> mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about.  It may
>> recognize and use the flash drive.  I know it can access the
>> Internet and the Windows files.
>
> Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
> enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
> is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire.  Take the
> drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
> and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly.  Copy all
> of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.

That's another viable suggestion.  It has the disadvantage of
needing new hardware.  I think the first thing I will try is the
Mandrake.  These things will wait till after Christmas.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/23/2006 4:15:29 AM
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> burped up warm pablum in

>> Minicom can do zmodem.  You can also do ppp with a null modem cable
>> (not sure how you would set up the Windows end).
>
> No such item as minicom on the Ubuntu CD. Thus I can't use it :-(

Is the rzsz package on your Ubuntu CDs?  Rz and sz can receive and send
files by x, y and zmodem.

--
Tris Orendorff
[Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?

0
triso (302)
12/23/2006 5:28:50 AM
CBFalconer wrote:
> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As I pointed out in the original, no cd burner on the other
>>> machine, and the USB flash only works on the laptop, not the
>>> networked machine (which runs W98FE).  Been there.
>> Hmm I'd be inclined to try SLIP or PPP over the serial line
>> direct linked between the Win98 and the laptop.
>
> That sounds interesting.  Now how do I do that, step by step, on
> both machines.  My ignorance of networking is impressive.  It may
> suffice to set up the TCP/IP link with slip on the laptop, since I
> use an external modem anyhow.

If all you're trying to do is transfer a few files to the Linux
machine (I haven't been following this thread), it seems like
overkill though.  Just use uuencode and uudecode.  Create a
uuencoded version of the file, send it over the serial port to
the Linux machine, then use some program ("cat" if you have to,
but probably "tip" or "cu") to capture the data coming over the
serial port.  Then hand-edit the captured data with a text editor,
fix line endings if necessary, remove everything before the "begin"
line and after the "end" line, and run "uudecode" on the result.

Your serial line doesn't have to "8-bit clean", you don't need a
fancy modem file transfer protocol like z-modem, and you should
have all the tools to do this already available on a Linux install,
that is unless Linux ships without uudecode or something silly
like that.

   - Logan
0
lshaw-usenet (927)
12/23/2006 5:29:48 AM
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I've got a chicken/egg situation here.  I have a laptop with Ubuntu
>6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access.  I can't get
>network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
>modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.  My primary
>machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs.  Nor can the USB
>system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
>although the T30 can.  I can't use a null modem cable because I
>can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
>terminal).

I used to have a firewall box set up even back in the dial-up days to
solve problems like this.  I would use the external USR HST/DS modem on
my firewall to connect to my ISP, I'd use IP Masqerading on that box to
allow access to the other boxes in my LAN, and I'd use ethernet+TCP/IP
on all of the other boxes to access the internet.

That would allow any box to get access to the net as long as I could
get its network card to work -- very helpful for laptops with strange
modem hardware.  It also provides an additional level of protection for
boxes running Windows variants (no direct exposure to the net).

That might be overkill in your situation unless you have an old box
with a working modem lying around...

>If I could find and install such things as Ztelnet or mTelnet I
>might be able to break the impasse.  Even xxmodem.

mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of.  Ztelnet
has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
distros I used.

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
12/23/2006 7:35:41 AM
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
(in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):

> Randy Howard wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote
>>> Randy Howard wrote:
>>>
> ... snip ...

>>> Precisely.  I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
>>> trying.  One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
>>> mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about.  It may
>>> recognize and use the flash drive.  I know it can access the
>>> Internet and the Windows files.
>>
>> Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
>> enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
>> is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire.  Take the
>> drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
>> and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly.  Copy all
>> of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.
>
> That's another viable suggestion.  It has the disadvantage of
> needing new hardware.

Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
new hardware might not be such a bad thing.  :-)

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

0
nunya (4574)
12/24/2006 4:10:59 AM
On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner <rsteiner@visi.com> wrote:

>>If I could find and install such things as Ztelnet or mTelnet I
>>might be able to break the impasse.  Even xxmodem.

> mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of.  Ztelnet
> has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
> I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
> distros I used.

modemu+minicom may be another option.

Bye.
   Jasen
0
jasen3 (149)
12/24/2006 4:26:13 AM
Here in comp.os.linux.misc, jasen <jasen@free.net.nz>
spake unto us, saying:

>On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner <rsteiner@visi.com> wrote:
>
>> mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of.  Ztelnet
>> has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
>> I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
>> distros I used.
>
>modemu+minicom may be another option.

Ah...  A Linux answer to SIO's Vmodem virtual modem driver for OS/2
(which provides a Hayes-compatible virtual modem interface to telnet
for serial-port-based comm programs, etc.).

Excellent!

Can modemu be used in conjunction with DOSEMU to allow DOS comm progs
like Telemate or Telix to be used as a telnet client?  That would be
awesome!  :-)

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
12/24/2006 8:03:52 AM
In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot <nunya@busyness.info> wrote:
: On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
: (in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):

: Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
: the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
: new hardware might not be such a bad thing.  :-)

The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
without this he can use ethernet.

Stan

: --
: Lefty
: All of God's creatures have a place..........
: .........right next to the potatoes and gravy.
: See also: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif

--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com
0
stan38 (496)
12/24/2006 6:29:06 PM
stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot <nunya@busyness.info> wrote:
> : On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
>
> : Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
> : the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
> : new hardware might not be such a bad thing.  :-)
>
> The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
> without this he can use ethernet.

The other end (the W98 system) doesn't have an ethernet connection
so far.

        Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.
     <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

0
cbfalconer (19194)
12/24/2006 6:34:55 PM
On 2006-12-24, Richard Steiner <rsteiner@visi.com> wrote:
> Here in comp.os.linux.misc, jasen <jasen@free.net.nz>
> spake unto us, saying:
>
>>On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner <rsteiner@visi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of.  Ztelnet
>>> has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
>>> I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
>>> distros I used.
>>
>>modemu+minicom may be another option.
>
> Ah...  A Linux answer to SIO's Vmodem virtual modem driver for OS/2
> (which provides a Hayes-compatible virtual modem interface to telnet
> for serial-port-based comm programs, etc.).
>
> Excellent!

> Can modemu be used in conjunction with DOSEMU to allow DOS comm progs
> like Telemate or Telix to be used as a telnet client?  That would be
> awesome!  :-)

It should work... I guess it depends to some extent on which IOCTLs dosemu
uses and which modemu supports.

Bye.
   Jasen
0
jasen3 (149)
12/24/2006 8:08:47 PM
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:29:06 -0600, stan@worldbadminton.com
wrote
(in article <1166984021.211254@newsreg.cos.agilent.com>):

> In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot <nunya@busyness.info> wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
>> (in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):
>

>> Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
>> the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
>> new hardware might not be such a bad thing.  :-)
>

> The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
> without this he can use ethernet.

Then why is he wasting everyone's time driving down a blind
alley?